IMG_6225 (resized).jpg
IMG_6205 (resized).jpg
IMG_6204 (resized).jpg
IMG_6203 (resized).jpg
IMG_4527 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4528 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #149 Deep Dive on features and all that is wonka Posted by pin2d (4 years ago)

Post #150 SDTM video on Wonka - interview with Pat Lawlor and Joe Katz Posted by ZMeny (4 years ago)

Post #160 SDTM gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (4 years ago)

Post #188 Rules Flowchart Posted by f3honda4me (4 years ago)

Post #248 Features Matrix - CE, LE, SE Posted by f3honda4me (4 years ago)

Post #554 Early Stream of a home owner who received their game Posted by Habermania (4 years ago)

Post #785 Gobstopper subway VUK not ejecting ball fix Posted by Lermods (4 years ago)

Post #793 Gobstopper subway VUK fix pics for reference Posted by Lermods (4 years ago)

Post #1130 Latest code changelog Posted by LTG (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dirtbag66.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#152 4 years ago

Definitely interested in buying this game. Won't know until I play it tomorrow. Looks buttery smooth. Wondering what the $2k difference is between standard and LE?

#208 4 years ago

My son and I played it (that's right, PLAYED it, not just watched some videos) and it's solid. Nothing that knocks your socks off, but...*gasp*....FUN!

Seriously, I had a smile on my face the entire time I played it. As soon as my game was done, I wanted more.

As for the new Black Knight....played one game and walked away.

#232 4 years ago

Just put 314,000 on the CE machine. Game definitely needs to be leveled better, and being able to hear what's going on would help as well. Flippers felt a little weak, but I could still make all the shots.

Man, does this game flow well.

#278 4 years ago
Quoted from Willy39:

Can someone who played it comment on this question? How is the sound and the music? I watched the SDTM video and I have to be honest, it sounds so all over the place and really a mess. It actually made me want to turn the sound off. It was very confusing and annoying with music being played over music. I was am wondering how does this sound in person? Thanks!

I thought it sounded great, and will only get better once the code is 100% complete.

#281 4 years ago
Quoted from Willy39:

Thanks for your opinion. I am really wanting to get one, and the music did make me nervous, but I only heard it on the video and stream so I am glad to hear that in person its sounds much better!

You won't know if you like it unless you play it first. I was a little let down by the reveal, but once I played it I fell in love. It shoots so smoothly. Lots to do even if it's lacking all the toys people were expecting. I think modders are going to have a field day with this one. My son and I had huge smiles on our faces the entire time. And that was with it being set to harder difficulty to shorten playing times. Once you have it set up in your house the way you want it, and you can dive deeper into the rules...oh boy!

1 week later
#362 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Someone bit through the wrapper!

Was it this guy?

bnb-1977-05-mike-engelberg (resized).pngbnb-1977-05-mike-engelberg (resized).png
#395 4 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

The universe refuses to ship me a pin.

First World problems!

2 months later
#534 4 years ago

Sooooo, is anyone ready to sell their Wonka yet?

1 week later
#664 4 years ago
Quoted from jrockne:

Now a break for diner

Diner really is a fun, quirky game.

Quoted from jrockne:

then set it up and play till Monday

I'm a big fan of hanging with family and friends while celebrating my country's independence. But, to each his own!

#762 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Jack is going to be streaming from my place this Monday night[quoted image]

Meh. I'll wait for the LE to come out.

#787 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

Kind of awful that this needs to be done with a brand new pinball.

Agreed. I'm all for a few kinks here and there on a new machine, but we're talking about removing a mech and needing to use a file and razor knife for Christ's sake!

Good thing I'm patient and willing to wait for an LE. Let the early adopters find all the flaws, report back to JJP, then JJP fixes everything before I get mine!

#885 4 years ago

Good to see all these things being brought up by the early adopters. Thankfully all of these kinks will get ironed out before the LE and CEs hit the factory line.

Patience is a virtue!

#1039 4 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Wondering why GAP is selling the SE for $500 above retail? Or am I reading this wrong...
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/82162

Overhead.

But seriously, that dude is bad news. Stay away.

#1177 4 years ago
Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

hey wonka lovers and owners:
i have a Wonka SE. my upper left magnet (above the upper left flipper) is NOT working. so, the ball is not being grabbed when the kid multiball target is struck, and when the ramp diverter drops it onto the play field. this is a major bummer, as it affects several aspects of the game.
i have contacted JJP support, and now we seem to be at a dead end. there is continuity everywhere, the magnet is getting power (70v), the fuses are OK, all connections seem fine. i have traced the wires back to the IO board, and no connections are off, or loose. in the test, the magnet will NOT fire at all; it will not grab the ball. it seems as if there is no command being sent to the board to fire the magnet.
any ideas or suggestions would be awesome. I am at the end of my rope.

Add it to the list of reasons why I won't pay $7500 to be a game tester. I absolutely love JJP games, but I'm perfectly fine waiting a while for a later build game that has all these glitches worked out and a later, more fleshed out code on top of that.

Patience is key!

#1228 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

It has big points.[quoted image]

God that's pretty.

#1231 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Does the LE have RGB GI like POTC did? That looks so much more pink and red than my SE.
Come on CE's, ship already!

Having that Wonkavator in the back corner is huge. The SE is just so, empty back there.

#1236 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

I've got a couple hundred games in already on my SE, and I don't miss it one bit.
I'll be purchasing a shaker, volume control & headphone jack, and some kind of wonkavator replacement toy for the upper left corner. The other $1500? I'll pocket it towards my next JJP pin

You think someone in the modding community is going to create a fully functioning physical ball lock?!? That's some serious optimism right there.

#1239 4 years ago

Not likely. I'd be happy with an "out-of-the-field" toy that eats up the empty space.

I don't know. I'd rather pay the extra money for the blue instead of black, Wonkavator, and all the other add-ons already assembled.

Also good to wait for all the SE owners to find all the bugs that will be fixed before I get mine.

Patience.

#1241 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

But I want an Oompa Loompa NOW!

This is essentially Pinside in a nutshell!

#1303 4 years ago
Quoted from psexton:

I am getting this Ramp Diverter - Lower malfunction most times when I start the game. When I go into the test menu, it appears to function best I can tell assuming I am testing the correct coil and that it is lowering as it should. See video below with test on Repeat.

I can call JJP on Monday but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts before this as I have a party planned tonight and want the machine working fully if possible.
Thanks[quoted image]

More problems with the SEs? Hopefully this is all fixed by the time people get their LEs. Just add it to the list of reasons to justify paying $2k more...

#1306 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Because the LE's will be perfect. No issues. Got it!

Definitely never said that. But buyers of the SEs were clearly used as guinea pigs. No way JJP was going to have the people who were willing to pay more (LEs and CEs) be the ones to test their games out and report back.

Patience is key.

#1310 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

So your saying we’re pigs

*guinea pigs

Willing to be experimented on.

#1312 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

That happens with every 1.0 product. Early adopters are, generally speaking, willing to endure the bumps.
First production cars are the same way, I remember getting a new '93 Honda del Sol and it had a fault which caused the rear window to explode. Fixed under warranty.

Cargument incoming!!!

#1319 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

I installed a JJP shaker motor on my Wonka SE yesterday. Installation was super easy: the posts are already in place and the hardware is included. You just need a phillips-head screwdriver and about 5-10 spare minutes.
The effect is subtle and not overused, as has been noted by others. It shakes when the Gobstopper target is hit and during certain modes. The most fun surprise was when Wonkatania Mania (Stop the Boat!) mode activated. The game starts to "pulse" in a rhythm that makes it feel like you are in a rowing boat! Very cool and a must-have addition for SE owners.
As has been stated, you can order them from Pinball Life, and I have heard (but not confirmed) that you can order them directly from JJP as well.

How much did that run you with shipping?

#1332 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Its alive. [quoted image][quoted image]

Where's the Wonkavator?!?

#1334 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

That's an SE, yo.

Oh, I know. I was simply pointing out that extremely bare spot in the back.

#1337 4 years ago

Alright, we get it. Everyone here knows that there's no Wonkavator on the SE. Knock it off.

The cracks are forming...

#1342 4 years ago

Isn't this a forum dedicated to talking about pinball, whether it's positive or negative?

#1344 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Two things here:
1. You are not talking. You are trolling.
2. This is a club thread where owners can talk about their game. They are more positive and have less tolerance for overly negative stuff.

This is just a Wonka Club. Not exclusive to owners.

#1348 4 years ago

You've already made your point. Stop beating the dead horse.

