Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 213.
    #4151 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

This hobby has been plagued with scam artists and startup failures. Predaturd, Jplop, DP, Heighway and the atom bomb Derppoop.
    John has shown no ability to produce and is asking for money. He MUST be challenged.
    "Benefit of the doubt" has cost this hobby MILLIONS.

I say go for it and you have already provided some great insight and advice to John. But maybe try doing it with a little less vitriol and personal insults.

John is not Jpop, Andrew Heighway or Robert Mueller. Far from it.

#4152 1 year ago

John is an adult.

John knows what is best for John.

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

#4153 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Edit: this thread has just become a perpetual argument.

That's debatable. I call BS on this myself! Prove me wrong!

#4154 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I say go for it and you have already provided some great insight and advice to John. But maybe try doing it with a little less vitriol and personal insults.
    John is not Jpop, Andrew Heighway or Robert Mueller. Far from it.

He asked the community for money. And he's running the same failed business model as JPOP which is thinking the cost of development can be amortized across 10-20 games. It can't.

I'm sick of scammers. John is STILL fishing for whales. If he was pitching a license people actually wanted, we'd have a problem.

#4155 1 year ago

Not sure if GWJ knows all the shit that can go wrong in manufacturing. Lots of potential for problems with a 6 month timeline.

#4156 1 year ago

I think Iceman should start a club thread.

(please don't make me use the sarcasm emoji)

#4157 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Over 7 years into the building of his team. This should add some confidence to the feasibility of GWJ's six month plan.
    [quoted image]

Some you guys are really good sleuths digging up some gold nuggets from the past. Contrary to what a few think I have been active talking with industry people over the years. Andrew Heighway was one who took some advice from me, & did it his way. I would of went really slow, watch my space requirements, & not try to do everything in house.

As for the challenge from Pinball Adventures feel free to post your update pictures here. People can see the difference between a one man build with help from contractors. Same with the Ballarama couple over the next 6 months.

#4158 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Not sure if GWJ knows all the shit that can go wrong in manufacturing. Lots of potential for problems with a 6 month timeline.

In scheduling lingo. If GWJ were to create a detailed plan and allocate time to each step and sequence the steps to somehow end up a mere six months later, almost every activity would be on the critical path and there would be multiple critical paths. Total float on the project is already starting at zero. There can be no delays to almost any tasks and still end up at TPF2023. John is setting himself up for failure with a faulty plan. However many believe he has no detailed plan but for a few scribbles on a beer stained, cocktail napkin. Chances for project succeeding are low. I put it at 8% chance they develop a decent game. The theme is at a critical juncture. It should either be changed back to TPB as intended for a passion project or to a decent theme. Almost any theme is better than trailer trash red neck girls.

#4159 1 year ago

Kim the title still could change to Redneck Riviera, or what ever Doug wants on September 1. He is still the only mini whale or investor of $1k USD so far. I have a wealth of dealing with contractors & what can go wrong. Still enjoying my last few days likely drinking, & I usually do the same in tournament play. The playfield design is still from Jon Norris with minor changes by me.

#4160 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

As for the challenge from Pinball Adventures feel free to post your update pictures here. People can see the difference between a one man build with help from contractors. Same with the Ballarama couple over the next 6 months.

Please, for the love of God, Keep that shit in its own train wreck thread.

#4161 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

In scheduling lingo. If GWJ were to create a detailed plan and allocate time to each step and sequence the steps to somehow end up a mere six months later, almost every activity would be in the critical path and there are multiple critical paths. Total float on the project is already starting at zero. There can be no delays to almost any tasks and still end up at TPF2023. John is setting himself up for failure with a faulty plan. However many believe he has no detailed plan but for a few scribbles in a napkin. Chances for that occurring in time are low. I put it at 8% chance they will develop a decent game.

I have full faith in my timeline, contractors, & myself. The plan is working & as you can see I am enjoying my summer of drinking beer. The whale hunt is winding down, & the build starts September 1.

#4162 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

John has shown no ability to produce and is asking for money. He MUST be challenged.

Why, only one person's money is on the line and he is well aware of the risk
    ... what's to gain by continually getting on the soapbox - nobody else is giving him money and he is not going to listen to your advice
    something like 80 pages ago there was plenty of good evidence that this is a less than cohesive plan.... not sure what constantly repeating it is going to accomplish/ I mean, any sane investor (no offense ICE) would read about his daily beer counts and run away.

#4163 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Speaking of beer and monster trucks, my good buddy owns a few trucks, including the Red Dog truck!
    https://monstertruck.fandom.com/wiki/Red_Dog

Love to have a signed pic for my man cave...please pm me!!!

#4164 1 year ago

This might be an excellent time to inumerate on the sport of monster trucking. Is it a sport? Are drivers athletes? I’d say yea to it being a sport and no to being an athlete. That puts it in the good company with competitive pinball.

3D1FAC50-C16C-40D3-BB08-0C18364D76DD.jpeg3D1FAC50-C16C-40D3-BB08-0C18364D76DD.jpeg
    #4165 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I mean, any sane investor (no offense ICE) would read about his daily beer counts and run away.

Counts that appear to have recently increased by the way. Purely coincidental I’m sure. It is the end of summer after all…

#4166 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

Counts that appear to have recently increased by the way. Purely coincidental I’m sure. It is the end of summer after all…

The Canadian Border Beer Index is trending up but is nowhere near it’s 50-year highs.

#4167 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Love to have a signed pic for my man cave...please pm me!!!

I'll see what I can do for ya! I know he's got photos and also this awesome t-shirt he sells when he goes to events

123_1(2) (resized).jpeg123_1(2) (resized).jpeg
    #4168 1 year ago

Wasn't Punny Factory announced 3 years ago? And is only now slowly shipping?

Will John take a hint? Of course not!

I hope Ice goes all "sunk cost fallacy" and turns his 10k POS game into a 30k POS game.

#4169 1 year ago

So now Ben is coming around to there will be 1 or 2 Ice games for Texas in March 2023 SXSW & TPF. That they have moved from being DOA to likely playable with more investment by Ice. Could be but I am trying to keep them at $10k USD each with out a industry professional artist. But ultimately my investor will decide the plan.

#4170 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:The sign shop with the cnc that I have used as my contractor will do the cad & cut the playfield(s). Same as the hundreds of Star Gazer, & Seawitch playfields done over 8 years before it was sold over a year ago to Fantastic Pinball.

The same sign shop from this post?

proof2 (resized).pngproof2 (resized).png
    #4171 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

[quoted image]

Yeah probably but come on they are only cutting one playfield. How long could that take..?

#4172 1 year ago

So now Ben is coming around to there will be 1 or 2 Ice games for Texas in March 2023 SXSW & TPF. That they have moved from being DOA to likely playable with more investment by Ice. Could be but I am trying to keep them at $10k USD each with out a industry professional artist. But ultimately my investor will decide the plan.

LOL.....John we ALL have known for weeks only 1 or 2 builds. It's YOU that is finally realizing 1 or 2 games and NOT up to 10!

#4173 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

[quoted image]

Of course, you have to spread the blame!

#4174 1 year ago

Maybe things have changed over those seven years. Supply chains are better, labor easier to find, delays in general are less common thanks to covid.

#4175 1 year ago

There are even more wood cnc tables out in shops than 7 years ago. The printer that I was using for doing playfield & glass work was not used for cnc work even though they had one. The new contractor for the cabinet has a cnc. I want to stay with the sign shop that cut my playfields for years since they know how to cut a proper shooter lane to the right length (not like some others) or not being there (Jpop Magic Girl playfields).

The custom plywood in both 1/2" & 3/4" is stocked locally by Robert Bury for their biggest customer & others. Baltic Birch with thin hard maple veneers good both sides, no voids, & no boat tail repairs.

#4176 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

LOL.....John we ALL have known for weeks only 1 or 2 builds. It's YOU that is finally realizing 1 or 2 games and NOT up to 10!

You might be surprised, & if you firmly believe that only 1 or 2 games for Ice is the only result. You will know by March 2023.

#4177 1 year ago

When I finally sold my business over a year ago to Fantastic Pinball I was in a serious financial crisis working on: Seawitch (30) & Star Gazer (18) playfields in production. Greg Walker stepped in to buy me out, take care of the few remaining Seawitch playfield customers (which has been done), & pay the last bill for cutting the playfields. I had all the inserts done & they were getting ready for printing. Over the years I personally had to get inserts done like the classic Stern yellow arrow (which CPR got 700 for their production of their titles that use them), & trans blue in 3/4" & 1" by the thousands. Pinball production is very hard, & I do know something from my last 15 years. Plus working on hundreds of games the last 27 years.

Fantastic Pinball will do the printing & finish clear coats of the build for playfields.

#4178 1 year ago

When I finally sold my business over a year ago to Fantastic Pinball I was in a serious financial crisis working on: Seawitch (30) & Star Gazer (18) playfields in production. Greg Walker stepped in to buy me out, take care of the few remaining Seawitch playfield customers (which has been done), & pay the last bill for cutting the playfields. I had all the inserts done & they were getting ready for printing. Over the years I personally had to get inserts done like the classic Stern yellow arrow (which CPR got 700 for their production of their titles that use them), & trans blue in 3/4" & 1" by the thousands. Pinball production is very hard, & I do know something from my last 15 years. Plus working on hundreds of games the last 27 years.
    Fantastic Pinball will do the printing & finish clear coats of the build for playfields.

But what is the beer count?

#4179 1 year ago

No John, I am still sticking with "complete failure". Maybe you haul some POS WW to Expo a year from now but you won't make TPF.

#4180 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Wasn't Punny Factory announced 3 years ago? And is only now slowly shipping?

It's slowly shipping? If you know that to be the case then jump on your twitter machine because you've got a global breaking news exclusive.

#4181 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

It's slowly shipping? If you know that to be the case then jump on your twitter machine because you've got a global breaking news exclusive.

Thought they were still working on the first one for Bill? Ok now Ben is down to a playfield like Jpop Houdini playfield not until Expo 2023. The bar keeps dropping, you would think it would be better than that with my past playfield production & a Jon Norris design.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/original-jpop-houdini-coming-soon

#4182 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

That's why I thought my start a Club Thread comment was so funny. It would only be one guy there.
    (and a fight would still break out)

Well, anyway..... I thought it was funny

#4183 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

That's why I thought my start a Club Thread comment was so funny. It would only be one guy there.

I thought it was funny, but I think we should get it started anyway! No this thread is enough to deal with! LOL

#4184 1 year ago

I had all the inserts done & they were getting ready for printing. Over the years I personally had to get inserts done like the classic Stern yellow arrow (which CPR got 700 for their production of their titles that use them), & trans blue in 3/4" & 1" by the thousands. .

proof6 (resized).pngproof6 (resized).png

Delays happen.

#4185 1 year ago

I would love to see any sort of schedule John has made for the project

Pat Lawlor once gave an Expo presentation that he later reposted on his website https://web.archive.org/web/20061205224837/http://www.patlawlordesign.com/making/index.html

He mapped out the entire timeline for his project (full of actual experienced pinball people, not a mix of pros and hobbyist)

Look at his seven month projection for Monopoly (and John should have a leg up with Jon Norris providing a decent white wood design)

whole (resized).jpgwhole (resized).jpg

>Every Monday I would loudly declare TIME MARCHES ON! and move a yellow post-it arrow sticker one click to the right. Then I would stand back and see how much work we still had to go.

I sure hope John has a similar system as he's mostly dealing with sub contractors and not direct employees in his workshop. I've said it before and someone else brought it up, if you're not figuring out your critical path now you are boned later.

#4186 1 year ago

Pinball production is very hard, & I do know something from my last 15 years.

I am starting to feel like you have forgotten some things from the past. There is no room for patience in a 6 month build.

Not trying to bust your balls, John, but those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

proof5 (resized).pngproof5 (resized).png
    #4187 1 year ago

Also I do think it's a feather in John's cap to be experienced with things like making specs, ordering, and receiving custom insert lenses....but ain't no body got time for that in this build

Have you started to learn how to wire a game to the FAST platform? Is that still the system being used? Has it been ordered? Because as I pointed out a few days ago, it's on backorder. Don't see how a coder can start without a flipping white wood (well actually I do see how they could start, but they could have also already started work by this point - just like John could already be working with artists, ordering parts, etc)

#4188 1 year ago

Parts are being ordered, light lenses will only be stock available ones, & it is to early for art. Still going with the Fast unless the well is bone dry.

#4189 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Hey i thought it was funny Kim. Lol.

I'm enjoying just sitting back and watching the show right now.

Not sure why Ben really cares so much wasting his time here. He thinks John is an idiot and he'd love to see me lose $$$. How many other broken record ways can you say it? It's just John and I in this party with the peanut gallery!

#4190 1 year ago

Parts are being ordered, light lenses will only be stock available ones, & it is to early for art. Still going with the Fast unless the well is bone dry.

Get them part orders in ASAP

Looking forward to this becoming a homebrew wiring troubleshooting guide later. Some people can learn things and laugh along the way. Everyone wins.

#4191 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Have you started to learn how to wire a game to the FAST platform? Is that still the system being used? Has it been ordered? Because as I pointed out a few days ago, it's on backorder. Don't see how a coder can start without a flipping white wood (well actually I do see how they could start, but they could have also already started work by this point

80 year bad parts shortages? That won't stop Wonder Boy John! How will he deal with it? Well he's had 8 beers by 5 pm that's how!

#4192 1 year ago

Getting ready for the weekend & drinking beer. Maybe pick up some more napkins at the bar. Skilled at a bunch of stuff besides raising a glass, can, or bottle of beer to my mouth. Should be a interesting 6 months.

#4193 1 year ago

I thought Ben Heck was working on a board set you could use.

#4194 1 year ago

If beer is the ingredient that unlock John’s irrational confidence to pull this off, start exporting cases Ice.

That is nothing like the paradox of throwing money/time at a problem making it worse…

#4195 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Get them part orders in ASAP

Here's another example of shit going wrong, not your fault GWJ. But it happens. What if this happens in the 6 month window?

I'm pulling for ya man but the more I dig, the more I doubt 6 months is going to work.

proof1 (resized).pngproof1 (resized).png
    #4196 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

If beer is the ingredient that unlock John’s irrational confidence to pull this off, start exporting cases Ice.
    That is nothing like the paradox of throwing money/time at a problem making it worse…

That’s the plan! Gotta fuel the creative juices.

Heading out to happy hour now myself.

Btw, who was the AMH artist? Want to avoid that one.

They must have sketched it out on a napkin over a drunk happy hr

Whatever it’s gonna be, the artwork will be 10x

#4197 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Btw, who was the AMH artist? Want to avoid that one.
    They must have sketched it out on a napkin over a drunk happy hr
    Whatever it’s gonna be, the artwork will be 10x

Actually, it's brilliant. Even though the art was not top notch it sold the whole run and paid for most of Ben's house. If they ever rerun the game with new stunning art it can be a CE and command higher price.

#4198 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Actually, it's brilliant. Even though the art was not top notch it sold the whole run and paid for most of Ben's house. If they ever rerun the game with new stunning art it can be a CE and command higher price.

Exactly. Ben shouldn’t have been such a cheapskate and put more into the art instead of his house. Lol

It’s actually a decent game otherwise. Played it in Austin at Pinballz when it came out

It came out in 2014. 8 years later it’s been one helluva supply chain issue for Ben pin #2

#4199 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

No it paid for like a 1/3 of my house, after taxes. I haven't decided which rooms exactly.

Ice WISHES he'd get a game as good as AMH out of John. He knows he won't HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

#4200 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Here's another example of shit going wrong, not your fault GWJ. But it happens. What if this happens in the 6 month window?
    I'm pulling for ya man but the more I dig, the more I doubt 6 months is going to work.
    [quoted image]

What truly is most stunning here is that John has experienced countless delays and cost overruns on his previous projects. So he is seemingly not unaware of what can go wrong, even on just a couple of pieces of a full game. Despite that there is a bluster about everything is going according to plan - when let’s be honest there is no actual plan. I keep seeing this again and again where there is this reality distortion field people get caught up in. Despite all evidence to the contrary they choose to believe differently. And then when reality whacks them upside of the head it becomes all “I woulda met that timeline, I coulda been a contender, if not for thay awful person X who screwed up”. Surprisingly person X will never be GWJ. But we can help out here “John I think you coulda finished on that six month timeline if that awful person GWJ had actually had a written realistic plan, but instead he screwed up and drank beer for 2 months”. Tuck it safely away for 6 months from now.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 213.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching/page/84 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.