Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,240 posts
  • 311 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by acedanger
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 243 votes
      34%
    • decent, better than the prequels 251 votes
      35%
    • really good, on par with the originals 80 votes
      11%
    • great! one of the best 80 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 55 votes
      8%

(709 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

scioli (resized).jpg
    ss1-trapped (resized).jpg
    fantastic_four_1961_48_3 (resized).jpg
    d0c0aa785c9ed124 (resized).jpeg
    b881ebbaf721aff4 (resized).jpeg
    1 (56) (resized).JPG
    the-acolyte-databank-feature-article-feature_536e2878 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1dd86362581cee58daeaeaef82eb6037 (resized).jpg
    the-acolyte-teaser-poster_506fd466 (resized).jpeg
    1 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    6aw3vw8uep501 (resized).jpg
    GGtWnNMWMAAWx0I (resized).png
    nickcole1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,240 posts in this topic. You are on page 57 of 125.
    #2801 5 years ago

I dunno, I think her outfit is fine since the guys get to wear fully covering outfits.

The point is to avoid the traditional comic book double standard. She’s still nice to look at.

#2802 5 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

GOTG
    IM
    Ant man sorta.
    I did like the first two x-men. Love Ian Mckellen as Magneto.

no dr.strange? That movie was surprisenly better than expected.

#2803 5 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Just watched again the other day, no fan "back in the day" but the movie was excellent.

Iron Man, GOTG, Dr. Strange, Ant-Man are my top four.

#2804 5 years ago

Something about Brie Larson as Capt Marvel is offputting in the trailers to me - can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's that she doesn't seem believable as a badass, she honestly looks like she can't throw a punch much less save the universe, but maybe that will change when I've seen it and the character is developed some.

Gotta say the mohawk helmet or whatever from the latest trailer looks horrible - maybe that is comic inspired (? no idea), but it looks ridiculous.

And they're definitely beating us over the head with the hero - her stuff. I can get past that if the story is good though and doesn't keep going off the deepend in that direction.

As stated, Gal Gadot rocked WW, but I actually think that movie is fairly bad once you get past the origin and war scenes and get to the finale. I seem to be one of the few of that opinion though. Ares was just lame... Compared to Justice League it was amazing though, LOL.

#2805 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinKopf:

As stated, Gal Gadot rocked WW, but I actually think that movie is fairly bad once you get past the origin and war scenes and get to the finale. I seem to be one of the few of that opinion though. Ares was just lame.

Amen to that....WW and Black Panther just left me shaking my head, I was thinking they made a Billion Dollars on these two movies and Dredd failed at the B.O...WTF?

#2806 5 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I got bored and stopped watching it half way through.

As I get older I find Cgi action scenes offputting. When I see Deadpool's girlfriend get thrown off an 80 foot high ship in dry dock onto the ground and not seem the least bit injured that ruins a movie for me. She's not a superhero, she would be in a world of hurt. Infinity wars and the like always suck. Regardless of the genre, Ensemble casts never work because there is just not enough time in a movie to get too deep into all the characters. Love, Actually is one of the few films that pulled it off.

If the story, characters, and dialog are not really well developed, then who cares if they save the world.
    And that Brie Larson just does not have the look of a superhero or much of a presence as an actor. That movie is going to be awful.

#2807 5 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

When I see Deadpool's girlfriend get thrown off an 80 foot high ship in dry dock onto the ground and not seem the least bit injured that ruins a movie for me. She's not a superhero, she would be in a world of hurt.

Yes, the movies today have just completely left reality behind. True science fiction is dead, fantasy rules this decade. The Star Trek reboot and conversion of that franchise from science fiction to fantasy is what convinced me of this.

We occasionally still get a good science fiction movie (the bladrunner sequel comes to mind) but they never go completely bananas at the box office...people prefer these fantasy based popcorn flicks.

#2808 5 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

When I see Deadpool's girlfriend get thrown off an 80 foot high ship in dry dock onto the ground and not seem the least bit injured that ruins a movie for me. She's not a superhero, she would be in a world of hurt.

In the source material, Vanessa is "Copycat", a shape-shifting mutant. The movies haven't shown that, yet, but the writers have expressed interest in adding that into a future story.

#2809 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinKopf:

And they're definitely beating us over the head with the hero - her stuff. I can get past that if the story is good though and doesn't keep going off the deepend in that direction.

https://cosmicbook.news/captain-mavel-thor-hammer

Both Kevin Feige and Brie Larson have stated numerous times that Captain Marvel is the MCU's strongest superhero, and now Larson is asked if Carol Danvers can lift Thor's hammer. Speaking with Buzzfeed Brazil for the CCXP, Brie Larson is asked,

"One nerdy question for you: Do you think Captain Marvel is able to lift Thor's hammer?" Brie Larson shakes her head up and down numerous times and says, "Definitely."

The interviewer then remarks "girl power" with Larson confirming, "Yeah!"

#2810 5 years ago

thats kinda lame but i dont know the lore, in the comic books can captain marvel do that (male or female version)?

#2811 5 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

thats kinda lame but i dont know the lore, in the comic books can captain marvel do that (male or female version)?

In the movies (Age of Ultron), Captain America was unable to pick up Thors hammer, which I think aside from Vision (who did pick it up) the most worthy member of the Avengers.

Cap' is for all intents and purposes a card carrying boy scout. You going to tell me 'Cap can't pick up the hammer but Captain Marvel can?

Color me doubtful.

It's not a matter of strength but is the wielder worthy.

Edit: In the comics, 'cap has wielded Thor's hammer more than once.

#2812 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yes, the movies today have just completely left reality behind. True science fiction is dead, fantasy rules this decade. The Star Trek reboot and conversion of that franchise from science fiction to fantasy is what convinced me of this.
    We occasionally still get a good science fiction movie (the bladrunner sequel comes to mind) but they never go completely bananas at the box office...people prefer these fantasy based popcorn flicks.

It's a damn shame too. True Science fiction movies are the best. You can do whatever the f#ck you want in a fantasy movie, believable or just plain made up.

Blade Runner was right near the top of the science fiction heap. Both the original movie and the sequel.

QSS

#2813 5 years ago
    Quoted from JWJr:

In the source material, Vanessa is "Copycat", a shape-shifting mutant. The movies haven't shown that, yet, but the writers have expressed interest in adding that into a future story.

That would be okay, assuming shape-shifting isn't her only power(because she didn't shape shift into a flying squirell that I saw) but we don't know that and neither does Deadpool. They should have had him express genuine fear as she fell, but he didn't seem to think it was a big deal. Then maybe he would ask her afterwards something like " how the hell are you ok after just falling 80 feet?" That would have set up copycat in a later movie.

#2814 5 years ago

I had not looked at Boxoffice mojo for a while but just did to see how Solo performed at the boxoffice

Worldwide $392M which is below Mama Mia (here we go again), below Tron Leagacy (2010) $400M, Batman (1989), The Kings Speach $414M.

Less than 20% of the cumulative total of The Force Awakens.

The $17M budget film released this year (I never heard of) ‘A Quiet Place’ has a cumulative total of $340M.

#2815 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinKopf:

Something about Brie Larson as Capt Marvel is offputting in the trailers to me - can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's that she doesn't seem believable as a badass, she honestly looks like she can't throw a punch much less save the universe, but maybe that will change when I've seen it and the character is developed some.

Maybe it's Bitchy Resting Face.....

Later,
    EV

#2816 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

The $17M budget film released this year (I never heard of) ‘A Quiet Place’ has a cumulative total of $340M.

Watch it it's killer, Emily Blunt and John Krasinski, John directs. Its only has that budget because John and Emily did it for a fraction of what they would normally get.

#2817 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Watch it it's killer, Emily Blunt and John Krasinski, John directs. Its only has that budget because John and Emily did it for a fraction of what they would normally get.

Ok.

I love those actors.

I was seeing a lot of horror movies (like Don’t Breath or Get Out) are made for pennies compared to big blockbuster movies.

I wish Hollywood could make good movies without just throwing a ton of money and still making crappy movies.

#2818 5 years ago

Venom was good, I mean good compared to the rest of the bunch, I just wished they had given Venom more time to develop or give a better explanation for his decision in the end, obviously I don't want to spoil the plot so I'll leave it there.

#2819 5 years ago

how did they think editing deadpool into a pg13 movie would be a good idea?

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/12/12/once-upon-a-deadpool-review

#2820 5 years ago

how did they think editing deadpool into a pg13 movie would be a good idea?
    https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/12/12/once-upon-a-deadpool-review

Advice from Stern In all seriousness reviewers are just stupid, all proceeds are going to charity. How can you complain about a movie being rereleased and all profits going to charity at Christmas? It's F*ck Cancer but it too has been rebranded Fudge Cancer as part of the joke.

#2821 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Advice from Stern In all seriousness reviewers are just stupid, all proceeds are going to charity. How can you complain about a movie being re released and all profits going to charity at Christmas?

oh didnt know it was for charity, thats cool, It just seems like making deadpool pg13 takes away the spirit of the character

#2822 5 years ago

oh didnt know it was for charity, thats cool, It just seems like making deadpool pg13 takes away the spirit of the character

The whole thing is meant to be a bit of a joke, even Deadpool cleans up his act for Christmas. Also I they focus on children with cancer so they thought they would clean up the movie so kids could at least go see it.

Pretty sad when they release a movie so kids can support other kids dying of cancer and people are upset that it doesn't fit the character of a super hero and say it sucks, don't go see it.

#2823 5 years ago

Dr. Strange was decent. I don’t get these big movies not being able to find American actors. Cumberbatch is a great actor, but it is nails on a chalkboard listening to his “American” accent. It seems there is one American accent teacher in Britain, and they all sound like a New Yorker who moved to Canada.

Can’t wait for Will Ferrell to take on Sherlock Holmes! Right back at ya UK!

#2824 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

The whole thing is meant to be a bit of a joke, even Deadpool cleans up his act for Christmas. Also I they focus on children with cancer so they thought they would clean up the movie so kids could at least go see it.
    Pretty sad when they release a movie so kids can support other kids dying of cancer and people are upset that it doesn't fit the character of a super hero and say it sucks, don't go see it.

i mean, watching the movie originally do you think it is meant for kids??!? i guess i wouldnt want my young child watching the movie.

im not upset as you put it, just think its a bad take on a R rated movie. Didnt know it had anything to do with raising money for kids with cancer, but still seems a bit of a stretch. At least its not a cash grab and for a good cause. sorry to offend you

#2825 5 years ago

i mean, watching the movie originally do you think it is meant for kids??!? i guess i wouldnt want my young child watching the movie.
    im not upset as you put it, just think its a bad take on a R rated movie. Didnt know it had anything to do with raising money for kids with cancer, but still seems a bit of a stretch. At least its not a cash grab and for a good cause. sorry to offend you

I'm not offended at all, just kinda shaking my head at the people giving it a bad review. The internet rages because Starbucks cups are not Christmas enough and at the same time complain when Ryan Reynolds tries to raise money for sick kids over the holidays, with a special Christmas edition of his movie.

#2826 5 years ago

Big DP fans here: we saw Once Upon... last night, and thought it was _hilarious_. The Savage scenes are absolute gold. Those of us who have DP2 memorized could fill in the missing scenes, and appreciated some of the "alt" jokes and bits from the DVD extras; we noticed a _lot_ of big laughter from audience members who'd obviously never seen the R-rated DP2.

I shouldn't have to say this for a Marvel movie, but STAY THROUGH THE CREDITS. A number of people left early, and missed a very touching finish.

Bravo to RR and Fudge Cancer.

#2827 5 years ago

Dead horse but well worth watching, guy hits some new stuff and is entertaining.

1 week later
    #2828 5 years ago

just watched Solo, I think it was a very bad movie.

I hated just about everything about it. But particularly Han was so weak, he was trying to act cool but the actor was just not able to pull it off. Lando was also very bad with the droid love. The card playing scenes were particularly bad like omg bad. Overall a total bomb. I did like Chewie more than anything and Woody was ok as an actor but the character was meh. I feel like Solo failed on it's own merits not even counting how bad TLJ was. I mean if Solo had bene a very good movie it would have done good at the box-office but it was really bad.

Overall of the new films I though Rogue was good, TFA was not bad. TLJ was bad and Solo was horrible.

#2829 5 years ago

Just saw this video on my YouTube recommended list, it's a very well done and professional looking Star Wars fan film. This seems better then most of the scenes in The Last Jedi lol.

#2830 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

just watched Solo, I think it was a very bad movie.
    I hated just about everything about it. But particularly Han was so weak, he was trying to act cool but the actor was just not able to pull it off. Lando was also very bad with the droid love. The card playing scenes were particularly bad like omg bad. Overall a total bomb. I did like Chewie more than anything and Woody was ok as an actor but the character was meh. I feel like Solo failed on it's own merits not even counting how bad TLJ was. I mean if Solo had bene a very good movie it would have done good at the box-office but it was really bad.
    Overall of the new films I though Rogue was good, TFA was not bad. TLJ was bad and Solo was horrible.

Out of all of them the only Bluray I bought was R1. I don't know how you can fuck up SW so badly. I have said it before this stuff just writes itself. The entire arc of Luke, Solo and Leia was already there, all they need to do was put in some fillers and sit back and watch the Billions roll in. There are 3 easy plots that would've dovetailed nicely for the continuation of the story line, 1. A reconstituted empire with a new sith lord at the helm. 2. A coup against the Jedi from within the Jedi rank itself. 3. A civil war in the alliance amongst different planets. All the storylines would have required Luke, Solo and Leia to step up and help....and you could have finished them off heroically and the fans would have loved you for it.

#2831 5 years ago

Searching for Christmas gifts for my nephews (6 and 4) and noticed there are very few star wars toys available this year.

#2832 5 years ago

Just bought SW toothbrushes for my kids (forgot to pack theirs for grandparents house this Xmas).

#2833 5 years ago

Searching for Christmas gifts for my nephews (6 and 4) and noticed there are very few star wars toys available this year.

The little that I did notice has no movie logos, just "Star Wars" I wonder if they repackaged the stuff that did not sell with generic Star Wars packaging?

#2834 5 years ago

I just got back from DisneyWord.

I swear - 10% of all the park attendees had Star Wars shirts on. I was shocked. I wanted so badly to go up to some of them and ask them what about Star Wars since 1982 do they actually like? My head hurt so bad from seeing them all. Dorks and Geeks everywhere. And the Star Wars land they are building is huge as hell.

If Disney pissed off their fan base, you couldn't tell.

#2835 5 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I swear - 10% of all the park attendees had Star Wars shirts on. I was shocked.

Meh, probably mostly people that don’t want to wear a Mickey Mouse or Disney Princes shirt...but want to buy something from a gift shop to make their kids happy. Star Wars is at least viewed as more adult than Mickey Mouse or a Disney princess.

Quoted from Methos:

If Disney pissed off their fan base, you couldn't tell

I think the box office results and lack of toy sales will have their attention. In a year we will know. I’m still passing on Solo.

#2836 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think the box office results and lack of toy sales will have their attention. In a year we will know.

I saw a blurb the other day stating that Lego Star Wars day had been canceled at Disney parks along with the follow up movie spin offs. The author of the article felt that Disney was attempting to lay low till the flap over TLJ had blown over and the public would want Star Wars again.

The lego movies has been a goldmine for various franchises and viewed separate from "canon" so I think this was a mistake.

#2837 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Just saw this video on my YouTube recommended list, it's a very well done and professional looking Star Wars fan film. This seems better then most of the scenes in The Last Jedi lol.

Most impressive for a fan film. This seems to be heavily influenced by the Lords of the Sith novel. A must read for Star Wars fans.

#2838 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I saw a blurb the other day stating that Lego Star Wars day had been canceled at Disney parks along with the follow up movie spin offs. The author of the article felt that Disney was attempting to lay low till the flap over TLJ had blown over and the public would want Star Wars again.
    The lego movies has been a goldmine for various franchises and viewed separate from "canon" so I think this was a mistake.

Looks like SW Lego Days was actually at Legoland so no $$ for Disney there. But it would be stupid not to make a Lego SW movie, kids love that stuff and they’d be printing money.

#2839 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Looks like SW Lego Days was actually at Legoland so no $$ for Disney there. But it would be stupid not to make a Lego SW movie, kids love that stuff and they’d be printing money.

https://cosmicbook.news/disney-resetting-star-wars?amp

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/LEGO_Star_Wars_Days_Are_Cancelled_182703.asp

"The official word has come to Rebelscum from Lucasfilm that "2018 would be the last year they do them" and an unnamed source at Disney has suggested that the motivation was to refocus expenditure and limit Star Wars exposure to reset the franchise and allow fans to heal."

No direct money but lots of good press that cost them nothing, a huge mistake. And i bet Legoland paid something to Disney for having a Star Wars Day, can't see the house of mouse letting anyone use the IP for free.

#2840 5 years ago

Here's an interesting comment from actor Simon Pegg about the recent Star Wars movies. I tend to agree, even though some moments in the prequels were cringeworthy the movies as a whole felt more like Star Wars then the new trilogy.

"I must admit, watching the last Star Wars film, the overriding feeling I got when I came out was, ‘I miss George Lucas.’ For all the complaining that I’d done about him in the prequels, there was something amazing about his imagination. I do feel like his voice is missing from the current ones,”

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900043319/this-star-wars-actor-says-the-new-films-are-missing-george-lucas-touch.html

#2841 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think the box office results and lack of toy sales will have their attention. In a year we will know. I’m still passing on Solo.

Yes, the cosmicbooks.news link posted by gdonovan proves that they're getting the message.....Finally! I will be happy when KK is shown the door. But I can see why they may want to be defiant, as to not show them bending to the fans' boycott. However, you've got to pretty hard headed not to show this lady the door already after all of the missteps. I'm betting this only happening because Disney is making so much money with the Marvel stuff.

However, looking back we still made some good predictions. We said that they will eventually get the message, well, I'm happy to report they did. We said Solo will bomb at the box office and it did just that. We predicted KK will have to be removed, well, they pretty much took the franchise away from KK and let JJ Abrams do his own thing with ep. 9. Lastly, We predicted RJ's trilogy will get shelved. This hasn't happened yet either but all signs indicate this will happen with KK's eventual departure. Now we have the article saying they're looking to reset the franchise. Haha Ok, but it only took a billion of lost revenue with reshoots, firings and bombs in the theaters for the studio pros to come to that conclusion. I can't say I'm impressed.

#2842 5 years ago

Why does everyone say KK is out of the picture?

#2843 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

to refocus expenditure and limit Star Wars exposure to reset the franchise and allow fans to heal."

Maybe they _have_ actually been listening to us.

#2844 5 years ago
    Quoted from JWJr:

Maybe they have_ actually been listening to us.

That would mean they would have to accept we dissatisfied fans are not really just all Russian Bots...

#2845 5 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Why does everyone say KK is out of the picture?

She is, Disney has given Abrams total creative control. I mean if you're looking for an official press release you won't find it, but it's been all over the web. Also there are clues by the actors themselves, saying the last episode is looser and more creative. Here's a good synopsis of what's happened since the backlash:

https://www.popmatters.com/can-star-wars-be-saved-2598718617.html?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1

#2846 5 years ago

My buddy just text me this about star wars cannon that just was, I suppose in their words, revealed

Screenshot_20181230-090709_Key_Collector (resized).jpgScreenshot_20181230-090709_Key_Collector (resized).jpg
    #2847 5 years ago

Ive been reading similar about Palpatine influencing ep9 by tying in prequels. Remember he did mention creation of life to Anakin in ROTS.
    Wouldn’t be a bad idea given they’ve already pissed off fans, killed off the main villain, and have little time for a new one to salvage this whole thing.

#2848 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

She is, Disney has given Abrams total creative control. I mean if you're looking for an official press release you won't find it, but it's been all over the web. Also there are clues by the actors themselves, saying the last episode is looser and more creative. Here's a good synopsis of what's happened since the backlash:
    https://www.popmatters.com/can-star-wars-be-saved-2598718617.html?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1

Thanks for sharing the article, a lot of interesting points. The last few lines of the article sum of perfectly the issue with the new trilogy, it basically destroys everything the original characters did and what they represent in Episodes 4-6.

"No, we don't have to follow a new generation of Skywalkers with each new generation of moviegoers, but we also shouldn't be uncaringly throwing away those characters, their victories, their promises, their histories, their very characteristics and literally everything that made them who they are."

I think fans would have preferred to see Episode 7 be about how the Rebellions victory in ROTJ changed the galaxy, show Luke training a new generation of Jedi and then unfold how his nephew Ben is turned to the darkside through the movie by Snoke. Episode 8 could then have been about the Sith's return and the old gang coming back together to fight them with some new characters. Episode 9 could have had Luke fight Snoke and then be killed in some heroic act only to have Kylo redeem himself and square off against Snoke.

Disney has the rest of time to make new Star Wars trilogies so there was no excuse to not let Episode 7-9 be a continuation of the story from Episodes 1-6. Instead Disney used the original characters to lure fans back and then kill them off in effort to promote new characters that they hope would lead to more films. Well...it backfired. Will there will an Episode 10, 11, and 12? It seems like no one cares at this point.

#2849 5 years ago

don't know if this has been posted yet.

#2850 5 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Ive been reading similar about Palpatine influencing ep9 by tying in prequels. Remember he did mention creation of life to Anakin in ROTS.
    Wouldn’t be a bad idea given they’ve already pissed off fans, killed off the main villain, and have little time for a new one to salvage this whole thing.

FFS. The answer to whatever ails SW is not unearthing the absolute worst ideas from the prequels. The amount of butt-hurt fanboyism generated by Episode 8 has been pretty amusing, but if we are back to midichlorians I am out for good.

There are 6,240 posts in this topic. You are on page 57 of 125.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spoilers-star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-really-bad-spoilers/page/57?hl=pinkopf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.