20240307_181954 (resized).jpg
20240307_180602 (resized).jpg
IMG_5412 (resized).jpg
IMG_5411 (resized).jpg
IMG_9571 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1360 Video of one solution to sticky flippers. Posted by HurryUpPinball (2 years ago)

Post #3169 Minimizing electrical interference issues Posted by brado426 (2 years ago)

Post #5287 Some spare parts Posted by Baggerman (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mitchzizzle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3661 2 years ago

Just have to say reading this thread its very nice to know people are working through these issues and still having fun with the game. I just got my deposit in with Nitro and this will be my first new game ever - Im sure I wont be playing until February, but Im very excited and glad to know theres a wealth of info here in case something doesnt happen to work out of the box. I aint scurred though cant wait in fact!!!

2 months later
#4982 2 years ago

Music tables are big money makers, hopefully its successful so they can go big on the next title

4 weeks later
#5451 2 years ago

Perspective from the furniture industry here """- the manufacturer ETAs in 4months, then there is chip delays that add +2mths, then there is shipping - if you werent aware the benefit of 'container' shipping is almost completely disappeared with current pricing - then crazy docks holdups - then added difficulties getting a trucking company whos willing to pick it up, and to ship cost-effectively within NA once its here""" I check this forum every day to see if other Nitro Canada customers have gotten an update - its a trip to see so many people on this forum as un-informed as the customer who are trying to buy furniture from us right now...

1 month later
#6179 2 years ago

Just got my machine yesterday (Ontario through Nitro) game plays pretty great lit of the box - I adjusted the flipper coil strength up +35% to get rid of 'spongy' flippers. I also had to remove & bend the shooter lane wireform so the ball would launch smoothly everytime , and my third 'problem' is the microswitch wire in the shooter lane needed some serious adjustment (I had to fully reshape it! Lol) so that the ball wouldnt get stuck on the edge of the trough, and so the auto shooter stopper hammering it forward. After an hour or two of adjustment it is my new favourite game. I dont have any issues with the quality or design of my unit whatsoever!

My only complaint - this whole thread is so clogged with crap I cant find any if the helpful suggestions for coil adjustments etc. Is there an up-to-date post with all this info??

#6215 2 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

trough eject. Sometimes too soft and gets stuck right at the top.

I also had the trough issues out of the box - if ball is sitting at the top of the trough it should be able to roll down into the lane, the problem I see is the microswitch wire is too tall, and sits ahead of the trough hole so the ball cant push it down. I think you should reshape the switch wire so it sits slightly more forward and lower, be careful because the shooter rod has a bad habit of smacking the switch wire and pushing it forward even if you push it back

#6216 2 years ago
Quoted from brado426:

Last year, PB did send me new flipper coils that had diodes on them. Not sure if that could have anything to do with the flipper knock down issue? I do know that I've played for hours and haven't experienced anything like that.

Can you post a pic? I have noticed the spingy flippers (had to adjust +35%, but still noticable) but if this solves the issue Im interested in trying! Any harm that could be done by adding diodes to the flipper coils? Anybody submitted a suggestion to add EOS switches to the code??

#6233 2 years ago
Quoted from Bulks00:

Hi everyone!
I am just joining the club. I received my Alien SV last week. I did the setup, put the balls in and put the game on Free Play and BOOM!!! The start button won’t launch the first ball. In the switch tests, I found that the start switch is actually ON. I believe it should be off, no? I logged a Service ticket with PB but any ideas from you guys? This is my first pin. I am nowhere near a pinball expert and I must say I am extremely disappointed…

So does the 'start' button do nothing? Its impossible to start a game? Or the start button puts a ball in the shooter lane, but you cant fire it?

#6253 2 years ago

Has anybody here added led lighting to their backbox? Just wondering how to source power or if its possible to 'tap' into GI for game sync'd lighting?

#6343 2 years ago

Thanks for this handy info. Has anybody got instructions from Pbros for how to wire the double stacked switches yet??

Quoted from Baggerman:

here are 2 more items for this listing:
The dual stage flipper switches are these: https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-flipper-leaf-switch-double-contact.html
the coils are these: https://www.pinballlife.com/090-5032-nd-flipper-coil-for-stern.html
As per Pbros email.
BAG

#6370 2 years ago

At this point I have my flipper 'squish' minimized (way lower game angle, flipper coils +35%) and I know to livecatch the ball when it comrs at the left flipper fastwhen it comes out of airlock. At least now if I just leave a flipper engaged to absorb a fast blow, it will 'catch' it and softly pass it back to the inlane usually, rather than just knock the flipper down. The +35% coils do make the flippers almost to powerful for the game, I also hope they add EOS option in the next update..

#6395 2 years ago

Heres my question for the day - has anybody been using a 'hard' power reset to turn their game on (ie. On a switched circuit or a breaker with other games) or do you need to use the power button to shut down the game everytime?

I would like to turn the game on/off with a wall switch, but I am nervous just 'cutting' power to a computer-based game

#6417 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Yikes.
I am contemplating cancelling my order really.
Lots of problems being reported and software issues and, lol, no eos switches, flipper issues, and a long list of problems.
Never had buyers remorse before but it might be better to just wait this one out???

Ive been dialing my game in for a week, the spongey flipper is almost non existent now - they just dont feel like my Dirty Harry flippers sitting next to it. I hope the EOS becomes an add-on (like stacked flipper switches) and then people can choose whether they want the new software controlled feel, or a more classic feel. Still though have to say its the best game Ive ever played

2 weeks later
#6804 2 years ago
Quoted from megaladon:

What sort of bend am I looking for? I can’t see any obvious bends it does seem to twist a little? It seems to happen most on multi ball which is what makes me think it’s some sort of power drain?
[quoted image][quoted image]

On my game, often the shooter wouldnt make it up the ramp, tried turning 'autolaunch' up but what fixed it was making two adjustments to the wireform. 1) flange the wires at the ramp entrance up 2) make sure the rubber stopper is tilted back so balls arent bouncing back down
68c0f83678fe66482222efafdef5de2135ad8725~3.jpg68c0f83678fe66482222efafdef5de2135ad8725~3.jpg

#6805 2 years ago
Quoted from scottydoesntknow:

Sorry prob missed it somewhere, what leaf switches have people changed to for the flippers please?

I dont think this can be done until the new hardware update is released. Also I think there will need to be a wiring diagram released to explain how to do it
Edit - sorry after rereading - people are switching to Stern leaf switches for a firmer feel. I thought you were referring to 'double stack' switches

#6949 2 years ago

Sorry for this post bc I thought Id read about this issue in this thread, for the life of me I just cant find it!

Im having an issue where 1) my autolauncher often 'doublefires', as though it think there is a ball in the lane, sometimes right after first launch, sometimes during gameplay, and 2) sometimes the autolauncher fires, and then the game puts a ball into the lane and fires, and continues to do so until you inevitably let too many go down and your turn ends. Often this starts to hapoen during Ambush or Sentry guns, but I think it has occured at other times too. Anybody have ideas? Right inlane and shooter are working well in switch test..

#7018 2 years ago
Quoted from Drain-O:

So... I notice that on this game, unlike a lot of other pinball games, there is no easy/medium/hard post holes on the outlanes. Mine is an HUO and I feel like those damn outlanes are too greedy for me, and I want to modify -- anyone have any recommendations?

Replace the rubber post on the right outlane with a slight taper to make it easier / more common to bounce those back in. On the left no suggestions, except flip when it gets close!

1 week later
#7196 1 year ago
Quoted from brandonx76:

So...getting a ball stuck before it can get to the launch area
I can shake it into position, but then it tilts. happening enough now that I'll probably disable the tilt until I've fixed it.

Same video but tee'd up to where it happens again at 47 seconds:

I'm thinking some sort of material/cushion can be placed to help it bounce out, but looking for a proper solution.

Had the exact same issue and yes I just bent the shooter lane switch wire down a bit.

#7253 1 year ago

Friiiig I love this game

20220427_202801.jpg20220427_202801.jpg20220427_202806.jpg20220427_202806.jpg20220427_224700.jpg20220427_224700.jpg
#7331 1 year ago

I am willing to shell out for lots of mods for this game but not a new apron - I am working on some new Apron decals rn, I just want something that actually fills out the apron, and gives the info on using weapons that come with the stock price cards

#7367 1 year ago

Finally got around to installing 2.6. I was very hesitant as 2.4 was working well for me (SV delivered mid march) I have to say I regret not making this update sooner. There were no issues with the update, even though I left my coil changes prior update, and then decided to factory reset after the update was completed. I needed to make very few adjustments to the coils compared to my 2.4 setup, and any issues with flipper knock down is definitely gone, without having to crank flipper coils +35% (which was definitely too heavy for this game.. -_-) Overall, amazing game! I have just over 630 plays on since march and have to say its working very well overall. Stronnnngly considering flipping my SV and buying and LV before theyre all gone! ...

#7398 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

What settings numbers does everyone keep there flipper, Slings and pops at?

Since upgrading to 2.6 I just pushed my flippers and pops +5% , slings unchagnged.

#7403 1 year ago

If you guys cant get up the hypersleep lock then my guess is you should try to lower the game pitch. I told myself I like my game 'fast' and was close to opening a tixket complaining how hard that shot is - but I lowered the pitch and now it is not even that difficult if well timed. I do find that my upper RH flipper needs at least +10% to the coil also. I think the coil settings sometimes dont 'take' right away and if you dont think it worked maybe power cycle and try changing it again? Gotta get the ghosts out of these new machines..

#7408 1 year ago

"Assholes and elbows"

#7477 1 year ago
Quoted from DVDA:

the 4 target are not lighting up because are not coded for be lighting up
(only one of the weapon targets is coded to be lighted due to a mistake)

Noticed this when my SV arrived with no weapon target led's even plugged in! When i connected them, only the target left of the Alien lights up - I thought, if I was handier I would 'tap' into that Led signal for lighted flipper buttons

#7480 1 year ago

It sucks that buying this game has to be such a gamble because PB is a new company, obv not helped at all by coming off the legacy of Heighway. By all accounts this seems (to me) to be an amazing game (Top 10 all-time, for me) with few and moderate technical concerns that PB seems very active in wanting to sort out. I do definitely understand the risk of spending $10k+ on an item if for some reason you might doubt eventually being able to repair it. That said, I have had immaculate service from Pbros., admittedly all my ticket items are quite minor but, every game has design flaws and revisions and since PBros seems quite intent on improving this (already amazing) game as we go, I wont hesitate in holding onto my game for quite a while!

#7524 1 year ago
Quoted from AD72:

How much of an improvement is the 2.6 code. I am running 2.4 and everything seems to be working fine. Sometimes I get a ghost scoring (sounds like glass crashing) but it goes away after a reboot.

If your game is perfect not much improvement. If you have large coil adjustments, particularily higher flipper settings, or issues with flipper knockdown then I was able to solve that with 2.6

#7562 1 year ago
Quoted from murfe88:

Hello so I update to the newest code 2.6. Now when I start Xenomorph multiball the magnet grabs the ball then immediately releases it. The tongue comes out to grab the ball but it’s not there. It was work perfectly fine before I updated. Anyone else have this issue with the new code ?

Do you have 'centre magnet' coil strength adjusted up? If so - try lowering (or even 'factory reset' your game and start from scratch with 2.6 - many coils feel very different vs 2.4). This was an issue I think mentioned in 2.6 release notes?

#7577 1 year ago
Quoted from murfe88:

I will do a factory reset on the coils when I get home. I knew I should have just left 2.4 as it was working fine.

My game worked great with 2.4 as well but I think 2.6 will serve the game better in the long run - I was starting to get playfield damage that probably could have been lessened if I hadnt cranked my coil strength up +40% on my flippers - which is what felt good on 2.4 to me.

#7582 1 year ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Are you suggesting the sledgehammer test may not have been accurate?! Are the posts lifting from being hit... Where are you noticing damage? Mind letting us see a pic?!

Not suggesting that, the clear is super durable against hard hits. The issue is not impacts but stress fractures at points where posts get 'pushed' to the side of the hole. As the posts in this game loosen up with repetitive impacts the posts are smashed into the 'side' of the clear coat and start the stress fractures. Frankly now with hindsight I think that +35% flipper coil (although fun to play) is too 'hard' for this game , currently I have the flipper dialed down and now am not smashing the post by the 'A' drop target as hard. Ive also added some blue loctite to keep these posts in

Edit: should mention my game was delivered mid March and has about 650 plays on it, plan to put a playfield protector in at 1000

#7583 1 year ago
Quoted from mitchzizzle:

Not suggesting that, the playfield is very durable againt hard hits. The issue is not impacts but stress fractures at points where posts get 'pushed' to the side of the hole. As the posts in this game loosen up with repetitive impacts the posts are smashed into the 'side' of the clear coat and start the stress fractures. Frankly now with hindsight I think that +35% flipper coil (although fun to play) is too 'hard' for this game , currently I have the flipper dialed down and now am not smashing the post by the 'A' drop target as hard. Ive also added some blue loctite to keep these posts in
Edit: should mention my game was delivered mid March and has about 650 plays on it, plan to put a playfield protector in at 1000

#7586 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Part of this issue is because for some reason many of the posts barely make contact through the mounts. The post in front of the right upper takes the most abuse and they sent out a post with a longer thread, but ultimately, it isn't long enough either to put a larger washer AND the locknut on. I actually sheared my new post at the end of the mount when putting the lock washer on when trying to get enough threads on the damn thing to make it make a difference. I think posts such as these that take direct hits need a ground up redesign to distribute the impact across a further area.

Interesting. PBros offered to send me the post as well, although mine seems to have enough thread to add washers - I at first added a 1/8" acrylic washer but decided on a thinner soft lexan washer to add under these posts and it does give me a little peace of mind, still wont save you if the post becomes loose, hence the loctite. Persoanlly I think they just need to drill those holes wider and possibly change to being 'bolted' from the backside..

20220504_193236.jpg20220504_193236.jpg
#7595 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Added mirror blades to the SV. Looks great on this pin and the reflection brightens it right up in a good way..
[quoted image]

Got any more pics of these? I still havent ordered bc Im so torn over mirror or black mirror . . .

#7596 1 year ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I just wanted to update what I replaced in case anyone else experiences similar problems.
DDR3 1600mhz were the important stats according to PB. Size of at least 32gb is fine I believe as that was what was replaced but as explained to me larger was fine. I ordered what Amazon could get to me the quickest so I could get it up in time for our event tomorrow.
Dogfish Msata 32GB Internal Solid State Drive Mini Sata SSD Disk amazon.com link »
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great to hear man! The posts with the beasts on fire or worse really get me down - play ball!

#7612 1 year ago
Quoted from prentice:

I presume it has been discussed, can someone sticky and/or share a post capturing the key differences between SV and LV? Reading the official site leaves me still uncertain whether that extra $ is worth it. Had fun playing the SV at GSPF this weekend. Thanks!

If you have the cash Id say go with LV. I have an SV and I was tempted to sell on to order the LV for the following reasons:
-Shaker
-2 step flipper buttons!!!
-more lighting
-art blades (not made yet for sale)
-beacons tied in
-art package is very cool
-backbox lighting (I think??)

Still love the SV, but I will have to install backbox lighting, side lighting etc. on my own, already half the cost of the LV upgrades right there. Plus there is no way to tie Shaker, Beacons, 2 step flippers into the SV at this time, MAYBE in the future Im told..

#7614 1 year ago
Quoted from DropGems:

Just got an sv about to be delivered. So I can’t add a shaker?

At this time SV's are shipped with firmware .56 , LVs are .57 (or higher?), and you need the upgraded firmware to add function for Beacons, Shaker, 2-step flipper buttons. At the moment the upgraded firmware is not publically available for SV owners to upgrade, you wont be able to add a shaker until they release it

#7619 1 year ago
Quoted from DropGems:

Ahhh okay. That’s fine. I assume it’s likely just a matter of time though, right? 2 stage flippers and beacons are nice but my main thing is the shaker. I prefer the subtle SV aesthetics personally.

For me the 2-stage flippers are the deal-breaker, I probably wont add beacons and if you turn the Vol to 6 the Bass already shakes the Cab mind you if it ever becomes available I would probs add a shaker just for posterity

#7620 1 year ago

I assume yes they cant withold that functionality forever. I wouldnt expect that to happen until they sell out of LVs though

#7624 1 year ago

In the menu settings on the real game that I own (the reason I and most others are in this forum) I think it says beacons

#7626 1 year ago

Says Beacons in the menu settings

#7632 1 year ago

No worries I have no idea what youre talking about, nor do I understand why you would cast a pall of negativity over this forum if you do not now, or have any intention of owning an Alien machine in the future

#7633 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

yes, Zablon... I have the exact same behavior. I highly suspect the problem is an incompatibility between the 2.6 system update and the .56 firmware on the SV. My understanding is a new firmware update is coming. This issue has been reported to pinball brothers and I believe they have been able to reproduce the problem. So hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Im sorry if this is rewind but have you already done the 'rebuild' back to 2.2 a la the PBros website then re-upgraded to 2.6?

#7637 1 year ago

In my mind the whole point of a subforum like this is 2) a little hype and 1) people trying to troubleshoot problems with their game and compare with others. I am on here saying Ive had a problem with cracking playfields and I want to warn people as to what I think the best practice would be to avoid on their own manchine - other people likewise on here trying to groupthink small issues - we dont need trolls on here throwing shade without having any experience themselves.

#7639 1 year ago

Yep. Just another glorious day in the corps

#7690 1 year ago
Quoted from DropGems:

I’m buying an sv sight unseen having never played it but watched plenty of vids and the immersion seems off the charts. I was really looking for atmosphere and intensity.

I dont think you will be disappointed at all!

Quoted from Boof-Ed:

I just had something strange happen. Had a pretty average game and at the end it said enter initials. At first I thought maybe I had got a minor thing like egg champ or something like that but it was the top score.
Now this was a 70 million score and my lowest top score to date would have been 150. Seems all the scores had reset. I’ve only played 50 games so couldn’t have been a high score reset yet.
Anyone else experienced this?

Hey there - yes I did experience this early in my ownership. Full 'loss' of highscores happened to me twice. Also, I entered initials that were not saved, however I suspect this is because I turned my game off to quickly after entering.

If this continues to happen, PBros recommends you open the case in the backbox, and replace the button battery (CR2032?) on the board. Once I heard this I decided to wait until it loses memory once more - hasnt happened to me again so I havent actually changed the battery myself

#7691 1 year ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Fixed the ball trough issue, it was just a loose wire on the power clip.
My Xenomorph magnet is only catching the ball for multiball start about half the time. When it catches, it catches hard and everything works great, but a solid hit to the targets and back misses the magnet pretty often. Are there adjustments for this? Normal flipper strength, 6.5' pitch.

Even on 2.6 for me I have the centre magnet turned up at least +20% , have you adjusted this?

2nd , I will share this - which looks good just havent done it yet https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1nAbEz6VHpTw8Kl0FMe9Gfh8GaA52Q2-uChS36ffJNn4/mobilebasic

#7697 1 year ago
Quoted from robd222:

I like that coin door mod. Where did you get it?

From VICTORYFORHEROES on etsy - he has lots of great alien stuff, I like the xe-no-more on the Apron.

Has anybody done anything cool with a model from https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Search?Brand=4948 yet ?! I want to add a vehicle somewhere but, so many options, if someone has added this already Id love to see the results :$

20220427_224700.jpg20220427_224700.jpg

#7756 1 year ago
Quoted from brandonx76:

Ok - also revisiting this...what is up with my targets?
Issue: Some of the targets aren't registering hits. It was mentioned to "lock tite them targets."
On what am I supposed to locktite? The screws? Parts of the target?
I haven't tested them via the machine test - but I was just checking out two different targets. The one on the left doesn't click when pushed, while the one on the right does! I only have one target that doesn't 'click'. I read something about version 1 and version 2 targets for this machine, and thought, well maybe I have a version 1 for just one of my targets...HOWEVER..upon further inspection, the one on the left doesn't have a switch/click attached.
Is this a problem? I suspect the other targets needs to be adjusted still (i.e. the ones that click) but not sure how (yet).
Any help appreciated.
cheers[quoted image]

Hey there - try tightening the screws on the non-clicking one. I did break the target to Left of reverso ramp, on the new targets PBros sent me all targets are held tight by little nuts (pictured) - maybe try adding these to targets, also open a ticket with PBros if you broke a target they should send you the new kit

2022-05-2316.15.446684420851018325939.jpg2022-05-2316.15.446684420851018325939.jpg
#7757 1 year ago
Quoted from drypaint:

EDIT : to answer your question directly, the only part not replaced other than the cabinet and playfield and mechs is the power supply.

Yeesh this sounds like a mess, sorry youre going through this brotha

Could a faulty power supply not have a hand in all that other weirdness? Seems like the only common denominator left..

#7771 1 year ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

They could do those things before it's shipped out as well.

They can test all the electronics they want but at the end of the day they cant 'test play' every machine before it leaves the factory, peoples playfields would have dimples etc. customers want the first play and wouldnt stand for it. Youve never had issues with a brand new car before?

#7773 1 year ago

They have to drive new cars onto a truck, onto a lot that I drive it off of and they still have issues within 2 weeks. Can you imagine the compalints youd see on here if somebody who wanted to put a playfield protector on before play 1 saw dimpling and signs of play on their brand NIB machine?! It would be crazy to think they are play testing every new machine before it leaves the favtory. The above complaint seems to imply it played well for two weeks and the became a brick, also not sure how they would 'test' for that.

#7774 1 year ago

I would take PBros customer service over Chevy customer service any day of the week

#7784 1 year ago

Looks like a little dried flux on there? Not really much to indicate that it wouldnt be sending signal, at least from a visual inspection

#7786 1 year ago
Quoted from drypaint:

Not so much that it was not a solid solder connection, more that there may be sloppy solder that made inadvertent connections. But mostly melted/burned board and scrapes and scratches with a lot of flux on one of them. I did not see any signs of inadvertent connections of solder. Not exactly a professional job none the less. For those that have not had the luxury to get at these boards, its not a quick or fun process.

Hmm yeah, while I see whay you mean it doesnt look like something that could cause the issues youre describing. I just spent some time reading through your post history- again, sucks and Im sorry to hear.

My questions for you are; 1) It looked like you had a working game as recently as 5 months ago, when did the chronic issues start creeping in? 2) when was the last time the game booted properly? 3) what code rev are you on now? Whay firmware rev?

#7832 1 year ago

Ignored Deebow and I took 24hrs off the internet and Im a happy guy again. Glad you got your game working..

RE DIVERTER POST - there is a known issue where posts dont always react well in 2.4 - I got good response by increasing coil power +40% - but these issues seem completely fixed in 2.6 - if you suspect your diverter posts arent activating at the right time you should try the software upgrade.

#7833 1 year ago
Quoted from JDub03:

I don't think it's wonky, I think the optic/sensor aren't registering the ball going thru the orbits properly. My machine rarely kicks the posts up to fall in the pops. In fact, I don't think I have finished Queens Nest for example of this behaviour.

These were known issues as recently as build 2.4 according to the release notes on PBros website. What code are you running?

#7857 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Do you own Alien pin ?

I believe I have read PinFandango is waiting for a game. I certainly dont understand the mindset of those who choose to troll this thread while constantly stating that 'they will not order one of these games'. PinFandango has been a great asset to this thread

#7896 1 year ago
Quoted from precisionk:

It would be interesting to see if there are hardware revisions between SV and LV for the computer and the monitor. I am going to assume as in any factory, they grab out of a bin of parts and go from there. Perhaps it could be something as goofy as the firmware of the monitor being different between machines? Really hard to say. It would be cool if there was an option within settings to run a debug/code version file run to see what people have and firmware.

1) if you upgrade to 2.6 it says the software and formware version on the blue screen while booting up - is that what you mean?

2) I hate to sound like a broken record but - I often had the black-backbox-screen issue on 2.4 , hasnt happened to me at all on 2.6 in release notes it says they are making changes with each revision to address this issue - if you have it I would again suggest upgrading and seeing if that helps

1 week later
#7967 1 year ago

Frankly Im always amazed that pinball machines work at all - there are some truly brilliant minds at work to make every game play the way they do, this one is certainly no exception!!

1 week later
#8013 1 year ago

Interesting.. in the notes I did see "Fixed some logic with coil power adjustments that could cause coils to be stopped earlier than expected." Sucks to hear that didnt help your issue?

Another one I saw might help people if youve had a random reset "Fixed a buffer overflow in the logger that could cause game resets." I have had maybe one or two resets, usually after multiple games and in the middle of lots of stuff happening (tough to point to one cause), might update just for the added safety here.

The thing that stops me from updating right away is you cant score the airlock shot from behind anymore

#8019 1 year ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Just curious why the factory reset?
Don’t have mine yet - does the game code get mixed up?

The reason I did it is because PBros was changing many of the coil strengths or software that affects them between updates. If you had +40% strength and they change how it works, you should see how the new default settings work before adjusting again. I guess the other reason is because it can cause errors like above

#8046 1 year ago

Thats one way to do it. I cant find the link but I would probably try bending the metal bracket behind the switch to try to achieve the same outcome before Id put foam tape on such a prominent spot

#8079 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

I never get it because SV has closed eggs. Maybe you could change that one to a closed egg instead..

Will trade one closed egg for one open Egg

#8090 1 year ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Still have balls flying of the right ramp. Anyone else have that? Solution?

Havent had that issue as often since I lowered my flipper coil adjustments - but I wonder about bending that wireform slightly so that the left-side rail is a little higher - either that or put a little foam tape on the inside top of the gate so it pushes the ball down , havent tried but have considered trying both at different times

#8106 1 year ago

I also finally got around to finishing the install of my mods last night! Got my KJS backglasses all mounted and lit - mirror blades installed and some flipper / trough lighting. The new lights really add to the atmosphere and Ive never seen a game that suited mirror blades better than this one! Lovin it!

20220620_031216.jpg20220620_031216.jpg20220620_031223.jpg20220620_031223.jpg
#8110 1 year ago

Agreed on that! I went with the cheapie method and just stuck some wedge lamp bases in there. As long as you dont mind the light pollution

2022-06-2012.13.276643920703395203696.jpg2022-06-2012.13.276643920703395203696.jpg

2022-06-2012.16.142185332244869749167.jpg2022-06-2012.16.142185332244869749167.jpg

20220620_122011.jpg20220620_122011.jpg
#8157 1 year ago
Quoted from Mageek:

This is what I did, TPU wedges and switch covers. Still a work in progress but I believe it increases catches although mine works pretty good anyway.[quoted image]

This is a cool looking option , even just these decals on a backer of foam tape would probably work well - this looks like a more 'pro' solution

I probably wouldnt let anyone within 10ft of my game with a hot glue gun, to each their own, as long as its playing well. But besides damage to the PF or targets, I would also worry about a potential future buyer not understanding the need for the hot glue and therefore taking away from potential resale value.

#8168 1 year ago

Agreed the DeeBow thumbs down without any reason are just laughably childish. I even have the clown blocked , its a strange system that lets ypu block a harrasser, who can then still see your posts and react to them? Whats the point of a system like that? You cant fix stupid unfortunately

#8175 1 year ago
Quoted from ticktockman:

Tipped it back in Dee Bow's favor.

Wow so edgy loll

#8211 1 year ago
Quoted from brandonx76:

Thanks - can you link me to the factory reset? Assume this brings it down to 2.5 and then I apply 2.7 on it?

Factory reset in the options menu - will just erase all your coil settings etc. so that the game is at default between software updates - the software update process is the same forwards or backwards I think..

#8241 1 year ago
Quoted from skywalker:

Having a issue with my SV,
on boot up, the screen goes blank after the initial software code info/Xeno synchro,
if you press the green back button screen comes on (free play start ) for a few seconds.
It was doing this occasionally but just re started machine & came good.
check all cables etc,
any other tips ?
More info added,
Just realised screen isn't working in Attract mode, screen comes on game start.

When this happened to me - the hdmi connection the bottom of the playfield screen needed to be pushed in. Oddly this caused intermittent backglass screen, not intermittent playfield screen

#8242 1 year ago
Quoted from Opivy:

Machine has gone haywire. It's been playing great until today. Issues:
1. Loading up all the balls at once
2. Xeno is constantly extending/retracting tongue
3. Drains aren't consistently registering
4. Airlock isn't always registering or returning ball
5. "Muther" isn't registering or releasing ball until reboot
6. It's dry firing during gameplay (if it's not busy doing issue 1)
Anyone got ideas?
Btw, this is my first pin.

-First guess, are your balls sticking to the trough? This could cause loading multiple balls, also the 'drain not registering' issue. Maybe use a trough shim?
-Random firing during gameplay is a noted issue, happens less to me now that I have trough shim. If it doesnt effect gameplay dont worry about it.
-Airlock, Muthr not registering is weird, agreed check the cabling that runs to those optos.

I believe the game 'counts' balls by the optos in the trough, so maybe all your opto switches are intermittent? Again, could be the cabling, or maybe a more higher-up issue. Open a ticket with PBros, and let us know how this works out for you!

#8302 1 year ago
Quoted from brandonx76:

Can you confirm if you've left the game running 3-5 hours and not locking up? This would be valuable information

I often leave the machine running all afternoon - have run into the lockup problem twice total in 3 months of operation

1 week later
#8432 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

None of the above.
I did game code for Alien right through to the end of Heighway. I haven't touched Alien code since then -- it's been in the capable hands of Brian Dominy, who was the other developer on the original project. (The game software is built on his framework.)

I agree with the above sir you have helped create a great game here! Hope to buy you a beer one day!

Quoted from Baggerman:

Cato did mention that coding would also be for SV but he needed to draft a wiring "hack' for SV to work with dual switches.. dont think that has happened yet. Does the LV have staged Flips that work right now?

Yes they do! The only thing about this game that infuriates me is the lack of dual flippers, and then knowing that the LV players have them stock.. -_- Hopefully they make the dual stack switches an option for SV owners soon. My understanding is we will require a new Firmware update to make it work? Considering if they gave us the Fw update that LV owners have I assume we would be able to add beacons (which they have said wont happen) I am starting to get antsy about knowing how/when this will happen. Hopefully - soon..

#8433 1 year ago

Regarding the code; I am not a horrible player, but honestly have owned the game since March and still havent qualified the main 'All Out War' finale - my top score so far is only in the 2-300million range... the 'linear' gameplay really helps enhance the 'story' of the two movies as you progress, and all the missions are unique, easy to play but tough to master.

The only thing the game code could use in my opinion; MU-TH-R mystery video mode!

#8474 1 year ago
Quoted from Captchaos:

Xeno magnet catch has to be a really soft shot, otherwise it doesn't grab. Had the issue where the magnet didn't hold and ended up having two balls in the shooter lane. Not enough power to get both balls up the ramp and back on the playfield. Also noticed when hitting the right "ramp" the ball flies over the wire form and back onto the playfield. Has anyone changed out the speakers or added a subwoofer?

-Xeno is never going to catch 100% but try turning up the magnet grab strength a little bit, also making sure the game isnt too 'steep' can help
-2 balls in the shooter lane sounds like your balls are getting magnetized and sticking to trough?
-other issue could be the shooter ramp might need a little bending/ adjustment, or you can increase ball shooter strength.
-Ball flying out the wireform again not as bad if the game isnt so 'steep' - maybe try a small piece of foam tape just under the top lip of the reverso, so the ball is always knocked back 'down' into the wireform? (Untested)

REMINDER TO ALL NEWBIES - REPLACE STOCK BALLS IMMEDIATELY (and you might need to add a shim to trough bc almost all other balls Ive tried in this game get magnetized quickly..

#8496 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Let's talk modding!
Has anyone considered modding the cabinet to make the lit side panels like the OG? Do we even think the cabinet would be stable? I know the HWY cabinet was different, but structurally, shouldn't it be the same (meaning, cutting a big hole in the 2 sides).
Or what about EL paper designed to match the current artwork to apply over it? Not quite the same asthetic, but less intrusive.

Havent considered this - I have wondered how nerve-wracking it would be to cut in a playfield screen like the OG game though

Quoted from Captchaos:

Source quality has to be good in the first place. This pin does have some of the best sound elements. A better constructed speaker will make a difference in reproducing the sound. Just me!

Personally, I am a lifelong musician went to school for audio engineer training - the speakers sound pretty great and any extra bass inside the cab will probably make it rattle like crazy (mine already rattles at Vol 7..) maybe just try an external sub first. Unless ou really want to put some hifi speaker in there in which case , curious to hear reports if it was worth it!

Quoted from crwjumper:

My LV is due to land today. I sold my SV about a month ago.
Question for new LV owners: IS PB still using metric fasteners (nuts, bolts, screws etc)?

They are located in Italy I cant see them ever not using metric measurements.

#8502 1 year ago

Wanting to install KJS's translite this weekend, started preparing, ordered a light strip I was missing.
First, did you guys need to paint the wood panels black? Also, trying to conceptualize the wood mounting blocks in my mind, but can't get there.
Can someone show me a picture of their inside mount?
Thanks

Hey there - you dont need to paint but, while translite is off its quick to pop the speakers off and paint that panel black. You can see a tiny bit through the grill, you can also see the wood if you look through the translite from above.

2. The fit of the inside panel is tight, you just need to make a 'frame' to put squares of velcro on. If you have the plastic angles you can just dbl-sided tape them inside the cab (at least at first, in case you want to move it). When I installed I put the panel too far inside, you only want it maybe 1-1/2 to 2" behind the Translite piece.

Hope that helps - will try to grab pics for ya, if someone doesnt beat me to it

#8507 1 year ago

Thanks guys. Welp, better find my paint. I'll hit up Hobby Lobby or Michael's and see what I can find for framing.

Here is a pic - plastic angle pieces (kindly provided by Kurt in the packaging) just dbl-sided taped to inside wall of the game. I use the top angle but it really just baffled the light.

If you are adding light mods you should add a 12v power supply so you can run apron, backglass, other lights should you so desire

20220714_221527.jpg20220714_221527.jpg
#8522 1 year ago

For what its worth my ball always gets knocked out to the Left flipper, never really bothered me or struck me as wrong, just got used to t he fact that no matter which way you shoot the orbit it returns to Left flipper.

#8555 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Hey Cleland! Over at the apron mod they replied to my query:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-apron-amp-lighting-mod/page/18#post-7028863
So no easy fix there.
I guess we would need someone who owns both to try and plug the LV beacon into the SV and see if it works when turning the beacon option on. Someone told me there is an option in the menus.
Other than that some 12v rotating beacons on a external power supply which is triggered by a relay or arduino? You could go off inserts lighting or the xeno mouth.
What’s it like having a pin that doesn’t need an alternate soundtrack for once?
If anyone has any input into beacons for SV. Would love to hear it!

To make the beacon commands work on an SV you would need .57+ firmware revision, this is not available for download for SV users at this time, .57 comes standard on LVs and is needed to make many of the LV features work: shaker, beacons, dbl stack leaf switches

#8579 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Anyone install mirrored game blades on an Alien SV? If so where was your source?
Thanks

Got Stern Mirror blades, bought from tilt but they ship from cointaker anyways.

Quoted from zacaj:

It feels pretty unique to me. Part of the appeal

This weekend I was kind of thinking it shoots like my Dirty Harry - good selection of shot and missions, tough sideways ramp shot for jackpots, shoot the hole to start missions. Both with great music, good call outs. Its a very unique game though!

#8580 1 year ago

I got them from Cointaker. I think it was the Bally/Williams fit.

The bally/williams have the 'hole' for the hinge bolts correct?

#8629 1 year ago
Quoted from Captchaos:

Added a sub!! WOW!

External or inside? Pics? Specs?

#8666 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I've owned 40+ games and I will say the Alien flippers are very strange (soft)....not saying they are bad, but very different than every Stern, B/W, CGC, and JJP game I've owned

Have you updated to code update 2.6 or higher? I had spongey flippers (flipper 'knock down' issues) until I upgraded from software 2.4.

#8667 1 year ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

Just broke my second wire form for the ball launch.. Original welds failed at bottom closest to the launch.. the replacment (2 weeks old) just failed at 2 spots up top near ball drop. Anyone else having this wireform shit the bed?

Two wireforms down? Thats crazy! Nope havent heard of that before

#8709 1 year ago

I dunno , I also dont really trust music pins (money grab anyone?) but this layout looks pretty awesome, and agreed the art/cab look great https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2022/07/21/queen-revealed/

#8754 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Plugged into the service outlet?
I've been trying to come up with a way to make them run only when the game is on. Something like a sound activated relay that stays on for 5 minutes after hearing a flipper go clack.

Find where the power cord runs into the main power supply - just use some round crimp connectors to split that AC signal (after power switch) to power your new power supply, will be turned On/Off when the game is. Few posts about it up further in this thread (1000s of posts ago ) just use the search bar

#8828 1 year ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

Early machine most likely a tester at shop.. ball trails that would not DA out using Novus 2, instert cracked pooling under ball guide/post... Not horrible, but not like that piece of glass in your image. No labor is included in the Pfield for me.. Bare playfield. i would have appreciated a pre pop playfield for a simple cable swap over and return, but nope.. when pressed for labor to swap it out for me, recieved a fat NO. Ok.. i get it the playfield is 1200 bucks but damm.. talk about a trial by fire for a person to do on their own.. My experience is not the normal.. i am early adopter, covid lockdown machine. Is what it is, and Cato and team are amazing but i am going to look for a NJ based tech to do this.. i am not doing it alone.
Edited for clarity -Baggerman

I also got a backup playfield - my plan is to let it cure in storage while I play the bejeesus out of my OG game, feels great knowing I can really let the playfield have it and can swap out in the future I think it was good of them to provide the playfields for sure!

For those with metal scratches on the ramps - I have polished with 3M Perfect-It #3 and it does a great job of bringing the shine back out after a couple hundred plays.

#8832 1 year ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

Wouldit be unwise to polish the ramps back up then cover in mylar to prevent repolishing or is this just silly talk?

Would be a good idea if you want to keep them pristine. No harm that I can think of

#8840 1 year ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

Did this learned group ever reach a consensus, from the several suggestions, on the most effective way to adjust or modify the targets to permit the magnet to grab the ball more consistently so the xenomorph can do its thing?
Are there any adjustments to make so that the hyper sleep ramp is hittable, more than one time in a thousand, from the upper right flipper? Other than play better?
Thanks....

Few suggestions to try before you resort to using some material to 'dampen' the Xeno targets:
-centre magnet coil turned up? 30+%
-make sure magnet is slightly above PF level (1mm)
-xeno targets all QUITE tight? It is wise to install a small nut on the bolts holding the switches together and crank them very tight

For Hypersleep ramp;
-reduce whole table angle by 1-2 turns of rear levelers
-increase upper RH flipper by +30%
-wax the ramps

#8855 1 year ago
Quoted from KJS:

Yep...being my ex game 3rd hand, I set all my pins up with very slight down flipper alignment and 1241 coil stops to maximise the available shots available.
Not easy to master or control, but opens up alot of tables.

Are the different coil stops noticable? Are they shorter than normal stock coil stops?

#8969 1 year ago
Quoted from Optimiser:

Don't move the board, that's crazy, over the top. I'm sure it's where it's supposed to be.

Agreed /\ I have had situations where I hit the chestburster shot so effectively (haha) that the ball bounces over the magnet on return, I solved this by increasing the RH magnet strength, same as with the center magnet. I would also agree with others, moving the board would not be my first solution

#8979 1 year ago

Just want to say thanks to Mageek for these awesome 3D models - had a local place print these, cant wait to get them painted and installed!!

20220803_121821.jpg20220803_121821.jpg20220803_121826.jpg20220803_121826.jpg20220803_121830.jpg20220803_121830.jpg
#9002 1 year ago
Quoted from calprog:

Quick question. Having a few issues with my Alien LV. My launch on the game is clicking and going on a off quite a bit. No ball is kicking out? It’s annoying. The trough also appears off as during some multiballs only one ball plays one ball??? Weird. If more than one play ball is in play during multiball and one ball drains the game ends?? Any idea what is causing this. PB already send me a new main board and no changes. Any ideas?

Hey there - I have had both of these problems, I bet $100 both are caused by balls magnetically sticking in the trough, even if it just causes them to roll down too slowly it can confuse the ball count. You probably need to cut a plastic trough shim. I bet if you lean over and look down the drain while a ball is being served you will see them sticking up in there

#9004 1 year ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

Needs to be a sticky comment, but all new Alien owners need to replace balls ASAP and watch for magnetism. Stock balls just suck. Mine looked like they were thrown down the street a few times.

Agreed my stock balls didnt look great areived with scratches all over. I did save them however, tossed then in my tumbler for 6 hours with a couple squirts of 3m 'perfect it' #2 polish, and they came out perfectly glassy and ended up in another game Im cheap though

20220707_124733.jpg20220707_124733.jpg
#9054 1 year ago

I've been working on Apron decals to replace the yellow/black strips (PB kinda phoned it in on the Apron ) For me I want the apron decals to display the information that comes on the stock cards so they can be changed out.

Anybody who wants feel free to print this file for themselves, or use my GIMP file as a template for your own design. I have not printed these yet so cant speak to the sizing...
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoaN3QWnEIMIg_N14nQZh7aYyxbrdQ?e=Cszgpj
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoaN3QWnEIMIg_RYHqaWxwIykD6Iiw?e=VhrVZq

Cheers and hope everyone gets their games dialed in soon!

New Apron Decals (resized).jpgNew Apron Decals (resized).jpg
#9056 1 year ago

1 Xeno sounds grindy in normal operation. If Calibration isnt working you should just take the head off the xeno and check the switch that rides the xeno tongue.

2 pop bumpers get stuck? Can you make it happen when the pf is up to check? Spoon switches likely wouldnt make them get stuck, but start by checking those switch gaps and make sure they arent stuck closed..

3. Thise leds can be left unplugged for now they arent coded in, no harm in plugging them in but they wont do anything

4 the pf shouldnt touch the backbox. If you continue to slide the PF all the way to the top of the little incline, the metal tabs will hold the playfield upright. I willl say mine felt like I was scraping the playfield forward, until I put a drop of oil on each rail underneath

#9057 1 year ago
Quoted from PBlank:

Those look awesome mitchzizzle ! What material are you printing them with? Also, has anybody done sticker decals for the targets that are just plain white? Those are driving me nuts.

I am going to try on a Laser printer first, if Im not happy with that I will likely just use those to confirm sizing and get them printed as vinyl decals from vista print

#9143 1 year ago
Quoted from BriannaWu:

I’m reading here in anticipation of my LV coming. Am I correct to understand there was a hardware revision partway through with additional features? If so, will this come with mine or will I need to install something?

The new firmware comes installed on the LV , you should have beacons, shaker, dual flippers etc. working right out of the box

#9150 1 year ago
Quoted from DVDA:

anyone else having a issue with the pop bumpers not working like they should? Well I had no idea they actual have switches under the pops so I closed the gap up a little and they work great now. Kinda weird design if you ask me.

I am not aware of any other design than spoon switches activated by the pop skirt.. Further up the thread people recommend changing the stock spoon switches to B/W spoons for better function. I did what you did an just narrowed the switch gap for poppier action

#9155 1 year ago

True, I guess check to make sure the pop bumpers are assembled properly first , and the metal and fibre yoke arent mixed up

alien-6.jpgalien-6.jpg
#9257 1 year ago

I thought the PF ski system was brilliant, myself. Love that its easy to work on top or bottom without taking the pf out.

The pf shouldnt be able to 'slide down' because the PF sits on top of the flat bit at the top. The tabs at the top will prevent it from tipping too far backward , they dont 'hold' the PF in place though, the only thing holding the PF from sliding down is gravity. No locking mechanism and the tabs dont slide into anything, if thats what youre wondering

2nd to the suggestion above, a drop of household oil on the skis makes the whole process easier

#9261 1 year ago

Looking at your pic - if the tabs were bent too far up, the playfield would still stay at the top of the incline, but the tabs wouldnt 'stop' it from leaning back too far, and it would lean back until the apron touches the head.. When you sit your playfield at the top, and start to lean it backwards, do the tabs not stop it from tipping backwards? Looking at this picture, the PF is in the correct position, you need to slide it up underneath the tabs and it should be fine...

27ef3f04b9773d1cda6322c9069a90bd6565f73a.jpg27ef3f04b9773d1cda6322c9069a90bd6565f73a.jpg
#9288 1 year ago

Downloading now. Another glorious day in the Corps!

Did a first print/fit for my apron decals this morning, just need to edit the shape of the left one a little bit and theyll be good to go

20220816_113603.jpg20220816_113603.jpg20220816_113607.jpg20220816_113607.jpg20220816_113619.jpg20220816_113619.jpg20220816_113648.jpg20220816_113648.jpg

#9292 1 year ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Very nice! Will you be making these available to the community?

Files are already posted for anyone to use a few pages ago, I will also post my final image file here when done so you should be able to just print onto 8.5x11 vinyl sheet. If anybody wants a pair printed and trimmed for them I could probably do so for $10 + postage

#9349 1 year ago

That looks epic! Will definitely add some great ambiance to the game. Do you plan to cut a custom plastic piece to mount it on?

Still havent gotten around to painting my Airlock and hypersleep mods , sized them up the other day and made sure everything lines up , think they will look great once installed!

20220815_143004.jpg20220815_143004.jpg20220815_143007.jpg20220815_143007.jpg20220815_143108.jpg20220815_143108.jpg20220815_143112.jpg20220815_143112.jpg20220815_143115.jpg20220815_143115.jpg
#9353 1 year ago
Quoted from s000m:

Anyone have an issue where on the right ramp as it makes the 'u' bend it flies over the wire form?
I reported it to Pinball Brothers but they could never repeat the issue.
Video demonstration

You could try putting a small piece of foam tape on the inside lip of the reverso ramp, so it 'knocks the ball down' before it goes through the wireform

#9387 1 year ago
2022-08-1918.16.023741629847858844172.jpg2022-08-1918.16.023741629847858844172.jpg2022-08-1918.16.354440288865098570722.jpg2022-08-1918.16.354440288865098570722.jpg2022-08-1918.16.567434404404262851005.jpg2022-08-1918.16.567434404404262851005.jpg
#9444 1 year ago
Quoted from hollyw00d:

Ok I've taken a video of the issue with my playfield rail. I don't know why I can't get this thing to lock in, but I'm worried I'm going to break the damn back board trying to get it to lock.
If anyone can explain what I'm doing wrong I'd appreciate it. I feel like a dummy, but I've hurt my back trying to get it to go over the stoppers, or even rest on the stoppers

Watching right to the end of this video - you pull the playfield all the way up till it hits the stoppers, but then when you tilt it back you are not keeping it on the 'flat' part. When you tip the playfield up 90degrees make sure you are still pulling the base forward so it is on the 'flat' part, at the end the metal should be under the tabs. When the playfield it at 90 degree it shouldnt be on the inclined part at all

At the very start of your video, take that position and slide it 2 more inches forward, up 'on top' of the flat part.. so close!

#9567 1 year ago

Fellows with the playfield issues - sorry youre having the same issues I had!

Before you go changing posts, drilling wider holes etc, I would suggest just Loctite and flexible lexan washers underneath all the posts with cracks / pooling.
The cracks start when posts come loose and hit the sides of the holes, you need to keep these posts TIGHT, so use some blue loctite to make sure they dont loosen from repeated hits.
You also want to avoid any hard surfaces touching the PF surface, the lexan washers provide protection to the clear without providing a new hard edge to push into the clear (I tried metal washers and the soft plastic are far superior).
Also I recommend using two rubber rings on the posts, provides a little more bounceback to the ball meaning momentum is not being transferred through the post to the playfield, causing damage

Lastly - anybody with PF issues I recommend contacting PBros and purchasing a spare playfield to store - for a reasonable price shipped you get peace of mind to not worry so much if your game starts to show battle wear.

20220825_135921.jpg20220825_135921.jpg
#9568 1 year ago

One thing that would really help this forum - if somebody had a google doc that listed the issues talked about in this forum is a sensible way (has anybody seen the forum for CCr?! It looks so efficient!)

So many issues on this forum have been listed more than once, it would make troubleshooting so much more efficient for everyone if we could look up common issues without relying on the buggy forum search tool.

Has anybody started a spreadhseet or anything like that so far, to get us started? Maybe a user with a post on the first page would be able to edit one of their posts and we can start to add some user 'FAQ' for all of our benefit??

#9577 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

Still using stock balls here from June, 2021... Nothing wrong with them.

Mine had little scratches all over them but I tossed them in the tumbler for 6 hours with some polish and they turned out fine - also dont forget the balls will scratch alot in the first few weeks (those metal ramps!!) so not a bad idea to change them once or twice in the first month anyways...

#9580 1 year ago
Quoted from McDoom:

Can you guys show me where exactly you tapped into to supply power to the led strip in the back box for the translite mod.
Thanks

Hey McDoom - I tapped in at the AC-in on the main power supply, after the power switch on the bottom, so the power supply is switched on/off with the game. If you unsrew the power supply box on the bottom of the game and flip it over, you will easily see that its a pretty generic power supply, not hard to piggy back onto

#9614 1 year ago

Final update on the Apron Decals - got the sizing and layout adjusted to size.

Files are here for anyone who wants them: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoaN3QWnEIMIg_YN7xn4pTJnSyjVRg?e=oh28ZT

There is a GIMP image file that you can edit with your own graphics, and some easy-printable image files. -Just get some Glossy vinyl 8 1/2" x 11" Sticker paper, and print the image at 100% for easy results. (If the image doesn't print at the proper size, try opening and Printing it directly from GIMP.)

Cheers everyone and happy flipping!

20220816_160923.jpg20220816_160923.jpg20220816_160956.jpg20220816_160956.jpg20220816_161029.jpg20220816_161029.jpg
#9647 1 year ago
Quoted from KeeperUSA:

My buddy just received a LV. Xeno head works great and the game looks really nice. I think it needs an external sub for more bass.
One issue is that the ball launcher frequently fails to send the ball all the wire up the wire form and into play. It seems that the launcher fires with lower power at times, which results in the ball only making it half way up the wire form. Increasing the power setting didn’t help, so we reduced it back to normal. We also reduced trough power as it seems like the balls were being ejected into the launcher lane with too much force.
Looked at the wire form and it seemed slightly bent, so we added a washer to the right side post to correct this. Has helped but the coil still seems to sometimes fire at a lower power, bricking the launched ball. The coil does move slightly in its bracket, but I don’t see how this impacts launcher power. It is almost like the launcher plunger doesn’t fire all the way out. Anyone had similar issues? I did try to read through this entire thread but couldn’t find anything yet. Reseated the molex and checked the crimping on the coil.
It is frustrating as the launcher works about 80% of the time and sometimes goes games before bricking the ball.
Another issue is flipper power. The coils get really hot after a few plays, but I think two of the flippers were shipped too tight and there is “no play” between the bushing and the flipper.
Also got got random flipper locks/resets in ambush - almost like the game thought all the balls had drained. I think reducing trough power has helped with this.
All in all, a really nice game. The launcher problem is very annoying, but my new Stern Iron Maiden had similar issues and was a pain to fix.
As a huge fan of the movies, one thing I dislike is that “scream again” video when you are rescued from a left drain. Looks cheap and doesn’t fit the theme. Could have done something better, like Stern’s ST with its various rescue call outs. I can think of a number of pieces of video and dialogue they could use, or simply change “scream again” for something related to medbay or show them welding a door shut to defend themselves.

Sounds like the ball is losing power at the entrance of the wireform - I had to bend the wires at the entrance out, make more room for the ball to pass through. The other thing I had to adjust was the rubber bumper at the top of the launch ramp, had to bend it out a bit to stop the ball bouncing back down.

#9665 1 year ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

My game was shipped with 2.7 and am waiting for the apron mod to arrive and clear a day for those and some mod installs .That being said ,I do randomly get black screen after start up .The p/f goes thru it’s thing ,and sometimes has sound and I just shut it off for a few minutes then all is ok .I did notice last night it happened while my kid was hitting start before it got to attract mode .Is this something that was fixed with 2.8 ? Just asking before I put a ticket in .

Ive found the black screen on startup issue is *usually* related to an hdmi cord that needs to be reseated.
The really finicky connection is the hdmi plugged into the mini screen on the Playfield, that connector gets smacked around alot, and if its loose the game will boot with a black screen.

Took me a while to find this out, normally I would just check the connectors in the backbox.. I have no idea why the connection between the airlock screen and computer would make the backbox screen not work, but it does

#9677 1 year ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I've noticed the same thing on my game I've only had since Saturday.
On a separate note, does anyone know if it is possiblell to turn up just the right upper flipper power (excluding the right lower)? I find it difficult to get a shot up the hypersleep ramp over 50% of the time.

Yes it is just look at your game adjustments. . . .

#9691 1 year ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I might give this a go also but do you think the coil will not cool down enough between shots ? It’s not really a shot used often .Just looking forward your opinion thanks bud .

It should and in fact Ive played this game for hours on end with that coil up +25% and never had fade from heating so it must be possible, have never had the need for flipper fans on this game yet, but my games are out from the wall and the game room is cool and dry, maybe others game rooms are a little hotter - hot rooms always make my Vpin freak out

#9694 1 year ago

Staged flippers are coded.. for hw revision .57 and should only work on LVs. Till will tell if they allow SV users to have this option, I think they will when all LVs are sold out.

#9737 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I don't have a tough time with those two shots... it's actually making the chest burster lane for me! Wish it could be hit from the lower left but it makes those two shots from the upper right all the sweeter.

You can hit the chestburster from Lower Left flipper its just very tight, never a 'sure thing' even if you are good

#9739 1 year ago

Looks like the game was designed that not all balls falling from the bumpers should be activating the magnet. Glad you guys enjoy the game more this way though, cheaters!

#9787 1 year ago
Quoted from megaladon:

Downloaded 2.8 from 2.6 and now the coindoor buttons lock up, ugh…went to 2.6 and still does it. I’ll rebuild to 2.2 and then 2.6 since it was playing great until I tried the update. Anyone else experience this?

Did you do a factory reset either before/after the software upgrade?

#9793 1 year ago

Annnyways, at least youre not dripping hot glue on your Alien targets. Party on!

1 week later
#9941 1 year ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

So close!! Who has been to “All out War”? I’m getting really damn close.[quoted image]

Ive played the game daily since APRIL and still havent got it! Cant believe the scores of 1bln+ I see, my top still hasnt broken 250mln ‍️

#9987 1 year ago

It sounds similar to what I had - the following change can be done to the board to see if this is the issue - however heads up I was not able to take off these pieces with a soldering torch, I took it to a local 'hottub circuit board' repair guy I found on kijiji who removed the transistors for me, then it is simple to add two jumpers, and one on the back of the board. You ca first visually check the two transistors, does one look burned out at all?

081eec06b5433f772b0cd540ba9b78efb3c5e548.jpg081eec06b5433f772b0cd540ba9b78efb3c5e548.jpg80133779909.jpg80133779909.jpg
#9988 1 year ago

This is what mine looked like after it shorted - caused all the coils on the RH side of the game to be very weak /unusable.

20220820_010617.jpg20220820_010617.jpg
#10027 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyohtay:

We have always been a little dissappointed that the white inserts that replaced the screen were aestetically off from the rest of the artwork when lit, so I got some gel filters (from Amazon) for lights & added them under the playfield. I used 2 layers of the gels to deepen the color. I also spaced that board away from the playfield to make room for the gels and the glue. Much improved!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Oh man that looks way better! Was just gonna have a relaxing saturday but now Ive gotta do this. Thanks for the great idea!

#10028 1 year ago
Quoted from twenty84:

My LV arrived this week. Decals and had fallen off the apron during shipping and some of the cabinet hardware was loose due to wood screws being over tightened and stripped out at the factory. The game itself was pretty much dead on arrival as gets stuck this volume adjusting screen. I reached out to tech support and they wanted me to check the fuses and connectors which I did but this hasn't fixed anything. Has been a very disappointing NIB experience so far. Any ideas on how to make this into a playable game?
[quoted image]

Sorry to see this :/ right out of the box try reseating all the cable connextions to the black box on the PF bottom, and also tip the hwad forward and reseat the cable going to the computer in the backbox. See if that gets it turning on?

#10048 1 year ago
Quoted from twenty84:

Also on my game there were 5 connectors like these shown below that were not connected under the playfield even a cable that fits on them was nearby. My game doesn't boot if they are connected or not, but I wonder if anyone has any insight on if these were supposed to be connected. The boards also seem to have a lot of connectors that aren't used. Is this normal?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hey - no those target LEDs were not supposed to be connected - they have never bee coded into the game. Wont hurt anything to connect them though.

Quoted from lowbeau67:

Received my sv last week. Everything seemed ok but I quickly realized the game wouldn't recognize drains and advance past ball 1.
Put in a ticket. Quick responses.
Took pics of led board by trough
in different stages of game and sent to support.
Told me to get new balls ..mine were probably magnetized.
Seemed strange to happen so quick. Went ahead and ordered some Polaris and more ninjas .
Those should get here next week.
So tonight I found 6 new balls I didn't know I had and threw those in. Didn't help.
Then I watched the balls drain and noticed there was always a ball at the very left of trough and drained ball hopped in front of it.
So here are some pics and videos showing

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
So fixed the problem.
The trough rails just needed
Bent some.
Hope this helps anyone that runs into same problem
Also my game was dead level.
I checked that before tweaking rails.

I absolutely had to add a hand-cut trough shim to this game, I used a yogurt container lid. If you ever have ball-counting issues , this is probably the source. The balls get magnetized very quickly and can stick to the wire rails of the trough quite easily, and the trough is just slightly too shallow..

#10053 1 year ago

Tell your kids that they will understand when theyre older

#10061 1 year ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Did the clearcoat on the head today. Just needs some polish once dry. Also added my 3d printed Cheyenne.

The ship looks awesome! How did you mount it? Also you need to paint that bugger up

#10096 1 year ago

Had a request from ChipScott - here are some pics of the trough-shim that I cut out for my game, which eliminated issues with balls getting stuck in the trough / ball-counting. As you can see I had thin plastic to work with so went with two layers. The important parts are 1) cut out a 'v' in the end for the plunger, and 2) make it slightly longer than the trough so it bends up sticks out the end. Its very easy to add/remove through the coin-door entrance..

A note on balls flying out of the Right ramp; I finally tried my own advice and can confirm a small piece of foam tape works to keep the ball in the wire ramp after shooting the right reverso ramp - I would suggest a very narrow (1/4"-1/8") piece of foam, and also very thin (1/16"-1/8"). I also slight reshaped the whole wireform and warped it slightly so it is more like a 'banked curve', works much better now
20220919_181153.jpg20220919_181153.jpg20220919_181217.jpg20220919_181217.jpg

20220919_181209.jpg20220919_181209.jpg

20220417_222113.jpg20220417_222113.jpg

20220919_180120.jpg20220919_180120.jpg
#10102 1 year ago

I did not try it - if anyone has used the official shim let us know if it fits! My way saves you 7.99+shipping

#10119 1 year ago

tatman9999 I would suggest bending the wire gate into more of a 'W' shape.

If you look straight up the inlane guide, I bet the wire gate is rubbing/hitting its frame when the ball pushes it diagonally. I bent the wire so the side closest to the player sits further away from its frame.. hope that makes sense

You can also note that I added a thin 'bell' rubber to the outlane drain to give myself a realistic chance to bump-save through the gate. Also, not a horrible idea to add a little lubricant to make the gate open smoothly..

Cheers - Mitch

2022-09-2111.17.308857906582545733021.jpg2022-09-2111.17.308857906582545733021.jpg

#10120 1 year ago

To show you in your pic - the ball is rolling down the guide, but the gate wants to open directly side-to-side, and you can see how close the wire gate is sitting to the frame, you are losing momentum right there

f2e4bb3c79a8a9048ee5c822b7d60f0afd6cb616.jpgf2e4bb3c79a8a9048ee5c822b7d60f0afd6cb616.jpg
#10135 1 year ago

Got my Airlock cover finished installed last night - I think it really adds some atmosphere to the game that is lost with the flat plastic one

Thanks again to Mageek for making this excellent 3d design available!

20220921_185427.jpg20220921_185427.jpg20220921_191331.jpg20220921_191331.jpg20220921_191334.jpg20220921_191334.jpg20220921_191344.jpg20220921_191344.jpg
#10140 1 year ago

Lol well whoever designed this poster - not sure its original purpose but it just worked here too well

hub_large.pnghub_large.png
#10159 1 year ago

That looks excellent!! Great idea for place to mount them, but where did you run the wiring through the playfield? Down through the slingshot holes??

#10216 1 year ago
Quoted from prentice:

Anyone else very disappointed by the low-quality paint job of the teeth? Fortunately, it seems like it should be relatively easy to paint myself.
- Going to paint that spill-over-silver-onto-lips black, and then re-gloss, if even needed.
- Paint between-the-teeth black, or perhaps a heavy ink wash might work.
- Debating switching teeth from silver to bone white; could also use the ink/wash to darken a bit. (this would be the controversial item -- any thoughts?)
Speaking of my disappointments, I was seriously underwhelmed by the "limited apron" It's really just the dogtag?
[quoted image]

Start by doing the black portions and then build your lighter colours on top. Post the results!!

#10225 1 year ago
Quoted from DeLaCruz88:

Is Pinball Bros planning to make more SVs? Game looks great.

Still available from Nitro I think they are still in production

#10242 1 year ago

Was really digging the clear flipper look - until the Xeno had his way with them.. back to black flippers for now

20220925_174235.jpg20220925_174235.jpg20220925_174245.jpg20220925_174245.jpg
#10275 1 year ago

Open allBlack screen on startup My main screen is black on startup.. Check the hdmi cord that runs from the main screen -> the playfield screen. Remove the glass and reseat the cable where it plugs into the small screen. This plug 'wiggles' loose from being hit, suggestible to add a little tape to the connector to keep it in tightly.

#10297 1 year ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

What do we have the auto launch % set to? I had it at -20% but if two balls eject then it won’t launch them. +20% and the ball might go through the back of the launch lane!!

There shouldnt be two balls in the shooter lane - check to make sure balls arent getting stuck in the trough, causes the game to mis-count.

#10306 1 year ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I’m on 2.8. My eject power is +20%. That’s the only change I needed to make to the coils on that rev. I had a lot of coils changed on previous code updates

Changing the eject power will not prevent rhe issue from happening, if the game sense 5 balls in the trough and one on the shooter switch it will no shoot the second ball.. if it has shot a second ball it still thinks there is an extra ball in the trough. You probably need to make one of the teough adjustments mentionned in this thread to make sure balls 'move down' quickly and arent getting stuck

#10326 1 year ago
Quoted from galactic_foxes:

Anyone ever had an issue during ambush multiball where it doesn't recognize there are 2 balls in play? So one drains and then the play ends as it doesn't realize you have another left?

Yep. Trough magnetization issues

#10424 1 year ago

Hmmm my game works so well now I dont want to risk going to 3.0 ... but I will have to do it just for those lit weapons targets...

Also finally got some trough and spot lighting installed on my game and wanted to share the results - still has a dark atmosphere but maybe now people who see it next to my B/W games will stop commenting on how dark it is

20221003_190409.jpg20221003_190409.jpg20221003_190355.jpg20221003_190355.jpg20221003_190334.jpg20221003_190334.jpg
#10456 1 year ago
Quoted from LastCall420:

Is it peeling or is it part of the protective plastic that would have been covering it, I thought same thing but looked closer and was just clear plastic so left it thought would save it from scratches etc..was just a little strip along the bottom where it fits in the channel

Just checking Did you fiddle with the hdmi end under the playfield glass?

#10498 1 year ago

Ok this is my second ticket and the response times are quite long in the tooth. From what I’ve read on here it seems like you’re conversing rather quickly like hours between responses not days… I’ll admit that the first response to my ticket was within a few hours but I haven’t received a response to my reply and it’s been 2 days…

They dont respond over the weekend guys -

#10513 1 year ago
Quoted from SuperMica:

Hello Pinside:
I am having trouble with the bottom left flipper of LV-154. Specifically flipper response has become intermittent. It's just frozen sometimes and does nothing and then will be active again. I was hoping the 3.0 code would correct the issue but it has not. I looked under the playfield and everything is properly connected. All screws are tight. Any suggestions?
-Mic.

Hey there - does it seem like both flippers on the left side are affected? If it is all coils on left side that would indicate an eleconic failure.

If just the one flipper, is it getting 'stuck' in the up position? It might be just a matter of adjusting the flipper in its bushing, sometimes if you have a gap too big or too tight it can get stuck

#10517 1 year ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Got a few dozen plays over the weekend. I adjusted the pops to be more sensitive and now there’s way more action. I also bent the tip of that chest buster lane in a bit so it hits that top switch better. Otherwise no adjustments.
Two things I’ve noticed with 3.0:
- Start button and door buttons will stop responding after the game has been on for an hour or so. Just occasionally. Flipper buttons continue working. Rebooting fixes it.
- had one black screen incident. Reboot fixed it.
- Even though game is set to no attract sound, about once every few hours it’ll play a speech clip. Annoying.
Otherwise working great, even the Xeno head. But that hypersleep shot is so hard!

Not sure if you did a 'factory reset' with the update, but maybe try one and then turn off attract sounds again, see if that catches it

#10525 1 year ago
Quoted from SuperMica:

I just checked and yes... it is indeed happening on both left flippers.

My game only arrived 2 weeks ago and it was fine until just a few days ago. Mine shipped with 2.7 and last night I updated to 3.0 but the problem persists.

If so, are all of the coils on the left side of your game affected? Or just the flippers? How often dont they work? Does it happen all the time, very rarely? Also, did you do a factory reset after you updated your game? Have you made any coil adjustments?

