(Topic ID: 201693)

No rainbow puke club! (Post pics of worst color gi fails)

By Mitch

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,209 posts
  • 452 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 hours ago by Haymaker
  • Topic is favorited by 106 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you dislike color GI”

• Yes get rid of it. (Welcome to the club) 248 votes
      54%
    • No I really enjoy it ( your in the wrong thread) 58 votes
      13%
    • A little is ok at the very back under ramps ( I guess you can stay) 150 votes
      33%

(456 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinside_market_157961_0 (resized).jpg
    rainbow-centaur-mens-t-shirt (resized).jpg
    FdmlqFrR_400x400 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240318_084956_Facebook (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240318_085002_Facebook (resized).jpg
    IMG_0257.gif
    Screenshot_20240314_124458_Facebook (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240312-190113 (resized).png
    Pinside_forum_8057803_0 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7360 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7324 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7307 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    id-44 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6757 (resized).jpeg
    img_0604.gif

There are 8,209 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 165.
    #1851 6 years ago

Damn...is this tired debate still going on
    We get it...some like it, some dont...nobody is going to change anybody elses opinion...time to let this thread die

#1852 6 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Damn...is this tired debate still going on
    We get it...some like it, some dont...nobody is going to change anybody elses opinion...time to let this thread die

The thing is it isn't a thread to debate it. There are 3 people making it a debate. Hopefully being ejected with relive the content bickering ; for a minute at least.

#1853 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

The thread is not specifically about LEDs. It's about colored GI. What if you use colored bulb condoms on all the incandescent in the GI?

I gotcha....I was just commenting on what someone else said. I actually like the look of incans, it's just a shame that they emanate so much heat and cause so much damage. And especially in EM's...my Vampire is the first EM I've ever put a ton of LED's in, and cool white at that. They light up the clear coated playfield much better...and I did throw a few reds in there.

If somebody doesn't like it… I could care less. I think it looks great. I even put some up in the back box, because I'm not risking ruining a rare backglass.

IMG_4199 (resized).JPGIMG_4199 (resized).JPG

IMG_4348 (resized).JPGIMG_4348 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4341 (resized).JPGIMG_4341 (resized).JPG

#1854 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

This is what I'm talking about. Purple and blue LEDs heavily criticized here...but then elsewhere....the same poster's games. That TAF and TOM look pretty blue, purple and bright to me. But I like it.
    LOTR has some blue, purple, red,....now I see why some of the advocates haven't been posting pics of their games.

Not sure what you were going for here, but my game room picture is the bottom one...not the top. I wasn't complimenting the LED choices in the top picture, just his black light carpet selection since I had never seen anyone else with the same carpet as mine. If you find any rainbow puke in the bottom gameroom picture of your post, just let me know...

lego4 (resized).jpglego4 (resized).jpg

#1855 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

You forgot much less heat, therefore less bent and burnt plastics, no damage to backglass or burnt translites, no warping of inserts. Even 47's still run hot. There are practical and sensible pros, not just aesthetic related. As said earlier in the thread, there are sunlight and warm white LED's for those who prefer the incandescent look.

Dohhhh!

How could I forget that? That's a very big pro for LEDs.

#1856 6 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Not sure what you were going for here, but my game room picture is the bottom one...not the top. I wasn't complimenting his LED choices, just his black light carpet selection since I had never seen anyone else with the same carpet as mine. If you find any rainbow puke in the bottom gameroom picture of your post, just let me know...

I stand corrected. Just now realized that you both have the same carpet, and that was apparently the reference. Don't see any rainbow puke from that angle.

The "debate" in here is getting tiresome, as Law said. It wasn't meant to be that. I have experimented with some bulb choices in the past, that in hindsight didn't look that great. Even posted pictures. Nonetheless, it seems like people have erected a fence and you have to fall on either side. Nobody pays attention to the fact that I've mentioned several times I don't like clown puked games, and that's why I came to this thread initially.

The rainbow effect is never good or looks good, and with that I agree. But then people turned it into even picking on blue bulbs in a game.

The reality is I could really care less at all about what bulbs are in a game, especially one I'm buying, because I can switch them out in a short amount of time. I think most of us have experimented with bulbs, and have found what we like, and what works for us. I play my games more than I stare at them, and my games are to my liking.

A ton of toys glued onto plastics on the other hand? That might not be able to be undone without damage, and might affect my decision to buy a particular game. Bulbs...meh. Rainbow it up, I'll just undo it later.

#1857 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Just because someone started a post named: "No More Broccoli! Total food fail!" doesn't mean people who like broccoli need to start arguing why broccoli tastes good to them lol. I think thats the disconnect here.

Well...

Technical forums like this one tend to be very polite. Which is a good thing overall.

But it seems to me that the pinball collecting community is so used to politeness, that any negative feedback at all seems like a slap to the face.

Like this thread. So that's why the thread is so pissy and contentious.

The actual subject matter of this thread is no big deal, IMHO. If you load your TAF translite up with red, green and blue bulbs, it a huge change in appearance, so it's not realistic for you to think that everyone will genuinely like it.

It's also not such a big surprise for a thread to show up eventually that's devoted to not liking it.

#1858 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

my Vampire is the first EM I've ever put a ton of LED's in, and cool white at that.

OK, before you all get your panties in a bunch. IMO: You can't really screw up Vampire - that game is ugly no matter what color lamps are in it.

#1859 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

OK, before you all get your panties in a bunch. IMO: You can't really screw up Vampire - that game is ugly no matter what color lamps are in it.

Maybe it's all the BTTF pics posted in this thread, but as soon as I read your comment all I thought was Marty yelling "no… Bastard!" when the Libyans shot Doc Brown in the mall parking lot. Haha.

I think the artwork is great and unique. To each their own.

#1860 6 years ago

I forget if I mentioned it, but my CV came with a undergame LED kit.

My wife thought it was real neato, so I installed it.

The colors of the LEDs flashed along with the game music, but it was VERY bright and actually clashed with the game artwork.

The whole arcade was flashing with green, red, blue. So I took it off and gave it away to a random pinsider for free.

It was distracting AF. Having your arcade constantly strobing with rainbow colors doesn't help your concentration too much.

the light reflects off the floor and arcade walls. I predict that a lot of those kits will find their way to the trash can after a couple of months.

I'm being a pal by saying this: see it in person before you spend your money.

#1861 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

I forget if I mentioned it, but my CV came with a undergame LED kit.
    My wife thought it was real neato, so I installed it.
    The colors of the LEDs flashed along with the game music, but it was VERY bright and actually clashed with the game artwork.
    The whole arcade was flashing with green, red, blue. So I took it off and gave it away to a random pinsider for free.
    It was distracting AF. Having your arcade constantly strobing with rainbow colors doesn't help your concentration too much.
    the light reflects off the floor and arcade walls. I predict that a lot of those kits will find their way to the trash can after a couple of months.
    I'm being a pal by saying this: see it in person before you spend your money.
    » YouTube video

I have one on my Metallica. I really don't even notice it when I'm playing.

#1862 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

Having your arcade constantly strobing with rainbow colors doesn't help your concentration too much.

Quoted from tamoore:

I have one on my Metallica. I really don't even notice it when I'm playing.

I think a lot of this comes down to how "showy" you want your set up to be. Undercab lights, mirror blades things like that; that's all for presentation. I actually bought a pair of Mirror Blades years ago and I don't notice them at all...so what's the point? But other people like having all pageantry in their house, but it's just differing opinions.
    Like I would never do an arcade style/black light carpet...but plenty of people like them.

#1863 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I think a lot of this comes down to how "showy" you want your set up to be. Undercab lights, mirror blades things like that; that's all for presentation. I actually bought a pair of Mirror Blades years ago and I don't notice them at all...so what's the point? But other people like having all pageantry in their house, but it's just differing opinions.
    Like I would never do an arcade style/black light carpet...but plenty of people like them.

That's true. I guess I wanted to create a place in my house that didn't feel like my house... So that "pageantry" is what it is. An escape to somewhere else only 12 feet away. But most of what is down there, I don't notice when I'm playing pinball. It's all window dressing.

#1864 6 years ago

Sure sure, and I can get that and understand it perfectly.

#1865 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Great word use: pageantry

I'm all about the "pageantry", but that is just my style. No issues if others are factory-stock. I design some of my own "pageantry" so it is more of a challenge to come up with something that is unique to my game room.

#1866 6 years ago

Never understood the undercab lights. I don't see them as something to show off the game, I see them as something to show off the floor. I have a shitty floor.

#1867 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Never understood the undercab lights. I don't see them as something to show off the game, I see them as something to show off the floor. I have a shitty floor.

my wife was all jazzed up about that undercab light setup before i put it on the game and we unplugged it after about 5 minutes

it amounts to a multi-colored strobe light and it is bright.

I have light colored walls and a light grey floor, it bathed the entire room in flashing light

it reminded me of being in a room when someone plays with the light switch and flashes the lights on an off real fast. annoying and distracting

I'm being a pal by advising you guys to go slow on that gizmo, it's intrusive

#1868 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

my wife was all jazzed up about that undercab light setup before i put it on the game and we unplugged it after about 5 minutes
    it amounts to a multi-colored strobe light and it is bright.
    I have light colored walls and a light grey floor, it bathed the entire room in flashing light
    it reminded me of being in a room when someone plays with the light switch and flashes the lights on an off real fast. annoying and distracting
    I'm being a pal by advising you guys to go slow on that gizmo, it's intrusive

Not sure what the controller was but most of the stuff that they sell from China has full adjustments. While I am not a fan, I would think that slow fade from a pallet of colors would be acceptable? But yeah, Disco Strobe is not conducive to playing pinball!

#1869 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Thats no more of an argument than "I like broccoli. Convince me why I'm wrong."

nobody would have to. because Broccoli is the correct choice. It's the same as White LED's in your GI's. You can support it with facts, that broccoli is a huge source of nutrients. just like you can prove that white light, backlights and illuminates the entire color pallet correctly. Scientific facts behind it.

#1870 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

nobody would have to. because Broccoli is the correct choice. It's the same as White LED's in your GI's. You can support it with facts, that broccoli is a huge source of nutrients. just like you can prove that white light, backlights and illuminates the entire color pallet correctly. Scientific facts behind it.

Yeah, but scientific or not: Some like broccoli, some dont.

#1871 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I make my own under-cab light sticks. They are wired to the flashers on the pin, so the light show can be pretty good. On some pins, where appropriate, I have them on the back-box as well. Lots of flashy-flashy. I have a finished floor, and nothing is allowed on the floor under the pins. Waste of space, but it is all about the pageantry of it. :p

#1872 6 years ago
    Quoted from PersonX99:

I make my own under-cab light sticks. They are wired to the flashers on the pin, so the light show can be pretty good. On some pins, where appropriate, I have them on the back-box as well. Lots of flashy-flashy. I have a finished floor, and nothing is allowed on the floor under the pins. Waste of space, but it is all about the pageantry of it. :p
    » YouTube video

Sorry, but the only thing that should be stuck to the underside of a pinball game is chewed gum.

#1873 6 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1874 6 years ago

26196275_164690217629535_3438652182441337373_n (resized).jpg26196275_164690217629535_3438652182441337373_n (resized).jpg
    For sale too. Only $3500!!!

#1875 6 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Sorry, but the only thing that should be stuck to the underside of a pinball game is chewed gum.

(a) gum is nasty. who wants to look like a cow grazing anyway?
    (b) pageantry
    (c) Imagine a rock concert without all those flashy lights. Would it be as good?
    (d) Imagine if all the ladies stopped wearing makeup & shaving selective areas of the body. Get ready for the Fury of Furry. :p

Just saying....some people prefer a little bit flash-n-finish in their lives. Unlike wearing white after Labor Day, it is not a criminal offense.

#1876 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Yeah, but scientific or not: Some like broccoli, some dont.

but you have other options of good choices. Like carrots, cauliflower and what not. just like doing the GI's correctly. Warm white, Cool white, sunlight.

You have some options but there are still correct and incorrect choices.

#1877 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

but you have other options of good choices. Like carrots, cauliflower and what not. just like doing the GI's correctly. Warm white, Cool white, sunlight.
    You have some options but there are still correct and incorrect choices.

We'll to use your analogy, I smoke -and there are plenty of other healthy "correct" options. Yet, I still choose to smoke.

#1878 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

We'll to use your analogy, I smoke -and there are plenty of other healthy "correct" options. Yet, I still choose.to smoke.

just like there are plenty that choose not to be able to see the ball, and think that the xmas tree look on their game is ok.

#1879 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

We'll to use your analogy, I smoke ...

Living the dream!

#1880 6 years ago

Under cab LED lighting is right up there with LEDing the underneath of a car. Both are equally awful looking and pointless.

#1881 6 years ago

Not even simulated pinball is safe from puking!

#1882 6 years ago

lw3_1 (resized).JPGlw3_1 (resized).JPG

lw3_2 (resized).JPGlw3_2 (resized).JPG

#1883 6 years ago

At the heart of the argument is the fact that the games were originally designed for white incandescent bulbs for both GI and accents (like inserts).

When you put colored bulbs for accent lighting in the GI sockets on the playfield and back box, it doesn't quite work perfectly because the game artwork was not designed for colored bulbs.

So technically, it's "incorrect" to use colored lighting for GI since the game was designed for white bulbs.

If you were working at the Williams factory in 1992 and you put all purple bulbs in a TZ, the supervisor would say it was incorrect.

The "incorrectness" manifests itself in the form of the general weirdness of the look of the game, like the Rod Serling's face being purple. Or the playfield art sort of disappearing into a haze of purple light.

From an aesthetic standpoint, it's NOT "incorrect". If someone wants to paint their entire game with day-glo orange marking paint and thinks it's beautiful, then it's beautiful. There's no wrong answer from an aesthetic standpoint.

Technically, clown puke is wrong because GI lighting was not designed for colored accent bulbs.

Aesthetically, it is not wrong, because beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

BTW, you don't need to use an analogy to illustrate a simple point. if you're talking about vegetables in a pinball thread, you're making work for yourself.

#1884 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

At the heart of the argument is the fact that the games were originally designed for white incandescent bulbs for both GI and accents (like inserts).
    When you put colored bulbs for accent lighting in the GI sockets on the playfield and back box, it doesn't quite work perfectly because the game artwork was not designed for colored bulbs.
    So technically, it's "incorrect" to use colored lighting for GI since the game was designed for white bulbs.
    If you were working at the Williams factory in 1992 and you put all purple bulbs in a TZ, the supervisor would say it was incorrect.
    The "incorrectness" manifests itself in the form of the general weirdness of the look of the game, like the Rod Serling's face being purple. Or the playfield art sort of disappearing into a haze of purple light.
    From an aesthetic standpoint, it's NOT "incorrect". If someone wants to paint their entire game with day-glo orange marking paint and thinks it's beautiful, then it's beautiful. There's no wrong answer from an aesthetic standpoint.
    Technically, clown puke is wrong because GI lighting was not designed for colored accent bulbs.
    BTW, you don't need to use an analogy to illustrate a simple point. if you're talking about vegetables in a pinball thread, you're making work for yourself.

Dude.. Just admit you don't like broccoli already.....GEEZE!!!!! :-/

#1885 6 years ago

holy crap, that LW3 is awful. Nearly every insert is blue? Damn, colorbombing inserts need its own thread for that one!

#1886 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

Does anyone read this guy's posts? I know I don't.

tl:dr and broken record

#1887 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

You are right, it is not wrong and I think more the case where some people have more money than taste.

#1888 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Does anyone read this guy's posts? I know I don't.
    tl:dr and broken record

I read them, but they are redundant. There wasn't even a comment that was being responded to.

#1889 6 years ago
    Quoted from mwong168:

You are right, it is not wrong and I think more the case where some people have more money than taste.

i-have-good-taste-but--i-dont-have-the-money-to-prove-it (Small) (resized).jpgi-have-good-taste-but--i-dont-have-the-money-to-prove-it (Small) (resized).jpg

#1890 6 years ago

Lol, what does this thread consist of, three people sitting around nit picking everyone's games. LOL, man, some pinsiders need to get a life outside of their mother's basement. Who gives a shit what people do to their games.

The lighting police are here to protect and serve!!!! We just got done with our pricing duties but a knight's duties never rest!!!

I like pinball, met some cool people but I'll tell you, there are a ton of weirdos in this hobby. I guess because it's sort of in the gaming realm.

pinball geek (resized).jpgpinball geek (resized).jpg

#1891 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Dude.. Just admit you don't like broccoli already.....GEEZE!!!!! :-/

Man I love me some broccoli.

Quoted from Djshakes:

Lol, what does this thread consist of, three people sitting around nit picking everyone's games.

Wow fresh picture dude. How timely.

#1892 6 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

Lol, what does this thread consist of, three people sitting around nit picking everyone's games. LOL, man, some pinsiders need to get a life outside of their mother's basement. Who gives a shit what people do to their games.
    The lighting police are here to protect and serve!!!! We just got done with our pricing duties but a knight's duties never rest!!!
    I like pinball, met some cool people but I'll tell you, there are a ton of weirdos in this hobby. I guess because it's sort of in the gaming realm.

You are so edgy but chill!

#1893 6 years ago

That LW3 made me go look for the pics of mine when I owned one a few years back. I didn't color bomb it, but I did have fun making those dynamite bomb sticks.

20140914_194748 (resized).jpg20140914_194748 (resized).jpg

IMG_5899 (resized).JPGIMG_5899 (resized).JPG

#1894 6 years ago

Here's a good shot of when I owned No Fear. Pinside squashes the pic if I rotate it, not sure why it's coming in sideways.

20150327_201356 (resized).jpg20150327_201356 (resized).jpg

#1895 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

not sure why it's coming in sideways.

The heavy red at the top is making it fall over sideways.

#1896 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

Holy shit dude, all i can think about everytime I read your posts is "Broken record"

I never thought anyone's posts could bore me to sleep any faster than Black Knights but you have absolutely achieved that!

#1897 6 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

No, he would probably say "you're fired!"

#1898 6 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

How many people are going to come to the thread about hating clown puke and then whine bitterly that there are people posting that they hate clown puke in it?

Apparently, the rules of life are that you either have to like everything you see or else keep silent.

If you don't like something and you dare to say so, that means you're a hater or a weirdo and you need to get a life.

And apparently this is the only hobby that has such disgusting, negative people in it. If you went to a Porsche website and showed off the 911 that you pimped out with wheel spinners and zebra stripe apholstery, the Porsche fanatics would all cheer you on and congratulate you.

#1899 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

I read them, but they are redundant. There wasn't even a comment that was being responded to.

I was responding to the last 20 pages of people wrangling about broccoli. And now smoking.

And lots of injured parties whining that other people are trying to keep them from enjoying their clown puke and trying to tell them what to do. And whining about how awful everyone is.

That is redundant AF and also somewhat irrelevant, but you're fine with it. Surprise!

#1900 6 years ago

WOW

You guys are finding some superb examples of clown puke. This thread is like the puke olympics.

It's just a senseless mass of garish lights and the play field art is almost indistinguishable.

Perfect puke job.

b3e06d7ef7468b9eebb4b3a9b6c3a1883ae25215 (resized).jpgb3e06d7ef7468b9eebb4b3a9b6c3a1883ae25215 (resized).jpg

There are 8,209 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 165.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails/page/38 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.