Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1158 Summary of downsides Posted by pookycade (1 year ago)

Post #5133 Programmer Posted by Mr68 (1 year ago)

Post #5520 2nd installment of $1k USD Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #5946 Week 3 summary Posted by Beechwood (1 year ago)

Post #6424 Thread summary for week 5 Posted by Beechwood (1 year ago)

Post #7332 How to reset your password Posted by Jvspin (1 year ago)

Post #8068 Another $1k USD provided ($5k now?) Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #9810 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #10008 Another installment of $1k USD ($6k total now?) Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blueberryjohnson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

428 posts in this topic match your search for posts by blueberryjohnson. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #46 1 year ago

I don't know why thread one was borked. I wish it had not been. I am glad this one has risen up to keep the dream alive.

Suggestion to OP Beechwood to hopefully avoid a similar fate here: Update thread title to something like Trailer Park Boys Pinball and relocate it to the homebrew (or boutique) forum. It will be a community service to stay abreast of developments regarding this pre-production machine.

#54 1 year ago

Why only $100k? Wouldn't prospects for quality and success improve with a 250k ultra or 500k giga whale?

#73 1 year ago

With the IP revealed and John still hunting whale(s), what if a shark gobbles up the license a la American and Sonic?

#190 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Told to stop posting about #2, my favorite activity besides pinball. #3 August 1, is Plan B.

Defecating is your second-favorite activity?

#222 1 year ago

John, what's the breakdown for the $100k in terms of what goes to who for what en route to creating a machine?

#365 1 year ago

Thar she blows

#411 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

This raises some questions. By picking the theme for the "whale", GWJ has potentially eliminated many investors who have no knowledge or interest in Trailer Park Boys. Add on that the lack of business plan, established team, and insanely short period of time to finish the product it will be quite the challenge to pull off.

The bigger the challenge, the bigger the achievement!

#426 1 year ago

Yes I am gauging whether a big whale investor is found, or if it is even possible to produce a small amount. If it moves forward with permission for 1 (big whale) or up to 3 (mini whale), or just dies from lack of interest & investment.
    There is not any information on that guy doing anything that I could search out. Never heard of anyone doing a Trailer Park Boys pinball machine.
    Not giving up. Deadline is July 31, Big Whale Investor $100k US, & August 31, 3 Mini Whale Investors (TBD $$$).

Is whaling not outlawed in Canada? I thought it was 1 big whale = 10 mini whales. What happened to the other 7?

#439 1 year ago

No I am not looking for a license to produce TPB pinball games. Just looking to have either a super pimped out $100k US one of a kind, or
    3 lower entry level examples like a pro but with some bling.

Wait, before the particular license was named, the pitch was for a licensed pin. That's the reason we even got around to talking about the license and eventually knowing what it is.

First the thinning of the herd of mini whales from 10 to 3 and now this? With several more inconsistencies like these, a mote of doubt may creep in regarding the rock solidness of this plan.

Note: Apparently a group of whales is most commonly called a pod or gam.

#479 1 year ago

Though—unlike John— I do not have experience with or know people in pinball manufacturing, I think I see a practical way forward.

$20k: One-off TPB license (a fair chunk of no-effort beer money for the guys)
    $10k: BOM + labor to build John Norris Tour De France design (https://www.knapparcade.org/post/new-tour-de-france-pinball-design-from-jon-norris)
    $50k: pimped out bling to theme to license (diamond-entrusted toy RV, gold and platinum mini six pack)

I'm not familiar with the IP, so the theme ideas are just examples, not prescriptions.

How do these numbers look?

#497 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

I got the ramps. Let’s keep this bitch 100% custom…

I'll provide pro bono creatively consultancy

#575 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Not to say all the parts weren’t there ready to go before the SEC stepped in. They were

Lol

#582 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Is that what the working RAZA went for? Wow! I guess someone was buying the story that comes with the game.

No. It went for significantly less.

#584 1 year ago
    Quoted from ViperVS:

Did it include software?

I don't know. But since the guy who bought it owns the company that did the software, it very likely doesn't matter.

#605 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I’d like to solve the puzzle now Pat.
    Can’t see it with your own eyes or do you need a court filing to tell you everything? LOL

Hahaha. Iceman, you are deeproot's second-biggest buffoon. The "insider" who truly knew nothing. Everything you claimed about the company was publicly proven to be incorrect. How do we know? It's all documented here on pinside for anyone who wants to look.

And no, I don't need court filings to tell me everything. Why? Because I have actual insiders who share real things with me. How do we know? It's all documented here on pinside for anyone who wants to look.

You have less credibility than John has a chance of getting his $100k. And for all his beer talk, you're the mega whale of drunken pinball clowns.

#607 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Yeah I thought it was pretty crazy Ice just came back and saying they were ready
    Ready for what, exactly, the other shoe to drop? I think that is where the SEC stepped in.

He said they had all the parts to make the games! Why, if it wasn't for that meddling SEC, we'd be playing our pimped out Goonies games right now!

#612 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

You saw it with your own eyes court reporter. What a waste of time joke!
    Anyone that actually walked through the DR facilities, like I did, or participated in the auction understands what was there.
    Or maybe people are saying ALL the employees knew that it was some massive Ponzi scheme and participated in the fraud? No I think that’s reserved for Mueller and only he knew the extent of it. His former lawyer certainly did not.
    You still live your life in it that pathetic puzzle thread. It’s a sad narrative for the lives of the mini mob drama queens. You are still stuck with yourselves after it’s all said and done.
    And a “buffoon” on Deeproot? I wear it proudly. Lol
    You did get the “whale” part right guppy
    And yes it all documented right there. Everything I claimed was true! Straight from the SEC filings from day one. Look it up fake news court reporter.
    Go get em GWJ!!!!!

Anyone who's followed your deeproot posting history knows your constant revisionist history is 100% bullshit. That's a settled matter. The only remaining question is whether or not you yourself know it. Do you consciously put up this false front to try to save face or does hubris compel you to subconsciously lie even to yourself? Perhaps trained psychologist Mr. Meny could offer an expert opinion.

Anyway, so as not to further derail the great white whale search, please post any more of your deeproot whoppers in the deeproot thread. And as a bonus, if there ends up being a deeproot 2.0, then the financial damage to the pinball community your shilling for them will cause will at least be somewhat contained.

#637 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Just a few of my early 700+ posts from over 4 years ago. ALL of them right there, beginning to end. Doesn’t include the early negative ones I erased due to the lawyer requests. I complied.

For years you were the leader of everything's great at deeproot, trust me—I've got the inside scoop—so ignore the naysayers, f the haters, we're getting our awesome games, etc.

Was there a specific moment when you became so ashamed of your shameless raza cheerleading you decided to try to rewrite that narrative? I thought you were a guy who doesn't care what others think.

Having already spent however long going through your old posts, why not embrace your history and pom poms and share the rah rah ones?

#688 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Well, there is a plan B, which is 10 "mini whales", and plan C which is 3 "mini whales". Medium whales need not apply.
    I think that's accurate

The whale body shaming on this thread is reprehensible.

#814 1 year ago

Back at the workshop, & likely I have 5 people in the mini whale group. The maximum is 10, & I would prefer only 3. 11 days left to join the pod

I was about to give you guff for "group" until seeing you later then use the proper "pod" ("gam" and "school" are also acceptable).

#928 1 year ago
    Quoted from Barr993:

GWJ, seems you are concerned about building pins 4-10, you might want to contract with Ben to finish the builds at the mini-whales homes.

Jpop already tried that one on Ben.

Yes, but maybe it failed because of who was involved, not because of the underlying concept.

Revised idea:

GWJ, seems you are concerned about building pins 4-10, you might want to contract with Jpop to finish the builds at the mini-whales homes.

#947 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Heres what you get if you try to use artificial intelligence to design a Trailer Park Boys pin.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

It might also be what you get if John does! (I keed, I keed!)

#1077 1 year ago

For those that still do not believe anything:
    Pintastic Show I was at the front end table with my favorite tall boy cans of 9%: 1:24 mark
    Jack going on about the port wine: 27:35 mark
    Steve talks about IPA Beer & production: 33:18 mark
    There is the TNT video as well with Jack, Steve, & myself enjoying a craft beer that night in the seminar room.

I'll be damned. John really does like beer. No fooling. Well, I guess that settles it then. In six months, we'll see between 1 and 10 completed trailer park boys pinball machines.

#1151 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballBuzz:

Two and a half year in the making working on several games, money has not been the issue, its the time and getting it right. Over the past year when we thought we were ready something always came up that needed time to work out! My two cents! John is really enjoying the attention he is getting from all the posters!!
    [quoted image]

Punny Factory unexpectedly swooping in with the reasonable take!

#1162 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

You are absolutely right ! John gets a contract with his customers that says to the effect of:
    I am going to try my best to build a machine on the dollars you gave me in the next 6 months. You (the undersigned) realize that:
    1) I have never built a game before
    2) multiple people in the industry who have built a game have told me the budget is too low and time frame too short
    3) my last set of projects ran years past their deadline
    4) I have no personal assets you can go after given my bankruptcy
    5) I have to hire multiple people because I don’t have the full skill set
    6) I do not yet have the license but I’m working on it.
    7) I have no skin in the game except my reputation
    8) Multiple more experienced and better funded project that tried to do the same failed with customers losing all their money
    9) all the money is needed up front for your game
    10) if I go past the 6 month deadline then there are no consequences to me personally for doing so
    11) if I fail to deliver you a game, or the game you want, you agree that you have no recourse.
    12) if the game is thru some miracle good and other people want to manufacture it, you agree you have no claims whatsoever to any of the assets I developed with your money
    Then yes, that constitutes full disclosure, buyer beware, and no matter the outcome would NOT be considered a scam.
    I strongly suspect that John intends to make none of those disclosures if he finds a way to get this funded.

Where do I sign??

#1231 1 year ago

John will clearly not be dissuaded by anyone's comments here, so at some point it becomes a question of what's the point in continuing to make them. John is unfailingly positive. I've never seen a person on the internet abused to this degree without responding back in kind. So despite how ridiculous I regard his plan to be, I wish people would stop saying mean spirited things like calling him a moron.

#1277 1 year ago
    Quoted from Seraph:

I relistened to the SAPS interview with David Fix. Here is the quote [emphasis mine]:
    "There are two new companies on the horizons that are going to be releasing pins in the next year or two. Two new companies in the Chicagoland area. Wow!"
    He then immediately goes on to talk about deeproot as a separate topic, so it seems to me that neither of the two companies that GWJ is talking about were related to the Turner announcement. How many companies can this market support?

Agree that Turner was not being counted among the two new companies talk.

#1279 1 year ago
    Quoted from sanctumwear:

The pinball bubble:
    Stern
    JJP
    Spooky
    CGC
    American
    Homepin
    Multimorphic
    Dutch
    Pinball Bros
    Haggis
    ?
    ?

Quetzal
    Pinball Adventures
    Ballarama

#1384 1 year ago

I think of John as K'ronikka.

#1429 1 year ago

There are 3 people in the pod, & 1 is on the fence. So this project to build in 6 months is still on, unless it Dies. It will not be because you guys say it cannot be done, or try to sway me.

The pod is fenced? And the whales have personhood?

#1590 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Isn't shit beer better than no beer?

I am not of this opinion. I am, however, a snob.

#1625 1 year ago

Good beer night last night. 3 on the patio at the local, then next door to the barcade 1.5, & finally to the Friday night pinball social 4 buds. I always buy a 36 pack of bud cans for my wife (suitcase of beer).
    Back to TPB pin build, & winding down on the hunt for the Big Whale. Looks like one cannot be found this month. $100k US must of scared them off. So retired pinball designer, & artist will not be involved.

I hadn't realized this contingency (though I'm sure everything would totally check out if one were to re-read your earlier posts). So um who is going to design this Stern pro quality game and do the art for it?

#1679 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

One eight hour shift away...
    [quoted image]

Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 9.03.05 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-07-31 at 9.03.05 AM (resized).png
    #1695 1 year ago

Will there be micro whale opportunities to boost the bankroll?

$20k (ceiling of $30k) to build multiple licensed machines in six months contracting out most responsibilities seems at least mildly ambitious. That said, I've never worked in the industry and only drink a few beers a week.

#1733 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

If someone hands your designated party a check please make sure you set this up thru an LLC or corp or whatever they have in Canada that is equivalent.
    Please make sure you have some kind of written contract in place.
    Finally get some kind of insurance policy in place for the business. You pinball catches on fire in someone’s house you are liable.
    Yes I know the US is way more litigious than Canada. Nevertheless you do not want to be personally on the hook for this with respect to liability and you damn well want to make sure expectations are written out in some form.
    Failure to do this could result in some serious legal implications if the project starts to go off the rails.
    I am also wondering if your personal bankruptcy might have been avoided if some similar company structure like this had been in place before your barcade and distributorship went wrong.
    My arcade can go out of business and someone can be injured and sue. Neither event if it unfortunately happens and drains the business assets into negative territory will affect my personal assets. You have to wall those off even if they are meager.
    A handshake and a check works great if everything goes right. It is a disaster area if it does not go right.

There's a better chance John will land his whale than follow your advice.

#1782 1 year ago

No I would need approval or a very limited license to build 1-10 TPB pro style games in August, or it dies. Need the 6 month build window. I have not said no to your offer to build a trailer trash pinball game if it falls through or any other build rewards program. I got to go with my plan, & see if it gets the green light or dies. Got my mini pod with cash ready to spend on performance or build stages. There is no $10k US coming or deposit required.

I thought you were building one pro style machine per mini whale pod member and that the cutoff to join the pod was yesterday. So are you saying you may build 10 machines rather than 2 (or 3) with $20k (or $30k)?

#1796 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I appreciate that.
    But I’d do that for any Pinsider that needs some help or dealing with issues.

I believe Robert still has a pinside account.

#1858 1 year ago

Then on to a red neck Trailer Trash pin with girls for a 6 month build, that is the backup plan if the money is there.

what

#1864 1 year ago

That is only the back up plan, if TPB hits the skids with licensing.

I missed the introduction of this concept. I get the Trailer Park = Trailer Trash conversion from licensed to generic theme. What's the "with girls" part?

#1866 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Trailer Park Boys becomes Trailer Trash Girls.

Ah. Duh. Good call.

#1879 1 year ago

It was Trailer Trash as a backup plan. Guess some guys want girls in there, but that was not the title: Trailer Trash Pinball Machine
    You can just guess the unlimited subject matter of that build.

Has there every been another pinball machine with the words Pinball Machine in the title? We could be looking at an historic first here.

#2021 1 year ago

Yes the designer will be announced later this month or September 1. Might have to look for more mini whales if TPB is dead, & Trailer Trash is the build for SXSW & TPF in Texas, March 2023

So you'd need more money to build an unlicensed game than a licensed one. Got it.

#2036 1 year ago

Trailer Trash you can get on the list, with no money down. If the list is greater than 10, September 1. I will see if people are serious or not.

So now we need a second set of countdowns.

#2042 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Will this GREATplan (tm) also be taking into account those frequent, unexpected medical emergencies that always kept popping up, derailing & delaying his Seawitch/Stargazer playfield production? Because after 3 years of waiting (and finally bailing) on one of his playfields, I lost count how many times he was laid up for extended periods of poor health. Not wishing wishing him ill, but history always tends to repeat itself.
    Perhaps he'll proves everyone wrong, but if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.....

I assume yes, and that's why it's a 6-month timeline. Without those considerations it would probably be three.

#2045 1 year ago

Hot lead for you, John:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1184847701/whales-pod-of-mini-whales-needing-new

Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 12.09.30 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-05 at 12.09.30 PM (resized).png

#2072 1 year ago

Yes I am going to give it a new deadline of August 12 for TPB for the Boys to clue in.

Good call. Five more business days is probably enough to get this thing signed, sealed, and delivered.

#2098 1 year ago

I did it my way, & still give a faint ray of hope that TPB pin can come out of the fire. But the timeline has moved forward, & the show must go on. Trailer Trash is likely the pin coming out with hopefully adult sex appeal.

Good call selecting adult as the category for sex appeal.

#2105 1 year ago

"Trailer Trash" pinball machine, for the adult crowd. Hopefully no Big Dick in the game, but who knows. I will not be doing the art.

Fingers crossed!

#2132 1 year ago

So the idea is to crowdfund $11k to continue the zany entertainment for six months without putting John or others at financial risk? Because that the money would come from donations rather than a mini-whale changes nothing about the (in)feasibility of the endeavor.

#2136 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

If John is telling the truth, the major names involved is quite interesting. We will know soon enough. Folks, if John makes the deadline, I am personally heading to TPF to host and emcee the reveal event. I will be getting in touch with the TPF to give them the lowdown on everything. No license needed!

Sounds good. Just don't put anything other than fun money into this, please.

#2137 1 year ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

When you're not paying for art, you get what you get...and you don't get upset. Even if it is a collage of giant throbbing veiny cocks.

Clue that the artist is Python Angelo, Jr?

#2139 1 year ago

John, is the gofundme in play because the last mini-whale exited the pod? Will the gofundme have a deadline to reach $11k or It Dies?

#2176 1 year ago

While the gofundme is a promising development to the saga for the purposes of the saga, I wish John would instead dedicate his time to doing something to generate income. The endless self-reported accounts of personal bankruptcy, pension-based poverty-level earnings, binge drinking, and lack of familial safety net provoke in me genuine worry. And this isn't brand new. Since become acquainted with John a year or so ago via his posts, the song has remained the same.

For all his quirks, I find John endearing, earnest, and would love for him to have a big pinball passion win. But I can't help but feel a twinge of unease celebrating the launching of a gofundme to bankroll a pretty ridiculous quest that even in the most optimistic outcome nets John zero dollars of profit, probably cost him a few, and occupies the next seven months of his life. Time during which he could plausibly dedicate his energies toward efforts to financially benefit him.

That said, I'm no one to tell others how to live their lives. Nor am I some life expert. And John's priorities are compatible with those of the gofunders. Still, as I've been participating in the ballyhoo amidst some misgivings, I wanted to step out of it for a moment to communicate them.

John, I'm rooting for you. And if this is what makes you happy, then I'll root for a grand machine reveal at SXSW/TPF.

#2181 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Not true at all. In the end, if John does come through, as the administartor of the Go Fund Me, I will see through that John is financially rewarded. We have agreed that the machine either gets picked up/rights bought by a manufacturer or the one off machine gets auctioned off for charity.
    More details on Saturday

Financially rewarded meaning there is profit from the enterprise. I wasn't saying the gofundme money wouldn't go to John. I was saying that the gofundme goal is set to cover the costs for the pin development. And John's plan from the start has been I need this much money to make this game to give it away. Not to do that + pocket any money for my time and effort which I can use to pay bills.

#2184 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

We are talking at the very end. Machine is delivered to the TPF and is a fully working Pro Style machine. There is NO pocket money from the go fund me.

Right. I think we're saying the same thing. I just don't think we're mutually understanding what is being said.

#2186 1 year ago

Guys I just got back from the bar. Had 5 beers & 2 on people I know. Had my supper, & drying out now. So there is a new mini whale in play that I talked with earlier. The big thing going now is a well known pinball designer is doing the design of the playfield. So I would think this might sell out at the max limit of 10 games for Trailer Trash pinball game. I will be holding back a Go Fund Me game if it reaches 9 people on the mini whale pod. That will give more time for a Go Fund Me, But the deadline would be the end of the year if needed. This is going to be a adult themed game, so we might have to have a restricted room at TPF. My brothers house will be ok in Austin for SXSW, private party, & we will make sure 21 or older.

I'm gonna need to wait for the updated flow chart to understand the current state of things (more of a visual learner).

#2187 1 year ago

Also, has anyone been maintaining a development beer counter? Could be added to the OP and updated weekly.

#2193 1 year ago

Like I always say come up for a visit to Halifax. We can pound back the beers & enjoy life or play pinball & drink. Dave Fix & his wife should come back for a visit again.

Sounds fun. Let me know when the Fixes will be there so I can schedule to coincide.

#2197 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

I think between DR and whatever this becomes it could be your full time job if you wanted it to be.

Suppose I just need a stranger to start the gofundme.

#2200 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Unfortunately John believes that with a RPD TM. (Real pinball designer for those not in the know)

You forgot "and alive"

#2211 1 year ago

It is that simple give the whiners & complainers until the end of the year to meet the goal. Not like September 1 for those wanting in with no money down. Same game plan from the start, & that is the cut off for buyers (mini whales).

$11k by Christmas

#2297 1 year ago

My only complaint about the thread and overall process is that it's too straightforward and easy to understand.

#2352 1 year ago

***Update August 8, 2022***
    Jon Norris is now publicly on board this adventure of "Trailer Trash" pinball machine, as the game designer. I look forward to seeing where this build goes in the 6 month build time of September 1 to March 1, 2023 for SXSW & TPF in Texas. Limited to a max build of 10 prototype pro style pinball machines. Price is $10k USD to be paid during stages of the build. Please sign on now to the pod if interested. The deadline is August 31, 2022
    Thanks again Jon! Here is a list of his previous games:
    https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=jon+Norris&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

Best of luck, Jon. For real.

#2354 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Though—unlike John— I do not have experience with or know people in pinball manufacturing, I think I see a practical way forward.
    $20k: One-off TPB license (a fair chunk of no-effort beer money for the guys)
    $10k: BOM + labor to build John Norris Tour De France design (https://www.knapparcade.org/post/new-tour-de-france-pinball-design-from-jon-norris)
    $50k: pimped out bling to theme to license (diamond-entrusted toy RV, gold and platinum mini six pack)
    I'm not familiar with the IP, so the theme ideas are just examples, not prescriptions.
    How do these numbers look?

Quoting myself for internet points with the first Norris mention of the thread

#2357 1 year ago

***Update August 8, 2022***
    Jon Norris is now publicly on board this adventure of "Trailer Trash" pinball machine, as the game designer. I look forward to seeing where this build goes in the 6 month build time of September 1 to March 1, 2023 for SXSW & TPF in Texas. Limited to a max build of 10 prototype pro style pinball machines. Price is $10k USD to be paid during stages of the build. Please sign on now to the pod if interested. The deadline is August 31, 2022
    Thanks again Jon! Here is a list of his previous games:
    https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=jon+Norris&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

Regarding your pod recruitment with Aug 31 deadline, is this thread the only place you're publicly advertising this opportunity? If your objective is to bring on as many mini whales—up to ten—as possible, you may consider getting the word out through additional outlets or at least one that isn't 48 pages of twists and turns.

That said, from what you've indicated previously, it sounds like your preference is to do as few games as possible. So if that's the case, sticking to this thread is the way to go.

#2361 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

The irony here being that if Jon Norris had started the thread here we wouldn’t have had 47 pages of nonsense and a lot more confidence the game would make it to the finish. It’s not clear to me what GWJ adds here. Just being completely honest. And it Jon had read all this I’m not sure how is not scared off yet. But here we are, hope they make a good team and somehow get it done.

I think Jon is currently trying to get back involved with pinball production how/wherever he can. Provided he's in a position to do so, casting a wide net to increase the number of opportunities for something to happen—as a way to demonstrate to bigger players he's still got it—isn't a terrible idea. And given that he was willing to try to work with Ballarama, no particular reason not to give GWJ a shot, too.

#2366 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nah, I'm pretty sure he's been biding his time, being super picky, and waiting for a can't-miss opportunity like this to announce itself.

Trailer Trash = dream theme?

#2389 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

Tour De Trailer Trash…

Quoted from vdojaq:

You may not be far off. Jon Norris was not only a designer, but a programmer too. Let's just say that Jon has a few CAD layouts all done and has some crude programming to go with them based on one of the available platforms, then the 6 months is doable. Cabinets are easy. Put together a whitewood based on one of Jon's designs and the do the artwork theme to fit in with what is already designed. Basically it's the way all the old electromechanicals were done. Design the playfield and layout 1st, then make a theme that fits.
    I imagine some bad 70's/80's bad porn type music would be perfect for the theme

Presumably the Trailer Trash playfield will be have to be something totally different as a street level style game designed for minimal BOM != Stern Pro machine.

#2402 1 year ago

If we could please ask you to cease reaching out directly to the Boys or additional team members at this time, they are aware I am communicating with you conveying this message to not proceed at this time.

What did your outreach efforts entail, @greatwichjohn? From this line it sounds like more than an email to the licensor and follow-up reply to Alison.

#2424 1 year ago

Presumably the Trailer Trash playfield will be have to be something totally different as a street level style game designed for minimal BOM != Stern Pro machine.

Quoted from Roostking:

Wrong. Remember, GWJ said he was going to reuse ramps, so he didnt" Have to reinvent the wheel".
    Yea, reinvent everything else though!

Meaning not be the existing Norris design.

#2521 1 year ago

No I believe it was presented that Go Fund Me was it. I was not allowed to seek others. Not fair to Jon Norris, it is a per game deal in the build. If I am wrong about that part, that is why I bailed. I have always stated my build timeline of 6 months. 1-10 games
    What I said was if 9 were found, 10 would be reserved for the Go Fund Me. It could extend to the Fall or December 31 if needed. I only go public when the $11k US was reached.

I never recall it being presented this way or how a close reading of what was presented would result in this misinterpretation (though I'm not going to re-read dozens of pages to confirm that it was not).

#2522 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I have been following that for a week now on KLOV because there was a few games on that list that made my eyes pop. No pictures and lots of red flags.......

Link?

#2530 1 year ago
    Quoted from Striker:

Like I said last time, with due respect I am not asking you. I am looking for independent verification that Jon Norris has confirmed he is the game designer of your project. “Independent verification” = not you.
    I mentioned Tour de France because Jon has recently announced that is his current project. Game designers tend to work on one project at a time. Thus he wouldn’t have time to work on your project.

Jon is active on pinside and FB. You can private message him or tag him in a post.

#2581 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Make it, Ben Heck's Trailer Park Aliens from Outer Space. (In 3-D Purple)

Nostalgic Nuclear Undead Carnival Trailer Park?

#2641 1 year ago

The layout was done for something else in his inventory. It is being refined to have 2 target banks, 1 drop variety or maybe 2, or 1 drop & 1 individual fixed targets.

Does the layout include ramps and/or toys? Is the display LCD with custom graphics, animations, or video assets?

#2645 1 year ago

Stern Pros use LCDs

#2652 1 year ago

Said the game will be a pro style game.

I could have sworn the framing was that the machine would be of quality comparable to a Stern Pro.

What constitutes a "pro style game?" I'm not familiar with this term/concept.

#2654 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Considering the cost and amount of time needed to program LCD or DMD, just going numeric or alpha numeric makes good sense.

Oh, it definitely makes sense. It's just not what was pitched for 50 pages. And a good part of my incredulity during those 50 pages was the nigh impossibility of him pulling off what he pitched.

If John instead had said he was going to theme an existing street level Jon Norris design that uses all standard parts with an alphanumeric display then I wouldn't have regarded the proposition as totally batshit.

#2668 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

Have we forgotten that Jpop's original plan was to make 1 Magic Girl, before realizing that doing so was economically impractical? That's when the number of Magic Girls increased to 10, then 13 and later to 20 or thereabouts.
    Then came BHZA, 99 of them, plus 25 Cointaker editions, as I recall.
    Solicitations to plunk down a deposit on Alice In Wonderland soon followed.
    Granted, the Jpop/Zidware debacle was a hornet's nest of mismanagement and noodling. Arguably, Greatwich has the ability to avoid some of the Zidware pitfalls and I hope that he finds a path to success.
    Nevertheless, I don't see how Greatwich earns any money for his considerable effort, absent a major stage 2 where his game launches a build numbering in the hundreds. Scale is an insurmountable factor to profit, in my view. If he finds a way to make a profit, he will have discovered the secret sauce that the boutique market hasn't yet tasted.

He has already communicated that he does not expect nor plan to make a single dollar on this endeavor.

#2690 1 year ago

This pinball machine is more old school, & will not be a rules deep type of game.

Best of luck with this new project. I hope you succeed, and the odds that you will have increased significantly.

To keep our narratives straight, the goalposts have been relocated from the end zone to the 20 and now the 40 yard line. What you've described the past couple pages is not a Stern Home Pin, let alone a Stern Pro.

#2735 1 year ago

The theme is basically Pabst Crusher meets Whoa Nellie meets Junkyard?

#2780 1 year ago

I'm glad John is taking on something much more manageable than was originally pitched. We could have just skipped the dozens of pages of disagreements that what he was pitching was preposterous since the reveal of the actual plan is a tacit admission that it was in fact preposterous.

#2839 1 year ago

I drank most of a beer last night.

#2854 1 year ago

Yes & I told Jon it would be $500 US per game, 1 or up to 10 max. All my contractors get paid. If the Go Fund ME ($11k USD) had gone ahead to make this project public for the 6 month build. The pin would of went to Expo for auction & all the proceeds would of went to the chartity (not me, i did not want anything extra). That offer is still there by me. But people think it is 100% my fault for wanting 1-10 pinball machines to be built in 6 months. Not only the 1 Go Fund Me game.

The only person who ever pitted the gofundme vs. any other games was you.

#2891 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

How about two shoot again insert lights between the flippers with artwork of an old man staring the player down a double barrel shotgun. In the background, his scantily clad daughter climbing out the back of a trailer. Maybe he’s also the trailer park supervisor/antagonist of the game.

Quoted from TreyBo69:

The game over sound could be the sound of a screen door slamming shut and a “come back now ya hear” callout
    Maybe a sling looks like a bug zapper and makes a zap noise and fires a small flasher
    Sometimes during attract it should play a riff from dueling banjos from Deliverance

Before you give away too much free gold, has GWJ confirmed the game will have artwork and sound?

#2901 1 year ago

What about going after the Hee Haw license?

#2940 1 year ago

Lol

Didn't realize there was a rule against sharing dms. Is there a rule against dming people this kind of crap?

#2943 1 year ago
    Quoted from Micky:

robin usually bans people who PM others like that.

Can't say it would be a major loss

#2975 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

This is one of the puzzling things to me. Where the heck did he come up with this? I don't know? If someone were to offer me the possibilty of $10K for me to build a pinball machine and I didn't know how it worked, I could just Google or actually visit the GoFundMe site and take 10 minutes to get some information.
    Absolutely zero effort on John's part. So much easier to just expect things to be handed to them without any sort of effort. You know what, I will just drink my beer, tell everyone I am broke, have a shitty pension, filed bankruptcy and beg for money. All the while being oblivious to the fact that several, generous people, here on pinside were ready to make his dream come true with a fucking GIFT. Just be open about the process and let us throw ideas if need be.

It's the kind of poor decision making you might expect if John had someone without his best interests in mind telling him the gofundme is a bullshit joke and that the losers on pinside would never actually raise the money.

#2987 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I was thinking of this. I know John is driving the bus on the project. But it seems really silly to make the drops say MONEY and the standups to say CASH. They’re the same thing…
    It would make more sense if the drops said VAULT (or similar). Hit the drops down to break open the vault, then CASH stand ups light up to get as much cash as you can before the “vault” resets itself. (Or label the drops SMASH and the standups GRAB)
    Or does John want to elaborate on his MONEY and CASH feature?

Covert backup theme

Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 10.53.43 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-14 at 10.53.43 AM (resized).pngcash-money-records-logo (resized).jpgcash-money-records-logo (resized).jpg
    #3020 1 year ago

If the theme is still an open concern, take the chance to make a "history's first" pin.

Trailer Trap: first rap pin without abandoning your original basic concept.

Or you could go a totally different route and make the first-ever multi-denominational religious pin.

#3037 1 year ago

Beer count is up to 9, must try & take it to 11 sometime. Trailer Trash is still the game.

Please don't push the numbers on our behalf.

#3068 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

It's "couldn't care less"

He could probably care less about that, too.

#3111 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It seems like 100 percent of the half-dozen or so boutique / startup pinball projects that "Coach Ice" has led have ended in failure.
    How does he keep getting coaching jobs?! He's like the Lou Saban of pinball!

I just think it's great that ice is finally getting to go a step beyond cosplaying his idol Robert.

#3126 1 year ago

Probably not. The coach seems to like a few of them ideas so far.

Is ice a player-coach? I thought this pin was driven by John's creative vision. Who's calling the shots here?

#3226 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Now wait , How about FOOD and STAMP for those drops and stand ups? More appropriate?

FOOD and TRUCK

#3229 1 year ago

Jon Norris still helping out. There is no sense asking about rules until I have the whitewood built & tested. I have the same ideas as what Jon is saying to me. There will be a programmer brought in, like I said previously he survived not working fulltime for Heighway Pinball, & Andrew.
    Ben is now leading the pack for beer today, I might have zero.

So we presumably can now identify the programmer, no?

#3267 1 year ago

2 weeks to go. I think the coach is only getting one pin for charity done. Looks like a name change coming also for his game. Might be good or bad, we will soon see about the name.

Surprise, surprise. Coach Woke aka the PC Police strikes again.

#3283 1 year ago

2 weeks to go. I think the coach is only getting one pin for charity done. Looks like a name change coming also for his game. Might be good or bad, we will soon see about the name.

Quoted from Palmer:

Redneck Riviera probably

Do not know if this is the idea Doug is looking for: https://redneckrivieranashville.com/

Yes more than a Homebrew using a industry designer, & hopefully more than just the 1 game. Also using a bunch of contractors, & not just one person doing all the work. Also a show piece going to SXSW, TPF, & likely to auction at Expo for charity.

Coach, Esq. handling the copyright/trademark searches/filings, I presume?

#3451 1 year ago

I don't want bad things to happen people in generally, let alone nice people. John seems like a nice guy. I'll be very happy if he ends up producing a machine (or up to 10) of which he's proud.

#3621 1 year ago

The whale hunt was a 2 month search this summer ending August 31. No interest in 1 Big Whale $100k US for TPB which is the licensed game I told Dave Fix I was going for. Not a Roger Sharpe so after brief 3 emails I got the C & D, from the licensing company for TPB. Said I would not do TPB pinball machine with out their ok (boys). My pod of mini whales were still on board the TPB $10k US, but that ship sank during stormy weather with the license. One mini whale resurfaced & got on board again for Trailer Trash playfield layout & advice (help) from Jon Norris. The coach or Doug is gathering his thoughts while he was on the bench serving his penalty period. $1k US already in my hands to buy parts for the whitewood & testing of the playfield. A coin operated pinball machine, & not a piece of garbage build game is what is being done the next 6 months for Texas in March 2023. SXSW at my brothers house in Austin, & TPF where the coach is going to celebrate if he can get to the show. He might have the only mini whale pin, or maybe 2, & others may join the pod if they are our friends after this month. For all the other sharks in the waters. You can still join the wait list before the end of August with ZERO money down. This still does not mean you will be able to join the pod, I will decide after looking at the build & the costs involved. The coach is looking for a pinball artist to come along for the excursion with Jon Norris playfield design. 1 - 10 pinball machines in 6 months is what I said, & the plan is moving along. As for the programmer that has not changed, & there was a bread crumb of the person in Orbital Alberts podcast. Albert still has little faith in me, sounds like the poor mans Kaneda. But a good laugh to listen to along with the previous interview on TPB voyage.

Quality, B- recap. Can get into the A range if you clean up the mixed metaphors (the prey of a whaling mission would not be a "coach").

#3685 1 year ago

I will be on the hunt for some Deeproot pinball parts to use in the build. Nice touch for the pinball history in Texas. Stand up targets, & any other stuff that might be useful. So if you got some stuff that Terry did not buy let me know.

You may want to check with Keroppi on this.

#3761 1 year ago

As for Bens continued fixation on max 10 build of the games in 6 months. That is what I said could be done by one person back in the Deeproot pinball fiasco with RAZA. 2 pins could be assembled by 1 person per month.

Monomanufacturing? How quaint.

#3778 1 year ago

TPB was only going to go ahead if license approval was ok. Trailer Trash could go through a name change & theme choice to suit Doug as the only mini whale or investor. The music is probably ok if its for the individual owners game. What ever the sound calls & rule set will be the same for 1 or up to 10.

I'll happily record and provide callouts for zero dollars.

#3805 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

No sooner than October 2023.
    You know because... Actually coding a game takes a shit load of time.
    I should clarify. October 2023 is our internal code done goal, depending on other games in the schedule the actual release might be pushed back.

Uh oh. That internal goal has now become an external expectation.

#3806 1 year ago

I'll happily record and provide callouts for zero dollars.

One character could be a stick in the mud, fish out of a water, well intentioned sort who despite his best efforts just doesn't "get" trailer park culture. If you're interested, I can start working on a British accent.

#3812 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Disease of King's Butts
    I get my first colonoscopy later this year. Runs in the family so screening starts early for me.

#3824 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I only watched a little of the clip. I haven't gotten to that episode yet. That guy is something special...

I met him once and pitched a NFY idea he described as "not terrible." That's gravestone material right there.

#3837 1 year ago

my province sends out a home kit also to shit on a stick

This really is some kind of special thread.

About to have beer 1 of 1 (ultra limited like Redneck Trailer Riveria Trash).

#3855 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

"I'm a car mechanic, so that means I can start the next Tesla"

John's not working on creating the next Tesla. The project scope and ambition becomes more modest by the week (which is a good thing).

#3860 1 year ago

Thank God I have a good industry vet to lay down the foundation for the playfield design. Jon Norris, a wealth of information. Still going through the BOM list he did to make this build easier to do. To have the parts needed for a working whitewood in September. Here is the first part to arrive like I stated from Marco Specialties. Working on my Pinball Life & Pinball Resource order this week.
    [quoted image]

Is this the part with a project description to the effect of "Old and brittle. Do not use."?

#3879 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Seeing a whitewood isn't going to make us think it's more than an old Bally/Stern. Only the software will. But you don't seem to care about software...

Do people honestly think it will be up to the quality of an old Bally/Stern? I genuinely mean no shade. It's just that old Bally/Sterns were made by Bally/Stern, with experienced/cohesive teams, more money than iceman, and in a time before SXSW.

#3881 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Bally games are amazing. Stern games are more budgety feeling, but still had some incredible gameplay with good rulesets.
    I think it'll be Gottlieb System 1 level. Functional and generally not very interesting.
    Maybe some basic light shows. John never mentioned if he'd make it RGB lightning or not after I suggest investing in modern lightning to make the game seem more advance than it is.

Do people think it will surpass Mafia? Other than (I assume) a better playfield design, I'm not yet reading indications for why it would.

#3894 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Man uses hot dog as a beer straw. I love this guy!
    Link goes to Twitter video.
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1561882356402855937

[quoted image]

Threw up a little in my mouth

#3916 1 year ago

Had 9 beers today. A good relaxation day.

Self care is important. Good idea to relax and take a break from burning the candle at both ends every once in a while. It's a six-month marathon. Not a sprint.

#3917 1 year ago
    Quoted from CryHavoc:

Ok...I'm not much for riddles. I prefer straight talk so I guess I'll bow out now. Thanks for the responses.

Maybe GWJ can contract Chris Turner for the riddles.

#3924 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

This project is dead. I don't know who's more delusional, a broke pensioner who desperately wants to get hired by a pinball company, or a drunken lawyer who's funding this madness sheerly out of spite.
    No offense to Jon Norris, but this ain't gonna happen.

I'm putting my trust and faith in iceman to spend whatever it takes—be that 3, 4, 5 or more times the initial $10k estimate—to bring his treasure to life.

#3975 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I would love to make a "Dead Hooker" game.

This is the type of statement that could benefit from some explanatory details.

#3988 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Yep, no question on Coach firing the manager of the team if it doesn’t perform. He won’t let this fail. In fact much like Jerry Jones wouldn’t be surprised to see him come down from the penthouse booth to the sidelines, relegating GWJ to water boy (beer boy ?)

Odds that Iceman Jones pursues a hot free agent replacement and pulls the plug midseason on GWJ for RM?

#4002 1 year ago

Anyone else pumped for the debut machine from a new rules designer?

ZMeny should have Coach Ice co-host an episode of The Pinball Show and discuss his design philosophy (Moment maker or score chaser?), influences (A Dwight, Lonnie, or Lyman acolyte, or a visionary for which there is no precedent?), and overall development approach/process.

#4008 1 year ago

Anyone else pumped for the debut machine from a new rules designer?
    ZMeny should have Coach Ice co-host an episode of The Pinball Show and discuss his design philosophy (Moment maker or score chaser?), influences (A Dwight, Lonnie, or Lyman acolyte, or a visionary for which there is no precedent?), and overall development approach/process.

I would think those would be from me & the local programmer people here still have not named so far. Many breadcrumbs for a trail have been thrown out there.

Update @zmeny. Please see above.

#4010 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

I'm curious about this as woodworking is my main passion. Baltic birch is birch, with a birch veneer. It is 5 x 5 sheets as opposed to 'standard' 4x8. If I need maple or mahogany or walnut or any other veneer, I buy veneer core plywood with the desired veneer. Maple (veneer core) 4x8 runs me about $90/sheet while Baltic Birch is a touch more; however, 5x5, so price per sq/ft is a lot more. So are you getting baltic birch or maple (veneer core)? Just curious if you misspoke or if they have some odd (to me) 5x5 maple ply available in Canada?

Am I correct in recalling that fellow Canadian upstart Pinball Adventures is also all about baltic birch?

#4013 1 year ago

To those questioning what John brings to the table, don't forget that a) this entire fever dream was his idea and b) his guerilla marketing it is what hooked daddy big bucks to (hopefully) make it a reality.

#4022 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I am sure a lot of things will change over the course of this phantom project, sans realistic - timeline, budget nor plan. Why up to a day ago, nobody knew the programmer. The programmer wished to do it and he was #1 person on earth to learn about it. I was the #2 person on earth to learn it, after following the beer bottle trail and making a wag. That chapter of the story was breaking in front of your eyes. And it was reported HERE first. We scooped Kaneda, Knapp’s Arcade, TWIP and Craig Bobbie.
    The story continues … GWJ was the #3 person on earth to learn of the programmer. That’s right, he sobered up one day and said he’d be using the crazy bastard after all. So what will the prolog to this feel good story bring? I got nothing.

Wait, serious question: who is the programmer?

#4032 1 year ago
    Quoted from RobF:

We are living in the future. Why deal with expensive humans when you can have free AI do the work for you?
    [quoted image]

Attempting this with DALL·E 2

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 8.50.22 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-24 at 8.50.22 PM (resized).png

Heaven help this project if it costs me my DALL·E 2 access.

Attempt #2: Same prompt, minus 'redneck'

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 9.00.17 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-24 at 9.00.17 PM (resized).png

Attempt #3: Apparently even this A.I. is not yet intelligent enough to understand jpop's magic

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 8.57.21 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-24 at 8.57.21 PM (resized).png

DALL·E 2022-08-24 20.58.03 - a bunch of cowboys sitting at a bar and drinking cheap canadian beer, in the style of john popadiukDALL·E 2022-08-24 20.58.03 - a bunch of cowboys sitting at a bar and drinking cheap canadian beer, in the style of john popadiukDALL·E 2022-08-24 20.58.08 - a bunch of cowboys sitting at a bar and drinking cheap canadian beer, in the style of john popadiukDALL·E 2022-08-24 20.58.08 - a bunch of cowboys sitting at a bar and drinking cheap canadian beer, in the style of john popadiukDALL·E 2022-08-24 20.58.11 - a bunch of cowboys sitting at a bar and drinking cheap canadian beer, in the style of john popadiukDALL·E 2022-08-24 20.58.11 - a bunch of cowboys sitting at a bar and drinking cheap canadian beer, in the style of john popadiukDALL·E 2022-08-24 20.58.16 - a bunch of cowboys sitting at a bar and drinking cheap canadian beer, in the style of john popadiukDALL·E 2022-08-24 20.58.16 - a bunch of cowboys sitting at a bar and drinking cheap canadian beer, in the style of john popadiuk
    #4080 1 year ago

TRENDING UP: GWJ talking shit.

Jpop and Orbital Albert best mind their Ps and Qs.

#4089 1 year ago

Am I correct in recalling that fellow Canadian upstart Pinball Adventures is also all about baltic birch?

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/guest-post-pinball-adventures-first-machine-punny-factory-is-almost-ready/

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 7.35.21 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-25 at 7.35.21 AM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 7.36.04 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-25 at 7.36.04 AM (resized).png

#4106 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballBuzz:

Challenge accepted John we will both document our progress over the next few months each week with pictures starting when we move into our new facility September 1.
    Will send in the investi-gator!
    [quoted image]

Nice, @pinballbuzz! I do genuinely like seeing the updates on what you've got going behind-the-scenes.

In terms of progress documentation, when's the next refresh planned for the punny factory build status page? https://www.pinballadventures.com/punny-progress-page/

#4111 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballBuzz:

Website will be updated over the weekend. We were just held up by Springs and Mini coils. 3 test prototype games and 12 units will be built starting Sept 1 !!!

So is that 12 more in addition to the original ten?

When will the first of those ten ship?

#4113 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I’m confused by the PA website. On one hand it shows detailed progress of ongoing orders and that is super cool. Really good idea and well executed. So let’s say I was interested in buying a game. I can’t. Can’t figure out where to go. How much? So is there some announcement coming soon? Also time for an updated gameplay video.

Also, who is Bill?

EDIT: Or is Bill the name of the machine?

#4118 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

So for someone not in it for the money...

Perhaps he is tired of losing so many crumbs from his bread, and only by completing this project will he be able to hold onto entire loaves.

#4123 1 year ago
    Quoted from Power87:

John's on beer#5 at my place. Picked him up at 7:30 at the shop he was cooking corn on his hot plate with tinfoil for his supper NICE..

emperorcover (resized).jpgemperorcover (resized).jpg
    #4180 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Wasn't Punny Factory announced 3 years ago? And is only now slowly shipping?

It's slowly shipping? If you know that to be the case then jump on your twitter machine because you've got a global breaking news exclusive.

#4202 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

No it paid for like a 1/3 of my house, after taxes. I haven't decided which rooms exactly.
    Ice WISHES he'd get a game as good as AMH out of John. He knows he won't HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Though I've yet to play Halloween/Ultraman, and don't have equal time on the other Spooky titles, I actually think AMH is the one I most enjoy. And only part of the reason is the rocking #ghostsquad theme song (though it is certainly a not-insignificant reason).

Note: I know everyone rags on the art being terrible. I assume that is totally the case. However, I'm the odd duck that exclusively plays pinball to play pinball. I don't notice or care about the art (with the exception of what's shown on the display).

#4245 1 year ago

I bought a bottle of peach-flavored white wine at Walmart.

#4284 1 year ago
    Quoted from wcbrandes:

Holy crap haven't been here in a while and not going back 86 pages, is this another attempt at RAZA and ice is financing it ?

No. That's probably another future thread.

#4323 1 year ago

Like I have said it is up to Ice to decide on the title & art.

What happens if he picks TPB?

#4378 1 year ago

Summary for those having trouble following.

1. Aug 31 is the last opportunity to get in on a game except for others after that.

2. GWJ fondly recalls burning heaps of rare pins 27 years ago. He also sent pins to the dump. Some of the games were not in great condition. While people scrambled trying to salvage parts from the wreckage, GWJ and the boys enjoyed beers by the fires. Cops came by to check out the conflagration due to its proximity to the ghetto. Someone was murdered.

#4386 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

I will say this. When September 1st hits and John abandons the lunacy of building 10 games by TPF his chances of getting 1 game done will increase quite a bit.

Unless he makes the other 9 (and then sets them on fire).

#4390 1 year ago

SXSW in my brothers driveway if you believe some people here. Will it be the only one, or multiples of games.

The parking area is also the stage. Can't get more convenient than that!

#4392 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

It will be one. When you take on a risky project you don't do 10x of it. If you had more experience you'd know this. You will realize this by the TPF deadline

Magic_8_Ball_featured (resized).jpgMagic_8_Ball_featured (resized).jpg
    #4393 1 year ago

GWJ fondly recalls burning heaps of rare pins 27 years ago. He also sent pins to the dump. Some of the games were not in great condition. While people scrambled trying to salvage parts from the wreckage, GWJ and the boys enjoyed beers by the fires. Cops came by to check out the conflagration due to its proximity to the ghetto. Someone was murdered.

The world needs a Greatwich John's True Pinball Land Stories series.

Coincidentally, it will also be a Drunk History spinoff.

#4402 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

And in one fell swoop Ben explains the entire failure of DR. To John’s credit he will only require $10K to stumble upon this lesson while RM was $60M deep.

Do you think RM learned a lesson?

#4460 1 year ago

Ben: You keep missing the point the coach & his friends, or my friends can join in after the deadline. Not the general public!

Is there concrete friendship eligibility criteria to determine who will and will not be able to get in after Sep 1?

For example, @greatwichjohn, you and I exchange friendly messages. I even shouted you out during a live podcast recorded at the prestigious New York City Pinball Championships the other week. Would I qualify? Can you post a list of usernames from this thread who would?

#4472 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well I realize I put you on the spot, and again not my intention.
    A PM to leave the thread will also suffice, and I will keep it to myself.
    I will also extend the “GTFO” policy to ANYBODY in this thread, even the Pooper Scooper. Pm, publicly, I don’t care. That’s how important participating in this thread is to me.
    Anybody wants me to leave, no questions asked, just let me know, and it will be done!

Why are you so keen on exiting this funtastic thread?

#4508 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I'll start. Someone was murdered.
    Next...

This blockbuster revelation has really flown under the radar.

#4510 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

My birthday is Saturday, but maybe it'll come early on Thursday
    Just a few more days until the rubber hits the road

Have you made your loved ones aware of the deadline and means with which to get in touch with John?

#4519 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

For some reason my wife has been insisting on Godzilla. I can only leave so many hints, aka empty beer cans, around the house!

KEEP TRYING TO GET HER TO UNDERSTAND. It's your birthday, not hers.

#4521 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

To be fair, I'm pretty jaded. But that random aside seemed like no big deal. My chief construction inspector found five dead bodies the past year. Mix of ODs, gunshot wounds, and one was too far gone to tell.
    Years ago a friend went out of town for Christmas vacation. While he was gone there was a dead body in his front lawn. Random guy who "fell on a screw driver" (make of that what you will) and died in the cold. Kinda amusing, the police went to my friends backyard and took one of his tarps to cover the scene. My friend never got a replacement tarp...
    You guys really gotta try to be more desensitized.

This takes the prize for the grimmest thing I've read on a pinball forum.

That said, I still want to hear about GWJ's dead body.

#4534 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

The real reason to not fool with MDF for a prototyping playfield is MDF will hate it if you try to move posts around to tweak geometry.

Trey, you've clearly got some interest and homebrew pinball knowhow. Would you head up Halifax way for a long weekend or whatever if John opened the doors of his workshop to a la Ben and Jpop's initial coupling?

#4549 1 year ago

Think I will keep drinking until my medical doctor gets serious concerns.

1482337793-bornstein (resized).jpg1482337793-bornstein (resized).jpg
    #4550 1 year ago

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 2.24.42 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-29 at 2.24.42 PM (resized).png

What percentage of these comments are GWJ?

#4566 1 year ago

I am not concerned about my beer consumption. More concerned with being over weight like most people.

I feel like there's something you should know.

#4581 1 year ago

Thanks & my blood work in the past is fine. I am sure this build will be a very bumpy ride over the next 6 months.

Why? That's part of the plan?

BTW, I drank a beer last night. Pinball internet points, please.

#4598 1 year ago

I personally just grab what ever I am drinking. Now still in parts of Quebec you can still get the quart bottles of beer. I had 3.5 of those bad boys late one night out of 4. Everyone spoke French in the bar. I got back to the motel room owned by the bar, & had a puke outside by a u haul truck. It was mid November up North, the start of snowmobile racing, & already 4 inches of ice on the town roads. Another pinball buying adventure with my friends in Canada or to USA. Had another one in the spring to Boston, the Hotel in Calais Maine was a shithole literally.

Like I said, Greatwich John's True Pinball Land Stories is content ripe for creation. tagging ZMeny

#4609 1 year ago

While we're waiting on the big name reveal of Mystery Game X, has anyone else realized we don't even know the name of Mystery Enterprise Y that's making it?

Stern is making Rush. Pinball Adventures is making Punny Factory. So who's making this?

#4615 1 year ago

Are you seriously telling me none of the creatives on the thread wants to pitch GWJ ideas for a company name (and maybe logo)??

#4622 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

The transition from whales to timelines to beer appears to have dampened the enthusiasm for this thread. Perhaps the theme reveal will heat things up a bit.

Hopefully. Though I don't think a single theme should impact a company name. So I may set aside some focused time to brainstorm.

#4626 1 year ago

Blowhole Entertainment

80 Proof Pinball

Whale of a Time Amusements

#4648 1 year ago

Someone is finally thinking, there is a breadcrumb.

Just call me Hansel. Or Gretel. Or Lil' Willy Hoover.

#4656 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

People following the breadcrumbs would be less lost if they followed the beer bottle caps.
    Can you imagine a whale hunters version of the dotted line Family Circus comics?[quoted image]

Dream theme.

#4661 1 year ago

Always seem to follow the shortest path to my next bar all these years. Same as a straight line for the most part at our NSLC stores. I still like to frequent the NSLC stores that were in the TPB series over the years. Get some exercise getting the 36 can suitcase of Bud Beer, to keep my wife happy after 33 years being together.

If I recall correctly, the traditional 33rd anniversary gift is actually a suitcase of Busch beer.

#4681 1 year ago

GreatWhale Pins

#4710 1 year ago

No one joined in just like I had hoped. Now it is a restricted club build of what ever the coach has for a title & theme.

Congrats on dodging that bullet + jeers to whoever put you in front of the firing squad!

#4725 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

So the plan would seem to be that nothing changes in your life but you still somehow get a pin done in 6 months. That’s a great plan. There are lots of things I’d like to accomplish while changing none of my life

Second part's easy. It's the secret to the first I'd like.

#4733 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Some stuff!
    I assume you have another sling for the bash toy that is still TBD. And just a lot more stuff in general to cut down on shipping costs...
    Any reason you went with that auto launch mech vs the cheaper one https://www.pinballlife.com/shooter-lane-auto-kicker-assembly.html
    Could have saved a couple bucks and gotten a 4 ball trough instead of 8. But hey, why not...

Yes there is a reason. It's four letters long, it starts with a p, and it rhymes with (beer) can.

#4743 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

It's day one of the build. Did anyone realistically think there was going to be some big grand hoopla or plan reveal here?

I thought there was (is?) some chance we'd get a big theme/title reveal from Coach.

#4749 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballkim:

Good point. How could I have forgotten? Guess I had a few too many beers last night.

Or a few too few (beer increases pinball acumen).

#4810 1 year ago

Time-sensitive question: How many beers should I drink over the long weekend?

For a starting-point reference, I've reduced my consumption (doctor's recommendation - sounds like I should get a GWJ referral) from say an unequally distributed across the week average of 1.25 per day to around .5.

#4813 1 year ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

If you have to ask you should probably stick to water.

Disagree. I value subject matter expertise.

#4817 1 year ago

Spent most of my day at the barcade doing service work. Friday night I will relax & have some beers at a collectors house. Pop machine was not touched. Beer drinking tonight likely 5 or 6 buds. I will see how his 4 weed plants are growing.

With respect to the 6-month build plan, how far in advance do you schedule each day's particular tasks? And are you the type who likes to cross them off one by one as they are accomplished throughout the day or all at once before clocking out for the night?

#4822 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I'm looking at a tree right now that could be used for a cabinet. Better get on that, lots of steps to go!

Photographic evidence?

#4827 1 year ago

Yes shit happens & you work through it. Seen it before with cad programs & others that I do not use. Jon stated today that I might have to find a printer that does blue print work. Not a slam on one of my printers. Like I say I will find out & move ahead next week. It maybe weeks before Doug reveals the title & theme of the first game. Still have no idea on who the artist might be, or if title & theme have changed again from what I think he wants. There is lots of time to get it done on the Texas show schedule 2023.

Nearly six full months.

Just like me, it sounds like you're looking forward to finding out the theme and title of the game you're making, along with who will be doing the art. And I expect you'll likely be at or near the top of the list of finding that out from Coach whenever he makes those decisions.

#4833 1 year ago

Time-sensitive question: How many beers should I drink over the long weekend?
    For a starting-point reference, I've reduced my consumption (doctor's recommendation - sounds like I should get a GWJ referral) from say an unequally distributed across the week average of 1.25 per day to around .5.

Decision made.

jalapenomouth (resized).jpgjalapenomouth (resized).jpg
    #4842 1 year ago

Holiday weekend. Opened the bar near the workshop. Had a nice kale salad on the patio with a beer (Blue), & had another beer inside. They had 6 drinkers when I left. Got a couple of pork chops, & some hot salami for my meals later on. Beer fridge plugged in incase part of the team comes in later to talk shit.

Sounds like a good Saturday. Stretch goals for the weekend?

#4861 1 year ago

Had my nice discount Nova Scotia pork chops for supper with a Guinness. Good to cook yourself, only ever saw Jpop drinking coffee. Still using my BBQ sauce that was best before about 5 years back. The local guys were a little concerned with the green mustard. So supper & can of Guinness was just over $5. Thanks coach for the first free beer from the coke pop vendor. You can stack some cans in the mini door!
    [quoted image]

I thought the beers cost $.25

#4868 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Beer count is .... Ummm... Something north of 10 but.... Damn... Holiday weekend and you know... Lots. Tomorrow morning gonna be rough!

Whoa cool. Didn't realize you were manufacturing a pinball machine too.

#4874 1 year ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Dude seriously. That’s a serious fire hazard. I’m not trying to bust your chops, I’m trying to keep you from an explosion.[quoted image]

Don't be a hater.

#4895 1 year ago

Well the doctor & others on this thread are not banging on about my drinking. We have a Casino here & never really won anything in the past. They did have a all you can get buffet that was reasonable before Covid. Usually if I go to Oasis Bar & poverty bet I break even most times. A real history with this bar LBR: https://oasishfx.com/about/
    Back in time women were not allowed into the taverns or bars. I like the $11 pitchers of Bud draft, usually it is 2 & not just the one. I was there Saturday night, only had the 1 pitcher & broke even on gambling.

The pinside donation fund, freed up by Kim's gift, has been unleashed!

#4901 1 year ago

Yes I love all this must be the biggest Troll post on pinside history. I can get things done, & have been around the hobby the last 27 years. Always post with my real name, talk at shows, & meet industry people over the years.
    Yes it is a little slow out of the gate, I will find a printer next week who can print full size the layout. Then things will start moving along.

I have confidence John isn't trolling. As he writes, and which I've learned about over the course of this thread, he has a lengthy history on and off pinside documenting his pinball endeavors. This will be a journey to follow and one that I hope leads to success.

Incidentally, I just listened to the July 31 podcast interview where he had a chance to speak (though not as much as the interviewer) about the project, and hearing the term "mini whale" out loud made me smile.

That said—and apologies to Coach if this comes off as Monday morning quarterbacking—it occurred to me an opportunity was missed as "baby whale" and "calf" were natural fits all along. Who knows how large the pod may have grown with more attentive zoological marketing.

#4959 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

I bet John is sitting at the bar right now explaining the pinball machine he's building. Beer count =3

Yes I went to my local bar & had 3 beer.

Pinbub You must be some kind of expert pinball manufacturing consultant to have so precisely nailed this one.

#4965 1 year ago

The coach is likely in Vegas this week.

Factual statement, breadcrumb, or both?

#4978 1 year ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Next week?? Here’s determination in the face of adversity.

BEFORE next week. Hopefully.

#5058 1 year ago

John, ever given consideration to spending slightly less on beer, bars, and gambling so that you could spend an equivalent amount more on food that would be healthier, tastier, and less resembling of bowel movements?

#5072 1 year ago

The coach is there in Vegas. Like I say Ice Ice Baby, & see if you find him. I had a pitcher & 3 draft at the local barcade. Found out that the operator is in on a Bond pro. Got word back from the third printer that Jon Norris file is a no go. So I reached out to see if he can load a USB & send it up. Shit happens! So that is where I am at until next week.
    Why would anyone give up what they enjoy in life. I would rather enjoy drinking beer, & having food that may not be the best for you. I do not smoke or vape, & enjoy a rare cigar. I can barely walk, so I am not going to be a runner or jogger. Still waiting in the future for right hip surgery, & likely left foot surgery (right foot already done).

Jon, what do you think are the odds the file could be printed within an hour of making it available to interested parties on the thread?

#5107 1 year ago

Here's a list of 25 purported free options https://www.guru99.com/file-sharing-sites.html

#5119 1 year ago

There is affordable drinking beer options. You just have to find the cheapest locations that are still good. Also my wife likes her Bud, & I buy it in the 36 pack suitcase. No need to go to the gym with one of these on the bus & to our slum apartment with no elevator.

Have you considered doing video blog updates a la Haggis with Celts to take us through the design and manufacturing process journey? I would be an instant paid subscriber, and I am sure many others here would be too. Imagine the amount of beers and even non-expired meats that could net you.

#5128 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Must have read my mind! Who have you tapped for coding? A recent upstart looking for exposure, or a seasoned veteran who is bored af?

Looks like someone isn't a breadcrumb collecting enthusiast

#5160 1 year ago

Let the crusade continue, might have to visit my local bar to relax with a few before going out for the Friday night social. Play pinball & drink some Bud cans! Watch people smoke their legal weed, or puff away on e cigs, or the dedicated smokers of cigars or real smokes.

*checks day 9 of production calendar* *confirms task list is correct*

#5170 1 year ago
    Quoted from parsonsaj:

Was another task attempted today? Or are we holding until the next attempt to print the file next week, or not?

I'm not sure which of the following have already been completed, are in progress, or are scheduled for later:

1. Visit local bar to relax with a few (beers)
    2. Go out for Friday night social
    3. Play pinball
    4. Drink some Bud cans
    5. Watch people smoke:
    5a. Marijuana
    5b. E-cigarettes
    5c. Cigars
    5d. Cigarettes

Does anyone have recommendations for project management software that could be used for this project, even if only by pinside for tracking and visualization?

#5175 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

I really liked the weekly synopsis format. Really sums up the efficiency of this project quite well.

Agree. Hopefully that becomes a recurring feature. Though my sympathies to the poster having to consolidate for that summary when all of the above is but for a single day.

#5181 1 year ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 11.29.28 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-09-09 at 11.29.28 AM (resized).png

#5182 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

To be honest, things seem to have slowed since Coach disappeared.

As a fan of the team since its founding, I have to admit it's discouraging that Coach went awol just before week one of the season.

#5187 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

When does the coach return from LAS.. Harry Reid airport I believe? Eta ?

This fanbase needs one of those folks that track flights to try to figure such things out.

#5222 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

No - he’d rather you folks rain attention and engagement with him here non-stop everyday

Hmm, then maybe he needs to start paying us.

#5233 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

The term "fire extinguisher" and the catch phrase "or not" in the same sentence seems like a bridge too far. Remember, safety first above all else.

safetyfirst (resized).pngsafetyfirst (resized).png
    #5255 1 year ago

Have to think that once the local friend maybe mini-whales get an eyeful of this progress thread several will take the plunge.

#5259 1 year ago

Or friends of the coach want to join later. I would still like to do a Trailer Trash art & theme. But start with the one & take it from there for Doug. He may chime in this week what his plans are, or not. No one is in a panic mode, & I should be starting the test whitewood later this week #3.

What's the rush?

#5294 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I downloaded this and imported it into CAD for fun. Now I can print this dwg
    [quoted image]
    Total time: 2 minutes

How much to overnight a copy to Halifax? Coach is good for it.

#5355 1 year ago

Yes I cook at the workshop, no worse than having a microwave which I do not like. Cannot have a burn pit, which I liked to have at my house (where I grew up with my mom & brother). Nothing like burning pinball machines, best was Flight 2000 almost complete (the local pinball guys were freaking out over that one).

@greatwichjohn, why did (or do?) you so enjoy burning pinball machines?

@beechwood, when should we expect the next weekly recap?

#5386 1 year ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Someone needs to build the home brew based on this thread. People not following this thread wouldn’t get it but those who know….it could be epic.

Start up a new thread seeking whales to bank roll it. 100% of recent such attempts have successfully secured funding.

#5390 1 year ago

So no more trailer? No more park? No more trash?

#5395 1 year ago

Part of the master plan. Got to look after the coach funding this project. Do you think it will be the only thing for Texas? Still love Trailer Trash as a theme, but you got to get the base game fully going & kinks worked out. If it is some super mini pimped out love fest for Texas. I got no problems with that. I enjoy visiting the lone star state!

Does this mean we have returned to pimped out plans and expectations?

#5483 1 year ago

Wowzers. I step away for a handful of hours and come back to 50+ new posts. Assume beechwood will need to take a half day tomorrow to have enough time to recap the week's production progress.

#5490 1 year ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Will this alter The Plan:
    https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20220913002
    Or not.
    I saw the Queen when I lived in Nova Scotia!

Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 12.00.03 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-09-13 at 12.00.03 PM (resized).png

It certainly could. Or not.

#5493 1 year ago

Here's Jon Norris's FB post about another new design. Looks pretty neat https://www.facebook.com/jon.norris.9275/posts/pfbid035uPsvnNfeSyBL8vkjGesam5cFnbyShB124rnvcB2XJZHPF5L2QKTTCg6XPHAfbyvl

goldenbuffalo (resized).jpggoldenbuffalo (resized).jpg

The promotor in me would suggest asking Jon to next post about Title TBD 2. However, I recognize that doing so could generate additional interest in the project which could lead to more mini whales wanting to invest which could lead to John receiving more money and orders which would lead to increasing production beyond a single machine (up to 10) which is something John hopes doesn't happen. So that would be bad.

#5495 1 year ago

Drink more beer on Monday in honor of the Queen & new King! Beer count 2. Yes the BBQ sauce is 7 years old. Got the steak cooking now.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

If the people who claim this is performance art are correct, Andy Kauffman's got nothing on GWJ.

#5499 1 year ago

Lots of ideas to work from the Great Big State Of Texas. Still have no idea on the title, anyone guess?

Texas Train Wreck
    Texas Trash

#5502 1 year ago

Steers and Queers
    Lone Star Dumpster Fire

#5522 1 year ago

The coach has sent the 2nd installment of $1k USD, & the blue print is now ready for pickup Wednesday morning. I will get most of the parts ordered this week.

You really think so?

#5525 1 year ago

Of course most parts needed & another bonus mech will be ordered.

Cool. Post the overall parts list?

#5560 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Alright boys, we got a print out placed on some very thin left over wood paneling...
    Time to glue down the sheet, screw some posts down, put in some rubbers, bend some metal rails, and flick the ball around by hand.

Gotta order the (majority of the) parts first. And wait for them to be delivered.

#5565 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

True. The more I read - seems that their was a lot of confrontations over family inheritance - and it wasn't always civil.

Just like Game of Thrones!!

#5616 1 year ago

Drilling for the flippers has started.

What kind of drill is required for wood paneling or whatever the cheap medium you acquired is called?

On the theme front, how prominently will trailers/RVs feature into the Texas theme? Or, John, are you good entirely abandoning the thematic lynchpin that kicked off this passion dream project come true (or not)?

#5645 1 year ago

The plan is still the coaches game & at least 1 other for Texas in March.

Talk about burying the lede. So now we've officially hit there will be two games?

#5668 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

I just think John should make sure he is safe when he eats and a crock pot, away from the flammables, is best for Johns well being.

Stop being such a hater.

#5669 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

John, can you give us an idea of what, if anything, you personally will be actually doing in the build of this machine other than the paneling whitewood?

He is the project manager.

#5685 1 year ago

I can't help but feel that this pinball production thread has a bit lost its way.

#5699 1 year ago

Hope the cold passes and you feel better quickly, John

#5762 1 year ago

I think you're forgetting trailer park is yesterday's news. This game is all about Texas (or not).

#5769 1 year ago
    Quoted from Thor-NL:

Relieved we are past the "or it dies" phase.

You for sure about that?

#5781 1 year ago
    Quoted from Manhattan:

You guys are hilarious. The first two thirds of this thread was legions of pinsiders finding fault with everything John wrote and downvoting to the extreme. Every post was the same then as it is now... random thoughts by Stuart Smalley followed by a beer count. Now it's nothing but upvotes. What Happened? Did those guys give up and leave? Did Ben finally keep the 'I'm leaving the thread for good' promise?
    We are still early days. So much more to come. This thread keeps on giving especially now that we are coming down to real pinball with whitewood (wall panel) starting.

It's nice to be important. But it's more important to be nice.

#5795 1 year ago

The first one is the hard one, then a second is easier, & so on. The plan is still for a twin, not identical. I would prefer Trailer Trash, but another local mini whale is thinking about his dream game Motorhead. He is local & will be looking at the game. Same as Doug & I know other mini whales, that may show interest late Fall.

Might we be approaching 3 (of up to 10) territory?

#5798 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

This metaphorically describes my sex life in high school. It's hard to explain but I think you covered it.

And the manufacturing progress in this thread describes mine.

#5824 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

How is the color of the ham not a bigger topic.

I recall a kid's book partially dedicated to this topic.

#5911 1 year ago

If we need more vegans on the thread, we should recruit him back. I get the impression I'm the only dedicated blueberry eater left standing.

#5929 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

Agreed. Blueberries are among the most healthful foods.
    Many experts rank sardines as very healthful as well. In fact, a strong argument can be made that sardines are the perfect food in terms of nutrition, availability and economic cost. I love a good sardine sandwich with onions on seeded rye.
    It's an acquired taste, I realize. Plus, in the context of Pinside, SardineJohnson isn't all that catchy. The visual has me imagining some hideous, Medusa-like sardinosaur figure with fish-head hair strands on a Cactus Canyon renamed Aluminum Canyon.

Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 4.11.23 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-09-21 at 4.11.23 PM (resized).png
    #5935 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

[quoted image][quoted image]

What app is this with the "anonymous user" posted format?

#5959 1 year ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

Speaking of froot loops...I was at a baseball game the other day and saw a father carrying a toddler and in his hand was a bag of froot loops - BUT - they were huge! I had to look it up. Apparently, giant froot loops exist. greatwichjohn, are these available in Canada? If not, I may have to send you a bag (or a box as apparently they're available as cereal as well) so you can have the crack of snacks on steroids!
    [quoted image]

This could be a game changer.

#5972 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I mostly just like that single level playfields are making a minor resurgence. Sounds like the CGC Pulp Fiction game is single level too

That is what they say.

#6013 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Curious if you have an estimate of the percentage of your pension you spend on beer and gambling.
    Maybe a slight reduction on those would result in more funds for higher quality meat.
    I understand it's cheap beer and nickel gambling ... but even that adds up if you do it enough.

Per John, it did add up to not being enough to afford the donation to pinside, a site on which he posts thousands of times per year, year after year.

Had not Kim proactively, kindly, and unwittingly taken care of that budgetary roadblock, perhaps your advice would have prompted a pinside donation jar to fill with gambling nickels and beer loonies. Or perhaps he can start one now for next year's donation.

#6017 1 year ago

John has been crystal clear about his drinking, so I suggest everyone here stops advising he drink less... and gets to work on a deepfake of his doctor advising it instead.

#6025 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Hurricane Fiona set to slam Eastern NS very early tomorrow morning. The storm will then travel over Cape Breton and onward to NFLD.
    Best of luck John and fellow Canadians / tourists in her wrath. I'll be watching and praying no one is injured.
    [quoted image]

Stay safe, Canadian friends!

#6048 1 year ago

I did not put up money on pinside due to personal stuff going on here. There is more to it then most people know. Not being cheap, but it is a 2 way street. I definitely would pay some dollars in the future depending on my treatment here. So try to figure that breadcrumb out, or not!

Did any of that personal stuff involve beer, nickel slots, and jukeboxes?

#6051 1 year ago

No & I do not need to rock the boat here.

Got it. The good news is if you set aside $1 USD per week starting now you'll be good to go well in advance of next year's renewal.

#6056 1 year ago

Yes I am a free person, & my treatment here is how I spend my dollars in support or not. Read into that what you want. If I am treated fairly Robin will get future support. Not much more I can say without risk of moderation.

I thought it was a strictly financial matter

I usually donate but most people know about the personal bankruptcy & other financial burdens from winding down my past pinball business. Along with my early retirement after health issues from working 6 days a week for the city.

#6160 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I’m not a scientist, but by the looks of it, you post more often than John.

Good thing I've donated.

#6187 1 year ago

Beechwood isn't Wednesday the weekly wrap-up? I understand if you've dropped the bit. That said, I figured you'd be grateful for the prompt on the off chance it simply slipped your mind. Wouldn't want you to feel regretful come Thursday morning.

#6243 1 year ago
    Quoted from TAVsPlace:

Can’t wait for TPF! No matter what happens I hope we can all get together and play johns pin, if not at least have a beer together.

Has John, Coach, or Jon contacted TPF about doing a panel?

#6292 1 year ago
    Quoted from brucipher:

One month in and what, maybe 3-5% accomplished? You better step up your game and pray that there are absolutely no hiccups along the way. I would love to see your timeline, because I don't know how you expect to have to have a fully built, well playing, coded machine made from scratch in 5 months. I'd love to be proven wrong, but it's hard to fathom.

3-5% to me seems high (unless we're counting the playfield design which was ready prior to the starting of the clock).

While this thread has a great variety of things, I'm in favor of reducing that by dropping the fart talk.

Is the timed mode now the plan or a possibility? If it's the latter, I'd encourage you to lose it. Every decade or so someone tries it and it fails because it's worse than just letting people just play pinball. Great as a mode. Lame when it's the whole game (in my opinion, of course).

#6332 1 year ago

The coach wants the bash toy to be a Texas Beer can (Lone Star).

Unmodified Lone Star can that actually gets smashed up. And then replaced as needed with a new empty?

#6382 1 year ago

Perhaps the thing I find most interesting is that, per John, a) the plan is completely on schedule and b) basically nothing was accomplished in September or is expected to be accomplished in October.

For both to be true, it means there exists a six-month production plan where the goals for months one and two are to do nothing.

#6417 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

It is 'The Coach' or is it 'The Enabler'? I know I drink more than my share, but if someone was funding me with beer I would be in trouble!
    Seems like the beer counts are getting slowly higher, and more frequent. I remember a lot of no beer for 3 or 4 days at a time, and now it seems every day is a pretty high count.

He was sick with a cold for several days, negatively impacting beer consumption.

#6449 1 year ago

Well the coach & I were told to look elsewhere. So try to figure out that one. Never met the Fast Pinball Team, & never said anything bad about the company or products. Aaron says the new controller should be available before Expo, but not a single one would be available this Fall for the build by me. Anyone else in the Homebrew club probably will have no problem buying.

Here's my attempt: There are insane supply chain shortages. FAST likely is being on fulfilling orders and may not have the parts they need to meet demand from manufacturers who use their boards. Or longstanding customers.

Someone with whom they have not done business who is documenting his zero=progress plans for designing and building 1 or up to 10 machines on a timeline everyone describes as nigh impossible contacts FAST saying he wants to buy 1 (or up to 10) boards?

FAST has too many orders and too few boards. FAST has to decide how to allocate boards. FAST decides to not allocate them to you.

That said, this is all conjecture. It could well be that Damian from Haggis has pulled string to blacklist you from FAST because reasons.

#6570 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Imagine what would be different in this process and final result if he landed the 100k whale.

Nothing, right?

#6637 1 year ago

36 suitcase of Bud is all we see on the East Coast. We saved all her bags of her hardboiled eggs, & her frozen dinners without power for 48 hours. Today [email protected] confirmed the second order is on its way with Multimorphic boards. Beer fridge is still full, only had 1 beer at the workshop. I bought another 48 Blue bottles, maybe part of the team will have a few Sunday. Beer total today was 4.

Would you share a photo of one of these beer suitcases? You mention them often. It's not a concept with which I'm familiar.

#6638 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Pass. I have an existing project I already fiddle with when I'm not shit posting online.
    It does look like a fun design though. I do kinda want to put a very rough version of it together lol.

But your existing project doesn't have a ready-made home in a thread with more posts than the cornerstone bond and elwin bond threads combined.

Think of the exposure.

#6642 1 year ago

I wonder if John's vegan brother is similarly the yin to John's yang in other ways.

Wealthy, teetotaler, stressed out, meticulous, hotheaded, etc.

Could make for a great sitcom.

Or a great Stern pro level TPF game theme.

#6659 1 year ago

Why not order all of the parts at the same time? Save on shipping + lock in your place in line. Increase chances of receiving everything in time should fulfillment challenges emerge.

428 posts in this topic match your search for posts by blueberryjohnson. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blueberryjohnson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching?tu=blueberryjohnson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.