Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,239 posts
  • 311 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 29 hours ago by PanzerFreak
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 243 votes
      34%
    • decent, better than the prequels 251 votes
      35%
    • really good, on par with the originals 80 votes
      11%
    • great! one of the best 80 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 55 votes
      8%

(709 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

scioli (resized).jpg
    ss1-trapped (resized).jpg
    fantastic_four_1961_48_3 (resized).jpg
    d0c0aa785c9ed124 (resized).jpeg
    b881ebbaf721aff4 (resized).jpeg
    1 (56) (resized).JPG
    the-acolyte-databank-feature-article-feature_536e2878 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1dd86362581cee58daeaeaef82eb6037 (resized).jpg
    the-acolyte-teaser-poster_506fd466 (resized).jpeg
    1 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    6aw3vw8uep501 (resized).jpg
    GGtWnNMWMAAWx0I (resized).png
    nickcole1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2827 Analysis worth watching. Posted by gdonovan (5 years ago)

Post #3520 Path to get Disney + discounted. Thanks @fosaisu Posted by fosaisu (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider methos.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2496 5 years ago

It amazes me people still hope for this series to get back to what it was. The original three were made by an independent filmmaker (and team) at a key time, bringing an entire film genre (sci fi/fantasy) to a respectful level where previously it was laughed at for decades. We got three great movies out of it.

Even Lucas couldn't get the magic back 25 years after (I would say Phantom Menace came close with the first 15 minutes and the saber duel). Now in this modern world we really think it will return?

The saddest part of all is that they actually had the three principals (and a few sides) back for a full move, and they blew it bad, real bad. Sure, kill the all off and watch people flock into theaters to see your next series.

1 week later
    #2525 5 years ago

This says it all from above:

"For the first time in Star Wars, there is no joined-up thinking. This doesn’t feel like a story written by people thinking about lore, mechanics and continuity. This feels like a story written by people who understand what Star Wars looks like on the surface but none of its internals and complexities. This is a film designed by a focus group. Lucas’s prequels felt clunky but authentic. The sequels feel snappy and vibrant but inauthentic. They don’t really fit the SW universe. And that’s a big problem."

2 weeks later
    #2566 5 years ago

I watched Tron Legacy last night, and I couldn't help but think how great that movie was compared to the recent Star Wars movies. And to think they halted another Tron movie because of Star Wars.

Tron Legacy is a actually a pretty good film.

#2572 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Tron 3 got put on ice after Tomorrowland tanked (a studio would consider those the same genre)
    Had nothing to do with Star Wars.

Google says you are correct. I had originally heard that the Star Wars films was were Disney was going to use it's $ for. Tomorrowland? What the hell was that?

As for "Star Wars burn out" as the reason for weak TLJ reviews/box, do you really think they are going to say "We fucked it all up"?

Nope.

2 weeks later
    #2623 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

The Outer Limits reboot was really good. The Frazier spin off from Cheers was great. Doctor Who was great when it came back (though it was technically just a continuation but felt like a reboot).

I agree on the Outer Limits, which was ok, not great and not as good as the original series.

The best example of a remake being better is The Thing, but that was like 35 years ago.

1 month later
    #2661 5 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Uh, no. Bladerunner 2049 was a freaking masterpiece of cinema. I liked that one far better than the first.

I thought it was a piece of shit.

2 weeks later
    #2682 5 years ago

Out of the 3 prequels, I always thought the first one was halfway decent. Don't get me wrong, I remember leaving the theater like "what the hell just happened here", but the first 20 minutes of it are really good, and the Darth Maul scenes are very good.

2 and 3 are both unwatchable.

#2689 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

The saber fights were cool but Yoda's with Count Dooku was borderline ridiculous.

No, it wasn't borderline - it was f$%^ing ridiculous.

It was at that point I realized Star Wars was dead forever. Even the Marvel comics from post 77 have more soul in them.

#2694 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Episode 3 is without question the most watchable of the prequels. While it certainly has it's many flaws, it also has some pretty memorable moments.
    That long opening intro shot that follows the Jedi Starfighters into the Battle of Coruscant is one of the best cinematography moments of the series. Ewan McGregor's performance as young Obiwan was the highlight of the prequels. There's well choreographed lightsaber fights. It introduced famous locations like Mustafar & Kashyyyk. It explained the transformation of the Emperor & the betrayal of the Jedi via Order 66. The dramatic last moments between Anakin & ObiWan. John Williams last good Star Wars score. There's some good stuff in there.
    Of course there's the usual bad dialog, wooden acting & lousy romantic scenes. The General Grievous character being a huge letdown. Flying R2D2 which he hasn't done before or since. There's really poor use of green screen, when Grievous is madly swinging 4 lightsabers an inch in front of Obiwan's face & he doesn't even flinch. Jedi fighting on a river of lava. Then the over-the-top-stupid Yoda/Emperor fight, and of course the NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO scream.
    That said, its the best of the prequels. But behind the originals & Rogue One. I'd basically put it on par with Solo, and neither deserve their own pin for the record. haha That's my take. Just saying "it sucks" is not a great argument for this thread.

No dude, ...it's horrible. Nothing good about it.

I forgot about R2 flying...what a great idea.

#2706 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Ankin vs Kenobi was over the top too, that close to lava both would have fried in seconds. It takes away the suspension of disbelief that lets you immerse yourself in a good movie.
    Give Lucas his due, the fights were well choreographed.
    Opinion: The saber fight with Darth Maul was the only one I can recall in the prequels with any weight to it.

That's the problem. The duel between Vader and Ben in ANH has huge weight behind it and it's in a hallway of all places...but it doesn't matter because of the characterization and story that leads up to it. Two heavyweights going at it for the last time. Those doors closing at Luke is fleeing for his life is what made Star Wars great.

As great as the Maul fight was, Lucas had to F$%k it up with all the skyways extravagant sets. For what purpose? Just so we can say "ooohhh...".

#2707 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

I must disagree. The final battle between Anakin and Obi Wan did have substance. Particularly the dialogue from Obi Wan.
    Example:
    Obi-Wan Kenobi: You were the Chosen One! It was said you would destroy the Sith, not join them! Bring balance to the force, not leave it in darkness!
    Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader: I hate you!
    Obi-Wan Kenobi: You were my brother, Anakin; I loved you.
    That line in itself is one of my favourites in the entire series of movies. Those lines were delivered with real anguish and sorrow. Pretty powerful scene in my opinion.

You're joking right?

#2721 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I watched all of the movies through R1 recently with my Daughter (age 4.5). She loves all of them. I was talking with a friend who did the same with their child, but skipped 1-3, and refuses to acknowledge their existence. I've never felt like a worse parent than when I realized I subjected my child to 1-3 needlessly...
    It had been a while since I saw them, so I guess it was good to go back and take a new look at them. Ep1 is easily the best of the bunch. Is it bad? Yep. But, it does at least have some redeeming qualities. Darth Maul was an awesome character, and the lightsaber duel is the best in any of the prequels without contest (the later duels were ridiculous).
    I tried to pay attention to the slower storyline this time through. It's true there's some decent content there in the way the emperor rises to power, but it's delivered in such a way that it feels like a subplot to the teen romance novel playing out in front of you.
    Unpopular opinion, but I feel like all of the acting in the prequels is poor, including Obi Wan and Qui Gonn, and ESPECIALLY Padme. .

Agree with all of what you say up to Obi Wan and Qui Gonn. I thought Liam Neeson was spectacular. To me, he feels like the one who actually sold what it meant to be a Jedi (other than Luke in ROTJ). He projects what a Jedi really is, especially when he explains it to Annakin. The way he meditates during the battle with Maul was brilliant.

TPM is a halfway decent movie, take out 20 minutes of it and it's actually pretty good.

#2735 5 years ago
    Quoted from tl54hill:

Despite our many differences, our divergent walks through life, and coming from a breadth of life experiences, we may all find unity this holiday season in the fact that The Last Jedi was fucking terrible.

I have no idea how that was even allowed to be released. Disney should have held it back for 6 months, done a shit load of reshoots, and fixed it.

#2742 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

They got exactly what Kennedy wanted, why on earth would they delay 6 months?
    The movie wasn't made for you, making it better for you or I wasn't an option.

The problem is the damage to the brand. Even Lucas's three prequel films never killed the franchise...there was always the hope that the next one would be better.

TLJ killed it IMO. How do you bounce back from that? It really comes down to that the ideals and basis for the original films doesn't fly anymore, and those making these films have no clue nor do they care about those ideals. They have their own.

3 weeks later
    #2834 5 years ago

I just got back from DisneyWord.

I swear - 10% of all the park attendees had Star Wars shirts on. I was shocked. I wanted so badly to go up to some of them and ask them what about Star Wars since 1982 do they actually like? My head hurt so bad from seeing them all. Dorks and Geeks everywhere. And the Star Wars land they are building is huge as hell.

If Disney pissed off their fan base, you couldn't tell.

#2842 5 years ago

Why does everyone say KK is out of the picture?

4 weeks later
    #2870 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

On a side note the whole First Order concept destroyed any sense of mystery and wonder as to what happened after Return of the Jedi. 30 years later and there's a new even more evil version of the Empire? LAME! The entire First Order concept should have been scrapped, it was only been used to soft reboot the movies. If the new trilogy would have focused on Luke training a new generation of Jedi and Ben being turned by the Sith (no First Order involved) it would have been much more compelling. Guess it's true what Mark Hamill said afterall "In Hollywood it doesn't matter if the story is good, only if it makes money".

Story wise, I'm not sure how much more they could have F$%^$d it up honestly. At least Lucas retained his overall concept and story arc, even if the details and effects killed it.

We all wondered what happened after Jedi, and now, I wish I still was left wondering.

#2871 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

Yup its a mess. Too many cooks... they screwed it up. Lucas drew from Kurosawa's concept of "Immaculate reality" (initially)... this is why everything seemed to 'fit' and we were able to forgive or look over gaps/holes that exist in the story-lines. It literally pulled you in... you cannot have anything take you out of the experience, you have to be lost in it. Once you are taken out of the experience... it shuts you down, the movie becomes ... meh.

Nothing in those original movies took you out of his vision. One could say the Ewoks were treading close, but the Vader/Emperor/Luke finale brought balance to it.

I'll never forget seeing the Jabba scene from Jedi or the At Ats walking across the screen in the theater when I was 12 years old. It was magic and I believed it.

#2878 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

... and the First Order is inept and comes across as a bunch of screaming idiots. They are effectively a toothless idiot with a brat running around them. It's so bad its laughable.

This brings up another great point. The Empire in the original films were bad asses, and they acted like it. Professional, competent, disciplined...I think of Peter Cushing's portrayal....just professional and dare I say it...class?

My guess is that the original filmmakers and actors knew how people in military power acted, they were not that far removed from the WW2 era, were this new batch of filmmakers only have Google and "how to" memes on You Tube, along with their Twitter followers.

The human race is doomed.

#2879 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

I got no beef with KK, she just wasn't the right person for overseeing the job of continuing the Skywalker saga... running the business, serving the story tellers... fine.

I do, she let her political beliefs mold the story, and she has no idea what the concept was...which I find hard to believe giving her past history. Although, was it more of the people she was working with like Spielberg? Is she just an empty suit? Either that, or she is incompetent.

3 weeks later
    #2920 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

In other related BIG news that quietly slipped under the radar.....
    Look what happen to Kiri Hart, the female head of the entire Star Wars Story Group & Senior Vice President of Development (aka Kathleen Kennedy's right hand). She was a producer & expected by some to succeed Kennedy at some point. She was highly promoted by Lucasfilm (see article link below). She's been there since day one when Disney took control of Lucasfilm in 2012. The whole "The Force is Female" campaign was her idea. It was her idea to make the story group entirely female. It's widely accepted that she was one of the main driving forces in destroying the franchise. And now she's gonzo. No press release. No explanation. They wiped all mentions of her on their websites, which fans finally noticed last week. Lucasfilm were then forced to admit she is no longer working at Lucasfilm. The "consultant" tag is just a cover to avoid admitting she was fired.
    This is wonderful news for fans, and clearly shows that major changes are coming to Lucasfilm after the Episode 9 release. She has no credits for the Mandalorian or Rogue One TV series, which leads many to believe she had to be fired last year.
    Good riddance!
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/22/movies/star-wars-last-jedi-women-run-universe.html
    http://www.jedinews.co.uk/film-music-tv/articles/kiri-hart-leaves-lucasfilm-story-group-now-a-consultant-for-lucasfilm/

Wow. No wonder things are the way they are. It's kind of like reading the leaked Sony emails about Ghostbusters. Makes me wish Lucas was back in charge.

#2940 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Cut the head off the snake & the body will die. Her firing is going help change the current culture at Lucasfilm for sure. It can't be forgotten that KK enabled & supported Kiri Hart's to push all that BS agenda, so she takes the blame as well & needs to go too.

No it won't. You can eliminate people, but not ideas nor ideology. Plenty to take her place. Anybody that gives this franchise another dime is a fool.

1 week later
    #2963 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

The last Marvel movie I paid to see was Dr. Strange and that was barely ok.

I have to disagree. That Dr. Strange movie was fantastic, wish everything could be high caliber like it.

3 weeks later
    #3134 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I actually liked IM3. I always hear this was a bad movie, but perhaps I like all the Marvel movies think any of the Hulk movies would count as the worst. Speaking of which IM3 drew in $1.2B at box office not far below Black Panther. I’m not surprised if CM gets to a Billion.

IM3 had some pretty good lines in it.

"That all you got? One liners and a cheesy pick up line"?

"Sweetheart, that could be the name of my autobiography".

Laugh every time I see that.

3 weeks later
    #3174 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

https://cosmicbook.news/star-war-episode-9-title-will-force
    According to the leaked art and info, the Episode 9 title is "Star Wars: Will of the Force."
    [quoted image]

What a shit show.

3 months later
    #3389 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Wow, the new Picard trailer actually looks amazing! Here I was thinking the shows creators would pull a Last Jedi and make Picard an old grumpy man that doesn't want to help anyone. "I started this winery to die", "It's time for Starfleet to end" lol. Nope! Take notes Disney...actually it looks like CBS took notes after fans reactions to The Last Jedi.

Holy shit....Data is back?

2 weeks later
    #3434 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think it’s these two things (a trip to Disney is not feasible cost wise for most families, it’s simply too expensive) combined with apathy for the product based on poor story telling and world shrinking (as panzer said, everything feels so tiny in the Star Wars world)

I think this is it. The lower than expected crowd levels at Galaxy Edge have shocked the Disney community big time, no one saw this coming. Keep in mind that Disney recently raised RAC rates and ticket prices quite a bit in anticipation for this. I believe the prices are getting to the point that families are starting to value other options besides Disneyland/World. I can't help but think the Star Wars brand is tarnished more than Disney believes as well. The saturation point for both might be now visible.

Now this is for Disneyland keep in mind, DW has yet to open (Aug 29th). I'm going mid Sept for the beer and wine fest and we were going to stay away from GE, but now we'll probably visit Hollywood Studios if the crowd level is low.

#3435 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

I really enjoyed 1-3. 7-8....doesn't even feel like the same movie series almost. More like, someone who once saw the OT years ago, and thought it was kinda neat.

Someone told me they remind them of fan fiction type material (i.e. Star Trek TNG).

1 week later
    #3452 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Yep. Sarcastic post. I always looked at it as his final punishment for failing. Exiled and alone. But now he can have fun adventures, right? I hope he gets a girlfriend.
    Fuck. It's been 40 years since people who understand star wars have made a star wars story. How the fuck is this franchise still going?

More like he had an important role, to watch over the last hope for the Jedi....

#3466 4 years ago

Is that IG 88 in action?

#3476 4 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Holy crap, you can see by the actors he hired this thing is going to be fantastic.....Carl Weathers, G. Esposito, the martial art chick ( I forget her name) and the crazy German filmmaker Herzog.....Lol, this is the antithesis to Disney's last trilogy and it's directors. A rebuke really. IIRC the main character is Pedro Pascal from Narcos (another inspired choice).....right?

Herzog is the best. Hope he has a somewhat sizeable role.

#3489 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Cloverfield: Produced the most nausea inducing shaky camera film ever made. Sequel was even dumber.

Respectfully disagree. Both Cloverfield movies were excellent.

#3495 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

The premise of the sequel was interesting. Stuck in bomb shelter with a suspicious lunatic. There is lots of tension buildup, like all his suspense movies. Then like every other JJ original story, the ending is pretty weak & anticlimactic. I wasn't a big fan. Didn't bother to watch the third one that when straight to Netflix

I don't know how you can say the ending was anticlimactic. I thought it was damn near perfect.

The third one isn't worth watching.

1 week later
    #3557 4 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

Darth Maul should have been the bad guy throughout the first three movies. He should have come back with a vengeance in Episode 2. Obi Wan would have been distracted by his personal rivalry with Maul & that is why he didn't notice Anakin slipping towards the dark side. In my mind, I like the think about Ep1, Ep2, & Ep3 with Maul as the big baddie & Ep7, Ep8, Ep9 with Thrawn as the big baddie.

I still believe Ep 1 was halfway decent because of Maul and Liam. Too bad George forgot his mantra of good storytelling and it seems he totally lost his muse of the old serials which were the inspiration of the original films.

These new movies are a joke, because those making them don't have an vision.

1 week later
    #3565 4 years ago

We visited Galaxy's Edge in Disneyworld this last weekend. The attention to the detail is remarkable, truly a new world created similar in detail and craftsmanship to Avatar in Animal Kingdom. Problem is, there isn't much to do besides go on one attraction (another one to debut within next few months), eat, shop, and build a droid. It's not a planet from any of the first three films, which I don't think helps, and only a few key characters from the new films. Watching Rey avoid Stormtroopers really isn't something that gets crowds going. Speaking of crowds, the crowds were low, really low. There were bigger crowds in Avatar, which has been open 2 years now and when that land opened it was a 4 hour wait for Flight of Passage.

The buyback offer was free dining, so I don't think Disney would have that as an incentive unless the expectations were very soft.

#3567 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Yeah this was pretty disappointing when I first heard it. The fact that the park attractions & theme is focused on the new trilogy. I can see why they are pushing the new trilogy, but it's not what the fans want. (meaning the 40+ year olds who are throwing down big bucks to bring their families there). Hopefully when the attraction expands they will focus more on the original movies. They are well aware that attendance is low for a new attraction like Star Wars. Disney really can't seem to get out of their own way it seems. I'd like to go someday when it's finished though.

It kind of looks like Tatooine, but has the First Order flags hanging all over and the structures are different. The Falcon itself was pretty cool, it's a full sized model and the detail in everything is immense. Even the empty tray cart used by the staff in the quick serve had what looked like laser damage on it. Can't take anything away from their work, but theme wise, does anybody really want to see Kylo-Ren searching around for rebels?

Internally it's being reported that Disney is blaming the slow month of September on the crowd levels, but again - I saw bigger crowds in Pandora. This and they have implemented entertainment cuts and hiring freezes. Clearly, it hasn't held to expectations. That may change a bit when the new attraction is finished.

BTW, - Tron is coming along nice, and the buildings for Guardians is freaking HUGE!

1 week later
    #3579 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Nothing wrong with R1

The ending scene with Vader was horrible.

#3581 4 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

It didn't fit the opening of Star Wars but I loved that scene. It was like a Tarantino alternate reality. So awesome to see Vader actually in battle going full savage. Rogue One I did enjoy but it was plagued with rewrites and changes as well.

The movie was great up until that Vader scene and the fake Leia. Otherwise it was decent.

#3584 4 years ago

His non Star Wars work is a mixed bag. Obviously Raiders was great, but Willow, THX, even RadioLand Murders, which as an OTR fan I appreciated, but the execution wasn't too well. What he did with the original trilogy can't be matched, and as bad as the prequels were, at least he saved us from the SJW impact, which is deadly. The prequels did have a few good moments, unlike these last two which have nothing memorable. Take Ford out of TFA, and it's crap.

#3590 4 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

CG Leia and Tarkin: Very Cringe worthy.

I actually liked the Tarkin character due to I'm a huge Peter Cushing fan, and to see him back on the screen was special. Fischer for some reason looked horrible and felt out of place.

#3600 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I loved seeing Grand Moff Tarkin on screen again. One of the highlights of the film for me.

I read that Cushing's family approved of the use too, although they missed his dry wit and charm, but I doubt RJ ever watched a Hammer film.

#3605 4 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

FWIW its not the speed they moved, its the complete lack of a plan, and what little plan there was sucked ass so far.
    I mean come on, the bare minimum they should be able to do in this modern "franchise" era is plan out the plot of the three movies before betting the farm. Making stuff up as you go along is more fun though I guess.

The "vision" of the studio or director is never questioned. It's always the audience didn't understand it, or they moved to fast, or Russian bots, or some other buillshit reason.

It's never blamed on what it really is: a bunch of hacks who have no vision nor understand the ability to communicate a narrative that is interesting, without adding in their own ideologies and prejudices. Yeah, Lucas lost his way at the end, but he knew how to tell a story, build a new world, and make it a part of people's lives for decades.

2 weeks later
    #3628 4 years ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

(Sarcasm ahead)

Hopefully we get some spin off stories Im dying to see. Anything less than 3 star wars movies per year would be an absolute tragedy.
    How Chewie got his crossbow and bandolier!
    The origins of R2D2’s voice programming featuring a culturally diverse cast.
    CGI Leia and Rey emasculating various male rebels while flawlessly using force powers to conquer the universe.

Don't tempt the hacks and SJWs.

#3633 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Some new photos released today......
    After being dumped from The Last Jedi, I see Abrams has made it a priority to give his childhood friend another featured appearance in The Rise of Skywalker. Snap Wexley, an overweight bearded plot who was SO important to the Resistance that they didn't use him in The Last Jedi. Utterly forgettable character, but you know, them bros gotta stick together and get their speaking role screen time.
    I find the celebrity casting like this annoying. Star cameos & personal favors are the priority over a talented established supporting cast. Like that article link mentioned above, at least Lucas was smart enough to cast strong veteran actors in supporting roles (like Christopher Lee, Jimmy Smits, etc) who didn't distract from the storytelling. They enhanced it. What did Laura Dern, Benicio Del Toro, Gwendoline Christie add to their roles? Not much. In fact I would argue the Baton Trooper from TFA who yells "Traitor!" and fights Fynn was more memorable than any of these star cameos. And the only time they got a supporting role right with Max Von Sydow, they killed him after 3 minutes of screen time. Sounds about right.
    I won't even comment on that giant slug. Too easy a target.
    [quoted image]

Max Von Sydow was the best part of the movie.

#3636 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

This new trilogy made me appreciate & love the prequels even more!

I still say TPM isn't that bad, it's probably the closest we'll ever get to the original trilogy. The first 15 minutes are great as is Liam and the final duel.

1 week later
    #3649 4 years ago

It's going to be terrible.

#3654 4 years ago

At least we have a strong female lead, so story or theme be damned.

#3662 4 years ago

They are calling this the end of the greatest sage ever. That's an insult that reaches beyond a normal thinking person's caliber. End of what? Did the TFA or TLJ ever come close to continuing (let alone equalling) the original trilogy? The working print of ANH was better than either of these, hell the SW Christmas special at least had some interesting concepts.

#3673 4 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

good summary from the man himself!

That's funnier than shit.

2 weeks later
    #3725 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I forget this is pinball forum at times. I'm a Star Wars superfan. First movie I ever saw in theaters was Empire Strikes back at 5 years old. I dress up as a stormtrooper, so I suppose I am biased. However I will call bullshit when I see it. I don't embrace everything just because it is Star Wars.
    I see nothing like that with the Mandalorian.
    From everything I've seen & read, it's going to be a homerun. Fans have been clamoring for a bounty hunter based movie for years. It's written & produced by Dave Filoni & Faureu. Long proven track record & Star Wars superfans. They came up with their own idea for a series & were given the freedom to give the fans what they've always wanted. The casting is fricking outstanding. It covers an era (5 years post Jedi) that is ripe for exploration, as are the type of scum & villainy characters that inhabit these underworlds. It's geared towards adults, not children. Every fan that has gotten a sneak preview has been thrilled with what they saw. I saw the 10 minutes of footage that were leaked at Celebration, and that blew me away. This series is a love letter to the original trilogy, and it's jam packed with small details that only superfans can notice.
    People like to hate on Star Wars these days. Some of that is completely justified. But I think this series is going to surprise alot of people. Latest TV spot:

I believe people are putting too much blind faith in this. They want so bad to have their expectations filled, and while I like Favreau at times and I am big fan of Herzog, I see too many red flags to get excited about it. Just that scene where the bounty hunter turns around at Herzog's comment like he has an attitude has me disappointed. There wasn't any hip/trendy scene like that was ever in Star Wars. No big spotlight moment or intense action blitz ever appears. The original film's play more like a Howard Hawks film than anything else, and the sense of realism at the events are there at every turn, and that was due to Lucas.

It was all about story and character development. Hope I'm proving wrong.

#3729 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Won't worry. You'll be wrong.
    It's not blind faith either. I've seen the trailers. I've read interviews with actors & directors. I'm able to judge with my own eyes. It exactly what I've been asking them to make for years. I've watched the Clone Wars. I've read the books. More scum & villiany and less Jedi is just fine with me. However you apparently watched the same trailers & made a completely opposite interpretation. To each their own.
    So you were disappointed with a "trendy/hip" scene that showed a Mandalorian with an attitude, deplaying his aura of arrogance & confidence? How about when the Stormtrooper tells him we have you 4 to 1, to which he responds "I like those odds". You must not be very familiar with the lore of their race then. Don't worry though. You will soon enough. That last trailer, that Ugnaught says "I've never met a Mandalorian, but I've heard the stories". They are almost as legendary as the Jedi.
    In that scene you're questioning, Herzog was telling him it's good to have Beskar back in the hands of a Mandalorian. Beskar is an incredibly valuable ore & only found on Mandalore. The war loving Mandalorians are master smiths & it what they use to create their unique armor & weapons. Even the Stormtroopers in the room (who are on high alert having a Mandalorian so close) lean in to take a peek at the rare metal. See? It's the little things they are paying attention to. I understand his armor & weapons will change throughout the series as he acquires & crafts more beskar.
    Herzog goes on to state it's good to see things return to the natural order of things. The way things were under strict rule & not the current instability effecting systems after the fall of the Empire. He asks the Mandalorian if he agrees, to which he gets a cold icey stare in return. The Mandalorian only cares about himself. Or is there more to him than meets the eye? Ooooo look! A character development plot point!
    Can't wait for Tuesday

If every film/series was as good as the trailers made it out to be and what the cast stated in interviews, most everything would be cinematic gold. You have your standards and I have mine, that's fine. The scene you reference (appears) to be something from modern times, not what Lucas created 30 years ago. The ending Vader scene in Rouge One is a perfect example of today's cinematic flair (if you can call it that). Lots of fans loved it, however it almost ruined the movie for me.

I do respect Herzog and the Director, so I'm hoping I'm wrong.

#3740 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Herzog unfortunately is a bit of a cartoon character, onscreen, as much as I adore his older films, and appreciate most of his documentaries, even the more recent ones, which aren't as solid as his older work.
    Every line he utters, seems so incredibly poised, lingering on every syllable, and draws me out of the environment he's in....which for a fantasy world doesn't feel good. He needed to be in Bad Lieutenant: New Orleans for that shit, not just behind the camera.

His older work is far superior to anything he's done since he stopped working with Kinski no doubt, but Grizzly Man was a great film. I haven't seen too many of his other recent works besides Loch Ness which was amusing.

#3741 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

It does sound like some people just wont like anything done by Disney. It’s all Avengers sucks and Mandolorian is gonna blow.
    I’m sure some don’t like the direction with TLJ, all the force is a woman and Mary Sue and Mary Poppins and just say everything past the original trilogy is crap.

I don't think that is true. I like about 75% of TPM, and parts of Rogue One was enjoyable as well. The criticisms are (mostly) deserivable and I'm not surprised the output is as poor as it has been. GW couldn't even capture his own magic anymore, the original movies were made in a certain time and in a certain space. To get that magic back isn't very probable. Even Disney isn't Disney anymore, they are so far removed from Walt and all the people who were with him. Now, Disney is just another mega entertainment company like Sony, and the others. Profit was so far removed from Walt's mind, he and his brother fought tooth and nail all their lives about money.

#3743 4 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

“I’ve probably seen each episode of The Mandalorian three times,” Iger says. “First, to give some notes. Second, to see the rough cut and the impact of the notes. And now, just recently, I watched all the final cuts so that I could be blown away by how it looks.” Disney is spending more than $100 million on the show, so it had better be visually stunning and then some.

As long as it's visually stunning, doesn't matter if the story is good or not.

#3757 4 years ago

Watched it last night. 7 out of 10 is about right. Not horrible, but nothing really happened that would make me watch it again at some point. At least there wasn't any SJW or Lucas silly CGI shit, so it's got that going for it.

Was great seeing Carl Weathers again...just wish that Herzog played his part a bit different, it wasn't anything great.

One thing they have to get past is using the same ol shit from the first films. Land Speeder, check. Robot eye out of a building door, check. The square little robot box, check.

#3765 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hobbypinball:

Firefly was fantastic.
    What really stood out for me on Mandalorian was how "sparse" things were. Due to the budgets of the films my brain has been trained that the SW universe is bursting at the seams. It will take my brain some re-training.
    And that was the beauty of Firefly. There was no background reference. It was ok for the firefly universe to be sparse and for the CG effects to be secondary. It was a true western in space.
    Of course in addition the writing and chemistry between characters and the humor was fantastic as well.

Firefly was great because of the charters, the interaction, dialog, and just that it was fun to watch. Every person had positive and negative traits, and you were always watching to see what came next.

Ashamed it ended like it did. Another great show like it was FarScape.

1 week later
    #3800 4 years ago
    Quoted from zaki:

Much better sw movie than originals or prequel.

I needed a good laugh.

#3826 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/was-palpatine-wanted-in-the-rise-of-skywalker-before-j-j-abrams-came-along.html/
    Empire also interviewed Abrams in October and addressed his reasoning for bringing the Emperor back. “Some people feel like we shouldn’t revisit the idea of Palpatine, and I completely understand that,” he said. “But if you’re looking at the nine films as one story, I don’t know many books where the last few chapters have nothing to do with those that have come before. If you look at the first eight films, all the set-ups of what we’re in IX are there in plain view.”
    Yanno, except for films 7 and 8.

The problem is that by bringing him back, you just negated the end of Return of the Jedi and what it meant.

But, obviously these people don't give a shit.

1 week later
    #3903 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Side note, finally watched Spider-Man: Far from Home last night, and wow....Favreau seems like cancer to projects for me at this point. That movie was such a confused, jumble, and further made every point to undercut Peter as a helpless moron, and every gal in that film making every dude a fool, whether it was Ned, Peter or even Happy with that weird dating scene. Just an awful C Side level mess that could have just as well been a shitty animated tv episode.

I just watched it his past weekend. What a shitty movie. If this is what the public wants now, then film as an art film is truly dead. Not just SJW at every chance, but what a CGI mess.

I will say that the first encounter with Spider Man and Mysterio was pretty cool, it was right out of the Silver Age Comics.

#3905 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

The media is protecting the current trilogy because (a) it fits the narrative they want to push on everyone, and (b) they want to make sure Disney doesn’t cut them off or reduce their access for giving a bad review.

Yea, and the actress they had playing MJ was probably the worst actress I have seen in a major production in 2019. Basically just a dead character with no redeeming qualities or interest. I simply can’t imagine her reading for the part and someone saying, “wow! You nailed everything we wanted! You’re hired!” I don’t even think it’s fair saying she was a Woke hire, I’m sure there were other people they could have hired, how on earth did they end up with that actress for MJ?

Dead on both points.

#3910 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

They got everything wrong in Far From Home, specifically Mysterio. Should have been focused on using his gas agents to mentally destroy his enemies, drive Peter insane, hurt those close to him, etc. Like that scene when they were fighting at the construction site. Also introduce J Jonah Jameson pubically attacking Spiderman in this movie. Peter just cant take it & mentally cracks. But a cerebral superhero film does not cut it for today's dumbed down audiences.

I hear you, but I still think it at least somehow resembles the first few encounters with Mysterio, and that part I enjoyed.

The rest was trash. Raimi used Jameson so well in the first Spider Man movie, and he's virtually gone. Plus SM's spider sense is also gone, that was what he used to be one step ahead. But since they made him Superman power wise, guess it doesn't matter as much.

#3923 4 years ago

Can somebody grab and post the WSJ article on Disney/Star Wars from today called "Dark Side of Star Wars"? I bet it's enlightening.

#3935 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I read it. It’s says what you can guess it says, in summary: if you don’t like the new trilogy you’re either old and out of touch or you don’t like women or minorities. It wasn’t critical of the plot or arc in any meaningful way.
    It also had some quotes from Iger saying something along the lines of Disney gets unfair criticism for every attempt to update the lore, even if it’s an update of “small things”.
    It basically blamed the fans for having high expectations or holding Disney to any quality standards...

That is a disappointment. Coming from the WSJ, I thought it would have been more realistic than the SJW pieces.

Look - it's quite easy to see what the game is. Same thing happened with the Ghostbusters reboot - it sucked so everybody hates women and didn't like it because it had a female cast. That is their automatic response because they can't and won't admit the filmmakers completely failed at their objective and/or the studio interference and other interests prevented a good product to be created (these films are all products, not art anymore).

Their theory doesn't hold water as shown by many examples - Ripley in Aliens is the one that comes to mind and that was 39 years ago? Hell - Lucas used Karen Allen in Raiders of the Lost Ark who was a great alpha character...did anybody bitch?

#3941 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

My fellow Pinside moderators have incorrectly accused me of trolling this position for years, but the Phantom Menace is my favorite Star Wars movie. I have my reasons: Darth Maul, amazing sound track, Liam Neesom, world building with the functional Jedi order and senate, the incredibly well done final act of the movie, etc. Many things that bothered others (Jar Jar, Anikin) didn’t bother me at all for whatever reason. I did not like AotC.
    People like different things.

Outside of the original films, The Phantom Menace comes closest to getting it right. The opening 15 minutes of the film is just like Lucas based the originals on, an old fashioned serial. The action starts quickly, and when Liam struggles to get through the door with his saber, that added a bit of realism for me. Take out Jar Jar, Anakin, and the horrible CGI battle at the end, and it would have been much better.

#3947 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

It's okay that people like it.
    I was a crazy fuck in my early twenties then. I think I saw that damn thing 14 times in the theater. Half were at a local dollar theater.
    It was far better than American Pie, which was playing at the local theater around that time, that's for sure!
    It's been popular for so long to shit on the prequels, that I think it's just ingrained in culture to hate them. It's sad, as it's the most complete, refreshing, and sincere Star Wars Trilogy that will ever exist.

The 2nd and 3rd one were garbage. Almost unwatchable for me.

When I saw that C3PO go through that Droid factory, I made a vow never to watch Clones again.

#3950 4 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

The greatest 30 seconds in movie history is when Luke confronts Vader after he suggests Leia might come to the dark side. The music, the fighting, the drama; it is perfection.

I personally think when Vader turns and throws the Emperor to his death is the best, but regardless, we feel that we because we have invested in the characters and believe in our own way, that it is reality, or that it's real to them.

Everything after the originals are just comic book type of scenarios, and that is partly due to CGI, partly to shitty writing and party due to shitty directing.

#3966 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

The issue I always had with that scene, is that a lot of the dynamics seemed cartoonish. As in Palpatine was less nuanced than he became in the Prequels. He obviously turned Crazy Hooded Frog Monster, and that was over the top, but in Jedi, he's just so vaudevillian in ways, so absurd. And the flip for Vader to go from staunch Imperial Advocate to luvin' Daddy, felt so sudden, too extreme.
    I appreciate the thought of that scene, but the execution is a bit exaggerated.

I can understand that, but he did in fact get tempted with Luke on Endor when Luke turned himself in.

#3967 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

I'm perfectly satisfied with 4,5 and 6. Like the Alien and Predator franchises... Alien ends with Aliens, Predator ends with Predator (although I can tolerate Predator 2). So Star Wars ends with Return of the Jedi for me. I went into TFA with a great deal of optimism. I watched it once... walked away feeling ok about it but it didn't really create that desire to see more. After I saw TLJ I found myself totally disinterested in every single one of the new cast. Each one of these movies has felt like each character was acting in their own movie... nothing feels connected its a total mess. I've no reason to feel that TROS will "fix" it. I've read all the spoilers ... it truly sounds awful.
    The OT was an anomaly... it hit us at the right time... it fit our imagination... it felt authentic, intimate. The PT was doomed from the start, there was no mystery ... nothing to keep you wondering. And although Lucas is great and a visionary... he produces a better product when he is working with other talented movie makers. So the PT was just about expose... and that's boring. Disney's trilogy well that's just a cash grab that everyone wants in on... its about making a series of movies that are all inclusive, non offensive... everyone is good everyone is bad ... lots of yelling... scrunchy faces and nostalgic regurgitation. Unfortunately like the OT... it fits our current state of affairs.
    Of course I'm 49 - "get the hell of my lawn" - and that informs my critique. LOL

Well said, you nailed it.

#3976 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

Not gonna lie... I’m a bit optimistic. I’ve sworn off franchise milking exercises... but this looks interesting

I think it looks horrible. Has nothing to do with the style or direction of the original movie. Probably would be a great movie if it was called something else.

#3980 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

It looks more like a spin off. I can tolerate that more than just re-skinning with nostalgia. Feels a bit like a Stranger Things inspired thing
    ... but ... who knows

After thinking about it a bit more, maybe this was the only direction it could take. To do another film in the similar style/same universe as 35 years ago and capture the same magic is impossible.

#4004 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Vader's scene at the end of rogue one is thinly veiled fan service. It serves absolutely no purpose other than an excuse to have Darth Vader swing a lightsaber. That scene was made for the lowest common denominator of star wars fan. The people who like phantom menace because it has pod racing, or the people who think Sith is the best movie because it has the bestest lightsaber fight.

It ruined the movie for me honestly. So out of character.

#4008 4 years ago

I know it's not Marvel, but is anybody watching the Crisis on Infinte Earths series on the CW? I stopped watching the CW a few years ago, but because I was only 12 when I read Crisis in 1985, and my favorite hero lost his life, I'm going to give it a shot.

After one episode, it seems to follow the overall arch of the story, but the details are way different as it has to fit in their current CW world. Was good seeing the Monitor and his two companions, but it's missing the entire Earth 1 (JSA) heroes. But...we'll see.

#4011 4 years ago

And when did he exhibit those peak skills in the OT which took place hours after Rouge One? Why didn't he just wander in the rebel ship and take out all the rebels instead of the STs taking the damage?

Sorry, it was out of place, ridiculous, and pointless.

#4038 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

Gonna be a shit show... bringing back Palps in itself is horrible (another invalidation of the OT story arc). They wrote themselves into this mess ... getting out of it and trying to make Rey a bonafide hero is going to require a bunch of convenient plot points that will probably make you wanna vomit.

It's easy to see what they are going. Luke and Vader were not strong enough to kill the Emperor, but Rey the superhuman woman will.

#4048 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Entertainment Weekly News: George Lucas cut the best Star Wars lightsaber fight out of the prequels.
    https://ew.com/movies/2019/12/11/star-wars-best-lightsaber-fight-cut-prequels/
    Man, so this never even filmed...

No big deal. The 2 on one fight is great because it's plausible.

#4052 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I hope that one day the media believes their job is to report things rather than advocate for positions to try to convince people of various things.

You're going to be waiting a long time.

#4055 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Alas, I fear you are correct.
    Tom Brokaw once said (something along the lines of) good reporting was where you could not tell the position of the reporter giving you the story. My does that statement seem antiquated now because with the media of today if you can't tell the opinion of the author you've got issues of some kind.
    Part of the problem is there are so many ways people can access news that if a media company doesn't take an over the top position for one side or the other of the story then people just won't read the story, the consumer will simply go get the news from another source that conforms with the position they already have. Opinion pieces are what sell and the stronger/harsher the opinion the more sales (or clicks) the respective media company receives. This is clearly not changing any time soon, rather it is accelerating.

The "independent" journalist is long gone...kind of always was, just that they hid it somewhat well.

#4078 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Edit: Also read Lucas notes on light sabres for the original series. The fighting style in the original movies was very deliberate because George envisioned the sabres being very heavy and unwieldy hence the 2 handed style. This gave way to the very fancy and choreographed fighting in the prequels because they were fan favorites and George decided to indulge them.
    The Vader scene in RO is also out of place for this reason, it was clearly added in to "punch things up"

Which would make sense as broadswords, sabers, etc are very heavy, and take a lot of physical effort to use and perform a form with. The thin, fancy sabers used for the choreographing is the same style as modern performing weapons in martial arts, Chucks, Bo-staffs that weigh nothing but are much easier to handle, but totally impractical for real fighting. All style, no substance, just like the films.

#4085 4 years ago

So Daniels said he wanted C3PO killed off.

You know, 3PO and RD hasn't been treated well since the original trilogy. The parts they played in those movies were huge, and even in the prequels, they are just bad comedic background fodder.

What a waste. I remember seeing 3PO as a kid and thought it was the coolest looking robot ever.

#4111 4 years ago

yahoo has a really good review/analysis on went wrong, but this line says it all.

"It is one busy, hardworking movie. But if anything has been proven by the many attempts to rekindle the magic of the original trilogy, it’s that Lucas’ cosmic amalgamation of Flash Gordon and Akira Kurosawa isn’t so easily refabricated."

Nuff said.

#4118 4 years ago

It is after all art. "hey Van Gogh........finish up this Rembrandt for us"

#1 It ain't art.
    #2 Van Gogh could have turned a Rembrandt into a masterpiece - he shouldn't even be in the same sentence as these clowns.

#4137 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I find it so funny that all the sudden the shill media agrees the fan outrage at TLJ is real and is a problem...after two years of calling the complaining fans nothing more than Russian Bots, elderly, fringe sexists, or whatever else they could think of to act like we didn’t exist or our opinions didn’t matter.
    This movie if not going to reach the “low end” of the projection of $1.4 - $1.7 billion. Obviously it’s way too early to tell but those projections are going to be way high. Disney will be pondering how they blew this incredible opportunity they had with SW. KK will be gone by the end of Q2 next year, they will transition somewhere else and not fire her.

The WSJ had an audio article on the franchise on their site yesterday, about 22 min long. I listned, and sure enough -anyone who dares to question the SJW/Force is Female/only Stupid male leads is a racist homophobic Russian bot bigot. I kid you not.

They can't fire KK - that would be a legal liability.

#4153 4 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

I listened to this podcast and unsubscribed after. They give like four legitimate reasons why TLJ was awful, and then they just blame racism and sexism for the hate anyways. WSJ has some great political commentary from their editorial board, but some of their non editorial staff writers are basically just propaganda shovelers.

I agree. They are news/political articles are second to none, but anything else is just more of the same as everywhere else.

#4266 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

IMO, the failure of Star Wars falls directly on Kathleen Kennedy. How do you start a trilogy and not know where your story will finish?

Because she's a hack and has always been a hack, or at least had better people ahead of her with real vision.

#4292 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

1) Embarrassment? They meant to do what the meant to do, any emotion "they" feel will be anger the sheep didn't get in line.
    Edit: Be aware that part of what happened was Disney trying to get out from under clauses in the contract with Lucas. Lucas retained some merchandising rights to the original characters if utilized... So Disney in their shortsightedness decided to murder all the original characters as quickly as possible rather than give Lucas more cash.

There is no embarrassment. This was unaltered social propaganda, not unlike Riefenstahl. This was made apparent by a few articles after TLJ.

I doubt Disney did away with the old characters due to that. It was more likely that the old characters did not fit the new social agenda by Kennedy and the others, both by their historical behaviors and by their genetic makeup. That's why they made Luke flawed and "more human", (I hate that phrase and what it implies).

#4294 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

There is that too, but it is only one factor. How the male characters were portrayed was noted in TLJ.
    Luke; bitter loser
    Han; deadbeat dad
    Flynn; comic relief
    Poe; hothead who doesn't follow orders

Absolutely.

You forgot to add to Poe that he was portrayed as a hothead and incorrect on what was going on TLJ.

#4300 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

That is clear proof of RT locking the audience approval rating. It is just not statistically possible for the rating not to change with that many additional reviews. No fricking way. That site is god awful. Too bad the general public has no clue what a sham it is.

Who is it owned by?

#4308 4 years ago
    Quoted from tl54hill:

RT is owned by Fandango. The current president of Fandango is Paul Yanover, a former executive Vice President and (I believe) board member of Disney.
    It’s getting difficult what to believe in the media anymore.

There you go, follow the $.

What do you mean "getting difficult"?

#4319 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Also some industry inside info: Disney twisted all sorts of arm in regards to a cut theaters make on ticket sales in regards to TFA and TLJ. It was pretty much agree to our terms or get locked out.

This has been standard practice for decades, and is why independent theaters have such a difficult time continuing to exist. In addition, they forced theaters to keep the films long after attendance has peaked.

#4325 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

To each their own! But while it may be the hip thing to trash the prequels now (sometimes the mob has a point, right?), I got in on the ground-floor, first in line for opening day of Episode I with my little cousin. I still remember walking out of the theater just shaking my head, what a nut-punch after all those years of waiting! I know some of you guys had that same reaction to TLJ, but George got me good back in 1999 and I’ve never forgiven him.

What he should have done was to do the next three movies in the saga after ROTJ ,not the prequel shit. That was better left to our imaginations.

#4357 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Again, this is leaks and who knows at what level the info is.
    Roundhead Johnson damaged the brand pretty bad, I think he is out regardless.
    Word is KK is out for sure but Iger wants to replace her with another woman to control the fallout.

Of course. What happened to hiring the most qualified candidate?

#4379 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

.....and the jig is up! Rotten Tomatoes definitely using cut & paste reviews by bots & spam accounts to inflate TROS audience ratings. When you look at other valid review sites, the audience reviews are same as the critics, around 50-60% approval rating. Wish this would become a bigger story. Now that the holidays are over, I'd expect those TROS numbers to take a big hit in the next 2 weeks.
    https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/01/02/new-analysis-claims-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-inflated-rotten-tomatoes-verified-audience-score-with-fake-reviews/

So if it's being done on a movie rating site, what is stopping the same thing from happening to other non entertainment polls?

#4388 4 years ago
    Quoted from oktobernv:

Taken from a LINK is WESMAN's post above
    GREAT read here that I think a lof of folks might have missed.....
    Here's what I've been told from a source that worked on TROS.
    Long
    Since shortly after release weekend, I’ve been corresponding with someone who worked closely on the production of TROS and works for one of the major companies I cannot disclose here. I have verified the source to my satisfaction. To protect the source, I am rewording what we spoke about over the last two weeks and am submitting it to you in bullet point format I have written based on what they told me. The TLDR is that they were upset with the final product of TROS and wanted to share their perspective on how it went down and where it went wrong.
    The leakers for TROS had an agenda and are tied to Disney directly. My source confessed that they have an agenda as well in that they struggle with ignoring what’s been happening to someone who they think doesn’t deserve it.
    JJ always treated everyone on and offset with respect so my source’s agenda is that what Disney has done to JJ and how much they screwed him over should be something people are at least aware of, whether you like him as a filmmaker or not.
    Disney was one of the studios who were in that Bad Robot bidding war last year. Disney never had much interest in BR as a company but they did in JJ because they saw WB (who JJ went with in the end) as a major threat.
    JJ is very successful at bringing franchises back like Mission Impossible, Star Trek and Star Wars. WB is struggling with DC and aside from Wonder Woman, DC is still seen as a bit of a joke in its current state by the GA.
    WB wants Abrams for some DC projects. My source said that this generation’s Star Wars is the MCU, and Marvel’s biggest threat is a well operational DC. They want to keep DC in the limbo that they’re in right now. Abrams jumpstarting that franchise with something like a successful, audience-pleasing Superman movie makes them nervous. Their goal is to make JJ look bad to potential investors/shareholders.
    My source mentioned this shortly after the premiere: “The TROS we saw last night was not the TROS we thought we worked on”.
    JJ was devastated and blindsided by this. He’s been feeling down over the last 6 months because of some of the ridiculous demands Disney had that changed his movie’s story. While the scenes were shot, a lot of the changes were made in post-production and the audio was rerecorded and altered. My source said they’ve never seen anything like this happen before. He’s the director and he wasn’t in the know about what they were doing behind his back.
    Apparently, JJ felt threatened over the month leading up to the premiere.
    Rian was never meant to do IX despite some rumors that he was.
    JJ was brought back by Iger, not KK. Disney insisted on more fan service, less controversy.
    JJs original agreement when he signed on was indicating he would have way more creative control than he did on TFA. It became evident this wasn’t the case only a couple of weeks into shooting when the trouble with meddling started.
    JJ wanted to do some scenes he thought were important but Disney shut it down citing budgetary reasons.
    May 2019: JJ argued that those scenes were crucial. He had to let go of one of the scenes. The other scene he insisted on was approved at first. He did reshoots and additional photography in July. The new scene was shot at BR in October.
    The “ending that will blow your mind” was a part of this. Older actors were included like Hayden, Ewan and Samuel and anyone who wasn’t animated. The force ghosts weren’t meant to be voices because they shot that footage on camera. The actors were in costumes. Rey was supposed to be surrounded by the force ghosts to serve as sort of a barrier between her and the Sith surrounding them.
    My source thinks but can’t 100% confirm that this is because of China. It’s an office talk of sorts. Some VFX people claimed they got a list of approved shades of blue they could use on the Luke force ghosts. Cutting this out was when the bad blood turned into a nightmare for JJ because the movie he was making was suddenly unrecognizable to him in almost every way.
    My source knows JJ well enough to know that he’s just not the yelling type but apparently in a meeting he yelled something along the lines of “Why don’t you just put ‘directed and written by Lucasfilm’ then?” My source wasn’t present for that exchange but knows some who were.
    Disney demanded they shoot some scenes that would have things in it for merchandise. “They fly now” is one of them. It’s also JJ’s least favorite scene. At a November screening of a 2:37 cut, he cringed, groaned and laughed when the scene was on.
    My source says that JJ was most likely not joking when he said “you’re right” in the interview where they asked him about TROS criticism.
    JJ’s original early November cut was 3 hours 2 minutes long.
    In January, JJ suggested that they turn this into two films. My source told me this well before Terrio mentioned it in an interview a couple of days ago. When Disney said no, JJ was content with making this 3 hours long.
    Over a period of 9 months JJ started realizing that one by one his ideas and whole scenes were being thrown out the window or entirely altered by people who have “no business meddling with the creatives”.
    They were not on the same page when it came to creative decisions and it became obvious that Disney had an agenda in addition to wanting to please shareholders. Disney could “afford messing up IX for the sake of the bigger picture” when it came to protecting things unrelated to IX.
    The cut JJ eventually and hesitantly agreed to in early December was 2:37 minutes long. It wasn’t the cut we saw which he wouldn’t have approved of (and which is 2:22 long). Apart from the force ghosts, there were other crucial and emotional scenes missing. The cut they released looked “chopped and taped back together with weak scotch tape” (JJ's words).
    The movie opened with Rey’s training. Her first scene with Rose was shortly after Rey damaged BB-8 during the training. Rose made a silly joke about how Poe is going to kill her for damaging BB-8. There was a moment where Rey took a minute to process what just happened when she saw that vision during training. She looked distressed and worried. The next scene was noise as the Falcon was landing and Rey runs over there. Those two women who kissed at the end were visible in this shot and they were holding hands. One of them ran towards the Falcon as it landed.
    Kylo on Mustafar scene was 2 mins longer. There was a moment where Kylo seemed a bit dizzy and his vision was shown as blurry for a second. Almost as if time half-stopped while everyone in the background was slow-mo fighting. Kylo hears Vader's breathing, then shakes his head and time goes back to moving at a normal pace and he jumps right back into the battle (the scene from the trailer where he knocks that guy down which did end up in the movie later).
    They cut some of the scenes from the lightspeed skipping segment. Some of the planets that were cut were Kashyyyk, Naboo, and Kamino.
    The scene where the tie fighters are chasing them through the iceberg - those corridors were inspired by a video game JJ used to play in the 90s called Rebel Assault 2 (the third level in the game with the tunnels on Endor specifically).
    Jannah was confirmed to be Lando’s daughter.
    Rey not only healed Kylo's face scar but she killed Kylo when she healed Ben. Kylo ceased to exist when Rey healed him. My source mentioned that some people assume it was Han Solo who healed him but that isn’t true and that wasn't Han Solo. That was Leia using her own memories as well as Ben's to create a physical manifestation of his own thoughts to nudge him towards what he needed to do. That was her own way of communicating that with him. And it wasn't possible without her dying in the process. She made the ultimate sacrifice for her son and this flew over people's heads with the Disney cut.
    The late November cut (the last cut JJ approved of) had scenes with Rose and Rey still. JJ wanted to give her a more meaningful arc. Disney felt that that was too risky too. My source mentioned that Chris Terrio said that it was because of the Leia scenes but this is only partially true because she had four other scenes including two with Rey/Daisy that Leia was not in.
    Finn wanting to tell Rey something was always meant to be force sensitivity. In the 3 hour cut, it’s explicitly stated. There was a moment when Jannah and he were running on top of that star destroyer and Finn needed to unlock or move something and he force-moved it and acted surprised when it happened. This was replaced with a CGI’d BB-8 fixing whatever he needed to fix on there.
    Babu Frik was nearly cut because some execs at Disney thought he would be the new Jar Jar. They are really surprised that people love him this much. He was JJ's idea and was created in collaboration with some artists and puppeteers. The personality was all JJ.
    There were a bunch of scenes where Rey and Kylo (separately) went through quiet moments of reflection to deal with what they were going through. On her part, her going through the realization that there's something sinister about her past. Him going through regret and remorse but trying to shut it out. My source said that the Kylo scenes were especially amazing because of Adam's performance and how he managed to portray that inner turmoil. It provided much more context and added deeper meaning to both his battle with Rey and the final redemption arc at the end. It didn't happen so suddenly and it was more structured than what we got.
    The Kylo/Rey scene where he dies was at least 4 minutes longer with more dialogue. Ben was always supposed to die. Source also added that if he wasn’t, then that might’ve been in an earlier draft which they haven’t read. The first draft they read included Lando (the first few didn’t). The Reylo kiss and Ben’s death was not part of the reshoots. It was a part of the re-editing. Even the cut that JJ thought was coming out earlier this month had a longer version of that scene than what was shown in the theatrical cut.
    JJ was against the Reylo kiss (or Reylo in general). This was Disney's attempt to please both sides of the fandom.
    JJ was not happy with where TLJ took the story. The final result is a mix of that story and the story told by Disney and whoever they tried to impress (“certainly not the fans”). JJ is gutted over the final result. Star Wars means a lot to him. He had to sacrifice large chunks of the story in TFA but he was promised more creative control on TROS and instead the leash they had him on was only tightened as time went by. A source said that this is the one franchise and the one piece of his work that he didn't want to mess up and instead it turned into his worst nightmare. When he found out that he was blindsided with the cut they presented, he said "what the fuck??" when Kylo was fighting the Knights of Ren at the end and the Williams music that was used for it was not what he wanted at all. He seemed to think it was out of place.
    JJ's cut still exists and “will always exist”. We most likely will never see it unless “someone accidentally leaks it.”
    Ok, so there you have it. If there are questions, I will try to follow up with my source but it’s up to them if they want to share more so I cannot guarantee an answer.
    Edit: I forgot one thing that the source wanted included, concerning FinnPoe in TROS:
    The source asked about FinnPoe after seeing Oscar Isaac's comment about how Disney didn't want it to be a thing. This is true. JJ fought to make this happen. This is why Oscar is blaming Disney. It's not just a random throwaway comment. He knows for a fact that it was Disney because these discussions happened. The main cast is insanely close with JJ and are just as pissed, though seemingly more outspoken about it than JJ. During TFA, Disney was hesitant to hire John Boyega because a woman was front and center so they deemed that risky enough so bringing in a male lead who's black made them nervous. JJ fought to make that happen for about nine months before getting approval. The same issue came up when JJ fought to have Finn&Poe in TROS but he lost that battle as he lost many creative battles for this film. Many people, JJ included, came to the realization during this production that the story really is told by shareholders/investors instead of the creatives or anyone at Disney specifically. He tried to make a lot of things happen and was shut down because of this. They had him on a leash and many blame TLJ for the stricter creative approach.

Anyone who tells a story from an "unnamed" source just isn't too be believed....never.

#4405 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Where do you even find a copy of the despecialized edition without going through downloading torrents and all that horseshit?

They were sold for awhle on ebay - I picked up a bunch of them. They even have the wires visiable on some of the droids in Ep4.

#4414 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I'd wager.. not going to happen.
    Iger and KK have a ideology they are pushing and they are not going to change course by putting out another version. They have already angered a lot of fans of TLJ who praised the movie for "its wokeness" and are pissed that it was walked back even a little in TROS.
    If they were interested in making heaps of cash it would be a different story. How hard would it have been to give fans what they wanted? At a minimum show Luke Skywalker doing badass Jedi stuff after Return of the Jedi.
    Nope, you get grumpy, loser Luke and Mary-Sue Rey and you will like it. So don't hold your breath for a directors cut.

In their defense, if they wouldn't have pushed some of the agenda items they did, there likely would have been a huge backlash from a minority, but very powerful special interest groups. They kind of were in between a rock and a hard place, especially with a product that is so grand in scope.

#4441 4 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Yep, bad story line, plot holes, bad acting, bad lines, it was what it was. Why is there a pit in every movie that someone falls into. Why does every deathstar have a hidden weakness? Why did the fleet of ships in ROS have a hidden weakness? I liked them because I like Sci Fi and fantacy but they were still bad. I personally wish there were more Chris Pine Star Trek movies. They were much better in my opinion.

Hate to tell you, but you probably don't want to go back and watch any of the old serials that Star Wars is based off of then.

#4450 4 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I guess I didn't explain it correctly. I love science fiction and fantasy movies but many of them are poorly written and cornball as hell. The Star Trek movies were mostly terrible but I still enjoyed watching them. Have you ever seen the Eregon movie? Terribly written and it did a huge injustice to the books but I still watched it. The original Star Wars, if Im not mistaken was a low budget film that was never expected to take off like it did. I loved it as a kid and I still watch it now and enjoy it but now I see its flaws. I just enjoy them for what they are. Does that make more sense. I tend to step on myself when explaining things and I come off as a very negative person. Oh, does anyone wish they hadn't killed off Kylo at the end of ROS?

The original film was a milestone in 1977. If you think it has flaws, you probably shouldn't watch any sci fi movie before 1977.

#4457 4 years ago
    Quoted from racer_x:

The original Star Wars is a masterpiece of lean, efficient story telling. There's not an ounce of fat on that movie.

I always loved how it threw you right into the action. Space battle, forced boarding, shooting, escape - I mean right from the get go it puts you halfway into the story, again - this is how the old serials worked as well.

#4471 4 years ago

While searching something to listen to yesterday, I pulled up the original NPR audio version of Star Wars. This was done right after the movie came out, and I forgot how good it was. It has over 2 hours of scenes not in the movie, especially some of the material at the beginging of the movie that George cut out.

But as I listened to it, I realize how different the new movies are from the original films. The plot, character expositions, risk and reward decisions, just the overall flow and structure of his original scripts is light years (sorry for the bad pun), from the situational CGI scenes of today.

I don't think I can ever watch any of the new films anymore, they just aren't the same thing. The originals were a product of the 30's, these new films are a product of culture 90 years later.

And by the way Rouge One totally doesn't align to the original drafts at all.

#4484 4 years ago

Imagine trying to develop a character for the sake of the story or the movie, but having to make fundamental decisions of male/female/lgbtq/race/religion...........and all while trying to be the "least" offensive to the common denominator so you can make the most $$.

That's the way that most films are made nowadays.

#4490 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think the first part about the motivations of Lucas, Kasdan and Kershner is up for grabs (Making a well crafted movie and getting rich would have been my take) but the ones by Igar and Kennedy are proven by their statements in public.
    Food for thought.

I think it's as easy as Lucas etc only wanted the youth to share the joy they had watching the serials, and listening to like-wise radio shows like I Love a Mystery. Adventure escapism/entertainment at it's core.

This new breed is about $/EPS/ROI and political ideology only.

It's as simple as that.

#4502 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Were of the same mind; The first two were great, the third.. eh. Lucas figured out where the money was (toys) and was chasing those bucks with a vengeance. Han really does nothing in the movie, his arc was done in the first act if not the prior movie and is just along for the ride.
    Another Deathstar? Is this a thing? Well at least they won't do that again.
    woops.

Can't agree with that ROTJ is just as good as the others. Great initial opening, great finale, all loose ends tied up, it's actually the most emotionally powered of the original three films.

#4507 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I thought the second was the best emotionally- Leia professes her love to Han, Han gets turned into an ice block, Luke loses his hand to Vader who proclaims he is his dad. Lots going on there.

All good points, and it’s the best of all the three in terms of directing, but the story lacks. They escape, are safe, get captured, then escape again. Typical serial plot!

But Luke’s fulfilling his destiny, refusing to turn as father did, and his father turning to save his life, well it rocks.

One of the things missing in the newer films is the political background. There is absolutely nothing provided, and that has weakened these films.

1 week later
    #4559 4 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I agree. I finally finished it out last night. I'll say that the last episode was probably the best of all of them. The banter between the scout troopers had me laughing. I purposely avoided any information about who Mando was played by, and I was surprised when it was finally revealed.
    The whole show felt disjointed. The episodes never felt cohesive. It felt like a 90s scifi or fantasy show because of that, and I really didn't care for it. I actually watched everything twice... once with just my wife, and then our whole family. The kids loved it, but there were certain episodes I dreaded watching... the one in the village, and the prisoner heist, especially. They were painful to sit through a second time, and I actually fell asleep (I never do that).
    All in all, enough eye candy and some decent characters to carry the first season of the show. I look forward to the next season, but not in the same way I did for GOT or I do for Westworld.
    Oh, and I didn't even realize that one guy was an Ugnaught until they announced it in the last episode. That was sort of a cool realization.

I agree with this. Does it really warrant repeated viewings? Or a special edition? No. The only reason it was well received was due to the bar was set so low.

Someone above referenced Firefly, and that series was well scripted and acted. It had characters with depth that were not comic book types. They developed as their own, not what fandom wanted.

These are corporate vehicles designed to make money, sell toys, sell t shirts, and build theme parks around. They are run by a committee, not one single person’s vision. There is no captain at the wheel here, just a bunch of power play execs.

#4561 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Mando (imo) is very basic, only noteworthy or talked about because it’s in the Star Wars universe. Maybe in time it’ll get better but I’m not impressed.
    However if you want to talk about money or eyeballs it’s probably doing very well.
    I’m currently at Hollywood Studios waiting for the Rise of the Resistance ride. The park is packed. You have to be inside the park by 7am to register for a boarding group which are completely assigned out by 7:30 now you may need to wait 12 hours to get on the ride. If you aren’t physically in the park by 7:20 you won’t get a boarding assignment. It must be a gold mine for Disney. $4.50 for a souvenir coke or sprite grenade, blue milk drink, droid build store packed. Star Wars area is packed with at least half of the people wearing Star Wars shirts or sweatshirts old ladies and young kiddies alike.
    I’ll report back after the ride to give my opinion....
    Long wait but the SW ride is one of the best of all time up the HP Gringots and Avatar Flights ride.

I’m at WDW now, and ride Rise two days ago. They spent a ton of money on it, but when I asked my kids If they liked it, they were like Eh...

It isn’t that great, although to Star Wars fans who are rapid, they might like it. I think it suffers from the poor trilogy characters and story. If it was based on the OT, it might have been better.

#4563 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I give the Mandalorian a little slack as it is "just" a TV show so keeping up a consistent flow of good shows can be difficult. On the whole been decent entertainment for the format.

My guess is that Disney is going to do more tv serials and avoid any more films for now. Less risk and brand backlash.

#4572 4 years ago

Is there anything in cannon that for sure identifies Kenobi never leaves Tatooine? The worst thing they could do at this point would be to somehow throw a young Luke into the mix on this. People want Kenobi developed. Have him taken off Tatooine for whatever reason. By Kenobi's design, against his will, whatever. Make it NOTHING to do with the Skywalker saga. Hell tie it to deep space and Ezra story line .........anything but staying in the ruts of the story we know. What's the point if you do - we already know the outcome. Makes for pretty anticlimactic story telling.

All indications are he never left the planet, and hadn't used any "credits" in years. He lived the life of a hermit.

But I'm sure he'll be riding the galaxy in adventure after adventure soon. What else can Disney ruin?

#4576 4 years ago

There are literally 40 years of novels and comic adaptions to pull from. They shot themselves in the foot de-canonizing a bunch of stuff. Don’t really know why either. Probably had something to do with $$

Intellectual properties and royalties.

#4600 4 years ago

Was that a Lucas project?

#4609 4 years ago

I just watched Revenge of the Sith on Disney+. I only saw it once when it came out.

What a pile of dung. Guess we have to be a bit more kind with these new piles of dung, they had some help along the way.

#4613 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Ah c'mon. Other than Empire, these are weighty dramas. At best, they move forward balancing action, and light drama/character development.
    At worst, they're an editing and structural nightmare like these last three movies.
    The prequels were incredibly coherent, hate them or not. And the characters had drive and a reason to exist.

Funny you mention Empire, I'm watching that now.

The prequels and newever films make Empire look like Citizen Kane.

#4614 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

The midichlorians were none too coherent, doesn’t it seem curios that Obi Wan and Yoda never mentioned them to Luke? It’s almost as if Lucas decided to clumsily retcon the entire basis for his universe in midstream.
    And as far as drive and reason to exist, are you telling us you bought Anakin’s heel turn? I found it ... unconvincing.

"I Hate You"

"NNNOOOOOOOOO"

Barf.

#4617 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

It is what it is. Far more convincing than Han being on a leash for two movies. And even Luke, why did he even bond to Han and Leia? Lando makes the big flip, why...guilt?

Lucas' dialog is basic and contrived for every film. As if "I love you. I know." is Shakespearean.
    Lest we forget pig nosed Luke whining and saying "It's impossible!!!!" Vader is so stark and badass in that scene, whereas Luke isn't really even likable, frankly.

Empire is a solid film, but on it's own, it's bizarre. The original trilogy is shit for tonal coherence. They feel entirely like they were crafted by three different directors...because they were. Hate them or love them, the prequels at least feel structurally similar and familiar.
    Meanwhile, Lucas and his films, and Spielberg, helped shovel dirt on arguably the greatest action flick director of their era. Far, far more imaginative, skilled, and consistent.
    78-88' is absolutely the most amazing run by any modern director. Pity that Carpenter wasn't as widely worshipped as those two.[quoted image]

I love Carpenter as much as anybody, but you've got it all wrong.

Did you go to movies during the 80's when it was all happening?

#4638 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Brackett's treatment, delivered on February 21, 1978, is similar to the final film, but Anakin Skywalker appears as a ghost to instruct Luke, and Vader is a separate character.[38][page needed] Lucas was disappointed with Brackett's draft, but before he could discuss it with her, learned that she was in the hospital; she died of cancer in mid-March.[39] With no writer available, Lucas had to write the next draft himself. It was this draft in which Lucas first made use of the "Episode" numbering for the films; The Empire Strikes Back became Episode II.[40] His disappointment with the first draft probably made Lucas consider different directions in which to take the story.[41] He made use of a new plot twist: Darth Vader claims to be Luke's father. According to Lucas, he found this draft enjoyable to write, as opposed to the yearlong struggles writing the first film, and quickly wrote two more drafts,[42] all in April 1978.[43]
    This plot twist of Vader being Luke's father had drastic effects on the series, including the audience's interpretation of the original film.[44] Lucas outlined a new backstory: Anakin Skywalker had been Ben Kenobi's brilliant student, and had a child named Luke, but was swayed to the dark side by the Emperor (who was really a Sith Lord). Anakin battled Kenobi on the site of a volcano and was horribly wounded, but was resurrected as Darth Vader. Meanwhile, Kenobi hid Luke on Tatooine while the Republic became the Empire and Vader systematically hunted down the Jedi.[45]
    With this new backstory in place, Lucas decided that The Empire Strikes Back would be the second film of two trilogies, designating it Episode V by the fifth draft.[42][46] Lawrence Kasdan had just completed writing Raiders of the Lost Ark,[47] and Lucas hired him to write the next drafts with input from director Irvin Kershner. Kasdan, Kershner, and producer Gary Kurtz saw the film as a more serious and adult film, helped by the new, darker storyline, and developed the series from the light adventure roots of the first film.[48]
    Crazy that there were FIVE drafts. It's amazing they got something so well done, from so many hands in the kitchen.
    Ultimately so many people contributed. It's not like any director is the sole contributor for any film. Citizen Kane had such a battle between Mankiewicz and Welles.

Honestly, that's isn't too bad for rewrites. You think five drafts is too many?

You get props for the Welles reference.

#4640 4 years ago

Can't believe people read this crap.

2 months later
    #4714 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Blade Runner had a high bar for a sequel to clear, 2049 did ok. Not perfect, but ok.

Agreed, it was ok, but doesn't have the "watch me again" that the original has.

1 week later
    #4729 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

This is a shame to hear. I was debating watching Picard but I've heard from several people that it was just terrible. It's the trend now. It makes me sick to think what ridiculous script they are going to do with Indiana Jones 5.

It wasn't terrible, it just isn't like TNG. The whole serial thing never worked well for ST. Unfortunately, stand alone/anthology shows aren't really in (except Black Mirror).

#4731 4 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

With that said it's not as bad as Discovery...SJW in this show eclipsed TLJ....the captain is an Asian woman, the main protagonist is an African-American woman, raised by Vulcans....which Vulcans you ask? Well, you guessed it of all the Vulcan families they chose Spock's family. Hold on it gets better. The Klingon warrior on par with Kahless is a Klingon woman of low birth that becomes...you gueseed it The Klingon emperor. . Had enough yet? How about a Gay engineer and his African American husband!? Wow, my head is hurting already but wait there is more...how about a mirror universe with a woman as the emperor of the galaxy, and as if that wasn't enough how about a bubbly fat redhead that always looks on bright side of spatial intrigue.....that along with a spore drive (Quantum Mechanics re written by a bay area hipster) thats basically a transporter for a whole ship etc...etc..GTFOH! Jackasses!

Sounds like cutting edge material right there.

#4738 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

My biggest problem with Picard is that it wasn't about Picard. The character Stewart was playing was about as far from Picard as you could've gotten.
    TNG was well thought out Sci fi. This show was mindless schlock.

That is just how it is today. A show like TNG could never work today. I think TNG is one of the best Sci-Fi Tv shows of all time(less TZ & OL from the 60's).

It will never be replicated. Even Deep Space 9 started to go into this direction, thankfully Voyager remained somewhat in the old mold.

#4741 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

The TNG movies also took it on that downward spiral.

That they did. The only TNG move that I ever halfway liked was Generations. The rest didn't have any quality of the series. I do believe that the TNG series retained it's quality all the way to the end.

Wow - just look at WiKI and never realized that Voyager and DS9 had just as many seasons as TNG.

#4753 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I agree that the R2 plot hole pales in comparison to some others raised by the prequels (midichlorians, for instance, which have conveniently been forgotten in the OT). May be nitpicking, but I’m not sure Rey as Palpatine’s granddaughter is a “plot hole” so much as a clumsily executed plot twist (no reason he couldn’t have had children at some point unless the Dark Side makes you impotent, and it’s at least better explained than how the hell he’s still “alive” in TROS, which they barely bother to address).

I have an easier solution. Just watch the OT only and forget that anything else was ever put to film.

1 month later
    #4770 3 years ago

Who cares anymore.

#4778 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Time will tell.
    All movie franchises crash and burn sooner or later, Star Wars will be no exception. And Disney is not turning out quality work.
    Solo was actually a palatable movie compared to The Last Jedi. They crapped all over Skywalker.
    Disney streaming is projected to lose 3.9 billion this year, sounds like an awesome business model.

The brand is being kept alive by Gen X's, but are they're kids going to be able to take it forward in 2 decades?

I don't think so. Lucas was wise to cash out when he could.

#4780 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

George Lucas was wise to cash out because by the look of him he won't be around that long! Can't take it with you, and he can comfortable spend $200m a year for the next two decades while continuing to give salty interviews about how he would have handled things if he was still running the ship.

Lucas was salty in interviews in 1977. No change there.

1 month later
    #4836 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Lucas cut Horseshit.

Agreed. There is NO way that happened, and if people believe it, they are fools.

On another note, Disney is hurting BIG time. The financial giant is weakened on so many fronts.

#4842 3 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Exactly....key word "At the moment"...resorts, hotels, cruises are dragging on the company. Also revolving credit, or agreement is the ability to borrow at anytime. They may or may not use it all.

Read the WSJ article from a few days ago. It hasn't been looking good for them since this all started, and the very reliable rumors of turmoil with the leadership of the company is something they have not experienced for some time.

They are hurting and are weak. If things don't turn around soon for them, they might be a target for a takeover or may need to sell off some divisions/assets.

3 weeks later
    #4860 3 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

I wish I could he excited about this, but Rogue One is another Star Wars movie I'd be fine with not existing, yet alone further adventures of dull dude and awkward yet quirky robot.

It only gets respect because everything else Star Wars sucks.

2 weeks later
    #4955 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Please; aging 40 year olds have far more disposable income than under 40.
    Companies are still beating the Boomer market for dear life (BEATLES), they are just starting to tap Gen X.

That market has peaked, and is on the way down (dying).

#4959 3 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Hmm, interesting read, I didn't know Spielberg had dropped Indiana Jones-5 and took the writer with him....wow! There has to be some bad blood going on. My guess is that Spielberg being best buddies with Lucas dropped the film to please him. I'm guessing the relationship/friendship between Lucas and Kennedy is now over.
    https://www.piratesandprincesses.net/indiana-jones-and-kathleen-kennedys-continued-chaos/

That isn't surprising. George and Steven are tight, and while George would be hard to please with any SW plot after his exit, the way they shit on it made it as worse as it could ever be.

#4963 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

A lot of it is the writing style of that particular article. It's like a novelization, the author takes real people (Lucas, Kennedy, Spielberg), and then imagines their inner thoughts and emotional responses to real life occurrences (some of which may or may not have occurred as written). Plus some of the author's own editorializing on the various creative decisions that were made. It may be entertaining, but it doesn't feel much like "news."

It's hard to know. They may have leaks that they can't report on, however with the current state of the media, who's to say what is truth and what isn't.

#4966 3 years ago

An hour and a half?!?!?!?

#4976 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

You never seen a plinkett review?

I have. They are great, but that is an investment.

#4977 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

White actors have been playing bad guys and stooges in movies and TV since they started making ‘em, they just don’t have a monopoly on the leading man roles anymore.

It's been that way since the Brits have been portrayed always as the baddies for the last few decades. More PC bullshit.

#4981 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I don't know, Brits make pretty good baddies. Alan Rickman in Die Hard, hard to beat.

That's funny, he's the one where I realized the culture typecasting was in full force.

2 months later
    #5075 3 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

By far S2E6 is the best episode of the entire series so far. I can't really express the unexpected joy I felt seeing the Slave 1 appear out of nowhere. I was NOT expecting that & it was thrilling to see. I actually felt that the "Boba" tease in S2S1 was all we were going to get..... now just a hermit living on Tatooine. Boy I'm glad I was wrong.
    The Slave 1 is probably the most iconic solo flying ship in science fiction. Can't wait to see more of it.
    I was also happy last year when I heard Robert Rodrigez would be directing an episode this season, and he really came though on the action in this one. Boba was justified as the badass we all knew he was. Cracking skulls with his staff, deadeye aim, double blaster bolt gauntlets, knee missles, jetpack rockets, big explosions! It was a dream come true for me, especially when I wasn't expecting it at all.
    And believe me, SW cosplayers everywhere are THRILLED Boba has put on a few pounds in his old age. Now overweight fans won't feel so self-conscious about building an updated Boba suit.
    Plus seeing those robot Dark Troopers was amazing. They are like an evil Iron Man for the SW universe. And Gideon has at least 20 of them. And probably an over sized wearable exo-suit version for himself. Something like the Hulkbuster IM armor. Combined with the dark saber, he's turned into quite the imperial badass.
    So much fan service, combined with a great story & interesting characters. That's all anyone really asked for in the first place. Bring on the Grand Moff Tarkin reveal!

Agree on Slave 1. Best ship designed in the OT and was cool as hell to see if flying agian.

Not liking what they did to BF. "I have a debt to pay"....

Really? Now he's just another judo master who is hanging on to the good guys. That isn't his character and he used a blaster, never kicks and a sword. Why would he change? Would have better to keep him in the shadows and tease his charter a bit. Now all of the mystery and aura about his charter are gone. They blew their wad.

#5083 3 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

It’s pretty clearly established in the first episodes that Bounty Hunters in the guild live by their guild code. Not far fetched IMO that Boba now has a debt to pay off in exchange for the return of his armor. Man of his word....another quality passed down from his father Jango.

I get the feeling since Boba is much smarter than the other BHs, that he isn't part of any "guild code". He does things his way. Why would hang out with Jabba after delivering Solo?

1 week later
    #5089 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

When they did the "ET phone home" episode I told the Mrs. that <character> would be the logical choice to show up. Frankly I didn't think they would go through with it but once the single ship flew into view... Nicely done. Nice setup for next season.

I didn't know but called it when I saw the ship.

If the special someone ran into the other character re-introduced, don't you think he would have cut his head off?

1 month later
    #5147 3 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Understatement of the year. Getting absolutely destroyed in reviews & on social media. But more importantly, getting a very strong dislike by women viewers as well. Once again, DC drops the ball & ruins another slam dunk property.
    I really wish it would have gotten a regular non-covid box office release, because it might have been one of the largest big-budget bombs in history. The streaming release hides what a failure the movie truly would have been. I also heard WB had to pay the director & actors like this film grossed over $1B, just to get them to agree to a streaming release. If that's WB's business model for the rest of their controversial 2021 streaming plan, then they are taking a big financial risk.
    There were so many problems with WW84, but the one that jumped out clearly was that practically ever guy in the movie (except her Ken doll boyfriend) was depicted as jerks, womanizers, bozos, pigs, liars, creeps, rapists, etc etc etc. Just ridiculous. I was also laughing that the mall arcade in ths beginning of the movie featured a cab of Operation Wolf which came out in 1987, even though this movie takes place in 1984......a troubling zero-attention-to-detail sign of things to come. I'd say the opening of the movie had potential, and set the stage for a "cheaters never win" story line, then shifted into some never follow your dreams/wishes cluster-F. All the movie was missing was a CGI Richard Pryor building an evil supercomputer.
    With the pushed agendas in WW, I clearly see why Kathleen Kennedy hired WW director Patti Jenkins to direct the next Star Wars theatrical release Rogue Squadron. Now my expectations for that project have dropped to absolute zero. Guessing all the women will be cast as Rebel pilots & the males will be cast as Gammorean guards.

Finally saw this yesterday, and maybe my exceptions were really low from what you guys posted...but I didn't mind it at all. The movie actually had some emotional depth to it, which is very rare in these fantasy/comic book movies. If anything, WW84 kind of channeled the golden age character and there were a few "moves" lifted right out of Sensation Comics, that surprised the hell out of me. I didn't see much SJW shit at all, if any. Yes, the end was a bit muddy (reminded me of a typical Doctor Who ending), but all in all, I thought it was the best Snyder movie of them all.

#5157 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

It is kind of puzzling. I think people confuse their right to freedom of speech without government interference or sanction with a right to say whatever they want without any consequences. Two very different things.

Funny how that seems to be the norm nowadays. I'll have to use that next time I hear someone moaning about the Blacklist in Hollywood during the 50's.

3 months later
    #5246 2 years ago

They all sucks ass.

2 weeks later
    #5260 2 years ago

Why would George even think of it? Isn't he 70+? Just enjoy retirement and let the Wok crowd do as they seem fit.

Quoted from fosaisu:

Debatable! And not because I think 7-9 are masterpieces.... But my theory is that people who make this kind of statement usually haven't watched the prequels in a while. I viewed them with my kids recently and they're just as shitty as I'd remembered!

First one wasn't too bad.

3 weeks later
    #5292 2 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Ah yes. Of course this was going to happen. Looking forward to the day Disney recons the movies & refers to Master Yoda as Controller Yoda.
    Disney can do what they want, but Boba's ship will always be Slave I to me. Best starship design in the history of Science Fiction IMO. I'd love to fly it. Haha
    [quoted image]

What a fucking idiotic move. Bradbury was right.

1 year later
    #5512 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

So, kinda related...
    I watched the first episode of Picard season 3. Because I apparently hate myself. I swore I wasn't going to watch it, after the chalky, dried dog shit that was the first 2 seasons. But, after reports of the show being handed over to a showrunner that actually likes star trek and glowing reviews from sources who's word I trust, I decided to try it.
    And...i liked it. I'd actually go so far as to say it was good. And not just good by comparison to the previous seasons, but actually good good. I felt like I was watching real star trek again. Picard acted like the Picard from TNG, not some whimsical old man. The characters made real decisions based on common sense and logic, not just to blindly move the clunky plot along. Hell, they even got the music right.
    I feel like I need a shower after saying this, but I actually want to watch more.

I gave up after season 1. We only have so many breaths/heartbeats left. If you want to spend some on this shit - go for it.

#5514 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Gonna be a proper send off for Next Generation.

That is what I and many others were hoping for in Season 1. I admit - I haven't watches season 2 even though Q was my favorite character. Guessing I didn't miss much?

#5516 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Season 2 was so fucking wrong on Every level...how can you screw up with Q?!?
    No need to rush...let's wait a bit. There was no possible way i was going to watch season 3 roll i saw the trailer; no they got me.

That is freaking too bad to hear. Every ep with Q in TNG was awesome.

#5528 1 year ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

All modern movies are trash. Go back and watch the classics with proper stars like Jimmy Stewart, Charles Bronson, Gregory Peck, Kirk Douglas etc., etc.

All greats, especially Stewart. You forgot a few, but not everything new released is trash...but the vast majority isn't great.

You don't even have to go back that far, even films up to the 90's like The Matrix, Dark City, Gattaca, and others were far better than than the shit done nowadays.

#5529 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

True cinema died with the talkies in 1927. None of that stuff can compete with Nosferatu, Metropolis, City Lights, or Safety Last.

You forgot London after Midnight.

And of those you mentioned - yes are masterpieces.

#5532 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

There's some good new stuff for sure, but they are few & far between. Some stuff starts off really promising & gets bad really fast. The streaming services have diluted the overall quality of programming & films now. Large amounts of content, lots of it forgettable or repetitive.
    It used to be the cable companies would rake you for big fees for channel packages you never watch. Then people cut the cord & moved to streaming because it was cheaper. And with all the services that are out there now that people are paying for, I swear your TV bill has to be more now than it ever was with cable. Netflix, Prime, HBOMax, Hulu, ESPN+, Disney+, Paramount+, Peacock, on & on. IDK how anyone can afford (or has time) to sit there & watch all this crap. They get hooked on the convenience of watching anything on demand
    I've cancelled most of them. I just find myself collecting old films & series now. Hammer Horror films, 50s Sci-Fi classics, Ray Harryhausen stop-motion, practically anything from the 80s, or old TV series like Star Trek/Twilight Zone/Outer Limits/Quantum Leap. The stuff nobody can make anymore. Just give me the classics because they never get old. I was born in the 70s but I'm amazed at how much 20th Century film/TV I've missed out on. Better late than never in my book. The rubes can watch all the streaming fodder.

Same here. I'm watching The Jazz Singer (80) tonight and watched Murder on the Orient Express last night. Some Kurosawa tomorrow and probably The Thing (51) on Sun.

Plenty to keep me occupied. We had Disney+ and most of the new material is shit.

1 month later
    #5599 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sandman33:

They made Luke a giant loser depressed douchebag and make ghost Yoda give up on the Jedi alltogether and try to destroy their texts??? Best thing to happen would be a supernova that wipes out all of them. End film/series/franchise/Disney.

That was part of the agenda.

#5619 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

He turned it around in TFA,

No he didn't. That sucked too. You have all three of the original actors back and you still fuck it up?

Plus it's a rehash of the 1st movie. Let's face it - the only good Star Wars were the first three films. Those were magic because you made them at the time they made them and with the actors they had (bunch of old Hammer Studio actors).

Everything else is shit. Some is more stinky shit than others but all shit.

#5648 1 year ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

The prequels have great moments but never quite put a whole movie together. Great moments include duel of the fates, obi wan vs fett, the beginning scene of episode three, the end of three, etc.
    They had redeemable parts to them. The sequels have no redeemable parts.

The first film gets close.

1 week later
    #5707 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

If you have not seen it, I felt that Rogue One was spiritually the closest to the original series if you have not watched it yet... especially the third act.

That sucked too. Have no idea why people think it's good....bunch of shit.

#5713 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Even the "so totally awesome" Darth Vader scene at the end was dumb.

That was the dumbest fucking thing ever.

Only saving grace was seeing Peter Cushing on screen for the first time in 40 years....great actor.

Closest things to the originals was Ep 1 - started very well and the saber fights were great on every level but it Lucas did it in with his need to tinker and it got worse with 2 and 3.

#5714 1 year ago

And Rouge One is by far the best looking of the Post Disney purchase of Lucasfilm
    Better cinematography, and better effects, excluding the cringe worthy Tarkin and Leia CGI.

It did have nice cinematography in the beginning - I'll give it that.

#5716 1 year ago

The beginning?
    How about the battle at the end of the movie on Planet Scarif? Way better than the beginning of the movie. And lots of other parts looked good as well. Plus the battle going on above Scarif looked more like the visual effects from the original trilogy than either the prequel trilogy, Solo or the third trilogy.

CGI does nothing for me but YMMV. I'd rather see matte paintings.

#5721 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Except he wasn't doing Vader things. Vader things would've been to stay back calling the shots, while the expendable troopers go in and do the grunt work.

Which is what happened only hours after that scene. LOL!

Lazy shit.

2 months later
    #5734 9 months ago

Disney’s problems are much deeper than Kathleen Kennedy.

1 week later
    #5742 9 months ago

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/13/disney-cuts-back-on-marvel-star-wars-content.html
    Disney pulling back on making Marvel, Star Wars content, Iger says
    Published Thu, Jul 13 2023 - 9:17 AM EDT
    Lillian Rizzo@Lilliannnn

Key Points
    Disney CEO Bob Iger said there will be a pullback in content spending and creation for the Star Wars and Marvel franchises.
    Earlier this year Disney said it would slash $5.5 billion in costs, including $3 billion in non-sports content costs.
    Iger said the explosion in Marvel TV shows in recent years “diluted focus and attention” for the brand.

#5744 9 months ago

This is nothing more than moving to the next tit on the cow because the old one dried up. Disney isn't creative anymore, just compliant in their content.

1 week later
    #5748 9 months ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I just hate the fatigue excuse. The fans are loyal & always eager for new content. But they aren't stupid either, and they reject content that's unfaithful to the franchise, or fails to meets their expectations. Pushing various agendas to subvert fan expectations is something that Disney REALLY enjoy to doing these days, and it's coming back to bite them in force this year.

Totally. But Iger has the power to squash that shit -but seems beholden to it. The Snow White film will bomb and has been getting negative press for a year and it's only getting worse. If they are stupid enough to think their changes to The Little Mermaid didn't go noticed, they are fools.

Reportedly Iger has been shopping ABC and ESPN around. And he's been telling close friends he is just tired. These are some dark days for the company. They sell off their largest assets and if they don't go back to entertainment and "storytelling" (as they always babble), they will get torn apart like almost happened in 1983. It's probably time anyway.

#5752 9 months ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Iger IS the problem, he is 100% behind the woke agenda that is destroying Disney and has stated they are staying the course in a stockholders meeting. He instigated the coup against "Bob the account" when he was ready to start chopping out the woke brigade embedded in Disney culture that BOB IGER put in place.
    Let Disney die.

I have to agree. Ron had creative talent, just not CEO experience. Eisner had creative talent. Iger is just an ABC Executive who only can purchase assets, he can't create them it and he is fostering the bullshit that is going on now. They won't steer away from it - they are entrenched within leadership now. WSJ reporting Disney is currently limiting the power of it's DEI, but I think it is too late.

Sell off the assets and hopefully someone with sanity can purchase the parks and keep some of Walt's dream alive of a place where parents and their children can have a good time together. The current state of the parks between the cost and who they cater too is beyond that ideal.

#5753 9 months ago
    Quoted from trecemaneras:

I haven’t seen the new little mermaid yet. What did they change?

As it's a spoiler, I'll just link to the wiki on - but specially the ending is what they changed - and we all know why.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Mermaid_(2023_film)

#5755 9 months ago

Meanwhile, I don’t see the point of remakes at all.

$ and laziness.

Eisner did the same thing back in the day with Cinderella 2, 3, Bambi 2, 3, ...etc. And then too it was met with resistance.

#5759 9 months ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

All of Disney’s live-action remakes have been pointless crap. Which makes it funny that people get upset about them. There’s no world in which they’re going to be entertaining viewing so who cares?

There is more to it than just that, but I'll just leave that as it is for now.

Disney artistically has been stalled for decades. The one that really hurts is Pixar, and what they have done to that company is criminal. Once Bird was sidelined and they removed Lasseter, the work out of that studio is shit as they got entrenched in Pixar first, using the bull shit they trumped up on Lasseter.

Here is all you need to know...

"Upon criticism that The Incredibles exhibited a right-wing bias, Bird demurred, noting, "I'm definitely a centrist and feel like both parties can be absurd."[ Patrizio, Andy (March 9, 2005). "An Interview with Brad Bird". IGN. Archived from the original on January 20, 2013. Retrieved February 4, 2022.]

The level of hate is strong.

#5765 9 months ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

that's crazy talk. all they care about is money.

That isn’t true. Film is run for propaganda purposes... always has been, always will. The only ones who do care about profit are those that keep margins low and make sure they never lose a dime, like the old AIP pictures, Roger Corman, and those types. Sure they want to make money, but I don’t believe it’s the primary goal of any of them.

If they really cared about money, they would be scrambling to pick up distribution for Sound Of Freedom.

#5767 9 months ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

So Skywalker was relegated to a cameo at the end of the movie.

That was all by plan.

#5771 9 months ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Too late....the damage is done, and she made a boatload of money during all of that time. Iger looked like a corp wunderkind when he bought Pixar, Marvel, SW, Avatar, Indiana Jones, Aliens and ESPN. How they managed to fuck it all up is just amazing.

Especially Pixar. They were a creative juggernaut before bought by Disney, which was one of the major reasons that Eisner lost control.

Indy 5 has earned domestically 159k compared to Sound of Freedom's 130k. Let that sink in. How much marketing did Indy 5 have?

Puss in Boots 3 did 186k. LoL!

#5776 9 months ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

The woke brigade drove off all the talent most of all John Lasseter whom in 2019 went to work for Skydance.
    Pixar is dead man walking the only thing of value there now is some software, expect the studio to be sold off or just closed outright. They have animators in Florida and Pixar is now a liability who produces nothing but corporate trouble and bombs.

I think Brad is there now too (at skydance), so hoping they can rebound and bring the magic back.

One of the executives from Pixar spoke at my son's college a few years ago- and after he gave me a summary of the speech, I knew they were done.

1 week later
    #5783 8 months ago

I have TNG on regular disc and it is fine for me. I will never watch anything post - but if you do enjoy them, seems like a good deal.

2 weeks later
    #5788 8 months ago

Just watched Guardians 3 last night...

It was ok. Way to long and just felt odd. Parts 1 and 2 were far superior....some funny bits but lots of unnecessary story arcs that went nowhere.

#5797 8 months ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

I actually thought 3 was better than 2. GOTG is far superior to anything that's been put out recently. Sad when the zany GOTG characters are the grounded characters in the new phase.

I though 2 was better than 3 but what impacted me the most I think was the lack of the original team in part 3.

Having said that - nothing beats the first one. Best Marvel movie by far.

#5803 8 months ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I though 2 was better than 3 but what impacted me the most I think was the lack of the original team in part 3.
    Having said that - nothing beats the first one. Best Marvel movie by far.

I must say the series ended very well, those were all good scenes.

#5821 8 months ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I’ve heard people debate Alien v. Aliens and Terminator v T2, but placing Predator 2 ahead of the original is a new one on me.

It's not even an issue to discuss. It's like saying Battle Beyond the Stars is better than Star Wars (77).

#5825 8 months ago

Upvoted for the reference alone! I didn’t know anyone else remembered that movie, aka Seven Samurai in Space (only it’s bad now)

I actually like the movie. Saw it in the theater and still watch it, but I"m a bit of a Corman fan. Great cast and pretty good effects.

But it ain't Star Wars!

#5834 7 months ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

at the end of the day, bad star wars is still better than no star wars.

I disagree 100%.

2 weeks later
    #5861 7 months ago

There was no purpose of the last episode, same as all the other star wars crap of late.

The short propaganda piece called Master and Apprentice on Disney+ has about 1 min of original footage with Hamil, Prose, and Guinness and man - have we lost gravitas in our characters.

#5864 7 months ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

Ahsoka acting/writing is worse than a low budget porn movie. Disney truly has flushed Star Wars down the toilet.

Each of these episodes consist of the characters standing around, pontificating over something or each other. Then a light saber battle, then more self absorption/pontificating about purpose and people. Then more light saber conflict.

Disappointing.

#5870 7 months ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

There are two macro narrative problems with Star Wars. When every second of backstory is written, then the result is a demystification of the overall narrative universe. This is the problem with backstories after the fact. Example, no one really cares how Boba Fett got out of the pit. We all have our own imaginations or theories. These imaginations are way better than the actual backstory as seen in an episode. So naturally, we are let down.
    Second problem is the demystification of the future narrative. Ahsoka is cool but there are NO stakes, whatsoever. The threat of Thrawn coming back is cool. The fact that we all know he isn't around in the sequel trilogy, takes away from the "stakes" of him being a threat.
    So narratively, the past is cool but kind of a let down & the future is already set with terrible stories so there are limited stakes. Also a let down, even if it's subconscious.
    Disney really fucked up by not focusing on characters like Ahsoka, Luke, Leia, Han, Thrawn, etc. They could have release EP7 with Rey looking for Luke, only to find Ahsoka. Released a whole TV series about Ahsoka, & continued the sequel trilogy or whatever.
    Star Wars is a dead IP because it's narratively bankrupt. There a no themes or motifs. Characters lack motivation. Villains suck. Mando isn't that good even but by comparison it's a 4 inch poop surrounded by diarreha.

Well said.

I would add that the original creative team had real inspirations to draw upon.... classic samurai tales, old 1930s action serials and old radio shows, Nazis/totalitarian state with real uniforms and style....

Classic storytelling is not being practiced here today.

#5876 7 months ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

What? Luke was perfect

Seriously. Mark did a great job and his screen test footage proves it.

#5886 7 months ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

And yes "beer gut" Thrawn is a bit jarring.

He's in power - of course they always eat the best. I think it adds realism.

1 week later
    #5904 6 months ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

A weekly live action cartoon. That sums it up.
    The only thing that people will remember about this show is the introduction of Thrawn & Hayden Christensen fan-service flashbacks. The Jedi Temple droid Huyang has been a nice addition to the lore, mostly thanks to David Tennent voicework. But the writing & action sequences are utterly forgettable. And the main character Ahsoka comes out of Season 1 less interesting than she entered it.
    The more I think about it, it's clear to me that Roserio Dawson was a poor casting choice, thanks to years of fans campaigning (for some reason) for her in the role. She's brought very little to the character with her sleepwalking sedated performance & less than impressive action choreography.

Is there anything of this series (or other recent ones) that bring the same "awe" that the OT did? Like the AT-ATs in Empire, or the end LS battle (physical and mental) of Luke/Vader/Emperor in ROTJ? Or the ending attack on the Death Star like in the first film?

1 week later
    #5929 6 months ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Utterly correct- Don't think about it, just consume the next thing!
    Disney Star Wars is terrible.

Anything under the Disney brand now is terrible.

1 month later
    #5959 5 months ago

Finished Just finished Ahsoka and was a bit disappointed, but its still acceptable. There were some really bad things, but enough good sprinkled in to make it worth a watch.
    I can now rank all of the canon Star Wars movies/shows. I have seen all of these excepting the last few Rebels, Resistance, and Young Jedi Adventures. Please note that the cutoff for being… not great… is anything below the Solo movie.
    The Empire Strikes Back (Episode 5)
    A New Hope (Episode 4)
    Return of the Jedi (Episode 6)
    Mandalorian
    Revenge of the Sith (Episode 3)
    Clone Wars Cartoons (Some of these are excellent, others not)
    Rogue One
    Andor
    Attack Of The Clones (Episode 2)
    The Phantom Menace (Episode 1)
    Bad Batch
    Tales Of The Jedi (Some really good, others not)
    Force Awakens
    Rebels
    Book of Boba Fett
    Ashoka
    Obi-Wan
    Visions (hit or miss, but some are good).
    Solo
    Clone Wars (Original Clone Wars cartoon movie before it “matured”)
    Resistance
    Rise of Skywalker
    Forces of Destiny (Barbie Star Wars)
    Young Jedi Adventures (made for 5 year olds)
    The Last Jedi
    Fight me…

Absolutely no way that The Phantom Menace is below ep 2 and 3 and Andor - no way. We obviously have different tastes and quality expectation in films.

TPM was pretty damn good.

#5972 5 months ago

I mean it's all subject and doesn't really matter but it's interesting to see how all of our opinions are WAY different. No wonder they keep pumping out this shit because someone somewhere likes it.

And Star Wars (ANH) is better than ESB. ANH had NO money and they made shit up (effects wise) as they went along that is the film that changed it all, not ESB. ESB had a ton of $ behind it.

I actually think ROTJ is better than ESB.

#5981 5 months ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Somehow Palpatine returned...
    Disney messed the sequel trilogy up so bad. For a time they had Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, and Harrison Ford (plus other original trilogy actors) and completely blew the opportunity to properly reunite them on the big screen. Instead they killed off Han and Luke (plus insulted the character) and Carrier Fisher sadly passed away in real life.
    There was no plan to create a meaningful sequel trilogy under one director who had a start to finish vision for all 3 films. Instead Disney was focused on one thing, money, and recouping as much of the $4 billion they gave George Lucas as fast as they could.

No doubt. You had the original actors for one entire movie and you f'd it up beyond reconginition.

#5982 5 months ago

Think about how much potential Star Wars wasted with this scene right here.

I'd have watched a Cad Bane spinoff.

Same - finally had a great character and wasted it. I was shocked that they killed him. Maybe was too much alpha male for Disney these days as they also neutered Thrawn....

#5984 5 months ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

The Disney Q4 earnings call was yesterday, so the next few weeks may be interesting. New outside Lucasfilm leadership desperately needed. The truth is that Iger is part of the problem & should be let go as well.

Agree.

That South Park ep looks hilarious.

#5995 5 months ago
    Quoted from Pooman2084:

The Mr Plinkett reviews are comedy gold!

Those are done very well.

#6008 5 months ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky: Wish someone would have told me way back in 1990 that Roger Corman's low-budget shelved FF movie was the closest anyone would ever get to producing a faithful version of Jack Kirby's FF.

I thought the same thing a couple of months ago when my son asked me about which FF movie was the best.

#6019 5 months ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Feige is clearly not the guy to handle such a task. I'd blow it up, hire new exec to lead Marvel Studios, then take 5 years off to plan it out & do it right.

Cash flow and investment capital in the properties won't allow for that.

Just keep throwing shit at the screen Disney. Maybe one of these years someone will put the company out of it's misery. It's like the Roman Empire.....to bloated, corrupt, and rotten from the inside.

#6025 5 months ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

It's official. Dave Filoni gets Lucasfilm promotion, now the Chief Creative Officer. All future SW project development goes through him now, from project inception to planning & tying together all future SW content. Pretty clear proof the rumored leadership changes at Lucasfilm are coming. So long Kennedy, the woke storytelling group, Pablo Hidalgo, and all the rest of them in 2024.
    There honestly is no better person than Filoni for that job, after being Lucas's protégé for decades. He deeply understands SW lore & character motivations. The problem is that now he has the power, he's not going to be interested telling George Lucas stories. He's going to push Dave Filoni stories. After the way he handled the Ahsoka series, that leaves me less than enthused for the future.
    Better than Kennedy in charge of future projects though! Question now is... what projects are getting axed? Kiss that Rey movie GOODBYE!
    https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/11/star-wars-ahsoka-dave-filoni

Meet the new hoss. Same as the old hoss........

1 week later
    #6033 4 months ago

Thanks for the review. Personally, I’m all Godzilled out. But, I hope the big guy keeps going.

4 weeks later
    #6046 3 months ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

From the director of the next Star Wars/Rey film...
    [quoted image]

Perfect.

3 weeks later
    #6067 3 months ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

That Rey movie will never see the light of day, because 2024 is going to be one of the worst years for new Star Wars content.
    The only live shows being released this year is The Skeleton Crew & The Acolyte. Practically nothing is known about TSC, only described as the Goonies in Space, which doesn't sound like Star Wars at all. The Acolyte is so controversial, so overbudget & likely to upset fans that they are still debating if it should be released at all. Still no official trailers for either series, and no Celebration Convention in 2024, so I'm not sure how they are going to hype the releases. No movies on the horizon either.
    The only other content coming is more seasons of Filoni cartoons, which the majority of fans completely ignore. Andor series finale is the best thing in production & that's been bumped to 2025 due to the writers strike.
    Not promising at all. But after the huge disappointments of Mando Season 3 & Ahsoka Season 1, it's pretty clear that most fans don't care anyway. At least Kennedy won't be around much longer.

from wiki

Headland assembled a writers room for the series by June 2021, with the group each having different relationships with the franchise, such as only being fans of the original trilogy, specifically being fans of Dave Filoni's Star Wars projects, or not being fans of it at all.[21] Additional writers on the series included Jason Micallef, Charmaine DeGrate, Jasmyne Flournoy, Eileen Shim, Claire Kiechel, Kor Adana, Cameron Squires, Jocelyn Bioh, and Jen Richards.[12] In May 2022, Headland said writing for the series was mostly complete.[2] She said the "female-centric" series would have a female protagonist, but would not exclude male characters or audiences. She also explained that the series would be introducing new characters and canon to the franchise that she hoped would interest existing fans, but she understood that not all fans would like it and felt that was fine due to the large amount of different Star Wars projects being produced.[22]

Sounds like a blockbuster.

#6084 89 days ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

KK will leave when she wants to leave. She's been around too long, knows too much and anyone in a position to fire her is on the same girl power/social justice trip that she is.

Exactly. Sometimes it isn't about $, but about propaganda.

#6087 85 days ago

Finishing up Mando Season 3.

Whoever wrote and approved the dialog/script in that final episode should be fired. What a bunch of rot.

It's hard to understand how everything in this series, especially the production can be top notch and it all is for nothing with the story. We have lowered the bar.

#6088 85 days ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I like to speculate. What can I say? haha
    That said, I think everyone was pretty shocked when they renewed her contract for another 3 years in late 2021. That's was likely related to producing Indiana Jones 5, which eventually bombed & was another huge disappointment. Add it to the long list of her failures.
    She'll be gone at the end of this year. Money talks. No more renewals.

No offense, but we simply don't know how these things work. It's all politics, egos, vendettas and agendas.

You have been saying this for almost 5 years now.

1 week later
    #6101 75 days ago

Anybody read those docs that Musk leaked out? What a bunch of horse shit.

That is why Disney sucks and it will only get worse. This is all on Iger's head.

#6113 75 days ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Oh course they did, it checked off all the checkboxes demanded by Disney. See leaked document discussed.
    Bob Iger blamed covid. I kid you not.

What a shit show. No wonder they can't make anything entertaining anymore.

1 week later
    #6130 68 days ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

No one is surprised, there was some insider info leaked awhile that suggested the franchise was problematic just because the name had "men" in it.
    I kid you not.
    I fully expect the male characters to get the Luke Skywalker treatment.

Read the docs. It's all in there.

#6136 67 days ago
    Quoted from FamDocKevin:

Crazy to consider that under Disney's current DEI ridiculousness that there's no possible way they could make the movie Miracle under their current policy. Probably won't be long until they ban anyone from every watching it again because it is "too White."

That started years ago. I was in the Art store (disney springs) and one of the artists was working on a John Henry sketch. It was really good. I asked if he could do the other three from the Legends DVD, and he said he was not allowed to because of DEI.

#6138 65 days ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Spoken by a damn fool exec who has likely never read an X-men comic... or knows that women were part of the core team from the very first issue in 1963.
    I saw some clip the other day of all the Marvel TV/Movie writers & directors since Avengers Endgame. They all stated (quite proudly in fact) that they never read any of the source material comics when writing these Phase 4 films/shows. They didn't want to be influenced by past artists/writers as they took these beloved charters in "new directions".
    When you take such an ignorant, self-entitled, anti-fan position like that.... it's no wonder these projects are so unwatchable now.
    I'd expect no less from the Fantastic Four. Looks like yet another misguided, completely miscast recipe for yet another major FF disappointment. For what, like the 5th time?? Just make a faithful reproduction of Jack Kirby's FF that fans have been waiting decades for. Over 100 iconic issues & stories to pull from. Nah.... let's not read any of them. We know better than Stan Lee, Kirby & the fans!

To think the best version we'll ever get of FF is the Corman version......

#6145 60 days ago

Gotta love the heavy handed ideals from an industry that makes raping girls and small children an art form.

#6147 60 days ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Perceived messaging? LOL
    Disney dipshits apply it with a hammer, Ray Charles has no problem picking it out and he is blind and dead.
    [quoted image]

The Force may be female but wayyyyyy to much whiteness in in that picture.

#6153 58 days ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

It's really not worth getting upset about anymore. The ruse is exposed at this point, so if they continue to push their agendas & check their boxes, instead of just focusing on great storytelling, then eventually audiences will stop watching & move on. It will be difficult to regain the trust of those loyal fans.
    Eventually profits go in the tank, stock prices fall. Then executives & board members will get fired and these companies learn their lesson. Or they won't & eventually get bought out. Seems like it's happening now. It's just going to take until the end of the decade. In the meantime, just stick to watching classic films of the 20th century or independent smaller studios with new fresh ideas.
    I really don't care anymore. These major studios have lost all credibility, with a few rare exceptions.
    Looking forward to Dune 2 this weekend

You are 100% correct. Nothing lasts forever and I'm surprised the parks still have some of that magic, although it's disappearing fast. Enjoy it while you can. Pretty soon we'll have casinos and betting parlors in the Magic Kingdom.

1 week later
    #6160 47 days ago

Meh. Lots of Corporate talk like "re-alighling", "rightsizing", "leveraging",etc.

I don't see anything that targets the true reason for Disney's demise....

#6166 42 days ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Given what they're trying to do, releasing a report targeting Disney's agenda of puting gender and race ahead of storytelling would be a pretty poor way of going about things.

True.

#6172 37 days ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I agree, but this clearly bait & switch. Showrunner already on record saying show will blur lines. There's no good or evil. Sith or Jedi....there's no difference. Just as Lucas intended right? Come on. This is a 100+ year prequel to the prequel trilogy. The lore is already established, so they have to play within that sandbox, but they won't.
    Trailer drop tomorrow will give first look at this trash.
    Sorry for the predetermined negative take, but everything I've heard or read about this project are huge red flags. Article below pretty much summarizes everything about this show. A show focusing on the Sith rising under the noses of the Jedi is an interesting idea, but not in the hands of this showrunner, who admitted she hired writers that have never watched a Star Wars movie before. Been there before with Rey Trilogy garbage.
    https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-the-acolyte-female-villains/
    https://www.cultureslate.com/news/why-leslye-headland-hired-a-writer-who-has-not-seen-star-wars-for-the-acolyte#google_vignette

"The showrunner discussed The Acolyte's more morally ambiguous spin on the Star Wars franchise in a previous interview, noting that she took her cues for this from 1999's The Phantom Menace. Specifically, she singled out the film's portrayal of the Jedi Order as being more fallible than previously assumed as something that The Acolyte will explore in greater detail. "The Jedi really think they're right -- and [Star Wars creator] George [Lucas] tells us that they're wrong in [The Phantom Menace]," Headland said. "They missed a huge aspect of the dark side rising. That just felt like fertile ground to look into what's going on for all of us right now.""

Talk about missing the freakin plot! LOL!

#6184 36 days ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

This is SITH now? Looks like she just walked out of Old Navy.
    [quoted image]

I really am impressed how they can keep making bigger mistakes over and over. You have to respect their tenacity.

#6190 34 days ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

https://variety.com/2024/biz/news/george-lucas-disney-iger-proxy-fight-board-1235945607/
    This was really the big story this week. Lucas has returned to sellout status, as he decides to back Iger in the proxy war. I don't blame him, but leadership clearly isn't going to change there anytime soon.
    Funny how he lamented 10 years ago that it was painful to lose control of Star Wars, and that the franchise was practically one of his children. He's clearly moved on & had a change of heart since his "Disney White Slavers" comment years ago. No longer bitter about the sale or how SW is being handled. Just an old man now who only cares about the stock value for his family. Don't rock the boat. "Magic is not for amateurs" he says. Give me a break.
    Star Wars can't be saved really. If he's make peace with it & moved on, then us older fans should to. This is not our SW anymore & it hasn't been for a long time.

Total sell out but billions of dollars at stake will do that to the best of us.

1 week later
    #6195 21 days ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Any updates on the Kennedy death-watch following the shareholder snooze fest?

She will outlive us all.

#6198 20 days ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

The beatings will continue..
    [quoted image]

I watched the original on laserdisc with my son this past week - and man Raiders is so far out of the realm in quality and storytelling of the last one - it isn't even funny.

True adventure tales are dead.

#6201 20 days ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

True, but most movies from any era aren't going to look great held up next to Raiders. Raiders is one of the great adventure movies of all time and a stone cold classic. Spielberg and Ford both in peak form is basically unbeatable.
    The new one would probably look slightly better if you watch it right after Temple of Doom. Or Crystal Skull for that matter ...

You are probably correct. I loved the movie when I saw it at age 11 and it still holds up. Every scene is perfection.

Of special note - when I see the last act of the stunt show at Hollywood Studios I get nostalgia for the plane/fight scene with the German Mechanic. Having watched the original - damn Spielberg nailed perfection in those few minutes.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider methos.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spoilers-star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-really-bad-spoilers?tu=methos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.