(Topic ID: 201693)

No rainbow puke club! (Post pics of worst color gi fails)

By Mitch

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,211 posts
  • 285 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by Bryan_Kelly
  • Topic is favorited by 59 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you dislike color GI”

• Yes get rid of it. (Welcome to the club) 170 votes
      56%
    • No I really enjoy it ( your in the wrong thread) 42 votes
      14%
    • A little is ok at the very back under ramps ( I guess you can stay) 92 votes
      30%

(304 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,040 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

giphy (resized).png
    shitbusters (resized).jpg
    shit park (resized).jpg
    vandamme.gif
    744806EF-DFE7-4175-85A3-2F8EC324C6EB (resized).jpeg
    FB_IMG_1573330701664 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1573330699423 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20191107-062419 (resized).png
    2019-led-neon-ba-sign-ip-66-led-digital-tube-led-dmx-tube-color-color-changing-led-tubes-colour-changing-led-tube-lights (resized).jpg
    48-T8-4-COLORED-Tube-Guard-Fluorescent-Plastic (resized).jpg
    ten2or (resized).png
    F973E105-579A-40FB-BDDC-188A2369F9C4 (resized).jpeg
    blouses.gif
    yT5yerJ.gif
    prince-symbol-elmas-polat-basoglu (resized).jpg
    Untitled (resized).png

There are 4211 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 85.
    #1201 1 year ago

I still find it hard to put LEDs EMs although I haven't tried the sunlight yet. The warm was never warm enough for me. Of course If i just through them in I think I'd get used to it after awHile but haven't seen a real need yet.

#1202 1 year ago

The Hi Lo Ace above had sunlight bulbs, and a few incans I left. The warm sometimes aren't bright enough. But as I said in an earlier post, I have yet to see an LED that gets the same radiation or light distribution as a glass incandescent bulb.

#1203 1 year ago

did you try the 1 or 2 SMB frosted warm/sunlight LED's? They are very natural looking, with great light distribution. I use them in my EM's and early SS.

#1204 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

did you try the 1 or 2 SMB frosted warm/sunlight LED's? They are very natural looking, with great light distribution. I use them in my EM's and early SS.

When I co-owned/ran LOP, as an LED distributor, I pretty much tried and sampled every bulb under the sun. The sunlights are definitely a little brighter than the warm.

#1205 1 year ago

Now that the thread reboot pleasantries are out of the way, back to it.

(and don't worry Robin, every single photo I will post or have posted, unlike some other contributors, has been from my personal collection now or in the past)

IMG_2860 (resized).JPG

IMG_2862 (resized).JPG

IMG_8057 (resized).JPG

IMG_8097 (resized).JPG

#1206 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Ok so what's the difference between the warm and sunlight? Sorry to say but I hate the yellowish look of the warms. Don't care if it's an EM or not. But don't think the cools look good on some pins either. Whats the closest led to a natural white. No blue or yellow tint.

#1207 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Whats the closest led to a natural white. No blue or yellow tint.

Natural white is. Although they still have somewhat of a yellow tint to them.

#1208 1 year ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Now that the thread reboot pleasantries are out of the way, back to it.
    (and don't worry Robin, every single photo I will post or have posted, unlike some other contributors, has been from my personal collection now or in the past)

Color bombed or not. I'm liking that Pharaoh! Would just need a little more light in the center.

#1209 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Ok so what's the difference between the warm and sunlight? Sorry to say but I hate the yellowish look of the warms. Don't care if it's an EM or not. But don't think the cools look good on some pins either. Whats the closest led to a natural white. No blue or yellow tint.

I don't know. I thought it was just different names by different companies. Comets had the best in my opinion.

#1210 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Color bombed or not. I'm liking that Pharaoh! Would just need a little more light in the center.

Definitely. And another game I've regretted selling the minute somebody committed and started the drive.

#1211 1 year ago

Yeah. Color bombed or not, sexy games being posted here. One of the big reasons I like pins is that they look awesome with the art, light, and display. Green MET is very green. No idea why you would do that. Because snake is green?

#1212 1 year ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

No we're actually all very worried you own a Road Kings

#1213 1 year ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I put months of my time and a lot of money into my mod in the hopes it would sell. I have another mod coming out shortly so I suppose I'll get another personal attack here.

I remember when you launched that mod and I thought "that is a car guy mod" I didn't mean it in a mean way in my head, it just reminded me of under car lighting kits. I know people who like the color leg protectors, but put the stern metal ones under them. That way they get the look while protecting the cabinet from rubbing.

Whenever you put anything into the world you will get detractors. illegitimis non carborundum (Don't let the bastards grind you down)

I have super strong opinions about what I do to my games, but I am always amazed at the work people put into these games. Sometimes I disagree with the overall aesthetic, sometimes I love the effect. While I would not buy most mods or "colour bombe" my GI, I think it's fun to look at the pictures and read the outrage on both sides. Sometimes, I just wish it was less real and more "forum outrage".

#1214 1 year ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

No I don't consider the TZ bad. It is mine. That was about 2 years ago when I was putting in cool white frosted like Art told me to do.
    Robin said it was alright to make fun of our own games and not other members. But mine look "normal".

I though you meant it was blown out with cool white. I think it looks great.

#1215 1 year ago

White is Right!

Oh wait, that doesn't sound good...

#1216 1 year ago

I suppose its not any worse than the dozen emails I had through the years for Black LEDs.....Go figure!

#1217 1 year ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I suppose its not any worse than the dozen emails I had through the years for Black LEDs.....Go figure!

You have black LED's!!!!! I'll take a dozen.

#1218 1 year ago

I have blacklight LED's. Only time I found a reason to use them was for the inside of my path of the dead figures, to illuminate them since they are black light sensitive. Put them inside to give them a nice glow.

#1219 1 year ago

I'm assuming some of you guys don't like powder coating either? Here's the Bally Vampire I'm restoring and getting back together tonight. Still need some paint accents on the stencils, but I am putting a few "tasteful" LEDs on the playfield.

IMG_3788 (resized).JPG

#1220 1 year ago

The op wins. He asked for the worst led gi fails and owners and haters all posted alike.

#1221 1 year ago

Pic of my Elektra playfield below. It looks dark but we had no trouble playing it. I remember the buyer came on a very long drive to get it. That's one game in my history that I miss.

100_2852 (resized).JPG

#1222 1 year ago

One of mine. I like it. I don't care if you don't.

DSCN1863 (resized).JPG

DSCN1866 (resized).JPG

#1223 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I have blacklight LED's. Only time I found a reason to use them was for the inside of my path of the dead figures, to illuminate them since they are black light sensitive. Put them inside to give them a nice glow.

I have used a blacklight led strip across the back of my W?D and went over the windows with a yellow highlighter pen. No one ever notices the cityscape normally.

Backlight (resized).jpg

#1224 1 year ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

I'm assuming some of you guys don't like powder coating either?

Let's take a look....

Quoted from TheLaw:

I would go all original personally. Not a fan of powder coating myself...although that bad boy wouldn't look horrible all blacked out. You start getting into "it being red cause it's blood" etc it just gets too American Chopper to me.

...And here we are.

#1225 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Let's take a look....

...And here we are.

My grandfather likes black powder coating too.

Well at least you contributed to my restoration thread, in which I said original wasn't really an option. Some of the metal was too oxidized or discolored. Chrome was too expensive. Black wasn't really doing it for me, but I did the coin door black just for you. In honor of this thread, I may just clown puke it.

#1226 1 year ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

In honor of this thread, I may just clown puke it.

Oh you little teaser, stop playing games. You were going to clown puke it anyway

I'd take those leg "protectors" off though so you don't do more damage.

#1227 1 year ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

I may just clown puke it.

images.jpeg

#1228 1 year ago

Fixed that for you. Let me know if you want the kit, I'll sell you one for only $169.99.

glow (resized).JPG

#1229 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh you little teaser, stop playing games. You were going to clown puke it anyway
    I'd take those leg "protectors" off though so you don't do more damage.

What fun is there if you don't tease beforehand? Little LED foreplay for ya Law.

If you have a painted cabinet, these protectors don't really do any damage. Just cabs with decals. And plastic will always do less damage than metal to a wood surface.

#1230 1 year ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

One of mine. I like it. I don't care if you don't.

Nice game...like the red. And Kristanna Loken is hot.

#1231 1 year ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

And plastic will always do less damage than metal to a wood surface.

That's not exactly true but let us stay on topic the northern lights

#1232 1 year ago

Looking for a Flash Gordon playfield if anyone has one for sale.

#1233 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Looking for a Flash Gordon playfield if anyone has one for sale.

Not if you are looking for it in this thread. Who knows what dastardly plan you have to color bomb the poor thing

#1234 1 year ago

Cue Ball Disaster for sale on Facebook.

FB_IMG_1513536223430 (resized).jpg

#1235 1 year ago
    Quoted from matt_adams:

I have used a blacklight led strip across the back of my W?D and went over the windows with a yellow highlighter pen. No one ever notices the cityscape normally.

looks like some of that art is black light sensitive. Is it? I never knew that about W?D. there would be a good use of the blacklight LED's if it is. I know VND has black light ink on it that can use the blacklight LED's as well. But again. If you go overboard, you won't be able to see shit when playing. Which should always be priority first.

