(Topic ID: 201693)

No rainbow puke club! (Post pics of worst color gi fails)

By Mitch

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,211 posts
  • 285 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by Bryan_Kelly
  • Topic is favorited by 59 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you dislike color GI”

• Yes get rid of it. (Welcome to the club) 170 votes
      56%
    • No I really enjoy it ( your in the wrong thread) 42 votes
      14%
    • A little is ok at the very back under ramps ( I guess you can stay) 92 votes
      30%

(304 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,040 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

giphy (resized).png
    shitbusters (resized).jpg
    shit park (resized).jpg
    vandamme.gif
    744806EF-DFE7-4175-85A3-2F8EC324C6EB (resized).jpeg
    FB_IMG_1573330701664 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1573330699423 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20191107-062419 (resized).png
    2019-led-neon-ba-sign-ip-66-led-digital-tube-led-dmx-tube-color-color-changing-led-tubes-colour-changing-led-tube-lights (resized).jpg
    48-T8-4-COLORED-Tube-Guard-Fluorescent-Plastic (resized).jpg
    ten2or (resized).png
    F973E105-579A-40FB-BDDC-188A2369F9C4 (resized).jpeg
    blouses.gif
    yT5yerJ.gif
    prince-symbol-elmas-polat-basoglu (resized).jpg
    Untitled (resized).png

There are 4211 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 85.
    #851 1 year ago

For what it's worth, I think the clown puke phenomenon will pass in due time.

Something new comes along, everyone gets all excited and goes overboard.

Then everyone sobers up and says "What the heck was that all about?"

14c92bd542c0b5439ca9add17b18655a--current-fashion-trends-trousers-fashion (resized).jpg

#852 1 year ago
    Quoted from irobot:

For what it's worth, I think the clown puke phenomenon will pass in due time.
    Something new comes along, everyone gets all excited and goes overboard.
    Then everyone sobers up and says "What the heck was that all about?"

You would like to think that - in fact, you would think that with RGB already in the games to the point where even when you don't have bulb sockets to provide an option for LEDs that would enough to stifle the "phenomenon" ...but now we have all these extra LED strip mods that are installed stadium style, across the backboard, on the apron, in the shooter lane, under the game, in the speaker grills and more, with no end in sight.

img_5825 (resized).jpg

#853 1 year ago

Attack From Madness

#854 1 year ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Attack From Madness

And that's not even a real pin, that's a virtual pin. There's no playfield LEDs there.

#855 1 year ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

And that's not even a real pin, that's a virtual pin. There's no playfield LEDs there.

I know, and that's his point. Even when you can't swap the playfield LEDs, people are still finding ways to screw everything else up with LEDs.

#856 1 year ago

Doh

IMG_6207 (resized).PNG

#857 1 year ago

Oh crap. I hope that is not my FBC or I would not have sold it. Not kidding either.

#858 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you will never better yourself without constructive criticism.
    and this involves more than just ones opinion. Just like dealing with sound, there is a science behind lighting and doing it the right way. Sound is the exact same thing. Sure you can setup your sound system however you want, but if you don't understand the science behind it. You will probably fail. So when you have experts come in and point you in the direction on how you can get the most out of it. Should probably listen to them.

Still waiting for the "Experts". Plus, you are not telling me anything, I use incandescent bulbs (except in one case). I just need to know who put you and these other Experts in charge. I agree with you, it looks terrible. I also didn't like Andy Warhol Art that sells for millions. Yoko Ono either. There are experts that say it is great,and valuable.
    This trend is a young versus old thing. You want to know who the Experts are? OEM.

#859 1 year ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

I just need to know who put you and these other Experts in charge....

I agree with you, it looks terrible.

Fine poeple like you did agreeing with us. Thanks bro.

#860 1 year ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Still waiting for the "Experts". Plus, you are not telling me anything, I use incandescent bulbs (except in one case). I just need to know who put you and these other Experts in charge. I agree with you, it looks terrible. I also didn't like Andy Warhol Art that sells for millions. Yoko Ono either. There are experts that say it is great,and valuable.
    This trend is a young versus old thing. You want to know who the Experts are? OEM.

Anyone that does art for a living is pretty much an expert when it comes to color and light distribution. Especially people who are masters at color matching. Which is a science and an artform all it's own. Just like a sound engineer that does concerts, is considered an expert in sound dynamics. Since i do this for a living, and others here who have a background in theatrical lighting would be considered experts in this field. Even if you dont' like andy warhol or Yokos art....the fact still remains, that their art pieces are illuminated with................wait for it.........................WHITE light!!......Holy shit, who would have guessed that paintings are displayed with white warm lights.

And I was all for incadescents for the longest time. LED technology was not to the point of good light distribution until about 5 years ago. Once the warm whites and cool whites had just as good if not better light distribution than incadescents, I finally moved to LED. But there are very few brands that i'm satisfied with for use in GI's and backboxes.

#861 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Even if you dont' like andy warhol or Yokos art....the fact still remains, that their art pieces are illuminated with................wait for it.........................WHITE light!!......Holy shit, who would have guessed that paintings are displayed with white warm lights.

YOU DON'T KNOW!!! Maybe John Youssi draws in a studio illuminated solely by Christmas lights and that's how he wants his art displayed.

There were some real Light Emitting Disasters posted on Facebook tonight in Pinball for Sale.

#862 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

others here who have a background in theatrical lighting would be considered experts in this field.

I'm going to have to disagree with this statement, as I don't feel theatrical lighting experts are experts in lighting a pinball machine. They use a LOT of color in most stage productions.

This stage really pops!

170 (resized).jpg

#863 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Anyone that does art for a living is pretty much an expert when it comes to color and light distribution.

Since i do this for a living, and others here who have a background in theatrical lighting would be considered experts in this field.

bwahahaha.. that might be the dumbest thing I read on pinside! I use wobble lights, trouble lights and l.e.d. work lights when i drywall.. does that make me an expert in ALL lighting applications too?!? Shweeet

#864 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

bwahahaha.. that might be the dumbest thing I read on pinside!

You must be new here

#865 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You must be new here

Haha...ok, dumbest thing I've read so far this morning!

#866 1 year ago

It's Christmas everyday at my house. Elves, Trolls and naked Reindeers all welcomed.

#867 1 year ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

I don't think this topic has anything at all to do with lighting expertise or a lack of expertise.

Nor does it have any lofty philosophical aspect at all.

It's very simple.

Some people are putting the brightest and most colorful lights they can in their games.

Some people think it looks good and some people think it looks like crap.

The end.

We can all wax philosophic about art and lighting, but the only actual measure of the thing is the appearance of the games.

This whole thread is full of pictures of games that are lit up like a construction site at night and glowing with day-glo purple and pink and red and blue.

Go ahead and and fill 200 pages with internet bicker BS and you're still defending a guy who inexplicably filled an Atlantis translight with bright red LEDs.

The guy put bright red bulbs in an atlantis backbox.

He took a picture and posted it.

Some people think it looks great.

Some think it looks like ass.

The people who think it looks great will call the people who don't like it "haters".

And they'll say that everyone has a right to their own opinion. (Irony!)

And they say that "the haters" are trying to keep them from doing what they want with their own property. (Here we come to kick your door in! Oh no!)

That's it.

#868 1 year ago

led1 (resized).jpg

#869 1 year ago

If you are very desperate to get philosophical about this, then consider the following:

What is the guiding philosophical principal behind the clown puke phenomenon?

The general idea is that MORE brightness and MORE color is better.

In actual practice, it takes the following form:

Your TZ translite has a blue area on it, and so you put a bright blue LED behind it to make the whole area glow day-glo blue.

And the blue LED makes Rod Serling's face look greenish.

To me, it looks like the work of a 5 year old.

To you, it makes it "pop".

The end.

#870 1 year ago

Nah, my 5-year old boy has better taste than to clown puke our TZ.

Clown puke harms playability. I was really irritated about this row of pins at Pin-a-Go-Go one year that had all blue GI. I think it was a Dirty Harry, Demolition Man, and one or two others. On top of that, they used black pinballs. You could barely track the ball. It was a total joke. It was obvious that this person favored their crappy aesthetic over play.

#871 1 year ago

Like many others have done, I have blue LEDs under my Taxi upper lane plastics. It looks good matched with the blue plastics, and I don't think it destroys the art. "The horror"...

374550_4891216835922_1822409102_n (resized).jpg

#872 1 year ago

Like I said, we can bicker and talk philosophy for a year, but the acid test is to simply look at the clown puke and judge it on its own merit.

Judge for yourself if the upper picture or lower picture looks better and proceed accordingly.

76ff5dd4ccfe145fbab618702a58713038ba0450 (resized).jpg

#873 1 year ago
    Quoted from irobot:

I don't think this topic has anything at all to do with lighting expertise or a lack of expertise.
    Nor does it have any lofty philosophical aspect at all.
    It's very simple.
    Some people are putting the brightest and most colorful lights they can in their games.
    Some people think it looks good and some people think it looks like crap.
    The end.
    We can all wax philosophic about art and lighting, but the only actual measure of the thing is the appearance of the games.
    This whole thread is full of pictures of games that are lit up like a construction site at night and glowing with day-glo purple and pink and red and blue.
    Go ahead and and fill 200 pages with internet bicker BS and you're still defending a guy who inexplicably filled an Atlantis translight with bright red LEDs.
    The guy put bright red bulbs in an atlantis backbox.
    He took a picture and posted it.
    Some people think it looks great.
    Some think it looks like ass.
    The people who think it looks great will call the people who don't like it "haters".
    And they'll say that everyone has a right to their own opinion. (Irony!)
    And they say that "the haters" are trying to keep them from doing what they want with their own property. (Here we come to kick your door in! Oh no!)
    That's it.

Quoted from irobot:

If you are very desperate to get philosophical about this, then consider the following:
    What is the guiding philosophical principal behind the clown puke phenomenon?
    The general idea is that MORE brightness and MORE color is better.
    In actual practice, it takes the following form:
    Your TZ translite has a blue area on it, and so you put a bright blue LED behind it to make the whole area glow day-glo blue.
    And the blue LED makes Rod Serling's face look greenish.
    To me, it looks like the work of a 5 year old.
    To you, it makes it "pop".
    The end.

Dude, thanks for posting here every single day... I f***ing LMAO!!!! You're really pissed off with the world, aren't you? Oh wait, don't need to answer now... I just hit the start-button...

#874 1 year ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Like many others have done, I have blue LEDs under my Taxi upper lane plastics. It looks good matched with the blue plastics, and i don't think it destroys the art. "The horror"...

But, like, it does look worse than white. That's the rub.

#875 1 year ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Dude, thanks for posting here every single day... I f***ing LMAO!!!! You're really pissed off with the world, aren't you? Oh wait, don't need to answer now... I just hit the start-button...

My posts make you roll on the floor laughing because they're so absurd!!

And you also figured out that I'm a bad person because you disagree with me!!

Gee whiz, what an awesome counter argument.

I have no reply because I'm playing checkers and you're playing 3D chess!

Benjamin Disraeli, is that you?

Or is it John Locke?

#876 1 year ago

I'm starting to think there is a correlation between clown puke and IQ

#877 1 year ago

Sweet looking IM just popped up for sale on my local classifieds this morning

IM (resized).JPG

#878 1 year ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I'm going to have to disagree with this statement, as I don't feel theatrical lighting experts are experts in lighting a pinball machine. They use a LOT of color in most stage productions.
    This stage really pops!

yes, theatrical is a different animal. they use colors in different ways to change the mood of a scene. Depending on the scene and effect they are going for, they usually are not trying to illuminate the props detail. In your example, there really isn't any artistic props around. They are trying to use color to highlight the actors, and take away from the fact that there isn't much background to play on. It's a different kind of science behind it, but still a science.
    Where painting artists use color and light to display and the paint sets the tone and mood. the ink/paint does the talking, and shows best with warm or cool light, depending on the color composition used.

And yes......JAR......an artist could make a painting or drawing for an art show that creates it with the intent to be displayed with a certain kind of light. But if he is doing that for effect, he is going to be very particular on what color pallet he uses, knowing how it's going to be displayed. It's like, if you are making a painting for black light, you are going to use black light ink.

#879 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

And yes......JAR......an artist could make a painting or drawing for an art show that creates it with the intent to be displayed with a certain kind of light. But if he is doing that for effect, he is going to be very particular on what color pallet he uses, knowing how it's going to be displayed. It's like, if you are making a painting for black light, you are going to use black light ink.

Certainly we know better though, right? I mean, I GOTS TO GO BLUE.

#880 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

bwahahaha.. that might be the dumbest thing I read on pinside! I use wobble lights, trouble lights and l.e.d. work lights when i drywall.. does that make me an expert in ALL lighting applications too?!? Shweeet

your example is flawed. If you are hanging drywall, your expertise is in hanging drywall. Not lighting the room. Just like I use a compressor everyday for spraying clearcoat. Doesn't mean i'm an expert in repairing my compressor.

#881 1 year ago

It's a principal of science that illuminating multi-colored printed art with monochromatic light will make it hard to see the art.
    If you don't agree with that, you're not stating an opinion, you're just wrong on a point of fact.

So the question is : Is it a good thing to make the printed art look less visible for the sake of a (allegedly) cool glow?

#882 1 year ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

You would like to think that - in fact, you would think that with RGB already in the games to the point where even when you don't have bulb sockets to provide an option for LEDs that would enough to stifle the "phenomenon" ...but now we have all these extra LED strip mods that are installed stadium style, across the backboard, on the apron, in the shooter lane, under the game, in the speaker grills and more, with no end in sight.

Well, we shall see.

I think you are forgetting that a lot of these LED products are actually really obnoxious and the bright bulbs hurt your eyes a little.

Did you ever play a game with an LED undergame kit? The flashing strobe effect is very distracting. It would be VERY easy to get tired of it.

I think it will be easy for players to become annoyed with the mess of color and brightness once the novelty wears off.

#883 1 year ago

The issue myself an other have is the everyone throwing everyone together in the your a clown puker club. The people ranting its scientific fact, and you are wrong if you put a color LED in GI. If you use color you have a low IQ. People climbing on their platform trying to wave thier dick around that they are an expert. I red, blued up a pinbot because the playfield was pretty shit and it helped hide some flaws. You can use color LEDs if you like it and its ok. You guys can have you laughs but its not humor when you just talking shit about people and trying to be superior.

#884 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

your example is flawed. If you are hanging drywall, your expertise is in hanging drywall. Not lighting the room. Just like I use a compressor everyday for spraying clearcoat. Doesn't mean i'm an expert in repairing my compressor.

people love to use analogies to explain simple ideas that don't need any analogy

a lot of times the analogies are flawed and then the argument spirals off into left field

a thread on clown puke becomes a thread on drywall and compressor repair.

Here's how i think the argument should be handled:

The clown puke fans should man up and post up some pictures of their clown puked games.

So we can all enjoy their day-glo beauty.

Then everyone can judge the merits of clown puke on the basis of the actual games and not some pointless wrangle about drywall.

The CPers need to put up or shut up.

#885 1 year ago

Nah, let's make this a little more understandable easier to relate to, because the purpers are having a hard time understanding. Colored bulbs in GI are:

- Socks with sandals
    - Fanny packs
    - Man buns
    - Tucked in hoodies
    - Popped collars
    - Muffler whistles
    - Baby blue leisure suits
    - Singing bass
    - Beer guzzler hats
    - Leopard print pants
    - Checking your Twitter feed during a movie in the theater
    - Crocs
    - Truck nutz

#886 1 year ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

The issue myself an other have is the everyone throwing everyone together in the your a clown puker club. The people ranting its scientific fact, and you are wrong if you put a color LED in GI. If you use color you have a low IQ. People climbing on their platform trying to wave thier dick around that they are an expert. I red, blued up a pinbot because the playfield was pretty shit and it helped hide some flaws. You can use color LEDs if you like it and its ok. You guys can have you laughs but its not humor when you just talking shit about people and trying to be superior.

Well, I'm probably one of most anti-clown-puke guys on this site.

I don't think the topic has anything to do with scientific fact.

I don't think I'm an expert and I never even hinted at it. What is there to be an expert about? Colored lights in a pinball game?

My comment about IQs is due to the fact that the clown puke fraternity apparently cannot frame an argument that isn't ad-hominem.

I don't want or need to feel superior, I just think the whole clown puke thing is gross looking.

People clown puke their games, other people heap praise on the games, but I think they look like crap.

Once again:

The evidence is the games themselves. Post up pictures of your games and let people decide if they like it or not.

If they like it, they'll clown puke their games too. If they don't, they won't

It's that simple.

#887 1 year ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

You guys can have you laughs but its not humor when you just talking shit about people and trying to be superior.

Jesus christ man take your pity party to the other acceptable threads.

Do you think anything you say to us is going to change our minds? Of course not, so what is the point? That you've felt you've done a good deed for the day? I know what it's like discussing a topic with you; it's never ending and never leads anywhere.
    I mean clown pukers like Kvan at least get it, it's a funny shit talking back and forth and it's fun. We don't need to start filling up this thread with Canadian tears.

#888 1 year ago
    Quoted from irobot:

Post up pictures of your games and let people decide if they like it or not..

Have you actually read this thread as my games are in it. There are plenty of people in the thread raving about scientific fact.

#889 1 year ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

raving about scientific fact

mlp_xkcd_science_by_byter75-d533827 (resized).png

#890 1 year ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Nah, let's make this a little more understandable easier to relate to, because the purpers are having a hard time understanding. Colored bulbs in GI are:
    - Socks with sandals
    - Fanny packs
    - Man buns
    - Tucked in hoodies
    - Popped collars
    - Muffler whistles
    - Singing bass
    - Beer guzzler hats
    - Leopard print pants
    - Crocs
    - Truck nutz

Ahh, bud...?

McMurphy: What are you doin' here? You oughta be out in a convertible bird-doggin' chicks and bangin' beaver.

#891 1 year ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

There is no science behind it. It's just a plank of wood with a steel ball. Shine enough light and mole could see that ball. The rest is just preference and hot air.

#892 1 year ago
    Quoted from jar155:

- Socks with sandals
    - Fanny packs
    - Man buns
    - Tucked in hoodies
    - Popped collars
    - Muffler whistles
    - Singing bass
    - Beer guzzler hats
    - Leopard print pants
    - Crocs
    - Truck nutz

as I was reading this list, the truck nuts popped into my head and I was going to add it to your list...but low and behold, there it already is.

#893 1 year ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

There is no science behind it. It's just a plank of wood with a steel ball. Shine enough light and mole could see that ball. The rest is just preference and hot air.

lighting is a science. Just like doing sound at a concert. I suppose you think that's not a science either.

#894 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

lighting is a science. Just like doing sound at a concert. I suppose you think that's not a science either.

Light is science. Packets of photons IIRC from my freshman yr physics classes. Lighting a pin is not. Again, I agree some of these silly looking games are bad. I'm just in the camp that is not a purist. I like some color in the games, like BSD, for ex: the purplish UV that lights up the graveyard and village..it makes it look more eerie than milk white. People can clearly judge the MM posted here looked better before. Also that Shadow is a tragedy...the game is called "The Shadow" for crissakes not "The Light". Oh well..not my problem.

#895 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

One of the things I've done is sound engineering. Still do it, in fact. It's amazing how not science it is. It's like saying painting is science. It's not. It's art. I suppose setting up a system for a room can be science, as there is a procedure, but after that it's all ears.

#896 1 year ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

but after that it's all ears.

or SMART. Depending on the engineer...

#897 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

as I was reading this list, the truck nuts popped into my head and I was going to add it to your list...but low and behold, there it already is.

Let's not forget Parachute pants!

PPants (resized).jpg

#898 1 year ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

the MM posted here looked better before.

Definitely!

#899 1 year ago

Welcome to Pinside Science 101 with Professor Everyone

#900 1 year ago
    Quoted from jar155:

But, like, it does look worse than white. That's the rub.

My wife likes it, and I value her opinion more.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 269.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 18.99
    Playfield - Protection
    PinShield
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 9.95
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 20.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    There are 4211 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 85.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside