(Topic ID: 201693)

No rainbow puke club! (Post pics of worst color gi fails)

By Mitch

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,221 posts
  • 286 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by MD_Pinball_Dude
  • Topic is favorited by 60 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you dislike color GI”

• Yes get rid of it. (Welcome to the club) 172 votes
      56%
    • No I really enjoy it ( your in the wrong thread) 42 votes
      14%
    • A little is ok at the very back under ramps ( I guess you can stay) 93 votes
      30%

(307 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,049 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D5E438BD-2C59-4AB0-9113-D1ACFE45B3A6 (resized).jpeg
    55BD8D3D-78E5-47D8-A17E-0AE009BE40C1 (resized).jpeg
    18FC6223-DEF1-4ACB-9067-63B607D6F113 (resized).jpeg
    CaptainPuketastic (resized).png
    white vs blue comparison (resized).jpg
    tumblr_pl8y6pgAoY1v9fn1io1_400.gif
    bigg (resized).jpg
    20191112_112905 (resized).jpg
    20191112_112859 (resized).jpg
    giphy (resized).png
    shitbusters (resized).jpg
    shit park (resized).jpg
    vandamme.gif
    744806EF-DFE7-4175-85A3-2F8EC324C6EB (resized).jpeg
    FB_IMG_1573330701664 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1573330699423 (resized).jpg

There are 4221 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 85.
    #2551 1 year ago
    Quoted from bbhenry2000:

Guess who's back. LOL. Have a good day.

Just stop stirring the pot and go find another thread to bitch about in.

#2552 1 year ago

Fixed the GI on the WCS that I also bought and saw this when I powered it on.

At least I have a bunch of white 555s on hand and it's an easy swap unlike Jurassic. They aren't even bright purple, it's weak assed low light purples. What to do with all these purple bulbs I have now?

20180306_105956 (resized).jpg

20180306_110016 (resized).jpg

20180306_110005 (resized).jpg

#2553 1 year ago
    Quoted from irobot:

Actually this translite is a good showcase of why clown puke will never work with any trranslite.
    The colors in the original translite and the placement of the bulbs is about as good as you're going to get for the purpose of clown puking a game.
    But it still looks like day-glo electric stank ass
    The bulbs never match the color of the art and they wash away all the shading and detail.

this is the exact reason that you cannot use colored bulbs in something that illuminates things. The only time you could get away with it, is if the picture is one solid color, and surrounded by all black or black detail. then and only then could you get away with a colored bulb behind it. And that's if, that area was big enough so none of the light bled over into other artwork. This is the science behind it.

#2554 1 year ago

And here's World Cup Soccer de-purpled as it should be.

20180306_180757 (resized).jpg

20180306_180753 (resized).jpg

#2555 1 year ago

I was actually impressed to see much less of this at LAX. MOST of the games were nicely done without overdoing the colored bulbs.

#2556 1 year ago

True , there is actually a shortage of purple leds. I was talking to a supplier in China and they are charging a 20% premium o purple. Now i know why .

#2557 1 year ago

I present to you...Eight Ball DUH-Luxe

28685962_10212609463445615_2850448128052797844_n (resized).jpg

#2558 1 year ago

Only 207 dollars for the kit!

46A018F3-14DC-446C-969D-D927D64BEC07 (resized).png

E65149AD-407C-440B-91FE-D912DA6B6D0D (resized).png

FC5AA72C-0CE0-48C2-B3A2-0A9826F919D8 (resized).png

5A76FFBD-12C3-49D8-983C-3BB563A1859D (resized).png

#2559 1 year ago

It's....it's......it's.......BEAUTIFUL!!!

#2560 1 year ago

When-Kramer-Gets-Blinded-Light.gif

#2561 1 year ago

Both games not working but they are waxed with raibow leds.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/61295

#2562 1 year ago

Yikes, what a couple of pinball tragedies.

#2563 1 year ago

This one sure “caught my eye”

619670A8-C413-424B-91DE-19F2EE84926A (resized).jpeg

#2564 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

terminator + smurf haze + pink = AWESOME

#2565 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

That's a nice way to put it. I was ready to go see the eye doctor....

#2566 1 year ago

Good game if you could see the ball.

0C07EFAB-932F-463B-A1C0-1277017ABE67 (resized).jpeg

#2567 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

Good game if you could see the ball.

Well it's a Stern rolling stones so probably not worth it

#2569 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well it's a Stern rolling stones so probably not worth it

Lol. I couldn’t make out the game without getting a headache.

#2570 1 year ago

I don't understand why this clown puke thing is so popular.

Why do so many people want their game to disappear into a haze of purple or blue?

Back in the 1990s I was a big muscle car fan and I would go to car shows. A lot of the mopar guys would paint their car one of the crazy 1960s extra-cost factory colors like "panther pink" or "plum crazy".

hardly anyone ordered the colors back in 1969 or 1970 because most of the "high intensity" colors aren't actually very attractive. A bright pink Cuda is not as cool looking as the standard colors, of which there were about 30.

People back in 1970 were buying a car to drive around in, not to be a neato collector icon from a romanticized period of american consumerism.

So anyway, now you go to the mopar meet and there are 50 pink and purple mopars lined up. It's kind of stupid looking.

Is that the clown puke mentality? Make every game purple so "pops" next to the standard looking games.

Then eventually every game will be "purple popped" and they'll all look the same.

because these clown puked games already all look the same, you have to stare at the playfield photos for a minute to figure out what game it is.

#2571 1 year ago

Maybe I should sell a kit that injects color blobs into LCD TVs. You can watch your stellar 4K blu-ray content with the added POP of purple, green, and blue blobs all around the scene. Imagine that breathtaking visuals of Dunkirk with a sweet, sweet purple haze making the forboding waters of the English Channel pop.

#2572 1 year ago

A pinball machine is a game to be played, not a game to look at. Aesthetics aside (as we all know aesthetics are 100% subjective), if you look purely at the functionality of purples, pinks, blues, reds, greens, and any other color as general lighting, those light frequencies are terrible, as in completely non-functional, for seeing the ball, which is 100% objective. Ever wonder why worklights or lights in any workplace are natural white or warm white? It's so that people can SEE what they are doing. If any of the other colors work better than white to light up your area, then you would expect to see them in other functional locations.

Save for the fact that a color bombed GI is ugly, you also can't enjoy the damn thing because you're guessing where the ball is 100% of the time. Might as well watch a TV show while you're flipping.

#2573 1 year ago

color preference of a car is just opinion and subjective. It is NOT the same as colored bulbs in the GI's.

Color of the car does not destroy the artwork of the vehicle
    The vehicle still is usable as intended regardless of color

Colored GI's
    Ruins all of the art in that region.
    Makes the game unplayable in any conditions that are dimmer than the sun. If you are in a room bright enough to overpower the GI lighting, then it won't matter if the GI's are even on. Making your game playable once again.

I don't why these guys do colored GI's anyway. You can't tell me they can even see it with their head so far up their asses. :/

#2574 1 year ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Maybe I should sell a kit that injects color blobs into LCD TVs. You can watch your stellar 4K blu-ray content with the added POP of purple, green, and blue blobs all around the scene. Imagine that breathtaking visuals of Dunkirk with a sweet, sweet purple haze making the forboding waters of the English Channel pop.

cut out the middle man and make eyeglasses with purple haze lenses

BOOM

maximum poppage

why eat a boring old tuna salad sandwich when you can make that sandwich POP

ef96e23318ec9a004c6f3d951c98c49b46d9e4ea (resized).jpg

#2575 1 year ago

Oh! Does this count? It’s another t2

1823663C-93CB-4A95-AE19-E26CB1C74ECB (resized).png

#2576 1 year ago
    Quoted from irobot:

I don't understand why this clown puke thing is so popular.
    Why do so many people want their game to disappear into a haze of purple or blue?

I searched some things to see if I could formulate some possible answer to this question. The purple LED craze is everywhere, for sure. I've seen debates about it in PC hotrodding forums, you'll see it on every type of electronics: from speakers to television backlighting, on vehicles for ground effects and passenger compartment lighting. So why is purple the most commonly abused LED lighting?

All in all, purple communicates in a positive way. It is said to have the power to uplift, calm nerves and encourage creativity, making it an all-inclusive color. All ages, genders and cultures can relate to purple. Here are four specific things that purple communicates.

1. Royalty
    A universal connection that people make with purple is its association with royalty, nobility, and prestige. Purple was the royal color of the Caesars. In ancient times, the color purple in stained glass was seen as uniting the “wisdom” of blue and the “love” of red, therefore symbolizing justice and royalty. It’s symbolic of wealth and status in Japan.

2. Value
    These notions of royalty cause purple to communicate a sense of value. For this reason, the highest value poker chip ($5,000) is purple.

3. Sacredness
    Purple is also considered sacred, especially in the natural world. In Egypt, purple is symbolic of virtue and faith. In Tibet, the purple stone, amethyst, is considered to be sacred to Buddha. In Christianity, purple is associated with Advent and Lent.

4. Bravery
    Purple is symbolic of bravery. The purple in the U.S. military Purple Heart award represents courage. The Purple Heart is awarded to members of the United States armed forces who have been wounded in action.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-some-good-purple-leds

rBVaGFZiZa6AAZqDAAPMSsQgpeg353 (resized).jpg

A30R_1_20150716475839930 (resized).jpg

61mI6T3JsBL._SY355_ (resized).jpg

#2577 1 year ago

Lighting up a game as much as possible with the brightest and most colorful bulbs is so pointless and random and in such poor taste that it seems to me like a matter of low IQ.

I'm not saying that as an insult. Coarse, tacky tastes are province of dumb, unsophisticated people.

When you see a guy with a neon green Honda Civic, drinking a Seagrams 7 and Mountain Dew and waving his WrestleMania tickets, you don't say, "Gee whiz, that guy must be European royalty or a nuclear scientist. There's no way that he could be a high school drop out that lives in mom's basement."

When you look at a translite with purple and pink bulbs in it, you're not looking at the product of refinement and intelligence.

There is a brain dead vulgarity to the Clown Puke phenomenon. Random color blobs are the not something that comes from complex thought processes.

#2578 1 year ago

LOOKIT GUYS, LOTS A CULLURS!!

WOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Untitled (resized).png

#2579 1 year ago

This is from a ebay ad, the guy is selling this atrocity as a kit.

Un focking real.

It's literally a mess of random color blobs that is sold as an enhancement.

I defy you to find a more stupid and tacky looking translite. The purple Cue Ball Wizard one is a close runner up.

large (resized).jpg

#2580 1 year ago

Clown puke is the silicon ass cheek implants of pinball.

Combined with a septum nose ring and a lower back tattoo that says "Princess" in swirly fancy script.

#2581 1 year ago

6NquxZr (resized).png

#2582 1 year ago
    Quoted from irobot:

Clown puke is the silicon ass cheek implants of pinball.
    Combined with a septum nose ring and a lower back tattoo that says "Princess" in swirly fancy script.

LOL !!!!!

#2583 1 year ago

Today I got rid of the awful blue and green GI in Jurassic Park. The entire middle of the playfield was still very dark and the game seems like it needs spotlights in a few area. Instead, I temporarily made "stadium" style light strips for the sides. These are way too bright and they aren't RBG, so no remote for at least brightness controls. But in the meantime I can play the game and see all the shots. This light kit will go into Slugfest and I'll order an LED kit with a remote to install in JP to dim the lights a bit.

20180312_205033 (resized).jpg

20180312_225615 (resized).jpg

#2584 1 year ago
    Quoted from irobot:

This is from a ebay ad, the guy is selling this atrocity as a kit.
    Un focking real.
    It's literally a mess of random color blobs that is sold as an enhancement.
    I defy you to find a more stupid and tacky looking translite. The purple Cue Ball Wizard one is a close runner up.

Futures so bright I gotta wear shades.

#2585 1 year ago

THIS WAS POSTED FOR SALE WITH THE DESCRIPTION IN ALL CAPS.

Research needs to be done into the correlation between people who use all caps in for sale ads and people who use pink LEDs in their GI.

Screenshot_20180313-074527 (resized).jpg

#2586 1 year ago
    Quoted from spiroagnew:

THIS WAS POSTED FOR SALE WITH THE DESCRIPTION IN ALL CAPS.
    Research needs to be done into the correlation between people who use all caps in for sale ads and people who use pink LEDs in their GI.

Looks like white GI to me. Between the lanes, reflections off the upper arch, the bulbs themselves. I'm thinking its mostly from the camera, because there is so much pink art and plastic on this game.

#2587 1 year ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Looks like white GI to me. Between the lanes, reflections off the upper arch, the bulbs themselves. I'm thinking its mostly from the camera, because there is so much pink art and plastic on this game.

You'd want to colour match the white LEDs under the playboy bunny symbols and the white lane guides. You have to colour match pink everywhere else, brah.

#2588 1 year ago

"Rob Zombie and Scared Stiff have VU LED lighting turned on.... The boney beast sure comes alive ... Steve - MI Pinball Refinery "

Sorry Steve - had to do it.

1b8e8a3a5b90ad2abd451f9d5661c96bc95551bc (resized).jpg
    05a5298371a697934fb09b7a3f299754edeb5011 (resized).jpg

#2589 1 year ago

Jesus... And they fight over whom invented that garbage

#2590 1 year ago

I get that digital cameras amplify the effect a bit but holy moly.

#2591 1 year ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Today I got rid of the awful blue and green GI in Jurassic Park. The entire middle of the playfield was still very dark and the game seems like it needs spotlights in a few area. Instead, I temporarily made "stadium" style light strips for the sides. These are way too bright and they aren't RBG, so no remote for at least brightness controls. But in the meantime I can play the game and see all the shots. This light kit will go into Slugfest and I'll order an LED kit with a remote to install in JP to dim the lights a bit.

It's gone from Jurassic Dark to Jurassic Park! Good work, man.

#2592 1 year ago

And following that Jurassic Park reference, this quote from Ian Malcolm is appropriate here:

Ian: Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.

#2593 1 year ago

Translite actually isn’t that bad.

E3727D3E-94FC-4639-8B66-6377B8AF4D2D (resized).png

#2594 1 year ago

Another puked game with default high scores. Happens so often.

#2595 1 year ago

star-trek-TNG-data-Geordi-glasses-1387804097I.gif

#2596 1 year ago

Crap!! Toppers now have to be included into this thread. Found in the Hardtop playfield thread. Ugghhh...Hardtop Playfield New Product Announcement . (resized).png

#2597 1 year ago

The lighting matches the gameplay quality perfectly.

Capture3 (resized).JPG

#2598 1 year ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

The lighting matches the gameplay quality perfectly.

The colored lighting around the machine doesn't do the cabinet art much good.

#2599 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Crap!! Toppers now have to be included into this thread. Found in the Hardtop playfield thread. Ugghhh...

That’s terrible. Topper and all the unneeded blue really ruins the game.

#2600 1 year ago

Didn’t know Creature was suppose to be so blue/teal. I bet it makes him feel blue.

7500B235-8ADE-495A-BE53-68B415051CA9 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 999.00
    € 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 28.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 239.00
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    € 8.10
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 115.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Playfield - Plastics
    Mod Magic!
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    There are 4221 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 85.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside