(Topic ID: 201693)

No rainbow puke club! (Post pics of worst color gi fails)

By Mitch

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,211 posts
  • 285 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by Bryan_Kelly
  • Topic is favorited by 59 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you dislike color GI”

• Yes get rid of it. (Welcome to the club) 170 votes
      56%
    • No I really enjoy it ( your in the wrong thread) 42 votes
      14%
    • A little is ok at the very back under ramps ( I guess you can stay) 92 votes
      30%

(304 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,040 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

giphy (resized).png
    shitbusters (resized).jpg
    shit park (resized).jpg
    vandamme.gif
    744806EF-DFE7-4175-85A3-2F8EC324C6EB (resized).jpeg
    FB_IMG_1573330701664 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1573330699423 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20191107-062419 (resized).png
    2019-led-neon-ba-sign-ip-66-led-digital-tube-led-dmx-tube-color-color-changing-led-tubes-colour-changing-led-tube-lights (resized).jpg
    48-T8-4-COLORED-Tube-Guard-Fluorescent-Plastic (resized).jpg
    ten2or (resized).png
    F973E105-579A-40FB-BDDC-188A2369F9C4 (resized).jpeg
    blouses.gif
    yT5yerJ.gif
    prince-symbol-elmas-polat-basoglu (resized).jpg
    Untitled (resized).png

There are 4211 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 85.
    #701 1 year ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

To be fair, my games often have the default high scores on them because after my guests leave, I take the batteries out to wipe out their scores so I can get back on the list easier.........

#702 1 year ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

To be fair, my games often have the default high scores on them because after my guests leave, I take the batteries out to wipe out their scores so I can get back on the list easier.........

That sounds like one for the "confessional" thread.

#703 1 year ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I'm a week and a half late, but HOLY JEEZ THESE ARE HIDEOUS.
    Enough with the UV. Enough with the blue. Enough with the purple. No more.

Yeah, ok...thanks for the input.

#705 1 year ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

New Ebay listing...
    "Do you like LED lights? If so, you will not find a game with more!"

This is like a bit from a comedy movie.

"Do you like pinball? Well this machine is FULL of pinballs! "
    [Sight-gag of pinball machine so completely full of balls that none of them can even move.]

"Uh, wow, that's sure is a lot of pinballs."
    "It sure is! Say, you want coffee?"
    "Sure. [thinks a second]... uh, no wait!"
    [Firehose.]

#706 1 year ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

New Ebay listing...
    "Do you like LED lights? If so, you will not find a game with more! This terminator 3 pinball is loaded with LED strips. They can change color, flash, or remain the same. Two LED remotes allow you to customize your T3 playfield. Their is even a customized LED light behind the back box. A blue light is also under the cabinet. The entire playfield and flashers are LED. The metal ramps even have LED strips added!"

WOW

That is unreal

WTF are people thinking?

it's crazy

#707 1 year ago
    Quoted from Boof-Ed:

I guess the key is learning from your mistakes. This was my second pinball and my first attempt at LEDs 5 years ago. Then a different pin I restored a month ago. I'm still learning.

i think a lot of people are going to end up throwing a lot of colored led bulbs in the trash when the clown puke craze passes into oblivion

there was a time when denim leisure suits were the coolest thing you could wear (while drinking your martini and rossi on the rocks)

#708 1 year ago

this thread makes me glad

I have seen a lot people post up pictures of their newly clown puked games and everyone praises the mess to the high heavens

that was puzzling, because right on the face of it the puke games look absurd and a lot of times they are bright enough to hurt your eyes

why did the bulb vendors even come up with a lot of this crap? who was asking them for a GI bulb that's 10x as bright as the game was designed for?

#709 1 year ago

seriously, why do people want a mega watt GI bulb in their game?

do they read the newspaper under the light of a couple of 500w construction lamps?

#710 1 year ago

brightness isn't a problem as much as the choice to put color where white needs to be. Some of the new sterns are too bright and could be toned down a bit. You think with this big bad board system they just think is the cats ass, you could adjust the brightness in the settings. Just another failure on the spike list.

#711 1 year ago
    Quoted from irobot:

seriously, why do people want a mega watt GI bulb in their game?
    do they read the newspaper under the light of a couple of 500w construction lamps?

It's actually pretty simple, and a self feeding thing.
    First the change all the inserts to super bright levels. This makes the GI look really dark and harder to see so then you have to keep pumping up the lumens to even it out.

Do you know how you can't see the PF or the ball on you machines at home when you're playing them? No, me neither

The other very real reason is people have extremely poor eyesight. Even before LEDs were everywhere people still adding spotlights to their PFs. I didn't understand it because I have the same games and I can see everything fine.

EDIT: You also have the upgrading issue with people juts want the most of anything they can get. LE is exactly the same as a Premium, why would you by one? Because it's the highest model. Was it last year when Art(?) maybe came up with a photoshopped pic of a flasher with 50 LEDs on it as a joke? And people thought it was real and were gobbling it up trying to order.

#712 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

brightness isn't a problem as much as the choice to put color where white needs to be.
    Just another failure on the spike list.

That is where we disagree; brightness is all part of the sickness. People are buying new Stern & JJPs and adding massive amounts of light to them.

#713 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

It's actually pretty simple, and a self feeding thing.
    First the change all the inserts to super bright levels. This makes the GI look really dark and harder to see so then you have to keep pumping up the lumens to even it out.
    Do you know how you can't see the PF or the ball on you machines at home when you're playing them? No, me neither
    The other very real reason is people have extremely poor eyesight. Even before LEDs were everywhere people still adding spotlights to their PFs. I didn't understand it because I have the same games and I can see everything fine.

Do you play in the dark or with overhead lights on? I think this makes a difference.......

#714 1 year ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Do you play in the dark or with overhead lights on? I think this makes a difference.......

Playing in a bright room seems like a bigger pinball sin to me. Pinball always equates to a dark arcade or pub. If I'm by myself I play with the lights out, if people are over then with lights dimmed. Maybe that's why so many people find invisaglass worth the money and I find it basically pointless.

#715 1 year ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Honestly I play every way. I play full lights, dimmed lights, and no lights; all in a basement.
    Boy that doesn't sound very cool does it.
    But anywhom, There are very few games that are really really dark. My DH is probably my darkest game and the only one I would have trouble seeing...but I don't. That's with LEDs in inserts

Quoted from Darscot:

Pinball always equates to a dark arcade or pub.

We've talked aboot this many times and you have people from your angle, and then people like me saying I grew up in arcades playing and never played in the dark once. Always wondered if that factors into it as we grow up.

Quoted from Darscot:

Maybe that's why so many people find invisaglass worth the money and I find it basically pointless.

Ha that's another interesting topic as I find it pointless as well.

#716 1 year ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Lights on...almost always. I even think they look better that way. My lights aren't super bright though.

#717 1 year ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Pinball always equates to a dark arcade or pub

I've never seen a totally dark arcade... or pub for that matter.

#718 1 year ago

Most of the arcades I played in were fairly dark, and I prefer to play with the lights off today. I think it's easier to play with the lights on though.

#719 1 year ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

I've never seen a totally dark arcade... or pub for that matter.

Really, arcades were always dimly lit and pins were always in the dark corner of a pub. They are not pitch black but they are not exactly bright. Back in the day I always thought they kept them dark on purpose to keep the play time down.

#720 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

We've talked aboot this many times and you have people from your angle, and then people like me saying I grew up in arcades playing and never played in the dark once. Always wondered if that factors into it as we grow up.

My arcade growing up was in the basement section of a strip mall. Not a window to be had anywhere. No lights except over the pool tables. Only light we had was from the game marquees and attract modes. Man those were the days. There are some games that are a nightmare to play in pitch black. LIke DE with their flashing GI's they like to do on most titles.

#721 1 year ago
    Quoted from irobot:

why did the bulb vendors even come up with a lot of this crap? who was asking them for a GI bulb that's 10x as bright as the game was designed for?

Because All Pinball Manufacturers, and many customers asked for them.

The Twin SMD are in every new Stern, since AC/DC.

Not the Vendor...its the poor use of by people.

#722 1 year ago

d10a0d6693041f2c34cf04755c7d0262f428b1c0 (resized).jpg

#723 1 year ago

On sale in the UK with LED "upgrade" ahhhhh my eyes!

24774930_10155271624963940_7434377216451733119_n (resized).jpg24852360_10155271625073940_640325733959090067_n (resized).jpg

#724 1 year ago
    Quoted from matt_adams:

In the UK with a traditional 'Merican event like the Indy 500...no wonder the world hates us!

#725 1 year ago
    Quoted from matt_adams:

that is straight up fawking awful. How the hell can anyone think that is even remotely good. I have indy500 and it's nice and bright, and looks great everywhere. You can't see shit on this thing. Makes this game look like a piece O'shit.

stevie loves colored LEDs (resized).jpg

#726 1 year ago

Check out this beauty.

Who wants to play Atlantis when you can play Red-lantis?

Red-lantis is more gooder!

9c5fce459872cdbe2901b9c8ad18526723fbd252 (resized).jpg

#727 1 year ago
    Quoted from matt_adams:

wow that looks like ass

#728 1 year ago

two good games in a row, drastically violated without lube.

#729 1 year ago
    Quoted from matt_adams:

A3B42EB7-E3AF-4DF2-9065-6AD778F40C38 (resized).jpeg

#730 1 year ago

Why play dumb old Twilight Zone when you can play Rainbow Zone?

It's more rainy and more bowy

fa901b85cc2eb994a8150ca2cc96f12d5b847ba8 (resized).jpg

#731 1 year ago

I have been following this Thread and agree many of the examples look blown out.
    Some of them look great (that received scrutiny). I see what everybody is trying to say, blown out neighborhoods of the same color led look disco.
    To someone they looked rad and worth doing. Don't take the happiness away, OK?.

#732 1 year ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

I have been following this Thread and agree many of the examples look blown out.
    Some of them look great (that received scrutiny). I see what everybody is trying to say, blown out neighborhoods of the same color led look disco.

If someone needs a "safe space" and wants to keep the "happiness" they got from a $200 Pinstadium lighting kit they should avoid this thread.

Period. Screw them.

This thread is specifically for people who recognize bad taste and general trash lighting.

We do like people who come to defend these abominations simply for the "laugh at you" affect. It lets us know who not to buy from (without an LED discount) or Sell To (without a decency clause).

#733 1 year ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

That's why it stays in this thread. If people enjoy the unicorn shit look, they shouldn't be in a thread for people that dislike it. I read on another thread people saying this thread is damaging to the community and mean spirited. That couldn't be further than the truth, there aren't any personal attacks, it's just having a laugh and showing people other ways to do things. It's all in good fun and a little educational as well.

#734 1 year ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

That's why it stays in this thread. If people enjoy the unicorn shit look, they shouldn't be in a thread for people that dislike it. I read on another thread people saying this thread is damaging to the community and mean spirited. That couldn't be further than the truth, there aren't any personal attacks, it's just having a laugh and showing people other ways to do things. It's all in good fun and a little educational as well.

Are you serious? Please link the thread. I normally avoid the "look at what I did crap" but if there are tasteless snowflakes thinking "we are damaging" the community I'd love to laugh in their faces. How may of them have been doing this for decades and devoted huge parts of their lives to the restoration and playing of these games.

#735 1 year ago

I am going to risk moderation with this. But I am thinking of not being silent anymore. When I see a puke game in a for sale or any other "look at what I did" thread I think we should pound these people. And the companies that encourage this crap. It is not that we are not "being nice" we simply believe this is not good.

#736 1 year ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

And crackheads love to sit in an alley all day and shit on themselves as they smoke the rock. Doesn't make it right.

#737 1 year ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

the sad part of this thread, is that many of these games are FS games on facebook. Selling a game is like selling a house. You may think painting a bathroom fuchsia looks great. Here's the problem. You might think your sickly looking bathroom is awesome. That's fine. But when it comes time to sell the house. You better be prepared to either paint it, or lower the cost of the house. Because it doesn't show well anymore. If you don't stick with the white or neutral paint pallet, you are restricting your buyers market, to you, and the one other person in the world that might think it looks good too. Same is for color LED's in the GI's. You and Stevie Wonder might think this color shitfest looks good. But your buyer market is drastically reduced. So either change them to warm white, or lower your price where someone can't say no. Choice is up to you.

#738 1 year ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Are you serious? Please link the thread. I normally avoid the "look at what I did crap" but if there are tasteless snowflakes thinking "we are damaging" the community I'd love to laugh in their faces. How may of them have been doing this for decades and devoted huge parts of their lives to the restoration and playing of these games.

It was in that "Pinside opinions" thread from a couple days ago. My phone won't let me link it.

#739 1 year ago
    Quoted from irobot:

Why play dumb old Twilight Zone when you can play Rainbow Zone?
    It's more rainy and more bowy

Hmm. Color bomb a Twilight zone pinball. A pin based on a black and white T.V. show ...

#740 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

t But your buyer market is drastically reduced. So either change them to warm white, or lower your price where someone can't say no. Choice is up to you.

Well, the buyer market for people with good taste may be reduced, but there is still a market for the folks that like colorbombed GI. Personally, I dabbled in it a little but those games are now gone - sucessfully sold or traded I might add.

Of course, we can't really be certain if some of the buyers of these games didn't rip the colors out right after they bought the games, but these pins are getting marketed to folks who like that stuff. My personal example is I sold my Pinbot with color GI. I certainly wouldn't reduce the price if you came to me and said I needed to because it had color LEDs. If I say the games worth X - it's worth that and what I will take for it...whether it has color LEDs, white LEDs, incandescent bulbs...or even no bulbs just empty sockets.

Recently sold on EBay:

s-l1600 (resized).jpg

s-l1600b (resized).jpg

#741 1 year ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1024-pinballbulbs/00535-demolition-man-pinball-ultimate-led-lighting-kit

Where the problems begin. Only $269 dollars to make your game look terrible.

Have to love the description.
    "This is a gorgeous Pinball LED lighting kit for the Demolition Man Pinball."

Screenshot_20171208-074537 (resized).png

#742 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

In the UK with a traditional 'Merican event like the Indy 500...no wonder the world hates us!

I love a bit of Indy car and I500

Still have incandescent 44s in my GI and leds in the inserts and spotlights but it looks ok (well I think so!)

20171207_193800 (resized).jpg

#743 1 year ago

I'll bet all the people that color bomb their GI live in this house...

6868333424_d34b411f5e_z (resized).jpg

#744 1 year ago
    Quoted from matt_adams:

I love a bit of Indy car and I500
    Still have incandescent 44s in my GI and leds in the inserts and spotlights but it looks ok (well I think so!)

Yes, it looks very nice to me. I can actually see what the artist wanted us to see.

#745 1 year ago

Just showed up on local clist today.

Only 3k, lol. Must be an upcharge for the awesome LEDs. I also love when someone spends more time adding light and light up toys rather than aligning the flippers.

SST colorcraptaculor (resized).jpg

#746 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1024-pinballbulbs/00535-demolition-man-pinball-ultimate-led-lighting-kit
    Where the problems begin. Only $269 dollars to make your game look terrible.
    Have to love the description.
    "This is a gorgeous Pinball LED lighting kit for the Demolition Man Pinball."

I was just looking through the sellers kits, and pretty much every single one is hideous.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1024-pinballbulbs

#748 1 year ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Just showed up on local clist today.
    Only 3k, lol. Must be an upcharge for the awesome LEDs. I also love when someone spends more time adding light and light up toys rather than aligning the flippers.

Ha!! I just caught that!! Those bats have the droops for sure.

#749 1 year ago

DIY "Pinstadium" lighting that I made yesterday for Big Hurt. This game is so damn dark even with the spotlights I added to the slings and experimented with small LED strips here and there. I had the Metallica Creeping Death UV strips that I had used on TFTC, but since TFTC is tore apart right now I tried these out. I removed the UV LED strips from the angle plastics and replaced with white LED strips for $8.

What's funny is the creeping death lightning decals on the plastic strips perfectly fit Big Hurt. Matches up exactly with the lightning on the backbox and playfield. Very nice to be able to see the entire playfield evenly lit.

Whaddya think? First 3 pics are before and the rest are after.

20171207_171307 (resized).jpg
    20171207_171249 (resized).jpg
    20171207_171256 (resized).jpg

20171207_171324 (resized).jpg

20171207_171328 (resized).jpg

20171207_171334 (resized).jpg

20171207_171650 (resized).jpg

20171207_171343 (resized).jpg

20171207_171701 (resized).jpg

20171207_171710 (resized).jpg

#750 1 year ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

DIY "Pinstadium" lighting that I made yesterday for Big Hurt. This game is so damn dark even with the spotlights I added to the slings and experimented with small LED strips here and there. I had the Metallica Creeping Death UV strips that I had used on TFTC, but since TFTC is tore apart right now I tried these out. I removed the UV LED strips from the angle plastics and replaced with white LED strips for $8.
    What's funny is the creeping death lightning decals on the plastic strips perfectly fit Big Hurt. Matches up exactly with the lightning on the backbox and playfield. Very nice to be able to see the entire playfield evenly lit.
    Whaddya think? First 3 pics are before and the rest are after.

That looks really nice!! I also like that the light reflects off of the wire ramps spreading more light across the field. Kind of looks like those ramps are glowing white. Does that game not have lighted slings?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    $ 15.00
    $ 10.50
    Playfield - Decals
    The MOD Couple
    $ 229.99
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 19.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 12.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 32.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 41.00
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Williamson Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 160.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 6,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 129.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    There are 4211 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 85.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside