20240417_175905 (resized).jpg
20240417_175911 (resized).jpg
unk part (resized).png
unknown part (resized).png
broken spring (resized).png
Screenshot_20240422_150015_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
IMG_9805 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 18,876 posts in this topic. You are on page 320 of 378.
#15951 5 months ago
Quoted from OriginalFresh:

I’m thinking about getting a Ripley edition but have a few concerns that I figured could be answered here.
What is the overall quality of Pinball Brothers games?
If you have an issue that warrants a replacement part, how long does it take to receive it?
I’ve heard that the game is very immersive and the sound quality is great. Just wanting to reach out to the owners and get your thoughts on my questions above. I guess my only worry is the quality/construction/parts used in the game.

It's been answered plenty here already - the build quality is solid. Early games had issues yes but it's completely fine now, and my LV has been going awesome. Service is absolutely 100% the best you will get in pinball and that's no exaggeration.

Here's an example. Had an issue (a long while back), and after I raised a ticket, Andrea responded within 20 minutes with a whole heap of suggestions and also offered to do a Zoom call to check the machine out with me. Since the time difference was a bit inconvenient he then offered to make a video of himself checking all the things on the machine and send it to me - which he did overnight and I followed it and found the issue the next day.

Another example - I managed to trash my LV translite (yes I dropped it) - sent PB an email, I had a new one within the week, and I'm in Australia.

Just amazing support - never had any service even remotely like it, and I can't recommend PB enough. You guys also have Shawn over there in US and he is equally as good as Andrea has been for me.

#15952 5 months ago

Just read the last couple of pages of this thread where these questions have been asked and answered in the last few days.

#15953 5 months ago

I’m thinking about getting a Ripley edition but have a few concerns that I figured could be answered here.
If you have an issue that warrants a replacement part, how long does it take to receive it?
I’ve heard that the game is very immersive and the sound quality is great. Just wanting to reach out to the owners and get your thoughts on my questions above. I guess my only worry is the quality/construction/parts used in the game.

Cab quality is good. Customer service is great. They send stuff out DHL and get in a couple days. Faster than most US pinball companies on getting parts even though they are based in Europe.
Now they have US parts distributors so maybe even faster.

#15954 5 months ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

ok see if this helps you a bit, it might seem obvious but it was not for me lol.

+1 on this

#15955 5 months ago

I was in the same boat a year ago. My LV is solid as fuk. I asked the same questions before I bought mine. One of the best purchases I’ve done. If that means anything

#15956 5 months ago

Can't speak for the PB version (since I currently own the HW Version) but Alien is the best theme integration of any pin I own IMO. The sounds, lights, shots and overall feel of the pin just screams the Alien universe. I'm a HUGE Alien fan, so I would be the harshest critic of this pin but I just couldn't find anything wrong with it. It's so immersive I had this one player come to my house and refuse to play the pin because the immersion scared him (true story). That's saying something.

I'm getting the Ripley version as well, so I thought the same thing you did. However, a buddy of mine has a PB version and he calmed all of my fears. He stated the first runs of Alien was buggy and were "turds" (his words, not mine), but since then PB fixed all of the problems and has excellent customer service stating his second PB Alien pin runs and plays like a charm.

The only way my Alien would leave my game room was if I was updating the older one because it's a keeper for me.

#15957 5 months ago

They are of very good quality and tech support has been great. You can often get parts to you within the same week depending.

#15958 5 months ago

I just had a broken weapons target switch go bad on me (was no longer making contact) and put in a ticket inquiring about a replacement. Shawn was in Chicago at Expo and couldn't answer, but Andrea did, and we got to the root of the problem. When Shawn got back, he followed up with me and sent out a new switch assembly to me free of charge, which I received in two days.

I should also mention that I'm the second owner of this LV.

I don't think any other company can top this kind of support.

#15959 5 months ago

Any word on Disney approving Ripley's art? Games should be shipping soon

#15960 5 months ago

I have had my Alien SV for a while and it gets a lot of plays- PB support is amazing- I had a few broken targets along the way that I replaced- I highly recommend https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1377-pinball-haven/05733-anti-airball-target-bracket-wedge these wedges- Dramatic difference- no more airballs and no more broken targets-

#15961 5 months ago

I have one of the early TPF prototypes and it did need a lot of mechanical work and some new boards. Other than the main LCD not coming on occasionally, it's been solid on location.

Thankfully the location will power toggle the game if the screen doesn't come on.

I don't really trust the v2 stand up switches to last, so I bought a set of williams 3d switches to replace them. Maybe I can still figure out a way to integrate the LEDs on them, at least for the xeno targets.

#15962 5 months ago

Put this here, it might help some ALIEN owners have their games play better. The issue in question applies to both HP and PB games, it is an issue that was missed and duplicated re. the "Vent 2" shot. Some ALIEN owners fixed it years ago, but it was lost in a very long thread I suppose, many HP ALIEN owners missed it also. Makes all the modes properly playable, can make the shot.

#15963 5 months ago
Quoted from Jahkub:

I have one of the early TPF prototypes and it did need a lot of mechanical work and some new boards. Other than the main LCD not coming on occasionally, it's been solid on location.
Thankfully the location will power toggle the game if the screen doesn't come on.
I don't really trust the v2 stand up switches to last, so I bought a set of williams 3d switches to replace them. Maybe I can still figure out a way to integrate the LEDs on them, at least for the xeno targets.

I just removed/unsoldered the busted SMD switches (woefully inadequate btw; why wasn't it sorted?) and installed leaf switches and stack in the place, bolt in option. Move switch wires from connector to switch.

Had to bash the back of the rivet of the target face (behind) to make sure it didn't smash on the SMD LED, and did put a crash foam strategically behind to cushion a bit. Brilliant; they should be like that from factory. I got sick of replacing those stupido SMD switches which "Didn't sign up for that kind of duty!" Lol

#15964 5 months ago

Made accidental dupe post; whoops. Since I can't remove it, here's an IMAGE of the alterations, top and bottom guide.

20231026_014837 (resized).jpg20231026_014837 (resized).jpg
20231026_014837edit (resized).png20231026_014837edit (resized).png

There is more detail in the ALIEN Thread, Heighway.

#15965 5 months ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Made accidental dupe post; whoops. Since I can't remove it, here's the full games that the 'Vent 2' shots came from

Not sure what I am looking for here?

#15966 5 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Not sure what I am looking for here?

This.

#15967 5 months ago

Is that video just describing shots to practice or did you do something to make the shots easier?

#15968 5 months ago
Quoted from insight75:

Is that video just describing shots to practice or did you do something to make the shots easier?

Maybe look at the SHORTS video guys. Had a silly dupe post happen and shared the whole game where they came from. I'll remove the distraction then. . .

Check a few posts further up.

#15969 5 months ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Made accidental dupe post; whoops. Since I can't remove it, here's an IMAGE of the alterations, top and bottom guide.
[quoted image]
There is more detail in the ALIEN Thread, Heighway.

so you bent the rail to get it to flow better? Is that what I'm seeing here?

#15970 5 months ago
Quoted from monkfe:

so you bent the rail to get it to flow better? Is that what I'm seeing here?

It's all gone through in the OG thread, check in there people ask questions and answers. Just thought I'd share because far as I noticed the PB game is exactly the same in this regard.

Can you all make the "Vent 2" shot across the playfield from the only flipper that lines with it? (Upper Left). Because it is 'accepted' that you can't on an OG ALIEN; it just bounced back out onto open playfield every time, off that ball guide. Too perpendicular, the angle of approach.

Which is what mine used to do. Got sick of it, went to see what we could do. A few owners tended to it. Only a few though. Most just do the random or deflection things instead. Of course a 'trick' shot from lower flippers can get it with some practice, but the Shot Working makes it more achievable regardless.

#15971 5 months ago

I am not sure why I did not think of this sooner. It has been 100% reliable for me since making this adjustment. Hope it works for you too!

So, got to taking a better look at this, and found that one of the welds was broken. After, I was trying to see if I could keep it in place while bending like you did. Man, this metal is really crappy. The horseshoe bent completely out of place very easily and now the whole thing is trashed. Also, as others have said, the welds are bad too. Was very surprised to see how easily other ones popped off from not much pressure at all.

That piece definitely needs improvement and now my game is out of commission until a new one arrives.

#15972 5 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

So, got to taking a better look at this, and found that one of the welds was broken. After, I was trying to see if I could keep it in place while bending like you did. Man, this metal is really crappy. The horseshoe bent completely out of place very easily and now the whole thing is trashed. Also, as others have said, the welds are bad too. Was very surprised to see how easily other ones popped off from not much pressure at all.
That piece definitely needs improvement and now my game is out of commission until a new one arrives.

No different than the HP ones by the sounds. Same part never updated or upgraded. Wait til people's Shooter Wireforms all start falling apart from fatigue (I highly recommend the LEAST launch coil power you can get away with, for lifespan). When I got the game from O/S it had broken wired up Launch Wireform, and I replaced it, and it didn't take all that long the replacement broke. I wired it up. I have the third Launch wireform in the bag still New, and the second still wired together. It's a Site/location machine, had alot of plays. Why would I put the 'New' one on there when the janky wired together one still working just fine double the lifetime later?. Saved the new one to keep a sparkly Freshy, you know to sit there and look pretty, because if I install it, eventually it will come apart and need wire too. Hmmm.

Back to Williams gauge wire, so that they can be welded properly. Or better quality material so that welds can be sound without compromising the wire.

*Actually when the third joint broke on it I started using micro white nylon zip-ties. Quick easy fix btw, that's on top joints of the shooter wireform. I've never had any problems with the upside down ramp wireform, touch wood.

#15973 5 months ago

Hey everyone, been enjoying Spring, summer and Fall outdoors but now that Winter has returned I am back on my pinball machines. I did not read the many pages of posts since I was last on here but I just wanted to say that the latest code and firmware is amazing. On my machine now it is literally dialed in 100%, all the shots including hypersleep and the Alien head is literally 100% now. Over a 4 hour session it never missed one single time. Very pleased with this machine now.

I have had the spring break on a couple flippers about 3 times since I owned it and I just keep making new little hooks and putting it back on. But where can I order some extra springs?

Feels good to be back playing! My best score is like 120M from like 6 months ago. Could barely hit 60M since my return so I gotta relearn stuff.

#15974 5 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

sorry to hear that, yeah the wireworms on this game are trash. My shooter one is broken and held up with zip ties, it works and have a spare for when I need it.
They need to make better ones.

PBros reads these posts so hopefully they do something about this in the future. Add end of stroke switches in the mix too!

#15975 5 months ago

I am hoping they take the weapons targets one step further and make them leaf type so they can handle the beating they take.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#15976 5 months ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I am hoping they take the weapons targets one step further and make them leaf type so they can handle the beating they take.

Have those been known to fail?

#15977 5 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Have those been known to fail?

on occasion, they are a circut board type with micro switches getting bashed by steel ball at high velocity!!

#15978 5 months ago
Quoted from Kabball:

Hey everyone, been enjoying Spring, summer and Fall outdoors but now that Winter has returned I am back on my pinball machines. I did not read the many pages of posts since I was last on here but I just wanted to say that the latest code and firmware is amazing. On my machine now it is literally dialed in 100%, all the shots including hypersleep and the Alien head is literally 100% now. Over a 4 hour session it never missed one single time. Very pleased with this machine now.
I have had the spring break on a couple flippers about 3 times since I owned it and I just keep making new little hooks and putting it back on. But where can I order some extra springs?
Feels good to be back playing! My best score is like 120M from like 6 months ago. Could barely hit 60M since my return so I gotta relearn stuff.

This is what my distributor gave me.. And I posted a while back...

My distributor gave me some part number information for this machine. He mentioned that the springs would be: 265-5035-00
Sega/Stern Flipper Extension Spring. They seem to have the same specs as the JJP ones mentioned above, which are 10-364
JJP 13-7001-00
JJP 13-007001-00.

Not sure of what a difference could even be or how it would even matter but just wanted to share.

#15979 5 months ago

These switches are definitely a weak point inherited from the original design. Without these the targets can't accommodate the led that lites them up

#15980 5 months ago

Just wanted to give more thanks to Pinball Brothers. I put a ticket in with them about my wireform and they are sending out a replacement next week.

Great customer service there! For anyone hesitant to purchase a Ripley Edition, dont be. They really are just excellent!

#15981 5 months ago

What does the ripley version lack in comparision to the lv-version?

#15982 5 months ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

It doesnt have a anti glare glass, doesnt have painted armor, doesnt have lit up side blades, different art, No Shaker?, No Beacons.

Not sure if I am missing more...

#15983 5 months ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

The heavy price tag. Get the RV it's the way to go.
Pbros really stuck it to LV owners. Not a popular move in my book

#15984 5 months ago

I don't know about that. I'd say they more stuck it to the later SV owners. It's just an SV with another paint job and a lower price. The LV still has more over it if you want all that.

#15985 5 months ago

I don't think they stuck it to anybody. The game is great at every level and price point. Glad I got my LV...and the MSRP was right in line with other LE games. Glad I got mine, and I'd recommend the LV to anybody looking for one.

#15986 5 months ago

Id disagree with this. Sure, I have an LV. But even with the Ripley being offered, Id still jump on the LV if it was a choice.

#15987 5 months ago

I have the LV. I would buy the RV instead. There is no value in the LV now, and the art seems incongruent and busy, the LV translite wore off quickly to me and I would prefer the RV version all day.

#15988 5 months ago

I have the LV. I would buy the RV instead. There is no value in the LV now, and the art seems incongruent and busy, the LV translite wore off quickly to me and I would prefer the RV version all day.

Sell it then. Im sure someone would take that off your hands...

#15989 5 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Sell it then. Im sure someone would take that off your hands...

Too late now, seems like a lose-lose proposition either way

#15990 5 months ago

Not sure I understand that but ok

#15991 5 months ago

These switches are definitely a weak point inherited from the original design. Without these the targets can't accommodate the led that lites them up

Just remove the SMD switch from the board (or use the Heighway Sling Boards instead) and put Regular pinbal leaf switch in there. Two of the wires from the connector for the switch go to the new blades instead, and the LED stays.

The switches being inadequate for the duty is one thing, the part I really couldn't stand even worse though is their lack of sensitivity. The ball has to hit the target with some fair amount of force before the switch will register at all. Not like an Actual pinball target switch either which can be easily Adjusted for it's sensitivity. The fact that PB kept such rubbish stuff from Heighway's theories is astounding. But yet they ditch the greatest things from it?. Go figure!?.

PB get my commendations for Breaking Up the playfield boards, and making good facehuggers. Also apparently for providing good after sales service. That's about the end of the positive stories for PB having observed as an owner of ALIEN. Sorry. But even there with a couple of positives, when will free replacement fragile standups and wireforms come to an end??.

PB will make money from the parts eventually, instead of giving out the freebies. . . except not so much from the people that convert to pinball switches, and improve/repair wireforms themselves.

#15992 5 months ago

After everyone's testimonials about the Pinball Brothers quality, construction, and customer service I went ahead placed an order through a distributor for a Ripley! Thank you to everyone who responded to my questions/concerns.

#15993 5 months ago

I appreciate the opinion, shipping new versions of a product always creates some of this sentiment. For me and my LV I am still over the moon and even today would make the decision to buy the LV the extras are very worth it to me. But honestly I am just more excited about how the game is playing. THE ALIEN HEAD IS 100% NOW! god I love that lol. In two full nights of playing long sessions it has never missed. No failed launches from the trough etc etc everthing seems totally dialed in.

I guess that is what I LOVED most about hearing about this Ripley version. It meant that PB was going to continue to make adjustments to code and firmware and support the product a while longer yet and long enough to truly dial in the game. So I am thankful for Ripley version.

Anyhow gonna order some of those springs as replacements and find time to install my long play time fans for the coils I have had sitting around for 9 months.

#15994 5 months ago

To each their own then. While I’m super excited about the low cost of entry for RV owners I think the art package on the RV is busy. It’s all in the eyes of the beholder and subjective.

#15995 5 months ago

There is no wrong answer on which version is best. I'm happy with my LV. I wouldn't want the others. Order what you like and enjoy.

#15996 5 months ago

Still in better shape than Foo Fighter LE''s going for 10k now nib.

#15997 5 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I am scared to bend this rail because of stated qualities but maybe something to kill the energy from the ball,I tried to put a piece of dynomat there with limited results,but if you could stop the ball from bouncing so much,any ideas?

#15998 5 months ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I am scared to bend this rail because of stated qualities but maybe something to kill the energy from the ball,I tried to put a piece of dynomat there with limited results,but if you could stop the ball from bouncing so much,any ideas?

So, originally when I started having this issue, I took a piece of semi hard foam, cut it essentially to a small triangle but to ramp width, to create an upside-down ramp, and stuck it underneath that reverse ramp. With the idea to have that little foam ramp push the ball into the wireform. It was working quite well for a while. For some reason, the ball started getting stuck on the sides and became an annoyance, so I removed it to try other ways. I probably should have redone it, and shortened the length so that the ball wouldnt get stuck on the sides if not centered.

Hope that makes sense. I feel like that reverse ramp metal is just a bit too short and the angle of it allows the ball to travel too fast, therefore giving airballs.

But yes, your idea of something to kill the energy was exactly my idea as well. This is like my last main thing to dial in and for some reason its been a PITA for me. Hoping that for some reason, the new one that they send me will magically fix my issues haha. I didnt have these issues at first, but no idea why they would have started. very strange.

#15999 5 months ago
Quoted from rockrand:

As an example of what I meant, I actually just ordered this to give another try if needed. Can shave it down to fit my needs, but essentially, stick this upside down underside of that reverso ramp, so that the ball trajectory is placed downward towards the wireform.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832823309664.html?spm=a2g0o.order_detail.order_detail_item.2.6122f19cZWWWTr&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#16000 5 months ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Just remove the SMD switch from the board (or use the Heighway Sling Boards instead) and put Regular pinbal leaf switch in there. Two of the wires from the connector for the switch go to the new blades instead, and the LED stays.
The switches being inadequate for the duty is one thing, the part I really couldn't stand even worse though is their lack of sensitivity. The ball has to hit the target with some fair amount of force before the switch will register at all. Not like an Actual pinball target switch either which can be easily Adjusted for it's sensitivity. The fact that PB kept such rubbish stuff from Heighway's theories is astounding. But yet they ditch the greatest things from it?. Go figure!?.
PB get my commendations for Breaking Up the playfield boards, and making good facehuggers. Also apparently for providing good after sales service. That's about the end of the positive stories for PB having observed as an owner of ALIEN. Sorry. But even there with a couple of positives, when will free replacement fragile standups and wireforms come to an end??.
PB will make money from the parts eventually, instead of giving out the freebies. . . except not so much from the people that convert to pinball switches, and improve/repair wireforms themselves.

I haven't had any issues with the targets once I swapped to the v3's. I imagine over time they will break, but since they are the same as on Queen, and who knows what else, they'll be around to get replacements. You aren't expecting free replacements for life are you?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Brownsburg, IN
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

7,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Traders

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boynton Beach, FL
$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 18,876 posts in this topic. You are on page 320 of 378.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club/page/320 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.