(Topic ID: 201693)

No rainbow puke club! (Post pics of worst color gi fails)

By Mitch

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,299 posts
  • 457 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by roffels
  • Topic is favorited by 108 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you dislike color GI”

• Yes get rid of it. (Welcome to the club) 249 votes
      54%
    • No I really enjoy it ( your in the wrong thread) 59 votes
      13%
    • A little is ok at the very back under ramps ( I guess you can stay) 152 votes
      33%

(460 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

markup_1000026613 (1) (resized).png
    markup_1000026613 (resized).png
    ce8b053c-063d-4506-9290-a3746597e0d7_92 (resized).jpg
    dogpoop-stormpoop.gif
    Pinside_forum_8165171_0.jpg
    IMG_0665 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0664 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_market_157961_0 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9165 (resized).jpeg
    51bwty2p3-L._AC_ (resized).jpg
    Pinside_market_176549_0 (resized).jpg
    26F61A9B-0B24-4C49-A66A-8759CC2B3CA4 (resized).jpeg
    CDx5i5VWgAAMOhc (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Pinside_market_175750_1(1).jpg
    unnamed.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tamoore.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 6 years ago

Life is too short to be hating.....

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from MikeTangoIndia:

Now come on. Dracula I will say is the one exception that looks good with blues and reds for GI. But pretty much general rule of thumb is clown puke is bad! Lol.
    Don’t upset the BSD guys lol

I did my T3 in blue and red and it looks freakin' awesome.
    Other than that, cool white GI on the playfield for me.....

1 month later
    #700 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

A game that looks like that isn't for play, it's for show. It would be terrible for both.
    I have to laugh at how many "tricked out" games we see posted online that still have the default high scores on them. They literally spend more time putting LEDs and trinkets in than they do playing the things.

To be fair, my games often have the default high scores on them because after my guests leave, I take the batteries out to wipe out their scores so I can get back on the list easier.........

#713 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

It's actually pretty simple, and a self feeding thing.
    First the change all the inserts to super bright levels. This makes the GI look really dark and harder to see so then you have to keep pumping up the lumens to even it out.
    Do you know how you can't see the PF or the ball on you machines at home when you're playing them? No, me neither
    The other very real reason is people have extremely poor eyesight. Even before LEDs were everywhere people still adding spotlights to their PFs. I didn't understand it because I have the same games and I can see everything fine.

Do you play in the dark or with overhead lights on? I think this makes a difference.......

1 week later
    #895 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

lighting is a science. Just like doing sound at a concert. I suppose you think that's not a science either.

One of the things I've done is sound engineering. Still do it, in fact. It's amazing how not science it is. It's like saying painting is science. It's not. It's art. I suppose setting up a system for a room can be science, as there is a procedure, but after that it's all ears.

#1222 6 years ago

One of mine. I like it. I don't care if you don't.

DSCN1863 (resized).JPGDSCN1863 (resized).JPG

DSCN1866 (resized).JPGDSCN1866 (resized).JPG

#1272 6 years ago

I have some pink and green in my Batman Forever too. Looks nice, I think.
    Nobody has ever told me - in person - that my games looks stupid or like garbage. I wouldn't be mad if they did, though...
    You buy them, you can do what you want. Me too.

#1273 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Funny I always remember the hobby to be aboot shit talking, playing games not looking at them, and one upsmanship (?) .
    So you never know.

If it wasn't some about looking at them, they wouldn't put art or flashers in them.
    But yea. Mostly, I play. The looking thing is secondary. Most of my games are no better than players condition, because I don't really care if the playfield is a bit worn here or there as long as it plays good.

#1277 6 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Telling someone there game looks stupid or is garbage IRL or on here will get neither party anywhere. One just looks like an ass and the will act like an ass. However I have told several people that their color bombed games would look a little better if they switched out with some whites to A: make it easier to see the ball and B:doesn't saturate the original artwork. There's always a right and wrong way to help people see the light. Unfortunately here on Pinside most chose the wrong way.

I think the point is, nobody has ever mentioned it to me (I've had hundreds of people at my home playing my games) that they look stupid or like garbage. The ball isn't hard to see, and the (albeit limited) use of colored GI doesn't saturate the original artwork. I have had a few people who are totally anti-LED's tell me that they don't care for the fact all of my games have them, but that's almost always a philosophical thing, I figure.

#1287 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I've met Tamoore like 1 time. I wouldn't have a problem telling him his game looked like shit and I'm pretty sure he'd be fine telling me to F&*^ off. We'd be done with it then and move on...but it will always be hard with so many diff'rent ideas on the correct way to act.

We've met a few times.... but - I wouldn't care if you told me my games looked like shit. It's just not something I think you would have done before this thread - but I'm sure you will now.

#1360 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bugsy:

Thoughts on this Spiderman?
    Not sure what people's thoughts are to the LEDs in the very back. I actually don't mind this type of lighting.

I think it looks good. I believe my TSPP has some light blue LED's on the back panel and it looks real nice and complementary there....

#1369 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that's kind of the point. If a person knows they have to go in and spend time fixing that garbage. the person buying, it already has a discount price in mind, knowing the work they have to do.
    Whether or not you like it, when it comes to selling. Be prepared to do it the right way if you want maximum interest in your game.

I have bought very few games that I didn't strip down to the playfield to clean and ad new rubbers/lamps. Maybe 2 or 3 total came in "good enough" for my crappy collection.

1 week later
    #1648 6 years ago

I'm going to take some pics of my limited clown puking so you guys can make fun of me. BRB.

#1650 6 years ago

Have at it, pals! Note the toy mods on the Godzilla too. (I didn't put them there, but I left them).

IMG_20171231_125100999 (resized).jpgIMG_20171231_125100999 (resized).jpg

IMG_20171231_125054741 (resized).jpgIMG_20171231_125054741 (resized).jpg

IMG_20171231_125108548 (resized).jpgIMG_20171231_125108548 (resized).jpg

#1652 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Meh Segas look like shit no matter what so what's the diff.

#1654 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Look at how angry you are!! What a snowflake! Lemme guess your mommy told you you’re special and put all of your artwork on the fridge!!

SRSLY. I'm a tightly wound ball of rage.

#1755 6 years ago

All of the led GI "kits" I have ever bought included colored bulbs. The ones I posted pictures of earlier were from Cointaker. I don't mind them one bit. Just the right amount of color to avoid the clown puke.

So, there is something to this kit thing. Most of my games I just buy 100 packs of white bulbs. Wouldn't think of a kit for that.

#1765 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah it helps the dipshits to just act like we're all a hunch of old bastards yelling; but then again they can't even keep straight what we're saying. I have LEDS in all but 2 of my games, LEDS are awesome.

Get off my lawn! And Get LED's into them last 2 games. What ya waiting for, gramps?????

#1804 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Find the games without puke in the following photos

These people seem to be playing games with clown puke, and still having fun. WTF gives?????

#1828 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Sold for $4,795.00

WTF are people thinking? That's not about the clown puke, either.....

#1832 6 years ago

@irobot, here's the deal as I read it.

Nobody in this thread thinks that people should not be able to do what they want with their games when it comes to putting whatever crap they want in them. It's theirs to do with what they wish.

Some people in this thread think you should be able to point and laugh at those who do clown puke their games, because the result almost always looks terrible and is worthy of ridicule.

These are two different things.

1) do what you want.
    2) if it's terrible, you deserve ridicule.

It's like this: You have the right to believe 2+2=5. If you do believe that, you also deserve all the ridicule for believing that.

To correctly argue in this thread, you need to be defending the people who believe 2+2=5.

#1836 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

There's a hole in this though. Imagine you are running a company, let's say you are the accountant.
    Believing 2+2=5: You not only get ridiculed, but the books get screwed and the company fails as well.
    Believing in clown puke: They ignore the ridicule because they don't care, play the games just fine, and still sell them for ridiculous money.

You have to defend that clown puke actually looks good, and not be pissy because people think it's ridiculous looking.
    Nobody in here is taking the "people shouldn't be allowed to do what they want" argument.

The argument being made is: "I think clown puked games look ridiculous". You need to argue the other side of what this thread is about, and not this straw man argument about freedom to do ridiculous things.

#1839 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I remember a few sales of 1000pc, 44/47 Frosted Purple, to the statement....."Im changing all the GI in all my games to Purple!"
    This was 4 years ago.....I still cant imagine this!

One of the LED kit companies sold all their kits with purple GI lamps, claiming it was the best color to use for pinball. That's my memory, anyway. I remember the pictures they posted were always....purple.

#1841 6 years ago

Thats no more of an argument than "I like broccoli. Convince me why I'm wrong."

I like broccoli too. I can tell you the reasons why I like broccoli. I like the taste, and I like the texture. It can be prepared several different ways and give different flavor profiles depending on how it's cooked, and what it is cooked with.

Can you explain why you like clown puked games?

#1843 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

You forgot much less heat, therefore less bent and burnt plastics, no damage to backglass or burnt translites, no warping of inserts. Even 47's still run hot. There are practical and sensible pros, not just aesthetic related. As said earlier in the thread, there are sunlight and warm white LED's for those who prefer the incandescent look.

I have LED's in every singe one of my games, for the reasons you mention. Even some color LED's in specific spots. I still think most of these completely color bombed games look ridiculous.

#1849 6 years ago

I dont like them.
    But I assume they'd say "I like games with lots of color. They look cool/fun to me."

The people on "the other side" of this argument aren't arguing that point. That's the disconnect.

#1861 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

I forget if I mentioned it, but my CV came with a undergame LED kit.
    My wife thought it was real neato, so I installed it.
    The colors of the LEDs flashed along with the game music, but it was VERY bright and actually clashed with the game artwork.
    The whole arcade was flashing with green, red, blue. So I took it off and gave it away to a random pinsider for free.
    It was distracting AF. Having your arcade constantly strobing with rainbow colors doesn't help your concentration too much.
    the light reflects off the floor and arcade walls. I predict that a lot of those kits will find their way to the trash can after a couple of months.
    I'm being a pal by saying this: see it in person before you spend your money.
    » YouTube video

I have one on my Metallica. I really don't even notice it when I'm playing.

#1863 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I think a lot of this comes down to how "showy" you want your set up to be. Undercab lights, mirror blades things like that; that's all for presentation. I actually bought a pair of Mirror Blades years ago and I don't notice them at all...so what's the point? But other people like having all pageantry in their house, but it's just differing opinions.
    Like I would never do an arcade style/black light carpet...but plenty of people like them.

That's true. I guess I wanted to create a place in my house that didn't feel like my house... So that "pageantry" is what it is. An escape to somewhere else only 12 feet away. But most of what is down there, I don't notice when I'm playing pinball. It's all window dressing.

#1874 6 years ago

26196275_164690217629535_3438652182441337373_n (resized).jpg26196275_164690217629535_3438652182441337373_n (resized).jpg
    For sale too. Only $3500!!!

#1884 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

At the heart of the argument is the fact that the games were originally designed for white incandescent bulbs for both GI and accents (like inserts).
    When you put colored bulbs for accent lighting in the GI sockets on the playfield and back box, it doesn't quite work perfectly because the game artwork was not designed for colored bulbs.
    So technically, it's "incorrect" to use colored lighting for GI since the game was designed for white bulbs.
    If you were working at the Williams factory in 1992 and you put all purple bulbs in a TZ, the supervisor would say it was incorrect.
    The "incorrectness" manifests itself in the form of the general weirdness of the look of the game, like the Rod Serling's face being purple. Or the playfield art sort of disappearing into a haze of purple light.
    From an aesthetic standpoint, it's NOT "incorrect". If someone wants to paint their entire game with day-glo orange marking paint and thinks it's beautiful, then it's beautiful. There's no wrong answer from an aesthetic standpoint.
    Technically, clown puke is wrong because GI lighting was not designed for colored accent bulbs.
    Aesthetically, it is not wrong, because beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    BTW, you don't need to use an analogy to illustrate a simple point. if you're talking about vegetables in a pinball thread, you're making work for yourself.

Dude.. Just admit you don't like broccoli already.....GEEZE!!!!! :-/

#1909 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm not your buddy, guy.

Let's not bring the blues into this.......

#1962 6 years ago

Can't we just get back to talking about broccoli? I hate when threads drift off topic.

#1963 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

By all means, let's all stop arguing.
    The clown puke speaks for itself, doesn't it? So what's to argue about? Some people like day-glo pinball, and some don't.
    Just like when you're eating a sandwich made from pumpernickel bread, tuna fish, grape jelly and chocolate syrup.
    The sandwich EXPLODES WITH FLAVOR, but there exist certain people out there who would gag on it.
    Are they bad people? Is the guy eating the clown puke sandwich a bad person?

Yes.

#1964 6 years ago

0de99aac874dfb3cd440ab16e60623d18e6a962d (resized).jpg0de99aac874dfb3cd440ab16e60623d18e6a962d (resized).jpg

#1974 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

Seriously, consider the above Cue Ball Wizard translite for a minute.
    How could anyone look at that and say, "Wow! Nailed it!"
    And be confused and insulted that someone would think it looks awful?
    Maybe some of these pion owners are not all that bright. That translite does not look like the work of someone who works at NASA.
    Just think about it for a minute. Someone actually stuck those bulbs in that translite and then stood back and said, "Yup! Lookin' GOOD!"

Looks like the bulbs were just randomly placed. "Random" is the look I think the light artist was going for.

#1982 6 years ago

pastel puke.

#1989 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Red velvet cake is ground zero for that. (other than green beer)

I've made that cake before........

30839_10150211269680553_5769284_n (resized).jpg30839_10150211269680553_5769284_n (resized).jpg

#1993 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Man that cake is pretty cool.

The boy seems to like it. Come to think of it, a "clown puke" event did follow this birthday party........

#2004 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Except this thread apparently isn't about posting pics of those retarded looking games anymore.

Stop yer bitchin' and start posting pics, then.

#2011 6 years ago

Other than the horrid backglass, I like that Demolition Man. It's not like you can see anything up where all the blue is anyway. NICE WORK, clown!

#2034 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

My wife asked me to buy a Cirqus Voltaire simply because she thought it was awesome looking.

Seems a shame to drown it in purple haze or rainbow puke

The green neon in my CV drowns the game in green puke. It totally changes the artwork colors the game artist picked!

#2036 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Wow you totally changed my opinion with this coment.
    Thanks for continually trolling this thread.

Hey.. I'm a helper. I agree that clown puking looks ridiculous. I like broccoli, though. Sorry if my witty and knowledgeable opinions threaten you....

#2049 6 years ago

Not bad, really. Only a bit of puke.

19598635_10155997093033563_6683240656945709194_n (resized).jpg19598635_10155997093033563_6683240656945709194_n (resized).jpg

#2070 6 years ago

Taste the rainbow.

#2107 6 years ago

That Pinbot is not good.

Did you notice how they tried to do all blue on one side, and all red on the other. It's subtle, but I think that might have been what the offender was going for.

#2114 6 years ago

27336265_10214801989979033_3395248327608159595_n (resized).jpg27336265_10214801989979033_3395248327608159595_n (resized).jpg

#2128 6 years ago

27540582_10213320059690000_4910779865681842396_n (resized).jpg27540582_10213320059690000_4910779865681842396_n (resized).jpg

#2131 6 years ago

That's about 33% horrible.

#2137 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Took me way longer than it should have to know that first pic was of a Waterworld.

None more blue.

#2217 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

On a scale from the Titanic to 9/11, how terrible are these?

These go to 11.

#2259 6 years ago

There are two unreasonable opinions battling it out at once in this thread. It's a LOL riot....

1 week later
    #2350 6 years ago

10958219_10155203593535553_5566065369896313926_o (resized).jpg10958219_10155203593535553_5566065369896313926_o (resized).jpg

#2359 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

People purposely purple practically any pin. Pathetic practice.

Have to mark you down one or two for not finding a way to avoid the word "any" here. Nice, nonetheless....

#2397 6 years ago

Horrible doesn't start to describe this, as far as my tastes go.....

1 week later
    #2443 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

What happened to all the people who stopped by the thread to tell us puke haters that we're a.) awful people

You're still all horrible people, despite being correct about clown puke being crap.

#2463 6 years ago

The alternate trans is bad enough without the puke!
    Also, I'd just like to state for the record that I am against clown puked games and translites.....

#2480 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it's easily going to hit 100. I see massive.....MASSIVE amounts of stupidity on facebook.

Some of it is even pinball related.

#2495 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

You wrote, "Well, since you all have stretched this nonsense out to 50 pages, might as well try to make it 51. Lol bump"
    You stated that the thread was "nonsense" and that you're "laughing out loud".
    Now you claim that you're a supporter of the thread, your contemptuous and dismissive post is actually supporting the thread in the form of a bump.
    A bump to a 50 page thread that that has daily posts and doesn't need a bump.
    Okey dokey, whatever you say, pal.

This thread can be nonsense and clown puke can be terrible at the same time.

Kind of like a "The food at this restaurant is horrible, and the portions are too small." thing.

"Hey everyone, we hate the look of clown puke. Let's all look at it every day!!!!"

YMMV

#2499 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

2. You won. Clown puke is the new face of pinball. Every vendor is selling puke kits and none are selling plain white kits. Some of most awful looking pins in this thread are from vendor's websites.

Of the places I go to play pinball, and the friends I have who own machines, I can't think of a machine (other than my own T3, which isn't stupidly puked, but is some nonetheless) that is done like any pins in this thread. In Michigan, clown puke ISN'T the norm in anyway whatsoever....

#2501 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

That's fine, but what percentage of pinball LED make-overs are plain white and what percent are clown puke?
    As incandescent bulbs are slowly phased out of existence, they will be replaced by what?
    The vendors only sell puke kits and they make no mention at all of doing your game in white.
    If you google the words "pinball LED" and look at the images, you will not see one single white LED make-over, all of the pictures are clown puke.
    The average guy who is doing his game with LEDs is ordering puke kits and loving everything about it.

Of my 30 machines, almost all of them are white LED's. I toyed with puke early on, but abandoned it as it didn't take long to realize it was dumb.
    I'm not sure I can agree with your conclusion that when you don't have incandescent lamps, you'll jump with both feet into clown puking without seeing proper evidence of this. Even the kits I've bought from Cointaker have been MOSTLY white, with some color in areas that make some sense (like green under the green ramps).

#2536 6 years ago

This thread hasn't changed my mind about clown puke. I still don't like it, despite all the pretty pictures.

#2545 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Does anyone else have a natural impulse to downvote all of the pics that everyone posts, as oppose to upvote? I know none of these are from anyone in this thread, but the urge is real!

I posted pics of my own clown puked games in here..... Go downovote them if you want. My clown puke wasn't that bad, though... Not like some of these... DEAR LORD....

#2559 6 years ago

It's....it's......it's.......BEAUTIFUL!!!

1 month later
    #2717 6 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I was flipping through this thread, and this featured ad popped up at the bottom. MET bombers are the most shameless. To me this is like painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa. Oh, and I realize that this isn’t colored GI, but this new trend of colorizing every white insert is just as bad.

I have this mod on my Metallica. I think it looks awesome. Now, let's get this thread back on topic, which is where we whine like girls about how other people like their machines to look..... Thanks.

#2727 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Or because they need to learn to play better.

No time to play when you're busy honing your artistic light craft.........

3 weeks later
    #2779 6 years ago

"You can put any color in the GI you want, but you should know that Blue is the absolute worst. What color do you want?"

"Blue".

"OK!"

#2811 6 years ago

I don't believe i can even tell what game that was without the hint...... That was a hint, right?

1 week later
    #2858 5 years ago

Green.

32645256_10160206469025532_3740539012960485376_n (resized).jpg32645256_10160206469025532_3740539012960485376_n (resized).jpg

#2870 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

Why colored inserts???????

Doesn't bother me at all......

#2881 5 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Probably making Dave Christensen puke right about now....It was Old Chicago when it had the warm glow if incandescents, pale yellow and violet pastel paint colors. This guy should rename his game Puke Chicago.

Horrific.

#2889 5 years ago

There's no way this game could be any worse than the way if came out of the factory.......
    Until today......

#2898 5 years ago

Just when you think it can't get any worse, it gets worster......

#2918 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

She looks very young, no offense meant if she isn't, but if so the purp'd children are the real victims in all of this.

Please think of the children......

1 week later
    #2958 5 years ago

I can no longer see for miles and miles.........

1 week later
    #3005 5 years ago

One side is red and one side is blue. See?

No. Of course you can't. You can't see anything with those lights like that.....

4 weeks later
    #3115 5 years ago

Oh dear......

1 month later
    #3259 5 years ago

None. More. Teal.

1 week later
    #3288 5 years ago

You know, I think these are getting better.......

Oh wait. No they aren't.

#3295 5 years ago
    OMFG (resized).jpgOMFG (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #3397 5 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

OK, feast your eyes on this! Its MY MACHINE haters
    In my defense, the color scheme was already a rainbow. Especially the back glass.
    This is the ONLY game i'm going to ever use colored LEDs, i promise.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's not the worst thing I've seen in this thread.....

1 year later
    #5510 3 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Must be mandatory... buy a POTC you must buy lots of blue LEDs

It's water. Water is blue!

#5513 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

This one had me “Scared Stiff”
    [quoted image]

Scared limp....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tamoore.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails?tu=tamoore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.