#1236 1 year ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Fixed that for you. Let me know if you want the kit, I'll sell you one for only $169.99.

affirmative number 2.

#1237 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

looks like some of that art is black light sensitive. Is it? I never knew that about W?D. there would be a good use of the blacklight LED's if it is. I know VND has black light ink on it that can use the blacklight LED's as well. But again. If you go overboard, you won't be able to see shit when playing. Which should always be priority first.

I think he did that. It sounds like that is what he was saying about using a yellow highlighter. I guess he colored the windows with it because it is reactive.

Quoted from jar155:

Cue Ball Disaster for sale on Facebook.

Make sure the owner is not on Pinside. Otherwise we will get in trouble for saying it looks like garbage.

#1238 1 year ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Make sure the owner is not on Pinside. Otherwise we will get in trouble for saying it looks like garbage.

I think the problem Robin had was taking them out of profiles without permission. If somebody posted a pic on Facebook, CL or anywhere else, I would say it's free game. They are putting it out there. But he did say limit it to games in your own collection. I've had no problem posting my games from the past. Even a few of my current ones. It's called growing a pair.

But that CBW does look horrible, especially the backglass/translite. I just don't get the random green one at the top. I do like the shooter rod though.

#1239 1 year ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Yes he is a pinsider. A local flipper. Very nice older guy. Doesn't bother with these kind of threads though. Doubt he did the LEDs himself.

#1240 1 year ago

Merry Christmas from my fat red GI Santa!

IMG_20171217_152956451~01~01 (resized).jpg

#1241 1 year ago

If you're going to sell something, you deserve to have it nitpicked. And that's an outright mess, so it's not even getting nitpicky to criticize the LEDs.

#1242 1 year ago

I know it's a Pinsider, don't care. If you're going to ask money for it, expect criticism.

FB_IMG_1513554208598 (resized).jpg

#1243 1 year ago

Ohhh, the Purple cops are out to get you. Too many gas fumes out in that garage?

Just Fugly. And possibly unplayable.

#1244 1 year ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Just Fugly. And possibly unplayable.

No matter the bulb choices, a game is playable. The ball still rolls on the playfield, and you don't have to play in the dark. They should kill the LEDs in the backbox on that HS though, creates too much of a reflection on the PF glass.

#1245 1 year ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

No matter the bulb choices, a game is playable. The ball still rolls on the playfield, and you don't have to play in the dark. They should kill the LEDs in the backbox on that HS though, creates too much of a reflection on the PF glass.

this is why I pull all but 6 or 7 bulbs on every game I own in every backbox. Still lights up just fine, but reduces the brightness by 80%. Works great and nobody ever knows that 75% of the bulbs are gone.

#1246 1 year ago

75% of the bulbs removed reduces the brightness by 80%?!? Are you getting fancy with that science talk again! Haha, ahh pinside!

#1247 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

75% of the bulbs removed reduces the brightness by 80%?!? Are you getting fancy with that science talk again! Haha, ahh pinside!

children-math-math_student-maths_student-percent-percentages-jlvn607_low (resized).jpg

#1248 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

actually it depends on the printing on the translite. Games like JP that have a lot of whites and yellows in them are greatly reduced, where darker translites, have less of a difference. So it actually has a range of more like 60-85%. Because say you have a spot like the sun on a JP translite. If you take out the bulbs around that area, reduces the reflective glare almost twice as much as bulbs behind the darker jungle parts of the translite.

#1249 1 year ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

An operator friend of mine used to install GI disconnect relays (that ran off the Flipper Enable Relay) to turn off back glass lights on games in his dark bar locations to reduce the glare while playing.

#1250 1 year ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

The idea missing from this thread is that Clown Puke is an extreme thing.

No, it does not actually damage the game, but it's the kind of extreme appearance mod that naturally invites negative comment.

The High Speed that is shown a few posts above is a classic "moderate" clown puked game.

The translite has two policemen glowing purple for no conceivable reason, and the playfield is just zapped all over with random rainbow colors that washes out all the original artwork.

It's awful, it literally looks like the work of a child.

How could anyone decorate a game like that and expect it to be praised as some sort of creative achievement?

We put a bunch of pink and purple light bulbs in the Lite Brite and now we demand gentle praise from mommy and daddy to maintain our self esteem?

If we can't have an authentic clown-puke-hate thread because it got too nasty of for pinside, Okay, fine, I understand. It's an inherently negative topic.

The future of the hobby holds a lot of purple faced policemen and bright red atlantis girls and everyone is going to be very polite about it.

Hooray for progress!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    € 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Dystopian Mods Italia
    € 222.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Buthamburg
    $ 259.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 248.85
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 41.00
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 159.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 126.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Great American Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 499.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 299.00
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 149.00
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 35.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    There are 4211 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 85.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside