IMG_9110 (resized).jpeg
atmel (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Alien pinball (resized).jpg
20240414_165244 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1360 Video of one solution to sticky flippers. Posted by HurryUpPinball (2 years ago)

Post #3169 Minimizing electrical interference issues Posted by brado426 (2 years ago)

Post #5287 Some spare parts Posted by Baggerman (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ceemunkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3692 2 years ago

I've been on the fence for a long time on this one - the theme is one I desperately want, I am the biggest Alien fan! The gameplay, the modes, the sound, the theme integration all look incredible. BUT... Seeing all the issues in this thread really put me off somewhat.

However, after ordering a Halloween and seeing how that is continually improving as Spooky pump them out, I'm being optimistic and assuming PB will also refine their code and production process. So - that said, I have finally caved and reserved an LV!

I found the reveal a bit underwhelming as most did, but I think I'm going to just love this machine whenever it arrives. I think this and Halloween are the most hyped I've ever been for any pins. Someone just has to make a modern BTTF and I think I'm set for life!

#3718 2 years ago

Now that I've ordered the LV - I've been scouring the internet for every little piece of information I can get. There's really no info about this is there outside of those (rather poorly conceived) mocked up pictures...?

Have to say though, just watching a few streams of the SV being played this machine looks AMAZING. Looks like they absolutely nailed the theme.

1 week later
#3811 2 years ago

I'm unbelievably keen to see a "real" LV, with actual assets not just mock ups/placeholders. Has anyone seen/heard anything beyond the original announcement, or are we all just waiting...?

#3866 2 years ago

I have a question for the early adopters, not sure if it's been addressed before. How do those beautifully polished ramps hold up after a few hundred games? Do they begin the get scratched/dinged or tarnished? They are soooo shiny it seems they would show up any little imperfections. I love the look of them but I did think that they are going to get annihilated by the ball pretty quickly?

#3906 2 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Ok,
I need some input from buyers and future buyers:
$8595 for Standard Version (SV)
-I am going in on the custom apron (& now beacons). Which is going for $1000
So total will be $9595
Or
Do I just buy LV which is supposed to have custom Apron and beacons already integrated? So the difference is $1000 now. What do you get for $1000 more?
$10695 for Limited Version (LV)
Any feedback is appreciated. For those already in on SV - think about this if you were to purchase a new game today.
Edit - I guess a number of features for the additional $1k. Download details.[quoted image]

I went with LV - but at the moment I accept it's a bit of a gamble since the details given so far have been vague, and all we've seen is a (not so great) mock up of how it will look. Definitely appears to be all cosmetics rather than any additional playfield toys, mechs or screens, so for me it comes down to the artwork (which I think looks great) and the little things like the custom armour/blades/apron/beacons etc. I'm a massive Alien fan so it's justifiable for me.

If you aren't too fussed about that stuff, I think the custom apron for the SV looks fantastic (it may turn out to be much better than the LV one who knows), and if it can also implement the beacons well - that will make it a superb alternative for the LV edition.

#3912 2 years ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

I'm not saying I'm biased towards ours but from what we can see on the mock ups, the PB apron will have the strobe lights at the front of the apron, it doesn't have the Alien logo, weapons or bullets, the beacons they are using are short squishy ones lol and the ones we are using are more like the true beacons on the loader. There's no denying the artwork on the LV is really beautiful. But if you're going all in why not have both the LV and the aftermarket custom apron? lol You can't go wrong with either choice the machine is fabulous. If you like the PB beacons we are offering the option of just the apron, like I say either way you're getting a great machine. I'm with you though I wish they would release real pictures of an actual machine so we can all stop guessing what it may look like.

Wait a sec - the apron will also go on the LV??? Oh now there's something to chew on....

2 weeks later
#4118 2 years ago

As we slowly creep into December, what are the chances of seeing some more LV news I wonder. I'm not greedy, just a snippet of info, or even a single picture would be awesome.

Jeez - between this and Halloween, I'm finding it hard to just calm down and wait for whenever they arrive. I don't think I've actually been this hyped up for 2 pins ever and I'm definitely watching, no - STARING at the pot - which at this stage isn't even lukewarm! This is going to seem like a very long wait...

1 week later
#4393 2 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

So still not a peep from PB on the LV model since the initial reveal, unless I am missing something.
I put my deposit in right at the beginning, but feeling pretty let down by the lack of anything tangible outside of some crude renderings.
And they're clearly still available for pre-order... I am wondering how many folks are on the fence waiting for the "reveal redux".
I'm seriously doubting LV pins will be shipping in January if they can't even put out a real picture of the product at this point.

Not exactly on the fence, I'm all in - whenever it gets built, and if that's later then so be it. Part of me is glad because I want them to iron out all these issues that keep cropping up on the standards.

BUT also - I'm a little dismayed at the crickets/complete lack of hype or info on reveal for this, and I don't think they're going to be built on time. I'm almost hoping they are going to "re-reveal" this - it's going to be so incredible, and we're all going to collectively cheer. But more likely, it's just running behind schedule, and it'll look extremely close to the rendered shots (that'll be fine too).

I wouldn't mind, but that makes 3 pins I have on order that I was expecting early 2022, and looks like I'll be waiting (a lot) longer than anticipated for all of them.

I'm just waiting now for my distro to call me and say my DP premium is delayed until mid 2022 - that one will make me slightly peeved.

1 week later
#4602 2 years ago

PM'd.

I think this machine looks fantastic - and quite honestly the side art lighting alone makes me glad I went for the LV, how freaking amazing does that look? I love the art package, the side armour/powder is fantastic and the beacons are very cool - so absolutely no complaints from me, great job PB!

#4608 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Yeah that LV really completes that alien feel. Although the SV felt like a solid package, that alien feel was a little subdued Bc coming from heighway version, I knew what it was missing. But that makes sense - is the entry version. The LV will bring everything together - the missing parts (Les the duplicate screen) and the reworked parts, magnet, back lock etc. can’t go wrong with the SE though if the budget isn’t there

As a Heighway owner - just wanted to ask, do you miss the larger LCD? Lots of people have complained, but coming in as a new owner with no time on the Heighway machine I have to say Id rather just have a reasonably sized LCD and some stunning artwork like that on the backglass.

I will say the playfield screen seems like a glaring omission, but again, coming in new I won't miss it.

#4713 2 years ago

Everyone is right here - communication is most important, because generally speaking it's only the uncertainty that generates frustration. These things are a lot of money, and generate huge amounts of anticipation, so when things get delayed but no news is forthcoming, you find yourself thinking about it way too much. That's where the problems start to come in.

Just keeping everyone updated (even if its delayed by weeks or months) eliminates all the uncertainty, and doesn't keep you guessing and wondering.

1 week later
#4885 2 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I've put a lot of mental cycles into this, but I think I may go SV on this instead of the LV. Can someone talk me into the LV? The lit side blades would be cool, but 2k cool? I'm getting the beacons with the apron upgrade, so covered there. Besides, I like the taller versions better.
To me, the art is a toss-up. I think the queen on the backglass looks good, but I also like the darker look of the SV. So there's the alien head side rails...I feel like they are a bit understated. I mean, I like them, but I'm not sure how much of an overall impact they make. It's really down to the 2k, and it's easier for me to pull the trigger on ~9K shipped vs. ~11k shipped. Over 10k still has a slight mental hurdle for me, unless it's just a knock my socks off, gotta have it difference. Sorry for the mental rant, I'm just trying to firm up a decision.

I think in this case, if you weren't 100% all in on the LV from day 1 (ie, you are a raving, rabid Alien fan), I'd be ecstatic with an SV, it's 2k cheaper and it's a great looking machine - obviously more Alien oriented (in terms of looks) than the LV which is more of an Aliens flavor which may or may not be a plus/minus depending on your preference. There are no playfield or gameplay changes and the features are all purely aesthetic.

I am a rabid fanboy, so was always going to go LV - and looking at the fantastic art, powder, rails, extra lighting I'm more than happy with it. I mentioned before, but a lot of people were disappointed that they didn't increase the screen size like the HWY version, but I think its MUCH better to have a standard size screen with some killer artwork. Also, call me crazy bit I prefer the stubby beacon toppers to the custom ones being produced for the LV too.

1 week later
#4977 2 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

Anyone in Sydney Australia got one of these suckers to play?

There must be one out here! I'd like to play one too I can't stand the wait for the LV.

#4980 2 years ago

Buy the SC and then when your LV arrived sell the SV

OR.... how about you buy the SV, and then invite me round several times to play it. Then if you don't like the SV sell it for something else - if you do like it, keep it. Simples!

edit: in all honesty though, I'm not sure the SVs are still available here? I know 1 or 2 people did manage to get one last minute because a few were not sold in the last container (due to change of mind or people deciding to upgrade to the LV).

#5013 2 years ago
Quoted from FtrMech:

Just some FYI for us LV purchasers...I sent an e-mail to PB this morning asking for a "Best Guess" on LV deliveries to the US to which they replied: "we hope to have a container with LVs ready to ship to the US end of January. We are still waiting for some parts but those should come in next week". Seems we are getting closer.

Wow that's great news - I wonder if there's a shipment to Australia in similar time frames?

#5064 2 years ago
Quoted from DreamTR:

My game is now on 35 days of being dead. New code bricked it, Doesn't even recognize the drive anymore. "Supposedly" this computer was already replaced once. Can't get answers from PB, Cato keeps saying stuff to the factory for me but this has literally been the biggest piece of garbage I have ever purchased. Owned it 3 months and it has just been broken for most of it.
Not even sure what I can do at this point but they have sent me replacement things before but now I need something to get the game to even boot. I really wish they would send me a new machine at this point.

Oh man this really sucks - 35 days down without being playable in any way, I cant say I blame you for hating the thing. Minor issues, eg targets malfunctioning, switches not registering is one thing. Having a bricked machine is another thing entirely, I really hope they sort this for you soon.

1 week later
#5235 2 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Well got the proto stuff alltogether so far..
Black ripple hardware, britemods buttons, translite 2d, apron skin, Launch button, black gloss T molding, backlit egg in coi door
Cab art still to come and working ona screen mod for the apron area. he backboard is going to need some love....
Tracker mod in - bloody beautiful Andrew.....11/10.
Yes I am happy to get the panels made and post out ( from Australia) but at this stage DIY lighting and installtion but happy to share what I did, some of you may have better options. Translite front, rear, apron and coin door approx $420 Aud plus postage which I have no idea on.
[quoted image]

That looks great man - very nice work indeed.

1 week later
#5351 2 years ago

Can't quite believe these are almost complete and shipping! I put my name on the list for an LV back in December 2020 - it doesn't seem real these are finally getting on a boat - hopefully we really are going to get an initial batch over to Australia!

#5367 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

heard from? Curious if this is accurate or not. I was told shipping end of Jan but that was a few weeks ago.
EDIT - PB facebook post showing pics of LV before boxing was less than 24 hours so they're not on the boat yet but soon! Sweet.
Pictures of the LV look great - love that art.
Wait - weren't the legs expected to be powdered too? Pics show them standard chrome. I'm sure we can color match but that doesn't match expectations. Maybe something changed. Overall, looks like a really nice step up appearance wise.

I already asked this on the FB post, but they've assured the legs will be powder coated.

1 week later
#5483 2 years ago

I'm just on absolute tenterhooks waiting for anyone on here to post a pic of a delivered LV. We all know they are nearing completion - the pics that PB have posted on Facebook shows they are painfully close to being shipped and getting to us owners. Really cannot wait to see them start to arrive (especially mine obvs).

Not sure when that might happen it seems that shipping is really a sh*tshow at the moment... but surely it can't be THAT far off can it....?

2 weeks later
#5761 2 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

I powder coated my trim and updated to non lollipop rails in Dulux black ripple.
Added mirror blades for effect - it doesn't increase lighting really but looks alot more classy imo.
Agree the darkness suits the theme though. I'm going to add to subtle spotlights near the mini guns I installed to add a bit of light to the main pf area. I also added trough lighting which helped alot.[quoted image][quoted image]

Those sentry guns are just too cool! Love the detail on them with the laptop and everything.

#5904 2 years ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

Yes I have been given the shipping details to track the Australian LV container. Getting excited now.

Yep, was told by Wayne that we'll have our LVs end of this month! I wasn't sent any tracking info on the container though where did you get that from?

1 week later
#6004 2 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Well 24hrs can make such a difference. Made contact with my distributor here in Australia and an LV had just become available, quick dash to the bank to secure it and bonus to find out they are on the ship and expected in a few weeks. Can’t wait for this one. I was originally going to buy with Heighway but changed my mind last minute (dodged a bullet there!) Very happy to secure what is a dream theme for me.
Happy dance

Ah it was you who got that one!

Very lucky - we should get them soon it's gonna be awesome!

#6008 2 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

Just had a shipment arrive in Australia , pics up soon

Happy to take them away from Flippers to give them to Real Collectors.

Holy cow is that a shipment of LVs...? If you say yes, I might just explode with excitement, I thought we were expecting them end of the month!

#6022 2 years ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

Ok I’ll ask….Ballypinball, are they SV or LV Alien that have arrived in Australia?

I think they are SVs - I sent an email and Wayne says LVs are still on the boat, approx 2 weeks out. We all got hugely excited for a minute there!

Still - we are only talking weeks away now, not months - we are so close!

2 weeks later
#6319 2 years ago

So awesome seeing LVs finally delivered! Our Australia bound ones were a bit delayed, but hopefully should still be here in a matter of weeks.

Quick question for anyone who's unboxed the LV - is it a true backglass on the backbox? Can't really tell from the pics.

#6475 2 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

I've had a couple more requests for the translite and door mods, if anyone wants them drop me a pm. Need to do a run of 5 to make it cost-effective.
Also had a request for a Queen version in blue hues rather than green which can be done as wellif we get a few people wanting the same.
Had a few guys asking about flipper bats. I just used scared stiff boney beast bats and hand painted them black base, gunmetal highlights then gloss clear.
Had a great game last night but can't seem to crack those big scores you guys get![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Mate, I would be very interested to see an LV queen version. I actually love the translite art on the LV it looks amazing, but this could be very special indeed.

#6506 2 years ago

The more pics I see of the LV, the more eager I'm getting to receive mine. I'm literally willing the ship to go faster to get here.

At this stage I'm like Cartman waiting for the Wii - if freezing myself was an option I might just take it.

cartman (resized).jpgcartman (resized).jpg
#6548 2 years ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

The one he has available right now is $1000 more than what they were. Probably as it’s the last one.

I did struggle with this myself its a huge increase over the SV for seemingly a few little extras, and in general I'm not an LE person I actually prefer to get premiums and mod them up myself. But - ultimately, if there's one pin I would shell out for to have the extra trimmings it would be this one.

One thing I was a bit disappointed to hear is that the backbox artwork is plastic - I would have loved to have seen that as a mirrored backglass it would have been really stunning.

#6552 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I thought it was printed on acrylic, is it not?

I don't know - maybe "plastic" was a poor choice of words. I just know it's not a nice mirrored backglass which would have been AWESOME.

#6701 2 years ago

I can totally understand this frustration. I've been waiting so long for this machine it's been almost painful - if I get it here and it requires boards, harnesses etc replaced I think the disappointment might just overwhelm me. That's without the added stress of wanting to put it on location...

It'll get fixed for sure we all know that, and these things certainly do happen... Honestly though reading Deez posts (try one thing - something breaks, try something else - something else breaks, try yet something else - the original problem comes back and it begins all over again)... Seriously it's almost making ME angry!

#6791 2 years ago

OMG... for all of us Aussie owners... its so close now...

ship (resized).jpgship (resized).jpg
#6793 2 years ago

Pity it’s not being offloaded in Sydney

Yeah how annoying is that? It went PAST Melbourne already!

2 weeks later
#7258 1 year ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

So excited, now the dilemma to drive down to Melbourne to pick up or wait on the courier. Decisions decisions. ‍

Mark is picking some up on Monday for Sydney delivery including mine - not long to wait mate!

#7306 1 year ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Just a quick post, my LV is setup and running perfectly - no electronic issues powered on first time and been running flawlessly (installed with 2.5 so undecided whether I should upgrade to 2.6) and only had one mechanical issue out of the box with the ball jamming in the U bend of the hypersleep ramp. I recalled seeing this mentioned previously, seems when the plastic on the top of the ramp (to stop airballs) is installed it can pull the bottom of the U in just enough to stop the ball - I simply removed the plastic, had to just very lightly squeeze the outer sides of the U bend by hand which widened the gap at the bottom of the U, I was able to put the plastic back on and screwed it down without any alteration - a 2 minute job to fix.
So very happy with the game, it was securely packed, has a solid well made cabinet, beautiful artwork and lighting, outstanding A/V package and integration, ... and it kicks my arse! Now to focus on the gameplay

Awesome to hear! One minor problem only, simple fix - I hope the rest of us have similar luck with our unboxings. Should be all happening this week in NSW!

#7348 1 year ago

Hooray! Love seeing the other Aussies showing off their machines! Well mine arrived today too!

Couple of minor things - game wouldn't start up consistently and left sling is a bit weak. Start-up issue seemed to be a very loose USB connection, sling I will look.at tomorrow.

LOVING the game and the immersion - absolutely fantastic so far!

20220505_133340 (resized).jpg20220505_133340 (resized).jpg20220505_133531 (resized).jpg20220505_133531 (resized).jpg
#7351 1 year ago

Just to chime in with some good news. The inconsistent start up issue I had was indeed a wobbly USB connection (ive secured it a bit better and the problem's gone) and after 20 or so games the left sling sprung to life all by itself! Maybe something stuck in the coil mech that worked free...?

So all has been great so far!

#7387 1 year ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

Lv has arrived. This thing really looks great. Not sure how it plays yet as I’ve had two coils not working. Trough kick out and scoop kick out. Ended up being the pins in the connectors being pulled out from the wiring harness being so tight. Had to try freeing some up as there is no play at all in it.
[quoted image][quoted image]

The wiring is pretty dang tight underneath isn't it? Makes me a bit nervous that pulling the playfield out a few times might break/disconnect something.

Also - I see you have Kurt's awesome translite! Be sure to post pics for us when you install it. I have it too, but can't decide which one to put in the machine and which one to mount as a display! The factory one and Kurt's are both so cool...

#7405 1 year ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

Arrghh! I really hope this isn’t a sign of things to come. The game feels like it has real potential but it feels like one thing after another at the moment. I understand some minor adjustments may be needed when you get it but this feels like it’s a bit more than that. I’ve already had to adjust 3 stand ups that were stuck closed, the scoop sdtm issue, the connectors with pins pulled out for the coils and a bent trough eject bracket that stopped the balls from rolling down the trough.
Now I’ve noticed the main monitor has an area to the right and top that is always out or mis coloured. After going through my photos it happened to be there from the first start up. I just hadn’t noticed it until now.
Also it’s started losing all of the background sound and it’s only playing the sound effects when a shot is hit. This background sound comes back for the next ball but will remain out for the entire ball in play.
This added to the air Lock Screen out and the game locking up mid ball and I’m getting a little concerned.
Edit: Now I’m really pissed. I don’t think I’ve even played 10 games and now it doesn’t even boot up. I turn it on and get the pinball brothers on the screen and the side rails light up but that’s it. Nothing else. I’m sorry for the people that love the game but I’ve got a piece of shit.

Don't give up on it yet mate! If it helps, I've noticed connector issues in several spots on my game and it's caused some very weird behaviour. The start up issue I had sounds the same as yours - the PB logo comes up and just sits there stuck. I traced that back to a really shonky USB connector in the cabinet box because I could feel it had wriggled itself loose, and it really doesn't sit properly in its connection when it's plugged in. I've had to "secure' it in place for the time being just to stop it moving around while playing. Anyway, since securing that (basically with a bit of putty lol)I haven't had the startup issue, so for sure check that usb plug. I can give pics if necessary.

I *have* had some other problems since - such as tilt warnings firing randomly, phantom switch hits, the start button no longer working and the monitor not coming on even though the machine appears to start up ok. Also one of my pop bumpers is not lighting up. Pretty much all of these (besides the pop bumper) appear to have caused by connectors so far. I think, as others have said the wiring on this machine is very secure - perhaps too much, so that any movement of the machine can pull connections free, and I've had the playfield in/out quite a bit putting in mods, checking things over etc...

I doubt there's a whole lot wrong with your machine it just feels like it. The guys on here and PB will get us all up and running 100% and once it is I think it'll be solid. I think we just have to be a little patient with this one at the start.

#7412 1 year ago

Issues aside (and luckily so far I've only had minor ones), this game is sooooo good. Seriously if anyone is on the fence about taking the plunge with this one, do it you will not be disappointed. For fans of the franchise its a no-brainer - its eerily suspenseful and even the way the game shoots matches the Alien theme perfectly. The music, sounds, modes, everything is really well done. The code is already fantastic - you don't just have modes to complete (from 2 different movies no less) you have 5 multiballs and the use of alien lifecycles and weapons to supplement everything etc...

It's the first time I've bought a NIB LE (LV in this case), and I'm very, very happy with it. Yes it's had a few teething problems, but I've raised these with PB, have had responses and I know the game will be 100% soon. As it is - it's been perfectly playable, a few tweaks here and there same as I've had to do with Sterns and Spooky pins so nothing new there... Brilliant machine!

#7438 1 year ago

Yeah one of my pop bumpers' LEDs are completely out (left egg). Everything seems to be connected up ok, PB have said I probably need a new pcb.

Boof-Ed did you sort out the software re-build/reinstall?

#7597 1 year ago

My experience with the LV so far after a week or so of owning it... Putting it here so maybe others may find it useful.

So when I first got it - I unboxed, did a quick inspection around and under the playfield. All looked ok so I turned it on and played a 10-20 games noting some very minor issues. Flippers felt ok but not quite snappy enough so upped the power slightly and that's fine. My upper right egg bumper had no leds lit, and my left sling seemed a bit weaker compared to the right. On further inspection under the pf, the left sling bracket has been bent so I'm pretty sure the coil isn't firing smoothly into the coil sleeve. I've been VERY carefully bending it back straight and its improving as I do so.

Ok, so after a day or two, the machine wouldn't boot. When I started it up the screen would just go to the PB logo and stay there. I lifted the playfield and checked all the connections. All of them seemed ok (although the cabling is very, very tight, no slack at all) but one USB cable in the box at the back of the playfield was very loose. I plugged it back in but noticed it had a LOT of play in it, so added a bit of putty as temporary measure just to secure it. Restarted and all was good again. I had a decent 10-20 games, and then in the middle of one game everything froze. I rebooted and wouldn't you know it same problem starting up.

I re-secured the "problematic" usb connector and everything was good again. But - same issue came back after a while, sometimes the game wouldn't boot (freezing on PB logo screen), other times it would boot but then freeze/lock up shortly afterwards, and one time the start/launch buttons didn't work... BUT - each time I went to the cabinet and re-secured that usb connector. Only one time I saw an issue with the display screen so opened the backbox and re-secured the USB connectors there. Again - all good once they were re-secured.

In short, I think so far, almost all my issues have been with the USB connectors they just seem to jiggle loose with the (pretty bloody powerful) shaker and subwoofer. So.... the latest thing I have tried is to hot glue what I think are the troublesome usb connectors. After this, I've started up with no issues so far (only 2-3 times), and have just played about 15 games with no problems - will certainly report back on how this goes though.

Oh also, my one troublesome pop bumper LEDS work maybe 50% of the time, so undoubtedly its another bad connection somewhere. I've checked the connector from bumper to the board though and all seems good. PB have suggested I may need a new pcb board.

#7638 1 year ago

Well - as a counter to any potential negativity... I think this is one of the best games I've ever played. Yeah ok people are having issues with them - I am too... But when it's working, there's nothing like playing this with my son next to me as we're barking out Sgt Apone's quotes. The LV, while not a massive upgrade over the SV it has to be said - is still glorious.

Also I'm totally getting this tshirt for my son and I. "Get on the ready line marines!!!!"

https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/4351232-aliens-get-on-the-ready-line-marine

#7642 1 year ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Well that’s exactly what you are going to get. I’ve just got mine dialed in. Had issues with the hyper sleep ball lock. Now that it’s sorted this gam can get so intense.
Reminds me so much of the anxiety I felt when I saw it the first time all those years ago. It’s so good at putting the pressure on. I fold like a cheap suit everytime lol.
Great game great support. Keep it up Pinball Brothers

Yep, when you are in modes, or just hitting the ball around it's really suspenseful, especially if you are playing the Alien modes. Aliens is a *little* more upbeat (just like the movie)... Then when you have hypersleep or ambush multiball stacked with sentry guns and you have full weapons, it just all kicks off beautifully.

#7645 1 year ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

Finally got around to seeing what the blue 2d translite that KJS did. This is just resting in there so the led strip is very close to the back piece. The strip is not as noticeable when it’s set away a little. I just wanted to see how it looked. Very impressed.
[quoted image]

Cool I've been waiting to see when someone had installed it! It looks great even with the stock lighting.

I want to give mine a try now.

#7667 1 year ago

I have made adjustments in absolutely 100% of machines I got. All NIB by the way, needed some degree of TLC.
I spent about 4-6 hours dialing in Jurassic Park, the previous owner did not realize any of this in the 100 plays he had put in it. Some people do not care.
Minor tweaks, some more tedious than other, some things I took some precautions just because and be ahead of the game. Things came loose (posts behind ramps, upper flipper post), things were not working right (the chopper was not spinning right), code issues, and other maintenance that I take upon myself to do at that moment while the game is in service, to prevent future work for myself and wear on the game that can be immensely minimized by just being pro active.
Getting a new game is always 2-3 days of testing before it plays like it should for me. Things come always loose, nothing is ever perfect from the factory. Not to mention certain games needing to be partially disassembled to add washers in certain places or mylar (talking to you Stern) or it is too late if you did not in the first 300 games...good bye art, hello chips.
I think every game has its nuances.

This is pretty much spot on - the only game I've had new which literally required not a single adjustment was Deadpool, it really did work perfectly out of the box but I consider that a real rarity (also I don't know if eventually the pf might have worn/chipped as I didn't add any washers etc). Other new games including:

Attack From Mars Remake
Iron Maiden
Avengers IQ

... all required a few days of tweaks here and there to get things shooting perfectly. Avengers also actually ended up having an opto wire sheared in two that I had to replace, but the distributor here in Sydney had a new one out to me very quickly.

However, I'd say Alien has required maybe a tiny bit more to get it going 100%, and one of those issues meant I couldn't play the game for a day or two, because it's been less of the mechanical stuff and more of the wiring/connectors. I think it's ok now though and i would say - don't be too nervous. Good support and customer service gives you absolute peace of mind, and PB support have been pretty responsive and will get you up and running if there are issues. You most certainly will not be left with an unplayable box.

Still though, no matter what - it does kinda suck to pay so much for a machine and not have it instantly perfect out of the box. I guess these things just don't travel well.

#7668 1 year ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Just buy both.[quoted image]

Now THAT is one hell of a trio. Awesome!

#7763 1 year ago
Quoted from drypaint:

I have had this issue for months. Literally months. They told me to check the cables and fuses. Did that and didn't work. I bought new cables and it didn't work. They sent me cables and still didn't fix. They sent me a new controller box for the cabinet and still didn't fix. They sent me every new board for under the playfield, a new computer in the backbox, another new controller box, a new wire harness set. It worked for 2 days and it came back. I have since received a new motherboard, but that has not helped.
I still get the volume flicker. I am one of the early adopters from the first shipment. I have had the game for almost a year. It has been playable on a and off for a few weeks here and there.
I am ready to throw in the towel, but Cointaker said they don't offer refunds or exchanges and to take it up with PB.

Oh wow, that's really not on. I know PB support has been generally great, but seriously - almost a year on and no working machine, not to mention the money spent on the thing, the countless hours it must have taken swapping all these parts out and the frustration involved... I know a refund/return must be the absolute last resort for a pinball company, what with all the hassle of shipping a single unit. But at some point enough is enough and this far into it, logistics be damned and I'm disappointed that you haven't just been offered a new machine.

#7780 1 year ago

Timely responses are great - it gives you confidence that someone is actively trying to help. However, ultimately the goal is to keep the customer happy, and spending hours upon hours switching out every box/part/cable in the machine is going to get old *really* fast. If you replaced all those things and after all that it's still not working there really should be other arrangements made, ie refund or exchange. These are very expensive machines, you really don't want one sitting around redundant for too long.

As far as testing goes - i imagine it is done, it has to be. But there's probably a very simple checklist of what they need to test to pass it suitable for packing/delivery. I don't think they have someone rigorously playing it, testing modes and functionality - it would be more like:

- Game switches on and boots successfully
- Ball is fed into trough and launches
- Flippers work
- Coils fire, switches activate

A few ticks on a sheet, and done.

Some machines get a further test before delivery though, eg. from the distributor. My new Sterns usually have a few dimples and swirl marks where they have opened it up and played it, and it comes delivered unpacked and set up. Do I care? Hell no man - I would much rather they did that for me.

#7789 1 year ago
Quoted from drypaint:

According to PB they are hell bent that it's a connection issue. Grounding has never come up. That's a legitimate question. The ground braid seems to be connected properly. The boards are not like old school Bally, Williams, Gottlieb and Stern, but the screws apparently act as ground on most of the boards.
I have been trying to rule out faulty soldering connections that could cause shorts or possible no connection at all. My 8 year old daughter has been learning to solder and does a cleaner job.
This is just some of the handy work. The pins were left long on many of the solder points. I was thinking maybe they were making a connection to the box since they were almost as long as the standoffs. I cut them as they should be, before reinstalling.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

OMG that looks.... well let's just say "untidy"... and I'm certainly no soldering expert.

Quite honestly if I took that out of the machine, I'd assume it was faulty.

#7824 1 year ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Imo, as a coder: code that can't handle slight flakiness from the hardware is buggy code. There's obviously some hard ware issues that are leading to lockups since they keep sending out new boards to resolve the issues, but there's no reason any problem with a playfield board should result in the entire game locking up

Coder here too - completely agree.

Same goes for a few of the startup issues (depending on where in the boot sequence it goes wrong), if a certain board or function cant be contacted it shouldn't just freeze up or get stuck in a loop. It should be a bit more robust eg, retry any connection/contact that failed, then report which part couldn't be found. I've seen it do this for the IO board, so there's obviously some logic in there.

Anyway, I hope these long standing issues get resolved for everyone. Really looks like those playfield boxes are a bit on the "unreliable" side.

Just to put a little positivity back - and not to rub any salt in the wound for those with issues (and who knows my machine could develop a fault soon) - but this game, with the sound up and the lights off is really something else. In the last month I have had this, Rick and Morty and Deadpool premium all delivered. All absolutely outstanding games, and all my favorites theme-wise. However, Alien really is the first game I'll go to, just can't stay off it.

I guess when it works, it WORKS.

#7854 1 year ago

Yeah I've had 2 lock ups since updating to 2.6 - the last one was very weird I was able to start games and launch the ball, but the playfield lights were all frozen on green, and the flippers wouldn't fire. Restarted fine though.

I haven't played around with the magnet settings yet, but I think it's really just trying to overcome the design of the mech with the software. The targets are quite far away from the magnet so a rebound often just goes to far away for the magnet to catch it. The targets are obviously angled the way they are to try and coax the ball in that direction, but it's not hugely effective. When you factor in the speed, and that maybe the ball is airborne from the target its not surprising the magnet rarely catches the ball. Honestly, other mechanisms are quite similar eg the Wolverine magnet on Xmen - it's not consistent either (although its much better than this one admittedly).

I've also noticed my orbit pop ups sometimes don't work during Derelict Ship, but ALWAYS work during Queens Nest. Odd...

EDIT: also just to update I mentioned previously I was getting a lot of startup and freeze issues when I first had the game, and on inspecting a few connectors I found them to be really loose/wonky in the playfield box, and that strong shaker on startup just had to be giving those some trouble. Since glueing 3 of those in place (just a dab of hot glue) I haven't had a single startup issue in 2 weeks of solid play now.

#7881 1 year ago
Quoted from drypaint:

My machine was powering itself down when in idle or during game. Did not take long after game was booted. I would have to wait for minutes to much longer before I could re-power back on.
I had a feeling it may be thermal and felt the back of the backbox computer and it was hot.
If you have been forced to open up the backbox computer/monitor you could inadvertently cause this, I did.
Here is the fix... There are two cables that connect from the ITX board (computer) to the monitor. One or both will want to route themselves in front of the fan. One or both should be zip tied to make sure they don't pass in front. I did not make sure they were zip tied clean enough (mainly because I had to keep going in and out of the darn thing and you have to cut the zip tie each time). Nonetheless, one or both of the thick wires were making contact with the fan and keeping it from rotating.
It has been running for 7 hours with some good play and so far, so good.

Awesome man - thanks for sharing these, it's gonna help out heaps for all us owners.

Really hope the frustration will end soon, and you'll be up and running 100% (if you are not already).

#7925 1 year ago
Quoted from precisionk:

Another day, another game freeze. No ball search, just hit airlock scoop. Mode starts, timer doesn't move, ball doesn't eject from airlock.
Time goes down a little bit but hangs in the 25 second region. Eventually game mode ends, never does a ball search and ends ball. New ball starts but ball doesn't eject.
Can't get into service menu either during the freeze. Only way out is to reboot.
These random mode freezes are starting to become more frequent.

This happens from time to time with mine too.

I've also noticed now that if I leave the game on for any length of time (1-3 hours just running in attract mode) it does sometimes lock up and requires a restart.

#7948 1 year ago

I finally got around to installing Kurt's fantastic translite! To be of any competition to the quite frankly amazing LV artwork speaks volumes to its awesomeness.

Also just FYI for everyone... I had another 2 nights of issues where my machine kept locking up, freezing or restarting during play but reseating the backbox connectors (again) resolved everything. ‍♂️

20220605_162401 (resized).jpg20220605_162401 (resized).jpg20220605_162426 (resized).jpg20220605_162426 (resized).jpg
#7968 1 year ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

I really like the original LV. Won’t be changing mine out.

I agree I actually LOVE the LV artwork - but I had to see how this translite looked. When I do finally decide which one I like better on the machine (still haven't quite gone either way), the other one will be lit up and mounted next to it.

1 week later
#8027 1 year ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

So, how reliable is PBB Alien LV?
I had money stashed for Toy Story, no way I'm buying that now.
Alien looks dope; how is the reliability? Similar to an AP, Spooky or JJP?

I don't think we can hand-on-heart say it's been a reliable machine because although I'm sure there are lots of people who've never had an issue - there are many people who have had problems myself included - a small number have had serious issues yes, but nothing catastrophic for me just cables/connectors coming loose etc and one LED pcb not lighting up in the pop bumpers, so the machine has always been playable. PB sent me a replacement LED in under a week, and I know some guys who had to have new playfield IO boxes - again all received pretty quickly.

I think I'd say that currently, you may possibly have one or two issues out of the box and hopefully minor or superficial things that don't stop you playing it. BUT once any teething issues are over (IF you get any), it's fine, and I've said it before but mechanically speaking its a beast it just feels sooooo solid. The code does need a little bit of bug fixing because there is the odd lock up/freeze here and there. I haven't tried 2.7 yet maybe that's fixed some of these minor problems.

I'm so glad I picked up an LV it's a fantastic machine. In fact it's that good, I've found it hard to go back to anything else since I got it.

#8043 1 year ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

I put some dampening material that people suggest to use inside scoops or other big bounce issue locations.
It doesn't look pretty but the zeno magnet catch ratio is near 100%
If I can find this material in clear it would be perfect.
[quoted image]

Great idea! Its just a little unsightly so yeah clear may be better. So far this mech is the only thing on the game I can level any criticism at, because it very rarely catches the ball. The targets just can't direct the ball towards the magnet enough as it seems to be a bit too far away, so I don't think software tweaks will ever truly fix it. Don't get me wrong its far from game breaking - but it's the central toy of the game, and when it does happen as intended, its so unbelievably cool you just wish it could be a bit more consistent.

#8122 1 year ago

Yeah chestburster is possibly the hardest shot on the game. Vent 2 is pretty tough to hit on purpose as well.

Usually in Bug Hunt, if I have the smart gun weapon I'll use it to spot the chestburster shot.

#8132 1 year ago

What is the general consensus guys?
Those of you that have just gotten this game, has it become your fave? How do you feel it shoots?

My favorite game tends to change all the time - but at the moment, yep I would say this is in the #1 position. It really is a great game, packed with awesome shots, lots to do and themed almost perfectly. People say it doesn't shoot like a widebody, but it really does to me - it feels absolutely HUGE compared to my other games. That is definitely a good thing though in my book.

I literally have one single gripe about the machine and that's the Xeno magnet catch mech which just doesn't work as well as it should. Peeps are already working on solutions to make it more consistent though, and to be honest it hardly detracts from the game at all.

#8143 1 year ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

Works for me at the moment. I'll gladly take it off in a second if somebody can make a better option.
What are the odds pinball bros will send everyone new targets or a magical software improvement that supercharges a small magnet?

Agree - this is a physical/mechanical problem and software is only going to slightly improve it, not fix it. The ball just pings too far away from the magnet for it to have any hope of catching it.

Some sort of cool aesthetic in front of the target bank is the way to go. That effort a few posts above with the glue/alien drool is the right idea.

#8215 1 year ago

Just gotta give some more props to PB support! Yesterday morning I raised a ticket due to one of the welds on the right ramp wireform separating (the game is still perfectly playable). Got a response within 10 minutes, and a replacement is already on its way via DHL express.

I mean, that's pretty damn good service.

1 week later
#8357 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Just put deposit down…

Nice you bought the one Kurt fully modded.

Another one comes to Sydney!

#8360 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Thanks! Haven’t played one yet, but this one looks pretty cool.
Did not realise this game has the centre post have not had this since bad cats.
Looking forward to it.

Its an awesome game mate your gonna love it.

Have to say, the centre post does not help at all!

#8425 1 year ago

Absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever with the rules on this game. Its a movie pin, so heavily mode based was the right way to go, they aren't linear and 10 of them is plenty. You also get 5 really great multiballs (although never got to All Out War) plus you have some extra depth with rescue, life cycles, destroyed eggs, dropship double scoring and how you use the weapons. Couple of really great thing about the multiballs on this - you actually have a lot of control when to start them, and when they do begin it's always pretty exciting, unlike some other games.

Also agree the hypersleep shot itself is amazing!

#8446 1 year ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

Anyone else having trouble with the high scores resetting? I’ve changed the battery as per PB instructions. Still doing it. Three times it’s happened. It’s not the high score reset that’s in the settings. I alway turn that off or raise the number when I get a machine. All other game settings are not resetting. Just the scores.

I had this happen once too - which is a shame as I had a 380 million game on there that I still haven't been able to beat.

#8452 1 year ago
Quoted from RPZ:

Sure you did! It was 38ks

Oi - no impugning my Alien skills... I'll send my mate Alan round to sort you out.

Alien-PNG-File (resized).pngAlien-PNG-File (resized).png
1 week later
#8675 1 year ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

Just broke my second wire form for the ball launch.. Original welds failed at bottom closest to the launch.. the replacment (2 weeks old) just failed at 2 spots up top near ball drop. Anyone else having this wireform shit the bed?

Yep, not the launch ramp, but my right ramp also broke 2 weld joints - i think their wireform supplier really needs a bit of a talking to.

#8707 1 year ago

I absolutely love this game - so glad I took a chance on it, I think it's brilliant.

That's all I came in here to say.

#8761 1 year ago

As soon as I saw those beautiful polished chrome ramps I thought "beautiful - but that mirror finish is gonna last about 5 minutes".

Also, because the playfield is quite dark, the ball marks get pretty noticeable in the lower area by the flippers (but this is normal I think). Dimpling? Yes there is some, so don't expect you wont get any on this game.

Basically it just seems like a standard playfield so far - no better or worse than anything else I own, so just play the hell out of it like you're supposed to.

#8841 1 year ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

Did this learned group ever reach a consensus, from the several suggestions, on the most effective way to adjust or modify the targets to permit the magnet to grab the ball more consistently so the xenomorph can do its thing?
Are there any adjustments to make so that the hyper sleep ramp is hittable, more than one time in a thousand, from the upper right flipper? Other than play better?
Thanks....

I think tweaks to the magnet settings will only get you so far. The dampening solution seems to be the way forward, but i've love for someone to make a really nice looking mod to accommodate this, it seems like something really cool could be done. One of the guys in here made some "xeno drool" using hot glue I think - something like that would be amazing. Come on modders do your thing.

The hypersleep ramp is simply a hard shot - when i first got the game I was hitting it about 8 out of 10 times and wondered what all the fuss was about. Turns out it was just beginners luck, and now its dropped to about 2 out of 10. Bah.

#8909 1 year ago

I really love this game, but while the cabinet art and translite are superb, the playfield is just so bland.

It's not awful or anything, it just doesn't leap out in any way, and considering the theme and the rich content it's a real missed opportunity. Different style I know, but when I look at something like Deadpool, the playfield absolutely blows me away, there's detail everywhere. On this, the generic planets in the centre are pretty dull, and even the alien/xeno down in the flipper area is a bit disappointing as it's a bit too low-res. Now while I mention DP (which is brilliant) - I definitely would NOT have liked that totally-in-your-face style for this, but would have preferred at least one major thing that really stands out on the playfield.

#8986 1 year ago
Quoted from Jack8765:

LV-059 here. Just set up and have a blank screen. Won’t start a game. Any thoughts? Thank you.

A lot of initial problems are caused by cabling/connection issues, because the wiring is so tight - makes it easy for connectors to wriggle loose during transport. First thing I'd do is lift the playfield and reseat all the connectors in the box underneath. Then do the same in the backbox and try switching on again.

#8998 1 year ago

I'm really disappointed for those that had such a bad experience on receiving the game... Mine had problems yes, but 20 mins of faffing around with the cables and I was up and running. For those that required new playfield boxes etc, I can totally understand the frustration. This has been my favourite game in my line up by far since I received it, so really hoping all of these problems get resolved.

Also, I have nothing but praise for the service and support they've been very responsive and helpful - I can only imagine the time zones coming into it with regard to delays. I actually managed to smash my translite a few weeks back (yeah I know I dropped it on the floor, what a grade A moron). I had to pay for a new one of course, but I reported the problem and before the day ended, the new one was sent out - and I received it in less than a week. That's pretty damn amazing.

#9012 1 year ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

LV-94 has landed!
Everything is working perfectly famewise, however the coin door seems warped, almost impossible to re-lock it.
The two clasps for the lock down bar, they get trapped under the field if you pull it out and slide it back in - other folks experience that? Seems like a design flaw. Have to make sure they are “up” before sliding the field back into place.
[quoted image]

Yeah the clasp thing is super annoying! Especially since you have to screw the playfield back down! I always forget, then put the lockdown bar back on and.... DAMMIT!

#9019 1 year ago
Quoted from Mageek:

Huh I don’t screw the playfield down since I got it over a year ago, I assume those are for shipping

That's a fair point I don't think it's necessary (none of the other playfields do that). It's still annoying anyway dammit!

#9099 1 year ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

What an incredible game! Got further than I ever anticipated and it felt like a battle the entire game. Nothing feels cheap in this game, from lifecycles to weapons, each path is a risk and trying to balance those pursuits while accomplishing modes is very challenging. What an amazing game!

The modes are so well done in this game. Each one feels totally unique, and represents the scene really well.

Find Jonesy is so hard!

Also - I can't do it, but imagine getting vents 1, 2 and 3 in a row would be so satisfying in Tunnel Hunt.

#9169 1 year ago

I am starting to get cold feet again on this one, the original 2 month wait is turning into 5-6 months and now I do not know anymore... and I am now unsure if I even want anymore.
I also see people praising the game here, unboxing it and the next day -literally- I see the same person posting a for sale ad on the Facebook for sale group...
Love it love it love, best game ever the wife loves it.. BOOM, for sale AD the next day? what the heck... lol
The last few post of PF issues were a bit disheartening. As much as I have fun fixing pins I am not into doing a PF swap on a brand new game.
I was super excited to get this game 4 months ago, now I am 'whatever let's just get the next Stern'...
so what is it guys? why are some of you dropping this one like a hot potato and others loving it?
Not reliable enough? Not feeling PB is going to stick around?

I really don't understand it - it happened locally here too in Sydney to some degree, our LVs arrived, and maybe 3 weeks later there were 3 or 4 for sale. Doesn't seem like a lot, but only a limited number would have been shipped here. I put it down to maybe folks not being prepared for the way it plays. It's slow, creepy and suspenseful and nothing like a typical Stern. I wonder if some people just got put off because they were expecting a fast, bright and breezy game. It's pretty tough too, and can be brutal at times.

There's absolutely no way in hell I'd sell mine now though - it's a phenomenal game. As an Alien fan there's really not a lot I would change on it. The music/soundfx are superb, the animations and movie assets are there and used well, the rules/code/modes are really well done, and there are SO MANY shots packed into it. I think the only thing I was a little down on (and I've mentioned this before) is the playfield art which is a touch too plain. It's not bad, don't get me wrong but its just a bit meh compared to the cabinet and (absolutely amazing) translite.

#9172 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

If your game is playing slow I'd highly encourage you to check your flipper gaps and playfield angle. I was struck by how slow it was out of the box and a few tweaks had it playing like any other pin.

I don't think my game is playing slow as such... It's just that compared to my other games eg Deadpool, Iron Maiden, Rick and Morty it just isn't such a manic, super rapid game. It's a plus point for me, I love the way it's not so fast paced - goes much better with the theme.

2 weeks later
#9555 1 year ago

I'm trying to adjust my airlock scoop as the ball is consistently fired towards the very end of the left flipper, and often I will drain as a result, as it's just not possible to control the ball. The PB support article mentions bending the scoop a little, but I'm giving it quite a bit of effort - it's not bending, and honestly, I feel like I'm gonna break it. Is this definitely the way to go about it? Are there any other things people have done?

#9623 1 year ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I also purchased the Aussie alt translite from NStone. The pictures I've seen of this mod were a lot brighter and popped so I figured the mod likely came with lighting strips as well.
Can those that have this translite comment if it was supposed to come with lighting strips? If not, suggestions on how to make it light up? It is dark the way it came and given how dark the playfield area is as well, I need to do something to brighten it up.
[quoted image]

The translite doesn't come with lighting strips, but Kurt sends you some decent instructions on what to buy and how to install them.

Actually as a quick test, I simply left the backbox lighting as it is (the led strip in the centre), then just plugged in a USB powered strip (into one of the PC USB slots) and stuck it around the edges of the backbox. It's probably not as bright, or as good as what Kurt suggests, but for me that worked just fine, so I left it like that, and it literally took about 5 minutes.

1 week later
#9748 1 year ago

Finally had an absolute belter on this yesterday! I cant be 100% sure as there was a lot going on, but I think I had a crazy chunk of this score by getting hypersleep multiball and Sentry Guns with 2x scoring. I then proceeded to completely nail shot after shot on hypersleep MB, culminating in some crazy super jackpot of 100 million (with my son shouting "wow dad you've revived everyone!" ha ha). Used the weapons really well too - saved a drain by using the flamethrower and another with the shotgun to start ambush MB - and on one drain I saved myself by using the smart gun to start hypersleep AND get an extra ball - it was amazing!

Finished Aliens, got all MBs except All Out War (ambush and sentry guns twice) and got through 2 Alien missions. Completely screwed up Save Newt and several of the modes so there's huge scope to get well over a billion! Wow love love LOVE this game..!

alienscore (resized).jpgalienscore (resized).jpg

1 week later
#9940 1 year ago
Quoted from BriannaWu:

This just came today. I don’t think there’s any question this is the best looking out of all 8 of my machines.
Initial impressions: Stunning sound design. Feels like a lot of flipper fade. Shooting feels imprecise and weird.
[quoted image]

It takes a bit of getting used to for sure. Plus, I had to dial up the power quite a bit on my flippers as they simply felt too weak to make shots consistently out of the box. I also had to do the same to the slings as they were pretty limp by default. Now it shoots like a dream.

2 weeks later
#10263 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Inlane switch -> opposing orbit (e.g. left inlane -> right orbit) should catch the ball in the bumpers and give you 5X pop bumper scoring... I believe the orbit arrow briefly flashes green for this, and the bumpers show up differently in lighting and/or on-screen status. (Sorry, I'm blanking on the details right now, but that's the gist of it.)

I think also once you've dropped APC targets the orbits will start to divert into the pops even without an opposing inlane -> orbit shot? Or am I imagining that....?

3 weeks later
#10732 1 year ago
Quoted from DropGems:

Upper right flipper is permanently stuck up. Help pls… Noob at fixing pinball shit.

First thing to check is if the coil return spring is broken under the playfield (the spring that pulls the flipper back to it's resting position). This has happened to all 4 of my flippers on Alien, and it's the only game i've ever had this happen on at all.

If you can move the flipper without it springing back down, that's the problem. If so, it's an easy fix, you can just hook the (broken) spring back on using another loop, but you should order some spares in the meantime as these factory ones are clearly prone to breaking.

#10743 1 year ago
Quoted from DropGems:

Ok thx guys. Will check and report back. So if it won’t spring back, I can fix it without buying a new part (spring), correct?

If the spring did indeed break, you can get around it by just hooking over/re-attaching another one of the spring loops - that will do just fine until you get a replacement.

If the spring actually came off the flipper mech when it broke (it has done once or twice on mine), you may have to search around the bottom of the cabinet to find it again.

#10863 1 year ago

This is an absolutely brilliant game, no question - and it's nice to see it get a little reputation boost being at #1 because it deserves a lot more credit than it gets. I don't think I've ever been so surprised by how good a game is - I really didn't expect it to shoot so damn good and come together so well as a package... Is it objectively better than some of my other games? I honestly don't know, Maiden, DP, Elvira, R&M really do take some beating - but the theme and the way its been implemented is incredible.

Same goes for Halloween - it's literally like playing through the movie. These games are really raising the bar for theme integration, and I've been really enjoying the change of pace/style from my Stern games. Good times...

#10872 1 year ago

Yeah a sudden rush to pull it down is truly pathetic, but sadly inevitable.

Doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game in any way shape or form, but it's still annoying no matter what that some people feel the need to do this kind of thing.

#10890 1 year ago

Yep a few issues initially out of the box with connectors wiggling loose but that's about it. My LV has been (and still is) awesome.

#10998 1 year ago

Ugh... I know it shouldn't bother me but it's really starting to now... Not only the sudden slew of ratings under 4/5, but all the reviews that some of us took time to actually write properly and be informative are now suddenly being flagged.

I shouldn't care - I love this machine and I feel lucky to own one, but its so disappointing to see such petty stupidity and ignorance. Why has my review been flagged? It's not like I didn't take the time to justify my rating with a lengthy explanation of why I thought it was so good....? On the other hand we have ratings of 2 or 3 out of 10 with absolutely no comment or justification. Or 4/10 ratings from people who've barely played the machine, or played one on location and it's had a fault.

I know we have trolls everywhere and I know people are doing it just to bring the rating down - it was always going to happen. But... I can't help it, it's bothering the sh*t out of me - I actually want more people to give this game a fair shake and not get turned off by completely bogus comments and ratings.

Ok deep breath... rant over - this game is amazing.

#11001 1 year ago

Im not sure flagging actually does anything and usually I'm not bothered in the slightest - I just don't like the way the game is being artificially down voted and ALL the positive reviews are being flagged, even some of the more thought out ones. Yes the negative ones are being flagged too, thats because there's no justification for it. If I review a game to be 4/10 it would have to have an awful lot wrong with it. So why not at least explain the rating?

On the other hand I (and others) take 20 mins to do a thoughtful write up detailing why we think its great, and some a-holes flag it? Why exactly? I thought I explained my rating pretty well, I didn't just slap a 10 rating on it with no comment (i didnt btw - it's not a 10/10 game, nothing is really, but this one is right up there).

#11003 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I think there must be some kind of ratio because I’ve seen bogus reviews completely disappear after I’d say…about 15 flags?

I think that's just a default filter on the ratings view, I'm not sure it actually invalidates that score from the overall rating. You can view all ratings by turning off the filters (eg by default it only shows ratings with comments).

#11008 1 year ago

I agree - GZ is actually a fantastic game - and I could never give it a bad review, plus besides that just makes us the same as all the idiots who dragged this game down for the hell of it. But the crap that's gone on for this one has really got to me, because it's genuinely a fantastic game and I really think it deserves to be in the top 10-20. Now I think it's actually lower than its ever been - so yes it does show the rating system up as being totally controllable by the wrong sort of people, which is a real shame.

We shouldn't care, but we do because we are passionate about our hobby. I know its only a top 100 list, but people have worked damn hard on this game and it deserves some plaudits... Plus, it's not just because of the low ratings, but to me it's also because it shows there are still such idiotic people around in this forum. It would have eventually settled into its own true rating, but now that's not gonna be possible.

#11064 1 year ago

Yeah there's definitely an issue with the wiring harnesses being too tight and connectors wiggling loose. I definitely had to re-connect everything on the playfield box (inside the cabinet) and the PC (behind the backglass/translite), and ultimately I've glued some in place because they would actually work themselves loose again (had no issues since).

However, I also think having almost zero play in the wiring could also be pulling too hard on connectors and damaging the hardware in some cases. It sure does look neat but it sure is causing some problems.

#11082 1 year ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

Figures.. squeeze in a quick game, normal settings, 3 ball, etc. before zoom call.... crush my high score and miss the call. Oh well gotta have priorities right. All out war and half way back again. When it is dialed in, it is a beast. Games like this are a unicorn. Most are as shown.[quoted image]

Holy cow, that's an absolutely amazing score - stars must have all aligned for that one!

I love when that happens - I had a similar game on R&M last night - totally annihilated my GC and it felt AMAZING...

#11193 1 year ago

If the ball enters the scoop from the back/orbit, I think older versions of the code treat it as a normal scoop shot so will start modes (mine does this, as I'm not on the latest version). I believe they may have removed that in later code versions though.

#11216 1 year ago
Quoted from DropGems:

Yea but there’s no code for it currently right?

It only does this on code 2.6 and releases before that. I think 2.7 changed the way this functions and removed the mode start if the scoop is hit from behind the xeno (basically it no longer counts as an airlock shot).

#11218 1 year ago
Quoted from benime:

Gotta say, Alien doesn't feel 'cheaply made' compared to Stern, JJP, and Spooky. Compared to CGC or Dutch Pinball? In that case, yes, but I think those two are the closest to the height of Bally/Williams heyday. Their cabs feel solid, use great parts, and have great overall fit and finish. Seriously, my MMR LE and TBL are solid like an old Volvo.
My Rush LE from earlier this year came broken (CPU Node board in backbox was DOA, no idea how that passed QC) and took two months to get going thanks to jumping through hoops with Stern Support and my distributor. You can see the plywood grain through the paint/clear, and after a couple hundred plays it's dimpled to shit. Not saying I don't love my Rush LE, but it's not what I expect from a manufacturer that has decades of experience.
I can forgive PBros quality issues, this is their first release. Stern, on the other hand, has zero excuse.
As an aside, my Alien LV has had zero issues outside of some minor complaints (software a little buggy, flipper buttons feel mushy), but most of it is easily remedied.

I've had one or two issues with the game yes, but I gotta say I find this machine to feel waaaaaay more of a premium standard than any of my other pins (including my Stern premiums lol), it's just so solidly built. I absolutely love the way the playfield isn't broken up with rollover switches and everything is sensed from underneath - what other manufacturer has done that? Yes that may have maintenance repercussions later on, but there have been zero ball hangups, shots not registering etc. The sound system is bloody amazing, the display is great, the cabinet is built well, the sculpts and toys are extremely high quality and the armour/powdercoating feels superb.

Also quick mention but Spooky machines also have really amazing scuplts and toys, I think both PB and Spooky get their stuff done by Back Alley Creations, which would explain it.

#11228 1 year ago

I will definitely agree with this - you buy a NiB Stern, more often than not you will be setting it up and playing it without any issues right away. Yes I know some people have problems, but when you look at the sheer number of games Stern pump out the chance of getting any issue is so much smaller. I've had 4 NiB Sterns and I had one (minor) issue with an opto wire on Avengers, the others were fully playable out of the box and have been so ever since (ok I had one LED board failure in IMDN, but that was 18 months after I bought it).

I cant speak for American Pinball I never owned one - but with Alien, yes I've had a few issues and with Halloween yes I've had a few issues. Ultimately everything is working now, these games are bloody amazing, and even with the issues I wouldn't change them for anything. BUT I would still say they are certainly not any more cheaply built than a Stern - both Halloween and Alien are rich with mechs and sculpts and actually put most Sterns to shame with their quality. They just aren't up to the general build manufacturing process/standard of a company like Stern *just yet*, but is that any surprise? Stern have like 40 years of pinball manufacturing behind them - give these newer guys a chance, more manufacturers means more pins like Alien and Halloween, which is a huge plus point in my book.

Edit: of course getting any issues out of the box is hugely frustrating, and some of us have been more lucky than others in this regard. But that's where great customer service comes in, and PB have been 100% amazing.

#11284 1 year ago

Yeah my right ramp welds broke too - they really need to find a better wireform guy.

Credit to PB though they had a new one out to me within the space of a week (and to get it here to Australia that's really quick).

#11337 1 year ago

I've had nightmares about that xeno tongue mech... Seriously the noise it makes at startup when it calibrates itself is like nails down a chalkboard.

#11347 1 year ago

Awesome thanks for sharing! Also just FYI if you are replacing that rubber it can wear again pretty quickly as its a high impact area - so some of us (can't remember who suggested it first) have reinforced it a little by cutting sections from a post sleeve and putting them above/below the rubber (see pic).

20221201_095749 (resized).jpg20221201_095749 (resized).jpg
#11350 1 year ago

Code updates are always welcome, but not sure what else they could add really... 10 modes and 5 multiballs including mini wizards is more than most games would have anyway. This game can be an absolute ass kicker, but I reckon it's the one game in my line up where I can progress quite far more consistently. As opposed to games like IMDN where I aaaaaalmost get to the end, then proceed to have 10 games in a row where I don't even manage to complete one mode.

Perhaps they could add a little bit more incidental stuff when you are in open play (ie, not locked into a mode or MB), but that's about it, and there is already rescue, lifecycles, collecting weapons, completing drop ship, destroying eggs etc... Hmmmm listing it out, it really does seem pretty complete.

#11360 1 year ago

As far as support goes, I think right now I would put PB at the very top of the list. I've needed 2 parts sent out for my Alien, both times my email was responded to within a day, and the part was then sent same day via DHL Express to Australia and I got them a few days later. Absolutely faultless really.

#11361 1 year ago

Holy crap literally just as I posted that I heard a horrendous electrical spluttering from my Alien and the whole machine is dead, with a distinct smell of burning in the air. I guess I'll be contacting support again myself.

#11376 1 year ago

I just want to say here.... My machine went down on Friday, I sent an email to PB and they responded within the hour and since then Andrea has made a video for me to help troubleshoot, and offered to arrange a Skype call early next week. As far as service goes - again, I couldn't be happier. Yes a machine going down really sucks but knowing you have the support to get you back up makes all the difference.

#11472 1 year ago

For me I loved it immediately because i'm such a massive Alien fan and it's themed amazingly well, but I did find the enjoyment going up up a (big) notch when I started to learn how to use the weapons effectively, how eggs/lifecycles etc affect scoring, using dropship double scoring, start rescue mode etc. You'll eventually get a game where you'll use the shotgun or the smart gun to save drains and stuff like that - in fact the smart gun used at the right time can save a drain, start Hypersleeep Multiball and get an extra ball at the same time - real fist pumping moment. Stuff like that makes the game really come alive.

#11501 1 year ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Please let us in on this triple play

It was just blind luck first time I did it - I had a ball locked in hypersleep, and also had extra ball lit. The ball was draining and sometimes I'll use the shotgun or smart gun as it can save the drain by starting a multiball for you (eg, shotgun can start Ambush MB if you only need 2 more xeno hits).

Anyway, I used the smart gun, and the game gifted me the Hypersleep shot - which started the multiball, thereby saving the drain and also awarded me the extra ball. It was bloody amazing! I've managed to do it a couple more times since then.

#11540 1 year ago

Jeeeeez... I had a monster game on this last night! Ambush multiball x3, Hypersleep multiball x2 I even started Save Newt twice. Completed Self Destruct - and only 2 modes away from All Out War, had 3 extra balls, used about 10 weapons it was epic. BUT - i only got half of my best GC score! I must have absolutely sucked in the modes and multiballs.

Seriously this game is brilliant.

Also have to mention - I had an issue with my playfield controller box shorting out (mentioned it a little while back). I reported the issue a week ago Friday - Andrea from PB made me a video to look at over the weekend to check everything, so I found the shorted box. The replacement was sent immediately via express through warranty and I had it 4 days later. He also threw in a couple of spare slingshot plastics. Best customer service anywhere beyond a shadow of a doubt from these guys. I'm actually tempted to look at ordering a Queen from them...

#11556 1 year ago
Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

ok thanks.
What about this chest burster shot? that is so tight its unreal... even harder than the "O" shot of JP.
I already pulled the Target to the side so its easier. Any hint for making it easier?

Definitely the hardest shot in the game - but probably easier from the mid left flipper as someone has already mentioned. If I'm really having trouble with this shot I'll hit orbits into the pops instead - then if the ball exits the pops to the right very often it'll award the chest burster shot. (This might be a setting, but I've never changed it from default).

#11639 1 year ago

I'm still on 2.6 (lol) because I've never really had any issues and I didn't want to change anything. If I want to install 3.1 do I need to install all delta updates (the name obviously suggests that I do)?

#11768 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

Starting to get into this game a bit, still have to trap and look at the screen, i'm missing call outs where there should be call outs after completing a phase to tell me what to shoot next.
Just stacked loader battle with sentry guns and ambush for a fun multi, but no idea what i should be hitting in any of those multi's as i can't take my eyes of the bottom flippers being a blow average player.
PB, i know you are reading, please take it on board for the callouts once all the bugs are fixed, location players and dumb stoned fucks like me like verbal cues, especially when there is no time to look up.
To balance with positive, the game is growing on me and i'm recommending it to my friends, quite enjoying it and playing it a fair bit.

This is a bit of a problem on the game - once you learn each mode it becomes a non-issue, but yeah really only learning the mode shots will help. The only mode I had a real problem with on Alien was Find Jonesy where I couldn't see for the life of me what to hit. But then I realised that's the whole point. Also it's one mode you cannot take into multiball (same with Acid Burn - you'll fail them almost immediately).

I mentioned it before, but the multiball and mode stacking really lift this game - I do love the way it goes from slow/tense to complete balls out action, then back to being relatively quiet again.

#11778 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Find Jonesy is fricking amazing and perfect.

Quoted from Mageek:

Just trap up and wait for the Meow ! IMO way better than Shoot Here and Here

Once you figure out that you have to trap, wait and look for the shot when you hear the meow... yep it's brilliant! A lot easier too.

#11855 1 year ago
Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

Whats a good score on this game and what are your GCs? I feel like i could get over a billion, but i guess thats not very good.
I try to collect weapons and make use of them by setting up multiballs beforehand.
As I loose a ball i use the weapon and the multiball starts. (Shotgun for Xenomorph multiball, Smart collect for Hypersleep multiball)
How do you make use of the weapons?
Anyone has a link of a very good player destroying the game, à la Karl DeAngelo?

Sounds like you have the hang of the weapons already! The handgun is a bonus multiplier of sorts and I've found the best use of that is when you have managed to complete a few scenes (the scene bonuses at end of ball can be quite large). Shotgun and Smart Gun definitely best used to save drains by starting multiballs. I try and set up stacked multiballs with Sentry Gun and use the pulse rifle for double scoring there. Flamethrower is self explanatory its just a ball save.

I haven't cracked a billion on this yet my GC is only 580 million. I'm trying to figure out what the advantage is to completing lifecycles before starting Ambush multiball apparently they affect the jackpot values? Possibly the same with the number of destroyed eggs when you start Queens Nest mode I'm not 100% sure.

#11901 1 year ago

So... Is the general consensus on this so far that if I am on 2.6 with zero issues it's really not worth updating? I'm kind of curious about the additional action on the beacons, the smoother/faster Xeno tongue and doing something about that earthquake-inducing shaker on startup.

1 month later
#12725 1 year ago

When I’ve logged two tickets it’s taken 2-3 days PER response! Yes I understand I’m in Australia but seriously there should be no reason to not have a response within 12 hours. I once responded 5 minutes after their message to me to wait 3 days for a response.

It must be dependant on their workload I guess because the 3 tickets I’ve raised have all had very quick responses even with the time difference (sometimes within 30 mins). Plus they've never given a quick brush off response just to buy more time, they've always been very helpful.

Also, when they say they are going to send something, they send it straight away - and then it comes via express international courier within days. Last time the package also contained some extra freebie slingshot plastics.

#12775 1 year ago

I did have a couple of issues when I first got the game where occasionally it would go into the scoop or the Muther saucer and the ball would stay there and simply not fire out. The ball search wouldn't activate either though so I'd have to reboot.

It hasn't happened for months now and I think it may have been a bad or intermittent connection/cable plus maybe the software couldn't handle it (I'm still on 2.6 but maybe that one upgrade from factory fixed it).

#12804 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunder22:

I received shipment yesterday. Holy shitballs! This game is the shit. Every time I walk away to grab another beer I am laughing out loud. Looks like I will need to adjust the spinners as they are rejecting the ball! Played about 20 games and everything else seems legit. LV-353.

I get a real kick out of hearing others discover this amazing game. There's nothing like grabbing a beer, turning out the lights, cranking up the volume and saddling up with this bad boy. When you have a great game on it - multiballs going off, weapons being used, sentry guns blazing, xeno's exploding, wow you really do need to take a breather... (and then play it again obviously).

1 week later
#12927 1 year ago

I still haven't had any issues running with 2.6, but the updates appear to have a lot of fixes for potential crashes etc, plus with the shaker startup changes and the changes to the xeno mech I'm beginning to think I should go ahead.

Quick question - the updates are called deltas, so does that mean I have to install each update in turn to get ALL of the changes and fixes? It kind of suggests that if I jump straight to 3.2 it will only give me 3.2 updates, and not all the ones that went before?

1 week later
#13111 1 year ago

Weapons really can be key in this game - I made another post about it somewhere, but they are super useful depending on when they are used. Shotgun for example spots 2 xeno hits - so if you drain needing 1 or 2 xeno hits to start Ambush, hitting shotgun will start the MB and save your ball.

The absolute best weapon use is smart gun when you have hypersleep multiball ready to go and extra ball lit. One game, I just hammered all the weapon buttons when I was losing ball 3 (just in total desperation), and instead of game over, i started hypersleep and got awarded the extra ball it was awesome!

Also handgun is pretty valuable of you manage to complete a few scenes, as the scene bonuses can get quite big.

There are some killer rules in this game when you dive into it. Maybe Ferret can confirm but is it true that more lifecycles complete before starting ambush will increase the jackpots? Also do number of eggs destroyed affect modes such as Queens Nest?

#13137 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

Update was succesful yesti, thanks to paulbaptise and shawn, but bugger, this morning i have a login screen.
[quoted image]

I had that happen to me after I updated to 3.2 - but I restarted again and strangely enough it's never re-appeared since. Is it happening every time you start it up?

Edit: looks like someone else had this issue too ^^

#13178 1 year ago

At least they toned it waaaaaaaaay down in the last update. It used to shake itself apart when you powered the machine on!

#13186 1 year ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

My LV shakes my entire 2 story house, and it ennoys me as well..If it were a small shake, I wouldn't GAF..but if people are sleeping and you want to play an early morning game, 'we've got problems'. Seems like its a 'normal' thing to bitch about..I think you took it too far dude.

Just update to the latest code/firmware and it won't do this any more. The xeno mech is also a lot smoother.

#13191 1 year ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

never try to fix a running game! Outside of the shaker biz, the machine is 100%..so that would be a hard pill to swallow atm..*but thanks for the tip anyways* I actually like the noisy xeno mech; reminds me of the queen hissing..probably the coolest first impression when I first saw Aliens, in the theater, back in '86 (I was only 12 when I saw it

I fully understand this - I stayed on 2.6 for aaaaaaages because my game was running perfectly ok and I was a little nervous to change anything. Eventually took the plunge, updated to 3.2 and the new FW - and bingo my 2 annoyances with startup have gone, and if anything the game seems to run a little better now (not quite sure how exactly)? One thing is for certain, my xeno certainly appears to successfully grab the ball more often!

Seriously, with the issues I had initially with this game ie, cables coming loose etc, that massive shaker blast on startup couldn't have been doing the machine any good.

#13286 1 year ago
Quoted from timbo74:

Hey guys,
Still having problems with my LV. Launch shooter, lower flippers and slings all no go. Switch test shows all ok. Coil test - auto launch coil doesn’t fire, all others fire perfectly.
I’m in the midst of a lengthy support ticket, but Sweden/Australia time zones are not compatible at all so it’s a slow, 24hr back and forth process.
Have opened both control boxes, can’t see anything that looks amiss (no burn marks etc, everything pugged in solidly), but this happened all once, so I don’t expect it’s individual wires or faulty coils (especially because they all fire during the tests).
Any ideas? They’ve been great with support, but I thought maybe some of you have had similar?
Cheers

timbo74 I don't think I've seen anyone have that specific problem - definitely would seem to be a cable or connection problem, or maybe even a fuse? Saying that if a fuse had gone, the coils wouldn't fire in test mode. It's a strange one for sure.

Very long shot, but maybe it's software related? Have PB asked you to reinstall the software or anything like that?

They'll get you up and running no matter what, those guys are the best. Just might have to be a bit patient because yep - the time difference really sucks for us.

1 week later
#13379 1 year ago

Has anyone installed Mezel mods Hypersleep chamber? After realising my backbox light is out, I checked all the cabling and I found that the power adapter I bought with the chamber doesn't have a corresponding pin connection for the backbox LED strip, so when i use the adapter cable, it powers the hypersleep and side blade lights fine, but I get no backbox lighting.

Anyone else get this, or do I just have a faulty cable?

#13405 1 year ago

Ah - might have to get in touch with Mezel then, I guess the cables aren't quite right.

#13459 1 year ago

I think its been mentioned on here before - but is it confirmed that pulling power from the CPU USB port is a no-no? I want to just add some 5v LED lighting and it would just be super easy to use the USB port?

#13493 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

No other issues. After I unplugged the 2 led strips from the usb ports the problem went away. I instead got a y splitter that I plugged into the cord that plugs into the PSU and put a power strip inside the cab that has usb port power 2. I plug in the 2 led strips and my pinstadiums into the power strip and now also have a service outlet for my soldering tools.
A lot cheaper than having to replace the computer on Alien down the line for over heating..
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=41094&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PMax:+Smart+Shopping+Monoprice+-+Power+%26+Surge+Cables&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&hsa_acc=6614305189&hsa_cam=17499847838&hsa_grp=&hsa_ad=&hsa_src=x&hsa_tgt=&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2cWgBhDYARIsALggUhrZLwHhsEiPNbAEUwEK0-5pB_dtPl-7FVHBqqF2xJKEhZjvakpQIkAaAq2MEALw_wcB

Sorry to sound totally dumb (I definitely am when it comes to anything electrical), but just to be clear, you simply tapped off the power to the internal psu with that Y splitter, then added a regular power strip/board (with usb outputs) inside the cab? If so did you need a mains socket adapter like this one (imagine its for a US plug, not an Australian one):

https://www.jaycar.com.au/iec-c14-male-to-3pin-mains-socket-150mm/p/PS4100?gclid=CjwKCAjw_MqgBhAGEiwAnYOAei1jbjFG8tOaL_xINbgiMLHKv-bWu9Rg62kBae4dq4E0mMWPGrf_bhoCwoEQAvD_BwE

Thanks!

#13510 1 year ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

Maybe best to ask folks what they would like before spending many hours on a stab in the dark? Being real.

To be fair he did state this is just for him and it's not for sale.

1 week later
#13609 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunder22:

It took 21 weapons to get there!
[quoted image]

Nice score!

This game is definitely a billion pointer if everything comes together. I've got a few machines now that absolutely transform into something else entirely when you light them up:

Alien
Rick and Morty
Jurassic Park

Already really great machines - but damn when you get in the zone and hit all your shots over and over again, they become transcendent (is that the right word lol)!

1 week later
#13694 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

So glad I stuck with this machine!!! Just finished self destruct for the first time. Stage 1 got it in the airlock just as counter finished, last stage just as counter was on 1. So satisfying!! Wish there was some call out to say you finished but seeing that filthy xeno flying out the airlock, real achievement for me. Only finished tunnel hunt so score wasn’t off the charts. Used weapons at key times so starting to get the hang of it. Smart weapon in first stage of self destruct really helped.
Had this for sale and no luck. Glad I didn’t sell it. Good to play pinball and be a buzz with excitement afterwards.

I managed to finish Self Destruct for the first time a few days ago it was bloody awesome! Did imagine it or did I get a sort of "victory lap" style multiball after finishing it???

I also finished Bug Hunt for the first time too - that's probably the hardest mode for me!

1 week later
#13797 1 year ago
Quoted from pbboy:

Hi Alien owners - I just procured an Alien SV that was working well when I tried it, after moving home it had trouble booting - it got stuck on the "Pinball Brothers" boot screen. I reseated cables, especially the USBs. I found a purple wire with a spade lug hanging - any idea if this should be connected somewhere?[quoted image]

That looks like the wire for the custom apron mod that goes to the spare lug on the muthr scoop switch (it connects from a little aux board that gets installed under the playfield). I don't think having that disconnected will cause your game to not boot up though, it's possibly some other issue. Does the apron light up when you power on the game?

1 month later
#14030 11 months ago

I'd also like to chime in and say the level of support and service I've had on this machine is outstanding, both from Shawn and Andrea. Always respond quickly, and always helpful (ie, not just responding with some arbitrary answer to buy some time).

When my controller box went out, Andrea suggested a Skype call, and when I wasn't immediately available, he made a video overnight of what to check and how to do it. Also whenever I've had parts sent to me from PB it has always come via DHL express and arrives within days, not weeks - even out here in Australia. Such fantastic service - nothing but praise from me.

#14071 11 months ago

Kurt's translites are amazing for Alien - everyone who sees mine comments on how cool it looks.

I keep swapping Kurts and the factory one back and forth every once in a while because I love the artwork on the factory one too.

Also one thing I really, really like about the factory one is the way the attract mode video blends in with the translite - that is such a subtle but nice effect from PB.

1 week later
#14105 10 months ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Was just surprised to hit a super jackpot and not have any sort of indication, speech or music, that something special had happened.

Ambush multiball super jackpot gives you Vasquez shouting "LETS ROOOOCCKKK"! That's about a billion times better than a regular call out.

#14110 10 months ago

How do you guys stage the ball to get to that shot?
Is it the orbits the best bet hoping for a shot off the upper right flipper?

Yep - with multiball being so chaotic I wait to her the pops going off then try and keep one eye on the ball rolling out to the upper right flipper. I actually find that shot harder than the hypersleep ramp.

3 weeks later
#14226 10 months ago

I think with the SV/LV comparison - my take on it was the LV looks more in line with Aliens, and the SV looks more Alien-like. Given that I love Aliens more, I naturally went for the LV. Not only did I prefer the colour and artwork - but the little extras really made it for me, especially the lit blades - and I don't think they brighten the game too much - just give it a cool moody glow.

#14229 10 months ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

This should have been an option in the code.

I agree with this. Even though I have an Alien LV, I consider myself a generally premium buyer, unless in the rare cases that I must have something that is exclusive to the LE. Typically, it's cosmetic (Sterns, for sure), and I prefer giving the LE treatment to a premium to fit my personal taste.

I'm the same - especially with Sterns, I do like to buy premiums and essentially customise them to LE level and beyond with my own preferences. I'd say all my Stern premiums now are arguably better than LEs. However there are some things you just can't get for your premium... Backglasses for one and some of those LE mirrored backglasses really are sublime. Cosmetic crap yes I know, but such lovely cosmetic crap all the same.

However, for some themes I would definitely spend the extra cash on the limited edition, and when I saw the Alien LV there was only one option for me.

Ultimately you can't go wrong with either one, it's such a great atmospheric game and you are getting that no matter what your trim is.

#14235 10 months ago

Yep happened to me as well - but luckily I could still play the game, and got a replacement wireform through warranty from PB. Which duly arrived a few days later. I'm always surprised at their (ludicrous) speed in sending things out.

2 months later
#14673 7 months ago

It may be not be the proper way to do it, but I just used 4 L brackets I had lying around. Screwed 2 each side to the inside of the backbox (just be careful and have them all lined up), then just used some velcro peel and stick strips on the back panel and the L bracket and it's worked fine. Also I have 2 of Kurts translite images, and it's super easy just to pull them out and swap over whenever I feel like it.

#14677 7 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Ok thanks. Is there a reason that you cant just velcro the images to the backbox itself? I bought two images also.
Just trying to make sense of how it all fits together. I havent tried installing yet.

I have LED strips installed on the back panel of the backbox, so I can't just stick the panel directly to it. You could maybe just stick the image directly to the *sides* of the backbox, but that doesn't seems like it would be vary stable. You could try it though - you might get it to work in some way. Note that you do need some decent clearance between the image panel, and any LEDs that are on the back of the backbox, I would imagine sticking the panel too close to any LED strips will generate a lot of heat (not good).

It'll all make sense when you install, ultimately it's not a big job no matter which way you do it.

2 weeks later
#14798 7 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

The SV is so dark so I spent some time today making a few lighting enhancements. I didn’t want to have anything too bright and ruin the dark theme. The backbox was severely underlit, the top half was totally dark so I added a strip along the middle top to illuminate it. The backboard area also was way too dark so I added some blue and green accents. Finally finished with a blue trough light. To keep the brightness down, I added a dimmer and set it at about half power. I also used an external power supply as I’m still not sure about what this game can and cannot handle so the LEDs are always lit, but I think blend in pretty well. The backboard looks a little washed out in the pic, but it’s just the camera struggling to capture the detail.
Before and after pics.

Very nice job there - its subtle but an obvious improvement, and the back box look way better wow.

#14816 7 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Its interesting that people say this. I have zero problems with the flippers on Alien..

Same here - I did find them a bit sluggish out of the box, but increased the power a bit and they felt great ever since!

#14850 7 months ago

I did get a bit of Stern fatigue a while back so branched out and bought a few AP pins and some Spooky's and I think my collection is so much better for it. That said, I'm really enjoying Bond I think it's utterly amazing, and when I played Venom it actually reminded me of a Brian Eddy game, not necessarily a Stern one. If that makes any sense at all.

I have 3 pins I don't think I ever want to sell - Alien, Halloween and Iron Maiden. All amazing for very different reasons, and boy do they shoot/play differently to each other. (If I ever get a massive space, I'd also like to keep Oktoberfest forever because I think its the most crazy bonkers game I've ever had - in a good way).

Alien to me is a whole package, it shoots great for a widebody, its atmospheric, its themed so well I love that they used the first 2 (and best) movies and it has great some mechs. To me it's outstanding.

This is coming from someone who's just sold Deadpool and Elvira HoH - again both amazing, incredible games I'd like to get back again one day - but they weren't getting played anymore.

So basically - yep totally agree everyone's different.

2 weeks later
#15094 6 months ago

As long as all this new stuff is available to buy for our LVs this is nothing but fantastic news.

Loader battle art does sound quite cool, but I do love the LV. So if the new one isn't knock-my-socks-off fantastic, I'll be very happy to just upgrade my LV with the new toys.

#15229 6 months ago

I think this is exactly how you do a re-release of a game - giving it some improvements, while keeping the price firmly reigned in and still keeping your LV owners happy. Stern should definitely be taking some notes.

I like the new artwork, although hiding Ripley's face is a bit mystifying to me as well since its a Ripley Edition machine. The new Art of Pinball stuff looks amazing, but the apron isn't a patch on the custom one currently available.

Can't wait to see the topper, I'm sure its gonna be a must-have for me. Excellent job PB, I hope this will get more people playing this amazing game.

#15244 6 months ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Not cool for SV owners, though. I bought a NIB SV a few years back which I still own and paid more for. SV owners matter too and this isn't cool IMO.

Yes, I guess I can see that side of it, but there's no way I can agree that Stern's cash grabbing, LE devaluing Super LE's/Anniversary Editions are a science.

Like the LV owners you still get to purchase the extras if you choose to (yes I know it's yet more money you have to spend and that's a definite negative) and only miss out on the new cabinet artwork, because I'm pretty sure you'd be able to buy the translite if you wanted to. We also get the new updated code which is awesome for everyone.

So yeah, I actually still maintain they've done it the right way.

#15431 6 months ago

I really hope some toppers are made available for us here in Oz, because that looks terrific.

#15462 6 months ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Where do you get one in europe? Only pbusa seems to be the webshop?

Yeah I'm trying to find out the situation for Australia too - with the toppers so limited I kind of want to order one sooner rather than later.

#15723 6 months ago
Quoted from Greaseman:

It's great hearing folks are seriously considering (or have already ordered) the Ripley version.
I've had my Alien LV for about 1 year and I snuck a game in between football games and it just doesn't get old for me. Just one of those games where I'm reminded I'm keeping this thing. Just working on weapons strategy alone is cool - I qualified Hypersleep lock and then hit a shot up ramp to lock a ball. Then got the Smartgun and used it so it counted my "2nd" locked ball and started Hypersleep MB - one of the best modes in the game. Got the Flamethrower later on...and just as my last ball was about to drain, used it, and was revived. There is some push your luck element with the weapons, especially with the Smartgun - do I save it for a more valuable shot (and maybe never use it) or do I use it now? Had some good MB stacks with modes and actually ripped the spinners on Sentry Guns. Made it to Loader Battle - great mode that I stink at - that right orbit just gets me. I will beat it eventually.
Just recently my buddy (he also has an Alien) and I were trying to figure out what to shoot at for Ambush MB. I found some old information that is NOT in the Tilt Forums or the Alien rules sheet floating around. There are 4 quadrants on the screen (left to right) and you can see the Alien blips coming at you in the quadrants. There are tons of colored lit shots. The quadrants correspond to a particular color: From left to right it is Red-Green-Blue-Yellow so if an Alien is getting really close in a particular quadrant you need to hit that corresponding color to kill it. I'm using the word RuGBY to remember while playing. Finally used that in this game - really cool and made a difference in the mode. Before I just flailed around shooting anything that was lit with no strategy.
Also, learned a tidbit in the Pinball Brothers booth on Thursday. Close your eyes and move on because it's a cool weapon strategy spoiler and some folks like to figure out these things on their own......Find Jonesy is a tough mode. Well, if you have the Shotgun weapon, you can cradle up and wait for Jonesy to appear (orange light) at the Xeno target and activate the weapon. Because the shotgun counts as 2 Xeno hits, I believe (if I heard correctly) that this will count the 2 Orange lit shots needed to find Jonesy....then finish the mode at the scoop. Haven't tried it yet but will soon.
Oh...for the new owners. This has been stated before. Turn the volume up and the room lights off/low.

Ooooh damn that's a great little technique for Find Jonesy, I'd never thought about that! I've done that smart gun Hypersleep MB/extra ball save before as well it's totally amazing when you pull that off.

I LOVE all the little touches on this pin - little things like if you hit a right orbit shot after the ball has gone through the left inlane, the ball will get diverted into the pops for 4x bumper scoring (even if you haven't completed APC drop targets).

It's such a good game. I know the top 100 doesn't really matter, but it still burns me a little that it got ripped apart in the rankings by the GZ/Stern crew, because it truly deserves to be way up there, and more people should be aware of how great this game is.

#15744 6 months ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm confused, haven't followed all the different versions.
Can someone explain if the Ripley version has more or less in it that the LV or the standard version? I mean the Ripley is cheaper so I was assuming it might have some stuff removed. Or is it just a package that has a price cut because the pin has been out so long and needs to juice the sales?
Also, I am considering to buy one but I am worried since it's not a big established company, how is the reliability and service?
How is the code, I have played the game but not fr a while and I didn't get to deep in the code just was more concentrating on the shots not got enough to understand the code.
Thanks

It IS a bit confusing to be honest, but yeah as LeMansFan said, the Ripley Edition has some new sculpts and a couple of extras that the SV doesn't have. However, since the original is being discontinued it looks like it's pretty much a new SV.

The LV is still the limited version and has things like the alien head side rails/powdercoated armour and lit side blades.

I would not be concerned or worried about the reliability or the service - PB are by a some distance the best service I've had in pinball. Yes I did have one or two things early on with my LV, but every issue was resolved extremely quickly, and Andrea + Shawn have been absolute legends. Since those early issues were resolved (over a year ago) the machine has been working perfectly, and has been rock solid.

I can't believe the price of the Ripley version - it's an absolute bargain for the amount of game you are getting.

#15751 6 months ago
Quoted from PeterG:

The additional apron, LCD frame and painting of the Xeno are nice, but not worth the money to add on your LV. I do think there are better and more accurate versions of the airlock out there, especially the color.
I clearcoated my Xeno with extra glossy paint and looks very nice, wet effect. Most owners with the interactive apron will not trade that for a decal. The decal is btw very nice done, the print has some depth. So, if anybody wants to add it, it is possible.

The Art of Pinball stuff is 100% amazing, and man do i want that topper... But the custom interactive apron just cannot be beaten - they really should have approached those guys for a collaboration on the Ripley Edition (maybe they did, i wouldnt know).

1 week later
#15904 5 months ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Ah! Thanks...optical illusion. It looks longer because it's bent up. I'll do that tomorrow...thanks so much for your help!

Be very careful if you do any bending - there's been a few reports of the weld points being a bit weak on the wireforms, and you don't want to pop one.

#15906 5 months ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Anyone care for some entertainment concerning the Alien Topper? Then read on...
Curious about the Ripley Topper by Lior Rajwan. I bought one just for FOMO because I'm a helpless Alien Franchise Fanboy. I've waited so long for this machine, having finally pulled the trigger and giving a deposit for the Ripley Edition. I remember feeling a sense of relief when the PB Store accepted my $200.00 for the topper deposit. So I'm locked in. I'm getting one. This is going to happen! I can relax and not regret later I didn't try when the "window" was open. (Honestly I didn't care what it cost - I would pay anything - I'm such a weak Alien fanboy)
I bought the WD topper for $399.00 when it was first introduced by Stern and remember reading how exorbitant everyone thought that price was at the time. Stern was trashed left and right as a thieving money grubbing villanous scourge. Now it seems that's considered peanuts for a Manufacturer's topper. It's nuts!
Just now I went to the PB store out of curiosity and put 301 toppers in the shopping basket there and proceeded like I was ready to check out. I clicked on Buy - Proceed to Checkout - and pay the $60,200.00 deposit dollars just to see if it would limit me ...so I might deduce how many are left available... and it was ready to take my billing address and process my credit card! Yikes! - I thought red flags would go up and I'd be stopped in my tracks ...but it was indeed ready to process. Thank you for your order and have a nice day.
So if this Topper is limited to 300, and Pinball Brothers are selling them directly through their Pinball Brothers US store, and the Pinball Brothers Distributors are each allocated so many to sell, (and they ARE taking the deposits) and prior Alien owners may be interested in this "Official" topper sanctified through Pinball Brothers adding to "demand," ...is someone really counting and keeping close track?
I mean, right now it's just a $200.00 deposit for a $1395.00 topper, people will back out. OMG! What if I'm number 301 ...AND NO ONE BACKS OUT? This isn't a done deal. I'm not locked in. I'm not getting my topper! This is horrible. Cancel my Ripley Edition order I'm done.
Ok, I admit that at least had me smiling as I typed it.
Anyway, concerning topper sales in general across the board, do they get brought back and re-made often? When I first saw the Alien topper limited quantity number of 300 and the MSRP price the first thing I thought was "if these actually sell out real fast it would be crazy not to make more." Why not make another batch of 300 or so for a gross of half a million dollars? What business could pass that up. Is "Limited really Limited in this business?
Are you better off trying to secure a topper buying it direct from the manufacturer (as in this case) or through one of their distributors with an allocation number from that manufacturer? I know I know - third world problems.
Well? Were you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
[quoted image]

Try ordering one from Australia if you want some entertainment. I've contacted the distributor here, PB and Lior himself and no-one has wanted to take my money yet.

In fairness though everyone's been kinda helpful - the distributor is saying there's no point ordering toppers just yet until they get an order of machines so they can be shipped in the same container (therby saving heaps on the shipping costs). Andrea from PB has stated there have been some reserved for overseas orders but I think they are also just trying to organise the best way to get them out through the distributors. Lior did respond and asked me to check with PB.

I am a huge fan of Alien and this game, so I'll be gutted to miss out on such an awesome topper for it. I have every confidence in PB and the distributor though - they haven't steered me wrong yet.

#15934 5 months ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Yes it did, the left end was a tad longer and that same side is where the weld/solder broke. I plan to file it down so they are even and then I have a spare wireform.

Yep I actually used a dremel to file down the left prong on my ramp and it's been 100% ever since. Much better than trying to bend the metal and breaking one of the weld joints I reckon.

#15936 5 months ago

Yeah I'm not really a fan of limiting toppers either, they should be readily available to whoever wants one. There are a lot of people who hate toppers and I'm sure this reason is a big part of it - once they become unavailable, people are willing to pay stupid prices, and it's for something that doesn't affect gameplay (usually).

But for me they really do put the cherry on top of an already delicious cake.

#15951 5 months ago
Quoted from OriginalFresh:

I’m thinking about getting a Ripley edition but have a few concerns that I figured could be answered here.
What is the overall quality of Pinball Brothers games?
If you have an issue that warrants a replacement part, how long does it take to receive it?
I’ve heard that the game is very immersive and the sound quality is great. Just wanting to reach out to the owners and get your thoughts on my questions above. I guess my only worry is the quality/construction/parts used in the game.

It's been answered plenty here already - the build quality is solid. Early games had issues yes but it's completely fine now, and my LV has been going awesome. Service is absolutely 100% the best you will get in pinball and that's no exaggeration.

Here's an example. Had an issue (a long while back), and after I raised a ticket, Andrea responded within 20 minutes with a whole heap of suggestions and also offered to do a Zoom call to check the machine out with me. Since the time difference was a bit inconvenient he then offered to make a video of himself checking all the things on the machine and send it to me - which he did overnight and I followed it and found the issue the next day.

Another example - I managed to trash my LV translite (yes I dropped it) - sent PB an email, I had a new one within the week, and I'm in Australia.

Just amazing support - never had any service even remotely like it, and I can't recommend PB enough. You guys also have Shawn over there in US and he is equally as good as Andrea has been for me.

#16003 5 months ago

I have the LV. I would buy the RV instead. There is no value in the LV now, and the art seems incongruent and busy, the LV translite wore off quickly to me and I would prefer the RV version all day.

It's all subjective I guess - I have an LV and still think it's the best version, so I'm really pleased with the RV release. It means more code for us, and more add-ons we can buy if we want. Yes, that does mean we spend more cash, bit I've been waiting for a topper for this game since I got it and Liors one looks amazing.

Plus, I already have 3 translites for Alien that I swap out occasionally, but I would consider getting the Ripley one too as another alternative. I do think the original LV one is still the best overall though, its such a cracking piece of artwork.

One thing I would agree on is the value of the LV - but to be honest it lost its value very soon after release, way before this RV version was announced. Basically I'm just glad PB didn't pull a Stern and release an XV (or another type of LE), like an "Acid" edition with better powdercoated laser cut armour, lit green side art, new or recolored playfield art, true mirrored backglass etc... Now that might have annoyed me.

As someone said earlier it's definitely more of a disappointment to SV owners - some (or all) of the later adopters might have held on for this new version if they knew it was coming.

#16097 5 months ago

Mines been rock solid, but I think I might have broken the software last night. I was having an absolutely storming game, had finished all Aliens modes, plus ambush (x3), hypersleep (x2), sentry(x2) and save Newt MBs. Had already crushed my GC score, and still had all weapons, plus an extra ball to go I was so sure I was finally gonna see All Out War. Then for the third time I locked 2 balls in the hypersleep ramp.... and nothing... No new ball kicked out, and ball search wouldn't even attempt to kick out the locked ones in the hypersleep chamber. So basically that was the end of that.

I thought maybe an opto had gone somewhere, perhaps in the trough or in the hypersleep chamber, but on restarting the game it's all working as normal. Probably I need to play and test more but has anyone seen any kind of behaviour like that? I really was NOT amused.

#16111 5 months ago

Another super happy LV owner here, and I can't wait to get the extras (FINALLY there's a cool topper!). I've already got 2 versions of KJS's translites and I'll be picking up the new one too - it's so awesome to swap them (and also the amazing factory one) every 4 weeks or so.

The ER looks great, but it's no LV - still easily the best model, and we even get awesome new code. Really hope PB do well with the new version, this game absolutely deserves to be in more people's houses.

#16147 5 months ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

I hear you about not wanting to clutter up the playfield. My APC unit is definetly going in somewhere as it is my favorite, but probably not any of the zeno figures.
I want to do something in the empty back corner of the Hyper Sleep Chamber area but I'm hesitant. I don't want to put a 3D figure there that might make it cumbersome or obstruct the ease of lifting the playfield. Curious if the existing 3rd party Hyper Sleep Chambers play nice with playfield maintenance operations.
I'm surprised we haven't seen an official 3D add-on sculpt of the Hyper Sleep Chamber offering sanctified by Pinball Brothers from Lior at The Art of Pinball. Surely that is an opportunity to fill a sorely needed bland spot. But maybe that's why the game was created the way it was, to avoid issues with raising and lowering the playfield concerning that area? I can't say.
Pinball Brothers have long hinted they have planned add-in/upgrade surprises. Maybe the new sculpts Lior is offering now are what they were referring to.
Needless to say, as soon as Lior offers the piece for that area that matches the quality of his other pieces in a seemless fashion, I'm going to jump on it knowing the playfield operation would already be tested and factored in to the design of its addition. Fingers crossed.

Yep you can always just go for the Mezel Mods hyper sleep chamber - it's actually really nicely done, lights up that back corner, and it's already 1000 times better than the flat plastic that comes with the machine. I haven't had any issues with it.

#16151 5 months ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Did your hyper space chamber fit? It bas bad reviews on their site.

If memory serves, I did have to spend maybe 5-10 mins getting it to fit just right - nothing major.

#16155 5 months ago

The LV artwork is also heavily skewed towards Aliens with the queen featured prominently. Doesn't bother me at all though, I just LOVE that they focussed on the 2 best movies in the franchise in the gameplay itself.

#16209 5 months ago
Quoted from KJS:

Wow ! for the record I thought the Ripley Translite was here in a loader fight etc...the one I did last week is almost identical and I had no clue.
I sold my Alien and contemplating doing another custom one for myself but have so many other custom projects now I don't think it will happen.
If that is the Ripley translite its probably not prudent of me to make any more for people as I don't want the fun police on my back. I made a batch of 10 of the back panels with 5 gone, don't think I will do any more.

It's a pretty damn amazing coincidence - what's even more amazing is that some of us lucky ones now have a super-awesome 3d version of the official translite.

#16282 5 months ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

shitty picture, but hey.. thank you KJS... recieved today from "down under".
[quoted image]

Got mine too! KJS has done a fine job on this one.

20231115_113417 (resized).jpg20231115_113417 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#16486 4 months ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

Hey Everyone.
Im in the club with an old SV version. Was thinking about the ripley edition but got a very good deal on this one.
Read alot of what to do first and had to adjust some small things. Thanks for the tipps here.
Could play some great games but nothing over 40 million .
I had some ems, some ss and newer Sterns pins until now. Its my first PB pin. It was in my head over 2 years (had a blast Playing at a distro with a firend back then) and ripley version finaly sold it to me. I was in klinge if i should get the sv or the ripley but i did get such a great deal i had to take the sv (still think ripley version is unbeatable in price with all the upgrades)
I am amazied what andvanced things they have in the pinball from a manafacturer side.
Colored Standup targets.
Save holder if you forget to take out the balls befor moving up the playfield.
The upright holding rak for the playfied it self.
The tigthening for the flipperfinger.
The bass on this thing is wild (would love to be able toplay some music when i not play the pin).
The screens are great. I still would love tho have the screen on the playfield like the highway version.
Love to be able to choose wich film you want to play.
All in all the game plays so smooth. I love all about it.
With ripley coming to the game this thing at this price is just amazing.
I would love if they would get back on the drawboard with the playfield and mak it pop out. But when they do this, this game would be unbeatable.
Did i had provlems when i tok it out of the box, Yes like with ervery Stern-machine i bought.
Im an absolut future buyer on PB.
I see they absolut improve things.
Its interesting i did not hear alot of PB.
Theres a lot talk about all other companys but for mee it seems there is not much talk about these interestimg things. I think other companys can learn alot from this small but great improofments.
Great to be here.

Welcome to the club! Congrats on getting yourself one of the best games out there.

#16618 4 months ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

OK, just got LV 355 setup. Played a few games and have some comments and questions!
1. How do I fully lift the playfield? I got under and make sure everything was plugged in, but I wasn't sure how to fully tilt the playfield back. And I didn't want to damage anything, so I sort of rested it in the little "V" rail and held it up.
2. Is the playfield glass supposed to feel "less easy" to slide in than say a modern Stern? My glass was definitely having a bit of trouble, almost as thought it wasn't seating properly under the side rails as it went up...Like there's supposed to be a guide, but it wasn't doing it's job properly.
3. Is the tongue mech supposed to be loud?? It's a pretty cool gimmick (had it miss the first time because the ball bounced away from the magnet, but it worked both other times), but it sounds a bit "grindy".
4. The lock down bar required me to apply a little pressure before it sat fully down. Normal?
5. I'm running 3.0 right now. I want to update to 4.0, but the website is giving me conflicting information...It says I can update from any version, but then it says right underneath that that I need to update to 3.2 before updating to 4.0. So which is it?
6. What pitch is recommended? I didn't check mine, just got the front all the way down and the back halfway. It plays fine (if not a hair floaty), but it feels OK. I may want to up it a bit simply because the outlanes are nasty on this game, ha.
7. What's the shot folks say they can't make without adjustments? I want to focus on hitting that shot next time I play to see if I need to tweak anything.

Can't answer everything here, but....

1) The playfield on this game doesn't rest against the backbox when fully lifted I think it just kind of rests in a totally upright position? I could be wrong but thats my experience of it.

2) I think that's not the way it should be - the glass should slide in/out pretty easily, so best to reach out to PB perhaps.

3) By some miracle/magic they did a software update that totally fixed that problem! I didn't believe it until I updated and now the tongue mech makes half the noise it used to.

4) Mine is normal, ie doesn't require any pressure.

5) I skipped 2 updates previously, and when I asked PB about it, they just told me to go straight to the new version. I can't say for sure if its the same case with all their updates - I assume so, but best to confirm with them.

6) Not sure what the optimal setting is here either but its is a *little* floaty purely because its a widebody. Mine is at 6.5 I think, but with a few increases here and there with flipper and sling power it went from initially super floaty to playing pretty snappy.

7) 100% it's going to be the Hypersleep shot from the upper right flipper. I've never had issues with mine and can regularly start Hypersleep MB, but lots of people have needed a little tweaking. It IS a hard shot though - i think by design.

#16692 4 months ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Is there a good rules flowchart for Alien?
I'm specifically trying to figure out why sometimes my left loop goes all the way around and why sometimes it stops and falls into the egg pops (not necessarily in a mode).
And my hypersleep lock shot is very dialed in out of the box...I've not had any issues hitting it, so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
Regarding my <incredibly limited> exposure to the code, I wish there was a bit more fanfare when you entered a multiball. It seems like the game is almost exclusively atmospheric and dread induced sounds. Something like a speech clip or something that said, "Hey, you've started a multiball" would be nice. Stern has spoiled me in that it's all lights and sounds and fanfare when anything happens...I don't need something crazy, but a little something would be welcome.

Besides modes such as Queens Nest and Derelict Ship - basically if you hit an orbit shot after coming from an opposite inlane, you'll get diverted and also score double pops (i think), which is pretty cool. Then also, once you have dropped the APC targets - the Hypersleep lock is lit and then you'll get diverted every time because it helps you get the ball to the upper right flipper for the lock shot. It's actually really well thought out.

2 months later
#17725 71 days ago

Having the spinners not working, or bricking shots will *severely* hamper the playability of this game - I find the orbits to be absolutely crucial. Whenever I have a killer game on this, it really stands out because I can just ping the orbits at will. Big reason is that you can get into the pops easier - which means not only do you fare much better on modes like derelict ship or queens nest, you also get a nice clean shot at hitting the hypersleep ramp if it exits the pops on the right side. Ripping the spinners also seems to get you to Sentry guns pretty quick and you can start it multiple times on a decent game and keep stacking it with Ambush or Hypersleep.

#17758 70 days ago

Bah - the post guarding the bottom of the upper right flipper finally broke. It does take some punishment, so i'm not totally surprised.

I've looked over the thread but cant find what specific replacement part I will need - can anyone tell me, or is it just a generic screw post?

4 weeks later
#18127 41 days ago

So happy to see more people getting RVs and playing this superb game!

Just wondered if anyone had received a topper yet?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 160.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mckinney, TX
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Traders

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ceemunkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club?tu=ceemunkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.