(Topic ID: 201693)

No rainbow puke club! (Post pics of worst color gi fails)

By Mitch

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,211 posts
  • 285 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by Bryan_Kelly
  • Topic is favorited by 59 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you dislike color GI”

• Yes get rid of it. (Welcome to the club) 170 votes
      56%
    • No I really enjoy it ( your in the wrong thread) 42 votes
      14%
    • A little is ok at the very back under ramps ( I guess you can stay) 92 votes
      30%

(304 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,040 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

giphy (resized).png
    shitbusters (resized).jpg
    shit park (resized).jpg
    vandamme.gif
    744806EF-DFE7-4175-85A3-2F8EC324C6EB (resized).jpeg
    FB_IMG_1573330701664 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1573330699423 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20191107-062419 (resized).png
    2019-led-neon-ba-sign-ip-66-led-digital-tube-led-dmx-tube-color-color-changing-led-tubes-colour-changing-led-tube-lights (resized).jpg
    48-T8-4-COLORED-Tube-Guard-Fluorescent-Plastic (resized).jpg
    ten2or (resized).png
    F973E105-579A-40FB-BDDC-188A2369F9C4 (resized).jpeg
    blouses.gif
    yT5yerJ.gif
    prince-symbol-elmas-polat-basoglu (resized).jpg
    Untitled (resized).png

There are 4211 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 85.
    #1351 1 year ago
    Quoted from trk12fire:

My honest opinion is the LEDs if done correctly can make the game look a lot more up to date and newer. Especially with a game made in the 80s or 90s. The incandescent bulbs look dull, dim, old and blow all the time. Plus they are hot and can ruin your plastics and backglass. I'm definitely not a fan of the old cheap incandescent bulbs. The LEDs are like eye candy and bring the game to life. I also feel like I see more art work, because the playfield is brighter and can also see the ball better. I can't figure out why you want the old bulbs and I've read the entire forum.
    Just my opinion

If you go back over the thread and look at the pictures, you'll understand the thread better.

#1353 1 year ago

I think the following is relevant to the rainbow puke phenomenon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asch_conformity_experiments

#1354 1 year ago

So you AREN'T trying to change peoples minds. That makes more sense. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Here, this should make you feel better...

pasted_image (resized).png

#1355 1 year ago

Thoughts on this Spiderman?

Not sure what people's thoughts are to the LEDs in the very back. I actually don't mind this type of lighting.

Spiderman.jpg

#1356 1 year ago

I don't like it, but it's way better than what madness a lot of people tend to do with Spider-Man.

#1357 1 year ago

Perfect for pukers playing pinball.

dmx-led-jacket-led-light-jacket-for (resized).jpg

#1358 1 year ago
    Quoted from trk12fire:

My honest opinion is the LEDs if done correctly can make the game look a lot more up to date and newer.

This is true, and that is the point of this entire thread. It's not about LED's or no LED's. LED's are great.

It's about doing them correctly....

Which the ONLY correct answer is. Warm/sunlight white or cool white, in GI playfield and backbox sockets. Very very very rare cases, you can get away with one colored bulb in the perfect spot surrounded by that color with no art anywhere, or an area that's all black.

I buy comets 2smb daylight/sunlight/warm Whites by the 100's. All colored bulbs I have are used for non color printed inserts only.

#1359 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bugsy:

Not sure what people's thoughts are to the LEDs in the very back. I actually don't mind this type of lighting.

Looks great to me but what really matters is, do YOU think it looks good? Don’t worry about what anyone else thinks.

#1360 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bugsy:

I think it looks good. I believe my TSPP has some light blue LED's on the back panel and it looks real nice and complementary there....

#1361 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bugsy:

Fine, it's perfectly playable with the room lights on. In the dark it will look like all the other supposedly "unplayable" games.

a9ba959336c15b0b6564da589002693edce6d628 (resized).jpg

#1362 1 year ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Fine, it's perfectly playable with the room lights on. In the dark it will look like all the other supposedly "unplayable" games.

That is a pretty dark POTC you have there.

#1363 1 year ago

My $.02 on the subject:
    - I am not a big fan of LEDS - in many cases it hurts playability, especially in a dark gameroom.
    - Most of the pictures actually make things worse - games are not / cannot be that bad in reality, right?
    - If done properly, Leds can improve a game.
    - I was fortunate enough to visit MustangPaul gameroom : he mods his games far more than I would, and yet all his games are fully playable and enjoyable; I actually love it!

#1364 1 year ago

Sometimes it is worse. People are taking a few pictures and posting what they think looks good.

The bigger problem in real life is seeing the bare bulb because of your height difference can make the game worse. And we are mostly talk GI here. Cheap LEDs in the inserts without an OCD board can bring on an epileptic event. Then there are flashers, reflections of the backbox on the playfield glass, light up toys . . .

So yes. Sometimes it really is that bad or worse. One guy had an MM with 3 dolls blocking shots. Not kidding, knight, King, Wizard.

Can a camera over-react with light adjustment, yes. But some are really that bad.

#1365 1 year ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

That is a pretty dark POTC you have there.

Standard "before" pinstadium shot

#1366 1 year ago

someone doesn't know how to adjust the contrast on their camera.

#1367 1 year ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

If you check Ebay sold listings, not only are these $156 kits selling , but the color bombed games are as well. There will be no end to this madness. I can't believe there were 14 bids on this Comet.

To be fair, ugly rainbow clown puke LEDs would not deter me from buying a game. I certainly wouldn't pay any EXTRA for that garbage though.

#1368 1 year ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

To be fair, ugly rainbow clown puke LEDs would not deter me from buying a game. I certainly wouldn't pay any EXTRA for that garbage though.

that's kind of the point. If a person knows they have to go in and spend time fixing that garbage. the person buying, it already has a discount price in mind, knowing the work they have to do.

Whether or not you like it, when it comes to selling. Be prepared to do it the right way if you want maximum interest in your game.

#1369 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that's kind of the point. If a person knows they have to go in and spend time fixing that garbage. the person buying, it already has a discount price in mind, knowing the work they have to do.
    Whether or not you like it, when it comes to selling. Be prepared to do it the right way if you want maximum interest in your game.

I have bought very few games that I didn't strip down to the playfield to clean and ad new rubbers/lamps. Maybe 2 or 3 total came in "good enough" for my crappy collection.

#1370 1 year ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

People are taking a few pictures and posting what they think looks good.

I thought they were all posting what looks like crap. Just as the op requested.

#1371 1 year ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I have bought very few games that I didn't strip down to the playfield to clean and ad new rubbers/lamps. Maybe 2 or 3 total came in "good enough" for my crappy collection.

It's a good feeling when you get it and just put it in the row and not have to screw around with them; rare as that is.

LEDs adding a perceived value is just like anything else from bad sellers. People constantly tyring to up price for a new rottendog board or something like that...no thanks.

#1372 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

LEDs adding a perceived value is just like anything else from bad sellers.

Lowers the value IMO. It takes a lot of time and effort to put it back right, and as mentioned before GE 44s are getting harder to come by.

#1373 1 year ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

IMHO, unless the buyer is specific in requesting a discount we don't really know the impact of poorly colored GI. In some cases they want the game badly enough, they'll buy it. There is a market segment that is HIGHLY attracted to these games with clown puke - I'm sure some of you know I am not kidding. They drool over it. In the end, we don't know if the buyer is going to keep it that way, or thinks it's disgusting and wants to rip it out ASAP (and as a side note, I've heard many leave it that way with the "intention" of changing it out later. but they still keep playing it as it is.) I have no knowledge of the buyer of my Atlantis changing out the color LEDs, nor was it ever discussed at all during the transaction.

If you really think about it, most buyers are not likely to mention bad LEDs selections when buying a game. If they do, it's going to be a coin toss as to whether the seller actually negotiates down, or throws the buyer out on their ass. That's just my thoughts...it's never been an issue in my experience - but perhaps to someone can enlighten us with some actual stories involving clown puke sales.

#1374 1 year ago

I don't mention the LEDs when I buy a clowned game. I just get it home and remove them and replace them with white LEDs. I have a ton of colored bulbs in a tupperware case.

#1375 1 year ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I don't mention the LEDs when I buy a clowned game. I just get it home and remove them and replace them with white LEDs. I have a ton of colored bulbs in a tupperware case.

Yeah, I've got so many funky colored LEDs that I'll never use from games I bought. I've seen the pics before hand and factor in having to replace those bulbs - time+money for proper LEDS=what I'll knock off on my offer.

#1376 1 year ago

I'll tag on a bit extra to my offer if a pin already has its GI upgrade to warm white LED's. Backbox is easy to upgrade to LED's.

#1377 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

... Backbox is easy to upgrade to LED's.

Not if it is a fluorescent tube

#1378 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

I'll tag on a bit extra to my offer if a pin already has its GI upgrade to warm white LED's.

I'll tag on a little extra if a game already has it's GI upgraded to NOS GE 44s.

#1379 1 year ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'll tag on a little extra if a game already has it's GI upgraded to NOS GE 44s.

Lowers the value IMO. It takes a lot of time and effort to put it back right, and as mentioned before quad core ultra bright color changers are getting harder to come by.

#1380 1 year ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Not if it is a fluorescent tube

You can get florescent tube in LED form. I like it because of less power consumption and hardly any heat. Plus it doesn't dry out your backglass ink, or dry out the plastic of your translites, which florescent light does. makes your translites brittle and your inks crack. Different people make LED version of the tubes. Some are really good at a soft light distribution which is evenly spread and you can't tell it's an LED tube. Some are terrible and have a hot spot line right through the area.

#1381 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

You can get florescent tube in LED form. I like it because of less power consumption and hardly any heat. Plus it doesn't dry out your backglass ink, or dry out the plastic of your translites, which florescent light does. makes your translites brittle and your inks crack. Different people make LED version of the tubes. Some are really good at a soft light distribution which is evenly spread and you can't tell it's an LED tube. Some are terrible and have a hot spot line right through the area.

Yes, but can you get a super bright color changer?

#1382 1 year ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Yes, but can you get a super bright color changer?

get out of this thread right now. (points to the door)

luke-noooo (resized).jpeg

#1383 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

get out of this thread right now. (points to the door)

New Product for modern Stern Backboxes - "The Light Saber". Light up your new Star Wars. The dark side of the force has never been brighter!

#1384 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

captainneo Can you tell me who makes the led tubes for stern games? would like to get one.

#1385 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

captainneo Can you tell me who makes the led tubes for stern games? would like to get one.

Satan.

p (resized).jpg

#1386 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Just look up 18" LED florescent tube replacement. You will find many options cheap. I suggest one that is frosted with 180 degree range of distribution.

(i think it's 18", double check that tho)

#1387 1 year ago

Most games with LEDs don’t photograph well. I bet a lot of these games don’t look so terrible in person.

#1388 1 year ago
    Quoted from doompin:

Most games with LEDs don’t photograph well. I bet a lot of these games don’t look so terrible in person.

True. But the pics are much funnier thinking that's how they look in person. Just go with it.

#1389 1 year ago
    Quoted from doompin:

I've seen and had to play many that looked like this in real life. Tho, the camera does flare the color out more than it does in person. They are still impossible to see anything on and look terrible in person. When you shine color light on colors, it turns to mush. no way it can look good no matter what you do. Visibility is greatly reduced when using anything but white to illuminate something.

#1390 1 year ago

Found a few photos of the X-Files I had for a bit. This is what I did to it. Nothing! Except brighten it up since it's a dark playfield. Certainly X-Files is a much abused color puke game in the hands of a Puker. Gotta have a green glowing alien, right? Every plastic needs to be a glowing green or red blob, right? NO!

Bright, crisp and shiny!

20150502_202642 (resized).jpg

20150502_202613 (resized).jpg

#1391 1 year ago

What's wrong with this picture?

DSCN5638 (resized).JPG

#1392 1 year ago
    Quoted from o-din:

What's wrong with this picture?

Are they lightning flippers?!

#1393 1 year ago

Original lightning flippers.

#1394 1 year ago

It looks fine to me then! My BSD is pretty basic. I think it could use some spotlights, just haven't installed them yet. Top of the pf looks dark on mine compared to yours
    (Pic taken just now, no flash..samsung s7)

15138338415191006245525 (resized).jpg

#1395 1 year ago

Glass off dont help much. That white isn't as bright in real life..still dark up top

20171220_233021_009_01 (resized).jpg

#1396 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

It looks fine to me then!

Thanks! This one never had LEDs except the two I installed. Can you find them?

When I started using invisiglass, I found LEDs too blinding and not necessary to make the game pop. I have real good eyes and want to keep them that way.

DSCN5635 (resized).JPG

#1397 1 year ago

Ya..mine came like this and i def need to switch some out. Wow, i see the two led's under the left ramp.. it really makes it pop! (In a good way) also, i'm impressed with how the original bulbs look on your pin! Looks great! Maybe i should be considering non led's! Hmm.I Just dont agree with how some peeps go about expressing that !

#1398 1 year ago

They are under the ramp so it doesn't melt. Common issue I'm told. I could have gone with 47s I suppose. Invisiglass with stock lighting is where it's at for me. Easiest mod to undo. But I like it.

#1399 1 year ago

Oh who the hell am I trying to fool? I'll get to the these in a week or two, I promise!

DSCN5649 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    £ 75.00
    $ 49.00
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Men
    Great American Pinball
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 9.95
    Cabinet Parts
    PinBoltCaps
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 69.00
    $ 159.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 1,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 349.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 299.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 4211 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 85.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside