Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1158 Summary of downsides Posted by pookycade (1 year ago)

Post #5133 Programmer Posted by Mr68 (1 year ago)

Post #5520 2nd installment of $1k USD Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #5946 Week 3 summary Posted by Beechwood (1 year ago)

Post #6424 Thread summary for week 5 Posted by Beechwood (1 year ago)

Post #7332 How to reset your password Posted by Jvspin (1 year ago)

Post #8068 Another $1k USD provided ($5k now?) Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #9810 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #10008 Another installment of $1k USD ($6k total now?) Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lorddrek.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#125 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Great t shirt idea I.m.o
    [quoted image]

Don’t quit your day job…

#150 1 year ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

My brother-in-law ran into Ricky at the liquor store last weekend. He was in line behind him. Still had the same hairdoo and he bought a 40 of cheap vodka.

Should be cheap to license then. John is dealing with a familiar commodity…

#185 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

You never know since it is only 1 investor being searched out. Still got another 3 weeks & a few days to go.

It’s like Christmas only in reverse. As each day passes the excitement and anticipation decreases…

#202 1 year ago

I’m surprised John hasn’t put more effort into explaining his offer and subsequent plan. The money is not for him. It’s for a contracted creative team. And a big box of parts. That in theory would be assembled by him. I’m sure he has gimmicks to make this machine unique. Again probably contracted out. And UV flatbed printing out the ass. Again more contractors.

And there I think is the biggest problem. I recently read his 50 page repro playfield fiasco so for me it feels like yesterday. I also helped me understand him and the shortcomings associated with his plan. Contractors. It was always the contractors. Taking forever. Screwing shit up. Losing things. It was never ending… And he was sick more than half the time. But I digress.

John I know your reading this. Plan C: Build a flipper. By yourself. With your own box of parts. Then go sail that thing around until you can harpoon that whale. Anything else is cheating the logical progression and everyone has seen how that goes…

#211 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

There are a lot of very successful and famous people that have filed bankruptcy only to come back to reinvent themselves and thrive!
    I would never put anyone’s efforts down no matter how implausible it might sound.
    Because I’m wondering who you think you are to condemn and judge others? lol:
    Go get em Big John, I think you are just now hitting your stride. Make it happen!

I agree. He went from owning a home and 20 really friggen nice pins to losing everything while his health floundered and still managed to produce dirt cheap playfields for most everyone as promised. The fact that he doesn’t talk about how or if that’s linked to his bankruptcy tells me he’s probably legally gagged as even he has alluded to.

You all need to give the poor guy a break. Let him sink or swim. He’s earned it…

#398 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Why? 1st he said it's a 100% Custom and now it's not. What else is going to change that we won't know about until too late? There's been too much fraud in the pinball world we should not be encouraging this type of behavior. To be fair I guess he hasn't committed fraud at this point.
    Put your money down though.

So much to be concerned about and reusing a production ramp is what you choose to hang your hat on? Now that’s pretty bizarre actually…

I have spent many hours looking at all the ramps Marco has for sale and imagine how I could incorporate them into a homebrew. That alone makes my design unoriginal? GTFO…

#495 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Maybe we can all donate one part for the cause. Maybe an extra coil, switch, flipper bat etc. Between all of us we can give John a real head start.
    I have a premium birch plywood (playfield size) I could donate if interested. Time's ticking John, you need to start moving if the timeline is to be realized!

I got the ramps. Let’s keep this bitch 100% custom…

#500 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Ya know I’d actually give $50 to this, like a go fund me. The entertainment value of the ensuing likely failure would be worth the price of admission.
    I mean ya lose $50 then ya lose $50. I think John is hoping that this attitude can be engendered in said “whale” on a scale of $100K, not $50

That would be plan D.

#501 1 year ago

E83DB46A-91D6-4130-AE59-5530F9A8AA28 (resized).jpegE83DB46A-91D6-4130-AE59-5530F9A8AA28 (resized).jpeg

I got the metal man. Let’s do this…

#503 1 year ago

I got many metal shops, powder coating, cabinet builder & finisher. Along with my contractors from the past. Along with many personal build skills that people do not believe.

That are offering to help you for free? That is so awesome man!

#532 1 year ago

One day we will look back on this thread and say that guy was a genius..!

#565 1 year ago

Yes the phone number works,& someone sent me a call from some comic club (recording). The count was 4, & I was at a local collectors house. Played Fish Tales, The Getaway, & RollerCoaster Tycoon last night.

I saw a mode high score that said Greatwich on Walking Dead when I was there losing my ass today. Was that you?

#566 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I'm an impulsive clown to explain my earlier posts in this thread. I like to make jokes in general and I try not to take life too seriously.
    (yes, I sometimes fail)
    In my opinion, John Greatwich would make a great employee if someone would give him a chance. He has knowledge, skill and best of all, he has passion. I'm not stupid enough to start a pinball company but I would definitely give him an opportunity if I did. And I mean that.
    His quest for the great whale is ill conceived and destined for failure. But that sort of thing is beyond his skill level and I think if properly used he could be a great company asset.
    I hope someone will give him a chance and that's what I think this is really all about. A creative but odd employment campaign.
    Note to Mr. Whale: I would advise you muzzle John from Pinside as he can be his own worst enemy.
    Good luck, John

My sentiments exactly. Agreed…

#567 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

I saw a mode high score that said Greatwich on Walking Dead when I was at Arcadia losing my ass today. Was that you?

#604 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

And then there is the missing LE that somehow got lost

I’m sorry but if I burned up 60 million dollars of other peoples money in the most fantastic ways I would have make sure that “LE” got lost too…

#753 1 year ago
    Quoted from EternitytoM83:

I'm starting to think this whole "whale" thing is an elaborate ploy by John to find someone who's willing to talk to him on the phone.
    Hey John, maybe you'll have more luck if you settle for texting. It's 2022, nobody talks on the phone anymore.

I’d love to talk to John. I’m just waiting to have a question he may have an answer for.

One of the problems I had the last time I spoke with him is he could only think in big terms. I like things my own hands can handle even when bringing in right “contractor” seems to make more sense.

I think we are seeing this play out here…

#901 1 year ago

Do be determined since the project might still die. The next stage is getting the approval of a TPB prototype. Could be the only 1 Big whale pimped out version, or up to 10 mini whales. We will soon find out what the status is. So far there is interest in a few $10k US games, so the project is a go at this stage. Proved there is interest, & interested buyers for one.
    No one has changed my mind, & still on track.

Thank you for keeping us updated.

#939 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Looking like this perhaps...
    [quoted image]

If this screen was tied into the playfield in some interactive way I think that would be groundbreaking, innovative, and generally wicked cool…

#1016 1 year ago

Whales are gamblers.

I disagree. Whales are players who have deep pockets and are willing to dive deeper than the competition. They outspend everyone else and end up being able to stay under the longest before the need to surface. They also coincidentally end up supporting the rest of the pod thru great financial sacrifice.

#1086 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rezdog:

[quoted image]

Damn I wish I could drink like that…

#1087 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

So John. Let's say you take 30k from Iceman and some other idiots. What happens when the money is gone and you've failed to produce 3 machines? Because that will be what happens. This project wouldn't work at 100k it sure as shit won't work at 30k. You have NO IDEA how much any of this costs or how long it takes.
    Are you on the hook for the 30k, or is there something in writing saying this is all speculative with no guarantee of return? I know you've learned nothing from Pinside history so let me remind you, Skit B and Jpoop both had aggressive action taken on them by people who felt jilted.

Everybody gets a box of parts…

#1171 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:Hey guys! Counter offer. So a new car costs 45k right? I am going to design a new car for 60k!
    Any dumb ass sucker whales want in? Iceman, this has your name written all over it. PM me whales!
    Oh qualifications! One time I changed a tire, so I know exactly how to do this. Also I like beer.

Not even close to similar. It’s more like “I’ve worked on cars my whole adult life, rebuilt an engine or two, do some really nice body work, and know a guy with a spray gun. So trust me when I say it can be done within an inhuman timeframe.”

I think that metaphor is far more accurate…

#1185 1 year ago

Actually I used a spray gun myself on all the playfields I did with waterbourne interior gloss varethane. 2 coats to seal the bare wood with inserts installed myself also. Hundreds over the years! I can go on about other stuff I can do to make a game.

No your right it was the printing you contracted out. It was hard to transfer that over to the car build metaphor in any meaningful way…

#1236 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I have just come to the conclusion that John is fucking with us all and having a good time

I would have thought the same thing had I not both spoken with and seen him take the mic in a seminar.

Very passionate but a huge bull in the China shop…

#1245 1 year ago

I remain wholly convinced that for a boutique pinball machine one really just needs a good layout and you can then plaster artwork and integrate a coded theme after. If your hooked on a particular toy or mech that can most certainly be shoe horned in after…

#1247 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

If you build just one you don't need the license, right?

Apparently there is a caveat to this. See the Dragons Lair build for more info…

#1256 1 year ago

It is different in that it is going to a buyer(s), & not remain a homebrew. I intend to get the ok or it dies.

As a homebrew to be built and held by the same person, no
    but to sell it - yes

So I posted an interesting and relevant tidbit regarding this for anyone who is willing to follow the path I gave a map for but who wants to search or even read anymore. Allow me to summarize:

Foreign guy builds a homebrew of Dragons Lair. Friggen epic build with features you would expect to be found on the most limited of releases.

Uses artwork and other IP features unique to the video game incorporates it to great effect.

As the game reaches completion something bizarre happens. Some postings are made by the maker seeking support for the solicitation of machines being made in the likeness of this fantastic creation.

Now here’s where things go off the rails and I’m working from memory however recent so the order or details might be off. Machine maker gets a cease & desist from the IP holder. Maker claims he never solicited the game and his account was hijacked by some known third party. Regardless IP holders say in no uncertain terms that even showing the machine in public will be met with lawsuits of the most unrelenting manner. A crushed creator crawls back into his den overcome with grief that his life’s work will never see the light of day…

Now I took two things away from the above experience. The first is anyone can sue for anything regardless of laws in place. And a big enough opponent will win thru attrition. You see that everyday. The second is it is far better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. The above tale is a perfect example of this.

So I am very curious to see how this works for John as I believe he is quite familiar with both the law and gag orders. I do hope this journey continues to be well documented but will not be surprised if this suddenly “Dies on the vine.”

#1340 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

"I'm going to get knocked up and delivery a fully working baby in 5 months"
    "That isn't possible"
    "No, it's possible"

It’s actually quite possible. Premature delivery and/or C-section come to mind. Now the final product ends up needing a huge level of support. So much so that it is generally avoided unless completely necessary so why someone would willing choose this as the preferred route is beyond logical explanation.

Just trying to keep these metaphors as accurate as possible…

#1343 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think it just has to be said:
    David Fix.

Being a new kid on the block can you direct me to any relevant threads that would enlighten me as to the above statement? You have mentioned this a couple of times now and pinball industry history is intriguing to me…

#1365 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

Being a new kid on the block can you direct me to any relevant threads that would enlighten me as to the above statement? You have mentioned this a couple of times now and pinball industry history is intriguing to me…

Ok thanks I took it the wrong way. I was there at Pintastic in one of the seminars when David did really try to stick up for and support John. It was a surreal exchange where John dominated the open mic and while just trying to be helpful ended up being far too aggressive with his single subject message. In all fairness even John realized his presentation was poor and has apologized profusely. But seeing how that went down gives appreciative understanding to the body of the Greatwich message and why it is shaped the way it is…

#1439 1 year ago

Yes I am just some stupid beer drinking pinball dreamer. People will soon find out. Unfortunately almost all my spare parts (which there was a lot) went to others keeping games going. Guess what I sold my house to pay off doing pinball projects & owning new Stern & Jersey Jack pinballs. Still went into personal bankruptcy, I am a open book. Barely afford to live in a 2 bedroom slum apartment, in a known crime area. I have been using the bus the last 7 years because I cannot afford a car & the expenses. My trip to Pintastic will likely take 4-6 months to pay. The only true enjoyment I & my wife have is drinking beer. But I am happy that the majority of people trashing me & trying to end my whale search do not seem to have any crushing financial problems. The few whales I have in my pod know full well my financial history & my past. They know the risks & the possible rewards.
    PS: I am living such a rich life that I do not need storage units, & all our household furnishing will go into the landfill when we leave this apartment.

That’s friggen sad man. If your Trailer Park machine doesn’t make it I’ll give you an all expenses paid trip to my place and you can give me pointers on setting up shop. Spray booth, playfield theory, etc.

Quoted from vdojaq:

John, on a human level, it's very admirable that you make do with what you are given and realize this is what I have, I will make it work. I don't think any of us could tear you down over that. The fact that your wife has stood by you through all of it, says a lot.
    I have been one of your MAJOR critics. So now, I want to reward you if you can put your idea to fruition where your mouth is. You deliver a fully complete and working as it should pinball to Pintastic that was built by your hands from scratch, off of your "plan" and the money of your "mini whales", I, Jack Shields, will personally hand you or have delivered $500 CASH for your pocket. No, bringing a rethemed Bally from 1979 does not count. It has to be a fresh build.
    But wait, it's not that easy. In order for it to happen, you will open a private room or chat line and keep me updated with progress. In return, I will agree not to reveal your updates.
    If anyone else wants to get in on this, stand up, and let's go. Post your pledge and I will keep a running total. Must be a minimum of $50.

I’ll match your $500. The caveat being progress reports…

#1462 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Wow! You make an offer, he declines because he's worried the information will be made public (a reasonable concern IMO, especially with more people in the 'private' group), and you start insulting him.

The info would be safe with me. I would be honored to be a silent spectator.

#1467 1 year ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

After all the SHIT you gave Haggis for MONTHS about Fathom up until the day they officially revealed it, and not having any intent to buy one?
    You demanded pics of the production line, built games, employees etc, so I think you should hold yourself to the same amount of transparency you demanded of them.

The difference being with Haggis outside money was involved…

#1473 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

He already said no.

Quoted from DBLM:

Well, there you go. Deal's off the table.

I’m not concerned with a timeline as I am about keeping abreast of the project. I think it would be an exciting adventure I’d be willing to pay seating for…

#1512 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

IMO I think the reason John is declining these pledges, is that he doesn't have the plan confirmed enough to start taking funds, and he knows he may not deliver anything. He is being honest enough not to take money until he knows he will be able to go forward with the build. And not wanting to share to too many, and have things get out before he has things nailed down. And if it dies as he said it might many times, then you would all have torches and be wanting your money back! His stance on this is Admirable if you ask me...

I agree with the assessment. The pledged money was to be delivered if all goals were met within a specific timeframe. I think a milestone type arrangement with a more flexible timeframe would work better for John. Something like 20% for a flippable whitewood. Another 20% for working code. Quality art and video package applied 20%. Working playable machine ready for presentation 20%. And finally the same pin on the floor of a trade show 20%. Those parameters are fair and achievable for all parties.

#1555 1 year ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

I like drunk John better, Sober-Man is kinda a jerk.

It’s not like you all didn’t ask for it…

#1576 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Maybe you should talk to your broke buddy Johnny about drinking problems. I can easily afford mine.

Everyone is busting his ass about his drinking problem and not being able to afford it while he has clearly pointed out his solution: Shit beer…

#1584 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Isn't shit beer better than no beer? I mean one man's shit beer is another man's champagne.
    John, what kind of beer do you drink? Molson Canadian? Old Vienna?

I agree wholeheartedly. Been there too. $20 for the week meant lots of popcorn, rice, and potatoes to be washed down with those 40 ouncers…

#1616 1 year ago
    Quoted from NoQuarters:

What a thread !
    I'd consider being in as a very small minnow or chum at 5 or 10 bucks.

Krill…

#1623 1 year ago

I always buy a 36 pack of bud cans for my wife (suitcase of beer).

I’m trying to keep uninvolved parties out of the ongoing fray but the pictures your painting here are not pretty ones…

#1748 1 year ago

So pretty much what I got from that interview was that the plan is for a homebrew. Just not a $100k one anymore…

#1780 1 year ago
    Quoted from movingpictures:

Why, the "I'm leaving Pinside door," of course!

That’s not John’s way and he has been commended for it…

#1803 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I don’t understand how there are 2 or more mini-whales, well John, how many do you have? I understand you said the full $10k is not due yet, rather incremental deposits are made. So you must have required an initial deposit of $1k or $2k at least? that must mean you have drafted a contract spelling out specifics and have gotten them signed by the mini-whales, right? Otherwise, you don’t have Jack.

You can harpoon a whale but it ain’t yours until it’s in the boat…

#2065 1 year ago

Yep that’s a no. TPB dies on the vine…

#2230 1 year ago

Man I need some more beers tonight but I will pass.

I’d wager this earlier decision has been hastily revisited…

#2441 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

GWJ, do you not see the issues with your response? This is a business you were talking to, not a bunch of nerds on a forum.
    1. Threatening them with a deadline is unprofessional and ineffective.
    2. You said you "continue" to reach out to the boys. That is a present tense of what you are doing. What is she supposed to think? That you aren't? That is basically telling this woman that you are going behind her back, her job, to secure the license.
    3. Telling her she sounds negative... that is like telling a woman she is being grumpy. Bad decision.
    4. Do you think she cares what your timeline is? Do you think she wants to be rushed into a decision? Do you think she knows what a bunch of pinball/amusement acronyms are?
    This is why people hire lawyers to negotiate such things. Tens of thousands of dollars (US) and that is if it is a simple process, just for lawyers.
    I hope as you move forward you realize there are certain things that you simply can't do on your own if you want professional results.
    And for gods sake, start the build now!

Holy hell! That was a reply he sent to the agent? With all the tripe posted I thought that was just an update for the masses…

Oh man John. I said in the beginning when I was the only one sticking up for you a manager and secretary is what you need. Stay in the shop and do what you do best because this ain’t it.

#2663 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Yeesh this is gonna be tight. They really need 10 orders of this for it to begin to make sense and give some breathing room.

That’s what I have been thinking. No meat is left on the bone with just a machine or two. It would be in everyone’s best interest to build 10 or 20. Bring the costs down and money is left for everyone to get paid.

If the public gets to see the layout and progress there is a real possibility just that could happen. This pre buy or high and dry marketing scheme really doesn’t match the product being pushed.

But maybe that is the unspoken plan. Build one, two, or even a few and then let the buzz sell itself.

John your doing really awesome getting a pro dev on board. Just like you said you would. And you have all your contractors lined up. Just don’t sell yourself or anyone else short…

#2680 1 year ago
    Quoted from sanctumwear:

Street level games were an experiment by Gottlieb towards designing a simpler, single level (no ramps), slightly smaller and cheaper game for operators who thought pinball machines were too expensive. They did not sell very well, only six models were made in 1990-1991.
    Silver Slugger
    Vegas
    Deadly Weapon
    Title Fight
    Car Hop
    Hoops

The mere fact that not one of those rings a bell speaks for itself…

#2721 1 year ago

I might have to find another source for a 5 bank drop target assembly. You

ebay.com link: itm

Buy with confidence. Good seller. Always better and cleaner than how it looks in pics…

#2750 1 year ago

I’m excited to see the Norris layout. They tend to have classic appeal.

#2763 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My fave part of any Whaler post is when he just throws this in the middle of a paragraph for no apparent reason.
    I may start doing similar in all of my posts.
    Something like
    "Look, people have been saying the bubble will burst for well over 20 years. And yet, it never happens. Regardless of who is President, or whether or not there's a recession. I'm looking forward to an evening of mainlining speedballs, maybe with a Morphine chaser, followed by a furious drugged out masturbation session that may or may not result in my humiliating death. People simply WANT to believe that they'll soon be able to pick up Addams Families for $3,000, which is why this dumb fantasy persists. To them I say: Maybe this time you finally cracked the code and it'll happen!"

You New Yorkers really know how to party…

#2908 1 year ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

See that’s what I don’t get at all. No license is needed for a home brew. He could have built the TPB pin he wanted in the first place, taken it to TPF and if it was decent and there is interest then maybe he tries to get the license and produce it. Just seems like this whole thing was bass-ackwards.

Has that ever worked though? Making a theme pin that wows the IP holder so much they strike a up a deal sounds like a fairy tale…

#3033 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Trailer park tornado multiball please
    "We were in a mobile home, and I think God must really hate mobile homes, Andy, cuz tornadoes always attack them first. They get very mobile."
    [quoted image]

Interestingly enough HUD Section 8 vouchers don’t work for most trailers here in New England because they usually lack hurricane tie downs. Very typical of them to apply regional factors nationwide…

Now how about food stamps?There should be a mode where you can trade them for beer and cigarettes to get bonus points.

#3336 1 year ago

Key part found & ordered. Going back in time. Will get new targets after testing. Only 2 available, so max of 2 games will be built.
    https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-5621-05

Make that three…

#3864 1 year ago

Thank God I have a good industry vet to lay down the foundation for the playfield design. Jon Norris, a wealth of information. Still going through the BOM list he did to make this build easier to do. To have the parts needed for a working whitewood in September. Here is the first part to arrive like I stated from Marco Specialties. Working on my Pinball Life & Pinball Resource order this week.
    [quoted image]

I hope a box of parts came along with that or shipping is gonna be a killer…

#4165 1 year ago

I mean, any sane investor (no offense ICE) would read about his daily beer counts and run away.

Counts that appear to have recently increased by the way. Purely coincidental I’m sure. It is the end of summer after all…

#4171 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

The same sign shop from this post?
    [quoted image]

Yeah probably but come on they are only cutting one playfield. How long could that take..?

#4238 1 year ago

It would be really sad to shut this thread down before the playfield party even gets started. I hope everyone can at least keep it together for that long…

#4255 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Wait a second, you are the very 1st crying about people going to the mods and complaining about you. Now you have the audacity to ask the mods to shut this thread down??? Put on your big boy pants and show some restraint. Neither YOU or JOHN are required to post or reply to anything.

Yeah I am not too impressed with the whole “My ball and I’m taking it home..” attitude iceban44 has been slinging around lately.

I think it’s great John got his whale of an idea off the ground since being conceived on the Pinside lobby floor and that is where it should stay. Clearly that is how he wants it and nobody should force him to change it regardless of financial clout.

If this build gets pulled into the shadows after everything so far it will validate everything last thing that has ever been said about the donor.

This is a community event don’t ruin it…

#4546 1 year ago

Why not the P3-roc that is all in stock no supply issues there…

#4563 1 year ago

Wrong check their site.

Pinball Life bro…

#4617 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Are you seriously telling me none of the creatives on the thread wants to pitch GWJ ideas for a company name (and maybe logo)??

I’m mentally referring to it as a Greatwich and obviously any logo needs to involve a whale…

#4854 1 year ago

This piece of shit mdf is testing only, & I do not care how many holes or mistakes are made.

You may not care but that shit panel certainly does. Just wait until something has to be moved an 1/8” (3-4mm) and the hole turns to dust… I’ll bet you could hit up one of your local contractors for a used sheet of plywood for pocket change or beer money.

Wait a minute I think I just figured out the problem…

#4942 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

We've been through the preaching to GWJ about the drinking 27 times now. That horse is dead. Let it be please!!!
    Now, on to printing blue prints!

On with the prints John. It’s been into your schedule and it’s been nothing but beer pitchers and EM repair. Time to pull up the bootstraps. Frankly this should have already been done but par for the course I gather…

Here I will help you out:

Print 101
    3667 Strawberry Hill rd. ST 200
    Halifax. NS
    902-442-4149

Yes they do blueprints and architectural drawings. Prices start at .69 cents a page. Go get em!

#4947 1 year ago

I like this format over a calendar version.

#4956 1 year ago

Beer in hand. Right now. Guaranteed…

Printed plans? Not so sure about that one.

#5021 1 year ago

John your sports theory goes more like the game has just started and the star player decides now is a good time to go take a dump. Your team has the USA $$$ and a supportive fanbase. Start playing like the professional you think you are. JFC man enough with the lethargic mindset. You got everything you asked for now get to it...

#5026 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I did my best research for a first week recap:
    -Coach gave him $200 to stock the pop machine. The price says 35 cents but it is only a quarter, don't be fooled.
    -He got his wife a suitcase of Bud and some cash
    -Coach went looking for an artist and went silent, most likely in the artist rich region called Las Vegas
    -He received parts from Pinball Life, which he gently sorted into used soda cardboard boxes
    -He serviced the following machines for rent money: Jurrasic Park, Twister, Sopranos, Bowling Queen. He watched an operator service a Batman pin
    -He lost 400 nickels gambling at a local watering hole.
    -He thought about testing the MDF. A few days later he rolled some pinballs over it. By most accounts it was a success.
    -He checked on his buddies 4 weed plants.
    -He ate a Kale Salad, 3 days of Genoa hot salami on free rolls, and cooked some pork chops dangerously close to combustibles. He had pepperoni that looked suspiciously like a large turd.
    -Coach offered more money, he refused.
    -He tried in vain to open the file to print the blueprint for his MDF playfield.
    -He had 26 individual beers and 3 pitchers of beer (from what was posted)
    -He went shopping at the local grocery whose security followed him through the store, until they realized he was just "some poor retired guy looking for dollar off stickers"

I suspect these weekly updates will go well with the timer countdown. Please keep it up!

#5056 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

"Celebrate" might not be the word you're looking for.

Its close though. "Cerebrate" is the business at hand and lots of it...

#5093 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

He doesnt waste time, its all part of the master plan.
    And its going, about as well as planned!

I work in mental health so I see this kind of stuff a lot. Everything is out of their control and everyone is out to get them. John still believes someone else maliciously messed up that TPB license. He has said it many times.

Until you break the cycle the same shit continues to happen. Break the cycle John…

#5099 1 year ago

You cannot do any of the above and sit at the bar all afternoon. Everyone must have heard the saying “Hold my beer…” by now. Don’t worry John has got this…

#5166 1 year ago
    Quoted from parsonsaj:

Was another task attempted today? Or are we holding until the next attempt to print the file next week, or not?

Might as well be next week. Nothing happens on a Friday…

#5172 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

We were all waiting with fierce anticipation on the quote from the printer. Then beer talk happened and everything went awry... again.

I paid 11 bucks for mine. No quote needed. Just showed up, opened wallet, and walked out with a roll under my arm. Crazy and impulsive I know…

#5174 1 year ago

I'm not sure which of the following have already been completed, are in progress, or are scheduled for later:
    1. Visit local bar to relax with a few (beers)
    2. Go out for Friday night social
    3. Play pinball
    4. Drink some Bud cans
    5. Watch people smoke:
    5a. Marijuana
    5b. E-cigarettes
    5c. Cigars
    5d. Cigarettes
    Does anyone have recommendations for project management software that could be used for this project, even if only by pinside for tracking and visualization?

I really liked the weekly synopsis format. Really sums up the efficiency of this project quite well.

#5248 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

No one did. He turned down free money because he didn't understand how it works. But Coach kept the dream alive!
    Still awaiting a name so I can update the title of this thread.

12 more hours until the next weekly summary can be compiled…

#5258 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Ugh, I really wish a $100,000 whale would have been found! I cant imagine what we would see have unveiled in Johns brothers driveway.

How do you think the bookkeeping of this build is being managed? Thru Iceman’s bank statement or perhaps something a little more detailed?

9B32934B-C47F-4B2B-9F40-D2E25F9E11F7 (resized).jpeg9B32934B-C47F-4B2B-9F40-D2E25F9E11F7 (resized).jpeg
    #5606 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:P00

I was going to ask about chicken.
    Also, yes get a crock pot.

As much sense as it makes the only friggen way John will understand how awesome a crock pot would be is if someone shows up with one, fills it, and plugs it in. Until that point those stubborn heels will stay just where they are…

#5611 1 year ago

All the other forms of cooking, same as hot air. Good for others, I prefer my enjoyment on electric grill. Using foil & staying with what I like that is cheap. Still have some healthy choices to balance things out with high risk foods. Beer I will likely never give up, even if my Doctors says to give it up.

No John your still plugging your drill in while the rest of the world uses cordless…

1 week later
    #5886 1 year ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

I think what I struggle with the most in regards to this project is that you are 6 months from TPF and you don't have a shooting whitewood yet. I think you should reset your timelines and get there when you get there. Then this thread can return to the fun time thread (and project) it started out as.
    All I can see right now is massive stress and an overly aggressive/hopeful/optimistic timeline with an incomplete team. I don't mean to sound overly pessimistic, only trying to inject a small bit of reality here. I don't know who your team's engineer is. Who your team's programmer is. Who is doing sound and assets. Who is setting up your computer to run MPF. Who is doing your light shows. Etc etc etc.
    FAST has a backlog of orders we are working through and hope to have the new FAST Bundles ready to go by Pinball Expo.
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

boom.

#5887 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Why not pick up a P3-ROC, those are in stock.

He said they were out of stock weeks ago and crickets chirped when a link to Pinball Life was provided.

Kudos for FAST telling it like it is…

#5889 1 year ago

Hey John check out my discount lunch today. Surrounded by my first attempt at running metal thru a slip roll. My homebrew ass is dragging too but at least I got a big box of parts…

AE7D2CDB-ED24-4FB0-97F3-D833E76A24FF (resized).jpegAE7D2CDB-ED24-4FB0-97F3-D833E76A24FF (resized).jpeg

#5984 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

180 day build. We are at day 23 or 13% of the days gone. What do we have?

A pre whitewood with a few holes in it. And 2 boxes of parts…

#6043 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I had thought about that very same scenario. Especially with the all-star cast of Coach, Jon & John. It would be the ultimate ruse. I just don't see it.

It would be work than what has actually gone on so I’d say no too…

#6118 1 year ago

Still thinking what to put in next to upper right flipper. Might be another pop bumper as suggested or scoop:
    https://www.pinballlife.com/scoop-weldment-assembly-with-open-back.html
    [quoted image]

Forgive my ignorance as I have not done this before but wouldn’t it be easier just to glue and screw thru those plans rather than cut them all up?

#6171 1 year ago

Have unused tilt warnings cash out as an end of ball bonus. I’d swear I’ve already seen something like this already…

#6204 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

John says a functioning whitewood will be complete

Programmer will not start until November. The plan is to have a whitewood cut late October.

With the speed of this project and the most current info to date it would imply just a CNC cut playfield. Not populated. But maybe this is where John may surprise us with some nut driving wizardry…

We are still in the patience testing “MDF Panel Shim Fit” phase that John has created to streamline the whole manufacturing process. AP and Spooky might want to take notes if they hope to release future titles any faster.

#6212 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Only needs to know MDF, keep up.

And shim tech. Using only common household materials. Let’s not forget that…

#6374 1 year ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

If it were me I'd get a cheap shear/brake/roll and hack up ball guides any way I could. Hell, I'd make them out of anything I could find to get a shooting whitewood going.

Wood glue and cardboard laminate would be the ultra low cost solution that could be done while getting drunk even. A win/win if you ask me…

Also glue gun John. Glue gun… JPop the shit out of that MDF panel!

Alas there is no way but John’s way.

A month ago it was implied his vendors were all lined up and ready to go. This month we find out he is trying to get it done as a walk in customer and has to switch fabricators because of it. This is the plan print revisited will repeat itself every step taken.

But let’s look at it this way: John is having fun living his dream. We are having fun being critical of it. Iceman is under no disillusion as to what he is getting, a truly unique original Norris design. Someday…

It’s all good. It’s a Greatwich.

#6411 1 year ago

I was going to post the same observations about John’s manufacturing history. He’s a nice guy who won’t give up but he also is going to capitalize on every adversity while going at a snails pace. That has been proven time and time again.

With that said it is a great experience to ride along with his adventures as long as one has no investment or expectations. I am really looking forward to nearing the flipping stage. The project will truly shift gears at that point.

#6468 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I might have missed it, but why what were you critical of Haggis about? Those guys are pretty solid and seem to put out decent enough games.

Lack of transparency. One of the few things John has an abundance of…

#6547 1 year ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

The mindset that this is a "build" is the problem. It is not just turning the screw, this is a project to create a pinball machine, not to build one.

I beg to differ. This is absolutely just a build. Pro plans delivered on a silver platter. The base code will probably be the same. John can handle the rest. That is why there is no pressure.

Can’t print plans? Just wait a week and try again. Can’t get metal fabricated? Again try another and wait a week for them to say no. Rinse and repeat.

Like John and Ice I have no doubt this will be done. After all this is just some glued inserts and screws to wood. Everything else is someone else’s responsibility.

My concern if invested would be how refined and polished will it end up being. Frankly if someone sent me thousands to build my dream I’d never set foot in a bar but spend the savings on good food and beer, hole up in the shop and multi-task the shit out of this project.

#6559 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I think the wiring is tedious, but not especially difficult. The difficulty is mostly in avoiding electromagnetic interferences, which is essentially keep the high power lines away from low voltage communication lines. Beyond that, it's hours and hours of crimping wires and documenting hardware addresses and troubleshooting notes (example: this switch connects to board id 2, bank 1, pin 3 via a blue wire with a black trace)
    I think it took me around twenty hours to learn P3-ROC and wire everything? 95% of my switches and lamps were correct on first boot up. Only needed to switch a few hardware addresses in the software.
    If I wanted my rats nest to look better maybe another 10 hours to obsessively manage the wires with a hundred little zip ties.
    Tedious work, not difficult work

Yes and John has shown ability to handle this. So I should add “Crimp wires” to build tasks…

#6567 1 year ago

I’m starting to realize John enjoys being enveloped by adversity because he literally manufactures it…

#6585 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Nah. He just lives his life, we make the drama, because we are basing his life on our values.

I think that is a wonderful view you have adopted.

#6634 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Oct 8th. No work in this machine at all in Oct so far?

Looking for a metal fabricator now. It’s all according to plan.

#6685 1 year ago

As you can see he is not coming on here to say too much incase this gets shutdown, & people want to throw all the blame on him.

Could not be more wrong. Nobody blames him. More like thankful for making this all possible. You should be too. Like really thankful.

Personally I am happy you have not bailed on the regular updates John. It’s all in good fun and you have been a good sport. No worries with this excess of everything (except time) needed to get the project done.

Looking forward to flipping before the new year…

#6775 1 year ago

Let’s all just chill a bit here. Pump those brakes…

As entertaining as the madness is we really need to make it to the build phase. I have a strong suspicion that’s when the fun really starts.

#6779 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Do you mean like the paneling whitewood?
    Yeah, it certainly be most interesting anyway.

That is certainly some sort of octo-manufacturing we probably have not seen the last of.

Pinball is easy… Or not. Or it dies.

#6805 1 year ago

I was another who would have thrown a little cash towards the build for insider info and some memorabilia. The MDF panel pre whitewood would have been great for that.

But it’s good that never got off the ground. Money is not the issue and more of it would only complicate things. The current arrangement is perfect.

#6814 1 year ago

I think some of us are coming to realize this. John is a likeable guy. I chatted him up at Pintastic. It’s real easy to get frustrated with his “unique” take on things that’s for sure.

#6980 1 year ago

This has to be one of the longest breaks since the start of the thread.

Either John has drowned in the whiskey trough or is busy pimping out that MDF panel with shimmed pinball parts. The anticipation and excitement builds…

#7042 1 year ago

Sorry I never have any luck & tried. Hotmail & Outlook. Time for a fresh start.

Don’t start a new account. Log in to your old one at googlemail.com and retrieve that shit…

#7043 1 year ago

Actually disregard the above. I am interfering with the Greatwich method maintaining peace and harmony.

Erase all. Start fresh. Old is new. Begin again.

That is the secret to John’s carefree lifestyle. Like a cleansing fast or a purging enema all the built up toxins and fatty microbes of life are flushed.

Friggen brilliant actually….

#7096 1 year ago

Aside from the obvious similarities between this and the playfield thread with a similar course and ultimate destination there are two unique qualities John has recorded:

First is the insane amount of daily drivel with zero pinball relevance.

Second is the total lack of interest in actually getting the job of pinball manufacture done.

This thread has been drowned with beer and stale food consumption. Along with work and play outside the defined parameters of this thread. It’s turning into a bad joke.

Sadly unlike the playfield thread there will be little for future readers to glean from this thread. And that is a shame…

#7097 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

With his previous endeavors, he always blamed everyone and everything for delays.
    All part of the plan. And no "OrNot" can or will be applied to this portion of the overall plan.

Clearly I’m not alone in my thinking…

#7104 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Thats what im saying, lets give those builds exposure here. I have kinda become a bit more interested in homebrews and looked for a homebrew forum, but couldnt find one, if there is one.

This is the best We got:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/forum/homebrew-pinball

Other sites are far more obscure and technical.

But the Greatwich is a commercial build <cough> so it doesn’t belong there…

#7121 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Great way to get out of a depressive funk is to change your routine and commit to a project. Like building a whitewood in two weeks. Let's go!

You have no idea how many posts I’ve written and then deleted saying this very thing. Albeit whole lot longer and less positive. Let’s hope yours works!

#7181 1 year ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

I gotta ask since I am so curious--what songs did you play?

Slow Ride-Foghat

#7212 1 year ago

Definitely a milestone post right there:

“Moved past MDF stage”

#7217 1 year ago

Is the playfield layout testing phase going from MDF to linoleum? I’ll bet it passes the ball rolling requirements with flying colors…

#7258 1 year ago
    Quoted from rosh:

So, pretty much what I expected. See y’all in another few weeks.

You are a better man than I Gunga Din…

#7291 1 year ago
    Quoted from Octomodz:

looking at the wood, it looks like it's 1/4"

It’s a metric 1/2” and John has a shim surplus from the MDF build he needs to use up. All part of the plan…

#7365 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I was looking at my blank piece of birch plywood I cut two years ago for making my homebrew pin, when it hit me like a hammer...I am just as far along as GWJ who is almost 2 months in on a 6 month build.

Yeah I find myself in the same boat. A few stand ups and slings poking thru plywood. And I’m probably a good year in. Got one hell of a box of parts though…

#7382 1 year ago

Had a visit by the contractor that will be doing the finish playfield & cabinet when the time comes. He was very impressed with the Jon Norris design. https://www.flippertechpinball.com/
    He just finished a Canada Dry restoration, & the game was flown in from France for the new owner in New Brunswick.
    [quoted image]

Glad to see you finally grab a bull by the… Ah never mind.

#7396 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

Not to be critical but man, you need to cook those hot dogs perpendicular (or even better, at a diagonal) to the grill grid to get those nice grill marks. Remember you eat with your eyes first!

Outweighed by the roll risk…

#7427 1 year ago

So thrilled to be seeing a whitewood that is actually white…

#7520 1 year ago

Breakdown of a typical JGW Build post:

Beer and Food-95%

Olives are good, but you got to buy the small standard bottle. Got lots of tooth picks left from my playfield production days to grab a olive at a time. Real life game of skill, but failed Sunday with the football drop (pepperoni to the floor). Good for food removal from my damaged tooth. My private dental plan is shit! Took a walk to the local Sobeys, & got small portion of chicken salad for lunch $2 off but still was over $4. Had my lunch walking back to the workshop.

Actual Build Data-5%

Throw some more stuff on the whitewood.

#7535 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:Yes, I have no doubt that dressing is included with the salad. I am asking what is your dressing of choice

It’s the free kind man. Please try and keep up…

#7606 1 year ago

No it does not need to be in a cabinet. Set it up on saw horses or other stuff, you can change the slope easily. Had the rest of salad, pack of dressing, & croutons + plus a good piece of mild pepperoni for lunch. Pop machine is chilled with beer bottles.

That is going to be so awesome! Please take plenty of pictures…

#7725 1 year ago

John’s thread posts remind me of those children’s detectives novels where the clues would be highlighted on the bottom of each page.

Breadcrumbs meant for Pinside pigeons…

#7730 1 year ago

I’m not sure if I missed the update or not but has a guide rail contractor been procured yet?

#7742 1 year ago
    Quoted from cliff_clavin:

I should have been more clear.
    It has gone the way everyone (all pinsiders save for gwj) had predicted. Everyone told GWJ it was impossible and his timeframe was unrealistic. Now 1/3 of the time has passed and nothing has been completed. GWJ will be lucky to get this done before 2030.
    Cheers.

Agreed everything is going as expected but am I the only one surprised by the flaccid attitude? He was so gung ho right up until there was actual work to be done…

#7743 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

You think it has gone that well? We were suppose to have a working whitewood by tomorrow.

Wait until we see this 4 foot wide playfield slab on sawhorses. It is going to be epic. The day is coming. As planned…

#7794 1 year ago
    Quoted from PhilGreg:

King Pin has something similar and it's pretty fun IMO[quoted image]

The difference being the Greatwhitewood has one hell of an inlane funnel. Will make the subway VUK to inlane in R&M tame in comparison…

#7800 1 year ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

I'm doubtful that buying finished ball guides from other games off Pinball Life and having to mess with them to make them fit your game will be cheaper than buying some metal sheets and cutting/bending them yourself, the metal really isn't that expensive.

I even provided links a few pages back to every supplier needed. Rivets, spade bolts, tools… Crickets.

These guys are cheap and stamped out some nice 1 1/4” strips for me.

https://allmetalsinc.com/ssh048.html

Custom sizes pay extra for the precision cut. Or not. And die on the vine…

#7830 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Since he is also going through a bankruptcy, I'm guessing there are meticulous records, right?

Yes but they were lost with the last computer…

#7927 1 year ago
    Quoted from cogito:

Sure, let's work backwards from this deadline. Suppose I want a playfield with a professional grade clearcoat that's cured enough by dec 25th to allow the assembly of all parts without messing up the clear, what is my clearcoat deadline? Nov 25th? Nov 10th? Oct 25th?

Not to worry John uses Varathane.

#7962 1 year ago

Personally I want to see more drinking at the shop. Every lift of a glass could be a turn of a screw. Instead we get tales of stumbling drunk salesmen and lesbian bartenders with dogs.

I’d be pissed if I hired an alcoholic and stocked his fridge with beer to help keep it focused only to have him hit the bar as much or even more than before…

Forget cutting back on drinking. Cut back on this bar fly shit it’s killing your progress. Try and actually hit a deadline for once.

#7998 1 year ago

Yes good job Frankensteining all those ball guides. Keep it up!

#8034 1 year ago

A piece of that grill needs to be incorporated into the playfield somewhere. Or cut it up and laminate to a custom collectible trading card. The possibilities are endless…

#8056 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

John! Look here!

Vintage… Lol it only costs as much as 3 crock pots.

#8076 1 year ago

Nice! Get an extra set of hands on that thing…

1 week later
    #8429 1 year ago

This may be a design question for Jon Norris but what is the exact benefit placing an angle to this rubber in question?

I’m seeing between the washer on one post and the shallow cut into playfield on the other that’s probably an 1/8” transition. Does it deaden the bounce for better in/out lane transition or something?

C6CA11D6-440D-480C-9F6F-4C6CFA2168C8 (resized).jpegC6CA11D6-440D-480C-9F6F-4C6CFA2168C8 (resized).jpeg
    #8448 1 year ago

Holy shit. And here I thought this was a thread about building a pinball machine…

#8472 1 year ago

I stupidly asked about the designs calling for some minor yet curious playfield geometry and then I noticed some star posts were like a 1/2” off center.

In this world you have chefs and you have line cooks. At the end of the day both get you fed. With enough ingredients I suspect John will serve up a fine meal out of his greasy spoon…

#8485 1 year ago
    Quoted from gjm:

John, what's the plan for the wiring harnesses for this build and the coding?

John is building the harnesses and it is highly doubtful he has procured the wire or connectors yet.

There is a supposed coder waiting in the wings but I’d imagine the hardware needs placement first…

#8541 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

You are going to have a problem trying to fit seven stand ups behind the drop target bank. Maybe spread one elsewhere or lose it all together?

I was going to point that out as well. At the very least your going to want the rear mount stand ups…

#8543 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Usually when there are standups behind drops there is n-1, not more than the number of drops

This is a Greatwich. It’s N+1. Or it dies…

#8544 1 year ago

Since I’m 0-1 on the pinball theory questions why not try again.

What applications are best for those thick faced rectangular standups? I see them occasionally but not entirely clear what they bring to the table…

#8548 1 year ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

getting rid of the drop target bank?

No, still working on other stuff at the shop.

I’m thinking that was lost in translation…

#8570 1 year ago

Not having that full scale plan laminated or tacked in place is one of the more baffling choices to date. Having a literal paint by numbers starting point to fine tune is huge.

I would think that a professional designer would know EXACTLY what geometry is best for a given situation and the final tweaks would be minor.But as I pointed out earlier star posts being up to a half inch off in one of the most crucial areas of a pinball playfield has to be huge.