If just both flippers are affected - it could be the leaf switch not making proper contact. If its all the coils on the left side that are weak it could be a transistor blown on the playfield board. I would contact PBros and open a ticket.

#10540 1 year ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I have an SV version of Kurt's translite if anyone is interested. I don't need it since I ended up with an LV and I'm getting a queen version. $275 shipped to the lower 48. I paid 450 with shipping originally, but the conversion rate is certainly turned continued to favor the US dollar since February.

Great deal for seombeody here! On the 'essential' mod for this game, somebodys gonna be a happy camper

1 week later
#10654 1 year ago

Sorry guys but the PETG dot on the magnet does not increase magnet grab at all. Putting wood/plastic in between the ball and magnet doesnt change the magnetism. If you do put the magnet protector on you can put the top of the magnet slightly above the playfield surface (without the magnet getting beaten into a mushroom) so maybe having the magnet slightly above the PF surface increases the chances of catching bounces by +.01%, but really the only benefit of these products is that your magnet wont be beaten to piss

#10655 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

It currently requires a custom circuit board. We could build these and sell some kits, but I'm not clear what the interest level of this is yet.

I am very interested - if it works on an SV

#10664 1 year ago
Quoted from DropGems:

Hey so just fired up my game and it won’t just launch one ball. It launches 2 or like multiple balls. Help?

Are they stock or replacement balls? Are balls getting stuck in the trough (magnetic or just not rolling down maybe?). When you launch a ball, lean over and look down the 'drain' into where the balls sit, does the row move down quickly or stick in place? Or possibly your shooter-lane switch is sticking?

#10714 1 year ago
Quoted from DropGems:

Been playing for a few days now. I’m a beast and like hard games but this game might be the most frustrating. I can hit all the shots but the outlanes (both of them actually), totally destroy me. There’s so much cross playfield bouncing that it’s super rough (unless I’ve just been really unlucky). Once you go into the left outlane (which can happen so quick), it’s over. I guess you have to just play serious defense and grab revives for left drains? Right lane I’ve gotten crushed too a decent amount but at least you can recover there. Totally love the game though and all the shots!

Here my outlane tips; 1 any bounce toeards the left outlane FLIP LIKE HELL, or get the left upper flipper 'out of the way' so the ball can bounce out. For the RH outlane put a tapered rubber in place of the regular sleeve, to give yourself a proper chance to nudge-save the ball back trough the gate

#10761 1 year ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Can you share a pic of the RH side? I don't see the room for a larger rubber there

Sorry for delay - Im on a beach in Mexico ane very drunk. Here is where you want to add your upside-down tapered rubber ;

56fb56b73f9bac1e844ba9bbedd24c2f0c3449db.jpg56fb56b73f9bac1e844ba9bbedd24c2f0c3449db.jpg
#10762 1 year ago

Just looking though my pics and I know its unhealthy but I miss my games bwahaha

#10828 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

Read a few posts back, guys... this sounds similar to what we were just talking about.

If youre a new game owner, read through the whole thread if at all possible... Many of these issues are being brought up in this thread multiple times. Granted some them still dont have 100% reliable answer but, they are known and fixable.. example;

Main screen not coming up - if the HDMI cable between the main screen and the Small screen is loose, the main screen can start black**) It is likely the connection at the small screen input that comes loose from game action... use tape to 'pull' it closed. If you dont see any indication of the 2nd screen working it could be a deeper issue worth opening a ticket with support, but if the screen is intermittent, try a method to 'hold' the connector in the socket (think a bad cell phone charger..) Im sure doing this would help you.

**This can also apply to flickering screens, small screen showing up on main screen, etc. Screen-related issues

Plastic protectors in the glow colour; (or any colour Im sure) Colywobbles is your guy - just about to order myself a set

Also Pinball Bros has replacement plastics for sale just a google away or check their website I believe they made a post linking to their official store

#10948 1 year ago
Quoted from driph:

Replacement launch button mod experiment turned out okay!

I dig it!

#11060 1 year ago

Game should not put two balls into the lane,I agree ball magnetism is probably the culprit. Do you have a shim in the trough? Or a ball degausser

#11152 1 year ago
Quoted from DropGems:

This is easily the most immersive game
I’ve played. I purposely got the sv because of the pitch black vibe. It was hard to play at first but now im totally used to the dark. It’s just nuts. It’s funny because I hated the game at first. It was set to extra hard and I thought it was the default settings and I was getting killed (I’m good at pinball). No revives, mode timer short af, 2 sec ball saves etc. I was screaming at this game! I even put it up for sale. Then I finally realized it was on extra hard and went back to factory. Now it’s like my fav game. I hated the super lightweight flipper button feel too but now I’m totally used to them.

I agree with you I think I prefer the game without the full led-strip lighted blades, the dark atmosphere is perfect for this game - but I would still suggest to add some spotlights for the PF centre and a trough light - makes the whole thing really *pop*

20221003_190401.jpg20221003_190401.jpg
#11154 1 year ago

For my $ I would just get the 3d backglass and make some decals for the apron to make it look a bit more 'traditional'. I agree the apron mod looks great though! I love that 'weapon ready' light!

#11163 1 year ago
Quoted from DropGems:

No my right xeno target when you touch it moves and is super loose.

Next time you re-tighten the switch, put a small nut on the rear of the metal plate where the end of the bolt pokes through, and the switches will stop loosening on you. I got some replacement switches from PBros and the new ones come with this nut on the back

#11177 1 year ago
Quoted from brado426:

I have seen that happen once, but only once in the past month. I asked PB about this and they said they really need the logs to troubleshoot this one. So if anyone sees this issue again, please take a log immediately after it happens and open a ticket for it.
Also, for anyone experiencing any crashes, hangs, or resets with 3.0, submitting logs is the way to get these issues resolved. I still have had no crashes, hangs, or resets in over a month with 3.0.

This is one of those issues that happens to me a fair bit - but also happens to me on my PinBot machine so Im used to it

#11178 1 year ago
Quoted from c818919taylor:

Does hitting the Alien target cause mostly airballs for anyone else? Also, the right ramp…doesn't always keep the ball. Sometimes it is a launch….

There have been a few suggestions in this thread to keep those airballs down and in the wire ramp - first off for the wire ends closest to the reverso ramp, bend the tines up a bit so there is just enough room for the ball to squeak therough. My personal fix is also to bend the stock 'flat' curve into more of a banked curve. I also put a 1/8" piece of foam at the lip of the ramp to knock balls down. Also ChipScott had the nifty idea to cut a clear plastic that knocks those airballs back down into place

1 week later
#11281 1 year ago
Quoted from AD72:

Welds on the ball guide broke. Ugh.[quoted image]

Im sure PBros support would help you with a replacement!

1 month later
#12288 1 year ago

Has anybody with an SV successfully gotten 2 stage flippers going yet??

3 months later
#13728 1 year ago

I havent gotten around to it but I did order the Staged Flippers for my SV - I have been told it is easy to install and set your SV to use staged flippers as well. I will post to confirm when Ive got it working

Happy to report Ive had my game exactly one year (in a week or so) and mine is - still working great - still my favourite game!

Anybody gotten to play a Queen yet? Im really curious to see how the next PB game stacks up!

#13758 1 year ago

Where did you get said flipper stage kit? I so need that in my life!!

Delayed response here - the staged flippers with wiring are available directly from PBros for a small fee, I emailed support and they referred me to their American service contact who mailed them to me. While I was at it I also got the wire to connect the boards to get my 5th target light to work -hooray-

#13798 1 year ago

interesting. I was looking at this machine locally recently and noticed it had this issue. Owner doesn't really know what the issue is.
I spent some time revisiting older pages and recent ones but there is a lot to comb through figured that asking here for the most recent information is the smart thing to do, rather than reading old news...sorry if this is beating a dead horse.
I am considering buying this machine now that the price has come down in the secondary market. The machine I am seeing has some PF damage as well, and I noticed another LV I played has the same damage over the upper left flipper, both machines 6 months old + - and not a lot of plays.
Is this a recurring issue with these PFs? there is bubbling under the ball guide on the upper flipper.
How is PB managing playfield issues, I was disappointed to see this type of wear on a Buthamburg playfield.
Last question, are the audits erased after code updates?
Thanks again.

Hey dude - like mentionned here the mis-counting balls issue is common but solvable.

Playfield issues are occasional - I have some. If you want to have insurance, message PBros and say you want to purchase a replacement playfield for your machine - $650 USD is well worth the peace of mind of not having to worry about the pf issues. But yes the Buthamberg playfield is not super impressive at least no better than average.

Its quite possible that lifetime audits are not accurate so maybe if you see PF issues, it has been played more than is showing.

Just fyi I have had every issue possible on this machine and still loving it - if you have any other questions about it dont hesitate to give me a message

3 months later
#14433 8 months ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

Newer players don't always know when the weapons are ready, so I built this mod that light and moves a sentry gun back and forth whenever there is a weapon ready.
This one is a servo motor, led light tube, and a 3d printed sentry gun. I connected it to an ATTiny85 microcontroller.

[quoted image]

Woah! Awesome! I genuinely dont know which I want more now - the mini beacons or this awesome unit! Are you planning on selling a kit?

#14441 8 months ago

A little delayed comment here but since I installed the most recent code/firmware (about a month ago) I am blown away at how much quieter they were able to make the Alien mech - just with a code update and no hardware changes? Honestly it boggles my mind. Agreed with the above comment - just a great game overall! Ive had mine since last April, still one of my favourites in my collection

1 week later
#14467 8 months ago
Quoted from brettticus:

I was thinking about this too but don’t know if it’d be silly since there’s so much noticeable dimpling already

The great thing about playfield protectors is once you tear down the PF and give it a deep clean, the protector will look like a brand new coat of clear on top, the dimples likely will not be very noticable. But it will also make your game play fast, like day 1 out-of-the-box fast.

4 weeks later
#14655 7 months ago

Woo finally got my tear-down done and installed the green plastic protectors - along with some green flippers to match. Loving the way she glows! Now nobody will be able to tell me this game is 'too dark'

20230905_225810.jpg20230905_225810.jpg20230905_225815.jpg20230905_225815.jpg20230905_231312.jpg20230905_231312.jpg20230906_002736.jpg20230906_002736.jpg20230906_002804.jpg20230906_002804.jpg
#14668 7 months ago
Quoted from Pinball-Cruiser:

Those look great, can I ask where you sourced them, haven't seen a complete set like that.

This is the full set from Colywobbles - got them a number of months ago so hopefully he is still making them? !

Quoted from Rager170:

That looks cool. What is making them glow? UV Pinstadiums?

Just a blacklight led strip used as trough light - it looks much more pronounced in the dark picture here than it does in real life. The lighter pictures are more accurate. Still just a $15 light strip is enough to get the whole PF basically

#14680 7 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Ahhh, ok, I see what you mean.
I took a look at the backbox to see and agree it would need some room away from that light strip.
Curious if people find it all looks better closer to the translight or further away?
Again, thank you for your help.

I think you want the Led strip as close to the front as possible so the strip is hidden by the printed graphics border - I set my inner image back pretty far and have been meaning to move this closer to the front for a while

20230907_220934.jpg20230907_220934.jpg20230907_220943.jpg20230907_220943.jpg

#14707 7 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

, is that the coin door lights keep falling off the clip and hanging down.

For the time being anyways I dont think this is a common issue with this machine - I havent seen it reported here yet but maybe somebody else can say otherwise- it looks like argon is more familiar with the issue so cant be a '1 off'. It could definitely be that something shorted (dangling door light seems likely) and the weakest part in the line failed.. But I also know PB support is excellent and they will be quick to suggest solutions and send parts your way. Let us know what they say! Good luck getting this repaired nice and quickly!

#14719 7 months ago
Quoted from Nyraiderfan:

Man those do look great, how long did it take you to install?

I took my time with it as I was fixing up some other stuff, but if all you want is to install the plastic protectors you could do it in a couple of hours. I didnt end up removing the ramps or hypersleep lock pieces at all, so its really only a handful of plastics to remove. If you go ahead - make sure to buy replacement m4 x10mm or 12mm screws as the stock ones are too short, and a handful of shorter m4 standoffs (the ones on the slingshots), or else the ramps become uneven. Waiting for those amazon packages cost me a couple days

#14721 7 months ago
Quoted from Nyraiderfan:

Thank you!
so you bought those screws from Amazon?

I bought *almost* enough at Canadian Tire - then when I ran out I ordered these https://a.co/d/9Zaqph3 and these https://a.co/d/dsP8Rzh

You only need 3 of the 3/8" M4 standoffs - so it might be cheaper to buy them at home depot

1 week later
#14809 6 months ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

You definitely used some creativity on yours. Very nice. The model is plain and definitely needs some bling.

The model is a great starting point - a good paint job and some decals really makes them pop for sure! You will also want to cut out a chamber lid from a plastic pop bottle

20230924_192724.jpg20230924_192724.jpg20230924_192737.jpg20230924_192737.jpg20230924_192746.jpg20230924_192746.jpg
#14815 6 months ago
Quoted from Mageek:

I have one of the first made and still get a black screen every once in a long while, hardly anything to get upset about.

I just finished my teardown of the topside and had the mini-screen out an unplugged, since putting it back together I have had many more instances of the main screen black on startup, or the mini screen black on startup, or both black on startup. I think the weak link is the hdmi that connects the small screen to the backbox - going to try replacing this and see if the issue goes away.

#14848 6 months ago

Nothing about TWD appeals to me, theme art and gameplay all turn me away. Tron is a wicked fast game but, for Sterns from the same era I prefer Star Trek or maybe AC/DC. Alien is a dream theme and laid out is a really awesome immersive and not-easy game. My game has easily 1200 plays on it and I still havent made it to all out war... But dont tell anybody I said that lol

#14880 6 months ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

So I guess getting one of those Alien apron mods now is completely out of the question, eh?
That's what happens when you're late to the dance.

The stock Apron does look a little plain - if you cant get the mod I would say at least add some decals

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club/page/193#post-7103304

#14882 6 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Where are those decals from? They look like stock but arent on the apron I have. They look nice.

Yes they are made by me for your enjoyment - I wanted the apron to look more like B/W apron, also to move the instructions off the apron cards so you can put custom cards in there

#14908 6 months ago
Quoted from Optimiser:

Because you turned your machine off and on when you did it.

I disagree - the worst is getting multiple cycles on/off and still one or both screens stay black on startup, reseating the cables especially at the port on the playfield screen has helped. The playfield screen gets hit and shakes, the port is vertical and the plug doesnt lock in, its likely to shake loose eventually

#14916 6 months ago
Quoted from Lamoraldus:

If I reseat the hdmi cable I do NOT need to power off.

I will give this a try next time. I assume this is the hdmi connection that is accessible if you unlatch the backbox and lean ot forward slightly?

#14964 6 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Works fine for vent 2, it’s just the IJ ball save. I’m not giving up

Two things about the gate and outlane ball-save

The stock one-way gate is a simple square shape, the ball coming down the 'vent' is coming on an angle, often the side of the gate will rub against the bracket and slows the gate down. The solution here is to bend the wire into a 'W' shape. Not only does the gate close slightly quicker but the wire cant be pushed into the bracket.

The outlane ball-save is impossible with the stock rubber post, on my game it didnt stick out past the metal guides at all. I suggest replacing with a tapered rubber that extends just past the edge of the metal ball guides, this gives you a fair chance of a nudge-save, or a friendly bounce-in if the ball gets rejected by the gate.

Hope that helps!

#14970 6 months ago

Optimiser I think your gate probably works well because there is good clearance between the wire and the bracket. Specifically, on the player side because the ball will push the gate that direction. Mine was close enough to the bracket that it would rub on it and slow the gate movement.
20231008_204712.jpg20231008_204712.jpg

For the outlane save I would suggest a thin tapered post rubber, but I have also improvised with a bell rubber on top of half a rubber post and it works well. Not too easy but actually save-able with a little skill and good timing
20231008_204718.jpg20231008_204718.jpg
20231008_204723.jpg20231008_204723.jpg

#14974 6 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Thats pretty wild. Was that flipper never in resting position then? Seems like they should have spotted that one if so.

Not to help with the gate, the rubber was a response to Rdoyle on how to improve your chances to make the 'Indiana Jones' outlane ball save.

3 weeks later
#15954 5 months ago

ok see if this helps you a bit, it might seem obvious but it was not for me lol.

+1 on this

2 weeks later
#16231 5 months ago
Quoted from Jahkub:

I finally have a BAD issue on my game, I plan on reaching out to support soon but wanted to see if anyone here has seen the issue before.
Original symptom reported to me was weak auto plunge not going up the wireform.
After inspection, nothing mechanical was out of sorts, THEN I looked at the voltage at the coil. It would be at the proper voltage, then drop to nearly nothing after firing, and slowly build up voltage after. Despite being at the proper voltage, it didn't seem to have enough current to make the ramp, and subsequent firings would be weaker and weaker.
After a little more testing, all the right side coils had this behavior.
I reseated the plugs and fuses, but had to leave for the night.
Anyone had this issue before? This is one of the TPF prototype games BTW.

I had a similar issue, all of the coils on one side went weak - cause was a failed transistor on the board in the control box under the playfield. In my case I had a local electronics tech remove the components and make jumps you can see in the picture attached, as suggested by PBros support. If you are patient though just deal with support, they should be able to get you a new board and get back up and running pretty soon

aa88995cc65581950f69c4bb14b173687166b02c.jpgaa88995cc65581950f69c4bb14b173687166b02c.jpg

1 month later
#17215 3 months ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Oh and I forgot to mention after updating to 4.0 I STILL have black screens on boot up and PB still has not made a DBA harness for these games.

I havent reported this here yet but before Xmas I was have more instances of the black-screen issue, until I finally unplugged my screen one day and plugged it back in and it wouldnt power on at all. I sent the screen to PBros US service, Shawn couldnt get it to work either, they sent me back a new screen, nd ever since then I have not had a single instance of black-screen-on-startup.

So, not sure what to make of that but, maybe some part of your screen is failing slowly?

#17219 3 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Then someone mentioned that it was

I for one thought I noticed a different by changing from the stock HDMI cable but - after the screen died, and the new one does not seem to have any issues, and after testing both HDMI cablea elsewhere and shaking/bending them, I think there might have been an issue with my PF screen that was causing intermittent issues.

If I start seeing black-screen-on-startup issues again I will report them here. Just wanted to chime in as I was one of the ones who thought upgrading the HDMI cable might have helped, now I think the issue is with the screens themselves

3 weeks later
#17495 79 days ago

Just moved my machine 'on location' to our staff lunch-room, replacing a Scooby Doo.

Until I got a replacement airlock screen from PBros I would not have moved it here, for fear of black-screen-on-boot issues. But since getting a brand new screen in Dec these issues are gone. For those still dealing with it - I think they have a new version of the airlock screen, slightly altered from the version I got almost 2 years ago. Maybe somebody else with black screen issues, open a ticket with PBros and send your old screen to Shawn, and see if a new one solves the problem.

The game is absolutely rock-solid right now and the whole staff loves it. Also, best looking game ever made IMO, especially with the green plastic protectors and backglass mod!

20240131_175844.jpg20240131_175844.jpg20240131_175831.jpg20240131_175831.jpg20240131_175808.jpg20240131_175808.jpg20240131_175815.jpg20240131_175815.jpg
#17497 79 days ago

Not that my game didnt need plenty of adjustments , pretty much everything needed addressed at one point.
-Right loop didnt return to flippers, I had to bend to redurect it.
-Several target rivets have broken off, thankfully PBros provided extra targets that I have been using
-Large transistor on the control board blew, I had to mod the board locally (remove both transistors from the control board) to make it work
-Airballs coming from right reverso ramp, requiring a re-bending of the wire ramp

And the black screen issues which seem more common with older models.

Dealing with all of these issues was totally worth it -most of these adjustments I would just call 'dialing in'. Possibly buying a second hand game would be the best way to avoid issues like this?

#17498 79 days ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Looks like Rdoyle is referring to his SV he got almost a year ago, ...if you group his posts in the thread.
Only 1 Ripley owner mentioned an issue so far that I've seen, it was something with his audio.
I've been watching with anticipation, just got my Ripley last week and the palleted box is beautiful. Haven't opened it yet lol
I originally put money down 6 or 7 years ago with Heighway and never got an Alien pin.
Now recently after the Ripley Edition was introduced as a "Celebration" pin with the pretty dressings, lower price, new video assets, new optional accessories, translite choices - coupled with an incredible looking topper announcement and extended warranty - I felt there's no better time for me to make the dream I've had for so long a physical reality.
I didn't want to wait any longer in case it's being called a "Celebration" pin because it's approaching the final hoorah of the Alien licensing theme run.
PB had proven enough for me to finally pull the trigger with their overwhelming positive feedback on their customer support and dedicated focus on the Alien pin for such a long period.
These are the best of times for someone new to the Alien pin experience. I'm looking forward to discovering and experiencing all its quirks and secrets as I ready for retirement.
Life is good

OPEN THAT BOX!

#17514 78 days ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Your backbox mod looks really good. Have any suggestions on what you did with the lights? I think maybe mine are too bright. Or maybe my blue image is the difference... im not sure.
I just installed it and still messing with lighting. [quoted image][quoted image]

From your pic, looks good to me! My LED strip has the remote, so I played around with different green/blue tones but in the end I prefer the backbox LED slowly cycling through all colours, thats what it is set at right now.

1 week later
#17646 70 days ago
Quoted from cookpins:

It is on the darker side, I have no issues seeing the ball though. Debating if I add any additional lighting. Might start with a trough light to see if that is enough to fill in the lower pf a bit. I really don't want to over do it and lose the intend ambiance.

For sure I would say the game deserves a trough light and two spots, on the inside turns of the return ramps. Keeps the overall 'dark' feel but everything is visible and looks awesome!

20240131_175818.jpg20240131_175818.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 12.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 160.00
$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Traders

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boynton Beach, FL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Woodstock, GA
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Arlington, VA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mitchzizzle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club?tu=mitchzizzle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.