A reasonable person could assume that the majority of people posting in this thread are either owners of the Wonka pin, or are interested in being owners, or interested in the pin itself. Otherwise why bother? There are plenty of other topics to spend time on Pinside posting in.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the absence of a single mechanism (the Wonkavator) in the SE is FAR outweighed by the cost savings of $2,000.00. Truth be told, I'm not sure I would have purchased a NIB pin if it were over $8K.
Yes, I understand there are other premium items on the LE. I prefer the SE artwork; I prefer the black armor and mirror silver wireforms, and I can buy the shaker, volume control and invisiglass for under $500. Aside from some other small differences, the Wonkavator is all that's left. I'll keep the extra $1500 in my pocket, thanks.

I'm in on an LE. Am I worthy of speaking in this forum now?

#1349 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

He's clearly a troll with 37% of the votes he receives as downvotes.

I get downvoted because I don't think the world is full of sunshine and roses. Someone has to call these companies out from time to time.

#1353 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

What are we calling them out for? For bringing the price down on the SE and broadening their market? I am glad they were able to get this game down to $7500.

I never said I was calling JJP out for anything Wonka related. They've had their missteps (WoZ lighting issues, Hobbit delay, removing the triple spinning disc on Pirates and subsequently pulling the plug on production, removing the Monkey mech on WoZ and charging MORE for it, etc). It's when I call out companies like Stern or (*gasp* Spooky!) when the mob mentality kicks in and I'm labeled a "troll".

1 week later
#1601 4 years ago

Holy crap! There's already a SE up for sale?!?

Starting to reconsider buying this game. The description says it's about six weeks old. Unreal.

#1604 4 years ago

Are the LEs having the same diverter problems as the SEs?

1 week later
#1873 4 years ago

I kind of understand the whole "call until you get a live person" schtick, but come on, it's 2019. If you plan on succeeding as a business these days, you HAVE to respond to emails. Not a good look to just ignore them.

#2005 4 years ago

*phew*

Glad I'm waiting this storm out. Seeing lots of unhappy customers around these parts.

#2009 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Your still here,I thought you were gone playing the hell out of the Wonka you never intended to buy

Pumping the brakes until all the kinks are ironed out. Glad I did! The game will come around. Just glad I'm not the one being experimented on!

#2033 4 years ago
Quoted from Marcdaddy:

Just got mine tonight, build date 8/2/19 playfield looks minty.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

So wait, it's brand new out of the box...and the playfield is minty?!?

Shocker!

Congrats, though. Hope it doesn't give you as many headaches as the rest of the guys here.

#2036 4 years ago
Quoted from Parzival:

Do you have picts of your WONKA?

Not yet! Patience, my friend. Patience

#2039 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Patience my ass your just trolling

You need to settle down and go play some pinball.

#2040 4 years ago

Glad I quoted you before that sweet, sweet edit!

#2110 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Wonka back up and running!
Big Thanks to Zach Meny @ Flipnout Pinball

You couldn't even play it?!?

Chipped playfields, bummer.
Diverter not working properly, that stinks.

But not being able to play AT ALL? Yikes. Good thing I'm waiting.

1 week later
#2243 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

My wife blew this thing up tonight - completely destroyed my 2.6M high score![quoted image]

I see she put the glass back on before taking the picture. Smart.

#2289 4 years ago

Has anyone explained why Kaneda got kicked out of the live stream last night?

#2292 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I think I can sum it up with DILLIGAF.

I understand you don't "GAF", but I'm just wondering if he was being rude, or if it's just another attempt to look away at the issues surrounding this game. If we continue to ignore these things, then it's just going to keep happening. I for one am not a big fan of paying close to five figures for machines that aren't thoroughly inspected before being thrown into a box and shipped out.

#2298 4 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Kaneda didn't get kicked out. I gave him and Jobber each 60 second timeouts because Skip asked them to stop bickering and they didn't.

Then why delete all of his comments? Give them their timeout, then move on. Deleting the comments looks like you're trying to hide something.

#2303 4 years ago
Quoted from Skipnatty:

Replied via DM but I'll include that here too for others that are curious.
The two big things were we testing last night were changes to the upper left flipper magnet and its durability...specifically in longer games and after being played for longer periods, the magnet would become overheated and shut itself down for safety purposes. So I was testing the durability of that magnet throughout the night and whether or not it was missing or not activating when it should.
Second, the timing of the release of the Wonkavator locks was changed in the LE/CE, so we were watching that...those were the big things that I was looking for.

Okay. And? What did you find?

#2337 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Do you seriously think we left that out because we're idiots or do you think that we probably tried and weren't allowed to?

Well, this escalated quickly!

#2396 4 years ago
Quoted from Freakyguy666:

WTF? “QC Stuff” like this just reeks of carelessness. It seems everyday a new owner reports “QC Stuff”....don’t they realize after a prolonged period this tarnishes the brand? I know quite a few pinheads that are holding off purchasing due to these QC issues and they would prefer to wait and buy them 2nd hand...afterall, if you’re gonna be fixing issues on a brand new machine, why not fix them on a 2nd hand machine and save thousands?

I've been one of JJP's biggest fanboys ever since I plunked $1 into a Wizard of Oz years ago. Told myself I would own one someday, and had to sell three machines to do it. Now I have a Dialed In and would love to get my hands on a reasonably priced Pirates. My son and I played Wonka at MGC and were blown away. Started the process of selling multiple machines so I could get one.

But after coming to this thread every day and seeing something new when it comes to "QC issues", it's got me feeling really down. Seriously. It's every day! Are they just tightening the final screw then tossing them into a box to be shipped? I get that after the financial failure that Pirates was they are now just trying to satisfy their angel investors, but come on.

I feel bad for all the owners of Wonka who have had to endure this. It really sucks. They will most likely fix everything that is wrong for JJP#6, whether it's GnR or Toy Story, but the damage is done in my eyes.

#2398 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

Are you yourself holding off on purchasing?
Not just this, but any pin. Ever. I'm curious.

"any pin"? Even second hand machines that cost a quarter of what a brand new Wonka costs? Can't really compare the two. If it was one or two minor issues, I could understand. But these are major concerns here. And they want us to pay $7500-9500 to get on board? No thanks.

#2402 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

I'm not arguing that games are not overpriced, nor am I suggesting that issues with expensive games should be accepted or overlooked. On the contrary, as an owner I expect to get what I pay for and I expect the company to stand by their work.
I just think that a person (not you) that does not and will probably not EVER own a pinball machine who comes to the forum for owners and starts raving about how he and others are boycotting the game over issues as simple as a slightly bent wire just sound like an empty-headed little trolls. And these topics are lousy with them.

The title just says "Wonka Club", nothing about owners only.

And are you seriously saying the issues with this game can be described as "simple as a slightly bent wire"? Seriously?!?

Call me a troll all you want, but you are wrong. People who expect to get a quality product when they spend close to ten grand on a machine are not trolls. They are realists.

#2403 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I've had almost no issues with my potc and Wonka. Pinside has a concentration issue, people post because they have issues and want to alert other owners, and get help with their issues.
You won't see many posts saying "my game is perfect," there's not much point in posting that other than to maybe reassure others that it's not every game My issues with potc have been a bad camera, a flipper adjustment and an opto came out of its housing on a ramp. For Wonka, the only issue I had was having to adjust the coil power on the gobstopper mech.
Jjp promptly replaced my potc camera.

Just like I had no issues with my WoZ. Doesn't mean the lighting board issue never existed. Turning a blind eye to the people who are experiencing major issues with their machines just because yours is fine isn't going to put pressure on JJP to fix their mistakes.

#2406 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

I didn't call YOU a troll. I called the person I was replying to (a member for only a few months who owns NO machines and has made about 25 mostly negative posts) a troll, and you jumped right on that grenade. Do you have a persecution complex or something?
When my Wonka arrived, the tilt bobber wire was a little bent. I bent it back. It works fine now. I didn't need a legion of people who don't own the machine to start throwing conniption fits on my behalf.

If you weren't replying to me, then why did you quote me? Why not quote the person you are calling a troll?

The internet can be hard sometimes. I get it.

#2412 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

It certainly can! You, for example, entirely missed the part where I clearly said "(Not you)" in that reply.
Sigh...

Why not skip the "(Not you)" part and just quote the guy you're talking to? I wonder what your communication skills are like in person...

#2413 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

Nope. I have blistering too. Visible damage underneath the star posts when I installed the washer kit they provided. It might become chipping one day. I'm an owner. I have notified JJP.
My post is about people who don't and likely may never own the game jumping on every single thing, be it a bent wire or an incorrect LED light, and turning it into a crusade for reasons I can not fathom. There are tons of threads out there where you can bitch about that to like-minded people all day long. But coming here and raving about "the damage to the brand!" when you don't have a single dog in the fight is just... perplexing.

But that's just it. I WANT to have a dog in this fight. Or at least, I wanted to. Wonka blew me away at MGC. These issues piling up have made me completely change my mind. I want JJP to succeed because their games are fun. But all these QC issues are making that harder and harder to happen in my opinion.

#2503 4 years ago

I feel like one of the biggest issues with this hobby in general is the abundance of "well, MY game works fine, so..." comments whenever any problems start popping up. These comments don't help one bit. If anything, they are just salt in the wound for people who ARE suffering.

Just because your game works 100%, doesn't mean the issue(s) don't exist.

#2512 4 years ago

I'm well aware of how to handle these kinds of issues. I've already had my trough opto boards replaced once under warranty.
I'm going to have to play some more test games tonight to see how many balls get pushed out during the various multi balls. Dammit.
-wonka owner #08742206, play field #105, clear coat case #5107

But you shouldn't be frustrated, because other people aren't having this issue. Their machine is working just fine! /s

#2533 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

And if you think other manufacturers don't have issues, you'd be wrong.

Who said that? I'm more upset at the fact the quality of machines being churned out over at Stern these past few years has been steadily declining, and JJP has this giant window they could be jumping through. But instead they are slamming that window down on their fingers and stomping around the room cursing. Fix your games. Make them bulletproof for what you are asking us to pay for them. That is how they will become the gold standard in this industry.

#2537 4 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

Hmmm.. after 500 games , seriously thinking of changing the left outlane setup..
Whats the consensus on this from owners? I know its my game and set up however, but I usually like to stick to factory. High scores are all 3 mil up so dont want to screw it so the games are too long, but sometimes its just brutal( unneccesary unfair at times too)
Whats the most fair option?
Remove only the rubber from the middle post, add a bare post in the low position, high, with or without ring?
Audits on my game give 3600 left outlane v 399 on the right, seems a little too biased
And Yep.. play better I know

Sad man

#2542 4 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

Thank you, good input.

Same to you, big guy.

#2571 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

You have a choice of a piece of plastic with a sticker of some sort on it or this beautifully printed factory. Why does this particular mod have to be interactive? An opto inside to do what? And where are these happy meal mods I keep reading about?

Just his opinions, man. Settle down.

#2581 4 years ago

I know it's a fun game, I was one of the first to play it at MGC.

I also don't think it's crazy for people to expect a premium product when they are paying premium prices. If all we do is continue to defend shoddy manufacturing, the problems will continue to exist.

#2583 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Alright we got it already enough of this shit.

No, you don't "got it already". The amount of gushing and flat out ignoring of major issues in this thread means JJP won't make any changes to the way they make their games. Until we are all on the same page, we can expect this same thing to happen with game #6, #7, #8, etc.

#2588 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

This is a club thread. Gushing about the game is what it's for. There are plenty of other complaint threads but this one is for owners enjoying their games, right?

It just says "Wonka Club", nothing about owners only.

#2601 4 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

but can look past it instead of dwelling on them over and over and enjoy the game itself

And therein lies the issue. The more we "look past", the less likely these problems will go away.

2 weeks later
#2796 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Have i mentioned how good this pin really is lately? Lol. I have played more pinball since getting wonka than i have the past year combined. I just love playing it as its just plain fun and puts a smile on my face no matter what kind of day I'm having.....that's what a great pinball is supposed to do imo. I don't get how anyone cld not like this pin....

I don't think it's that people don't like it. The issues are with the fact they are charging a premium price and are getting an inferior product. Simply throwing a bunch of money at something then turning a blind eye to it's shortcomings is really an awful way to go about things.

#2803 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Yep best pinball experience I've had in a long while and its only gonna get better as the code evolves.

....and the playfield continues to deteriorate.

#2821 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

I blocked him (and his other account that he made to agree with himself) awhile back and this thread has been way better since.

"Other account"?!?

What size tinfoil hat are you wearing right now?

1 month later
#3334 4 years ago

Nothing like have some friends over to see your new $10k machine and every time they plunge the ball, it goes SDTM. They do this three straight times, then walk away saying, "What a waste of money! But, it's beautiful, I guess". Then you tell them they need to nudge it, every time, and they say, "What?!?"

Yeah, good times.

#3337 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Too bad no one would tell them about the skill shots.

Because the average person who knows nothing about pinball other than how to plunge the ball and wail on the flippers is going to know what the hell a skill shot is?!?

#3341 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

He's just a little punk ,with a keyboard.He would never talk the shit he talks face
to face with real men.

"Hey, why are you two fighting?"

"Well, you see. He said something negative about a pinball machine I bought"

"What?!?"

"Yeah, it was a Willy Wonka. I spent a ton of $$$ on it and I got triggered when he said something mean about it"

"Dork"

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Corona, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dirtbag66.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside?tu=dirtbag66 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.