(Topic ID: 205155)

*SPOILERS* Star Wars: TLJ is really bad and other Star Wars/Disney/Marvel talk *

By InfiniteLives

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 3,991 posts - Hot topic!
  • 274 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 minute ago by HoakyPoaky
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 202 votes
      33%
    • decent, better than the prequels 231 votes
      37%
    • really good, on par with the originals 75 votes
      12%
    • great! one of the best 71 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 41 votes
      7%

(620 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 236 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

37DBCE63-2D08-4D26-BBB7-81E0FE735F85 (resized).jpeg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    dims (resized).jpeg
    8643B809-CB73-45D6-A5DC-002D9099C9CA (resized).jpeg
    98E24434-441F-4301-8514-51C7F411A98C (resized).jpeg
    41972AC0-853E-4176-BCFA-F9E687D6BCBD.gif
    81SmFRdGTkL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    thats-impossible-luke-star-wars-1200x879 (resized).jpg
    BillBurr-720x405 (resized).png
    881F6808-527C-464E-BCEB-E8145B3FE269 (resized).jpeg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    40AC8A23-5366-4647-AAC5-78CE25EE1017 (resized).png
    sluggo (resized).JPG
    4E795214-BF8E-4F1B-9EE2-FE9F96F1C735.gif
    45FE8ADB-3F3E-4F72-99A3-BED7569E80B7 (resized).png
    Tapped_Out_Stupid_Sexy_Flanders (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #2827 Analysis worth watching. Posted by gdonovan (11 months ago)

Post #3520 Path to get Disney + discounted. Thanks @fosaisu Posted by fosaisu (3 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kvan99.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#94 1 year ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

you didnt roll your eyes at the horrible Leia flying thru space scene?

yeah, thats what i posted in the first post. like a serious slippery slope with that technique making everything else that ever happened pointless.

Good God man, this movie was even more embarrassing than The Force Awakens. I knew as soon as they opened with the phone call trick...wow, also a lone ship taking on a star destroyer? I was just shaking my head. Only R1 was done right. This is the after effect of endless super hero movies and JJ fucking Abrams. Thanks Disney now GFYS.

#97 1 year ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Couldn’t disagree more. This was the first good Star Wars movie.

May you live long and prosper so long as you don’t multiply.

#135 1 year ago

This was a kid movie. For the family folks glad you like it, as a fan, I want to vomit. I'd rather see Green Lantern again.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/892571/Star-Wars-8-Last-Jedi-movie-review-fan-reaction-spoilers-worst-bits

Even Mark Hamil telegraphed that he didn't like this movie.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/the-last-jedi-plot-luke-skywalker-script-mark-hamill-jedi-a7692386.html

#170 1 year ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

but these newer movies 7-8 just have better production and storylines made for adults a bit more.

Whaaat? This crappy yarn was formulaic to a Tee, developed for 10-18 yr olds. The only difference was some plot surprises that didn't even pay out. The Lego SW. The only thing missing was song and dance numbers. This is made by people who are more worried about box office than canon. Anyone defending this as the new SW and a new chapter is diluting themselves. But as long as people spend their money on this shit, they'll keep dishing it out. I'm done with the whole super hero, ST and SW movies for now. They're all but a shadow of their former glory. Kkkkkhan!!!!

#253 1 year ago

I am sorry if my title somehow ruined the experience for you, that was not the intention.

Ridiculous.

#304 1 year ago

Ummm, it would help the discussion if Rotten Tomato was actually around in 1977...? Also, I don't remember Luke running away, he was sent to train to become a Jedi after he destroyed the Empire's planet killer. But What do I know, JJ Abrams is a God.

#454 1 year ago

star-wars-the-last-jedi-yes-xizor-13048699 (resized).png

#506 1 year ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Counterpoint. I am a Star Wars fan, and I like movies to give me something I didn't expect. This movie was made for the fans. Not all fans have the same taste.

Yeah, but at 53% compared to the other SW movies mid 90% is still a pretty bad indication, you liked, he liked it, my grandma liked it doesn't change the shit numbers from a large swath of actual moviegoers. I suspect the numbers to be even lower than the 50 percentile, I don't frequent Rotten Tomato often but a careful examination of the reviews lead me to believe the movie studios have found a way to shill vote their movies even on Rotten Tomato. Just look at some of the reviews, the negative reviews overwhelmingly contain specific text about the movie but many of the 5-star positive reviews just have generic verbiage that could have been cut and paste from a database.

#540 1 year ago

I actually liked the CGI Yoda better. Flame suit on.

#596 1 year ago

The issue here is objectivity, can you really be objective with a widely loved franchise such as SW? If it was a generic sci-fi movie the critics and the audiences would have universally panned it. Sony obviously has leaned on the critics on this one....I don't buy it for a second that the movie we saw should be rated at 92%. I'm no critic but I know a thing or two about film and this was a sophomoric fumble at every level...(except for cashing in on a legendary legacy). If making money was the only thing this exercise was about then hats off to Mrs. Kennedy and clan. Mission Accomplished.

#671 1 year ago
    Quoted from Hawks:

Just watched episode 8 for the second time, enjoyed it even more this time around
    Great film

Then you might also like the Lego version:

#702 1 year ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Huh? The film all in will make over 2 Billion! I'm not worried about Disney...

I dunno Ted, they're calling JL a miss already and it made 650 Million. They have fuzzy math when it comes to these so-called "Tentpole" pictures. Also, this is not just about enjoying the picture and giving it a pass, I enjoyed Talladega Nights it was a ridiculously bad but fun movie. I have issue with the dumbing us down part, these big pictures are getting worse lately. They can insult our intelligence with JL and IM3 and the rest of them but SW was a bridge too far. It was special. I'm one of the people who actually made an RT account to downvote this piece of celluloid shit. Disney is not deaf, they're discussing this backlash already....Guaranteed. So yeah, whatever happens, Rian Johnson's script will be scrutinized more closely at the studio next time. I bet the same thing will happen for Kathleen Kennedy's free reign of the franchise.

#719 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Don't kid yourself Disney is concerned,

Yeah, kinda reminds me of the EA disaster...3.1 Billion wiped off the books because some jackass in a suit wanted to tweak a winning formula to squeeze out a little more money. I hope he's happy in his new job.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/28/eas-day-of-reckoning-is-here-after-star-wars-game-uproar.html

"The bigger issue here, though, is the scope of that controversy. After an EA statement on Reddit became the most downvoted post in that website's history, multiple news outlets began to cover the outrage that fans felt regarding EA's decision to hide most of Battlefront II's content in randomized loot boxes. EA was forced to reduce the in-game price of major heroes, and Disney's CEO eventually had to intervene and request that microtransactions be removed from the game. However, some suspect that Disney was well aware of the policy long before the intervention."

#763 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Honestly though I thought Episode 7 get a great job of incorporating the original and new characters. Han Solo still seemed like Han but a more mature version who as a father cared about his son

Sorry, I don't mean to be a contrarian but I'm not giving Abrams a pass yet...he sucks too. The whole thing with the way Han died was bullshit, it's just them saving 25 Mil on Ford's future appearances. I mean if you want to kill off the old guard fine, do it but build a f-ing story around it man. The movie opens, Kylo Ren is a bad guy, why? His parents fought the empire, his grandpa killed the f-ing emperor, his uncle is Luke Skywalker FFS! Why put him in a mask and make him look like Vader part deux? Why not just invent a new storyline where Snoke was trying to reconstitute the empire and attack the republic, ala ISIS in the mideast. Why not give Han and Leia a good send off, like them sacrificing their life so Rey and Finn can get away....die as husband and wife holding hands or some BS like that. This stuff just writes itself for chrissakes...Lol. These guys should be working on music videos not on the biggest movie franchise in the world. I can sit here in my living room in my boxers and type up with a more compelling story than this mess they've created.

#766 1 year ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

This is just so true. ^ ^ ^
    The legacy of this movie franchise is what Disney wanted to capitalize on. Spent 4 billion for it, so they weren't toying around.
    I love (d) these movies, always a part of my childhood and then carried it into my adult years, like most of you I am sure.
    Now it feels so..... tarnished.
    The stories are appealing to the youth market who don't know any better to begin with. So much fan service for the feminists, SJW's, diversity nuts etc.
    If they wanted to run in a new direction, so be it. They pulled a bait and switch and pointed out these would be better than the sequels, we have the original cast after all!
    Either write a new story line and run with that, or leave the tried and true heroes alone. Give them some dignity.
    I hope Episode 9 (if you are even brave enough to call these concurrent films) will be lessons learned. Millennial fan fiction sure isn't my thing.

I have a feeling TLJ will end up being a disappointment for them, they will rethink the whole approach. As Ben Heck said in an earlier post Solo was a mess too and the directors were fired, the only smart thing they did was put in Howard, he's had his share of misses but he knows how to spin a good yarn. So I'm thinking Solo won't be a huge disappointment but I'd doubt it will hit a Billion in tix sales. Btw, it's no accident Miller and Lord were fired and a veteran was brought in to replace them, same with the episode 9 guy... Trevor was his name or something (?), he was replaced by Abrams. So all is not well in the state of Denmark. Who knows TLJ and Solo may be the last nails in Mrs. Kennedy's coffin. I doubt it, cause boy she is connected to HW elite in a big way.

#768 1 year ago

Oh fuck....that explains a lot. I mean why all female? Why not a mix of talented people from both sexes and whatever in between? Isn't that reverse sexism? Or just sexism?

Just found this after reading the post above:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/22/movies/star-wars-last-jedi-women-run-universe.html

Lol....Game over man, game over.

#770 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Are you suggesting some kind of affirmative action here?

Are you asking for my opinion? I call it the way I see it, The entire Sci-Fi think-tank is female, so...right? NP if they're the best at the Sci-fi genre. But does this group fit that bill? The fan dissent started with the TFA and continued with TLJ, then we heard about the shit fest with Solo and now Trevorrow watshisface was dropped for EP 09. I dunno what do you think, winning formula?

#772 1 year ago

I'll take those 3 over these 2 any day........

PS: Any so called think tank that uses the directors from "Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs" for SW should be relegated to the mailroom for a decade, regardless of gender.

#777 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

The director of TLJ has no business being involved in the franchise any further.

But Tigerlaw, gdonovan posted a very telling piece of info, the real overlords are the think tank crew, RJ is a nobody, he's wasn't going to stand up and jeopardize his biggest directorial job not to mention his most lucrative payday. He probably rubber stamped everything they came up with.....God what I wouldn't give to be at one of those meetings when they pitched this rubbish...Ha.

#780 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Mine was that those movies are pretty much unwatchable

So I take it you're digging Avengers and JL?

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I probably could have gone the rest of my life without knowing about fishface monster undersea world, or that planet with all the sand or all the other stuff I’ve completly forgotten as it was boring and my appreciation of Star Wars would have been the same. But I’m glad some people got something out of it.

So yeah, it wasn't good, I agree, all I said was I rather watch that than the shit JJ Abrams and family puts together. I stand by that, any franchise that nerd touches dies for me.

PS: same goes for that other idiot from my home town Brett Rattner, another genius that's carrying on the legacy of Ingmar Bergman.

#784 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

How about seeing a functional republic and how it was governed? How about seein a functioning Jedi order? How about learning about the Sith and their history? How about seeing them slowly unfold how Palpatine corrupted the republic from the inside? The prequels gave us all kinds of stuff.
    The biggest thing the prequels gave us was a real war. We got nothing from TFA and TLJ except Death Star 3.0 then an instant return galaxy wide to the empire running the show and a small resistance (we didn’t get an explanation of how the republic fell and why it happened in one day...across tens of thousands of worlds...).

Any show can introduce a new character, that is a meaningless addition. You have to look at the lore that is added and expanded upon to see if a fantasy movie contributes to the franchise.
    In this case, TLJ (and to a lesser extent TFA) introduced nearly instantaneous travel across the galaxy (which sucks for story telling purposes long term). They also introduced hyper drive ramming, which was cool on one watch through but ruins fleet warfare moving forward for the entire franchise.

Exactly right..
    TFA highly creative and original script: introduced us to an abandoned orphan on desert planet, a cute robot with secret plans to a powerful weapon, a Death Star with with still only one fatal flaw....(an almost unguarded fatal flaw), an old hero dying trying to save someone he loves, a cantina filled with strange aliens, and a new villain cloaked in black and wearing a metal mask...a Sith apprentice who apparently cannot beat a starving homeless girl in a lightsaber duel. Whoohoo!

TLJ: A new Jedi, seeking an old master, a master that cannot be bothered, a new all powerful dark overlord, one that's so powerful he knows his apprentice's every thought..except, well, you know, Mary Popping becoming a Jedi, A purple haired admiral that's harboring a secret that can save 40 minutes of this dreadful movie, a misinformed, quick to judge pilot that's wrong every freaking time, a daring side mission involving gambling and weapon dealings, a code breaker......wha? a code breaker? Will you fucking stop and break out a lightsaber duel........wait no lightsaber duel in a SW movie?...GTFO! Ahhh, fuck it, let's go see Jumanji .

#793 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Complaints about pacing, continuity errors, etc. are all well and good, but is this thread really devolving into a bunch of snowflakes bitching that they let some girls into space? Or that they didn’t get Michael Bay to direct it?
    If you’re doing political litmus tests for directors and producers now, it’s really going to trim down the number of films you can enjoy.

Way to go, thanks for dumbing it down it further, where did anyone write we can't have females writing, producing or directing SW? We were questioning an all female team developing stories. Perfectly valid. Also, in this case, looks like the franchise is in serious disarray. If the movie was good we wouldn't be talking about this at all. There is 14 pages of people bitching about it before the revelation.

PS: RT with over 150.000 viewer reviews is standing at 51%.

#796 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes, this is the kind of universe expansion that millions of Star Wars fans found so engrossing and exhilarating. You see, never before did we know that the republic was considering focusing more on the exporting, but only
    After complicated and deceptive machinations by the sith, settled on continued focus on the importing. This is how an exporting/importing empire settles its long-term economic strategy - with thunderous applause!!!!
    If only the group think sheep would open their minds to this deep, layered storytelling, they’d learn to appreciate the prequels!!
    So much better than the new movies.

Not perfectly valid - perfectly dumb. You suggested that having three women in charge of showrunning is ruining Star Wars. How can you “dumb down” a statement that stupid? It’s impossible.
    Also, over 70 percent of people here like the new Star Wars movie. There’s not “14 pages of people bitching” about the movie, it’s a “both sides” discussion. There’s fine, fine people on both sides.

Again, you misrepresented the facts Mr. smart guy, please wipe the Cheetos off your face first before reminding us how witty and clever you are, over and over again, are you overcompensating for something? Ahh, your mom must be so proud. The all-female story development was the issue, also the story sucks, regardless of who wrote it.

#802 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah I’m overcompensating for my small penis

Oh, so you actually have one...cool, you can stay in this thread.

#808 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

It’s not three. It’s eleven, yes eleven and all female because they all happened to be the “best fit for the job”.

I agree with your post, I don't give 2 shits if a film is made by a team of pygmies if the film is good. If the film sucks we should question the people behind it, especially if you paid almost 40 bucks to see it. I'm willing to wager after Solo bombs at the B.O. you will see a change at Lucasfilm. 75 thousand people panning this film is no fluke.

#813 1 year ago

Yes, just the price of tix for 2.

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-last-jedi-fans-petition-rotten-tomatoes-shut-down/

Also, I just found out Disney put a moratorium in place for critics wanting to review the movie. The other controversy was certain critics were hand-picked by the studio for the invitation to get wined and dined to preview the movie. Can you see how they put their finger on the scale, they must think we're a bunch of idiots.

#863 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yup.
    Sure it's been questioned but i have no idea what level of involvement/pressure/rules The SW people crack down on directors. I know it Marvel it's utterly smothering and you don;t have a ton of say in how things evolve. Athough...
    "Expectations are high for Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and it appears Disney and Lucasfilm are happy with the way the film turned out: today, Disney announced that its director, Rian Johnson, will be launching an entirely new trilogy in the Star Wars franchise."
    So seems everyones happy with each other?

Which leads to script & directing. General Hux & Poe are fine actors in other things and were good in TFA, but not well done here. Poe's biggest issue was he was just a total frikking spaz. Like watching Dick Richie act in True Romance

Wow, I'm upvoting thelaw....wtf?

#875 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Similar? Same.

From Box office Mojo:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=openingweekendshowdown.htm

TLJ made more money on Thursday than on Friday? See the last 2 days on the bottom...maybe running out gas. 1.6 Billion estimated worldwide BO is a dream now.

sw (resized).PNG

#896 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

How cool would of it been if Lando had been the code breaker that Fin and Rose went searching for? That would have been a perfect setup for a casino type planet.
    I could see Fin and Rose talking to a reluctant Lando with him about to leave before Fin says "General Leias life depends on it" stopping Lando in his tracks and convincing him to help. Lando could have then went out in style.

Ha, what a great idea...too bad you're a dude. Also, anyone else thinks Benicio was channeling "Fencer" from The Usual Suspects?

#903 1 year ago

She's super connected. Spielberg, Redstone, and Cruise. Also, Frank Marshall is her husband. So that's why.

#918 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Though of course, this is the same series where Han/Finn bump into Rey at complete random on a PLANET SIZED BASE. (The Coincidence Awakens)

You beat me to it, this is one of the BS coincidence that was not very smart or elegant. The Freaking Millenium Falcon has been rusting away on a desert planet for 25 years and she turns the key and vroom, junker girl is outflying imperial fighters. And then later out of nowhere, she bumps into Han and Chewie on the galactic interstate highway.

PS: The movie's budget was 200 Mil, add another 100 for marketing, the movies needed approx 600 Mil to be profitable. It just passed 1 Billion in worldwide ticket sales.

#951 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well it worked fine with Rogue One.
    J/K that thing was a mess.

Well, the upvote thing didn't last long...huh?

#991 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Short and to the point, I like it.
    Now 50% at RT and the critics rating going down as well.
    I hear Disney is looking at a follow up book that "explains" various events in the movie as damage control, good luck with that.
    Profanity warning, don't be drinking coffee either.
    » YouTube video

I don't want to get into the Prequel VS TLJ argument but I have to say I love the clip where Hamil says "Remember kids, in Hollywood, it's not important if it's of high quality only if it makes money". He hates both of these films, hates them I tell ya....Lol.

Ok I'll say one thing about the prequels Lucas was woefully out of practice, he hadn't directed anything for a while, also it was a new dawn in movie making with CGI he was too focused on how the movie looked rather than story...that's my opinion. With that said the last one Revenge of the Sith was (in Larry David's voice pretty, pretty good.

#1011 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

For me, Rogue One is the worst SW film. (and it's hard to imagine how much worse it was before reshoots)
    2/3rds of that movie is completely pointless. Entire scenes are written as fan service, like where Darth Vader and Krennick discuss things the audience already knows about. The moral dilemma of "should I kill her dad?" is rendered moot when X-wings blow him up. A little girl would not have a Stormtrooper doll (would a French girl have a Nazi doll in 1943?) The main character has zero purpose or agency. The mom committing suicide instead of helping her daughter makes me wonder if the screenwriter ever knew a mother in their life.
    It's all a bunch of filler to get to the end battle - which is pretty good and actually more "Star Wars-y" than TFA or TLJ, but is like putting a cupcake on top of cow manure.
    The prequels were poorly directed and blandly acted, but at least every scene had a purpose, they were consistent within their own logic, and Anakin's choices as a character had effects on the story.

I actually thought it was good, 2/3 of the movie pointless? come on. The scene with Vader and Krennic was not superfluous, he needed the motivation to go to Scarrif and look for the communications...if he had been relieved of duty by Tarkin then we would wonder why he was still pursuing the leak. The assassination soul-searching moment was also needed to indicate a change in the character where he later decides to join Jyn and disobey orders...it's called character development. As far as the main character having zero purpose....wow, the whole story was about a girl and her father, a father that had lost his family and was forced by the empire to build a weapon against his own ideology. How do you makeup a cause/motivation for a scientist that built a massive secret flaw in a great weapon without a back story......gimme a break.

#1032 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

The only relevant information in the first 2/3rds of Rogue One is her dad's hologram message:
    "I built a flaw in the death star, here's why I did it, here's how to exploit it, find the plans on Scariff, and this message is genuine because I know my daughter's nickname"
    That's IT! That is all they need to know. Everything else is pointless filler until they get to Scariff.
    It's also stupid because the rebels now KNOW there is a weakness, yet in Ep4 Leia says "I hope once analyzed a weakness can be found".
    Would have made more sense for R1 to be about finding her dad (rather than Saw Gerrara) and he still dies, but in dying breath says "I built a weakness... plans are on Scariff... you'll know where to find them.... Stardust"
    Because then they'd actually be a point to finding her dad, and him dying would obscure the facts a bit.
    I enjoyed most of TLJ but it had a few major issues that dragged it down for me. But it's still better than the mostly pointless Rogue One.

Bawwwahaha. Stick to electronics.

#1035 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Tight rebuttal.

Yeah, well I think I already did in my earlier post so it would be "pointless" and "stupid" to revisit again. But feel free to add your two cents.

#1077 1 year ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Finally got around to seeing TLJ and y'all nerds are flipping out over nothing. Movie was a blast. Great Star Wars flick.
    Star Wars is dead, long live Star Wars!

Well, then again every movie is good when you’re high.

#1106 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Accurate reflection of reality.
    Just look at the comments in this thread, the movie is bombing out. No less than Forbes is pointing out the damage done to the franchise. It is under performing by 300 million and when all is said and done looking to be short 700-800 million under projections.
    Disney packaged poop in a box with a Star Wars decal on it and got a bunch of suckers in the first few weeks, now the rest have figured out its a turd and want nothing to do with it.
    Even the director Rian Johnson is starting to flee and has stated JJ Abrams can reverse changes he made.
    Whats Abrams going to do? Have the Enterprise warp slingshot back in time and space to stop Disney from mucking the whole thing up? LOL

Lol....word, Jedi brother.

#1164 1 year ago

Also as you mentioned the toy sales will suffer, the repeat viewer numbers will be greatly reduced. You can also reasonably project ho hum numbers for other collateral earnings such as dvds, on demand and merchandise licensing of the TLJ title. Then again you don't have to look too far to see how Disney feels about TLJ than RJ being shown the door and old bland Mr. Lens Flash brought back for Ep 9 to do damage control. I'm just waiting on Solo to hit the fan.

#1179 1 year ago

I dunno, they are giving him a whole new trilogy for himself... unless they canned that which i dont think they did.

http://www.slashfilm.com/rian-johnsons-star-wars-trilogy/
    There is no trilogy....not even an outline. Also I’ll eat my hat if he helms anymore SW films.

#1192 1 year ago

quoted for future hat eating updates

Cool...did I mention my hat is a Porg?

36FC5F21-5BA7-4CE7-922D-375B46C0503A (resized).png

#1194 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I’m sure they make ‘em. I got a Porg shirt for Xmas.

9C9CFB6B-DFA6-4F3F-AA2D-B0732E096399 (resized).jpeg

#1200 1 year ago

Yeah...what a waste. Same with Luke and Han, they could have killed them both off in a much better way but alas they were born with penises and had to go. Chewie better get a perm or he’s next.

Pics of Chewbacca in the new Solo movie just leaked:

6C7AC0AA-BC1F-48AB-956E-EF051EF6D4DF (resized).jpeg

#1218 1 year ago

Or maybe the Chinese just know a crap movie when they see one. Star Wars probably doesn't translate well.

#1227 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I agree TLJ made a bunch of money, but the damage done to the franchise is almost impossible for Disney to recover from. When you have a movie that alienates your fan base it is felt on future movie releases.
    Excitement like what Star Wars “had” cannot be forced on the public, it has to organically grow. What could they possibly do to get people excited and talking about the next movie in anticipation of release now? Nothing, not even canning Kennedy will bring any interest in the next movie.
    Star Wars will always be a big franchise and it will have future $1 billion releases I am sure, but the days of people going to see it I. Mass four or five times on release are over and it’s because of the TLJ.

Tiger, yes SW is a big franchise but wasn't Alien and the rest of the superhero bunch big at one time? They've canned Tron, JD, Blade Runner, Alien, The Watchmen Terminator etc, all because of poor earnings. I think Solo will be the litmus test for this experiment. KK may go bye-bye if Solo splatters.

#1260 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I was wondering whether Disney would try and do any damage control. I personally doubt they will. They still think (or at least state publicly) that Kennedy and RJ created an absolute bloody masterpiece of story telling and all of us unhappy people are really just bots on the internet.
    To do damage control they have to first admit they made some mistakes here or there...and that us unhappy fans are not fake bots on the internet.

Sadly, it seems so. I’m still hopeful though, basically the same money as a stand-alone SW (R1) movie will lead to some questions at the corner offices.

#1261 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Fair point. Look obviously he ins't going to say he's pissed but yeah maybe he likes everything in it? It's just weird becasue it's all the opposite of what he did. Maybe when you're getting paid so much whom gives a shit and we can just do whatever they want and laugh all the way to the bank.

This^^^^^ that’s why I’m a crusty angry old fan. Actually I’m 49 but still. These guys don’t care about their art anymore, it’s all about the Dollahs.

#1293 1 year ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

I have hated Episode 1 for years (I stood in line for 15 hours for that crap and then feel asleep during the pod race) but at least it mostly told a cohesive story and told the story you wanted it to. It's flaws were a bunch of annoying characters and bad dialogue. The Last Jedi makes those same flaws with Rose and Laura Dern's character alone and those are far from the worst parts about the movie. I would gladly watch Episode 1, 2 and 3 again before watching TLJ again.

Same here....I also want to point out, it was 1999, the very dawn of CGI and he was more focused on the look than the story (I agree, the casting, acting and dialogue sucked ass). Lastly, he created SW, so he had the license to fuck it up, it was his baby. That aforementioned license does not extend to KK and RJ. What is their excuse? Disney could have hired a dozen talented directors to helm SW, she picked young, unknown droopies she could control.
    List of directors:
    Ridley Scott
    Joseph Kosinski (Tron Legacy and Oblivion)
    Doug Liman (The Edge of tomorrow)
    Terry McDonough (director of the tv show The Expanse)
    Matt Reeves (Director of the last 2 Planet of the Apes)
    Russo Brothers (Capt America series)
    Neil Blomkamp (District 9)
    Wachowski's brothers...or sisters
    and if you want to go indy you can get William Eubank (Director of The Signal)

I'd even choose these 2 below before RJ and the cloudy w/chance of Meatballs dudes....(gimme a f-ing break is she for real?)
    Francis Lawrence (Hunger Games series)
    Robert Schwentke (Divergent series)

#1310 1 year ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I love how they didn't even know she was a women, I try not to get into this whole thing with Star Wars but I find it hard to believe they didn't know she was a women.

Well you know because Kennedy couldn't google her name.

#1316 1 year ago

The thing comes to my mind is Jimi Hendrix's album title "Are you experienced"........so she made Handmaids tale, which if you've all seen the original British movie or the new Hulu one know it's not Sci-fi, it's more of a dystopian drama than a space opera. But anyway, it's cool, maybe she's really talented like RJ.

Ridley Scott on the idea of the rookie SW directors and him directing a SW movie:

I think they like to be in control, and I like to be in control myself. When you get a guy who’s done a low-budget movie and you suddenly give him $180 million, it makes no sense whatsoever. It’s fuckin’ stupid. You know what the reshoots cost?
    Millions! Millions. You can get me for my fee, which is heavy, but I’ll be under budget and on time. This is where experience does matter, it’s as simple as that! It can make you dull as dishwater, but if you’re really experienced and you know what you’re doing, it’s fucking essential. Grow into it, little by little. Start low-budget, get a little bit bigger, maybe after $20 million, you can go to $80. But don’t suddenly go to $160.

#1319 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

What exactly are you afraid she'll do that hasvn't been done already by a man like Rain?

I saw what you did. Well Law, I must object to your clever feminization of Rian's name.

#1322 1 year ago

he called him rainman dood

Oh, my bad, carry on....

#1324 1 year ago

Holy shit, now I see it.....it makes sense now.

Mark-Hamill-as-Luke-Skywalker-on-the-Millennium-Falcon-in-Star-Wars-lo-Last-Jedi (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #1340 1 year ago

Weird..That guy must be a tool, I watched the video agreeing with everything he said but then the video rolled into his last segment which covered the primere and supposedly he had just seen it (I bet he was lying and he hadn't see it yet) and he had nothing but complementary things to say. I was like wtf?

#1350 1 year ago

Here is the clip I was talking about.

#1397 1 year ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

Before you get too excited by the “Game of Thrones producers” excitement, please remember they were using award winning fantasy fiction for the first few seasons.
    The TV show is on cable where nudity, sex and gratuitous violence are demanded. They exhausted the source material. I myself was really dissapointed by the story telling they crested to advance the overall story. Too rushed, felt like fan faction to me.
    It will be interesting to see how they do with an open concept Star Wars film. Apples to Oranges.
    Just to satisfy the thread, The Last Jedi is really, really bad

But at least Dinklage will be a shoe-in for R2.

#1417 1 year ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

They are out of ideas. You can tell me I’m wrong but I think that in many ways people are nowhere near as creative as they used to be.

Hey, let's write an outline. Ok, so we have a youngling Jedi that was spared when Vader killed them all. A few years later he joins the Imperial forces, only to get close enough to Vader so he could kill him. The young man shows remarkable talent and is picked for the death squad troopers. While in training the young hero meets his rival, an ambitious high born imperial officer who is determined to be Vader's apprentice......
    Sounds good so far? I just made that shit up sitting here on the sofa fanning my balls.

#1419 1 year ago

Speaking of originality, anyone seen the Netflix movie "The Cloverfield Paradox"? The production value is shockingly good. The story wasn't half bad either. Thank goodness Abrams just produced this time.

#1431 1 year ago
    Quoted from Geocab:

Best I can say is it sounded great.
    A lot of dumb happenings that I felt the writers made up as they went along. Ok, this guy is in this room, it'd be neat if he died this way. And the convoluted attempt to tie the movie into the Cloverfield universe was silly. The original script had no ties to the universe and it shows.
    All that said, it kept me entertained, but definitely turn your brain off while watching.

Yeah, I agree, it was just ok. I did like the set design, CGI and stuff. I thought it looked like a big budget movie.

2 weeks later
    #1432 1 year ago

“Gremlin JJ Abrams claims backlash came from fans threatened by women”

https://www.reddit.com/r/MGTOW/comments

Lol “Gremlin”, now that’s a cut down.

#1434 1 year ago

Sorry, I didn’t read the whole thread but Reddit is brutal even by net standards. I just liked the headline ( I took the link partially out). Ontoh, saying the fans anger against this movie is because of their aversion to strong women is just begging for more backlash.

#1457 1 year ago

Lol...I only have about a dozen bluray dvds, Extraordinary Gents is one of them, Iron Giant, Matrix, Black Hawk Down, Gattaca, Brazil, Enemies at the gate, Speed Racer and of course Rogue One

In your face Heck man.

#1458 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I enjoyed the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. The depiction of Hyde was great. Dorian Grey was great. I think had it been released when the super hero craze really got going it may have been successful enough for sequels.

I have the book too. I don't collect comic books but I have a few, less than 10. I have the super duper one with the 3d glasses hard back cover that has the complete collection of The League stories. Allan Moore is awesome.

#1461 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Allan Moore is awesome! I don't know if you were into Watchmen, but the Absolute Edition (first published in ~2006) is incredible, fully re-colored by the original art team and printed at larger size which really showcases the terrific art. Totally worth the cost. That said, if you're not down with giant books though, the Deluxe Edition has the same re-colored art and high-quality paper, is more affordably priced, and weighs half as much.

I don't have the book but I know of it, Watchmen is probably the most underrated comic and movie out there...

1 week later
    #1495 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

helmed by raging social justice warrior Kathleen Kennedy

Ya know, IMO, I don't even think she is a SJW. She's more of a militant feminist to me. I mean fine, she has a chip on her shoulder, some a-holes exec in Hollywood screwed her over many years ago, so now she's militant. Again fine, make a superhero movie with a strong female role, make more Wonder Woman, Super Girl, Cat Woman, Bat Girl, whatever.....but why mess with a beloved 40-year-old series to prove a point? SW is not about males or females. Shit, it's not even about humans. It was bigger than earth, more universal. It was just a petty move on her part.

