Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1158 Summary of downsides Posted by pookycade (1 year ago)

Post #5133 Programmer Posted by Mr68 (1 year ago)

Post #5520 2nd installment of $1k USD Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #5946 Week 3 summary Posted by Beechwood (1 year ago)

Post #6424 Thread summary for week 5 Posted by Beechwood (1 year ago)

Post #7332 How to reset your password Posted by Jvspin (1 year ago)

Post #8068 Another $1k USD provided ($5k now?) Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #9810 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #10008 Another installment of $1k USD ($6k total now?) Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

624 posts in this topic match your search for posts by treybo69. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #407 1 year ago

I didn’t read this mess of a thread, but it’s great some people are really coming around on just how much work and expense a full pin is to design. Most people only look at a layout these days and hand waive most of the work or the couple dozen people who worked on it in varying capacities.

It’s a fucking miracle anyone bothers to make pinball machines anymore. So much effort and risk for little financial reward.

The hobby has come a long way, though there are still plenty of newbies joining and rich dummies who can’t grasp the scope of work in a pin. At least there’s enough people to shout them back down (for now)

3 weeks later
    #2437 1 year ago

Sometimes I think I'm missing out on an epic thread, then I see it has 50 pages to catch up on and I'm like...nah I'm good

#2440 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

This will get you caught up.
    [quoted image]

So things are going better than I thought they would

#2445 1 year ago

How do I donate a Michaels Gift Card to John so he can foam core up a design? Follow up question: how safe are the foam cutting tools for people who are six beers deep?

I just gotta know what the grand blurred vision is

#2457 1 year ago

I don't get what Sandwich John brings to the table for Mustache Jon. It's clearly not project management skills

Jon made a basic shooting whitewood and cribbed together some basic engineering documents (something John should have done months ago). So what exactly is there for John to do? I think he's some sort of printer... Shouldn't he be trying to get an artist so he has something to print? Do you even have access to printing equipment or are you just going to have to subcontract it out?

#2539 1 year ago

Programing can mean a lot of things. You can program a basic early SS-like game within a month thanks to MPF. It's just few would want a game so basic these days...

I kinda wonder if Jon Norris would be better off showing more of his work as a homebrewer and taking examples to shows. Maybe he can get people into one of his designs that way, sorta like TNA was willed into production from positive show reception.

#2576 1 year ago

I'll happily donate some pinball parts from my homebrew box of parts to John. A ball trough and some old flipper mechs should get him going... I could toss in some random ramp parts if he goes Franken Stern Pro model

Quoted from Tranquilize:

I already suggested a space theme and was down voted.
    Trailer Trash may sound fine alongside trailer park boys, but no one is going to want it when they see the final product on its own. One positive is that the chances of a final product coming to completion is close to zero.

What if it was Trailer Park Aliens from Outer Space? Then you can do all the bad taste jokes, stereotypes, etc... but it's ok because the little people are purple, have tentacles, and the confederate flag hats are references to a fictional planetary confederacy that lost the intergalactic civil war over robot rights.

It's all a bunch of nonsense that won't happen. So we might as well really lean into the bad idea

#2579 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Make it, Ben Heck's Trailer Park Aliens from Outer Space. (In 3-D Purple)

benheck how long does it take for my licensing people to get with your people. Two weeks should be sufficient, no?

#2582 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

I'm gonna go with... CEASE AND DESIST!

Damn. I hadn’t considered that possibility during my seconds of planning. Oh well. It won’t affect my schedule in the slightest

#2616 1 year ago

If Jon gave John a layout to cut, and Jon can program a bit on MPF, and someone is already doing art, then I find the prospect of John putting together 2-3 games by March for $10-20k entirely doable (not counting fees to Jon and co). It's mostly just screwing, soldering, and a whole lot of crimping once the parts and playfield are in. Shouldn't take more than two weeks a game. The physical labor of putting together two or three pins is trivial compared to the rest of the design work.

Best of luck. Still don't get why you aren't working on a white wood now instead of waiting till September 1 though... No time like the present, especially if you think you'll need to iterate on the design. (Which would work how? John makes a physical change on a game and somehow Jon Norris draws it in CAD in Vegas? Eh...details to figure out later)

#2638 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Building harnesses from scratch is a bitch

I don't think a modern harness is nearly as difficult as they used to be, especially if using a modular system like P3 or Fast with boards mounted to the bottom. No need to use matrices anymore (unless you wanna) which really simplifies wiring. I think Fast has some limitations on auto fire coils and switches needing to be on the same board, but I'm not positive. I use P3 stuff. John will get a crash course in dealing with EMI and the dangers of floating ground soon though.

#2643 1 year ago

bring back alphanumeric games you cowards

#2651 1 year ago

LCDs and alphanumeric displays aren’t going to make a huge BOM difference. The difference is in generating assets for the display and making it look halfway decent. That needs to be spread out over a large run.

Focus on gameplay. Use a basic display

#2657 1 year ago

An alphanumeric display can be upgraded to a LCD experience later

People love classic single level layouts. John has made playfields proving that demand.

I look forward to seeing Jon’s ideas

The rules, lights, and audio all need a lot of attention. That’s what separates a TNA from The Mafia

#2687 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Asked Jon Norris if he would like to put up the basic playfield layout, or have me do it. Please remember he is working & it might be days before it goes up. Customer #1, & myself are happy with the design. Looks like a lot can be done for shots, & basic rules. This pinball machine is more old school, & will not be a rules deep type of game. There is more in play for this type of game, but that is up to Jon Norris to explain or not.
    Another local expert is in the communication cable field, & the other retired expert worked for Bell & Cable provider. More info to follow when the playfield design is revealed. That is when I figure out the lenses, & what I need.

While considering lenses, have you considered which, if any, lights will be RGB? I think RGB lightning provides a lot of bang for the buck and making a game feel more loaded than it is. Again, look at games like The Mafia and Whoa Nellie vs TNA.

Here's an old layout, with some upgrades, and a quick intense light show I wrote for funsies (mushrooms were involved)

ezgif-5-9193c11d20.gifezgif-5-9193c11d20.gif

I don't know what sort of rules or modes have been discussed. But maybe the trailer park floods and the lights slowly turn blue as it creeps towards the flippers, or there is a meth lab fire and they're all yellow and orange lights spreading across the playfield, or alternating red and blue light general illumination for a police raid, etc...

There are so many ways to integrate a theme beyond a LCD screen.

#2689 1 year ago

If trailer parks are the theme that gets John excited enough to get to work, then it's a good enough theme.

They can slap a new theme on it later if he does somehow turn out a great shooting pin.

#2692 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Trailer parks are fine Just the Word Trash in particular

Ben Heck's Intoxicated Trailer Park Escapades sounds like a winner to me

#2695 1 year ago

Yeah I have things I could be drawing in CAD, or I can suggest dumb ideas like decorating the pops to look like old tractor tires and oil barrels. I do think the game needs a junky car as a bash toy to beat on. Some cheap metal car toy with an an opto in front of it. Maybe an old broken satellite dish in the corner as decoration (if ambitious, copy the Goldeneye satellite dish mech)

#2702 1 year ago

Simple can be great when executed well.

It's kinda interesting watching the Funhouse 2.0 kits and the number of people who said they have started to stick to the original ruleset over the new one.

As far as coding rules, modes, etc... I think John & co should focus on a vertical slice. The point is to show a bare minimum completion in all areas, demonstrating the core gameplay and concepts, and what the overall vibe will be like. It doesn't really matter if only one mode gets partially programmed with one set of audio callouts in a set order. It's a game that's going to be at a convention that people would play once or twice for a minute, and that's it.

Speaking of which, I look forward to the original writing for these callouts and modes. Maybe you can crowdsource some of it from the community.

#2710 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

If someone drains this topic, does that mean the "flushed the Johns"?

speaking of which, the game really needs a non functional toilet somewhere

can John reuse your old idea of a self crushing beer can?

I'm hearing something about drop targets and stand up targets. Maybe they can have stickers of old beer cans and liquor bottles to make it look like a makeshift gun range. Give them a really satisfying "tink" noise when you shoot a drop down. The sound a beer being cracked open when they reset

#2712 1 year ago

After saying some of my ideas, Big Buck Hunter probably has some ideas worth stealing and iterating on. Need a UFO to abduct a local

#2714 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

mabey an upper level where you have to pound though overgrown grass and weeds to bash a derelict lawnmower?

What if it was something like the Centaur captive ball in-line drops? Hit the ball, hit down a drop with a sticker of tall grass, get to the end. It could be the "secret stash" buried out back. Award a mystery award and bring the drops back up. Maybe make it a scoop instead of a stand up at the end so the game can hold the ball for some fanfare.

#2716 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

a mechanical weed that grows as points and objectives are completed

Scoleri like drop targets from Ghostbusters. Little weed plants pop up, and you gotta harvest them before cops find them

#2720 1 year ago

>He wants people to know that he will not be doing any programing of this game, & I might have to find another source for a 5 bank drop target assembly.

Thankfully for a prototype you could get away with reusing some old 5 banks off eBay. A couple are up there right now

Finding a programmer though is going to be harder. It doesn't take a lot of know how to get the game to flip and for basic mechanisms to function. But you'll need someone who can devote a lot of time to writing the software. The software is what brings a box of blinking lights to life. They'd also ideally be local to you, or you need to get them a copy of the game.

Best of luck

#2725 1 year ago

The software really can't be understated. Look at a game like Cosmic Carnival. Great art, has ramps, LCD screen, hand painted sculpts, an okish fan layout. But the software was barely existent, so there was barely a game to play, so no one wanted it. Checked a lot of the other boxes though...

Whereas TNA was loved without art, complex animations, or particularly deep rules...because of the lights, sounds, and refined gameplay

#2731 1 year ago

I like the alliteration of Trailer Trash. Redneck Riveria is ok. It's too offensive to use, but Cracker Country Club is amusing to myself

Does John have a fake name for his trailer park yet? Not the name of the game, but the name of the park within the game.

#2734 1 year ago

Also is there any sort of storyline?

As the player am I trying to save the park? Maybe trying to stop Mr Big Business from closing the park to put up some expensive condos for yuppies?

Am I trying to escape from the park? Maybe making money through crime and drugs, avoiding the police, trying to save up enough to get out of the park?

Am I just experiencing trailer park life? So dealing with random floods/fire/toxic waste spills, playing modes of redneck activities like racing ATVs and shooting guns, etc...

#2741 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

The theme is basically Pabst Crusher meets Whoa Nellie meets Junkyard?

with some Big Buck Hunter mixed in

Quoted from homebrood:

With it being an early stern type game most likely with numeric score displays would be hard to make any type of story line...
    Still could be a great game though as many of the games from that era are!

You can make a good storyline without a lot. High Speed does a lot with very little

#2746 1 year ago

Why care? His goal is slightly less impossible this way

#2751 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

I’m excited to see the Norris layout. They tend to have classic appeal.

When I heard 7 bank of drops my first thought was Jon Norris is doing another take on EBD like he did with Bad Girls, Sharkey’s Shootout, and Merlin’s Arcade. Not that I’m complaining, it’s an amazing layout to iterate on.

#2761 1 year ago

To be clear I think this thing makes no business sense. But I don’t think John cares that much and had already decided he’s going to do it his way. So might as well help him make it the best bad idea it can be. Besides I like chatting about game design and suggesting silly things.

You shouldn’t punch down in comedy. I don’t think John is punching down…

It should be a celebration of a life style that some people do enjoy. Plenty of people who admit to being rednecks without shame.

#2762 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Cabinet should be made with dented aluminum siding.

Vinyl siding on one side. Exposed on the other side while you save up for the double wide to be dropped off.

#2768 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It takes a pretty deft touch and some subtlety to pull that off.
    I know Canada is famous for its comedians but do we really expect that kind of level of pro humor from this bunch?

Partly why I suggest he crowd source suggestions for callouts

“God don’t make no trash, just sour mash”

“The south shall tilt again”

“Don’t retreat, reload” (kickback callout)

#2779 1 year ago

I wrote some suggestions

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png
    #2787 1 year ago

Agreed on the pops. Not much room for action in that configuration. 4 seems very expensive for not a lot of action.

I like the figure 8 looking shape on the right. I wonder if you could get the top loop big enough to put a pop in the middle to reject weak shots while strong shots go around it.

The left orbit return lane feels like a bit of a waste of space. Maybe behind the drop targets there can be a gap to shoot when drops are down. With a ball guide maybe it could go up and over and exit out the right orbit.

Should the top orbit have an opening to drain into the pops like Seawitch/Beatles? There is a roll over up there. Is the stand up necessary if the roll over can be used to detect a shot through the pop cluster?

#2791 1 year ago

If we kill that flipper and a pop we can have the standups. I have a strong vision of making it look like beer cans on a fence line for target practice, but a little old lady's laundry line is behind the targets. And you don't want to shoot behind it or shell call the police on you. But when the police are on the way? Shoot em up and then run away via spinner shots!

Speaking of which, my humble proposal for one of the spinners

mudflap.gifmudflap.gif
    #2793 1 year ago

What if an Alex Jones type was the guiding voice/narrator for the player? Sorta like a JK Simmons playing J. Jonah Jameson

#2795 1 year ago

If it has an old Gottlieb feel then opposite inlanes to spinners for bonkers points

#2799 1 year ago

Make all the wireforms look like stolen cable tv hookups and I'm sold

#2826 1 year ago

What if the giant newton ball on the playfield was a beer can. And the beer can worked like the bridge magnet in Godzilla.

You could hit the can to knock one back, ie the small captive ball hits the target. 6 pack, 12 pack, case, keg multi balls for successive hits.

As the ball comes down the spinner on the right, it could whip the ball like Godzilla. Like you've been drinking and you're dizzy after doing the figure center spinner loop shot. (in my mind that area looks like an off road dirt track)

#2829 1 year ago

Not too bad. Put a beer can sticker on it and call it a day.

Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 12.11.37 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-13 at 12.11.37 PM (resized).png
    #2834 1 year ago

One man's piss is another man's beer. Wait...

#2850 1 year ago

If you did keep 4 pops, maybe it could look like a backyard wrestling ring. Or maybe slings instead of pops. Optional limited edition real bell add on for future whales

#2862 1 year ago

How about two shoot again insert lights between the flippers with artwork of an old man staring the player down a double barrel shotgun. In the background, his scantily clad daughter climbing out the back of a trailer. Maybe he’s also the trailer park supervisor/antagonist of the game.

#2865 1 year ago

It’s easy to write what you know

Maybe the return lane on the left can be decorated to look like a polluted drainage ditch, or it’s the highway right behind the park, or it’s abandoned rail road tracks.

#2868 1 year ago

The best part will be when a charity says “you sold what now to make this donation? And there are photos online of our charity name and this…thing?”

#2871 1 year ago

The game over sound could be the sound of a screen door slamming shut and a “come back now ya hear” callout

Maybe a sling looks like a bug zapper and makes a zap noise and fires a small flasher

Sometimes during attract it should play a riff from dueling banjos from Deliverance

#2875 1 year ago

Just because a theme makes little business sense doesn’t mean it isn’t rich with creativity opportunity

It’d be great if you had to pull a lawn mower crank to plunge the ball (or at least start the game)

I have an idea for a mode where you kill the flippers and most of the lights. You take a few skill shots at the drop targets. And it plays firework noises because you’re shooting bottle rockets out of your hands. Don’t go to slow or you lose your hand and the mode is over.

#2877 1 year ago

I still like my name of Cracker Country Club

It looks like the game is set up for the right orbit shot to be repeatable. Start playing nascar passing noises as a combo begins.

#2883 1 year ago

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/2251832336840252.html

Cheap toy camper made of metal. Cut it up and you got a bash toy.

3280EAC8-C9DF-41DF-878A-A2CD64B8E9D3 (resized).jpeg3280EAC8-C9DF-41DF-878A-A2CD64B8E9D3 (resized).jpeg

#2886 1 year ago

“If the trailer is rockin, don’t start tiltin”

#2890 1 year ago

Toxic waste spill mode: shots light green, go collect the waste by hitting green shots, then shoot the right orbit to dump it into the drainage ditch behind the park. Repeat till clean

Meth lab explosion. Areas of the playfield slowly turn yellow, orange, red and spreads to surrounding areas. Shoot the orbit to go to the ditch for a bucket of water, shots light blue, make a shot and the area is extinguished. Repeat till fire is out

Tornado Storm. Alternate between hiding in the storm shelter in the left return area and collecting laundry from the clothes line for the little old lady. Get back inside before the winds pick back up. (call back to a previous idea I had for the drops and standups. While shooting her clothes off the line and she screams about her knickers and bed sheets, one callout could be a chainsaw rev as a reference to that scene in the laundry lines)

Police Raid. Hit spinners to run from police. Get some space and then hit the secret stash collect standup in the pops to destroy evidence/hide stuff/whatever.

Park Flood. Shoot a shot then the bash truck to drop off an animal to save for the flood. Do twice for all shots before playfield floods with blue lights

#2898 1 year ago

Yeah I’m a white dude from the south. It’s both a heritage thing and a pejorative. Redneck is a pejorative too. What’s the issue?

It’s not marketable for a dozen reasons besides the name

#2903 1 year ago
    #2905 1 year ago

License Big Mutha Truckers

0C34CF57-D038-4C7E-9EEF-32F16F7FB9ED (resized).jpeg0C34CF57-D038-4C7E-9EEF-32F16F7FB9ED (resized).jpeg

0D7113B5-18E3-4B71-9B21-C97C1D31DA58 (resized).jpeg0D7113B5-18E3-4B71-9B21-C97C1D31DA58 (resized).jpegE37310B8-D685-47AA-B1CC-D04BC2B65819 (resized).jpegE37310B8-D685-47AA-B1CC-D04BC2B65819 (resized).jpeg

A03087B2-E7C8-43F7-BB19-E4A5F0EBADE6 (resized).jpegA03087B2-E7C8-43F7-BB19-E4A5F0EBADE6 (resized).jpegD3DF1A60-29F9-4F6F-8015-816709098BA3 (resized).jpegD3DF1A60-29F9-4F6F-8015-816709098BA3 (resized).jpeg7A6F6501-9363-4E4D-9892-28C11F482BF0 (resized).png7A6F6501-9363-4E4D-9892-28C11F482BF0 (resized).png

#2909 1 year ago

If you wanna do some redneck jokes in a marketable way, license King of the Hill. Or make something ludicrous because YOLO.

#2936 1 year ago

Blackout multiball. All lights out after too many beers and it forgets your scoring in the mode when it’s over (shows up in bonus tho)

#2941 1 year ago

No snitches in this trailer park. We just ignore our problems round these parts.

#2948 1 year ago

Should there be a mean drunk character in the game, or should it just be an angry drunk trailer park supervisor as the antagonist. Don’t wanna get too close to ripping off TPB.

But if we did feel like ripping off TPB, we need to be rescuing kittens. Just have random kitty inserts temporarily light for collects. Get 9 for an extra ball

#2979 1 year ago

This loser spent the day day drinking with his wife at the beach instead of worrying about dumb shit like Ice, and more important things like trailer parks. Maybe if I respected Ice I would care. Kinda sad.

578E6DF4-E362-425E-AE74-41ADAD379383 (resized).jpeg578E6DF4-E362-425E-AE74-41ADAD379383 (resized).jpeg7E87FC8A-13AC-4AED-A97D-7DF8A873212D (resized).jpeg7E87FC8A-13AC-4AED-A97D-7DF8A873212D (resized).jpegDA1D5CAD-35B9-4372-A783-9E4DCD821EA4 (resized).jpegDA1D5CAD-35B9-4372-A783-9E4DCD821EA4 (resized).jpeg
    #2982 1 year ago

If there was a pinside pinball, I nominate Levi as narrator to the player

#2983 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballguru:

I changed to five drops with four standups at John's request for MONEY and CASH feature utilizing a drop target bank.

I was thinking of this. I know John is driving the bus on the project. But it seems really silly to make the drops say MONEY and the standups to say CASH. They’re the same thing…

It would make more sense if the drops said VAULT (or similar). Hit the drops down to break open the vault, then CASH stand ups light up to get as much cash as you can before the “vault” resets itself. (Or label the drops SMASH and the standups GRAB)

Or does John want to elaborate on his MONEY and CASH feature?

#2985 1 year ago

Art is the last part of the project. I’d want to hear John’s ideas for rules and features. That should guide the artwork.

#2988 1 year ago

It kinda makes me think of the stories I heard of Gottlieb in the early 90s. Everything being worked on at the same time, siloed off, and smashed together at the end of six months with little iteration. Course they had a factory line to keep busy.

Deadlines are good for keeping a project moving along.

But I’m guessing this will lean more grade school group project where a few people do their end very well, a few just turn something in, some do basically nothing, and everyone gets a generous pity C-

#2990 1 year ago

Speaking of getting the cash money. If there was a Wu Tang table, knock down CREAM drops to light dolla dolla bill standups around the playfield.

#2995 1 year ago

Would John consider doing open source coding so the community could help? I can certainly get the ball rolling writing some generic MPF configs and maybe a dumb mode…

I know John has literally no idea what I just said. But throwing it out there.

#3000 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So does this mean the “Ice buying friends” happy hour is canceled?

The happy hour was only going to be 15 minutes. Then 45 minutes of belligerence

#3007 1 year ago

It’d be the top shelf Kool Aide and rat poison. Gotta show off on the way out.

#3008 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

OMG, now that would be a LICENSE!!! I can picture a South Park rethemes with these guys

How much could a license for that be? There is synergy of coin op gaming and coin op cheap plastic crap.

#3016 1 year ago

If Trailer Park is out how about Alabama Man

#3018 1 year ago

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/3256802372680612.html?gatewayAdapt=Pc2Msite4itemAdapt

Paint a small broken water tower to fill out the back corner of the game. Train model stores have lots of stuff like this

E8D144E8-3991-49A1-989C-A578F98CA9A5 (resized).jpegE8D144E8-3991-49A1-989C-A578F98CA9A5 (resized).jpeg
    #3021 1 year ago

If the theme is still an open concern, take the chance to make a "history's first" pin.
    Trailer Trap: first rap pin without abandoning your original basic concept.
    Or you could go a totally different route and make the first-ever multi-denominational religious pin.

Combine it all: trailer parks, bad rapping, convoluted mythology and belief system

8B929160-C8C4-4837-A2A3-FE893CFFE965 (resized).jpeg8B929160-C8C4-4837-A2A3-FE893CFFE965 (resized).jpeg

#3026 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Def need magnets in this one

But how do they work?

#3027 1 year ago

We get JPop involved and we can do the Dark Carnival. Everyone wins! (Except Ice’s wallet)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Carnival_(Insane_Clown_Posse)

That bullshit is ripe for…something

E507FD31-2CEC-4C91-B2BE-2AC98C2064F0 (resized).jpegE507FD31-2CEC-4C91-B2BE-2AC98C2064F0 (resized).jpeg
    #3031 1 year ago

Should the game have a spinning disc in the center to turn on as a tornado? You know like the hit classic, Stern NBA

#3042 1 year ago

Based on some of the conversation

I opened up the pop area some. Maybe add some more star roll overs. Added exit into figure 8 area. Added entrance up top for weak orbit shots or via upost to stop orbit shots. Opening up top also lets it come back via the left another way.

I added a spinning disc. I had the idea about a magnetic beer can like Godzilla. Different way to get a similar effect. Perfect for a possible tornado mode

Removed 3rd flipper (although maybe keep it if there is a magnet above it, again like Godzilla)

d7e1ee5fa269f20af5ebb2b6e7577eca2e416140 (resized).pngd7e1ee5fa269f20af5ebb2b6e7577eca2e416140 (resized).png
    #3060 1 year ago

It ain’t true Trailer Trash if the art isn’t an hodgepodge of haphazardly placed disparate elements found along the side of the information super highway. True to its origins.

#3080 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Gee John, just what era does a pro model represent? 2010 to present is pretty much the industry standard of a Stern Pro model pinball machine. Oh that's right, in your mind the definition of a pro model pinball machine is different than the rest of the world.

I don't see the point of hammering on this dead horse.

He's not going to say "you were right and I was wrong" or anything like that. Why belabor it or stay mad? He isn't suddenly about to become rational or logical.

Join the fun of John's misadventures! He isn't hurting anyone but Ice's checkbook, and Ice will be the first to tell you (at length) that he can afford it.

#3085 1 year ago

Can the coin door be modified to accept beer bottle caps?

A slot for quarters, bottle caps, and then Susan B Anthony coins. Set for anything that may come your way in 1980

#3090 1 year ago

Good idea instead of a bill acceptor. Bottle opener for beer bottles. Keep the ideas flowing. I plan on having custom beverage holders. Maybe your choice of smokes ash tray or holder for e cigs.

Definitely need one of the old cigarette holders from the wood rail era.

It'd be funny if the drink holder could detect a drink being put in and out of it. Then associate some callouts to it

It detects a drink being placed and yells "NOW WATCH THIS" (as in "hold my beer, and watch this").

It notices you drain and pick up a drink, "DON'T DRAIN THAT DRINK TOO"

It notices you drink while you play "I LIKE YOUR STYLE: DRUNK"

You get a tilt warning while a drink is in the holder "CAREFUL, PRECIOUS CARGO"

#3093 1 year ago
    Quoted from roffels:

No purple? Not even the glow of a bugzapper?

I 100% think one of the slings should look like a bug zapper and there should be a flasher next to it for when it goes off.

Maybe the other sling can look like a dinner triangle?

#3094 1 year ago

Spitton bucket for the other sling with spit noises? Or too gross lol

Game needs a dip cup somewhere

#3113 1 year ago
    Quoted from trecemaneras:

Not gross enough! There should be 2 cans of natty light or similar, one you’re drinking from, and one you’re spitting in. And you keep get them mixed up which is which.

You could have some targets that add into a “beer cup” or a “dip cup” jackpots (maybe dip cup pops and beer spinner). Once both have reached a minimum it could start a mode. Hit the yellow beer cups to score beer cup jackpots. The mode ends when you drain or when you shoot a red dip cup, then you get your dip cup jackpot plus all beer cups jackpots.

Maybe you “throw up” green shots onto the playfied after drinking the dip cup.

#3117 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

As much as I respect the creativity you are projecting towards this projects theme, you may be trying to hard at this point. It's going to be very basic.

I know it’s going to make a Gottlieb System 1 look like a Tesla

But I got free time to kill and those ideas pour out of my mind faster than John pours himself beers

#3122 1 year ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Are you sure about that?[quoted image]

I’m as trashy as John is drunk. Well drunk by 2pm standards.

One of the pops needs to look like an above ground pool that has turned into a mosquito infested primordial soup

#3124 1 year ago

Every idea I’ve written in this thread is free to use, patent, trademark, monetize, etc.

I want the best for Ice’s investment.

Plus it’s for charity I think? Doesn’t matter

#3151 1 year ago

It looks like Jon drew his sketch in some sort of vector illustration program. Depending on which one, it's not too bad to get it into a more proper CAD format to then get ready for a CNC router.

Or if it's a one off, Jon can probably swing routing it by hand. Getting the art to align would be a nightmare. Extra thick keylines I suppose...

#3158 1 year ago

Seems like he is actually good to go as-is. I feel like half the battle with John is understanding what he writes, which is mildly troubling when the primary contractor should be the most communicative and organized.

I still want to hear what the CASH and MONEY feature idea is. How is it supposed to work? Or is it simply the drops say MONEY and the standups say CASH?

#3187 1 year ago

I think Ice has demonstrated he is a firm believer in the sunk cost fallacy. I don't doubt him paying John.

#3200 1 year ago

I've felt pretty owned the last few days. Sitting around, making up a bunch of dumb ideas for Ice's pin...FOR FREE. All my work that I won't get to benefit from... So much ownage

nowaitstop (resized).jpgnowaitstop (resized).jpg
    #3202 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Many of us think it will be $10k on top the $10k pledge. Would I rather buy GZ prem + DP prem and have them sitting in my dining room now. Or pay GWJ $20k to build me gouls know what? Imagine the body of two mini-whales and the brains from the Big Whale. Put a white cap on Ice that says Moby dick and hand him a fishing rod and tackle box to carry around.

I know Kaneda has thrown out the idea of manufacturers making an extremely limited number of games for the ultra wealthy customers. Seems like Ice agrees with it being a good idea

Course Kaneda isn't especially familiar with how a pin is made, let alone how many resources it takes to make it fun. But Ice should know better by this point...
    TooManyTimes (resized).PNGTooManyTimes (resized).PNG

#3211 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

"This game is going to be awesome, combining both my rapier boomer wit and the fact that I, being male, love ladies so expect a lot of T & A and I don't mean that whitewood Scott Danesi took to shows! At TPF we will auction off this vile, disgusting game for charity because if there's one thing rich people love it's Trailer Park culture!"

Out of spite, Ice will donate so much to charity that we may end up solving cancer. How does that make you feel? Owned?

#3212 1 year ago
    Quoted from jp1985:

There is no way a game can be programmed in a day or two even using an existing code base and having zero testing/debugging.

You can program a game in a day or two. It'll just kinda suck...

But with MPF, you can certainly bang out a game to rival most EMs without much work

#3245 1 year ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I really get the impression John doesn’t think the programming matters, given he doesn’t think it needs to start before the white wood.
    I would say, short of polish, software takes the longest. They should start as soon as possible.
    But hey, what do I know? I only programmed my own custom game.

I don’t think that’s unique to John. I think most of the hobby primarily only pays attention to the layout and artwork. At least at first.

Hell ask most people what would be in their dream theme and they can barely articulate a coherent vision of what the game would be.

Software really is the most important thing, but it doesn’t photograph well and isn’t the sexy part of homebrewing.

When I got into homebrewing I choose to do a retheme because I figured what’s the point of making something entirely custom if I have no idea how to make it do the things I want it to. So I’ve mostly focused on learning MPF before going all custom. (And I don’t post much about it because who really gives a shit besides me)

#3250 1 year ago

I’m rooting for John to do his best

I wasn’t paying attention to the first few weeks of this nonsense. I don’t have hang ups about this being a “stern pro”. By the time I came in it seems like John has:

- some experience in owning and maintaining pins
    - some experience in pinball part production
    - a willing business partner
    - a legit playfield designer
    - a legit playfield printing service
    - allegedly a legit coder
    - maybe an artist
    - some sort of band for background music
    - a drinking problem
    - the sort of irrational confidence that you need to spin all these plates at once

Make a glorious hot mess

#3266 1 year ago

I like the alliteration. Some other off the top of my head

Redneck Resort
    Redneck Renaissance
    Redneck Rendezvous
    Redneck Royale
    Redneck Raiders
    Redneck Rampage
    Redneck Rangers
    Redneck Revenge
    Ragin' Rednecks
    Ransackin' Rednecks

(Rowdy Rednecks is a good one too)

#3274 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

It is not clear to me why this thread belongs in the Boutique versus homebrew forum. It is a homebrew.

Because it didn't start off as a homebrew. The plan is to have 1-10 units produced, depending on orders.

This isn't much of a company*, but it's not really a homebrew either (even if the finish product is a one of one comparable to a typical homebrew)

*John should probably form a LLC to protect himself from additional bankruptcies

#3276 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Shouldn't we have a count down for when Icey returns from Pinside jail? I need to pick up my body armor from the cleaners and I'd like to prepare.
    My guess is he intends to Whale on some of us.
    [quoted image]

Ice is still around. He sent me an actual nice message the other day. He seems very excited about the project.

#3278 1 year ago

It is his birthday today!

Happy Birthday. Have a fun night. Maybe put away the phone once the drinks come out

#3285 1 year ago

I just checked the USPTO and there are a lot of trademarks on Redneck Riviera. Drinks, particular meals and cocktails, beer, clothing, cigars, bbq sauce, sunscreen lotion, the name of the restaurant, tourist store, concert hall, etc... A separate place has the TM for agricultural consulting. Another for casinos.

Pinball and games looks clear though. I only went through the active trademarks though

Idk about Canada's trademark system

#3305 1 year ago

Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'
    Into the future

#3309 1 year ago

Order lines are still open. Act fast, only 9 mini-whale spots remain. We’ll tell you the theme once you give us an email address that checks out ok. Unless you have a good idea and then we’ll switch the main theme to be it. You’ll find out soon enough that I am very flexible. I’ve been practicing yoga for years.

If the rules and sounds are basic and not too game specific (sounds like it), you might as well let every mini-whale have the option to change the artwork to what they want. John can get a copy of the CAD file from the wood shop, then mini-whales can give it to their preferred artist who can send their final art to the print shop.

It would complicate things in an already complicated process, but this thread isn't about doing things the easy way.

#3311 1 year ago

I do not like Yoga, but I like to drink beer.

But have you tried drinking beer while doing yoga?

EMFw39.gifEMFw39.gif
    #3320 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Some kind of betting pool on what state this will be in at TPF, whoever is closest wins?

I’m going with physical hardware present, rough art with alignment issues, Gottlieb System 1 level of depth of rules, minimal assets on a LCD screen, minimal sound effects, minor EMI issues related to wiring.

I’ll toss in $50 into a charity betting pool. Winner gets to name the charity the pool goes to.

My charity is St Jude Children’s Hospital.

#3323 1 year ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

Just admit you're not building a 'Stern PRO style' game in 6 months as you originally promised.
    It's a Solid State style like Funhouse etc.

Bruh, if it is “Funhouse” level in six months I will increase my charity donation to $500. Not happening

#3326 1 year ago

Sandwich John leaving bread crumbs like Hansel

I’m two deep, but they were tall boys. That’s all for the night though

#3346 1 year ago

I'm still confused about why a 5 bank was chosen or a 7 bank proposed. The easily available drops are in sets of 1 and 3, sometimes you can get 4. I thought the point was to have off the shelf parts.

Anyhow, for 1-2 games it's probably fine.

Could have split the difference and put two 3 banks side by side.

#3349 1 year ago

Also we can start running through some cost estimates here. There isn't that much going on

4 pops x $50
    3 spinners x $25
    3 flippers x $45
    1 ball trough x $100
    1 ball trough ball guide x $35
    1 auto launch assembly x $60
    1 uppost x $40
    3 slings x $45
    8 rollover switches & mount x $4.5
    10 standups x $8

That's $1,000 in playfield parts, not counting ball guides, posts, rubbers, support rails, lenses, etc.

A Fast starter bundle should get them most of the stuff they'll need (which by the way is out of stock, order now). That's $650

A minicomputer $150

Probably $200 in wires, crimps, connectors, etc

Basic speakers and amp $100

Basic display $50

A cut playfield with art applied. $500-750?

A cabinet with associated trim and hardware $800-1,000?

We're at about $5k with a donated playfield design, no art, no code.

#3354 1 year ago

Someone has to be making 5 banks if Stern just ran more Star Wars with FORCE drop targets. Good luck finding them

#3357 1 year ago

That's not the modern Stern bank and appear to be NOS. They could be new reproductions? Not sure why PPS would be making them, but could be.

#3358 1 year ago

Do you think this game will be up to Punny Factory levels?

Gameplay examples

that video is relatively old. The instagrams are more recent

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce2Hdtjp5X3/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeomahVJhDz/ (note they said they finished code 9 weeks ago, they announced this project in Dec 2019 where art and playfield design was already done: https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2019/12/16/punny-factory/)

Coding a game into being fun is truly the hardest part (besides building more than a handful)

#3364 1 year ago

I just sent a pm to the coach. There will be only the 1 or possibly #2 for him if he wants it. Marco Specialties just phoned this morning & found out there is only 1 target bank on the shelf. All the parts for this build will be new or nos . Planetary Pinball & Rick I usually do not buy from. So my 3 USA vendors are stated, & possibly a few Canadian ones. I am not going to beat them down on pricing. This is the 1 or 2 only for Doug now. If others want to buy in, which I doubt will happen by the end of August. It will only be if the exact same mech NOS can be sourced.
    The only one to step forward from the start with cash in hand was Doug (TPB), & not the Go Fund Me fiasco of the money should be there or not. Like I have said my thoughts were it would be until the Fall or the end of the year for it to maybe be there. The 6 month build date is September to March 1, 2023.
    If you guys want to help me out with the cheapest vendors for individual parts please do. If you want to keep dumping on the project or myself go ahead.
    I am in Canada so shipping is expensive, 15% tax, + any crap import duties or fees. Plus our Canadian dollar is poor. Anyone buying into this project is getting a deal! I am happy if the build numbers remain 1 or 2.

Would it be more economical for everything to go to Ice, and then he ships one large box into Canada? These are the sorta things you need to be considering as project manager...

I don't see why you wouldn't just buy from the cheapest vendors for everything. Like hardly anything should be ordered at Marco considering their prices compared to PB Resource and Pinball Life.

#3372 1 year ago

Pinball Resources would have a lot of what you need and at the cheapest prices. Too bad it's a 1,700 mile drive. Probably wouldn't save much if you went to get it yourself with gas prices these days. That's about $350 in gas assuming 25mpg

#3382 1 year ago

Maybe so, kind of a open book with the pinball manufacturing experts here. Pinball is a different beast, than other business people are into.
    Doug has roughly 2 & half days left on his penalty. He likely has a lot to say about this project.

Pinball is a pretty straightforward business item. It's a complex engineering widget, but nothing crazy. As an engineer, I used to design entire commercial sites, permit, and have them under construction and finished within 12-18 months. It's all about managing timelines, coordinating with multiple parties, and understanding the critical path method.

It's the people who like pinball that are a different beast than most other interests...

#3385 1 year ago

I don't want any of this to go poorly. I'm a bit skeptical of it ending well though.

I do think a game will eventually be finished and dropped off by John. That's a victory in of itself. And if Ice is happy with the final product? Doesn't really matter what anyone else said about it...

#3411 1 year ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Why? It looks like he has few of the CGC games and they are pretty much all PPS parts.

Yeah is this an Ice thing or a John thing?

Sometimes you do business with vendors you don't like. Sometimes you can't beat the price of one vs the others

Really you should take the list of materials and figure out what each and every major vendor charges for everything. Then you can consolidate orders, minimize shipping, and maximize your budget

Or waste Ice's money. It's not mine and if he hates Rick, then whatever.

#3413 1 year ago

All this bubbler talk. Are we talking about baby water pipes for smoking dope? Because this name could work on multiple levels

glassnation (resized).jpgglassnation (resized).jpg
    #3414 1 year ago

We both do not want to get stuff from PPS. Yes stuff will be bunched together to avoid costs. Also if stuff were sent as a gift that gets looked closely like pinball parts by Canada Customs.

How does it work if you drive over the border? I just moved to Maine. I'm in your neck of the woods. If you wanna drive back and forth over the border to save money, I could maybe help you

#3419 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

What vision? John has yet to come up with a single idea, or rule, or feature.

Ahem

cash-money.gifcash-money.gif
    #3431 1 year ago

I assume it's John trying to keep himself busy while retired. Some people fall apart quick when retirement starts and they don't have anything to do all day but sit around and drink... My dad gained 50 pounds in two years after he retired from the telephone company without any plans on what he would actually do during his retirement.

American Pinball mentioned doing a homebrew contest at Expo. Is IceJohn going to enter Trailer Trash?

#3480 1 year ago

I do think there is some demand for single level games with approachable rules. TNA of course, but The Beatles is one of my favorite Sterns of recent years. The rules are simple but so good on Beatles, with a refined classic layout.

The Beatles level depth of code would be a huge achievement. If they can even get the rules to that level with some not totally obnoxious sound effects, it’s a rousing success.

#3488 1 year ago

Try contacting Brad Albright. He does pinball art. I have one of his pieces and really like it.

I think he also did the playfield art for rotodaves Led Zeppelin retheme project

#3504 1 year ago

Besides Pinball Adventures, have there ever been any Canadian manufacturers/game-companies?

#3507 1 year ago

There were many way back in time.

Such as?

#3518 1 year ago

I enjoyed TPB in college 10-15 years ago. Rob Wells is hysterical

I think I'd prefer an original trailer theme over TPB though... I don't know if the license brings that much to the table, besides maybe video clips for a LCD screen and some callouts. I haven't watched the show in forever to see if there is that much good footage that could be made into pinball video content, but it would be a big leg up over starting with a blank slate.

If it's a numeric or alphanumeric game though, then the license doesn't bring much to the table. I think most callouts you might pull from the show could be re-written and would be better off being re-recorded.

#3630 1 year ago

I was playing some TWD premium today. Crossbow mech perfect for harpooning whales

Wonder if Stern will reuse the mech again for Jaws. Good mech for premiums to attach barrels to the shark to make it easier to defeat.

#3632 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I don’t see Elwin reusing an already reused Borg mech.

Why not? He reused other ideas

Iron Maiden premium doesn’t have much going on, but uses a simple lift ramp. One might argue the sarcophagus lock is inspired by Strange Science capturing a ball to use as a captive ball related to a multiball

Jurassic Park premium raptor pit is like a mini AFM shield with a focus on dirty pools

AIQ premium uses the classic Stern ball staging mech from games like Flight 2k and Freefall

The Godzilla building is arguably a variation on the Dr Who mech. Mechagodzilla mech shares some ideas with the Goldeneye satellite mech (expose a ramp, catch a ball with magnet)

There are only so many original ideas…

The bridge mech in Godzilla was him borrowing an idea from a child’s toy play set Gomez gave him. (And I should really say Elwin gave it to his mechanical engineer who is the real MVP with mechs)

#3635 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Inspired by/similar to is not the same as reuse. TWD cannon is literally the same mech Borg used in Austin Powers.

The AIQ mech is the same as Flight 2k and others. Who gives a shit? All the newbs buying games don’t know the difference, and experience players know it matters more how it’s used than what it does.

#3663 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I recently bought an electric lawnmower. I was shocked how good it is.
    (Credit: the punny factory)

I just went all electric and will never go back. The self propelled feature goes through the battery quickly when I use it, but otherwise the mower/hedge trimmer/weed whacker set has been great for my two acres.

Anyhow. One less day for drinking and building.

#3726 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Trailer Trash pin would fit right in there. And it’s a Pro model so the coin door will work! Ice playing the long game

#3727 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

You sure spend a lot of time at bars for someone so broke.

What will reach 10k first, the pin or John’s bar tab

The pin will jump out to the lead once parts are ordered, but John can knock ‘em back for six months. Tortoise or hare? I’m going tortoise

#3730 1 year ago

If you look at pinball life, some of the deeproot stanfups are a bit cheaper than their normal ones. That’s probably what Hansel’s breadcrumbs are about

#3735 1 year ago

The project is champagne tastes on a beer budget

There are no cheap drunks here

#3755 1 year ago

At least he's in Canada where the health care won't bankrupt him again

#3797 1 year ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Do you have a target date for this yet?

Late 2023 if you follow the breadcrumbs, ie read what Ben wrote in plain English

#3802 1 year ago

Oh he has plenty of time. Is he hitting every bar in Benton like the designers like to do? He’s probably hasn’t even finalized the theme so he can just rest and party thru 2022.

It takes what, three stops to hit every bar in Benton?

#3804 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Wait! Technically the VFW is a bar so 4? Depending on the day?

I thought about joke asking if there was a VFW or not.

And if it's like most VFW halls I've seen, no it doesn't count because it's only open for private parties anymore.

#3811 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

So it's ass gout?

Disease of King's Butts

I get my first colonoscopy later this year. Runs in the family so screening starts early for me.

#3814 1 year ago

I only watched a little of the clip. I haven't gotten to that episode yet. That guy is something special...

#3850 1 year ago

I feel like John would have been better off building an old Classic Stern or Bally from scratch. He doesn't seem that interested in the details of designing a game vs simply constructing one.

#3866 1 year ago

You really gotta figure out all the parts you need and which vendor has what for what price. You're going to destroy your budget with small orders like that drop target bank. Like surely Marco had something else at an ok price you could have gotten at the same time...

#3878 1 year ago

The build has not even started yet. Got Ben saying it will be DOA at Texas, & bunch of people think it will be like old Bally & Stern. Wait until you see the whitewood next month. Likely bad from what the gallery here already thinks.

Seeing a whitewood isn't going to make us think it's more than an old Bally/Stern. Only the software will. But you don't seem to care about software...

#3880 1 year ago

Do people honestly think it will be up to the quality of an old Bally/Stern? I genuinely mean no shade. It's just that old Bally/Sterns were made by Bally/Stern, with experienced/cohesive teams, more money than iceman, and in a time before SXSW.

Bally games are amazing. Stern games are more budgety feeling, but still had some incredible gameplay with good rulesets.

I think it'll be Gottlieb System 1 level. Functional and generally not very interesting.

Maybe some basic light shows. John never mentioned if he'd make it RGB lightning or not after I suggest investing in modern lightning to make the game seem more advance than it is.

#3882 1 year ago

Do people think it will surpass Mafia? Other than (I assume) a better playfield design, I'm not yet reading indications for why it would.

No

The Mafia, while nothing special, is a fully coded game with basic screen animations, a full sound package, a decent art package, etc...

It's not passing that level by TPF unless the coder is already experience in MPF and is going to crunch for 4-6 months. (And really they should already be working on a rough ruleset, considering audio, and considering their user interface)

#3892 1 year ago

If i were to fan obsess about a tv show and it’s cast enough to build a pin, it would never be themed as TPB nor TT. I’d probably pick Charlie’s Angels or Bay Watch or Sheena the Princess Warrior a Buffy the Vampire Slayer or even Kill Bill. In other words … less trailer park boys and more girls, girls, girls.

You remind me of a high school friend who used to always pick a girl when playing a video game RPG. "If I'm going to stare at the characters ass for over 100 hours, it better look good"

#3934 1 year ago
    giphy.gifgiphy.gif
    #3942 1 year ago

lol, this build won't go private

most of the people involved like the attention

#3947 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

Well to a retiree Tuesday or Saturday doesn't matter. 9 beers isn't a really heavy binge if it's only once in a while...
    He has said I think 16 was his record so we can probably round that up to 20 but still 9 really isn't that bad from time to time.
    But only if you're Canadian! Or Irish, or German or fill in the blank...
    Some do their best work with a few drinks to make it more fun!

By most (all?) medical definitions, 9 beers in a session is binge drinking. Drinking over 14 in a week is considered heavy alcohol use (or 5 binge sessions in a month, which is 5 or more beers in a session)

But hey, he's living his best life. No judgement.

#3950 1 year ago

Can't say that I have too many dead hooker ideas.

Maybe a car trunk that opens as a ball lock device.

Somehow use the classic GTA system of attract a hooker into your car, go somewhere secluded, the car shakes, your health bar fills while your cash drops, the shaking stops, the hookers leaves, then you can kill the hooker for the money back. Idk how it would work in a pinball. Maybe sacrifice points to start a mode where you get a temp ball save and you hit shots to kill the hooker, which gets you points back?

Maybe if you could work dead hookers into another theme. Seedy Truck Stop? Lot Lizards? Then you can combine it with some other sundry activities. Idk. I don't get much inspiration from "dead hookers"

#3962 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I have a beer tapper fridge in my basement. I might have a beer a day, and on weekends(Fri & Sat) 4 to 6 total for both days. Sunday, I do not drink. Sundays I stay clean because I have a business to run on Monday. That's completely being in control of my imbibing.

You're a heavy alcohol user. But that doesn't necessarily mean you're an alcoholic. That has its own criteria.

My wife is a teetotaling doctor. I've had to hear a lot about the criteria for light/heavy drinking, abuse, and alcoholism...

To be fair, I was a high functioning alcoholic years ago. Hardly drink anymore now. Smoke too much pot though. One vice in exchange for another I suppose.

#3969 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

How am I a heavy drinker? I have 8 to 10 drinks in a week, tops, spread over 6 days.

I read your weekend count wrong. I thought you mean 4-6 each day of the weekend, not 4-6 total over two days. I was mistaken

Quoted from Beechwood:

How do you know how much vdojaq weighs?

That has no effect on the definition. It affects how he tolerates alcohol consumption, not if he is medically considered a non/light/heavy drinker when a doctor is evaluating him.

#3979 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

See, this is what I'm talking about. Dark Humor.
    https://worstjokesever.com/dead-hooker

In my edgelord days these were dead baby jokes. Pretty much all the exact same setup and punchlines.

#3994 1 year ago

You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink (because it wants beer, not what fish fuck in)

Can’t help people who don’t want help

What I wonder is what John is going to do for months after he builds a white wood and gives it to a coder. Well actually I know what he’ll do to spend the time…. so nevermind!

#4004 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

It will be the first pinball machine literally designed on bar napkins.

Hey now, Steve Ritchie allegedly drew Flash on an airplane cocktail menu. Sold nearly 20k

#4012 1 year ago

John saying who his contractors are really devalues what he has to bring to the table as primary contractor.

This is a show not tell industry these days.

#4038 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

There's a podcast with some pie crust or burnt toast in it. Its a bit over 2 hours long I'm told, and none of us want to spend that much time to listen for the programmers name or the surrounding conversation.
    If someone can post a link to the correct podcast, I'm willing to Time Share some listening energy.
    If we can get 4 people to agree to 30 minutes segments, we could divide them and knock it our fairly quickly. I'll take minutes 0-30, someone else can take minutes 30-60, then 60-90 and finally someone at 90-120. And if only one person agrees and you guys want to punish me, I'll do the first hour and they can do the last.
    Any podcast over an hour I tend to skip entirely and it boggles my mind why more of them don't understand that.
    I'm kinda embarrassed to make this suggestion but my attention span is only about 15 minutes for such things. And its even less with podcasters who prattle on about their personal lives, subliminal advertisements or whatever off-road stream of consciousness they get stuck in.

what's the podcast? You can just dump it on some websites that will generate a transcript. Then CTRL + F a bit

#4042 1 year ago

Even reading the transcript was a slog. Orbital was on board if it was TPB and would have worked on it. Now it's not, so he's out. Not sure what I was supposed to learn from that.

#4048 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I got John to cave a little. Here is the Trailer Trash programmer
    https://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?p=22228

Awesome. Best of luck to him.

#4056 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Maybe they hired everyone off Fiverr

Honestly Fiverr is worth considering for some cheap art and voice call outs

#4068 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

The other question one has to ask is does the part of the project you work on depend on the beer count at that time of the day. Do you think there are project aspects you do better having had 1 beer versus 9 ?

From experience, beer helps when stripping and crimping a hundred wires (otherwise your head would smash into the workbench from the tedium). That's about it...

#4069 1 year ago

Kim I had a Canadian artist do a Dolly Parton conversion many years back. It was fairly simply done art, but professional looking. This build will look like a commercial pinball machine of the past & likely the future, or some place in between. Doug the lone investor so far will have his say of what the build should be like. Or I got my own ideas to use, maybe on napkins or not.
    Jon Norris brings a lot to the table with the playfield layout, & other stuff. I bring something or not to get this build done. I do not mind being the underdog, fool, drunk, or any other thing people think I am. People will likely be shocked over the 6 month build, or maybe they wait to see like Ben DOA for Texas. Seems like the betting pool has been quiet the last few days.

The coder is who needs to bring the most to the project, because they'll have the most work by far.

And again, I think most people think you will bring something to TPF. It being worth anywhere near 10k in value is what is in doubt.

#4072 1 year ago

Or likely I dodged a big one there. He was too excited, & likely too juiced up on legal weed. Lots of pinball guys like the legal weed in Canada & USA. He also likes to drink beer, like most Canadian males. If you listen to his podcasts talking with or with out me that he is not a fan, & believes nothing will be done. Maybe another super fan of TPB, but I was never going to use him for his plan of being some cheap ass mini whale investor. Time for him to sell some more coffee & tea. You guys should buy some, good for him & he lives in a rural area. Show some love, & know why you do not like to listen to people sing jingles or birthday crap.

Oh really, you're telling me most of the people you've talked to have shown the most interest when inebriated? Color me surprised.

#4083 1 year ago

Wouldn't a beer dispensing soda machine cause every beer to foam over after it drops down the chute?

#4088 1 year ago

I have always stated not a art or color guy. Could do some basic coding, & I can do more than what you think. The build still has not started yet. Should wait another week. I am honoring my promise to you, try not to bait me!

What can you code in? Ye Olde Fortran?

Olde_Fortran_Malt_Liquor (1) (resized).jpgOlde_Fortran_Malt_Liquor (1) (resized).jpg
    #4132 1 year ago

He can quit anytime. Only thing he ain’t quitting is this build.

Chop choo, this whale train is maybe rolling out of bed by mid morning
    8B8A9F0D-FBE9-4CB5-BD4C-371DD9EAA97A (resized).png8B8A9F0D-FBE9-4CB5-BD4C-371DD9EAA97A (resized).png

#4185 1 year ago

I would love to see any sort of schedule John has made for the project

Pat Lawlor once gave an Expo presentation that he later reposted on his website https://web.archive.org/web/20061205224837/http://www.patlawlordesign.com/making/index.html

He mapped out the entire timeline for his project (full of actual experienced pinball people, not a mix of pros and hobbyist)

Look at his seven month projection for Monopoly (and John should have a leg up with Jon Norris providing a decent white wood design)

whole (resized).jpgwhole (resized).jpg

>Every Monday I would loudly declare TIME MARCHES ON! and move a yellow post-it arrow sticker one click to the right. Then I would stand back and see how much work we still had to go.

I sure hope John has a similar system as he's mostly dealing with sub contractors and not direct employees in his workshop. I've said it before and someone else brought it up, if you're not figuring out your critical path now you are boned later.

#4187 1 year ago

Also I do think it's a feather in John's cap to be experienced with things like making specs, ordering, and receiving custom insert lenses....but ain't no body got time for that in this build

Have you started to learn how to wire a game to the FAST platform? Is that still the system being used? Has it been ordered? Because as I pointed out a few days ago, it's on backorder. Don't see how a coder can start without a flipping white wood (well actually I do see how they could start, but they could have also already started work by this point - just like John could already be working with artists, ordering parts, etc)

#4190 1 year ago

Parts are being ordered, light lenses will only be stock available ones, & it is to early for art. Still going with the Fast unless the well is bone dry.

Get them part orders in ASAP

Looking forward to this becoming a homebrew wiring troubleshooting guide later. Some people can learn things and laugh along the way. Everyone wins.

#4194 1 year ago

If beer is the ingredient that unlock John’s irrational confidence to pull this off, start exporting cases Ice.

That is nothing like the paradox of throwing money/time at a problem making it worse…

#4305 1 year ago

Crazy how much fighting there is before any work is done

It’s also increasingly harder to tell who is trolling vs sincere in their encouragement

#4408 1 year ago

You guys ever just…not drink on the weekend?

#4419 1 year ago

I spent my day putting together a work bench. The things you get done when not drinking all day…

2E2C279B-B2C8-4D87-B649-6998577EAF26 (resized).jpeg2E2C279B-B2C8-4D87-B649-6998577EAF26 (resized).jpeg
    #4425 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Now you are ready for MONO MANUFACTURE!

The idea of putting together eight of these makes me want to drink heavily.

#4451 1 year ago

I hung up some art today. May it inspire this build

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #4491 1 year ago

My birthday is Saturday, but maybe it'll come early on Thursday

Just a few more days until the rubber hits the road

#4493 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Ben, you are preaching to the choir. You get it, I get it, and many others here get it. I know you are on these tirades with John's best interests. I had to learn myself, you are just pounding your head against the wall with John. Yes, this up to 10 games shit is absolutely absurd. 1 or 2 will be a miracle and the seas will part. Especially by TPF and SWSEX party, whatever that is?

You'd be surprised how many people violate a simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are.

#4498 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

John, quit with this absolute nonsense. You build the whitewood on the same material you use for the actual playfield. You CANNOT use strand or MDF for ANY type of playfield otherwise this is a complete disaster of a joke.

Eh. For prototyping reasons, I think he's fine as long as he's at the right thickness. There's really no point in wasting money for the good wood till you're ready for it.

John will go through 1-2 revision rounds before it's actually ready for the real build.

#4512 1 year ago

This blockbuster revelation has really flown under the radar.

To be fair, I'm pretty jaded. But that random aside seemed like no big deal. My chief construction inspector found five dead bodies the past year. Mix of ODs, gunshot wounds, and one was too far gone to tell.

Years ago a friend went out of town for Christmas vacation. While he was gone there was a dead body in his front lawn. Random guy who "fell on a screw driver" (make of that what you will) and died in the cold. Kinda amusing, the police went to my friends backyard and took one of his tarps to cover the scene. My friend never got a replacement tarp...

You guys really gotta try to be more desensitized.

#4513 1 year ago

Have you made your loved ones aware of the deadline and means with which to get in touch with John?

For some reason my wife has been insisting on Godzilla. I can only leave so many hints, aka empty beer cans, around the house!

#4522 1 year ago

This takes the prize for the grimmest thing I've read on a pinball forum.

Just wait till Kim's Dead Hooker game hits pre-production!

#4524 1 year ago

Was the neighborhood always considered run down, or was it only after the pinball fueled murder spree and bonfire orgies?

#4526 1 year ago

The grounds were dozens of pinball machines were burned seems like a perfect place to start a pinball factory and won't at all result in the ghost of Harry William haunting it.

The neighborhood is on the way up!

#4530 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Is a proper size piece of plywood too expensive? Seems like a pain to deal with all the screws poking through the bottom.

Plywood is still crazy expensive right now. Especially the good stuff that would be used in final production

You guys gotta accept one simple truth: John is going to do what John wants to do.

If it's 5/16" thick, then glue two sheets together and plane it down to 17/32". That's the typical thickness used. (Which gets planned down to 1/2" after inserts are installed, then it goes off for art)

#4533 1 year ago

The real reason to not fool with MDF for a prototyping playfield is MDF will hate it if you try to move posts around to tweak geometry.

#4536 1 year ago

My free advice is only available when I need to use the toilet, kill time in between work meetings, or avoid awkward social interactions.

#4539 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

So... 23 hours a day??

You’re greatly underestimating my ghosting abilities and fiber intake.

#4554 1 year ago

there will be many hurtles on the way.

John will need a caution sign for loose beer cans on the floor.

#4556 1 year ago

Like that but jumping over these things

4E4D6294-03E7-4E49-911E-C3FEBAFB0A4C (resized).jpeg4E4D6294-03E7-4E49-911E-C3FEBAFB0A4C (resized).jpeg

#4593 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Last day.. gotta pay if ya wanna play! Don't let Fomo ruin it for ya!
    [quoted image]

31 days in August, Bub

Blame Augustus

#4612 1 year ago

So who's making this?

Alcoholics

thatsthejoke.png

#4618 1 year ago

This but replace the bar with an unfinished pinball machine themed as Moby Dick

25BEAE5A-511B-4429-B23E-2A8FC44331EC (resized).png25BEAE5A-511B-4429-B23E-2A8FC44331EC (resized).png
    #4633 1 year ago

Time to get this party started because the build is about to begin! (assuming it's not pushed off a day due to a hangover from pre-celebration)

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#4645 1 year ago

Why would I ever stop drinking beer, only maybe when I die.

Only maybe

You're a gem, John

#4655 1 year ago

People following the breadcrumbs would be less lost if they followed the beer bottle caps.

Can you imagine a whale hunters version of the dotted line Family Circus comics?

4d220276f3fe51e878a8f617fffbe0a1 (resized).png4d220276f3fe51e878a8f617fffbe0a1 (resized).png
    #4667 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

OK got another one: Greatwich LLC, we put the "or not !" in pinball TM
    No royalty required for that one

Greatwatch LLC: We put the beerball into pinball!

00EB51C0-A4B2-8B44-A0A4-D4F85653D7AC (resized).jpg00EB51C0-A4B2-8B44-A0A4-D4F85653D7AC (resized).jpg
    #4669 1 year ago

No it was not just me, but hundreds of outside workers over the years get very low pay from this City. Only Police & Fire are treated right.

I've worked for a major city before and know what you mean. Lots of years with no raises for everyone but police and fire because of their strong union. (They were bloodthirsty and scorch earth when they didn't get their way, like buying buildboards at major tourist places telling people to avoid coming to town and to leave ASAP)

#4674 1 year ago

I feel like the Trailer Trash artist will definitely need to add an old, rundown, above-ground pool in honor of John's past civic life.

It might leak a bit but the water is immaculate!

#4676 1 year ago

how do people feel about mobile pools

00EB51C0-A4B2-8B44-A0A4-D4F85653D7AC (resized).jpg00EB51C0-A4B2-8B44-A0A4-D4F85653D7AC (resized).jpg
    #4685 1 year ago

Greasy Pinball

#4706 1 year ago

So just one machine? Maybe two if Ice needs a second.

No more of this up to 10 stuff.

#4707 1 year ago

No one joined in just like I had hoped.

Congratulations DFF7A919-DC14-4388-8A05-567E6016BA29.gifDFF7A919-DC14-4388-8A05-567E6016BA29.gif

#4720 1 year ago

The coach is still working on a artist. So when he is ready he can do his big announcement. Waiting on Fedex to show up with some Pinball Life parts. I need full size print outs from Jon Norris for my printer.

Worklog - Day One
    Waiting on others...

Alright. Time for a beer

#4731 1 year ago

Some parts came in from Pinball Life. Out this afternoon at arcades doing some service work. That goes towards my rent & power at the operators workshop I share. Overhead is kept to a minimum with this build.
    [quoted image]

Some stuff!

I assume you have another sling for the bash toy that is still TBD. And just a lot more stuff in general to cut down on shipping costs...

Any reason you went with that auto launch mech vs the cheaper one https://www.pinballlife.com/shooter-lane-auto-kicker-assembly.html

Could have saved a couple bucks and gotten a 4 ball trough instead of 8. But hey, why not...

#4740 1 year ago

Minor nerdy nitpick tangent

With most homebrew pinball controllers, you get banks of 8 switch inputs on a connector. Pinball Life's best deal is an 8 ball trough, which is only $10 more than their 4 ball trough. An 8 ball trough uses 7 mechanical switches and 2 optos, for 9 switches (one for each ball plus a jam sensor). So it doesn't cleanly fit onto one single connector and it makes wiring up a trough a bit ugly I ended up just wiring up 7 switches and the jam on my game.

I really needed to get that pet peeve off my chest...

#4754 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

GWJ already has more parts than the Ballarama guy.
    So that's a plus.

But not as many patents

Imagine the breadcrumb trail in a Chug-Like-a-Whale's patent application...

#4792 1 year ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Not the only challenge with using that 8 ball trough.

I've had issues with the jam switch and it clearing itself, but Idk if it's something I did wrong or what. Also annoying to mount it and the auto launcher for the shooter. Very tight fit. Other than that it's been fine. Is there something else to look out for?

#4795 1 year ago

The way John put in the Guinness has to be trolling…you have to empty out the crap to get to the good stuff.

Speaking of which, no one is around today so a long lunch with a Guinness with a mushroom, bacon, and bleu cheese burger

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#4798 1 year ago

No I love those cans. They’re great

I’m talking about how in the vending machine you have to go through not-Guinness to get to the Guinness because of how you loaded it

#4803 1 year ago
    Quoted from wcbrandes:

Shit, and you're worried about Johns beer consumption? .... Did they give you a free set of defib paddles with this?

I only eat red meat once a week, so gotta make it count.

#4806 1 year ago
    Quoted from wcbrandes:

I think the red meat is your lowest concern here!

Yeah the mushrooms were in the way of the congealed fat!

#4960 1 year ago

This is all about getting a .dwg file open? Jon can just print from his CAD into PDF format and send that to you (though dwg is preferable over pdf). But it's also weird that you went to printers who can't open a simple dwg file.

Pretty sure AutoDesk makes a free version to open DWGs for printing for basically this reason...

I hate the large plotter in my office because a lot of the PDFs I try to print don't scale correctly when printed, and I often end up having to do a test sheet or two (because people screw with the margins on their PDF output). Never have that issue with dwgs though

#4992 1 year ago

A commercial print shop saying they can't print a .dwg is like saying they can't print a .doc

#4996 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Didn't he say they couldn't open the file, hence the problem?

The file could be corrupted or maybe Jon didn't setup his paper space correctly (ie you define a viewport area and scale for what will be printed). Not much to do about the former, but a print shop could still help with the later issue.

#5006 1 year ago

Have you guys ever seen french fry vending machines? I wonder if you could rig one up to make fried pork chops...

#5023 1 year ago

I'm a bit confused about what the point of printing this off to put onto a blank sheet of wood is. Are you going to glue it down, eyeball aligning everything while routing by hand, make some minor adjustments, and then what...scan the playfield to send to Jon to tweak the CAD? Is it not obvious why this will be a huge headache for Jon?

Like why not go straight to a CNC router with Jon's design? Then at least everything is where it's supposed to be according to the CAD model. (You'd still have the problem of how to get any changes back into the CAD model, but this would still improve the process on the first whitewood)

Or stop the madness of there ever being more than one of these and embrace the one-off nature...

Also why do I bother pointing this stuff out lol. John doesn't care. He's got fresh pepperoni to preoccupy himself.

#5030 1 year ago

Let you guys keep going on & thinking that I am some sort of idiot!

It is better to keep your mouth closed open and let people think you are a fool than to open close it and remove all doubt. - GWJ

#5032 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

It appears Coach/Doug/Iceman44 has gone silent since Saturday. Trying to make plans to meet him in Vegas and that appears to be a no go as well?

Announce you're opening a high end, low production run pinball company and he will materialize out of the aether

#5040 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

No sense in raising your blood pressure.

especially with a diet built around salt, nitrates, and alcohol

#5061 1 year ago

Jon, ever given consideration to spending slightly less on beer, bars, and gambling so that you could spend an equivalent amount more on food that would be healthier, tastier, and less resembling of bowel movements?

You mean John with a H.

And to be fair: food is either unhealthy, tasty, and cheap; or healthy, tasty, and expensive. There is some bland tasting, cheap, healthy food. John had a kale salad this week. That counts for...not much, but technically something. It just gets cancelled out by a case of beer.

#5081 1 year ago

It's not some obscure file format. Any place that has ever printed blueprints will have someone on staff who knows how to open a dwg

You can open them for free with a download app or online via AutoDesk, the owners of the format. https://www.autodesk.com/viewers

Again, it's like saying a print shop can't print a Word Doc. It's one of the most common file types in engineering and architecture.

#5084 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Is Jon Norris blackbald from pinball or something?

He was let go around the Sega to Stern transition. He mentioned thinking it had something to do with how he objected to the smoking which was allowed in the offices and factory areas. (which I figured would have been a slamdunk lawsuit in the 00s, but maybe there's more to the story)

Quoted from pinballguru:

Yes, I never worked for WMS.
    I’ve been blacklisted for the past 22 years from the pinball industry because I also designed the rule sets for my playfields and pinball savvy coders don’t want to work with me. I no longer require rule set design with my layouts. (I won’t be designing the rule set for TT)
    (It has been a very frustrating 22 years)

Quoted from pinballguru:

Yes, that was 22 years ago.
    I made a big deal about the cigarette smoke and asked for a meeting to resolve the issue. I went into that meeting expecting finding a resolution to the smoke issue. They already had the (Pink Slip) paperwork completed going into the meeting. It was my fault to make a big deal about the cigarette smoke. I was not expecting losing my job. Yes, I made a bad mistake, I just should have worked in the smoke and gotten an air cleaner for my office. Hindsight is 20-20.

#5088 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

At this point I'm thinking it's not a matter of simply being able to print a dwg file. I think if three printers couldn't print it or even open it the file he has is currupted. Needs a new file sent and if it's bigger than 10mb may be hard to email thus the thumb drive option. Or not or maybe ftp the file or not!

Or like I mentioned before, it could be the drawing hasn't had a paper space properly defined

Model space is where you draw everything to scale in a limitless space. Paper space is a separate viewport. That's where you make a border and insert a viewport that shows a defined part of the model space at a particular scale (and particular angle if modeling in 3D). That's where you print from.

This is day one of CAD 101

#5095 1 year ago

It goes back to what's the point of making this mockup if John can't easily communicate changes back to Jon, especially if he's not putting things exactly where the model expects things to be.

Go straight to a CNC router

#5129 1 year ago

Who needs key posts to follow Hansel’s plans?

It’s a guy who hasn’t programmed a game, but also didn’t program a game for Heighway

#5152 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

by the time he has serious concerns .... it's usually too late to do anything

Or like how my wife, who is a doctor, describes some patients...you just do what you can because they're set in their ways

She was telling me about an old timer who came in the other day. He'd been sitting around depressed for several months. He didn't take his boots off a single time in that period. His flesh had begun to rot and fuse to the boot. They took the boot off, did what they could, and sent him along his way.

Can't tell you how many old alcoholics she's seen at the VA hospital. Best you can do is try to get them to be honest about how much they consume to write in their notes so the next doctor has an idea of what to expect.

People don't change unless they want to. A doctor's time is too valuable to preach to an unreceptive patient or devise an action plan that they know won't be followed.

#5154 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I believe it.
    A family member was recently diagnosed with hepatitis of the liver, which is a death sentence. Young too. But the sympathy level at first from the Physicians were non existence. They basically said go home and die.
    He's fought back and finally got on the list for donated organs - but his team told us that he is in the minority. Now they want him be a speaker to other patients because he quit and is trying to change his life. Most of them - even those that don't need a transplant and could reverse the damage, just kept on drinking and killed themselves. The way I look at is there are too many people on earth anyway, so if some choose to end it early by their behavior, so be it.

My wife's mentor told her this parable when she was feeling a bit down early on:

Once upon a time, there was an old man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach every morning before he began his work. Early one morning, he was walking along the shore after a big storm had passed and found the vast beach littered with starfish as far as the eye could see, stretching in both directions.

Off in the distance, the old man noticed a small boy approaching. As the boy walked, he paused every so often and as he grew closer, the man could see that he was occasionally bending down to pick up an object and throw it into the sea. The boy came closer still and the man called out, “Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?”

The young boy paused, looked up, and replied “Throwing starfish into the ocean. The tide has washed them up onto the beach and they can’t return to the sea by themselves,” the youth replied. “When the sun gets high, they will die, unless I throw them back into the water.”

The old man replied, “But there must be tens of thousands of starfish on this beach. I’m afraid you won’t really be able to make much of a difference.”

The boy bent down, picked up yet another starfish and threw it as far as he could into the ocean. Then he turned, smiled and said, “It made a difference to that one!”

#5158 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

This story would be more feasible if the old man and young boy roles were reversed. The old man should be more wise than the kid.

Well you could also say it's the wisdom and innocence of children who haven't been beaten down by the world yet vs a practical adult who thinks it's all futile.

#5162 1 year ago

this thread is as much about building pinball as it is about building better pinsiders

#5171 1 year ago

Microsoft Project is a bit bare bones, but solid for making a Gantt chart

#5292 1 year ago

Just got back from my social. Beer count today was 8. People have to work Saturdays so a early night. The coach will be back from Vegas next week. The print is only about $20. Here is Jon Norris file that works on my computer & the printer. The new target bank & fixed targets I will see how they fit when I get the print.
    [quoted image]

I downloaded this and imported it into CAD for fun. Now I can print this dwg

33E9C455-034D-4415-B671-81D8B213D0E4 (resized).jpeg33E9C455-034D-4415-B671-81D8B213D0E4 (resized).jpeg

Total time: 2 minutes

#5298 1 year ago
    Quoted from mof:

(don't know what page has the layout analysis)
    I was wondering whether there was a way to drop a pop right behind the shooter-lane-area right flipper -- could a pop just fit in that space?
    (and remove the little 3-post walled off triangle space)

pop (resized).PNGpop (resized).PNG

It would need some posts and maybe some ball guides around it, but it could work. I'd worry about the ball getting pinched between the pop ring and flipper. Software could monitor it for stuck balls though. I can see it getting stuck in a tilt without a good ball search.

#5303 1 year ago
    Quoted from mof:

Wow thank you for the visual. What great service.
    Not a bad idea to throw a half-moon ball guide around the top half of the pop -- no real need to spam a ball into a metal ball guide on right and above.

I made another iteration

This stuff takes no time...

Capture2 (resized).PNGCapture2 (resized).PNG
    #5306 1 year ago
    Quoted from mof:

I wonder what piece of the pop assembly the circle represents. The shooter lane ball just needs to clear the pop trigger plastic at the base.
    I'm thinking more up and right would be possible given the guaranteed line of the shooter ball and minimal ball diameter
    To allow for more balls to arch into the out lane naturally from lateral lower playfield motion

I believe the circle is the outside diameter of the pop bumper cap. The three small infilled circles are the nails, the lumpy circle is where the spoon switch goes with the wiring to the pop lamp to the sides. The two holes to the outside of that are for the rod for the pop ring. The pop skirt and ring are not shown in this.

#5317 1 year ago
    Quoted from Paul1478:

nice work but what was the beer count?

Haven't had a drink in about two weeks. Probably why I was able to be productive with both my actual work and with my shit posting work.

Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

The hot plate cooking near used paint is bad...likely noxious rags are nearby as well. Can't you at least cook your meat in the furthest corner, away from the paint cans John? Also please have a window or door open.

Guys, he hasn't given a shit his whole life and he isn't about to now. The damage has already been done anyhow. Just try not to start a fire.

#5319 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

What is the condition of the hot plate? Grease must be removed

you mean the flavor?

If John starts removing the old grease, then he's going to have to add grease when he cooks next time. You know how hard the security guys are on an old pensioner checking the Crisco daily, waiting for the quarter off sale?

#5327 1 year ago

An actual semi serious suggestion would be at the pop cluster entrance up top, maybe you could install a controlled drop target. Then you can capture a ball in the pop area, and hit it to try and release it from the pop area. Stern's Kiss Premium does a neat trick with it's drop target where it can flick backwards

#5363 1 year ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

What mech would be used to represent coach’s ego?

I still think the "giant captive ball" in the design needs to be a beer can toy. Covers all bases that way.

Plus it's a good visual for "knocking back beers" to qualify something like a 6 pack, 12 pack, case, keg, etc multiball. Add in some burp noises to class it up. Maybe the super jackpot is "vomitting" green shots all over the playfield

#5367 1 year ago

I have an idea for a hot plate toy.

It's shaped like a hot plate with a skillet toy on a hinge. In the hot plate there is a magnet. A ball is loaded onto the hot plate skillet. It starts to "cook" which is the magnet pulsing the ball, slowly pulsing more as it gets sizzling hot. Then a solenoid fires to tilt the frying pan, spilling the ball onto the playfield, starting grease fire multiball. Put out firey orange shots before they turn burn the workshop down

#5382 1 year ago
    Quoted from cliff_clavin:

How about a budget? So you don’t blow $25,000 trying to build the machine. Might be a good idea, or not…….
    you need to imagine it’s your own hard earned money at risk, not some mini whale who can afford the financial loss.

Nonsense

The more Ice spends the bigger the win is for all of us. John, Ice's spite, our collective amusement.

Spare no costs on building this while you barely subside on cheap high caloric foods

#5393 1 year ago

if it's Texas themed, play the knocker to

The stars at night are big and bright
    knock, knock, knock, knock
    Deep in the heart of Texas

#5412 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Also WOW beef is expensive in canada. Normally $6.06 for a half pound of tough meat. Sheesh! For $3 off though...not bad.

It's Canadough, not real money

Just reviewed the pm from the coach & his ideas. Seems like a full fledge promotion for the State Of Texas, everything but the kitchen sink. Who ever is going to be doing the art it sounds like it will be busy like the Nitro Ground Shaker glass, maybe the coach needs to reach out to Dave Christensen.

Yee-haw

Is it too late to make it a wide body, because everything is bigger in Texas

#5425 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Well, get crackin', I need some kind of progress to report on tomorrows weekly update!

It's only 11am and you want him crackin open beers?

#5428 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Well, my enthusiasm for this project just sank about 4 fathoms.

Trailer Trash and Texas Themed aren't that dissimilar...

Still plenty of chances for drinkin, shootin, and other activities where the "G" is dropped at the end of the word

#5430 1 year ago

Ice was busy getting busy

#5433 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

There happens to be a lot to do in Vegas! That's the point.
    With the theme potential here, maybe several people will hop off the train. Beer drinkin, honkey tonks, the Alamo, Gulf Coast redneck riviera, Oil rigs, cowboys, horses, "keeping Austin weird", Longhorns, Aggies and Red Raiders, the Panhandle, Amarillo by Morning, and all of Kimmy's Exes live in Texas.....

Did you get a CCr? Seems exactly what you're looking for, but without the football

#5447 1 year ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

In order to "hop off the train," you would actually need to be "on the train."

If you're posting on page 109, you're on the train

#5453 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

We have gone from Trailer Park Boys to Trailer Trash to Totally Texas, and still awaiting the blueprint to be completed almost 2 weeks in.

Jon did his part. This is about printing completed blueprints now...

The print should be in any day now. And hopefully correctly printed to scale, otherwise it may be October before a power tool hits wood.

#5457 1 year ago

when you tilt it needs a giant "DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS" pop up on the display (or alphanumeric)

on plunges, we need the sounds of "yeehaw" and beer cans being opened

grasshopper sounds when no switches have been hit for a while

#5462 1 year ago

Quick, lets rip off the James Bond rocket in that game and put it in this for SpaceX

I do kinda wonder if that missile moves in Bond. I doubt it. But it would be neat to see a missile silo open up with a rocket raising from it. And when its down it could be a gobble hole for a subway entrance.

#5471 1 year ago
    Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Ya, a base 10 measuring system is SO stupid.
    Countries using Imperial Measurement.
    USA
    Liberia
    Myanmar
    Countries using Metric
    Every other Country on Earth
    We’re SO strange up here in Canada with our crazy units of measurement?!!

At least you guys know you’re strange

Now excuse me, I need to drive a few furlongs to the gas station for half of a hogshead of fuel

624 posts in this topic match your search for posts by treybo69. You are on page 1 of 3.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching?tu=treybo69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.