Obviously once it gets to a flipping whitewood things might come to light but again maybe not. How on earth can you accurately play test on a pair of sawhorses and no cabinet? Maybe a couple video game joysticks like Demo Man sticking out of the plywood would be a good start.

That would be the ultimate trailer trash pinball sawhorse legs and no box…

#8575 1 year ago

I’m depressed every time I see 20 new posts just to find out only one of them is actually about pinball…

#8605 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Does anyone want to make any bets on whether we have a working white wood in 13 days?

Quoted from vdojaq:

Yesterday I decided to revisit the whole Seawitch & Star Gazer playfield thread. Needing a holiday miracle is putting it mildly.

So yeah a lot of Deja Vu from that thread. It’s been a little bit but maybe some remember how I read that from cover to cover and used the contents to support John’s venture in the beginning. I kept referring to it getting done despite the years of barriers… And then I woke up.

Seeing this round first hand explains what really went on all those painful playfield years. And I have newfound appreciation for what those involved went thru. This time it’s mostly entertainment and the money involved is more or less charity so no reason for suffering. And this leads me to…

THE BET:

This should not be timeline based but rather the excuse used to explain the delay. The way John tosses out deadlines with such absolute certainty is laughable. Those are for his benefit not ours anyways.

So the excuse I pick is…

“Fried Control Board”
    A subcategory of:
    “Waiting On Parts”

I’m also excitedly waiting to see the improvised flipper controls. I think Demo Man joysticks is a stretch but maybe a button on each side sticking up like a video game you could slap down on them. That would be kind of cool.

#8608 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

Why is that standup behind the drops mounted at the opposing angle to the drops> Should'nt they be mounted at the same angle as the drops?
    Looks like that would be catching balls and hanging up that way.

So that’s what’s called a “Diverter Target” and it will not only score points (In theory) but redirect the ball out of the half keg array of standups deep behind the drops. Extra points awarded for capturing ball behind lower drop target and initiating a ball search. Obviously early coding is already underway…

#8628 1 year ago

I hope we see the playfield as it was actually designed someday…

#8632 1 year ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

We will not. The original design will be modified.

Not from John. I realize that.

#8635 1 year ago

I’m blown away by how expensive the pork and beer is up there. That same cut half price all day long. Same with the beer. Brutal…

#8637 1 year ago

Exchange rate is 1.3 that hardly explains it.

#8642 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Sorry everyone, this isn't being harsh, this is my opinion. That playfield design is ruined. Toss that thing and start again.
    I am now at 2 years and 6 months.

But it’s not even a design anymore. I feel bad for the designer who is not going to see this actually made into a whitewood.

I’m glad JGW is having fun with his fantasy and the donor could not be better suited for the ride but this is all just comedic entertainment at this point.

Again like I said before I do hope someone completes this as intended. Jon Norris deserves that much…

#8672 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Can confirm the orbit shot slaps when it's not blocked up by stuff
    [quoted image]

Quoted from mad_carl:

Here’s a pic I snapped a while back from my phone. Not sure if this is the current version I have now. Haven’t touched it in a few weeks.
    I used this layout as a way to learn VP so I could learn the software and hopefully prototype my own homebrew some day.
    I just got home from work. Maybe I capture an actual video or better pictures later this evening[quoted image]

Quoted from mad_carl:

Here’s a pic I snapped a while back from my phone. Not sure if this is the current version I have now. Haven’t touched it in a few weeks.
    I used this layout as a way to learn VP so I could learn the software and hopefully prototype my own homebrew some day.
    I just got home from work. Maybe I capture an actual video or better pictures later this evening[quoted image]

Quoted from mad_carl:

Quoted from mad_carl:

Oh man that is incredible! I gotta learn how to do that. I even have an older VX pinball machine I picked up but literally have not learned how to download new tables into it. That’s how bad I suck…

Well apparently I suck at quoting too. Jesus…

#8684 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

The Voyage is about a third of the way through isn't it?

Still in the harbor. It’s those damn sandbars. Unforeseeable I tell ya…

#8685 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

"Healthcare is free!"

But that does…

#8687 1 year ago

That figure 8 loop is epic and anyone who disturbs the flow of that outer orbit needs their head examined.

#8740 1 year ago

If you add one more toothy standup to that crooked smile on the left it could spell out “Or It Dies”…

#8750 1 year ago

I can barely afford public transit. Do not believe in using food banks, & the food choices are ok by us. The only true pleasure my wife & I have is drinking beer.

John as one who was a practicing alcoholic for many years I can honestly say your doing it wrong. Stay out of those bars man. Two beers from a bar is six at home or the shop. More time at the shop means more side jobs completed and that directly translates to more beers.

And that leads to one other thing. Your operator landlord has a whale of a golden goose in his shop. He should be the one stocking that machine with beer. Your leaving a lot on the table and it isn’t just expired meat…

#8751 1 year ago

As many have said on this thread many times, stop wasting money gambling and on buying beer in bars. You would be amazed at the savings.
    Cheers,

Truer words have not been spoken. Or written faster…

#8755 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

Now I shouldn’t speak for John or anyone but what you have to ask yourself when posting this stuff is if it’s going to add any value to the thread. Again I understand GWJ’s “Rocky” past with playfields but Texas man seems satisfied personally with the results so far. That should be the ultimate end goal. I don’t personally understand the constant need to bring up GWJ’s past. It feels more so like a regurgitation of the same critique against GWJ. No disrespect at all obviously it’s not just YOU I’m targeting it was more of a general statement.

Avi you are a breath of fresh air to this saga. That shop is blessed to have you and is a great place to grow. My own life’s path took me thru a few similar “apprenticeships” so I totally can relate. But it’s real easy to misunderstand why a lot of this dark past continues to swirl around John while he cooks up his latest venture like an expired piece of meat.

Fortunately like most of history this too is recorded. I know you don’t read books and that 50 page playfield thread puts most of those to shame. When I read it my original take was this guy never gives up and ultimately gets what was promised done. However extreme the adversity is…

And then I witnessed the exact same shit in real time with this whale build. With even a much greater level of detail and way less accountability. Of course this time the financier has no issue and the deadlines are self imposed but the fact remains this wreaks of redux.

Some of the negativity you see today are from the scars of the past who have already rode this bus before. All the beer counts along with the detailed waste of time is almost thumbing his nose at those from his past who remember a different version of history than John keeps bringing up…

#8756 1 year ago
    Quoted from roffels:

How do you hit this target?
    [quoted image]

I already pointed out that this is a repurposed “diverter” target but the trapped ball sarcasm was lost in translation…

#8889 1 year ago

What prompted this? Feels out of the blue (because it seems like everyone is getting along).

So delayed it almost brings its own negativity to the thread…

#8903 1 year ago

The coach is concerned about a number of things going on with this project here.

This is actually good news because there are definitely some things going on that could really use some definitive guidance and executive decisions. A little redirection at this point in the game would be beneficial as this playfield is currently getting a slap happy treatment…

#8923 1 year ago

Yeah I was going to point that out. Don’t forget those speed bump standups…
    C0F795AB-861D-47CA-9CA2-1774CBF4ED9D (resized).jpegC0F795AB-861D-47CA-9CA2-1774CBF4ED9D (resized).jpeg

#8928 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Yeah, this is a Greatwich Original design at this point. Besides ball guides by the flippers, it sounds like the topside is mostly done? (other than the whole pesky, this playfield hasn't been cut out of the original plywood part)

A Saws-All will fix that in a jiffy. You got one of those right John? It compliments a good hammer…

#8929 1 year ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Interestingly enough, my new playfield design has a captive ball in almost the exact same location!
    Although just a standard size ball. The captive ball protrudes enough to give the impacting ball some good angles on return - can go left, right, straight back at you.
    Satisfying to smack and collect some jackpots.
    rd[quoted image]

Dave what is the gap between the posts on that? My design is 3/4” but I’d guess yours is closer to 7/8”?

#8939 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

It's not my place to say but i would redo these.. Perhaps remove the rubbers from between and put 4-5 of those targets there. but angle them so they have the function of a rail almost. You might be able to make it so the ball ricochets off the rubber on the end. and goes into the the 4 bumpers which i personally believe would be a more desirable effect. Just my two cents. tell me to shut up if I'm not making sense.
    [quoted image]

Dude just played his first pinball tournament and even he gets it. Yes you could run some standups in a semi circle (Banzai Run comes to mind) but they need to be closer. Why John chose the star post spacing is bizarre and eliminates all flow from that shot…

#8949 1 year ago

Yes good move getting Avi hooked on pins. He’s an asset for sure…

#8954 1 year ago

One addition would be that a virtual pin version of Jon Norris's design debuted, with the design and flow of its figure 8 shot winning particular acclaim. John then nixed the figure 8 shot from his actual build.

Not just nixed but more like taken behind the shed and beat toothless…

#8984 1 year ago

Just seems like my brother & friends from 1965 were heavy drinkers.

I subscribe to this line of thinking. If it happened to me it happens to everyone. I’m rarely right though…

#9002 1 year ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

"Prostitution has been illegal in Canada since 2014."

A friends ex girlfriend (she wasn’t too bright) was getting married to this hay farmer from Vermont. He had never been with anyone other than her so before tying the knot he went up to Montreal and plowed a field or two. Telling her about it after was probably the second dumbest thing he did…

#9045 1 year ago

Not sure if it was missed but John did actually give the green light for a VR design of his current playfield. I knew even he would be intrigued with the digital flow of the Norris copy.

If ever there was a chance to steer the direction his design goes this is it…

#9131 1 year ago

TreyBo69 your posts today have been inspiring. Between your playfield wiring post and steps on jumping into P-Roc I have the confidence to continue to the flip phase. Thank you for that!

#9154 1 year ago

Those deli ends you scored for a buck are awesome. If you could budget like that with the drinking you would save some serious dough… I’m not kidding.

#9230 1 year ago

FlipperTech guy is contracted out to do the cabinet right? How is that coming along? The hardware for that alone ends up being several hundred dollars and can be out of stock at times. That happened to me with a playfield hinge.

#9310 1 year ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I see things are progressing as expected. Now I kinda wish he’d gotten the $100K.

Progress would be the same but a new pinball brewery would be opening up in Halifax…

#9357 1 year ago

I suspected this even before your post. Your the apprentice. As hard as it is you gotta let the teacher fuck up. Hopefully you both end up learning something. The operator is the boss and one of the things they don’t like is being told how to do things when it’s not going right. Sometimes you can squeeze a suggestion in if done tactfully. This is something I am aware of from both sides of the isle…

#9383 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:I suppose so. I still think the thread is about the pin. We’re just at a point of filler episodes with characters you like and dislike.

The only character I had any dislike for was the Operator who I felt (and still do) was taking extreme advantage of John. But since I have come to realize the symbiotic relationship that is going on. And your little fracas the other day confirmed it.

As the Operator who has cared for his golden goose to great benefit suddenly has to provide support and tolerance to a newcomer who has yet prove his worth and find his place I would have reacted similarly.

Avi you need to look for any way possible to be an asset in that shop if you hope to have a future there. Your currently riding John’s coattails and just found out how far that’s going to get you.

Not trying offend by keeping this going but I really don’t think you understand why all that happened. From our perspective you are a huge asset to that shop. The trick now is to get that Operator character to realize it…

#9390 1 year ago

Great job understanding the Operator’s role in all of this. Great job…

#9430 1 year ago

Too soon. Way too soon…

#9445 1 year ago

Motivation for Avi and the operator to stay the heck away.

I had this friend with a garage at his house. We were all shade tree mechanics but whenever the porn got put on nothing got done. So any crap about motivation is just that. A pile of crap. Try playing some music…

#9446 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Porn was meant to be share with other men during the lunch hour.

Said no one ever…

#9457 1 year ago

Slow month for pinball…

#9477 1 year ago
    Quoted from JimFNB:

[quoted image]

Plan. It’s all part of the plan. AI needs to get at least that right.

#9479 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Three wires per day. Not bad. I thought we'd be closer to two! That's 33% above expectations.

Flip or fry. We are doing it this week.

#9498 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Didn't you just have a cold a few weeks ago?

You want to see a perpetually sick dude? Go read the last 4 years of his playfield thread…

#9514 1 year ago

Remind him why he should get safety glasses & wear them.

Eyes, ears, and lungs. Do not neglect to protect. Or you will regret it.

#9521 1 year ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

I don’t know. I went back and read through the playfield thread and GWJ seemed more deliberate and coherent in his writing style back then. Go check for yourself; there is a big difference in style. I have been curious as to why the change in tone and if it was the result of a medical condition or something else.

I think it has more to do with the financial arrangement. With the playfields a promised product was actually paid for in advance. Expectations were high. With this machine build nothing is concrete. A mech studded piece of paneling on a set of sawhorses could conceivably be called a success.

He can afford to be dismissive of criticism and flippant about details because none of it matters. Whenever he decides whatever is good enough to turn in that’s it. Because it is just that. Good enough.

It’s ingenious really. John gets to feed his ego and scratch that eternal itch of being a player in the world of commercial pinball. Ice will acquire the most uniquely unobtainable pinball machine in existence. And of course the peanut gallery gets to hoot and holler the whole way along. In the end everybody wins.

#9544 1 year ago

I dropped the shop computer, slipped through my hands. About a 6" drop, lucky I powered it off & it survived. No hammers at the shop, & still do not know how the operator can lose them all when 2 were mine.

I’m like that with tape measures. Own at least a dozen and I’m lucky if I know where 2 are at any given time…

#9586 1 year ago

Not in a panic mode yet, & beer count is still zero today. xmas is coming!

Panic is not one of your modes. If it was more would get done.

#9622 1 year ago

No works good on the saw horses. Manufactures & owners like their rotiseries. I prefer over sized plywood on plastic sawhorses for testing.

Quoted from Beechwood:

It's a super wide body.

The ultra wide body whitewood serves to accommodate discounted food products. Also John’s confidence in this supported oversize playfield methodology leads me to believe this may be a path travelled before. Or not…

#9676 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Why does it look like the bundle of wires are going down the playfield, towards the flippers, when it should go the other way? You guys lift playfields all the time... you wire front to back
    Idk. I should stop trying to make sense of it...

You are forgetting to factor in that this is a sawhorse playfield. Lift, drop, or knock it over any way you like…

#9678 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I don't know why you keep putting deadlines on yourself.

Deadlines are John’s motivator. Since he is unable to panic this is the natural substitute.

#9680 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I forgot about how there was a cabinet that also needs to be built. Maybe while the playfield clearcoat cures during January....

A non issue. It’s being contracted out. And we all know how reliable that is…

#9738 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Hey John
    What's your plan for the cabinet? You going to build one, buy a kit, restore an old one?

That is being contracted out. I’m sure it’s right on schedule according to the plan.

I know it feels like a lifetime now but at Pintastic last spring he was supposed to be showcasing vintage cabinet kits. Although I don’t remember seeing any at the time. I’d wager this is/was the guy cued up to produce it. Or not…

#9753 1 year ago

You people with the cabinet… It isn’t part of the plan. Whitewood flip table on sawhorses. That’s it.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. It’s all about used wire and a power supply. Maybe some connectors and control boards. And then the fun really begins…

#9757 1 year ago

If everyone really wants to be helpful they could start suggesting where to place the flipper buttons.

My personal favorite is a Demo Man joystick setup. Gotta be a couple shot ones kicking around there. But I suspect the path of least resistance to be just mounted face up on the edges of the “GreatWood*” face. Good for palms down slap saves.

* GreatWood. Any oversized prototype device made from used paneling or other discarded wood based material and placed on a pair of sawhorses.

#9776 1 year ago

John this is a message from your secret Santa:

“I see GWJ got his winter coats, I am very happy to hear that they fit him perfectly. Maybe we will get those modeling pictures after all? Anyone who doubted me or posted to purposely disparage the reasons for my intentions, this all happened AFTER I was booted from this thread. I gave John my word, and that is what I had to stand on.“

Have a flipping Christmas and clear coated New Year!

#9822 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

If you have extra dual wound coils, like from a System 11 game, then you could wire those directly to the power supply and not have to hook up the rest of the P3 stuff.

Could you wire slings and bumpers in this manner as well because they are switch regulated?

#9838 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

It seems John is missing one or two of the boards…

I don’t believe it.

Quoted from AviRoo:

I don’t foresee this being done by Christmas.

Impossible.

#9863 1 year ago

Thank you Ice for subsidizing this adventure. Your generosity knows no bounds…

#10003 1 year ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

Sadly, the memorable post will be John blaming you (among other things) for the failure of this project
    I'm glad you're getting your vid restored though, so you got something out of it.

I’m curious about the mention of
    payment for the whitewood. Is the mighty Greatwich outsourcing this aspect the project as well?

#10063 1 year ago

And there is no chance John is updating those CAD files himself. None whatsoever.

I could see the playfield being partially cut with the unchanged stuff and hand hacking the rest in. But again someone else will have to manipulate the file.

If history is any indicator the CAD cutting will be a huge barrier. And I don’t think we ever found out what P-ROK boards were missing. Kind of hard to do when they have a hookup diagram showing EVERY board you need…

What board did you miss John? The power supply board?

#10071 1 year ago

Still might go back with the new Fast Pinball system since it looks like Santa Claus has showed up there.

Is this because Pinball life is out of stock on much of the P-ROC stuff? If so have you checked out Multimorphics website?

#10072 1 year ago

And humor us man. What board did you forget?

#10088 1 year ago

What board John?

71023916-6E7C-4656-A502-7A6CC549AD39 (resized).jpeg71023916-6E7C-4656-A502-7A6CC549AD39 (resized).jpeg
    #10115 1 year ago

I think John should just use this downtime to ponder some more. Maybe he’s a New Year type of guy. Next year he will do better. Or not…

#10149 1 year ago

So all the connectors are crimped and power supply is wired up then. That’s great! Your almost there…

#10183 1 year ago

You got to have faith in the Jon Norris base layout & my modifications. If this is not my best effort I will not be doing anymore. But people here mostly like what they see along with myself. The whitewood will definitely be in Texas in March 2023. Beer total 10

I really like this post. I can just picture John ten beers in basically just laying it all out there. Have faith. This is all I got. Wait and see. And of course finishing up with yet another goalpost moving promise. Should be a milestone post…

#10215 1 year ago

Pinball is easy.

#10224 1 year ago

John you delegate about as well as you procrastinate. At least you do utilize your skill set. That’s important.

#10250 1 year ago
    Quoted from Flipperfun:

If he had secured the TPB license and $100k, it would have been JPop all over again.

Yes but would he be driving a Range Rover?

#10252 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

Back home. Today wasn't as exciting but i did a few odds and ends. Buddy i sold a cocktail table to back in october messaging my facebook trying to get me to drive an hours+ ways out there just to fix a joystick that magically stopped working. I dunno. I had that cocktail table in a bar for a entire year+ and it never had 1 single issue..

Those things are stupidly simple. Time to put on a thinking cap…

#10261 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

I can only hope this will cause GWJ to reflect on what guarantees he gives out next time so he doesn’t do it again.

John’s not doing this again.

If this is not my best effort I will not be doing anymore.

Because this is clearly not the best he can do…

#10300 1 year ago

Yeah DeeBow comes thru. More than just a champion for truth, justice, and the Canadian way. That’s some very nice gifted signage there…

#10341 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Can anybody translate?

Just like cocaine it is better when shared with friends…

#10342 1 year ago

Merry Christmas Aaron & the team at Fast Pinball. Glad Gerry is coming through since I am still likely still on the naughty list there at Fast Pinball. Just wondering if the coach & I had waited for the Fast Pinball platform if we would of seen it this year? Not going to blame you anyway with the slow pace here, opposite I guess of Fast Pinball.

This is actually a very humorous post worthy of upvoting. Yes John is still salty. As he should be. He got snubbed pretty good. Not that it was without merit…

Good times. It’s all just good times. Merry Christmas!

#10380 1 year ago

Gerry came up with UPS Express for my stuff. Good to see competition between the guys. Got the fridge stocked up with Olands Beer. Just finishing beer #2
    [quoted image][quoted image]

I was going to say why bother with the express ship but oh wow you got the goods. Must have cost a pretty penny. Guess what you also got? No more excuses!

That last parts not true. I’m sure many more are up your sleeve…

#10387 1 year ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

I need to stay away from this thread. It still just makes me feel sad.
    I hope nobody interested in building a homebrew pinball machine comes across this thread and thinks this is what the journey is really like.
    Maybe I'll check back in another 3,000ish posts.
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

I think being in the boutique subcategory helps protect from that.

I’ve heard the term “Artisan Pinball” dropped before (not here of course) maybe that would be a good place to hide this thread. After we know John thinks of himself as one…

#10388 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Thank god those boards arrived. I was bummed out that absolutely nothing else at all could be done to make progress on the build until those arrived. Crazy how step-by-step, sequenced pinball building is.
    Probably doesn't help much that they are here tho, given it's the 23rd of December so I expect there will be plenty of holiday drinking in addition to the annual 24th bar trip. Probably may as well have just saved on the premo shipping costs and gotten them at the beginning of January.
    anyone got odds for a flipping board in January?

See your looking at this the wrong way. You will be disappointed. Try to anticipate and get excited for the next setback. It’s much more fulfilling. Personally I have a lot of money riding on fried boards. I expect it to pay out eventually.

#10389 1 year ago

Gerry came up with UPS Express for my stuff.[quoted image]

A hundred bucks to ship that. I’m curious what you ponder about because it certainly isn’t the parts your going to need.

Anyone remember the golf clap?

#10459 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Call it the, Contrary Mini-Whale Project.

Call it the Pod Project. A pod of whales. A whale family.

As opposed to the captain Ahab JGW who literally risks everything in pursuit of an elusive goal while eroding morale ultimately destroying himself and whatever credibility he had left.

#10464 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I have some serious questions here. The workshop, to me, is an issue. Supposedly GWJ is working on the operators machines to earn his keep and space at the shop. I am not so sure this gives GWJ the authority to say here Avi, here is the room for you to build your machine. I have to believe this situation has already caused the level of animosity that the operator has shown towards Avi due to his arcade game. We have all read the posts about it.
    I would highly suggest the both GWJ and Avi get this situation completely under control and have an understanding with the "operater" before anything happens.
    If nothing else, maybe Iceman could help pay some rent or even fund Avi's build to see which one pans out 1st. The wrong situation arises and both GWJ and Avi could be on the outside looking in and and there will be no more ANYTHING, it ALL dies.......or NOT.

This is a huge observation here. As we see time and time again JGW says things with authority when there is actually none.

#10465 1 year ago
    Quoted from mof:

I missed 3000 posts (60 pages) anyone feel generous enough for a recap?
    -mof

Everything is going according to the plan. Or not.

#10474 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

Any clue why the DMD doesn't work on visual pinball? I hear it but visually it doesn't exist.

If your talking about virtual pinball it might be because the image is hidden off screen. I’m far from an expert but with mine there is 3 separate screens but they are all linked and you can drag and drop across all three screens with a mouse. Maybe that helps…

#10478 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

I have no clue. whenever i try editing the file in visual pinball it crashes me out and won't let me reopen it. so then i have to get a fresh copy. It's kind of annoying me.

Oh your talking about that playfield design software. Then I’m as lost as you…

#10482 1 year ago

John I am intrigued by your beer count. Probably because I used to do the same back when I was a practicing alcoholic. How do you rate a pint vs. a 12oz can or bottle? And do you take alcohol content into account?

I would start with a baseline 12oz at 4-5%. Therefore a 9% would be 2 beers and 2 beers at 6% would be rounded up to a 3 beer count. Now drinking a bunch of pints things start to get a little fuzzy but that was usually a positive thing. Never drank pitchers so I didn’t need to solve that one.

As you can see the formula can go as deep as you want it to but usually by that time I would be busy solving other problems…

#10491 1 year ago

There is literally no scientific theory or evidence to support your school of thought. Like I tell my kids “Just because you say it, does not make it so.”

Still the missing seminar footage from the Pintastic Show, where the lady said I need to stop talking about wood. Merry xmas eve to all!

That footage is best left unseen lest one sees what “not an alcoholic” you are…

#10494 1 year ago

Enough ball busting. Merry Christmas John! Merry Christmas everyone! Joy to the world of pinball…

#10525 1 year ago

Lol! An interesting twist to the Tale of Two Whitewoods. I can’t say I don’t blame Iceman for feeling negative about this. After all it is his several thousand dollars that got everything this far. I need to say this again. SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS. American cash money. For a charcuterie board from Pinball Life. Merry friggen Christmas…

Now all that said Ice you really should have reigned the mighty Greatwich in. Not by stifling his internet presence but by actually coaching this build and not just stroking his ego like an All-Star because he ain’t…

#10526 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

John, wait a minute, coach is the one who sent the "unsavory" message to Avi??

93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg
    #10547 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

You think I just now realized it?
    I wanted to give GWJ the opportunity and this is where we are at now. It’s a fun project. I wasn’t looking for the next master pin.
    Can still end up doing something charitable out of this.

Its clear what your expectations were by this point. But from the outside looking in the leash could have been a whole lot shorter. John clearly does not perform well with no accountability. Hell he barely performs with it. As a coach I would put my own goalposts up.
    I hope maybe you take this route over bailing because this will literally die on the vine. Just like John predicted…

#10561 1 year ago

I’d wager John has spent about 3 grand on parts.

#10589 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

That’s my opinion too. And then Avi started shit talking John. Which was strange to me.

As one of those shit talkers I found that to be be strange too. I tried to point this “know your place” behavior out back during the operator incident but that fell upon mostly deaf ears. The audience has been enamored with this newest cast member and even I welcomed the energy but alas this appears to have come at a price.

Regardless of the bailed backer this show could and should most certainly go on. Egos from ALL parties must be checked at the door. My vision for the future is one where the elder teaches and manages the eager young student who now brings his own newfound assets to the table.

Or not…

#10613 1 year ago

That’s an honest reply right there. Worthy of an upvote.

#10633 1 year ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

Since this journey is coming to a close, I will share the message I sent to iceman back in September that GWJ took to mean he was "blacklisted."
    I have seen too many failed pinball endeavors over the years and this project had all the markings. Those projects that have succeeded, even as homebrews, have shown more hardwork and effort than talk.
    What I couldn't "help" with here was that the person leading the charge was convinced they knew it all. Anyone offering to help or give advice was frustrated to see it ignored.
    I hope everyone finds stimulating pinball projects to participate in for 2023!
    Merry Christmas!
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

In all fairness it does sound a bit like John was “blacklisted”.

Now that said do you have any idea what kind of dumbass you have to be to have to be for the owner of a company to say “Please don’t use me”?

I know at least one person who doesn’t.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lorddrek.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching?tu=lorddrek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.