#1502 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Shocking to see a publicly traded company’s behavior driven by money.

Exactly, so you would think they'd make a movie that would break the last record not fall short. TLJ toy sales are down 50%, they estimate toy sales can bring in up 3x the box office of the movie itself. In any case, I guarantee you that they will course correct, they just won't admit it publicly. Let's hope Solo is as bad as they say.....then it will become much clearer.

#1507 1 year ago

Just to be clear I did not say it was supposed to gross higher than TFA, I was just saying that they would TRY to make a movie that breaks the last record. Eventually, TFA's record will fall we just don't know when and how. lest we forget, in 1977 Star Wars was a game changer, the world hadn't seen anything this good in the genre. Lucas came back and made the prequels when CGI caught up with his imagination, again he did some special things visually. TFA, R1, TLJ are all just regular space flicks by comparison. Perfect example was Dredd, we all laughed, it looked like straight to video from the trailers but when people saw the movie the word of mouth got around. Alex Garland took the job seriously and the directing, acting and the visuals followed suit. JJ, Rian, Trevor and the rest of them are just OK directors....nothing special. it's like Matchbox 20 vs U2.

1 week later
    #1511 1 year ago

Lol.

#1530 1 year ago
    Quoted from Geocab:

I enjoyed War Horse.

The last one I liked was AI. Probably cause he just directed, Kubrick wrote the whole damn thing.

#1534 1 year ago

TARS was awesome. The movie itself was great but only if you’re Quantum Physicist.

#1538 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Force awakens was fun as shit.... Although I agree other than that.

Yea, fun as a pile of shit.

#1540 1 year ago

Good one....

#1546 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

https://filmgoblin.com/box-office/the-last-jedis-box-office-disaster/#numbers
    In fact, when you total up all of the numbers, the budget, the rentals, the marketing, the operations, etc it looks like The Last Jedi will make a profit of around $153M — from a main story-line Star Wars movie. That’s looks like a Cash-On-Cash Return of under one.
    That means there is already $627M missing from The Last Jedi’s P & L report when compared to The Force Awakens. And that’s before anyone cracks open the actuals of the Chinese marketing debacle that saw massive, massive outlays with no return.
    Here is the takeaway: An amount equivalent to 80% profit of The Force Awakens – from ALL venues and platforms worldwide – is missing from The Last Jedi’s balance sheet.

Now, that's an analysis. Has he been reading our posts? Our Prophecy will not be complete till Solo bombs, KK is fired and RJ's trilogy gets sold to SYFY channel.

#1565 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think that’s why they announced the RJ future trilogy. They were hoping to create buzz and excitement behind him even in the face of what they had to knew was going to be a harmful movie to franchise health. My guess is that trilogy gets canceled.

Canceling it is not good enough for me..it needs to be sold to Hulu or Amazon so it can be made into a generic low budget space flick so RJ can question how did this happen and do some soul searching.....Moron. A fresh film grad would have done a better job, Seesh...Admiral Hold the fuck up (shaking head).

#1574 1 year ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

I cringe a little every time I hear a critique of TLJ that includes "SJW" or "feminist". There are so many better and more justifiable reasons to hate this movie. There is nothing wrong with wanting to have a movie with strong female characters and I feel like arguing otherwise makes you not only look like an asshole but also justifies this garbage movie in a way.

I agree I've said the same thing in an earlier post, but the feminist undertone is so overt, it was very hard to miss. So it naturally became part of the criticism, unfortunately.

#1582 1 year ago

Haha, look at RJ's face when Mark says "I told him we have to remember what the fans think"

https://www.cnn.com/videos/cnnmoney/2018/03/22/mark-hamill-rian-johnson-star-wars-luke-skywalker-fate-orig.cnnmoney

#1588 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

RJ: “we need to form a bubble around ourselves at the very start of it & say we are going to tell a story we care about. We’re going to make choices that feel right to US & we’re not going to second guess ANY of them, based on OMG...what is everyone going to think of this? We are just going to follow our own internal compass”
    MH: “Then I would say ‘We have to remember what the fans will think’, and he said NO, we have to remember what we think. And that was a pivitol moment for me.”
    F**K you RJ. Seriously. F**K you.
    God bless you Mark Hamill. Both you & the fans were royally screwed by this effing egotistical asshat.
    IDK what’s more upsetting... RJ’s statement.... or his ear-curdling fake ass laugh at the beginning of that segment.

Lol, the guy is mental......I love the way Mark sticks it to him in every interview in such a benign way. Can you tell how genuine Mark is though? He was just speaking his mind about the character and the movie till he was put on notice by someone from Disney.

#1592 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Remember when this trilogy was announced how exciting it was with JJ?
    Rehash or not, it worked.
    Pretty quiet in JJ Abrams front now.
    The handlers have him muzzled to somehow save the ship again.

After what he did with ST, I wouldn't say I felt excited when I heard the news, for me my hunch was correct.

#1645 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

I'm the day-walker. I dislike both R1 and TLJ.

I could take your whole plot graph apart piece by piece but I'm too tired, but I'll give you a line for your upcoming Bible Adventure: Don't cast pearls before swine.

#1648 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Rogue One strikes me as more of a "new wine into old skins" scenario.

A wise man once said there are basically 6 plots in all of our stories or movies....ever.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2016/jul/13/three-six-or-36-how-many-basic-plots-are-there-in-all-stories-ever-written

#1660 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

TFA - Thumbs up
    R1 - Horrible
    TLJ - Horrible
    The only real question is, is R1 worse than TLJ. In a way R1 is much much much worse on every single level. But no one cares because they aren't characters anyone gives a shit aboot so it isn't personal.
    TLJ actually had some sweet crap in it (I don't think R1 had any really great stuff, or if it did I don't remember it), but the lows were some o the lowest things ever put on a movie screen. Mary Poppins makes "Noooooo" look like Kenneth Brannaugh's Hamlet.
    EDIT: I mean if I HAD to watch one of them again it would be hard to choose...but I'd probably do TLJ. But then after the beginning comedy monologue I would get pissed and throw in R1.
    EDIT 2: But then after watching the beginning of R1 with ships landing 2 miles away from Death Star dudes house so they can dramatically walk towards is I'd probably throw TLJ back on.

Oh get a life man...seriously. Your taste in movies rivals your taste in pinball.

#1662 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

He's not wrong ...

He's so wrong he's almost right. As usual.

#1663 1 year ago

If he had any taste or film acumen he would've used Franco Zeffirelli's Hamlet not Branagh's.

#1671 1 year ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

I'm always surprised to hear you guys actually claim to like TFA. That movie blew and was just a crappy retelling of the Original. Sure, it was better than anything put out since 1983, but that's not saying much.

Yes! And to claim TFA was better Than R1 should make one question their taste, I say taste because any art form is highly subjective. Second, to ripoff “A New Hope” was a huge missed opportunity. There were literally a million ways to continue the franchise without having to retread new hope. Heck keeps questioning plot holes, there are huge plot holes in almost every SW movies. Don’t take my word for it, just google it. TFA failed due to the lack of creativity in the storytelling, R1 nailed it by seamlessly working the new story into the old one. TLJ failed because of lack of regard for SW established storyline and norms and disregard for SW canon, not to mention its heavy handed needless political messaging.

#1672 1 year ago

Heck, suffers from looking at circuits too long, he thinks movies are like a Quadratic equations, they’re not! Come on man, we all know engineers don’t make good artists...have you heard the voice overs for AMH?

#1674 1 year ago

Yes, he helped pitch the story with Gary Whitta a bonifide screenwriter but the writing credit goes to Tony Gilroy (someone who is known to be HW troubleshooter) and Chris Weitz.

PS: I can come up with a 1000 story lines but to write a HW worthy script is another thing altogether.

#1697 1 year ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Nobody posted a link to the new Solo trailer yet? I am surprised.
    » YouTube video

I will boycott this till it comes out on dvd. Looking at this trailer I have to say they made a mistake in casting, they shouldn't have casted all of these known faces, the GOT chic, the Westworld chic, Woody Harrelson, they should've cast a few of them with unknowns.

#1724 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Disappointing performance by those down-vote bots, I figured they would have got it down into single digits by now.

Yeah, and we're all bots here too. Beep, Beep.

#1727 1 year ago

Well, I can tell you that not a lot of people are defending this picture, here or anywhere. Even in this thread if you go back to the first few pages, there were some folks actually defended this POS, but later in the thread, some of them decidedly changed their tone. This movie is a disaster from every angle, the question you should be asking is who the hell are those people who actually voted up this movie and how can I relieve them of their money.

#1735 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I had a good time watching it live on opening night with a giant group of friends in a rented out private theater (only the treatment of Luke, the ram, and flying Leia really bothered me in the theater).
    The more time that passed the more irritated I became when I thought of the plot holes and what it did to the franchise in general. When I started reading all the garbage “positive” reviews from “experts” I got really irritated.

WTF Tiger? The lone fighter against the Star Destroyer, the hold the line joke, the Light Saber over the shoulder joke, the Porgs, the weird hole in the ground on the island that was never explained, the whole casino excursion, the Rose character, Admiral Pinky Winky, Captain Phasma's death, Snoke death, the whole long distance force BS, Yoda's embarrassing dialogue, all of that didn't bother you?

1 week later
    #1780 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Correction... gdonovan is indeed NOT a douche nozzle! I am

Now that’s high level self deprecation...right on!

#1788 1 year ago

OT: https://nofilmschool.com/2015/01/atropa-low-budget-sci-fi-short-cant-afford-miss

Studio Canal picked this up for a series....not sure how many episodes are planned.

1 week later
    #1793 1 year ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

That site is one of those click bait sites filled with annoying pop-up ads so I didn't go past the first page.

Oh sorry, here is the same story, in a different format:

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/03/solo-actor-phil-lord-chris-miller-werent-prepared-star-wars-alden-ehrenreich-not-good-1201943599/

1 week later
    #1810 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Point being, don't shit on the fans. They're the only reason the SW brand has value.

This is one of the main reasons for the backlash, RJ (as you saw in the interview )told Hamil we shouldn’t care what the fans think.

#1828 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I just don’t understand why Star Wars is the franchise they have taken over and decided to run into the dirt. Disney paid a bunch of money for the franchise but they just handed it over to these morons and are letting them run amok with their SJW agenda.
    Oh well, we all know Solo is going to totally bomb next week. I hope it stays below Deadpool, that would be freaking awesome.

I know...why even leak that news about Lando anyway? What's the angle? If you want Lando to get jiggy with a space octopus, just do it. I mean they've fucked over every old character so why not.

#1862 1 year ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

LOL. I think I'll just leave my comment and call it a day. I'll continue to support Star Wars because my son loves it and will observe to see if his childhood gets ruined by this ....whatever you call this.
    and yea, im a fan of rogue one. Great movie. Best of them all? no, but definitely in the top 3 for me.

Preach it Jedi...

#1877 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

summed up my feeling why I would see Solo

Admit it, you just want to see Lando getting it on with a space creature.

#1892 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

One thing that I find inexcusable on the part of Disney, was the story line of TFA. You would think out of any company, Disney would have the most imaginative and creative people working for them. They had the biggest franchise in movie history to work with, that could have had endless possibilities, and they ended up telling the same exact story that Lucas did 40 years ago. TFA was EP.4 with a glossy paint job. I will admit that some of the scenes were cool, and I liked some of the new characters, but after waiting years for a new movie, I would have like to have seen a new movie with a fresh story.

That’s why I hated that movie, so sad, zero creativity. One other thing, the series always got the bad guys right, even the prequels. We had Tarkin, the emperor, Count Dooku all excellent characters. Even Krennick from R1 was great and from them they went to General Hux..unbelievable.

#1897 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Not possible.
    Most people want to just get about their business in peace and quiet, SJW want to run your life as they see fit.
    Speaking of good videos.. All about the customer service.
    » YouTube video

Ha, thanks for posting...I also watched this one and couldn't help notice the parallels to our pinball hobby.

#1914 1 year ago

The reviews are rolling in and RT is lit up, 18000 reviews in 11 hours. The rebellion is gaining strength.

#1921 1 year ago

Also from what I read, this ain't no SW movie anyway, it's basically an old fashion heist movie with SW as a background.

#1927 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

I never got his popularity...he has cool armor, that’s it! He did nothing to capture Han (Darth Vader and crew did the work and handed him off). Sure he escaped Cloud City and made the delivery to Jabba, but after that? Got punked and eaten by the sarlaac! He had maybe 5 minutes of screen time!
    Effff Boba Fett!

If they're doing Boba, they have to do Dr. Cornelius, the man is a legend with death sentences in 12 systems

#1954 1 year ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I broke down last night as one of my buddies wanted to go. It’s better than TLJ but it’s also very meh. The Lando thing is just odd and makes no sense, it’s not terrible, it’s just dumb. Glover does a good job, actually everyone does but there is just nothing in the script. It’s just a generic and predictable. There is a lot of moments that are meant for a laugh that fall complete flat. There are a couple of moments that work and remind how great it could have been they are pretty few and far between. They play Han as kind of a tween romantic that didn’t really work for me. Couple times I was like is this supposed to be Han or Edward from twighlight. It’s not terrible it’s just a lazy cookie cutter studio film for your teenage to tweens demographic. The kind of movie you watch when you have nothing better to do and forget when you walk out of the theatre.

Awww, man.....how could you?

2915c3977ffb29f9fb95346aef6efd58 (resized).jpg

#1985 1 year ago
    Quoted from rai:

I read $300M Solo budget but it’s not official that I can see.
    I think Solo did $10M in China while Avengers Infinity did like $170M opening week in China.

Solo' s budget is reportedly higher than 300 mil, according to the different outlets over half the movie was reshot. They need 400 mil to break even with the added marketing costs. Also, I don't think there is such a thing as SW fatigue....this is backlash coupled with a lackluster story. The main character's casting was wrong. The story line is not compelling, just look at the trailer what is it telling us? Atleast R1 dovetailed nicely in the SW major storyline and answered a question on how the plans for the DS was received. Solo told us how he got his name and famous blaster, just not enough for me. One last thing I heard about a cameo about a crime boss, when I found out who they wrote in I laughed out loud...talk about bad choices.

#1989 1 year ago

Well, yes I was pointing out the cost of the film. The 400 mil is what Disney needs to come out even.

#2001 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Are you kidding me? There is a shower scene with Han and Chewie?
    Watch the video while you can, I'm sure it will get yanked! SPOILERS!

Haha, is this great or what. This is by far the best one I've seen so far.

#2011 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Holy hell. If John "Professional Shill" Campea is against her, she must be toast.
    Solo might not even make it past 300 million WORLDWIDE. That's absolutely abysmal for any big movie in the modern era, let alone Star Wars, let alone a movie whose budget was nearly doubled with reshoots.
    But remember, "everyone loved" The Last Jedi and there was no backlash whatsoever <- official narrative.

Yeah, I can't believe it either, this guy is a major paid pumper for SW and Disney, I had forgotten about his wife. I'm going to say that I don't think she's toast yet, I'm betting Iger will wait till Ep 9 wraps and then have her step down. She is very connected so firing her after Solo and on the heels of the Rosanne debacle makes Disney look like it's a corporation in disarray.

#2012 1 year ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

The problem is where can they go from here? They have no where to go? Does anyone care what happens with 9, I know I don’t. I figure they have one minor story when Obi wan kills Darth Maul and even that is wrapping up a pretty cheap plot line. They can’t have Han and Obi-wan meet and the can’t have Han and Darth Maul meet, but Obi-wan needs to kill Darth Maul. I take it back that story line is a complete mess now too. They have completed messed up the universe.

No, the arc of the story is already there, he will just follow it, the man has no freaking vision. It will be show down between Rey and Kylo, which will most likely culminate in Kylo switching sides and becoming a rebel. We will also see another battle with a reconstituted Rebellion vs. the first order, which will end with the Rebels destroying yet another massive weapon.

#2019 1 year ago

Damn, it's worst than I thought, Solo dropped 77% for 8 million Dollars box office on Friday. DP2 has retaken the no 1 spot again. A Star Wars movie taken by a B tier comic hero, unbelievable.

#2042 1 year ago
    Quoted from Eryeal:

I think the only way IX can be saved is if they find very creative ways to retcon what Rian did, which I do think is possible. They'd have to bring Luke back (he disappeared, didn't appear as a force ghost, so they could come up with something here), and make it so Snoke ties into Palpatine and ends up just his physical body is destroyed and reemerges even stronger (can add to mythos here). And then Rey will have to be the daughter of a major force character (easily done since they could say Kylo was trying to deceive her about her real parents). JJ did say early on that his interpretation of Star Wars 1-9 is that it's "all about family", which Rian promptly destroyed that notion purposefully. If JJ still believes that, it's possible he basically re-does everything and ties it in.
    But it's a tall task to do in one movie. With two movies it would be a lot easier to retcon what Rian did and make a stronger arc, but with one .... maybe. It'll have to be pretty long.

I hope you’re right but my gut tells me this trilogy is beyond saving, why? Because of the characters, they’re all hollow. Rey, Finn, Kylo pale in comparison to Luke, Han and Vader, their character arcs is less than epic( Luke: an orphan without cause, meets a mysterious father figure, sets out to save a princess, fights epic battle, saves the rebellion, trains and becomes a Jedi, fights villain, finds his father and saves him...etc) the forces’s mysticism and teachings brought on by Obi one and Yoda wasn’t there in the last 2 films ether. Even the villains were paper mache characters compared to the original. This is pedestrian writing and film making at best.

Also I just saw this. The rumour is Kiri Hart the head of the story group may get KK's job. I hope Iger is smarter than that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/8otmih/rumor_kathleen_kennedy_may_announce_her_successor/

#2063 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

100% agree, just because you think TLJ is crap doesn't mean you're sexist. And even if you are sexist, you could still hate TLJ for non-sexist reasons. Of course there are a number of very vocal critics of TLJ that spouted a bunch of sexist crap while panning the movie, and unfortunately they give the upstanding TLJ-haters a bad name. But it's poor form to assume that everyone that hates TLJ hates it solely because of the more prominent female characters.

Upstanding TLJ hater? Aren't you the guy with the Porg t-shirt?

#2084 1 year ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

The thing people don't get about TFA and why people went to see it. Disney had to do a remake, we had been force garbage prequels and people were very jaded. TFA was a peace offering, it was just Disney saying we know what Star Wars is, here is the universe, here is our new cast

And then they fucked it up anyway.....TFA was nothing special it was actually bad, but TLJ was a trainwreck.

PS: The prequels were bad, but I think the Statute of Limitation has run out on them. 12 years is a while in the movie world.

#2086 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I thought the limitation ran out to until I found out Pinside is the only place that still houses their defenders.

Context Lawman, TFA is a creative failure, yeah, I guess if you turn off your brain and just look at the nice cinematography.

#2113 1 year ago

Now this is just getting stupid, Darth Vader from 40 years ago was Darth Vader from 40 years ago, so you guys expect the film makers to stay within the narrow confine of the first 3 movies? It's one thing to say TLJ fucked up on several levels but to say Vader wouldn't have done this or that is just pure guess work, maybe he's pissed, maybe he's having a bad day. Or just maybe it's 40 years later and movies are 10x more violent.

#2160 1 year ago

unfortunately there is no way that will happen,

Absolutely, but we may get a real professional edit one day, where all the BS is cut out, who knows. The fact that it's getting this much media attention speaks volumes of how bad this movie was received by the real fans. The damage is done, not even Jesus can undo it.

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Push KK out to promote another SWJ to head Lucasfilm? I read those articles about Hart before. They'll be playing with fire if they go that route.

Exactly right, I would say Mrs. Hart is even more responsible for the fiasco that was TLJ than KK herself, if they do promote her, watch out!

#2214 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I downloaded TFK the other day. Based on the changes I've read, sounds like a huge improvement, but since Luke is still a grumpy old bitch, it can never truly be fixed. Rose is just another Resistance fighter, not featured at all. Fynn role significantly downgraded. Holdo becomes friend of Leia, not an Admiral. No running out of gas. No Phasma or DJ. No Casino or parking tickets. No SWJ agendas.
    This cut just makes it barely tolerable, and boils it down to a focused Luke/Rey/Kylo/Snoke story, bookended by a Resistance escape. Curious how it plays onscreen.
    1) Cut the awful Poe jokes at the beginning
    2) Cut Finn/Rose/DJ/Phasma side arc altogether, including Maz
    3) Cut the "Low on Fuel" arc completely
    4) Cut Leia being blown into space
    5) Cut Ach-To alien nuns scene
    6) Cut Luke/Rey joke about “reaching out” and slapping on the hand
    7) Cut Finn joking about how the first order “hates that ship” in the Crait battle
    8) Cut Holdo/Leia awkward joking about “may the force be with you”
    9) Cut Finn trying to crash into the battering ram and Rose saving him.
    10) Cut broom boy ending
    11) Luke drops the lightsaber, instead of tossing it
    12) Added the deleted beach attack scene on Ach-To
    13) Added custom end “close out” circle to fit the end of the movie

Wow, your list really drives the point home doesn't it? The point of how much was wrong with this picture, it was so wrong that by just omitting material they improved it Which is proof positive that it wasn't just RJ's fault....everybody in the Lucasfilm management circle failed, failed to see the problems that the fan edit has highlighted(by cutting it). As far as I'm concerned ep 9 will also tank, because it's the same droopies involved with it. Hopefully it will besmirch the undeserved record of JJ Abrams who should not have been given the reins of 2 of the best franchises in movie history.

2 weeks later
    #2320 1 year ago
    1621_sw1 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #2338 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Gunn's own words and actions got him fired, as a father with three children his multiple postings were utterly reprehensible.
    Posting a video on his *own website* of 100 prepubescent girls singing "I touch myself" and then posting he was sexually aroused is not funny to normal people.

They?
    Dan made a video of himself raping a doll. Sound normal and well adjusted to you? I'll not post the link nor screenshot here. Disgusting.

Wow, I didn't know how bad some of those tweets were. He deserved getting canned for it. No straight person would say shit like that. The eagle snached kid comment made me sick.

#2348 1 year ago

Fresh from the rumor mill:

George Lucas replacing Kathleen Kennedy to FIX Episode 9?

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/995415/Star-Wars-Last-Jedi-backlash-Kathleen-Kennedy-Episode-9-George-Lucas

Also Lucasfilm confirmed that Carrie Fisher will now be appearing in Ep 9.....

2 weeks later
    #2384 1 year ago

Jon Favreau's Star Wars live action series will focus on planet Mandalore. The report from Making Star Wars states the series could be taking place three years after the destruction of the second Death Star and the death of the Emperor in Return of the Jedi. The series would be about Mandalore falling into a "state of turmoil" with many parties working to restore the planet to its rightful place, with those effects reverberating across the galaxy.

https://winteriscoming.net/2018/08/08/jon-favreaus-live-action-star-wars-series-cost-disney-100-million/

#2423 1 year ago

A SW production designer posted that production has stopped on a standalone SW film, I'm thinking Obi Wan's story is now shelved, Boba Fett movie maybe tits up too. So I give Rian's trilogy a 50/50 chance now, only because Disney has probably gave him an advance to write it so they'll wait to see what he has before shelving it. Either way, there is no f-ing way another SW movie will ever bear his name.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-star-wars-production-designer-says-a-now-halted-spino-1828385800

#2459 1 year ago
    Quoted from Captain-Flint:

Actually, I just can't help myself!!!! lol.... all in good fun Infinatelives
    Exhibit A:
    So at the beginning the First Order tracks down the Rebels, yadda yadda yadda, then they TRACK THEM THROUGH LIGHT SPEED / HYPERSPACE
    and everyone is like, wow that is impossible! but they never deavle into the details of just how that was pulled off. stupid.
    *They actually mention this in Rogue One when they are looking up plans for the Death Star and they find a file regarding the Empires work on Tracking through Hyperspace. So It checks... Even though it is a throw away line.
    Exhibit B:
    The Rey with Luke stuff was pretty blah. Just was. Nothing really came out of it.
    * I agree, it sucks to see Luke the way he is but that is how JJ wrote it in an odd way. Why JJ decided to have Luke hiding out on some secret little island at the end of The Force Awakens kind of paints Rian in a corner. I probably would have done something better with Luke, but Rian went a different direction. So I will give you this point.
    EDIT: EXHIBIT C1: How could I forget about this one haha. When the rebel ships bridge gets blown up and Leia is floating in space, instead of freezing to death, running out of O2, or whatever would actually happen, she used the force to float back to an entrance of the ship and get back in. I was in disbelief at how bad that scene was.
    *Easily the worst part of the movie for me... Cringe Worthy!
    Exhibit C2:
    The whole Finn and, I think Rose?, going to some Casino town to get help was not great. I feel like they only added this stuff to check off the box of weird animals and puppet aliens. Then they meet some random guy who is going to be their code breaker who betrays them and it all just seemed so forced.
    *Not great. I get it, they are trying to show evil in a different light... but the scene was too long, and I hated those dumb creatures they rode on. Reminded me of those awful prequels. I will give you that one too...
    BONUS WTF MOMENT:
    They try and go to Maz for help. Like why? what is her role.
    *She is older than Yoda, knows a ton of shit.
    Exhibit D:
    Snoke! Like What the actual F&^K. He is the Supreme Leader. He tapped into the force to get Rey and Kylo to see and talk to each other. No back story on who he is/was and how he came to power. Super powerful in the force then gets cleaved in halve without ever fighting. We see a glimpse of his power with some lightning he jams at Kylo and that is it. Like what was the point of his existence other than to be "bad guy number 1" He was super strong with the force so he had to be around during 4,5,6 days but just nothing about his back story and hes gone. LAME
    *dude... come on. The emperor had even less back story and he ran the entire Empire. We got nothing from him. Why did you expect that Snoke was going to have this crazy backstory? They will probably do a book or something, so If you really care you could probably check it out. Or maybe they do what they did with the Emperor and just give him a prequel trilogy explaining how Snoke took power. But this is NOT his movie.
    Exhibit E:
    Speaking of being really strong in the force. Kylo stopped a blaster bullet in mid air in episode 7. Then in the fight with the elite guards after Snoke was killed he doesnt even use a single force push or choke or anything. You would think this kid could crush skulls with his mind. meh
    *Pretty cool when he stopped the blaster shot mid air... But I thought that fight scene was awesome. Plus didn't we see enough bad guys get pushed around in those shitty prequels? Better question, how many times did Vader or Luke force push anyone in the Original Trilogy?
    Exhibit F:
    Oh, the whole "Rey, your parents come from nothing, just a bunch of junk finders." Way to kill another plot point.
    *I loved loved loved that she is her own person! I love that she is special. Not her lineage! I love that she isn't a Kenobi, or Skywalker, or Solo, or Santa Claus. She has power, she always did, she is a survivor. It was never a plot point. She was ditched in The Force Awakens and youtube had to fill in some content and made a big deal about who her parents are. Fuck her parents! Let her be her own person. This Universe is Huge, how small would it have been if she was related to someone we already knew?
    Exhibit G:
    Well, so Force Ghost Yoda comes and visits Luke to give some advice. If they are going to use Force Ghosts and Vader came back to the Light Side as a force ghost, why wouldnt he just tell Kylo to quit being a D bag. But that is not related to this movie. What is questionable is that Yoda blows up the Jedi teachings, but alas, at the end we see Rey had taken all the old texts. Like Yoda and Luke couldnt sense that or what? Whatever.
    *Yoda knew she took them... It was just an old tree. What is the issue? And we really don't know much about Force Ghosts and who mastered it enough to appear when they want, etc. Obiwan and Yoda are the only ones that seem to be able to do it at will. We saw Anakin at the end of Jedi, but I have no idea if he can just summon himself at will. It was kind of explained in the Prequels that Quigon learned the skill, and passed it to Yoda who passed it to Obiwan. Not sure how Anakin became a ghost at the end of Jedi, that is a mistake on Jedi's part not LTJ.
    Exhibit H:
    Why not have droid manned ships just light speed thru all the star destoryers, or heck, the death star, anything really and blow them up. slippery slope.
    *This was explained in the expanded universe. I didn't get into reading about all that, but there is some excuse as to why they don't do that every time. I think it had to do with that particular ships special shields... I don't know. I'll give it to you though.
    Exhibit I:
    The part of the movie that I thought was the best was Luke projecting himself in front of Kylo and that whole fight/exchange. Super cool to finally see some of Lukes ultimate power. Oh wait, then he died right after. lame.
    *Hey man, it killed him. He knew he was sacrificing himself to become a Legend and to help restart the resistance. I thought it was cool.
    Sprinkle in some bad jokes for laughs and what not. bravo. made a star wars worse than the prequels.
    *Some jokes admittedly were bad. But at least I didn't have to listen to 2 and a half hours of battle droids going "Rodger Rodger" and "Ouch" when they got hit by a light sabre.
    I probably will never watch this episode again, and for sure not going to see the next one at a midnight showing. Very disappointing
    EDIT: added these things to first post so all my rage is listed here:
    Addendum 1: Ending episode 7 on a cliff hanger with Rey anding Luke his lightsabre, then Luke tossing it over his shoulder for a cheap laugh in E8
    *He wasn't into it I guess.... I wanted him to say after she hands him the lightsabre... "Hey there was a hand with this... you didn't see it did you?"
    Addendum 2: Showing Chewie eating those cute little critters for no reason, kinda messed up to portray a beloved character that way.
    *He didn't eat them... he felt guilty. But come on. He is a damn Wookie... the same beast that would rip your arms out of your socket if you looked at him wrong, or if you beat him in a game. He is supposed to be a badass... not a wuss.
    Addendum 3: Just a terrible plot device as "running out of gas" as being the big event that is causing all the turmoil.
    *Hey that is what they went with... the resistance almost dying out. Desperate... etc. I don't think it worked on the screen as much as it probably worked in the script. But I didn't hate it.
    Addendum 4:If they are just tracking the main ship, uh duh, warp to hyperspace in the other ships and stay alive and save your fleet. derrr
    *That is a great point, if they had the fuel than yep. I like that idea. I will give you that one.
    Addendum 5: Do the knights of ren even exist in this story anymore?
    *Another JJ mystery box item. You have to remember JJ loves putting all sorts of plot holes purposely without the intention of actually answering all of the questions. Remember Lost? Just more questions... every damn season.. more questions.... then he throws a damn polar bear in for fun... stupid.
    Addendum 6: The entire start of Ep 7 is about the map fragment to find Luke, who doesnt want to be found cause he has a sweet spear fishing spot with fresh, non-pasteurized alien tit milk all to himself!
    *He just doesn't want to be the hero... He read the texts and learned about the Jedi Order and how shitty they actually were. So he's a Jedi who grew disenchanted with the Jedi Order. Renounced his faith. Decided to die on that little spit of land because it reminded him of home with the two suns. He found peace. He wanted the Jedi order to end. And he was the last Jedi.
    Anyway that was my two cents... I can see we have crazy different views. I assume you were a fan of the Prequels which I think ended up almost killing Star Wars. But to each his own.

Thanks but we've covered all of these already in the last 50 pages....Lol. The movie sucks not because we the few say it sucks, the whole fandom has turned against the franchise and Disney because of the piss poor story line. I mean yes, it's SW it's not Citizen Kane but still even for SW this movie sucked in a big way.

PS: Btw, I was laughing at myself over the 50 pages comment, not you, I was just realizing I have no life.

#2470 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

The whole new trilogy is a train wreck

Second that. Ep:9 might not break the 1 billion mark if they don't do some major fan service.

PS: no sooner I posted this that I got this in my feed:

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-9-rumor-darth-vader-return/

How is Vader going to come back? I don't get it but then again they need all the help they can get. I said it before, I'll say it again Abrams will find a way to reduce this trilogy to the dumbest, lowest common denominator. It's "Lost" in space....

#2486 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Honestly at this point I think it is JJ's job to somehow salvage the franchise. They will attempt to right the ship & give fans what they want. I expect vader flashbacks, Obiwan ghosts, the Hutts, tattoine, lando, Luke somehow returns, whatever. I really expect alot of shark jumping in Episode 9 to reverse everything Rian Johnson did in Episode 8. They have to explain somehow that Rey is a Skywalker. If they fix this, then they can keep the bloodline going & give the fans what they want for Episode 10 & thereafter.

I agree, they will throw the kitchen sink at it. That's what I was alluding to in my post, however, I just don't think Jar Jar Abrams can do justice with the shark jumping and fan service Either it will be paired with terrible dialogue, terrible storyline or weak characters (see Rey, Finn, Maz, Hux, Kylo etc..etc). I dunno, we need some fresh blood but we need someone like Matt Reeves, what that guy did with Planet of the Apes amazed me....a tired story,that everyone knew and seen in past iteration was suddenly turned into something fresh and (don't laugh) poetic with Cesar's role.

#2494 1 year ago

I bet this will be a rare collector item in 20 years.

#2498 1 year ago

Supposedly the first act of ep. 9 has leaked online....pretty standard stuff. It picks up a few years after they escape, Leia is trying to rebuild the resistance.

#2511 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

And as usual excellent. I suspect Plinkett works as an film or tv editor he is so knowledgeable on the subject.

Holy smokes, this video was a blast to watch....funny and on point.

#2513 1 year ago

Plinkett character is actually Mike Stoklasa not the short guy Rich Evans.

PS: I can't believe that he's openly calling for a boycott of IX

#2520 1 year ago

Here is a thoughtful and detailed answer to the question "Did TLJ kill the SW franchise?"

Probably, yes. But it will manifest as the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique. The IP will walk on for a while, seemingly unharmed, then collapse. But the blame should be shared at least as much by JJ Abrams and “The Force Awakens”.
    Goodwill towards the IP has been damaged heavily among the core fans. (I don’t consider myself one of them, although I liked the series a lot as a kid, but I see what they write, the videos they post on YouTube etc.) Johnson, Kennedy and others have displayed contempt for this subset of fans, essentially dismissing them as a “basket of deplorables”. This is terrible PR, and it also shows an unwillingness to face up to the very real problems Disney have had with the IP.
    Here is a section from investment website “Seeking Alpha” focusing on the absence of any guiding creative vision (comparing the Lucasfilm division with Kevin Feige’s team at Marvel):
    “With Star Wars, Disney took a very different approach. Kathleen Kennedy, the head of Lucasfilm, seemed to prefer treating each film in the new trilogy separately, rather than as a single narrative. Thus, the first film was led by director JJ Abrams, but the next film in the trilogy fell to Rian Johnson. Johnson’s decision to scrap many of the narrative threads spun by Abrams proved to be one of the most controversial aspects of The Last Jedi.
    When crafting a film that will, virtually of necessity, have considerable cultural importance, changing leadership willy-nilly with little thought to past entries is a recipe for disaster. The original Star Wars films were, for better or worse, guided by a single vision. For investors, thinking about narrative and vision may be a somewhat esoteric subject. But it matters a great deal when those narratives are the bedrock of incredibly valuable IP.”
    A common argument dismissing concerns about The Last Jedi is, “The prequels were awful but the IP survived anyway”. Well, the prequels WERE a bit lame, but in a very different way. Their sins were ones of execution, most obviously dialogue and performances. Everything felt stiff, and the romance thread between Anakin and Padme felt very unconvincing. Yet at no point was the core story ever problematic. You could take the core scripts of the prequels, apply a little polish, reshoot some key scenes, and end up with a perfectly respectable trilogy. You can’t really do that with episodes 7 and 8 because the problems run through the scripts at a conceptual level.
    The plots don’t make sense as sequel stories to the first six chapters. The single biggest problem is that they retcon the SW narrative universe as one in which good and evil take turns running the galaxy in a never-ending cycle. This is expedient for the setup of Force Awakens, and gets embraced as the core of the plot to Last Jedi. Yet this does not actually correspond with the SW galaxy at all. Palpatine’s rise to power should be seen as the Great Aberration after thousands of years of peace safeguarded by the Jedi. Episode VI was intended to be the point at which the Republic was restored and the aberration is over. Yet this is potentially problematic for making a rip-roaring sequel to Return of the Jedi.
    Any plausible story needs to start out in a restored Republic with a new Jedi order in existence. But where do you go from there? Have a story of a new threat growing within the Republic? Imperial loyalists? A new Sith threat? Dark Jedi? Could work, but the feel would probably be rather similar to the prequels. And the prequels are a slightly peculiar beast. They aren’t really about “star wars” very much. Rather, it’s an action-packed mystery story about an invisible threat subverting the Republic from within. Quite ambitious and unusual, but very different in feel from the original trilogy.
    So how DO you get back to the feel of the OT? Well, as in the joke about the Irishman giving directions, “I wouldn’t start from here”. So Abrams doesn’t. He simply retcons it and hopes you won’t really notice or care, because you’re enjoying the action, the snappy dialogue and the jokes. The setup for TFA makes very little sense as a continuation of the Star Wars story, because it snaps us back to the functional analogue of the beginning of Episode IV with almost no explanation. The victory in Return of the Jedi was essentially all for nothing. Jakku seems like a worse place to live than anywhere under the Empire (with the possible exception of Alderaan; would have sucked to live there). Luke’s Jedi academy was a failure and he’s a broken man. Somehow the Empire live on with greater weaponry than they ever had before.
    For the first time in Star Wars, there is no joined-up thinking. This doesn’t feel like a story written by people thinking about lore, mechanics and continuity. This feels like a story written by people who understand what Star Wars looks like on the surface but none of its internals and complexities. This is a film designed by a focus group. Lucas’s prequels felt clunky but authentic. The sequels feel snappy and vibrant but inauthentic. They don’t really fit the SW universe. And that’s a big problem.
    Last Jedi is an over-correction to some of the issues that TFA had. TFA felt like it was designed specifically to retread old ground with old tropes. (This was arguably the first time the series had ever done this; “Jedi” obviously gives us a second Death Star but the plot is very different from that of the original “Star Wars”). Last Jedi wants to go SO far in the other direction that it throws the baby out with the bathwater. It feels like it’s designed to be everything that Star Wars fans DIDN’T want, almost for its own sake, to make a point. You can call this bold, but you can also call it arrogant and self-indulgent. It would be forgivable if Johnson set up a whole slew of interesting new plot threads and ideas, but he doesn’t. In fact, he seems to abandon his iconoclastic mission during the scene aboard Supremacy where Ren simply reverts to type, being an oddly motiveless angry kid, and we get an utterly traditional showdown battle.
    And then nothing is set up for the final chapter. No interesting questions, no cliffhangers, nothing unresolved. Other than the aforementioned question of what on earth Kylo Ren actually wants. Are we rooting for him to die? To be saved? What’s at stake? What’s motivating me to see Episode IX?
    Finally: Star Wars is a somewhat formulaic franchise. The formula is what makes it successful. It would certainly be bold and subversive for Coca-Cola to start shipping apple juice in their cans, but we should not necessarily applaud them for doing so. And if I were Coca-Cola I would be very wary of dismissing the complaints of Coke fans as coming from people who don’t understand bold visionary moves.

#2522 1 year ago

Thanks but I just reposting it, but I really liked how he explained that a careless or maybe lazy mistake with TFA's story line doomed this trilogy.

#2534 1 year ago

Well, it's not exactly Downton Abbey. Mr. Plinkett said the same thing in his video, now while I think he knows what he's talking about, he was comparing apples to oranges in regards to R1 to NH characters. A 3 movie trilogy vs. 1 stand alone. He was spouting first year film school stuff. Yes, character development, arc and motivations are all good stuff that every college professor will ask for in a draft. But this was basically an action flick. Also, it's a 2 hour movie not a trilogy, when the focus is on an ensemble cast rather than one or two characters you can't realistically expect to get that type of character development. It takes too much time. This is the kind of mistakes people complain about when they say the movie was soooooo slow, or it took a while before it got good.

#2550 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

Me either...I’ll probably watch when it hits Netflix. I also didn’t rewatch TLJ on Netflix. I only opened it up to downvote it.

I watched Solo on a flight. Some people said it wasn't bad, I have to tell you it was bad. I swear I'm not being biased. I thought Ron Howard would at least make it decent but poor guy got handed an impossible assignment. Talk about miscasting, from Ehrenreich to Harrelson (you have to watch him spinning the six shooter laser gun, comical) and even the Vision dude from Avengers....Wow. Now throw in the Marauders storyline which was such a hail mary pass even for SW. I was like damn maybe should've let Rian Johnson help with the script.

Oh I forgot to add the female robot dialogue was cringe worthy.

#2552 1 year ago

saw this on moviefone's Instagram

39871810_240083173361074_1951867111940816896_n (resized).jpg
    #2558 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Ingruber. Oh what could have been. IDK it was alright I guess, but Ehrenreich & that female robot just ruin it

It could been good, if the script was good to begin with, but Lawrence Kasdan and son...arrgh. I think he was a great writer in his prime but now he just wants to make money. And his son, i must say fell far from the tree. We need SW lovers to take over this ailing franchise. So many possibilities. I would love a story about a outcast Jedi, someone disavowed by the Jedi order for some reason, fighting the empire in the outer rim, a sort of new Han Solo. I know what they'll say, it's just rehash of a beloved character, my answer would be a space opera or any decent yarn needs a good hero.

OT: Check out this artist, he's good. I wish we had a few more people like this guy in the hobby.

0864333c017e550d09471ae403ced98a (resized).jpgofficial_solo___a_star_wars_story_poster_by_markraats-dcaz6l1 (resized).jpg

#2560 1 year ago

So they said a bunch of vocal minority of fans can't make Disney change direction.....well, here's your proof that we can.
    Also significant in the interview is the fact he mentions Weiss and Benioff's trilogy but not Rian Johnson's. I think they know if they want to make money they better distance themselves from that moron.

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-movie-release-backlash-bob-iger/

#2569 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

This guy completely sums it up for me. He articulates exactly why Star Wars fans have abandoned the franchise.

I don't know, he makes some good points, some really poor ones. I also think he contradicted himself a few times, I don't think KK and RJ are racist. I just think the head of the film studio is a woman with male issues, and the story group is comprised of mostly woman who either agree with KK or are trying to cater to her whims. I also think RJ was a wimp who tried to get her on good side with all the SJW stuff. I don't agree with the fascist or racist remarks, again it was the product of company culture setup by the woman at the top....that's all.

#2573 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Google says you are correct. I had originally heard that the Star Wars films was were Disney was going to use it's $ for. Tomorrowland? What the hell was that?
    As for "Star Wars burn out" as the reason for weak TLJ reviews/box, do you really think they are going to say "We fucked it all up"?
    Nope.

Yeah, Tron gets shelved but "355" an all female spy movie resulted in a bidding war at Cannes....30 deals for different territories closed in one week. Haha.

https://www.slashfilm.com/355-movie-first-look-details/

#2575 1 year ago

OT: I got my mind blown by a movie today. If you all ever want to see a movie with no studio or mainstream constraints check out "Mandy" I don't even know how to freaking categorize it, horror, fantasy or sci-fi, it doesn't matter, to me it was like a graphic novel come to life. Lol, it was weird and awesome. I recommend it, but remember this is not a mainstream movie, this is straight up art house...ala David lynch in the 90's stuff. Nicolas Cage hasn't been unleashed like this since Vampire's Kiss.

#2581 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I've heard great things about it. Saw the trailer a couple weeks ago & it looks surreal. And Mac from Predator is in it too? Haven't seen him in a movie since the 80s. Def will watch this month.

Here is Mr. Plinkett himself critiquing the movie,I guess the David Lynch homage was easy to spot.
    Be careful....the other dude, blurts out major plot points, so don't watch it past the 7 minute mark if you plan on watching it later.

#2589 1 year ago

Absolutely stunning news. it's hard to believe but they don't get it, wait till they see the BO returns on ep 9. They will get it then.

#2602 1 year ago
    Quoted from rai:

I don't understand this, is there no one else that would take the job?

Apparently...I doubt it though. Disney is probably too flushed with cash and Iger is too busy running a behemoth company, so he's not exactly on the forums. Like most CEOs he trusts his advisors. so as far as he knows, the fans have SW fatigue due to too many movies and not the treatment of the characters or legend of SW. He probably did not like all the hiring and firing not to mention the reshoots. I don't think they were serious about firing her, most likely the story he got was that KK is too involved and demanding in the storyline and direction, she hires (and fires) too many unproven directors and that she needs to let the creative people do their job and just try to do a traditional producer's job, which is keep everything moving and on budget. That's why JJ Asbrams is in total control of Ep 9.
    Btw, all of this my opinion....just trying to piece together all the info floating out there.

#2605 1 year ago

Didn't see that coming. I agree, it's more damage control by Disney.

#2628 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

For these new movies I've stayed away from all Star Wars rumors, leaks & theories. Didn't want to spoil it for myself. For Episode 9? I'll read anything I come across because I don't give a shit. I know it's going to be lousy. Don't get fooled when that first trailer drops either....when you see Obiwan, Luke, Vader, the Hutts, etc etc etc. Cheap fan service to generate buzz. I'm holding firm & skipping opening weekend regardless. The contract extension given to KK was just unbelievable to me.
    The Mandalorian TV series looks like it has potential though. That's a good part of the Star Wars universe to bring to the masses. Will it get me to buy a monthly subscription to the Disney streaming service? I doubt it.
    Is it alright to admit that Solo is growing on me with repeat viewings? haha

I agree, in the hands of talented people anything can transcend. I recently watched "I, Tonya" the story about Tonya Harding, it was a movie about a white trash girl's rise and eventual demise in the world of freaking ice skating!!! You know what, it was a fantastic movie, because it was made and acted by talented people. RJ, JJ, KK and Kasdan and the rest of the gang that can't shoot straight is what is ailing this franchise...kinda reminds of pinball, we got sucked in with Bally/Williams and now we're stuck with Stern.

1 week later
    #2634 1 year ago

Check out what Nic Cage says at 3:10 mark....sounds familiar?

3 weeks later
    #2659 1 year ago

You're all correct, RJ didn't get the legend the saga, where Luke came from where he needed to end up. He treated this movie as just another movie, a movie he thought he could give his own treatment to, this is where he failed. I'm also going to guess he was trying hard to please the lady bosses at Lucas Film and at the same time market this fucking movie to every demographic/segment on the planet.

3 weeks later
    #2749 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The entire new trilogy just flat out sucks. So Dinsey is telling us that after the rebels blow up the 2nd Death Star and defeat the Empire that 30 years later there's an even bigger and more evil version of the Empire called The First Order? LAME! The First Order sucks and are just a way to reboot the trilogy with the same storyline

This bothered me less than the whole retread of "A New Hope". But even letting that go, I agree, the story was so lame. The first order happening with zero back story...or how Snoke came about, what made Kylo go bad...so many other questions just left bear in the open. I guess in a way they expected (as the it was mentioned) having a SW label on it will make a billion anyway....(which btw they did). Kind of reminds me of a pinball manufacturer, just slap a theme on a retread design and they'll buy it no questions asked.

#2759 1 year ago

Check out this article, another shill that thinks we're Russian bots. They must think we're all right-wing Breitbart bunch. Um, I'm a Democrat.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a24840254/jj-abrams-directing-star-wars-episode-9/

#2765 1 year ago

Wow, Tarantino might helm ST? That sounds improbable but I'm intrigued by the idea.

1 week later
    #2805 12 months ago
    Quoted from PinKopf:

As stated, Gal Gadot rocked WW, but I actually think that movie is fairly bad once you get past the origin and war scenes and get to the finale. I seem to be one of the few of that opinion though. Ares was just lame.

Amen to that....WW and Black Panther just left me shaking my head, I was thinking they made a Billion Dollars on these two movies and Dredd failed at the B.O...WTF?

#2818 12 months ago

Venom was good, I mean good compared to the rest of the bunch, I just wished they had given Venom more time to develop or give a better explanation for his decision in the end, obviously I don't want to spoil the plot so I'll leave it there.

1 week later
    #2830 11 months ago
    Quoted from rai:

just watched Solo, I think it was a very bad movie.
    I hated just about everything about it. But particularly Han was so weak, he was trying to act cool but the actor was just not able to pull it off. Lando was also very bad with the droid love. The card playing scenes were particularly bad like omg bad. Overall a total bomb. I did like Chewie more than anything and Woody was ok as an actor but the character was meh. I feel like Solo failed on it's own merits not even counting how bad TLJ was. I mean if Solo had bene a very good movie it would have done good at the box-office but it was really bad.
    Overall of the new films I though Rogue was good, TFA was not bad. TLJ was bad and Solo was horrible.

Out of all of them the only Bluray I bought was R1. I don't know how you can fuck up SW so badly. I have said it before this stuff just writes itself. The entire arc of Luke, Solo and Leia was already there, all they need to do was put in some fillers and sit back and watch the Billions roll in. There are 3 easy plots that would've dovetailed nicely for the continuation of the story line, 1. A reconstituted empire with a new sith lord at the helm. 2. A coup against the Jedi from within the Jedi rank itself. 3. A civil war in the alliance amongst different planets. All the storylines would have required Luke, Solo and Leia to step up and help....and you could have finished them off heroically and the fans would have loved you for it.

#2841 11 months ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think the box office results and lack of toy sales will have their attention. In a year we will know. I’m still passing on Solo.

Yes, the cosmicbooks.news link posted by gdonovan proves that they're getting the message.....Finally! I will be happy when KK is shown the door. But I can see why they may want to be defiant, as to not show them bending to the fans' boycott. However, you've got to pretty hard headed not to show this lady the door already after all of the missteps. I'm betting this only happening because Disney is making so much money with the Marvel stuff.

However, looking back we still made some good predictions. We said that they will eventually get the message, well, I'm happy to report they did. We said Solo will bomb at the box office and it did just that. We predicted KK will have to be removed, well, they pretty much took the franchise away from KK and let JJ Abrams do his own thing with ep. 9. Lastly, We predicted RJ's trilogy will get shelved. This hasn't happened yet either but all signs indicate this will happen with KK's eventual departure. Now we have the article saying they're looking to reset the franchise. Haha Ok, but it only took a billion of lost revenue with reshoots, firings and bombs in the theaters for the studio pros to come to that conclusion. I can't say I'm impressed.

#2845 11 months ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Why does everyone say KK is out of the picture?

She is, Disney has given Abrams total creative control. I mean if you're looking for an official press release you won't find it, but it's been all over the web. Also there are clues by the actors themselves, saying the last episode is looser and more creative. Here's a good synopsis of what's happened since the backlash:

https://www.popmatters.com/can-star-wars-be-saved-2598718617.html?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1

3 weeks later
    #2861 10 months ago

Even if ep 9 is finally the SW we've been pining for since TFA can it make all the mishapps disappear? Me thinks Not, the trilogy is damaged and will go down as the weak link in the saga. I do hope they can save face a little bit with this last episode. The only way to bring it back with fresh relaunch in the future when our appetite returns.

3 weeks later
    #2891 9 months ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Reading rumors that Lando wont even be in the film that much. Seriously Disney at this point just make Episode 9 about killing off all remaining original trilogy characters. Have a swarm of Porgs take Chewi out. Rey and Kylo can team up to destroy R2D2 and C3P0. Finally have Lando come in the final minutes of the movie to rescue his old pal Nien Nunb and say "lets get the hell of out here baby" as they board the Falcon only to get blown up minutes later!
    Just like Kylo said in Episode 8...forget the past, kill it if you have to. Do it Disney!!! Lol

Ha, sounds like a fitting end to this franchise imploding tragedy.

#2897 9 months ago
    #2901 9 months ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Now reading that the rumors are false and he is doing a new trilogy....

Well damn, it was fun while it lasted.

#2919 9 months ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

You see it everywhere in society now. A small extremely vocal minority (SWJs) force their agenda onto others, via social media & other platforms, to enact change. Unfortunately if you have a difference in opinion with these SWJs, you are falsely judged & immediately declared as part of the problem & attacked. You see if from both sides of the spectrum. Corporations are targeted often in these attacks. "Twitter-rage" if you will. Companies don't like bad publicity, so they fall in line to this toxic vocal minority, which can prove to be a poor decision & they lose profits. Hence the term "Get Woke, Go Broke."
    Star Wars & Lucasfilm are an excellent example of these forces at work. Their agenda took precedent over fans desires & the franchise has suffered as a result. Weak male characters, overpowered female characters, disrespected classic characters, and just flat out shitty poorly-written storytelling. Fans were duped with Episode 7, got furious after Episode 8, and flat out rejected Solo. Box Office in the tank, toys of these new characters not selling, etc etc. Expect more of the same for Episode 9, after which Disney will admit error of their ways, fire everyone, sadly end the Skywalker Saga & reboot with an all-new trilogy. Wasted opportunities to say the least.
    The exception here is Rogue One, which as the first stand alone Star Wars film. Written & directed by Gareth Edwards, huge Star Wars fan whose dream job was to create a Star Wars film. Gave the fans what they wanted, and the final results reflect that. No SWJ agenda, and sure it might have some flaws, but it's just good old fashioned storytelling. It's not that hard to please the fans & save the franchise. Stop forcing your agendas & just give us what we want.

Yes!! Can The other "K" be far behind? Btw, I couldn't agree more with your comment regarding ep. 7, 8 and Solo. They ruined SW not because of the gratuitous female heroine slant but due to poor, tasteless storytelling and the "Let them eat cake" attitude for the multi generational fan base.

#2934 9 months ago