Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1158 Summary of downsides Posted by pookycade (1 year ago)

Post #5133 Programmer Posted by Mr68 (1 year ago)

Post #5520 2nd installment of $1k USD Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #5946 Week 3 summary Posted by Beechwood (1 year ago)

Post #6424 Thread summary for week 5 Posted by Beechwood (1 year ago)

Post #7332 How to reset your password Posted by Jvspin (1 year ago)

Post #8068 Another $1k USD provided ($5k now?) Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #9810 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #10008 Another installment of $1k USD ($6k total now?) Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider haymaker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#40 1 year ago

I was off pinside all weekend while I enjoyed the holiday's here in the US. My guess was trailer park boys since like page 2. Honestly I do think thats a good idea for a theme but thats about where all the good ideas ended. David Fix being mentioned is comical to me as well. We all know he's the king of good ideas and great themes in pinball. I don't picture him being Greatwich 2.0 at some point in the future, no no...certainly not.

#96 1 year ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Not saying John can pull this off but Joe balcer, jim Thornton, Jeff bush and I, with a bit of help with assembly, took Houdini from nothing more than a title to having three fully playable prototypes at a show in four months. We were working looooong days, six, seven days a week for a good chunk of it. Of course Joe and Jim had been involved in start-ups before and we’re very well connected with vendors. I had a done a machine from scratch, so we had a lot of expertise and experience. Still, everything had to go right and and we did not have a flipping machine until a few days before the show.
    I have yet to meet anyone in the industry who was not shocked by what we did, considering we started with basically nothing. John has 8 months, so twice the time, so anything is possible, but I would certainly not bet on it.

Twice the time for John, but also being in canada and covid things working against him..... Do we believe in miracles?

#176 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oscope:

Is TPB a spin-off of the Jackass series? I have seriously never seen the series listed….

This is the second time I've heard this this week. Is it really something people think?? How have so many of you guys never seen trailer park boys lol. The best way I can describe it is a less cringey version of The Office with degenerates at a trailer park instead of office workers. Its scripted but filmed like a documentary. Its been on the air for like 20+ years

#180 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

It's on Netflix if anyone wants to check it out. I thought the first few seasons were great, but my wife and I lost interest in it over time and never finished it. Worth trying out. I personally don't think the theme would work well with pinball, but I also thought The Big Lebowski is a really weird theme choice as well.

Yeah its definitely not as great and popular as it once was, but people still have nostalgia for it and enjoy it today, much like I think somebody could make another Simpsons pin and get away with it. I think theres a lot you could do with the theme tbh.

#264 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

People have not seen what a pimped out machine by my team will look like, & maybe never will. It would definitely stand out from the crowd.

So do you have a design? Or you need a designer in place? I don't understand how a machine can be "pimped out" but you don't even have a design yet. It kinda sounds like you're just one of those "they should make X theme pinball" and "it would be cool if there was like...(insert toy(s) that may or may not be practical to mechanically design here) in it!"

I think if you had even like a whitewood or good design drawings at least it would go a long way in accomplishing your goal. Coming up with the ideas is the easy part, anyone can do that...

1 week later
    #659 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

This thread... It's like a Jeep in a death wobble.
    Just can't look away though.

If you have experienced death wobble before then you know. Haha, so scary!

Quoted from WARLOCK:

And finally, everyone "reasonable" is posting now on this thread topic.
    When "earlier in this thread" I was "down-voted" for trying to be realistic.
    I have never been "down-voted" ever. Please re-read this thread and "up-post". Please and Thanks.
    I tried to stop this insanity very early on; and although I have been here for a decade or more.. Jeebuz...

You weren't being reasonable my guy, you were just karening it up yelling for the manager to lock the thread. Don't deprive us of our entertainment.

#716 1 year ago

Doesn't PETA have a ship that they send out to stop whalers? Maybe this is what is causing the lack of interest in this project

#722 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

It's actually paid for by one of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I guess they love whales?

Its gotta be Anthony Kiedis, Flea has smaller fish to fry

Quoted from wcbrandes:

I'm guessing the whale is providing 100k in Canadian currency rather than the over hyped American currency?

He's asking for USD but I think he'd accept Canadian if that was what was available. Pintasia 2.0 perhaps? This is a great business opportunity, Bill!

#738 1 year ago

Lets see if you bought a $300k US car, & think you would get the same quality & build for one at $30k US.

That depends, are we talking Toyota vs Maserati?

#1263 1 year ago

Maybe Turner Pinball can hire John

#1333 1 year ago

Just guesses:

Retired designer- Jon Norris
    Artist: Constantino Mitchell if the art is going to be bad. Alternate guess: Markus Rothkranz

#1369 1 year ago

After my right foot surgery I rarely go into water (last 3 years). I did get into a pool & hot tub one night going to Pintastic Show. Probably drown now if I go into open water. Now I am having left foot pain, but my right hip is better (maybe that can wait another 10 years).
    There will be piss jugs in the game I build somewhere. Part of the show, & a well known thing before long haul truckers made it a popular topic. Almost like do not eat the yellow snow.
    Yes live & learn, now people will try to get that seminar footage for a laugh.

There should be a piss jug below the game and if you can fill it up with piss, you get a jackpot. Bonus points if the piss is above a certain alcohol content

#1418 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

How can you argue with someone who uses the word "dumber"! case closed.
    *never argue with an idiot. They'll only bring you down ro their kevel and beat you with experience *

Is dumber not a word?

#1450 1 year ago

As others have pointed out, poor john here has had to sit through a lot of undeserved grief and name calling. I think the idea/timeline is ludicrous too but whatever. Constantly calling him a drunk and whatnot is out of line. The guy likes to have a couple drinks on the weekend. It doesn't sound like hes just getting shit housed and hes certainly not drinking all the time. Its one of the few things hes got that can bring him a little enjoyment that doesn't cost a ton of money. Let the guy have it without the name calling. I don't believe this sort of activity to be alcoholic or John to be constantly called an alcoholic. The dude likes to crack a few cold ones once in a while. Big whoop. So do many of us!

#1559 1 year ago

OK so once this game is built and GWJ has established himself as a viable builder of pinball machines based on hit canadian shows, can we get a kenny vs spenny pin next?

#1594 1 year ago

I drink Busch Light when I go to the pub. More money to stick into the pinball machines!

#1744 1 year ago
    Quoted from Orko:

Good morning,
    Im looking forward to seeing this topic of discussion to go to got assembly to see
    If this actually could happen .. Couukd you
    Let you keep on the build so that see where you’re act on the project. Thanks for keeping your patience.
    Respectfully,
    Me

Lol, man I am super happy you've come back

Quoted from Roostking:

I respect your answer.
    For me, its slow, boring and costs way to much.
    Id rather camp and bond with family while burning copious amounts of race gas.

fuck yes.

#1851 1 year ago

Getting college kids to work on your project for pretty much free got us the hit video game Action 52!

#1982 1 year ago

Maybe the designer is Ward Pemberton. He's been retired for a while right?

#2326 1 year ago

The problem was, are guys serious about funding (Go Fund Me). My beer gut & brain said NO! Do not think it could happen this month, & like I say likely not with almost 5 months. My pinball industry designer is ready, & I have a timeline to follow. September 1 for 1 or more mini whales is what is needed, not a crap shot on yes there is lots of guys to support this project. Like I say the charity is the loser out of all this. Thought it was a great idea. But so be it, the show must go on.

If it didn't get funded in time, nobody is out anything. At least it gave you a shot. Now what do you have?

#2452 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Quoting myself for internet points with the first Norris mention of the thread

Quoted from Haymaker:

Just guesses:
    Retired designer- Jon Norris

dang it you did beat me to the punch!

Quoted from Tranquilize:

What a waste using this terrible theme.
    John, do Terraform Mars or another cool space theme. Easy to do cool music, and everyone loves spaceships. Nobody wants a politically incorrect adult-only trash theme.

I have never disagreed with a statement more in my entire life.

Quoted from vdojaq:

I now revise my estimate....we would have been fully funded in 5 days

Yes, agreed. The money was there. Even Ben was going to throw in money for this.

I think the project is insane but I also thought the gofundme route was just crazy enough to work or at the very least provide some entertainment. I had a suspicion it would make its goal fairly easily. Get a "whale" or two to donate and I'm sure several of us small fishies would have thrown a few bucks into the pot as well. I don't have big boy money but I would have donated at least a little something. Could have added up quickly. I was shocked when GWJ put the kibash on the GFM.

#2533 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

So if we raise $10k totally separate of you, and come to you with $10k, we can be considered one of the 10 possible mini whales? And get 1 pin?
    I'm sure we could do that before Sept 1.
    Sincerely,
    The collective pinside mini whales

You guys do what you want, but I was only willing to put in a few bucks after Vdojaq's inspiring story. After how that very generous offer to help was turned down, I am OUT. If you guys wanna toss some bucks into a pot somewhere though, be my guest

#2697 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Broken satellite in the corner as a decoration! LOL

Camaro on blocks

"I'm gonna fix er one day!"

#3061 1 year ago

Wow....I missed a lot of action over the weekend. Thanks for helping me get through my Monday morning

#3142 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I kid you not..... a few years ago driving home late on Saturday night I am coming around the bend and there is a blue glowing light in foreground. As I approach, it become more clear that the trash family in the neighborhood were all sitting at a picnic table in the front yard with the bug zapper on the table as the centerpiece. Had to be about 11:30 pm, frickin beer cans everywhere.

I've spent many a night on my back deck, drinkin beers and watching my bug zapper. That bad boy was the best $5 I ever spent and one of my best flea market finds ever. But yeah...I am also kind of a hill billy

#3297 1 year ago

So, lets say this game gets built, and then does indeed go to charity auction....Any predictions on winning bid price? Under or over 10k?

#3368 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn: The only one to step forward from the start with cash in hand was Doug (TPB), & not the Go Fund Me fiasco of the money should be there or not. Like I have

#3383 1 year ago

Yes I do take advice, & Doug would rather not have a bunch of parts going to him. The shit show going on here I was concerned some haters would start buying up this needed target bank. I do not buy anything from Rick at PPS except for the 20 Halogram stickers needed to sell the 3 Williams Bowling themed glass years ago I made. You think buying stuff from Ebay is cheaper? Some sellers will not sell to Canada.

John, in all seriousness, I think you're overestimating the level of "haters" here. I think 99.999% of the detractors here aren't invested enough in what you end up doing to purposely sabotage your operation, especially at the cost of actually putting some money on the line. In fact, I don't think most or any of these people are even actively against you, they just think a lot of this whole thing is silly. Yeah I know you got a couple prank calls, which I agree crosses a line, but do you actually think theres people here that are willing to pay a couple hundred bucks to screw you over on parts? Thats just a ludicrous assumption. Wow cool, I just spent 400 bucks on some 5 bank drop targets I can't ever do anything with to totally PWN GREATWHICH HAHAHAHA!

People wouldn't have put money into the "fiasco" GFM but they are willing to spend untold amounts on buying parts they don't need to shaft you? Come on man.

#3465 1 year ago

Come on Ben lighten up. 1 - 10 games can be done by myself with the help of contractors (team). It is much easier to do, with a well versed game designer on board like Jon Norris. There is much more in play than meets the eye here. Everything has to be reasonable now that it is the $10k USD mini whale build. It will be a pro level pinball machine that could be operated today, not the modern day versions that take a shit load of people & money to bring into mass production.
    No fraud has been done. Everything is in the open for all to see: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly! Doug already has 10% down, & as people can clearly see what stuff is going to cost to build a game. If Jon Norris wants to post up the detailed parts list that will be helping me out you will see some of the costs involved.
    Everything will be recorded for either 1 owner or multiple owners. They will see where the money goes for parts & contractors during the build. So there is no big deposit or all money required before each game goes into production.

This all kind of reminds me of the Mafia pinball build. Just a passionate team of people, building a pro level machine that could be operated today at a price that is roughly $10k today.

#3772 1 year ago

OK so I have a question. The game can't be trailer park boys anymore even though its technically just a 1 off build, but presumably its going to have licensed music in it? So are you getting the proper rights for that or just putting in whatever music coach asks for? If its the latter, why don't you just build a TPB game if you aren't concerned about licensing rights?

#3779 1 year ago

TPB was only going to go ahead if license approval was ok. Trailer Trash could go through a name change & theme choice to suit Doug as the only mini whale or investor. The music is probably ok if its for the individual owners game. What ever the sound calls & rule set will be the same for 1 or up to 10. Doug has likely all of September to figure out what his game will be based on the Jon Norris playfield foundation, & any requests I need done.
    Yes maybe people will start to see the SXSW connection or not. Maybe have the game(s) out in the driveway or not. Maybe there will be a tour bus in the driveway or not.
    I will have the beer situation well underway for myself, & many bars nearby.

But why is TPB not OK if its for the individual owners game?

#3795 1 year ago

Not the music police. What someone puts in their game is their choice.

I could make a trailer park boys game for myself too though. Thats kinda my point. You don't really need the license for the show or the music when you're just building a one off game. Clearly you are still wanting to make a TPB game as you're still holding out hope that they grant you the liscense but from page 1 people have been saying you probably don't need it. I just don't get why you'd be worried about 1 license and not others. What is your criteria for what requires proper licensing and what does not?

#3847 1 year ago
    Quoted from Striker:

Don't count on it. Remember all the difficulties Dutch Pinball got into when it came to the music? The Eagles and some other bands don't care about the money; they don't want their songs affiliated with pinball, or pinball projects that they feel tarnishes their brand.

Quoted from Palmer:

I was responding to John saying any one of his mini whales can put whatever unlicensed music they want on their pins and it doesn't matter. He is taking money to build these. It does matter. Honestly, it's probably better you guys don't talk about these details.
    I am confused what Cleland is going to do. Is he your programmer? Because I am not sure how he is going to use pinball browser to change songs on a non-Stern game.

I would be much more concerned about unlicensed music becoming a legal issue with my game than not getting the proper license to a show for the theme of my game. Seems like historically the music industry and RIAA have been much more aggressive with putting a stop to people using music they didn't pay for. Of course, in reality, I wouldn't be worried about either of those issues if I was just building my own game. Its just weird to be so concerned about landing the rights for one thing in your game but throwing all caution to the wind for another.

#3888 1 year ago

The build has not even started yet. Got Ben saying it will be DOA at Texas, & bunch of people think it will be like old Bally & Stern. Wait until you see the whitewood next month. Likely bad from what the gallery here already thinks.

John, to say my expectations are low is even an understatement. But its not because I'm a hater. Its got everything to do with how you've handled every step of the way so far. From promising a pro machine, then revealing what pro machine means to you, to your handling of the IP and assets or lack thereof, lack of concern about art and gameplay ect. Every single thing that gives me doubts so far has nothing to do with what others have said, and everything to do with what you have said/done.

Now, that doesn't mean my mind is made up. Not even close. I welcome, and encourage you to subvert my expectations and leave me pleasantly surprised. I hope you do just that. We'll just have to see.

#3949 1 year ago

Old school prefer to do my cooking on this. Had some corn for lunch, & thin pork strips are on course for supper. Other days I cook bacon, hot dogs, sausage, & steak on the electric grill. My mother purchased years ago before her death, was still in the box. Has lots of use since I retired. Cook on aluminum foil for the most part. Friends & the operator join in for some food at times. Fits our workshop well since it use to be a bar or pub, than a pizza place. I use it under the exhaust hood, & we have a triple stainless kitchen sink.
    Also got paint cans nearby, got to like the poison label on a old can of Varethane from many years back. Even got 8 auto tires nearby, & cans of spray paint.
    [quoted image]

is that eye of round?

#4149 1 year ago

For the fan club I had another 8 beers on top of the 4 earlier. Ended my night with the local Grim Reaper Steve. https://monstertruck.fandom.com/wiki/Grim_Reaper_(Ride_Truck)

Speaking of beer and monster trucks, my good buddy owns a few trucks, including the Red Dog truck!
    https://monstertruck.fandom.com/wiki/Red_Dog

#4167 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Love to have a signed pic for my man cave...please pm me!!!

I'll see what I can do for ya! I know he's got photos and also this awesome t-shirt he sells when he goes to events

123_1(2) (resized).jpeg123_1(2) (resized).jpeg
    #4600 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

31 days in August, Bub
    Blame Augustus

Yeah, but we're talking about the guy who wanted to show his superior intellect by saying dumber wasn't a word.

#4670 1 year ago

They sunk a boatload of millions of dollars into this pool, & rarely or never took any advice from me. The new filter that the engineer, my supervisor, & lead hand wanted was the last straw for me. Lucky I could retire! Yes I was a Public Pool Instructor for the NRPA in Canada, but to the the city I did not know anything working on pools for over 30 years.

Maybe they had a master plan

#4879 1 year ago

Had some beers at the Rammstein concert in Chicago last night. Someone should make a Rammstein pin

#4948 1 year ago

Yes Doug is one of my printers. The problem still seems to be with the large size file & getting it sent out to a printer. It is likely with my computer. So Doug is a little pissed off at the hassle of trying to print this. Still have not been able to copy the file. So I need to find a printer & try to get Jon Norris to send the file direct to them.

Is there a young adult or teenager around that can show you how to work a computer?

#4971 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I guess this is where most of us differ with GWJ. If we found out the program couldn't be printed, we would seek and find a solution NOW! Make it happen before doing anything else. Once that is accomplished, maybe get a beer and oysters at the local pub. Not to be a dick, but that is why failure is more prevent for some then others, they don't push to the finish. It's not dumb luck, or outside influences out of our control. It's a drive to succeed.
    GWJ, you may need to step up your game to get this going. Do you have the drive to succeed, or just a pipe dream? You are not working for the man anymore, it's all you.
    Make us proud!
    TPF 2023!!!

Exactly. This is one of the easiest possible problems to solve. I was gonna post my advice but treybo already nailed it perfectly.

#5100 1 year ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

True the file could be corrupted or was not set up properly. If it's bigger than 10mb (and I doubt that), then just use any file share service like Dropbox, WeTransfer, One Drive, Google Drive, etc. There is absolutely no reason to be sending USB drives. It is just wasting time.

Came here to say this. Its so freakin easy to send a file over 10mb these days and the options are insanely numerous. Sending a physical USB file in the mail is ludicrous, and if the file is truly corrupted (which I have my doubts) having said file on a physical drive makes zero difference.

#5288 1 year ago

John, do you use any seasoning on those pork chops? I'm a big time meat/grilling guy and I gotta say, so far all your cooks have really left me with a couple questions. Also what kind of bbq sauce do you like/use?

#5291 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

A vintage 2016 batch of open pit that expired in 2017.

jfc lmao

#5313 1 year ago

As for using old BBQ sauce, or Mustard that has long expired. It is still good, or if not it gets thrown out. The guys were questioning the green mustard but it was ok. Everything gets cooked on aluminum foil except for certain hot dogs that need to be grilled.
    Any suggestions on adding stuff to the game, now is the time. They will call me when the blueprint is ready. The cost was $20, which is more than fair. Still no word from the coach & thank you for any donations!

Lol why do you always focus on the obvious joke like its serious and ignore the actual questions

#5407 1 year ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

I find it amusing how much of a hypocrite you are.

He's literally the most toxic guy in here and goes around calling everyone else toxic. He also claims to be a genius but doesn't know what words are. Its really funny.

#5409 1 year ago

We have a large butcher nearby where I get lots of pepperoni, & cheap hot dogs. They seem to be the surplus location for institutional meat products. Like your senior homes, hospitals, etc, So they get like 36 pack of hot dogs that are or have just expired. Takes me over a week to go through a big pack with the help of the operator for his lunch one of those days. No worries they know what they are doing. They supply the mariner business (shipping) with their meat supplies. They also stock a lot of frozen fish products, so you see many people (women) that are not white guys looking for pepperoni. My local bar is across the street, I usually pick up some TNT Brothers pepperoni.
    Today not much of a deal at the stores. Went to the second one & got a nice steak for about $2.50 & 3 days of Genoa salami on sale with the free rolls. Had some swiss cheese with stuffed green olives for breakfast. Salads were not on sale today, likely on Wednesday.
    The coach might reach out to me today, or do the next installment on the build for parts. Still no word on the print being ready. It did go into the que Monday morning.
    [quoted image]

John, I'm curious how well you know your cuts of meat. Obviously, I don't expect you to be eating ribeye every night, but do you know like what cuts are fairly affordable but make good steaks (chuckeye for example) and cuts that should ideally be slow cooked, braised, or stewed? I noticed you cooking some eye of round the other day and now you have this "cross rib simmering steak". Those things are like shoe leather. I know you're a simple man whos just looking for bargains, so I don't knock it, but have you considered cooking them in a different manner to give yourself a delicious yet higher quality meal? With an onion and a can of cheese whiz you could have some killer mini cheese steaks with what you have there. You could look into getting a crock pot/slow cooker for the shop too. Just think of all the cheap and amazing meals you could have simmering all day while you are working, and then you get to sit down to an awesome dinner.

Also WOW beef is expensive in canada. Normally $6.06 for a half pound of tough meat. Sheesh! For $3 off though...not bad.

Sorry I am just a huge nerd when it comes to cooking

#5424 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

Maybe he thought you were stalking him ... meeting up with people you just know from a forum online, and had a bit of seemingly minor arguments along the way maybe he thought it may not be a good idea... If that were the case though he should have just told you that. Perhaps he just had too much going on there...Not always easy to meet up with people while on vacay.

Lol they literally had a public conversation about it after whatever "arguments" were had, agreed to meet up and both seemed genuinely looking forward to it.

#5438 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Fit in? No thanks. You'd be amazed (& surprised who they're from)how many private messages I've received because of this thread. Turns out I'm not the only one disappointed in other humans. I do wish i could refrain from reminding you guys so much tho.. even john has mentioned it! I wish i had his tolerance & kept quiet as much as you wish i do!

Bless your saintly soul. If only we could be as holy as thou! Curse our black hearts!

#5537 1 year ago

You guys, its not hard to be able to discuss the theme and not make political jabs at the same time.

#5543 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I may have possibly drank more beers than you this past week.

I know for a fact that I did.

#5607 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Can you get skirt steak up by you GWJ? It's usually a pretty cheap cut (or used to be) and easy to cook in various ways.

Unfortunately it is now ungodly expensive (at least in my area). Same with Flank. Its too bad because those cuts are amazing and the possibilities are nearly endless.

Quoted from TreyBo69:

All you gotta do is throw everything into a pot in the morning and you get a lot of tasty food that early evening. The slow process will work wonders on cheap cuts of meat.
    My go to crock pot recipe is 3 lbs of cheap steak cut into cubes, half a cup of brown sugar, two cups low sodium beef broth, a cup of low sodium soy sauce, then some garlic and red pepper flakes. Let it cook all day. About twenty minutes before eating, mix in some frozen broccoli. A little corn starch can thicken up the juices if you want. I like to serve that on rice I make in an instant pot. Leftovers all week

It was me and I still stand by it. That recipe sounds great! With a crock pot you could eat like a king for pennies on the dollar and keep buying those shoe leather cuts of meat!

Think I will just avoid cheap steak. Pork chops & everything else is fine. Just got back from Brew HQ, going to be their service tech for games. Next year people will be able to rent a personal kettle, & then take their beer home in a pail. Finish off the process at home & bottle. Nice little arcade set up.
    Staying with the electric grill only, & foil for easy disposal. Had my second meal of Hot Genoa salami with 2 rolls. Yogurt & 2 cake donuts as a snack.
    Drilling for the flippers has started. Seagulls or rats had a steak supper before I got here in the morning.

You could make awesome pulled pork in the crock pot though.

#5620 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Man, I'm from Memphis. I just went to a New England BBQ with pulled pork from a slow cooker. It was a very polite no thank you after one bite.
    It was so bland and needed a ton of sauce and tangy slaw to give it any flavor
    A big green egg would break the bank, but man is it great putting a shoulder in there around midnight and enjoying the next afternoon after a good 16 hour smoke. That thing is so easy to dial in and maintain a good temperature.

I'll be the first one to agree that a crock pot pulled pork isn't even in the same universe as a smoked pork butt, I guarentee it would knock John's socks off though.

#5650 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Yes, you read that correctly, smoking beef chuck. Makes the best poor man's burnt ends ever!

Better than brisket burnt ends even IMO even though chuck shouldn't be called poor mans anything anymore lmao

Quoted from Roostking:

Also, maybe Iceman can send ya some bad ass ribs and texas bbq sauce for a crockpot!
    Maybe he'll send me some hah.

In Texas its all about the brisket, baby. Not ribs! Although I'm sure theres plenty of good ribs to be had in Texas too.

Quoted from jp1985:

Who would throw in on a cured meats pinball machine? Bacon, Prosciutto and Capocollo themed. Mod Couple could make a Slim Jim shooter rod mod.

I want a smoked meats pin

#5694 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Speaking of cooking devices, I am going to pick up this griddle from Sams Club, only $199 (food not included)
    ***STILL waiting on a name for this pin so I can change the title of the thread. C'mon coach, you're slacking[quoted image]

Love my flat top, although compared to my kettle grill and my smoker it gets used the least. I been craving fajitas though so it'll see some action soon! At one point I had a gas grill, charcoal grill, offset smoker, pellet grill, and the flat top. My patio was just too cluttered with outdoor cooking equipment. Shaved it down to the charcoal grill, pellet grill, and flat top.

Man...some nice chicken noodle soup stewed in a crock pot all day does wonders when you're not feeling well. Just sayin
    Also you could probably be eating full meals for under $1 instead of $4-6 for a piece or two of crappy meat and some salami if you actually knew how to shop and use a slow cooker. Its OK if you don't want one, I think I'm just excited because fall/winter is prime slow cooker time for me.

#5825 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

John, I saw that picture, that ham is discolored! Man, seeing this is very disheartening.

Especially knowing what I could make in a crock pot for that much money!

#5870 1 year ago

John just for knowledge, eating animal fats is not necessarily bad for you. In fact its quite good for you (obviously in moderation). Back in like the 80's 90's it was thought that all these fats were bad for you and thats why we got all these vegetable oils and whatnot replacing butter and other fats in foods. If you're going to be concerned about fats in foods be less concerned about natural fats and be more concerned with all the processed fats

#5896 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Nothing from animal products is good for you.

I'm guessing that you're vegan and thats perfectly fine. I'm not one of those guys who is upset by that or says HURR DURR I'M GONNA EAT 2 STEAKS NOW HAHA. I have some good friends who are vegan and there is certainly an argument to be made over the health benefits of it. To say "no animal product is good for you" is scientifically and factually wrong. Don't do your lifestyle a disservice by being that type of person.

Quoted from vdojaq:

I saw that on the news this morning! WTF is wrong with people? Who the hell decides, hmmn chicken and Nyquil, let's try it! About as good as the vagina popsicles.

I swear these dreaded tIk ToK ChAlLeNgEs are like 3 people who've done them and then the news is like HEY BOOMERS LOOK WHAT THE KIDS ARE DOING NOW EVERYBODY PANIC, THESE KIDS ARE DOOOOOOOMED. That being said...gimmie the vagscicles over medicine chicken any day. At least they might have some nice probiotics lol

#5958 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Good point. Let's get even more technical, it's P³-ROC

Is that like a rap lyric? P to the 3 ARE OH SEE

#5987 1 year ago

As for Fast Pinball that is fine that they could not squeeze out one or a few systems this year for my project. I always say it is best to sort out your vendors & contractors. Better for me to find out early enough, & thanks for not dragging it out to Expo or beyond for stock predictions.

Please stop implying that FAST is purposely sabotaging your project.

#5997 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Who da fook said anything like that? They said they're backlogged he said he'd go a different route. And thanked them foe their honesty. It's friday, go have a beer and chill out y'all!

Fast Pinball we decided that they likely did not want to be associated with a trailer trash product, my reputation or other influences (was a a little hard on Haggis Pinball) & were getting some heat applied likely by numerous parties not to be keen on selling a system platform. No big deal, now Gerry will get the wrath!

As for Fast Pinball that is fine that they could not squeeze out one or a few systems this year for my project. I always say it is best to sort out your vendors & contractors.

Some how the relationship soured, wonder why? Just like all the whiners complaining to the moderators to have this shut down. The coach is likely trying not say too much here, so that he is not the fall guy.

I mean, I don't know, seems kinda finger pointy to me Dee-Bow. Like, its pretty cut and dry that FAST didn't have things in stock. They didn't want to let John cut in line so they could fulfil their back orders sounds like the only possible "crime" they committed against John, but yet we keep getting passive aggressive implied accusations from him. Keep downvoting me, keep calling other people toxic trolls while being the most toxic person in here by a huge margin. Not just here even but in pretty much every thread you're in you're a pile of slime stinking up the joint while claiming to be a good guy. You're not. Have fun in the PM's with your circle jerk and learning that dumber is actually a word.

I'd love a beer, I plan on enjoying at least a couple tonight and hopefully more, but for now I'm stuck at work for a few more hours.

#6012 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

you guys act like you're changing the world.

I'm not acting like anything I'm just chit chatting to pass the time at work. Its very rare I'm on this site at all outside of work hours

I'm glad that you finally learned dumber is a word. For your next lesson, learn the definition of implied.

1 week later
    #6246 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Most of us don't care about the destination, just the journey. It's been interesting this far.

Maybe the real trailer trash/texas pin is the friends we made along the way

#6270 1 year ago

OK so screw the beer count, I want a count of how many times you dutch oven your wife after a day of eating discount salad sandwhiches and a night of drinking cheap draft beer!

#6288 1 year ago

Thought that was some sexual saying about how much sex I have with my wife. Glad I looked it up, not the case. As for the real build time of only 5 months before Texas, that is very doable. Remember it is only 1 or a few needing to be finished in that time line for a Stern quality pinball machine (Old Stern to Modern Stern, my guess is something in between along the lines going with Jon Norris single playfield with no ramps).
    Had the egg sandwiches for breakfast, just had the tuna for lunch, & maybe you guys are right (jump on the throne for round #2).
    Homebrood gets first credit on game rules.
    Bingo! There should be a Participation trophy mode in this game where the game suddenly stops and all players have the same score!
    You got it, the coach already knows it will be a timed game. Each player gets a minimum 222 seconds, next level is 444 seconds, & game ends at 666 seconds. The game will start with a ball launched every 5 seconds for 60 seconds at the start of Ball 1. Have all scores of 666,666,666 for max game. You can join the 666 club!

Dutch ovens are funny, dutch rudders on the other hand...well you can keep that info to yourself John, I don't even want any breadcrumbs

#6297 1 year ago

3-5% to me seems high (unless we're counting the playfield design which was ready prior to the starting of the clock).
    While this thread has a great variety of things, I'm in favor of reducing that by dropping the fart talk.

I just wanted to lighten the mood a bit

FWIW I am not a fan of the timed concept, but this game isn't for me anyway

#6492 1 year ago

Maybe it was the public works people that ruined his pool caretaking career that told Aaron not to let John have any boards

#6834 1 year ago

Wow. Still entertaining that notion after the gofundme nonsense? Color me surprised.
    Funny thing is that a gofundme then would have brought in much more than would a gofundme now. The hundred or however many pages since would not engender a lot of funder optimism. That said, if one were posted today people would still throw money toward it (just fewer and less).

I would have donated to the gofundme when it was first pitched. I didn't expect it would work out anyway, but I wanted to give John a chance, no pound of flesh needed. I knew what I would be signing up for.

I wouldn't put a cent toward this clown show now. I'm still rooting for John but some of his comments have really put a bad taste in my mouth and I'm not talking about gray ham.

#6837 1 year ago

Real estate in Austin is INSANE btw, holy crap!

#6901 1 year ago

Here in the midwest we don't have funeral sandwiches we have funeral potatoes

gooey-potatoes-13 (resized).jpggooey-potatoes-13 (resized).jpg
    #7124 1 year ago

John, just recover your e-mail (its not hard to do) and lets keep this train moving.

Edit- If you absolutely insist on inconveniencing literally everybody by getting a new e-mail, then for the love of god stop using boomer hotmail and just get a Gmail account or something.

#7138 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

What’s wrong with hotmail? It’s not like it is aol.

Its just antiquated, and yes it is kind of more trouble than normal when you get locked out of your account. Google just makes everything more simple. Plus you just know you're dealing with an old hat when you get a dreaded hotmail, yahoo, or aol e-mail address. Really theres nothing wrong with it, but it seems GWJ has trouble with e-mail accounts, google should be very simple to keep track of.

Quoted from Mr68:

Even Boomers look down on AOL.

AOL is so silly it could almost be considered cool like if you wanted to be an internet hipster lol. I should sign up for a Lycos e-mail account.

#7165 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

Ok, I don't like being called a boomer or being shamed for using AOL so I hope it's considered cool! But if you call me a hipster, then we got a real problem!
    Will never put my mullet in a manbun!

I unironically wear my hair in a manbun fairly often. Get a lot of comments from the peanut gallery. The funny part is that I really don't blame anyone for doing it lol. Maybe I'll forget to put my hat on when I'm at expo just so I can hear a couple more jokes at my expense My favorite is when bald/ing dudes wanna bash my stupid hair, I think they are just jealous of my luscious locks

PS- nothing personal guys, if you still use a hotmail account or something.

#7216 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

No, it's you live in Rockford and you have a man bun. Just as long as you are not hanging out at the Office there downtown.......

Never been to The Office LMFAO

Technically I live outside of Rockford. Try to avoid Rockford as much as possible. That might just be even more reason for me to have the bun though!

#7231 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

My sister and brother in-law moved in to Rockford about 2 years ago. They moved to IL after 35 years in California. As a joke I sent them to this great bar called "The Office". Once they were there for a while, they got the joke but had fun anyway. I laughed for about a month on that one!

Bahahaha thats incredible

#7296 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

You mean like the Chicago Bears!!!

and the packers

The bears are gonna suck no matter what

Quoted from pookycade:

Multiple times the question has been raised about whether we are all being trolled. I have always taken the side of no, this just is what it is. But as we dive further in from someone who has reproduced playfields (allegedly) and submits this ridiculousness, you have to reconsider that question. Because if this is done in all seriousness there is something really really wrong here.

Its not a troll. John just likes having some attention and meaning in his life and this project and thread provides it. Doesn't matter if its good or bad.

#7531 1 year ago

John, what kind of salad dressing do you like to use for your healthy salads when you have them?

#7534 1 year ago

Actually the store allows you free packages of dressings depending on the size of the salad. Free croutons are good with a salad or on their own. Had 2 beers at the bar that has Happy Hour all day Monday & Tuesday, or every day 5 - 7 pm. Margaret at Pinball Life was processing the 3rd order with Pinball Expo discount. I drink Keiths bottles only at that bar, & there was 13 free credits on the Jukebox (pick only single credit ones). I will be eating the rest of the pepperoni I dropped on the floor for supper (5 second pick up rule, or not).

Yes, I have no doubt that dressing is included with the salad. I am asking what is your dressing of choice

#7577 1 year ago

Honey Dijon? Not what I would have guessed, but you do you! 340 cal, 12 g of sugar, 600 mg sodium in 2 packets. Not exactly super healthy but you could easily do much worse.

