Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,239 posts
  • 311 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 hours ago by PanzerFreak
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 243 votes
      34%
    • decent, better than the prequels 251 votes
      35%
    • really good, on par with the originals 80 votes
      11%
    • great! one of the best 80 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 55 votes
      8%

(709 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

scioli (resized).jpg
    ss1-trapped (resized).jpg
    fantastic_four_1961_48_3 (resized).jpg
    d0c0aa785c9ed124 (resized).jpeg
    b881ebbaf721aff4 (resized).jpeg
    1 (56) (resized).JPG
    the-acolyte-databank-feature-article-feature_536e2878 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1dd86362581cee58daeaeaef82eb6037 (resized).jpg
    the-acolyte-teaser-poster_506fd466 (resized).jpeg
    1 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    6aw3vw8uep501 (resized).jpg
    GGtWnNMWMAAWx0I (resized).png
    nickcole1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2827 Analysis worth watching. Posted by gdonovan (5 years ago)

Post #3520 Path to get Disney + discounted. Thanks @fosaisu Posted by fosaisu (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1799 5 years ago

Just got around to watching Jedi on blu-ray which shows how low the series has fallen in my eyes it’s the first SW film I had not seen at the theatre.

Of the last three I think Rogue was the best but (IMO) could have let the main characters escape so they could expand their stories in future films as I thought the main characters of that were great.

This last film messed up should have let Leia die and Luke live. What the hell are they supposed to do with Carrie Fisher no longer you know alive? Leia could have done some heroic Ben Kenobi act to allow the rebellion to escape whatnot.

I’m not sure why Luke dies at the end? Maybe he’ll be some ghost in the next movie but it was all quite a mess and I don’t really care about it anymore. At least Marvel is still making great movies.

#1801 5 years ago

I mean ‘The last Jedi’, it was bad although the special effects were good.

Can’t believe how badly they treated Po and was expecting Benito Del Toro to do a triple cross somehow.

It just was very meh to me.

#1827 5 years ago

Disney is making these movies just to make money just like the PotC movies.

I wish they had a great vision and made a ton of movies like they are doing with Marvel: Avengers, Iron Man, Thor, CA, BP, Strange etc.. they are all great imo.

This SW stuff is like the Hobbit moves like they say let’s make 3 films don’t care about how bad it is, people will spend money because it’s TH or SW.

If they had given John Favru or someone like that control like they have with Kevin Feige (Marvel), it seems like they are a all being made by different people with different ideas, they change directors too often, like maybe that’s half the problem.

I was never crazy with the idea of reviving Carrie Fisher for anything she was an old washed up lady. So she made some good movies 30-40 years ago. That was then this is now.

#1888 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

One thing that I find inexcusable on the part of Disney, was the story line of TFA. You would think out of any company, Disney would have the most imaginative and creative people working for them. They had the biggest franchise in movie history to work with, that could have had endless possibilities, and they ended up telling the same exact story that Lucas did 40 years ago. TFA was EP.4 with a glossy paint job. I will admit that some of the scenes were cool, and I liked some of the new characters, but after waiting years for a new movie, I would have like to have seen a new movie with a fresh story.

Exactly and putting in the old geasers like Carrie Fisher and Mark Hammel and even Ford all three are about retired for all intents. But just put them in in their old age doesn’t do it for me.

#1894 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Stands for "Social Justice Whiner" It's a group of people who are so offended by social justice warriors that they can't shut up about it actually end up being way worse than the social justice warriors.
    Exhibit A:
    » YouTube video

I don't think that will work because Disney is great and will still make a profit (like PotC).

#1913 5 years ago

Hopefully Boba Fett is transexual.

#1918 5 years ago

Can’t we say bad Star Wars movies are better than no Star Wars moves?

#1936 5 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Lol there is already an article on CNN talking about "star wars fatigue"
    If these were done right people would eat them up like every marvel movie that drops every 6 months

correct Marvel (avengers etc) has had 18 films in the last 10 years no fatigue because the films are (arguably) good.

Just this year Black Panther, AV3 and Ant-man will gross $4B (worldwide) projected.

I'm aware that SW will still make money, but if the quality does not improve, they will be on the PotC like curve.

#1948 5 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

If I could change time and make sure nothing is made for SW after 1983, I would have in a second.

I mean we do get to see great special effect. As bad as the prequels were they had some nice action scenes as do these later movies.

There's a chance we can get some great movie in the future look at Spider-man had a few bad movies. But I'm glad they didn't just stop after the first trilogy.

#1953 5 years ago

I’m wondering why Kennedy was put in charge of SW. I’d love to see Jon Favreau for example take over.

EDIT: I now see why Kennedy was hired.

Here's something I didn't realize that the problem with SW is that white and straight men have directed all the movies.

can you believe this stuff?

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/star-wars/news/a851850/star-wars-fans-arent-happy-jon-favreau-announcement-international-womens-day/

You're either ignoring us or prioritizing these white dudes. Both are bad looks. Do better, Star Wars. Let women of color be in charge of major stories in the franchise, especially because I would trust them more to hire WoC/diverse directors, writers, producers.

I hope the Favreau hires inclusively. I don't even trust D&D from GoT to hire other white women, so they're out. I just... I wanted better for this franchise that women of color love and support with equal measure.

I love Jon Favreau's work, so this is not a knock on him, but @Disney announcing yet another white guy to head up a Star Wars project is pissing me off. And to make the announcement on #InternationalWomensDay is pretty tone-deaf overall.

shame on Disney for ruining women's day as well as SW.

#1957 5 years ago

My wife liked it but she also liked TLJ. I won’t see it until it comes out on Netflix.

#1970 5 years ago

How come we’re not seeing Marvel fatigue?

How come every PotC movie has gone down in box office in subsequent releases even when they are spaced years apart? It’s not how close together the movies are released it’s that they are not good movies.

#1976 5 years ago

Dr Strange, Thor, Ant Man Captain America etc.. are minor movies with sub $200M budgets with the exception of Civil War $250M which was more like Avengers lite. Black Panther $200M budget, Ant-Man $130M.

The only Marvel movies close to Solo are the Avengers movies with a half dozen major stars. Solo had a colossal production budget and won’t probably pass Dr Strange in worldwide box office. Partly is like the director fired and rewriting and all which is never a good sign. I’m sure the budget was way more than they were initially starting with since R1 was also $200M and Solo is not a major movie like the trilogy so should be more in line with the minor Marvel movies like Black Panther and Thor etc.

I haven’t seen Solo but I’m betting it’s better than TLJ but that is not saying too much.

#1978 5 years ago

I read $300M Solo budget but it’s not official that I can see.

I think Solo did $10M in China while Avengers Infinity did like $170M opening week in China.

#1981 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

It's an interesting case study. "What is the value/quality of these movies AS MOVIES when you remove the nostalgia?" China allows a glimpse into this.
    I think if the new SW movies adhered to classic archetypes as much as ANH did they'd have a better chance (obtaining new markets) The farmer who becomes a General. The rogue you can't trust. The wise old man. The princess. The evil knight.
    Instead we get Super Amazing at Everything Rey (who needs a Hero's Journey?) bumbling fool Finn, Poe "I never get to do anything" Dameron, Leia Organa (not actually Leia just Carrie Fisher playing Old Carrie Fisher) and a bunch of bumbling Mel Brooks spoof Nazis as the First Order.

Agree, and Infinity did over $330M in China the most ever by a foreign film while it's all but impossible for Solo to break $300M for total world (minus US market).

http://deadline.com/2018/05/solo-a-star-wars-story-opening-weekend-deadpool-2-avengers-infinity-war-china-global-international-box-office-1202398686/

this standalone spinoff had a disappointing overseas bow of $68.2M in 54 material markets which represent 88% of the offshore footprint
    Rogue One opened in December 2016 with $178M in like-for-like markets and at today’s rates. Solo came in $110M below that.
    Disney/Marvel’s juggernaut added $32.5M in 36 material markets this weekend to bring the offshore cume to $1.283B and the global take to $1,904.7M.

#1982 5 years ago

I hope Disney is not too dumb to see the results. Not saying one movie is a trend, but if the last part of the trilogy bombs, I hope they can reboot the franchise. I don't expect Disney to give up, I mean this is still a good name brand franchise and probably has good merch for them.

It's too early to give up on SW but I hope they can learn and get better going forward.

SW did survive the infamous Christmas special and hopefully in time we can ignore or forget some of the lesser movies they are making like TLJ.

#1986 5 years ago

The studio only gets like 50% of the box office so they’d need $700M to break even but will have other merchandise and disc sales and streaming lisense. But it’s really a bad showing when it won’t likely pass Dr Strange worldwide.

In China the film is called ‘Ranger Solo’ which is a really bad name, the Star Wars story was dropped from the title because of how bad SW flopped there apparently, but I can not believe it would have done *worse* than it actually did there.

#1988 5 years ago

I had read they were putting Chinese actors in to get more international audience like R1 had but the characters were not great and they all died anyway. I wonder if that was why they put in the Asian girl in TLJ or not.

#2014 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Holy hell. If John "Professional Shill" Campea is against her, she must be toast.
    Solo might not even make it past 300 million WORLDWIDE. That's absolutely abysmal for any big movie in the modern era, let alone Star Wars, let alone a movie whose budget was nearly doubled with reshoots.
    But remember, "everyone loved" The Last Jedi and there was no backlash whatsoever <- official narrative.

I'm glad that Solo is doing poorly, it may not even be a bad movie and I hope that I like it but I don't want Disney to be rewarded after TLJ movie.

My wife and kids saw Solo, said it was good, and they rarely go to the movies. But casual movie goers seem to go because it is SW. My wife and kids saw all the new SW films in the theatre, wife didn't think there was anything wrong with TLJ, so there are people who just go to see it for a special effect's movie and don't think too much about if the story is good or bad.

There will be some walk in traffic just because it's SW and the film is hyped on TV (commercials that add to the cost by the way) a good movie doesn't need as many commercials. So double whammy they will get more people in the seats but costs money to do so.

I really don't know why Solo had to cost so much, there are no major stars like Harrison Ford to pay a ton of money to. It's like John Carter movie or Lone Ranger movies costing $300 Million when Deadpool 1 and 2 costs $60M and $110M respectively, Jumanji costs $90M

#2015 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Can we just keep that shit out of the movies?

#2025 5 years ago

going back to TLJ the poor treatment of Poe was been because he’s a man, because the actor is actually a minority (Guatemalan/Cuban-American).

True the original SW was not female dominant believe only two woman were in A new hope and the original trilogy (minus Leia has just 63 seconds of dialogue by females). https://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/star-wars--a-new-hope/female-lines-original-trilogy/

But now it seems that every other character has to be a woman, a woman stormtrooper for little apparent reason except to show women are capable of bossing around men.

Maybe (just maybe) the SW universe is male dominated, I’m not saying that’s a good thing but it’s a fictional universe but that many cultures have been. Look at Mad Men tv show which has men in position of power and look at most military movies like ‘300’ or ‘Gladiator’ etc..

It doesn’t make sense if you were to put equal numbers of women those above examples.

I don’t have a problem putting strong women in movies/TV shows look at Wonder Woman, Black Widow in Avengers, the warriors in Black Panther and the strong woman leads in TWD.

I just don’t like it being crammed down my throat because we have a woman/minority inequality in Hollywood, so now most leads should be women or minorities in SW.

#2026 5 years ago

Marvel universe (not counting Deadpool) will have 7 films in two years.

To me this poor reception of Solo reminds me of when The Lone Ranger was such a flop that Disney delayed Pirates of the Caribbean several years to distance it from the Lone Ranger failure. Instead of doing that Disney doubled down on SW.

#2047 5 years ago

5853CC1A-4004-4BD3-87FC-218AED27C817 (resized).jpeg5853CC1A-4004-4BD3-87FC-218AED27C817 (resized).jpeg

#2058 5 years ago

this guy is a little too into the death of Star Wars but he's not wrong about TLJ.

here is sales of BluRay down almost in half of what TFA did, and box office numbers down $700M from TFA.

Meanwhile Avengers Infinity is passing $2B worldwide after Black Panther $1.3B+

Of course Solo is bombing horribly at the box-office. I didn't even see Solo but the point is hard core fans are voting with their wallets.

#2061 5 years ago

Agree also even superhero and mythological figures have a weakness. Heck the better heroes are like Frodo, Dorothy or Harry Potter who are not great and powerful but overcome their weaknesses.

It’s just to me like the creators wanted to add woman characters and minimize male characters either for marketing or to push an alternative agenda.

They deliberately turn their back on core audiences because the figure their super fans will pay either way and instead want to get the feminist and other audience.

#2067 5 years ago

Looking at Boxofficemojo Solo will take 3 weeks to pass TFA first 2 days domestic total and (my estimate) will not pass the opening weekend 3 day total of TFA.

#2092 5 years ago

They’re saying Solo had ~$150 million in marketing as I’m sure did TFA if not more.

Not a problem when you’re pulling down $2Bilion but not good when gross revenue is $450M.

My wife and kids saw The Incredibles 2 last night said they loved it. I’m interested to see what kind of numbers it does it’s already doubled the previous record for Thursday animated movie (Finding Dory).

#2122 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I respectfully disagree. All they need is a good product. American's don't get tired of anything...ever, so long as it is a good and compelling product.

I agree we’re at 8 Fast and Furious movies and counting.

#2123 5 years ago

I’ve yet to see Solo but I think the idea is people are skipping it not because of burn out or because it’s a bad film but moreso because of TLJ was so bad. Heck The Hobbit movies were horrible and yet they all made nearly $1B each.

But TLJ was really “the last straw” for many.

Compared to Solo R1 has 2.5x as much domestic box office at the same date. That really says something.

Anyway as I said not seen Solo yet but before it came out when I saw the trailers and read that Lando was pan sexually and the director change etc. I could only think of the real Han Solo this quote

9C76449D-0EF7-4E68-BC3D-FD85BDA31FAD (resized).png9C76449D-0EF7-4E68-BC3D-FD85BDA31FAD (resized).png

#2152 5 years ago

Remake TLJ is actually interesting, don’t know if it’ll happen but can you imagine a new cut that’s significantly different and better? Don’t think that’s ever happened before but I could be wrong.

#2156 5 years ago

It was interesting having several different versions of a film sort of Blade Runner for example.

Apocalypse Now has this as well.

I’d love to see a movie being filmed and then edited together as different interpretations.

But with a massive blockbuster it can’t happen due to everything costing 100x more than necessary.

#2161 5 years ago

I’m curious too if Disney was to re-release the film and it was a hit what is the downside? I mean it would cost peanuts to re edit it any maybe could bring in as much as Solo has done (maybe more)? The great majority of the money is spent making the footage (I’m not sure anyone is saying re-shoot the film).

Leia dies out in space, Luke doesn’t die.

#2184 5 years ago

I'd love to see an improved version.

I never heard of The Hobbit edits but they make a lot of sense to cut out 60% of the crap.

#2198 5 years ago

he just doesnt give a f about trashing the process lol
    he must know he is not in the last episode otherwise youd think hed tow the company line

But wha?

He was in 10 seconds of first movie and now Carie Fisher is dead don’t it make more sense to have Mark in this film?

I hope they don’t do all that CGI Leia but who gives a crap anymore.

#2200 5 years ago

just a hunch but who knows what JJ will do. Maybe he will make episode 8 a dream lol

I was thinking that same thing like ‘Inception’ whatnot.

#2216 5 years ago

But what about Marvel? How is Marvel so good?

It makes me realize it’s not the subject that makes a movie good because LotR good Hobbit bad.

Toby Maguire SM good, Andrew Garfield SM bad.

Batman all over the map.

#2222 5 years ago
    Quoted from okayestpinballer:

The Latest Jedi is available on Netflix streaming. It's a director's cut/special edition made specifically for the diehard fans who felt personally wronged by the theatrical version. At the end of the credits there is information on how to participate in a class action lawsuit against Disney for egregious pain and suffering. Let the healing begin.

really?

Does it have the alien milk drinking scene? I know Lucas/SW likes to put odd aliens in the movies, but this was just ridiculous.

I actually didn't mind Poe's "You Momma" jokes half as much as some of the folks, but the progs and many alien creatures on the island were just stupid.

#2229 5 years ago

I can actually see episode 9 doing half what TFA did at box office.

IMO (to be honest) Disney should just re edit TLJ even reshoot it a bit and make like the original never existed. People would probably go see TLJ redux and it would reset episode 9. But it’ll never happen.

#2262 5 years ago

I wanted to ask something regarding SW (and compare the domestic box-office numbers)

TFA $936M
    R1 $532M
    TLJ $620M
    Solo $205M

GOTG $333M
    The Avengers $623M
    IM3 $409M
    Ant-Man $180M
    Ultron $459M
    Dr Strange $232M
    Ragnorok $315M
    GOTG2 $389M
    Black Panther $699M
    Infinity $671M

I have a few questions/observations

- Solo has a poor box office (no doubt) but it's not out of line with lesser Marvel movies (domestic)
    but the Marvel movies cost a lot less to produce and make much more overseas

-The SW movies obviously TFA did super domestically better than any Marvel movie. I am curious, this has to be due in part to super fans seeing it opening weekend but also has to be due to a lot of repeat viewings. I wonder now if this was wishful thinking, did these super fans really like it enough to watch it multiple times and if so do they still like it after TLJ letdown?

-TLJ significant drop from TFA but that did happen with Ultron too so surely that could be expected because the buildup was not as great for the second movie.

-R1 was a good movie and did well, compare it to IM3 or GOTG2 whatnot, it did well. I think Disney thought Solo would do better just because it was a SW movie and it really crashed in that regard compared to R1

Black Panther actually did better domestically than Avengers Infinity. I didn't really know that, and it's still possible for Infinity to close the gap, but I'm not sure if it will pass BP. Also shows that Marvel fatigue is not a thing and if TLJ was good SW fatigue would not be a thing either

#2304 5 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

so the movie was only 15 min long?

104 minutes apparently

I started to watch but was streaming and I had a bad lip sync. While I like the idea of fan edit, there is only so much that can be done. Don't like the momma jokes it just skips 1-2 minutes ahead. I'd rather just watch a good movie than watch a bad movie that is edited down to make it somewhat less bad.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

It is amazing that people will spend such time on a crappy movie.

As Bill would say:

Cincinnati-Good (resized).pngCincinnati-Good (resized).png

#2316 5 years ago

Billy Dee is 81 years old.

F18FFF46-CDB2-4C48-8C2A-52A8ABEABE92 (resized).jpegF18FFF46-CDB2-4C48-8C2A-52A8ABEABE92 (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
    #2341 5 years ago

And Gunn is getting all kinds of support ? (jokes? Hard to justify those as jokes).

2 weeks later
    #2378 5 years ago

domestic total was ~ = first 2 day total of TFA domestic

I guess pan-sexual Lando only get you so far.

#2380 5 years ago

Worked ok for this movie almost 80 years ago.

A831E728-7D03-4D32-93A7-E34B9932DE5F (resized).jpegA831E728-7D03-4D32-93A7-E34B9932DE5F (resized).jpeg

#2386 5 years ago

I just watched Phantom Menace for the first time since it came out on DVD so basically been 13 years so I didn’t remember it all.

Have to say this is one bad movie, the acting was bad even from the big name actors, but the no name such as Annikan and his mom are cringe worthy. Jar Jar is as bad as I remember and especially during the battle sequences where he had a blaster stuck to his foot and basically the gag is every time he takes a step he kills another droid.

There was one saving grace to the movie, I suppose the light saber battle with Darth Maul.

I really can’t understand why the plot line had the queen being impersonated by her body guard, except as a plot device to have queen slumming around on Tantooine. It’s not like there was an attempt on her life where the plot twist would have made us go ahh, and then at the end she just tells everyone so it doesn’t make any sense.

As for queen and Anikan’s blossoming affair, it just seems creepy.

Finally Anikin is such a weak actor, but then having him fly inadvertently onto a battleship and destroy it and escape is even too much for Star Wars which has a lot of such weak plausible momemts.

Then we have R2D2 who is like a miracle worker in every movie and C3PO don’t get me started.

I’m still going to venture into the other two sequels but tell me do they get any better at all?

#2393 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

See post #2383

Can we not?

Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm fairly sure Disney is not going to hire Gunn back, what is else is there waiting to be discovered?
    https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1028130823080267777/photo/1
    James Gunn’s mentor, director Stanley Lloyd Kaufman, 72, tweeted about mentoring Gunn at a NAMBLA meeting, the “great wisdom” of Tony Podesta, peeing on children, sacrificing small children, and attending a Satanic Baby sacrifice.
    You want to have nightmares, try googling "Tony Podesta art"
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

I’d wish these images be deleted from the thread, I do not want to see such images.

I appreciate that was posted as a sample example to condem the perpetrators but can be deleted (imo) this is not a forum for such images.

Thank you.

#2413 5 years ago

Ant man and Wasp is ahead of Solo by $50m+ global without even China opening and first Ant man did over $100M in China.

Ant man is also 5 weeks less release than Solo so it’s likely to top solo by 50% or more.

#2429 5 years ago

Just finished episode 2.

Overall better than Episode 1, good action.

Could someone give me a reading list if I wanted to get into the SW book universe? I don’t know where to start.

#2445 5 years ago

I just saw Antman and Wasp. It was ok, not great but shows that Marvel can bring along an average movie to good box office results. It’s not world beating but I’d estimate between $5-600 million worldwide when it’s said and done.

#2448 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Well I disagree with you on that one. I never read the Zahn trilogy when it first came out in the 90s, and just started to read it this summer. I've only had time to read the first book so far, but I've found it to be quite enjoyable. Grand Admiral Thrawn is one the the most interesting charters in the whole SW universe, and I'm greatly intrigued by the Luke/Mara Jade story, the use of the Yalsamari, dark Jedi, Leia's twins, etc. Good stuff. Snoke, whiney Kylo Ren, and bitch old man Luke? Not so much.
    Thrawn is actually official cannon now thanks to the Rebels cartoon (also with Corusant & other things from these novels), I just wish they would have adopted/altered this story for Episodes 7-9. It would have been difficult to the the age of the actors now, but they could have introduced Thrawn to the movie-going audiences & it would have been a huge success. Why they threw all this great material out the window (and gave us Rey, Fynn & Poe) is just unreal. There was a great foundation in this story.

I’m worried that these books are described as YA (young adult) reading.

I may be better served with some other science fiction writing for adults?

#2457 5 years ago

The prequels were not good but not as bad as TLJ imo.
    at least we got a sweet pod racing game on N64 and in the arcade out of them
    where do you think the story goes from here? they closed all the developing plot lines except for maybe the Knights of Ren. There was no one left to even back the Resistance on their final hail Mary distress call.
    just a whole movie of kylo and rey force projecting to each other ? then broom kid comes in and slices and dices?

I agree, prequels were ok

TFA was ok

R1 was better than ok except CGI dead actor actor (IMO)

TLJ = IJ4

#2458 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

You want some Science Fiction novels for adults, then you might like the following: (I can suggest plenty more if you like good Sci-fi)
    No Mans War Series by John Scalzi - they are brilliant and definitely more aimed at adult readers.
    The Black Ship Trilogy, then the Expansion Wars trilogy by Joshua Dalzelle - Lots of space battles and tactics

I'll look them up. I was used to reading the golden age SFF books.

#2479 5 years ago

Character development is like Spiderman weak kid, gets powers, doesn’t use power to stop criminal, criminal kills uncle etc.

It’s storytelling 101, look at Dorothy, Bilbo Baggins, Karate Kid etc.

The character development should drive the story, not used as a magic bullet to solve a problem.

#2505 5 years ago

Simply amazing they can’t get a good script, the trilogy should have been planned out in advance.

It always astounds me when real bad movies are made. But happens quite a lot even with good directors (see Godfather 3 - Coppola and IJ4 Spielberg).

It would have been one thing if TLJ was just ok, but it was actively bad. Then you have series like Harry Potter or Marvel movies which all seem to be good. Something like GOT TV show probably has less budget for a whole season and puts out *much* better material.

1 week later
    #2523 5 years ago

I thought R1 was pretty good.

#2544 5 years ago

Needs a hard reboot like Spider-man.

#2551 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I watched Solo on a flight. Some people said it wasn't bad, I have to tell you it was bad. I swear I'm not being biased. I thought Ron Howard would at least make it decent but poor guy got handed an impossible assignment. Talk about miscasting, from Ehrenreich to Harrelson (you have to watch him spinning the six shooter laser gun, comical) and even the Vision dude from Avengers....Wow. Now throw in the Marauders storyline which was such a hail mary pass even for SW. I was like damn maybe should've let Rian Johnson help with the script.
    Oh I forgot to add the female robot dialogue was cringe worthy.

Sometimes, when a movie has to be re shot after it's 60% done or whatever? I think it'd be better to just start completely over from square one, I mean throw away everything and re-cast whatever. It would cost 2x (filming 2 movies) but it might be covered at the box-office. Re-filming half a movie is like throwing good money after bad.

Of course that may not have changed anything if they wanted to put in robot love or whatever they felt was needed for their metro- demographic they are among for.

2 weeks later
    #2585 5 years ago
    Quoted from henrydwh:

Came out on Tuesday the 25th. I got my copy, I didn't see it theaters. I watched it last night, it was a lot better then I expected.

You’re ruining the boycott.

#2594 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Absolutely stunning news. it's hard to believe but they don't get it, wait till they see the BO returns on ep 9. They will get it then.

I don't understand this, is there no one else that would take the job?

#2595 5 years ago

They should have hired Lucas like when Apple brought Steve Jobs back.

#2598 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Correct- And if the next episode crashes and burns KK gets the blame would be my guess.
    Who would want the job? As the link I just posted from John C. Write illustrates from a story writing perspective round head Johnson has literately left the next person no where to go story wise while simultaneously taking a steaming dump on the fans who were invested in the series.

I have two observations

1) casual fans don't hate the movies, my wife saw all 4 of the new movies in the theatre and liked them and she will like the Disney Theme park. My kids love Avatar world and have never even seen the movie.

2) if TLJ is a dead end, they could just reboot that film (entirely re made with none of the SJW aspects) and re-release the movie. Probably do a billion just out of curiosity. They can let Lea die early on and let Luke take a bigger role cut out a lot of the dumb scenes and characters. Then film 9 can have a chance to be worthwhile.

1 week later
    #2625 5 years ago

Blade Runner 2049 was kind fairly good.

1 month later
    #2648 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

If SW fans are as tough and manly as pinball fans, maybe they’ll go so far as to snap a picture of his back.

Classic.

#2650 5 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Uh, no. Bladerunner 2049 was a freaking masterpiece of cinema. I liked that one far better than the first.

That’s my point. I prefer the first but the sequel reboot was very good/great. I might not call it a masterpiece but it didn’t disappoint.

Very hard to see this as I do watch a lot of sequels but not many beat the original. Godfather 2 is really not a sequel because it’s a two part movie. Don’t get me started on godfather 3.

1 month later
    #2800 5 years ago

I’m a much bigger MCU fan than SW, seen them all in theatres and at home.

Anyway, imo maybe I’m being sexist or not PC but to me female movie goers probably like to see good looking guys such as Most of the MCU male leads (lots of good looking guys) and they probably pull in a good demographic of female audience because of this. I have not seen the female ghostbusters movie but my impression is they put in Liam Hemsworth for his sex appeal to presumably mostly female audience. Guy movie goers don’t mind having a lot of female characters in the movies but probably would prefer them to have some sex appeal. I’m not saying they should be all SI swimsuit models, but Scarlet Johansson and Gwennith Paltrow are not bad to look at. To me they need to have somewhat sex appeal for the guy audiences. Hence why I don’t watch the female Ghostbusters movie.

I’ve not seen Captain Marvel but so far as costume they seem to be covering as much skin as possible so as to make her not a sex object, just a strong female hero. IMO this reeks of PC agenda. I’m holding off judgment at least they didn’t cast Leslie Jones or Mellisa McCarthy as the lead. Brie Larson is an attractive actress so there is something there but I’m not sure if they will super downplay her looks. Almost like she’s being hidden, might as well be in SWAT suit.

E3C5544A-E8F2-4D37-95A3-811D59957B1B (resized).jpegE3C5544A-E8F2-4D37-95A3-811D59957B1B (resized).jpeg1776963E-00E4-488A-B63B-A7BBE39545A8 (resized).jpeg1776963E-00E4-488A-B63B-A7BBE39545A8 (resized).jpegA0B4EC5B-1316-422C-8E52-8DE0BDAE88DC (resized).jpegA0B4EC5B-1316-422C-8E52-8DE0BDAE88DC (resized).jpeg4128CF3F-A316-4B58-98DE-B6109F00AAC7 (resized).jpeg4128CF3F-A316-4B58-98DE-B6109F00AAC7 (resized).jpeg

#2814 5 years ago

I had not looked at Boxoffice mojo for a while but just did to see how Solo performed at the boxoffice

Worldwide $392M which is below Mama Mia (here we go again), below Tron Leagacy (2010) $400M, Batman (1989), The Kings Speach $414M.

Less than 20% of the cumulative total of The Force Awakens.

The $17M budget film released this year (I never heard of) ‘A Quiet Place’ has a cumulative total of $340M.

#2817 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Watch it it's killer, Emily Blunt and John Krasinski, John directs. Its only has that budget because John and Emily did it for a fraction of what they would normally get.

Ok.

I love those actors.

I was seeing a lot of horror movies (like Don’t Breath or Get Out) are made for pennies compared to big blockbuster movies.

I wish Hollywood could make good movies without just throwing a ton of money and still making crappy movies.

1 week later
    #2828 5 years ago

just watched Solo, I think it was a very bad movie.

I hated just about everything about it. But particularly Han was so weak, he was trying to act cool but the actor was just not able to pull it off. Lando was also very bad with the droid love. The card playing scenes were particularly bad like omg bad. Overall a total bomb. I did like Chewie more than anything and Woody was ok as an actor but the character was meh. I feel like Solo failed on it's own merits not even counting how bad TLJ was. I mean if Solo had bene a very good movie it would have done good at the box-office but it was really bad.

Overall of the new films I though Rogue was good, TFA was not bad. TLJ was bad and Solo was horrible.

1 week later
    #2849 5 years ago

don't know if this has been posted yet.

1 month later
    #2951 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

https://cosmicbook.news/captain-marvel-trouble
    Speaking of SJW... They have been hyping this movie like crazy, as we get closer to show time the pullback has started.
    I don't know anyone who "wants" to see this movie. In the comix she isn't even a second string character and the trailers have been underwhelming. It doesn't help Brie Larson comes across as wooden in them and has started spouting BS at press conferences.
    Get woke, go broke.

Yes the trailers are super meh. Like now they are showing the real super heroes like IM and Captain America in the trailer to get eyes. I was fast forwarding the commercials and saw IM so I backed it up to see if it was an Avengers trailer.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/02/20/iron-man-captain-america-thor-appear-new-captain-marvel-tv-spot/

#2953 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

My only good memory of the prequels was the pod race and the Maul/Kenobi battle at the end.
    Ewan McGregor was excellent as a young Kenobi.
    The ridiculous saber fight with Yoda and the horrible homage to Frankenstein with Vader are on the other end of the spectrum.
    The rest is a forgettable blur. I only watched the first one in the theater and left vastly disappointed, so much so I did not bother seeing the next two till they were out on DVD.

You’re forgetting Nattile Portman.

1 week later
    #3019 5 years ago

Looks horrible.

What’s next Tony Stark will be hit with a sexual harassment suite? I am sure if we look back into IM 1 or 2 there was some sexually inappropriate moments (shame).

#3021 5 years ago

IMO Disney is not sorry it bought SW franchise.

Mostly the movies are a hit, I don’t mean ‘Avatar like’ hit but $5B gross for 4 movies. Two theme lands opening in Disneyland and Disney World. Plus the 9th installment of the main SW franchise which I predict will be above TLJ can we agree that JJ >>> Rain Johnson.

Then the Disney streaming will be out soon with new content needed.

#3023 5 years ago

Ok am I just dense or do people actually play cards like that? I mean playing for $$$$$$$$ big stacks and not really worry about cheating or someone betting a ship they don’t own. I’ll just take the word of a complete stranger that you have a multi $$$$ ship.

#3032 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eryeal:

It's a bit of a stretch to have to go to France to have a bad review - I've read about a dozen reviews today, all of which were either very positive, or generally positive.

I hope it's good, I have bunch of Disney stock plus I like Marvel movies.

here's one headline that don't like it though:

Captain Mary Sue
    https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/03/captain-marvel-movie-review-dull-directionless/

#3045 5 years ago
    Quoted from GolfKill:

At this point the only Star Wars movie i want to see is one that starts off with Leia waking up in her bedroom on Coruscant and finding Han in the shower a la Dallas.

Yes the only point is Carie Fisher is dead. How come they didn’t actually you know let her die in TLJ?

#3053 5 years ago

So far there has not been a bad Disney/Marvel movie. Not one that I wouldn’t watch over again. Hopefully Captain Marvel is also great. I don’t like if she is the most powerful of all. That seems not the best because I’d think Hulk/Thor are more powerful. And mostly I don’t like most powerful type because I like how the characters have to overcome their weaknesses.

Funny have you all seen Avengers from SNL. Hawkeye is hilarious.

#3066 5 years ago

Who’s stronger Captain Marvel or Rey?

#3079 5 years ago

Disney will soon own X-Men, Fantastic Four, Deadpool, Daredevil not to mention The Simpsons and Avatar (4 future movies). Let's how they don't get too mired in the SJW movement.

#3094 5 years ago

Captain Marvel should be 'like' Ant-man not a major hit like Avengers. I think Black Panther broke out and people are expecting every movie to be like BP, but that should not be the case IMO.

#3109 5 years ago

It seems like Captain Marvel and (so far) all Marvel movies have not been contaminated like SW (SJW/Fatigue)

Captain Marvel has already surpassed Solo Domestic and Global totals

Solo $392M world wide

Captain Marvel at $709M has passed a lot of movies like many X-Men movies and is at 107 all time in just one week and change. Still well behind the dailys of Black Panther but otherwise solidly top 6-10 of Marvel movies. Will probably land up in the $1B category with foreign receipts kicking ass already at $500M

Rogue one was $523M foreign and had more domestic gross to break the $1B club, we need to see how badly second week is (seems like $60M is estimate for the weekend that is not included in the totals of CM yet).

#3111 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eryeal:

I think a lot of it is timing as well. The most anticipated Marvel movie of all time is a month away, and this is the connector movie between them. I know quite a few people that haven't seen a lot of the standalone Marvel movies, but saw IW and then Captain Marvel because they viewed it as important to see before EG. I think if Captain Marvel was made at any time before IW, it wouldn't have done nearly as well.

My point is that Marvel is almost assumed to be a big hit and not lose money on a film like Solo did. It seems like SW is not as sure of a thing after KK got it messed up. I do think SW is still a big deal with SW theme lands in both of the US Disney resorts (I think they will be huge attractions). But that is not due to the last couple SW films more to do with overall 40+ years of SW.

#3112 5 years ago

Just updated Captain Marvel is at $760M global that’s a few million less than the first Guardians did in the whole release. A couple of days it’ll pass Deadpool and DP2 and IJ4.

It’s almost a lock for $1B box office I’ll see it because you know Avengers 4.

CM second weekend domestic is just $10M shy of TLJ did in second weekend TLJ sits at $1.3B worldwide, I think CM will pick up more international than TLJ but less domestic.

I have not seen CM yet but we can put to bed the idea that fatigue is a factor.

#3121 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

It did have a 69% drop off from last Friday but if you front loaded a lot of tickets in the first week not unexpected. Long term numbers will be interesting.

-55% second weekend which is better than average MCU film. Already top 10 MCU film worldwide.

#3132 5 years ago

I actually liked IM3. I always hear this was a bad movie, but perhaps I like all the Marvel movies think any of the Hulk movies would count as the worst. Speaking of which IM3 drew in $1.2B at box office not far below Black Panther. I’m not surprised if CM gets to a Billion.

#3141 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Daredevil was clearly the best of the Marvel series on Netflix, if drawn out with filler episodes time to time. Never even bothered to see more than one episode of Iron Fist or Luke Cage. The first season of Jessica Jones was alright, Dave Tennant was an excellent villain that made the season.

What about The Punisher?

#3148 5 years ago
    Quoted from dtown:

I really hated Shane in Walking Dead

Nope he was great in TWD especially when he got his buzz cut.

2 weeks later
    #3172 5 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Shane was a very hateable character. That's what made him so good in TWD.

That's what I mean, he was alpha male and he and Rick needed to fight it out in the end.

#3177 5 years ago

Meanwhile Captain Marvel is closing in on top25 all time worldwide. Not saying that makes it a great movie but it’s a money maker.

Hopefully Black Widow can get a solo movie before the old guard is replaced.

#3180 5 years ago

Disney shares up 12% today.

While most can agree that KK and RJ have destroyed SW for many fans. Overall SW purchase by Disney was not all bad. I can take a few Solo or TFA duds but some other movies and maybe tv series may be good.

Also tell me who is not going to watch episode 9. You may watch it because you love it or hate it but it’s going to be watched by everyone here on this thread. Imo.

#3184 5 years ago
    Quoted from racer_x:

I still haven't watched Solo even though Netflix prompts me to do so every time I log in. I'll read the synopsis for this one but no, I probably won't bother seeing it unless it's far better than I can imagine it being.

Solo is not good but some day it’d make a good Mystery Science Theatre 3000 episode.

#3192 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eryeal:

That's due to the Disney+ streaming service announcement. Price is shockingly low - $7/month, and includes everything. Investors are eating that up.

Does it include ESPN?

#3198 5 years ago
    Quoted from oktobernv:

Trailer looks awesome.....
    For REAL

JJ Abrams to the rescue.

2 weeks later
    #3254 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

If you noted in the article it clearly stated that domestically, which is where the studios make their biggest cut, CM is $50 million below Disney's $450 million projection. Black Panther did a cool $700 million domestic. The overseas box office percentage that goes back to Disney is just garnish compared to the cut they get from domestic ticket sales.

CM is at $408M as of Friday not counting Sat/Sun which should net another $5M+ CM will not be far off $450M domestic (maybe $430M). I can't say if that includes the studio buying tickets to pump the numbers (I don't agree with that). I plan to see CM before Avengers (have not seen it yet) and will see both in the next week so there is still money to be made in the theatre for CM.

CM actually was doing better sales this week (leading up to Avengers than it did last week was doing $1M+ per day so there is possibly another $20M to be had.)

I also do not agree with Disney mandating that theatre still show CM especially on a giant opening weekend. When I see these movies (like when I saw BP when it was out a few months already) then the theatre are nearly empty. I have been in a theatre with just 5-6 other people. Often times most theatre will drop the movie will still be one or two showing here and there for month yet to come. CM is just at 50 days and IM3 was out 70 days while BP was out 170 days (likely was just a small few theatre that kept it running that long).

#3256 4 years ago
    Quoted from Eryeal:

It's hard to respond to rumors that are basically a few Twitter accounts, and "unnamed" movie theater managers. Until there is some actual evidence, I'd tend to go for what is most likely (Occam's razor usually wins out), and that's the fact that Disney wouldn't perform illegal, fraudulent activity (this would fall under investment fraud, inflating numbers to appear more successful to investors) that would mean potentially millions, if not billions, in fines and jail for top execs. It would also be very easily traceable to see who purchased tickets online if pursued, so no easy way at all to cover yourself.

good point, like it or not CM is a huge hit (not BP level) but heck it'll pass IM3 and all non-Avenger movies (not including BP) and likely was far cheaper to make than 3 hour Avengers with a dozen legitimate stars. CM is nearly double the gross box-office of Ant-man or Dr. Strange (worldwide).

#3257 4 years ago

I was watching the extended edition of Hateful Eight (on Netflix), highly recommended if you like the movie. But came away not liking it near as much as the studio cut. But still worth watching and think there could have been a middle ground where there was not so much stuff added back in.

I have to wonder if (with new streaming service) if Disney would ever make extended version of these MCU movies. I am sure that 3 hrs is a long movie but likely they filmed a lot more (like the LotR films).

#3263 4 years ago

#3273 4 years ago

What about Star Wars Holiday Special?

#3281 4 years ago

when can we talk about End Game in here without destroying the internet?

There’s already an End Game thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avengers-end-gameholy-crapwhat-a-movie

I don’t wish to read about End Game to avoid spoilers.

#3284 4 years ago

Finally saw Captain Marvel today.

I think it is the worst Marvel movie in the MCU by far, no humor at all.

I fell asleep for a bit, there was way too much preaching that girls/women are better than men. I also think that CM is way too powerful, like she could destroy an entire fleet of ships without much effort. Initially thought when they were saying she is the most powerful Marvel hero that was just an exaggeration like she's not really stronger than Thor or Hulk. But it almost seems like she has infinite powers and could do anything at all.

The pinball machine was the best part of the movie.

If I never see Annette Bening in another film I’ll be fine with that. Wish that Marvel could leave the over the hill actors like Robert Redford and Annette Bening rust in piece.

Brie Larson is not horrible but she’s not a great actress and has that angry face all the time. What could have been (Blake Lively for example would have been much better imo).

#3303 4 years ago

They can have old man Jones reminiscing and fade back to young actor.

40888318-3C28-4D6A-A30B-338ED4EE1105 (resized).jpeg40888318-3C28-4D6A-A30B-338ED4EE1105 (resized).jpeg

#3315 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Just a shameless money grab, which I have the option of not participating in.

Disney is a business to make money and they bought Lucas films to make more movies. Didn't pay George $4B for nothing, they want to make more films and TV shows.

I am sure they made a mistake with TLJ and Solo but the other two SW films weren't that bad. If JJ can make the last SW film somewhat as good as TFA that's fine.

I don't think it's a good idea to have 77 year old Harrison Ford in any more action movies. Even when he was in IJ4 I thought he was too old to be having fist fights.

I would love to see IJ come back with new (younger star like Chris Pratt or some of the names above). I think there is a lot more action adventure stories to be told in the IJ universe just not with 77 year old Ford as the lead.

#3320 4 years ago
    Quoted from PersonX99:

I'm still bitter than Disney shelved Tron3 in favor of Tomorrowland....

true

1 week later
    #3344 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

To be fair to TLJ, star wars was ruined a long time ago. It's not like it's the first horrible movie in the franchise.

A lot of people liked TFA. Maybe not the best movie but it garnered $900M domestic gross.

#3348 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

Let’s not correlate domestic gross with “like”...but TFA was decent enough. TLJ was not.

You don’t get to $900M by accident or hype. You get a huge opening weekend and that’s it. But TFA had long legs and people *must have* seen it multiple times. If it was bad word of mouth would have crushed it like Solo and TLJ.

I liked TFA (some not a lot) and I thought R1 was a good movie. But TLJ was so bad and Solo said to TLJ “hold my beer”.

1 week later
    #3353 4 years ago

this is pretty spot on about Solo

1 week later
    #3366 4 years ago

End Game will pass Avatar to become the top grossing movie all time (worldwide) more than $620M from China alone.

End Game will surpass the last three SW movies combined. (R1, TLJ and Solo).

1 week later
    #3372 4 years ago

cash grab alert, End Game will be adding a post credit scene. I'm not to mad because I wanted to see it again in theatre.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/19/18691624/avengers-endgame-post-credits-scene-rerelease-spider-man-far-from-home-avatar

1 month later
    #3450 4 years ago

This is not a Disney observation but just saw the movie Into the Spider Verse and thought it was one of the best super hero movies and hope that some more comic type movies will be made.

#3473 4 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

IIRC the main character is Pedro Pascal from Narcos (another inspired choice).....right?

GoT as well. 08C27404-9898-41B3-AB77-FA0E9248E292 (resized).jpeg08C27404-9898-41B3-AB77-FA0E9248E292 (resized).jpeg

#3487 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Good to see this movie continues the tradition of seeing what new, crazy shit they can do with a lightsaber to sell toys. Seriously, what practical purpose could a fold in half lightsaber serve?

Was watching the trailer and didn’t see foldable light saber until the end. But I couldn’t picture what it was even going to be. Then saw it at the end and laughed out loud.

Still looks to be a better movie than TLJ or Solo. I have a ton of faith in JJ.

#3493 4 years ago

Lost was *not bad at all* kind of like Twin Peaks it’s not completely great but overall great imo. And yes I’ve watched Lost several times.

Star Trek and MI both good enough. Has to be better than TLJ.

I’ll still rewatch Lost better than most shows on tv.

#3504 4 years ago

have you seen what Stan Lee's Daughter had to say about Marvel and Disney? It sounds like complete sour grapes from a person who has never done anything of note with her life except to be born to a famous parent.

Almost like SJW Abigail Disney (Roy Disney's grand daughter) who is putting down Disney because Robert Iger makes too much compared to average theme park workers.

Neither one would be of note except they had successful parents/grand parents.

#3517 4 years ago

I’ll be completely shocked if episode 9 doesn’t end up as top 10 all time box office $1.5B++

#3522 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

For anyone that plans to give "Disney +" (Disney's take on Netflix streaming) a shot, they're running a promotion through midnight 9/1 where you can get three years for $141 (works out to $4/mo, vs. the standard rate of $7/mo). You first have to sign up for D23, which is some kind of official Disney fanclub, but there's a free version of that so it won't cost you anything other than your email address, which they'll have anyway once you sign up for Disney +:

1. Visit https://D23.com to sign up.
    2. Tap Join The Club.
    3. Scroll down and select
    Become a D23 General Member.
    4. Tap Create an Account.
    5. Set up a Disney account by completing the registration form and then clicking Create Account.
    Over the next few days, you should receive an email with the Disney Plus offer. You may also see a notification on your D23 account page.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/disney-plus-discount-buy-two-years-and-get-the-third-year-free/

Thanks for the heads up.

#3525 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

FYI that deal is for the Disney+ channel only.
    They will also be offering another deal bundle that includes Disney+, Hulu & ESPN+, but that bundled discount package has not been offered yet. I'm going to wait.

We will wait too because we already pay for Hulu commercial free.

#3528 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I’m not so sure. I think it has an uphill battle to get over $1.5 billion. China has zero interest in Star Wars and its not like TLJ left any cliff hangers or buzz. If it did then Solo would have done better.
    I know I will not paying for a ticket to Episode IX.

I'm a bit convinced that it will top10 ($1.5B) with the new Disney streaming platform SW may have a bit more buzz than 2 years ago. Disney has content to make the streaming work but will also help promote the upcoming films.

I know a lot of SW folks aren't happy about TLJ but casual fans like my wife and kids thought it was good and will see this one in the theatres.

#3540 4 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Trailer #2

It will be different kind of Superhero movie for sure, I also think the reviews will be mixed, it will depend on which side of the political spectrum you're aligned with......

Joker looks... different. I like Joaquin a lot but this film doesn’t look like it has anything happening, unless they are not showing anything in the trailer. I used to like DeNero but he can go fly a kite imo.

2 weeks later
    #3569 4 years ago

I just went to Galaxy's Edge (WDW) also and it was great. Lots of cool atmosphere and cool props and live action players.

I went on the Falcon ride it was very cool, went to the light saber store and that was great as well.

It wasn't overly crowded, I went on single rider line and took like 20 minutes to get in.

Also went to Pandora and Toy Story Land and I think SW land is similar in size and scope.

Overall SW land is very nice.

62BA3935-7799-4995-98ED-E8B04D22A5BD (resized).jpeg62BA3935-7799-4995-98ED-E8B04D22A5BD (resized).jpeg

#3577 4 years ago

Nothing wrong with R1

TFA was ok I’ll give it a B- for good popcorn flick.

but TLJ was just bad. Like it saw Battlefield Earth and said hold my beer.

Solo bad, several directors and rewrites. What did you expect?

Disney would rather spend money on Solo that could have been spent Tron movies.

#3589 4 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

CG Leia and Tarkin: Very Cringe worthy.

I thought Leia was ok but Tarkin was not, he looked like an animatronic actor.

#3592 4 years ago

Their not there

3 weeks later
    #3647 4 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

Trailer's out! I'd like to be the first one to reiterate how bad this movie is going to be! Worse than the prequels.

The prequels did make a lot of money which is why Disney bought SW in the first pace to make money. Also not everyone is hard core fans. My wife and kids enjoyed TLJ.

Maybe SW can be saved by the TV show which looks great imo. If we have to live with a few stinkers to get something great that’s ok with me.

#3674 4 years ago

You haters gonna hate but episode 9 will break all kinds of records.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr.com/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-boycott-presales-empty-threat/amp/
    881F6808-527C-464E-BCEB-E8145B3FE269 (resized).jpeg881F6808-527C-464E-BCEB-E8145B3FE269 (resized).jpeg

#3676 4 years ago

Disney has a lot of tricks to get the box office high like mandatory largest theater for x many weeks. But likely this will be an event like End Game.

Please don’t think this will relate in any way to Solo. It’s likely to surpass Solo in the first week or less.

#3688 4 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

good summary from the man himself!

OMG the best post in this thread.

Lucas is a maniac and he still thinks the prequels are good movies. But at least we agree on this last saga.

#3691 4 years ago

I still use Netflix. Good content to me. But I’m also watching older network shows on Netflix and get one DVD at time in the mail because they have hundred thousand movies or so and I find movies can’t get anywhere else.

I am less going to theater maybe 5-6 times a year.

I’m going to see SW 9 but not on opening weekend.

#3706 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Serious question. Despite the intense marrying of characters and moving a collective plot forward, do we really thing the Disney Marvel era of movies will hold up over the years?
    I don't feel they hold the emotional weight, spectacle or artistic direction of the first two Donner Superman movies or the Nolan Batman films.
    I don't feel these movies even come close to matching the popcorn spectacle of Spielberg's Indy series, which not incredibly great films, are long lasting and genre defining movies.

Yes the Marvel movies will hold up for me. Maybe not all like Ant-man or Captain Marvel. But IM, Thor, Strange etc hold up to IJ movies imo. Some better than others but IM is quite old now and I can watch it quite a lot still.

#3715 4 years ago

I’d rather see a 3PO movie than TLJ.

#3722 4 years ago

I love these cinematic TV shows but I’d be down for some lesser production weekly sci-fi drama that don’t cost $20M per episode, get more volume of content. Maybe I need to start watching the clone wars. (?).

#3733 4 years ago

It does sound like some people just wont like anything done by Disney. It’s all Avengers sucks and Mandolorian is gonna blow.

I’m sure some don’t like the direction with TLJ, all the force is a woman and Mary Sue and Mary Poppins and just say everything past the original trilogy is crap.

To be honest nothing is pure gold there are some things in the original trilogy that I roll my eyes at. But I still enjoy it and I like the prequels at times. And I liked TFA and R1 a bit.

I mean it’s not all great like the original trilogy (TLJ and Solo were super low points but for example some James Bond were stinkers that doesn’t mean I’m not going to watch any more James Bond movies. Godfather 3 was horrible but I’ll still watch it from time to time because I like The Godfather movies and even a bad movie is good for something imo. It just hurts that it’s not as good as part 1 & 2 but I’ll still watch GF3 again.

#3745 4 years ago

Disney+ is live now. Who’s gonna be the first to watch Mandolorian?

#3754 4 years ago

I've not seen it but just caution that first episodes of series are not always the best of times. Maybe there are some occasions like TWD but lots of times it's more introduction and laying the groundwork.

1 week later
    #3789 4 years ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

I can guarantee the third film in this Trilogy will be even more of a train wreck than TLJ!!

Not possible.

#3833 4 years ago

Yes, for example the control knob ball you can understand what he’s thinking without words needed.

#3843 4 years ago

yep at 33-38 minutes also not a lot of meat on the bones. Kind of ok show but it's not really gritty or intense (more of a kiddy show).

#3861 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

You have to understand that the masses are so oblivious to what a good movie is these days. If it's got action and explosions and lightsabers, with some pew pew lasers, it'll do just fine. Not to mention, the average star wars fan will eat up anything star wars without question and then accuse you of not being a true fan for not lapping it up as well.

Yes, my wife and kids all liked TLJ and Solo.

#3883 4 years ago

the trailer looks great. I has no dialogue but the action as special effects look great.

#3897 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Well, this was pretty painful....

JJ seems like a dude scrambling to gather pieces of garbage resting on the top of a table. Like he picks shit strewn, then assembles it to make a glossy pile of trash, with no rhyme or reason, just gloss.
    No chemistry from this group at all, and the interviewer is really painful to watch lob softballs at these twits.
    Side note, finally watched Spider-Man: Far from Home last night, and wow....Favreau seems like cancer to projects for me at this point. That movie was such a confused, jumble, and further made every point to undercut Peter as a helpless moron, and every gal in that film making every dude a fool, whether it was Ned, Peter or even Happy with that weird dating scene. Just an awful C Side level mess that could have just as well been a shitty animated tv episode.

Favreau just starred in Far From Home (anyway I thought that movie was pretty good).

#3898 4 years ago

can you believe this? The prequels are ranked as the 3 worst SW films (including Solo) and TFA is said to be good film except for a few vocal fans who are trying to talk it down.

https://www.newsarama.com/42520-ranking-the-star-wars-movies.html

This list has TLJ as the 3rd best and RotJ as #7 (granted I didn't love ROTJ)
    https://www.vulture.com/2018/05/every-star-wars-movie-ranked-from-worst-to-best.html

Here TLJ as #3
    https://collider.com/star-wars-movies-ranked-from-worst-to-best/#the-last-jedi

#3913 4 years ago

I thought Mando episode 4 was ok, but can see now it’s more of an episodic series not a long arc story (at least at the moment). I guess it’ll be like Kung Fu series. Whatever I’ll watch it but I’m not at all overly impressed as some people were leading to believe that it would be epic TV.

#3971 4 years ago

I’m hoping episode 9 will exceed my modest expectations.

#3984 4 years ago

I still don’t like everyone calling him Mando. He never introduces himself as Mando or anything. It’s kind of strange imo. Oh well the whole show is kind of stupid.

Also why can’t he remove his helmet while alone on the ship? SMH.

3 weeks later
    #4367 4 years ago

Just saw ROSW and it was not horrible all considered, not a good movie but not as bad of a train wreck as TLJ or Solo. I will say there were only 30 people in the theatre and 3 left in the middle of the film.

I can not imagine a worse casting of an actor than Adam Driver (horrible).

I thought the Finn, Poe, Rey scenes were usually ok and I like some of the humor.

#4370 4 years ago

Adam Driver is ok but doesn’t look much like Ford. I know it’s possible to have different looking children but not even a passing resemblance.

Also Mandolorian is finally over and very dull or TV action like the A-Team more than cinematic TV like GoT.

#4374 4 years ago
    Quoted from motorbreth77:

Two guys discussing Rise of Skywalker. Funny shit.
    Star Wars
    1977-2019
    RIP

that's hilarious.

#4408 4 years ago

I mean let's see a directors cut what can it hurt? Let it be in theaters or on Disney+

Heck Disney re-released End Game with like one minute of extra content (I didn't see it) but it can easily do a new release int he theaters when the original slows down and it's already well behind TLJ.

Look QT did a Hateful 8 extended edition, there were multiple Blade Runner editions and LotR as well. What's to Hurt, and it'll be more content to stream,m for Disney and hell of a lot cheaper than filming new movie if most of the stuff is already in the can.

I happen to like JJ a lot and it sounds like he wasn't given full control like he was promised.

#4439 4 years ago

Howard Stern and Robbin both loved it, my wife loved it, other people I’ve talked to said that TROS was great etc.

But the true SW geeks on Howard Stern show just said something like I have a different opinion about it. It’s like I was talking to a coworker he loved it and he loves Mandolin and everything that’s been done relating to SW.

So I think we have casual fans like my wife and Howard and Robbin.

Then we have fans who just love everything SW like my friend.

And there are fans of SW who don’t like the current movies.

I think to me original trilogy (although ROTJ was a bit weak) then R1 was good and the prequels were good too and TFA was ok but I kind of hate Solo, TLJ, I think ROS is ok too but I understand if you hate it, but can’t understand anyone who loved it unless they just watching as something with special effect and things blowing up.

#4485 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

That's the way that most films are made nowadays.

That’s interesting because Quintin Tarantino was talking about directing Star Trek. I think I would have been great but don’t think it would have passed whatever criteria is deemed appropriate for a film franchise.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indiewire.com/2020/01/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-exit-1202203086/amp/

1 week later
    #4551 4 years ago

Mando (imo) is very basic, only noteworthy or talked about because it’s in the Star Wars universe. Maybe in time it’ll get better but I’m not impressed.

However if you want to talk about money or eyeballs it’s probably doing very well.

I’m currently at Hollywood Studios waiting for the Rise of the Resistance ride. The park is packed. You have to be inside the park by 7am to register for a boarding group which are completely assigned out by 7:30 now you may need to wait 12 hours to get on the ride. If you aren’t physically in the park by 7:20 you won’t get a boarding assignment. It must be a gold mine for Disney. $4.50 for a souvenir coke or sprite grenade, blue milk drink, droid build store packed. Star Wars area is packed with at least half of the people wearing Star Wars shirts or sweatshirts old ladies and young kiddies alike.

I’ll report back after the ride to give my opinion....

Long wait but the SW ride is one of the best of all time up the HP Gringots and Avatar Flights ride.

#4562 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

It isn’t that great, although to Star Wars fans who are rapid, they might like it. I think it suffers from the poor trilogy characters and story. If it was based on the OT, it might have been better.

I guess sure (that's fair about anything). I mean if I was eating SW Pringles I'd say it'd be better if was the OT. But generally it was very realistic (made me feel like I was on the star destroyer).

#4573 4 years ago

Since we have been discussing SciFi films or shows in general, I stumbled on this website short SciFi films (reminds me of early Black Mirror show)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7sDT8jZ76VLV1u__krUutA

1 year later
    #5303 2 years ago

Here we go with Loki

Director Kate Herron revealed that highlighting the God of Mischief's sexuality was one of her objectives when she got involved with the show.

"From the moment I joined @LokiOfficial it was very important to me, and my goal, to acknowledge Loki was bisexual," she wrote in a tweet. "It is a part of who he is and who I am too. I know this is a small step but I'm happy, and heart is so full, to say that this is now Canon in #mcu."

4 months later
    #5353 2 years ago

My brother in law who is really clueless about SW franchise but he knows I love SW, he sees I have the SW pin and such. Anyway we don’t talk about how I feel about the new movies, I don’t believe he’s even watched anything maybe the old movies but he’s really just a guy who thinks because I like SW than it makes a good gift to get me SW merchandise.

Also I’m not saying girls/women are bad to be in a movie but I’m not all woke casting (men are bad) and think that maybe it’s ok if a woman looks attractive in a movie. And I don’t hate the traditional tropes like guys are good at fighting and hero stuff. Again I’m not against women in action like T2 or Alien but I’m not like every woman should be Ripley or Sarah Connor character there can be some Willie from Temple of Doom.

So here’s what he gave me the other day as a gift because I’m a SW fan.

Also can we please explain why captain Phasma or Rose are being pushed as main characters? I’ll give you Rey and Leia but hell what the F are we just pushing characters because of their genitalia now? Is there not more to a role than how they can push the quotas in the ‘correct’ direction?0613E2BB-281F-4748-99C3-25884596347E (resized).jpeg0613E2BB-281F-4748-99C3-25884596347E (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
    #5359 2 years ago

Hawkeye first episode was ok, Clint is relatable but I’m not sure about the young girl sidekick tho.

I thought Black Widow movie was not great, only people who were bad were men and every woman character was super good or only bad because of men brainwashing.

Thought Winter Soldier series was ok, Loki was better and Wandavision was the best of the series.

#5363 2 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

IMO Marvel is striking out in Phase 4, and it not as noticeable because it's easy to blame the pandemic for average grosses. The Infinity War story was peak storytelling. IDK if they'll ever be able to reach those high grosses again. Phase 4 is basically filler & backstory, while pushing some pretty lousy C & D list Tier characters. They caught lightning with the little-known Guardians, and they seem to think they can turn any character to an A-lister in the MCU.
    They have an agenda in this phase. Prioritize inclusion and female characters/directors, while expanding the brand worldwide & reaching a wider audience via streaming. IDK how that's working out so far.
    Black Widow & Eternals are Bottom 5 MCU movies. Really boring stories with uninteresting characters. Those movies are downright unwatchable. Shang-Chi was pretty lousy too, with bad attempts at comedy & pretty noticeable poor CGI. None of these demand repeat viewings or sequels. You felt like you HAD to see the next MCU movie or you might miss out on something. These Phase 4 films don't generate that excitement at all.
    People just want more Spider-Man, Dr Strange, Guardians, Thor, etc. Things will pick up when those sequels are released. Think people will be lining up in masses for $3B grosses to see Ms Marvel, She-Hulk, Shang-Chi, Ironheart, Moon Night & Blade take over the Avengers? I seriously doubt it. Ironman, Cap & Black Panther are dead. Fans really just want to see Marvel's take on the X-Men/FF in Phase 5. It's fodder & filler for another 3 years until then.
    That said Loki show has been the most enjoyable so far. The Hawkeye show is based on a critically praised comic book run from a few years back. The multiverse story has huge implications moving forward, and Kang the Conquer will be a pretty good baddie until Doctor Doom, Magneto, Silver Surfer & Galactus come along.

I thought WandaVision was different and quirky enough and Wanda is enough of a character that doesn’t seem like we are being forced toxic feminism down our throat.

#5377 2 years ago

^ agree, it’s super lame plus you have the marginal characters who are marginal for a reason. Then you throw on the human element like they need to sell a boat.. guess what?

55CACB04-72BA-46BC-9458-72A407DF5CD9 (resized).jpeg55CACB04-72BA-46BC-9458-72A407DF5CD9 (resized).jpeg

#5380 2 years ago

You guys ever seen these old Captain America movies?

1 month later
    #5432 2 years ago

I thought Hawkeye was not bad.

I rate the Marvel series on Disney.

Wanda
    Loki
    Hawkeye
    Falcon and Winter Soldier

On Netflix Daredevil and Punisher were good, Jessica Jones was ok, didn’t see the others. I think Marvel is going to bring Daredevil into the MCU the actor had a cameo in Spiderman movie.

8 months later
    #5472 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Anyone else reach the Marvel fatigue stage? I just don't care anymore about pretty much anything Marvel related. The new Deadpool 3 movie with Wolverine is about it.

I was thinking the same thing. Because I watched all the movies with my daughter we also watched the ten rings movie that wasn’t bad and the Eternals that was bad.

I’m just about there with SW also after The Last Jedi I’m kind of over it. I only watched one season of Mandolorian.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spoilers-star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-really-bad-spoilers?tu=rai and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.