#7584 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

have you seen the grey ham .... the dressing is the least of his risks

I'm talking strictly from a nutritional standpoint give me the salad any day over the gray ham

https://www.facebook.com/eggs/videos/643690749490920/
    Other egg commercials out there that insult males even better than these. Maybe they got pulled off the air.

Do people actually think eggs for dinner is weird? At least this is way better than the cereal for dinner ads I've been seeing here in the US lately

#7601 1 year ago

Yes everything is going as planned. Only start to get concerned if things look bad by the end of the year (2 months left before Texas deadline). I try to avoid buying discount sausage product since it was likely frozen & thawed. Taste like shit if you repeat the cycle. Had cheap $1 mac & cheese for breakfast, with a Tims coffee (McD was closed for some reason).

frozen and thawed sausage must be really bad if thats where you draw the line in the sand flavorwise!

#7645 1 year ago

John what is your tool of choice for cutting out the paper parts of the blueprint, like around the pop bumpers and whatnot

#7648 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

Got enough on my" (Hot Plate) " here
    John does not have a hot plate, he only has the "electric grill" from his dead mother...
    Going to stick with that or not or until it dies!

I was thinking we should have gone with "picnic plate"

The best part is the label said chicken and then somebody crossed it out and wrote in pen "rib"

#7655 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Definitely a set of tasty ribs there! Not chicken. The edit was correct.

I mean I think they ARE ribs, but thats about as far as I'd go

#7678 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

John, again, I have to ask. Are you being compensated for all of this work? I am not talking about just being allowed to work in that old fast food store front where the games are. Because you do an awful lot of work for these operators that has much more value then the few feet of space you get to work in.

No kidding, spending even an hour or two doing on site repair should net at least something. Most people would charge easily over $100 for that. Heck, I charge $100 to show up and $50/hour after the first hour. Being a nice guy is one thing, but really you should be compensated for your time and the skills you've honed over the years.

#7680 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Isn't the whole thing John gets free workshop space and electricity for his hot plate? Not an amazing arrangement, but it's something.

Oh yeah, thats right. It does seem like maybe he helps more than 1 place though?

#7814 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

So here we are at Nov 1. 33% of the build time has come and gone. I do not need to state the obvious.
    What I do want to say is what this has really become. This is no longer about a pinball build, that is actually the secondary story at this point. This has become a daily, or almost daily blog of one man's daily life. We all know the routine, buses, shopping at Sobey's, cooking at the shop, drinking beer, keeping a wife happy every few days with a 36 pack of beer, and a few minutes of actual work on a pinball machine that someone else is paying for. On top of that, working on everyone else's machines are a priority.
    This is not a joke on any of us. This is a cruel joke that John unconsciously is playing on himself. There is a complete disconnect between the knowledge of how a pinball machine works vs having the knowledge to execute an actual build. This IS the exact same scenarios with John's playfields that went from promises of months to years and years before paid customers got their products. There were lessons to be learned, but once again that disconnect has reared it's ugly head. We are $4K deep here, and there is really nothing here to see. Does anyone else here see that the $10K budget is most likely on the VERY short side?
    We are all witnessing a troubling look at me. The name dropping, the stupid breadcrumbs, the daily beer counts are all of a person screaming for attention. That in itself is very sad. While the products that John eventually put out, the playfields and the backlglasses, were of quality work, the bottom line is they were all financial disasters. It did not put him in the spotlight of the other pinball replacement part manufacturers. He was actually the butt of many jokes. So now this ill conceived Trailer Park Boys machine was going to be his savior, his shining moment, finally at the level of the others in the pinball industry. Well, we all saw how that went and how many jumped at the $100K whale opportunity.
    John finally lands our infamous Iceman as his mini whale. Ice has many stories of his own with upstart pinball builders that have not gone well. The machine has gone from a STERN pro style machine to a STERN style solid state era machine with a 6 month build time. Professionals in the business pointed and laughed and they have all but excused themselves from this thread. 60 days have passed since we were all told that the hardcore work on this build was going to begin. What do we have? Nothing that would suggest anything hardcore has been accomplished.
    On top of that, seeing the amount of work John does for other people all in the name of "having space to work in", I firmly believe John is being taken advantage of.
    I have personally met John at Pinball Expo. He is a VERY happy go lucky guy. He is also a nice guy, but being a nice person doesn't mean you have what it takes for whatever. As others have suggested, most people are in the positions they are in because that is exactly where they put themselves. There are times that being a fly on the wall would most likely generate much disbelief. I cannot view things the way he does. It's so oddly different that it becomes appealing to those of us following all of this.
    What does it all mean? It means John has set himself up for personal failure. Along the way it has also become sad. The desire for attention in the pinball world, the drinking, the self deprecation over his poverty level and more and more I think a poor relationship with his wife. I feel for the guy, but at the same time wonder how someone can go through life with such blinders?
    What is it we are all waiting for at this point? It's not for a machine to be built, we all know better. It's the next hammer to a computer, the next paneling playfield dropped and smashed, it's the next grey ham or expired funeral sandwiches, the next 12 plus beer count, the next off the wall comment that has nothing to do with anything or the next kick of the can down the road because it's impossible for him to work on more than 1 thing towards the build at a time.
    So yep, I will carry on, keep reading this thread and wait for the next head shaking moment to happen. Why not? I have 3 months in on all of this. Might as well see how it ends. I predict, not well.

Always-Has-Been (resized).pngAlways-Has-Been (resized).png
    #7888 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Why ya gotta be a douche bag man?
    He said the monthly portion of his $29k is deposited on the 1st of the month. How can you interpret that as him claiming to make $350k+ a year? Seriously, whatcha smoking?!

Lol why are you so bad at reading?

#8048 1 year ago

Rough night at the shop drinking beer. The locals & a team member liked the progress. 2 dozen beer were consumed mostly by the team member & myself. Everyone wants a picture of the electric grill, & I got the blame for it falling apart. Did not even touch it, & it had its life so on to the dump. Must of been a sign since my big pack of hot dogs were going bad, so they got tossed under a car that parks next to the shop (not a customer). Too many seagulls would be chowing down, so maybe other birds get a mystery meat hot dog meal. Got myself a Mexican salad for my lunch, & its gone. Only used 1 free salad dressing, & 2 bags of free croutons.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This might be the biggest development yet. RIP electric grill

Time for a slow cooker now!

#8160 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

You guys might need to sit down before you hear me out.. what if he wraps the end of the wooden stick with a ball of paper towel and uses them to clean the grooves on the grill. I know, Mind blown! You can still beat on him for the windex as a cleaning agent tho. That's blasphemy and we won't stand for it.

Theres no grooves. Are you blind in addition to being illiterate?

#8163 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Surprised no one here is cleaning with Novus 2

novus 1 for non stick, novus 2 for cast iron. Novus 3 should only be used to clean your charcoal grill or smoker.

#8173 1 year ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

If you use motor oil, I recommend 0w20. The lighter oil helps lubricate the intestines. Also don’t use synthetic, could be toxic.

over-the-top-8.gifover-the-top-8.gif
    #8182 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Friends don't let Friends get man-buns. Aka the millennial mullet..aka the late fir practice soccer mom
    [quoted image]

Guess what kind of hair style I have

#8194 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I dont know what years you're born that qualifies to be a millennial or a gen-x. Im 46 and consider myself neither!

Nah. Have a great day. I better get outside

20221108_145616 (resized).jpg20221108_145616 (resized).jpg
    #8230 1 year ago

In Canada, the best value is a pound of butter. Only use it on vegetables I cook, so a good chunk gets used on the grill & only a little remains on the vegetables.

lol its the cooking and complete lack of any nutrition knowledge that is my favorite thing about this thread. That said, I have no issue with vegs being cooked in butter. Slightly healthier french fries lol. Carry on chef John.

#8243 1 year ago

To be fair, a crock pot is really only cost effective if you're making fairly big meals and have a way to store those leftovers. I'm not sure that John has a working fridge, or containers to store leftovers, and I imagine if he did have a fridge it would just be full of beer. Especially at the shop. Its just kinda sad that these so called "cheap" meals really aren't all that cheap compared to if you shopped normally and certainly of far lesser quality.

#8279 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Nothing like shopping Normally to appeal to the crowd

Once again your reading comprehension skills have failed you. Its comical at this point.

I will defend you saying "the new one looks like a girl" thing. Obviously you were just restating what literally ONE jerk said (and got dragged for, and I think the comment was rightfully deleted) and trying to pin it on us. You weren't saying that AviRoo actually looks like a girl, you were making fun of the person who said it originally. Still, its funny that you grasp at straws like that to make your marble brain arguments.

Literally I defended John not being able to shop normally, like making a point that per your previous seething rants, you'd actually agree with (IE- why john doesn't need a slow cooker) and yet somehow I'm a douchebag who suggests he just shops normally because you have such a poor understanding of what words mean. I'm embarrassed for you, because I don't think you have the cognitive ability to understand how much you embarrass yourself almost every time you reply here.

#8288 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I just said people should be nice to each other and suggested that everyone doesn't live by your guy's high moral standards. Definitely not friends with any mods as I've scratched my head many times at the decisions they make. Probably been modded more times than you Roost! I don't care how someone else chooses to shop or eat groceries and wouldn't consider my choices more righteous than theirs. No one cares how you think your life choices are better than other peoples choices. Just here to enjoy the process, not listen to a bunch of old dudes constantly ripping on someone trying to enjoy themselves and not harming anyone. It doesn't take super cognitive comprehensive skills to call out douchebags. Especially when they have to google what a douchebag is, karen! Smh
    * Pinhub (who is still in here commenting like people care about his opinion) has yet to apologize for comments made to John's friend.

wait..... do....do you think Vdojaq actually had to look up Douchebag? That douchebag has probably been called a douchebag by more douchebags than any of us! Trust me, I would know, I'm the head of the douchebag committee! The douchebag store called and they were running out of me!

I agree on pinbub btw what he said was completely uncalled for, but it was one of the very few unwarranted actual mean things anyone has said.

#8473 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

You are in the majority on this one.

One of the reasons we all keep tuning in! Gotta see how the plan continues to unfold! This beats the Curse of Oak Island for sure

#8528 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Your world only exists as to how much you are willing to explore it. Do some small and easy things 1st.
    Go to the library, sit down and read a book, see if you like it. Go see some live music, see if you like it. Hell, go play some BINGO, take John with you, see if the both of you like it. John would probably love that, it's cheap gambling.

This is what I try to tell to my brother. He has some disabilities and all he wants to do is sit around in his room all day. Avi, If you close yourself off from life, and people, and most of your outlook on life is not positive, you're only hurting yourself and bringing more of that bad energy your way. Having the outlet of working on arcades and having people mentor you is a great stepping stone, but you can't let that be everything. You have to take that positive experience and continue to build on it. You'll meet more people, maybe pick up some other skills and knowledge, even possibly stumble into something else you like! I highly recommend going to the pinball tournament. Even if you suck at pinball, you can have a good time, get out and about, and meet some new people. Little steps like that will go a long way in helping bring fulfillment and happiness in your life.

#8567 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I am sorry you are suffering this, I know a lot of people that battle with depression and it is a real struggle.
    I will leave you with one basic point of advice.
    Happiness is a choice and not a right or a default state of being.
    You have to constantly make the choice to be happy and seek out happiness - it's a decision you need to wake up every day and make

I don't want to keep beating a dead horse but I just want to say that these couple of sentences are so powerful and true. I was depressed for a long time, at one point I made the decision to change a lot of my outlooks on life and rather than focus on the negative, try and build on the good. My life has improved drastically ever since then and my mental health is at an all time high. At first it seems harder than it really is, but it truly is a godsend once you can refocus yourself! Best of luck to you, Avi, I think you're doing great so far.

#8601 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

Pressure cookers though are wicked.

Oh boy don't even get me started on pressure cookers. Yeah they rock! Also,most of them can do crock pot stuff too. Fast or slow. I'm now on team instant pot for John and Avi

#8648 1 year ago

I have a couple questions about the playfield.

Big right orbit shot looks fun, but I guess I don't quite see how the scoop there is fed. It can either complete the orbit or go into the scoop I'm assuming? Is there a diverter or does it just depend on how hard/smooth you knock the ball around the orbit? Also, where does that scoop exit?

Middle right spinner, that was supposed to be originally a figure 8 type shot but now it just does a mini orbit to feed a scoop? When the ball goes into that scoop, where does it exit? I think I remember John saying no subways.

Left spinner, theres going to be a target thats supposed to ricochet the ball down the left side of the orbit shot according to the original layout. It could be the angle of the picture but it looks now like maybe the ball will just maybe hit the target but not ricochet at the right angle making the ball kind of just dribble out into the side lane. Hopefully its just the angle of the picture. I am wondering if that triangle area up there will be another sling, that way maybe the ball can bounce around up there between that single sling and the left side of the pops.

Sorry if some of these have been covered I'm just trying to get an idea of how the shots are going to work

#8654 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I have a couple questions about the playfield.
    Big right orbit shot looks fun, but I guess I don't quite see how the scoop there is fed. It can either complete the orbit or go into the scoop I'm assuming? Is there a diverter or does it just depend on how hard/smooth you knock the ball around the orbit? Also, where does that scoop exit?
    Middle right spinner, that was supposed to be originally a figure 8 type shot but now it just does a mini orbit to feed a scoop? When the ball goes into that scoop, where does it exit? I think I remember John saying no subways.
    Left spinner, theres going to be a target thats supposed to ricochet the ball down the left side of the orbit shot according to the original layout. It could be the angle of the picture but it looks now like maybe the ball will just maybe hit the target but not ricochet at the right angle making the ball kind of just dribble out into the side lane. Hopefully its just the angle of the picture. I am wondering if that triangle area up there will be another sling, that way maybe the ball can bounce around up there between that single sling and the left side of the pops.
    Sorry if some of these have been covered I'm just trying to get an idea of how the shots are going to work

Quoted from TreyBo69:

I wanted to start learning VPX and knew the perfect game to practice mocking up. This took maybe a hour of me not knowing what I was doing
    [quoted image]

Additionally I am curious if the change from the layout of the slings on Norris' original design to the more standard design on GWJ's design have greatly affected inlane feeds. Especially with the addition of the pop bumper behind the upper flipper. I wonder if there will be a lot of feeds back to the shooter lane with the pop bumper too. Would be interesting to see if you got some mock ups going on VPX

#8774 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

But he's blessed and wants to send a jacket to canada.. that's gotta be payment for at least 3 weeks of verbal abuse!

I'm sorry you're so unhappy with your life

#8806 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Huh… Went kinda crazy with them smart drops.. you can see where some $$ went though - they are like $70ish? apiece last time I bought some?
    The up the middle one may be near impossible to hit? What happens when you drop it, it leads to a wall, no?? And the far left one seems to be into the orbit area? Maybe I’m just confused though, if that area is no longer an orbit because of the top left scoop?
    Getting interesting, gonna be some work to transfer this to a cad design with all the changes. Are inserts all designed in johns cad file as well? Have you purchased all your wire already?

I'm still trying to figure this out too. If the drop is in the big orbit, it just trickles back out the way it came in after hitting the drop? Still don't understand how the top scoop works, like if theres a diverter or what. Both scoops are kind of a mystery to me tbh. The figure 8 one just dribbles out from the spinner? The top one dribbles out the left side of the orbit? Middle is a drop and then will it feed into the upper orbit somehow or it just dribbles out STDM (lots of dribbling) and yeah, what is behind it that warrants a drop? I'm trying hard not to make assumptions but it really has me confused. I'm sure its all part of the plan but I am anxious to find out.

#8901 1 year ago

There is a lot of beer thought going on with my shot theory,

Lol I love the term "beer thought" I've had a lot of beer thoughts myself come to think of it. Some were great, some...not so much haha! Thats the beauty of beer thought though! Beer thought is like a box of chocolates...

1 week later
    #9193 1 year ago

Sobeys is not a discount chain!

I see "managers specials" all the time at the stores around me. When items are getting close to the expiration dates they discount them. I don't live in a very poor area either, its just normal at stores for as long as I've known

Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Sobeys is part of a conglomerate and own most of the competition stores in Canada. They are all one big company. It is crazy how much food gets wasted and ends up in the landfills.

It really is crazy.

Yikes...over 18 bucks for a rack of really crappy ribs? Screw slow cookers, instant pots, electric griddles... what GWJ REALLY needs at the shop is a smoker! Ammirite fellas?

#9231 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

FlipperTech guy is contracted out to do the cabinet right? How is that coming along? The hardware for that alone ends up being several hundred dollars and can be out of stock at times. That happened to me with a playfield hinge.

Don't worry about that. Potential part shortages, injuries, power outages, and space issues, all part of the plan

#9237 1 year ago

Why did you take (and post) a pic of Avi when he didn't want you to?
    You watch classic VHS porn while eating lunch and dinner?

I don't want to know, but I'm also morbidly curious, is the VHS big hairy beaver porn just for entertainment purposes or is for entertaaaaaainment purposes? Please tell me you're not beating it to vhs porn in your corner workshop lol

#9243 1 year ago

Wow thats a lot of cp-100. I've still never tried that stuff

#9295 1 year ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

It was so much better in the 80’s when porn wasn’t so accessible.
    adult classics on VHS were a real treat back in the day. WestCoast video had a adult area in the rental store nearby. But you had to take the box off the shelf and take it to the counter to rent the tape. To not look like a total perv. You had to also rent another tape or two. Apocalypse Now, Stripes and….Naughty nurses! Ah the good old days. Now there is an endless well of material that as you say is only a few keystrokes away.

Back in my day you had to somehow wander into a stash of porn out in the woods (surely I can't be the only one who has experienced woods porn) now I google big boob get 10 million result

Bros, I am laughing way too hard at this thread right now for it to be this early in the morning

#9299 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

Or as some may call it 'Surf n' Turf'

Come on man just put some Mayo on the Gray-o (ham)

#9306 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I may be missing something but how did porn get into bushes and a creek?

Look, creek porn, woods porn, field porn, its all the same. Lets just call it outdoor porn caches. A real phenomenon for kids before the internet! It was like hitting the jackpot!

#9506 1 year ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

John - do you know what gluten is? Based on your comment about butter and what you bought for snacks for Avi - I think not?

Maybe he means Lactose intolerant? Still should be able to have some butter though. Or...maybe Avi just came up with the gluten excuse as a polite way to turn down John's cooking lol

#9616 1 year ago

Mmmm yam medallions!

#9752 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Spot on. We saw this with the pf debacle.

We've seen it over and over with pretty much every GWJ endeavor. Of course, those were successes in his mind, unlike the gofundme which was a debacle. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride with this one my friend.

#9779 1 year ago

The jackets look nice, the sweet and sour pork actually looks kinda tasty and I love hearing about Avi spreading his wings, getting the pins ready for tourney and being more involved in the scene. Excellent!

#9864 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

Someone else will have to pay for it. I got like. 100 bucks left. Spent like 500 on my arcade machine. gave 250 to my parents for bills. then the money from bus tickets or pinball tournaments. fuck me does it add up. Passports only take 2 weeks to receive based on government website so it's within the realm of possibility. but then you gotta worry about airfare. and the hotels and nonsense. I am merely but a poor boy among the pinball community.

As others have said, coach should be happy to step up and cover these costs. After all, Avi is now officially part of the crew.

#9875 1 year ago

Mr BMW still running from the pictures. Got a mini bun hair style going on, & cleaned up. Since Avi is not here he is chowing down on my donuts, & looking at the fridge.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

He needs to put some air in his tire

#9939 1 year ago

Avi does not want to do any contacts today, gone on strike for lack of pay!

I hope so, know your worth Avi!

#10062 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I was speaking specifically the misery of trying to finish a whitewood. It's not easy!

Poor Dee-bow has trouble with social cues, once I understood that I started being a lot less hard on him

Quoted from Beechwood:

Most of us have the money and ambition to do it ourselves.
    Oh, and use realistic timelines...

I know many of us here do, but I can tell you I don't. But also, if somebody tried to pay me to do all this stuff, I would kindly tell them that they're wasting their money instead of assuring everyone I could accomplish the goal

#10409 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Here is the problem I see, we would all have to agree and dictate as to what a working whitewood is. Because I know for certain my definition of a working whitewood would be vastly different from GWJ's definition.

Its gotta be simply flippers that can knock the ball around in john's mind

#10411 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

No thanks. I want to see a fully wired and working playfield

I do too because i still don't understand how most of the shots are going to work on the GWJ version and I want to see it in action!

#10455 1 year ago

Yes Avi, please make a thread dedicated to your own build. You can still post on here too of course

#10503 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

You know something. As i was spending time with my family tonight and having a good time when i got something of a unsavoury message from an undisclosed person in regards to building it. So you know what i'm going to do? I'm definitely going to build it now. Do i want to dedicate half a year to it? no. But i also don't think it's going to take half a year with the kindness everyone has shown me here. Especially because i'd at least like to think i'm friends with alot of people here who are professionals in that regard.

Spite is always one of the best reasons to do something

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider haymaker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching?tu=haymaker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.