(Topic ID: 201693)

No rainbow puke club! (Post pics of worst color gi fails)

By Mitch

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,211 posts
  • 285 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by Bryan_Kelly
  • Topic is favorited by 59 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you dislike color GI”

• Yes get rid of it. (Welcome to the club) 170 votes
      56%
    • No I really enjoy it ( your in the wrong thread) 42 votes
      14%
    • A little is ok at the very back under ramps ( I guess you can stay) 92 votes
      30%

(304 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,040 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

giphy (resized).png
    shitbusters (resized).jpg
    shit park (resized).jpg
    vandamme.gif
    744806EF-DFE7-4175-85A3-2F8EC324C6EB (resized).jpeg
    FB_IMG_1573330701664 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1573330699423 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20191107-062419 (resized).png
    2019-led-neon-ba-sign-ip-66-led-digital-tube-led-dmx-tube-color-color-changing-led-tubes-colour-changing-led-tube-lights (resized).jpg
    48-T8-4-COLORED-Tube-Guard-Fluorescent-Plastic (resized).jpg
    ten2or (resized).png
    F973E105-579A-40FB-BDDC-188A2369F9C4 (resized).jpeg
    blouses.gif
    yT5yerJ.gif
    prince-symbol-elmas-polat-basoglu (resized).jpg
    Untitled (resized).png

There are 4211 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 85.
    #651 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

Color LEDs should come with a warning label that reads: CAUTION - FOR INSERTS ONLY. GI should always whites - warm or cool to taste/game.
    The issue gets confusing when you have color-changing GI like in Star Wars. Most of the time it's white but on some modes on the new code it changes to blue and red. The jury is still out on this.

I like this effect in SWLE, its not overdone and sometime work really well. I think the best i have seen was the lightsaber duel. Just like they rarely use the shaker motor which I like too.

#652 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

...Like on my atlantis. there are a ton of white inserts. So I color matched things to help players identify things. Like all the number 1's are in red, and lock 1 is in red. So people know you have to hit all the 1's to light lock 1. all number 2 standups are green and lock 2 is green. And so on. ....

Just when you think you know someone

#653 1 year ago

colored LED's in inserts were never an issue, as long as the text on those inserts is printed in black or white. if they are colored printed inserts on white, then you have to use white. otherwise the insert art will suffer the same fate as these sorry ass games we have seen in this thread.

#654 1 year ago

Just horrible. WTF!!!

23376561_1943070675910176_6743746282775930226_n (resized).jpg

#655 1 year ago

this thread is like the walk of shame if your pin ever shows up.

#656 1 year ago

4 (resized).jpg

#657 1 year ago

My Christmas tree is getting Jealous!

#658 1 year ago

I’m gonna get hammered for saying this but here goes:

1) Due to cameras limited exposure range photos always overblow the magnitude of these effects. It’s often not that bad in real life with your own eye.

2) With standard incandescent bulbs my older Bally/Williams look old/tired next to Stern machines.

3) I take a measured approach to this: a) only warm whites in EMs b) mostly warm whites in pre DMD solid states with maybe a color accent in the back c) solid single color approach on some machines where warranted if I think it looks good- black hole for instance d) Comet white spots in older DMD which is what I think gives the Sterns a lot of their pop anyway.

4) I really see nothing wrong with color accents, but yes the paint by numbers color matching for each plastic and each insert shows a certain lack of aesthetic

#659 1 year ago

Be tasteful about it?

#660 1 year ago
    Quoted from vwallat99:

Be tasteful about it?

Well The Twister is fine because...well it's a Twister and wHom gives a shit but the Centaur is disgrace.

Damn...there are many diff'rent opinions and all that horse shit but if me and my friends have to name the 5-10 best looking PF - EVERY SINGLE person is going to list Centaur. For me the best art ever, for others nothing but respect.
    To shit it out with the red is an abortion.

#661 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well The Twister is fine because...well it's a Twister and wHom gives a shit but the Centaur is disgrace.
    Damn...there are many diff'rent opinions and all that horse shit but if me and my friends have to name the 5-10 best looking PF EVERY SINGLE person is going to list Centaur. For me the best art ever, for others nothing but respect. To shit it out with the red is an abortion.

A couple of red lights makes it a disgrace? I think its pretty acceptable , It isn't overkill. Nothing taking away from the artwork.

#662 1 year ago
    Quoted from vwallat99:

A couple of red lights makes it a disgrace?

Define "a couple."

#663 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Define "a couple."

4 on the bottom and the 4 in the queens chamber? I'm pretty bold especially considering there is red in the red in lanes anyway.

#664 1 year ago
    Quoted from vwallat99:

4 on the bottom and the 4 in the queens chamber?

If you're asking me, and you are, the only facts i have to go on are your videos. And to me it looks like the most beautiful PF ever has 1/4 of it covered in a horrible awful red glow of shit. I'm sure it looks better in person.

once again I fucking hope so.

#665 1 year ago

Wow

#666 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

Wow, a bit over the top in the language department don’t ya think?

Fuck yeah

#667 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

1) Due to cameras limited exposure range photos always overblow the magnitude of these effects. It’s often not that bad in real life with your own eye.
    2) With standard incandescent bulbs my older Bally/Williams look old/tired next to Stern machines.
    3) I take a measured approach to this: a) only warm whites in EMs b) mostly warm whites in pre DMD solid states with maybe a color accent in the back c) solid single color approach on some machines where warranted if I think it looks good- black hole for instance d) Comet white spots in older DMD which is what I think gives the Sterns a lot of their pop anyway.
    4) I really see nothing wrong with color accents, but yes the paint by numbers color matching for each plastic and each insert shows a certain lack of aesthetic

yes the picture makes these look worse, but we have all seen this kind of work in real life and we all know it still looks like shit. i've seen it in peoples collections, i've seen them at shows. They always look just as shitty as the pics. Maybe in a different way, but it's still ass either way.

#668 1 year ago
    Quoted from vwallat99:

4 on the bottom and the 4 in the queens chamber? I'm pretty bold especially considering there is red in the red in lanes anyway.

red is a horrible color to try and see in. Putting red where you need to see the ball the most is always a bad idea. Reds and blues are the worst. yellow you could get away with as it's only about triple the yellow of a warm white. Anything else is just too difficult to see due to the spectrum pallet.

#669 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

red is a horrible color to try and see in. Putting red where you need to see the ball the most is always a bad idea. Reds and blues are the worst. yellow you could get away with as it's only about triple the yellow of a warm white. Anything else is just too difficult to see due to the spectrum pallet.

Was trying to get away from the yellowing look that the black and white playfield gets and didn't want anymore yellow lighting.. To each there own , Everyone I've had come through has enjoyed the look.

#670 1 year ago
    Quoted from vwallat99:

Was trying to get away from the yellowing look that the black and white playfield gets and didn't want anymore yellow lighting.. To each there own , Everyone I've had come through has enjoyed the look.

I don't like it either. You might be in the wrong club thread.

#671 1 year ago

I hope I dont go fishing for compliments too often, but my RS was at Als Christmas Party last night, (thank you Al, and Mustang Paul was down from MN), and the attention was overwhelming!

While I created the fluted lens for this reason only, GI.

I couldnt get many people to appreciate it.
    Most were hung up on Purple GI as the only thing.

Take a look at this...a bit too much glare from camera, and if you have a warm game, FT, RS, NBAFB, or just like Warm White in GI, try a 25 pack of 44/47 Fluted Warm....no benefit to me, so I dont want to appear Im plugging.

If you like the lights in MM new lighting, (this is better) or have a desire to be bold, add these, and see something pretty cool.
    Its a Twin 2835, in a Star Burst Pattern! I made 6 models of the lens at great expense, to get right and have stippled the top for disbursement. On occasion with light plastic printing, sometimes I have to mix in a frosted.

RS stood out, Im proud to share.

rs (resized).jpg

#672 1 year ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I hope I dont go fishing for compliments too often, but my RS was at Als Christmas Party last night, (thank you Al, and Mustang Paul was down from MN), and the attention was overwhelming!
    While I created the fluted lens for this reason only, GI.
    I couldnt get many people to appreciate it.
    Most were hung up on Purple GI as the only thing.
    Take a look at this...a bit too much glare from camera, and if you have a warm game, FT, RS, NBAFB, or just like Warm White in GI, try a 25 pack of 44/47 Fluted Warm....no benefit to me, so I dont want to appear Im plugging.
    If you like the lights in MM new lighting, (this is better) or have a desire to be bold, add these, and see something pretty cool.
    Its a Twin 2835, in a Star Burst Pattern! I made 6 models of the lens at great expense, to get right and have stippled the top for disbursement. On occasion with light plastic printing, sometimes I have to mix in a frosted.
    RS stood out, Im proud to share.

Looks great Art!
    Rs was the first game I did with Comet lighting. I love both fluted and faceted bulbs. They're pretty much my stoock gi bulb now. Recently started using frosted 2smd but prefer the light burst that is thrown from them.
    Thank for making them!

#673 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Agree 100%. I love led lighting. It really does bring the older dmd games to life. Nice thing about leds is they are easy to replace so it's fun to exeriment and harmless to game. Even with white bulbs you have different choices of warm, cool, and sunlight. It's their game so who cares what bulbs they use. If you buy a game with funky leds, change the bulbs to what you like. You might as well make fun of people buying games you don't like because it's the same thing to me. But yeah I get it, their are correct opinions and wrong opinions.

#674 1 year ago

In the process of devolutionizing my TWD pro back to regular incandescent bulbs. Hope the game can handle it.

#675 1 year ago

What do you guys think of lighting the trough, or mixing warm and cold? I did it in both these machines. I felt they were both a little dark. On JP I did warm under the orange and cool under blue. On Phantom I did warm on the lower part of the playfield because it's an indoor candle lit scene. I used a couple cool up top near the gargoyles to make it feel moon lit and haunted up there. Both games are very flashy and I really find lighting the trough on a constant circuit helps. It's not rainbow but my games have lots of additional lighting.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

#676 1 year ago

I mix often, where it looks good to me.

Mostly, I have used the shades of white to light progressive white inserts, like in Ironman.

white-sunlight-warm white-yellow-orange-red.

A color scheme often in the plastics in B/W,
    but some newer games were shipped with all white inserts and all white bulbs...

#677 1 year ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

What do you guys think of lighting the trough, or mixing warm and cold? I did it in both these machines. I felt they were both a little dark. On JP I did warm under the orange and cool under blue. On Phantom I did warm on the lower part of the playfield because it's an indoor candle lit scene. I used a couple cool up top near the gargoyles to make it feel moon lit and haunted up there. Both games are very flashy and I really find lighting the trough on a constant circuit helps. It's not rainbow but my games have lots of additional lighting.

both look good. POTO is a dark game and needs a boost. The artwork is some of the best out there, so to use anything but white would be horrible. I think they show very well.

#678 1 year ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I mix the warm and cool also. love the cools under blues also. But I'm not offended using color also. I don't like them in the Original GI but ad a socket and keep them hidden to show just a glow of color not saturate the playfield. Under the back of a ramp or under the playfield showing in a scoop.

#679 1 year ago

A really good pin to mix the warm and cools is in a Bad Cats.

#680 1 year ago

I guess the key is learning from your mistakes. This was my second pinball and my first attempt at LEDs 5 years ago. Then a different pin I restored a month ago. I'm still learning.

IMG_0066 (resized).JPG

IMG_0061 (resized).JPG

IMG_1178 (resized).JPG

#681 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

why destroy such great artwork. Who the hell could look at that and say to themselves......"Damn, I did a great job".

Because they're using their pinball machines as decorations.

I'll bet most of these machines awesome from about ten feet away.

#682 1 year ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Take a look at this...a bit too much glare from camera

Not just glare, but also blinding white spotting. This is a case where you can really see how different a game will look on a photo compared to real life. Even some of the disaster color bombed games look 10 or 100 times worse in pictures than in real life.

#683 1 year ago
    Quoted from Boof-Ed:

I guess the key is learning from your mistakes. This was my second pinball and my first attempt at LEDs 5 years ago. Then a different pin I restored a month ago. I'm still learning.

Yes! That’s a perfect illustration of how a lot of us looked starting out and how a pin can look if done nicely.

#684 1 year ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Not just glare, but also blinding white spotting. This is a case where you can really see how different a game will look on a photo compared to real life. Even some of the disaster color bombed games look 10 or 100 times worse in pictures than in real life.

Indeed, Cameras pull the colored/white spectrum further than they show to the eye.

However, the main goal is to see the ball and Play pinball.
    Any lighting, regardless of color that makes this harder is not correct, IMHO.
    I feel if one wants Blue in GI, if its not a small accent, it should have sockets for more white around it.
    Same in backbox. Color can be OK, when used right, but the bigger error is using the right bulb.

I agree this is harder for most all, without an investment in stock of LEDs,
    but rarely, do I ever do a game where all the bulbs are from the same series.
    If it does happen, its almost always a Stern.

Some games can be done in 2 hours, others have taken days, or revisited several times.
    A Translite gets taken in an out dozens of times. A bulb gets changed a month later.
    OCD, Anal, and a pain, but I can respect others, that just want it simple, and done.

I think the answer in this thread, and while its kinda fun to see the bad jobs, is simply as I have always shared.
    Visit a show, check out friends collection, play on both a well lit, and color bombed game, and let your eyes be the
    judge.

But a caveat. and one I share, but now know more. Had a friend who Purple bombed their GI, Blues in all GI in others,
    and then started getting migraines. Went to doctors, took meds, nothing worked.
    Stopped playing his pins, and the migraines went away.
    He is now changing all the GI to white.
    This was a conversation that concluded just this week!

Another example is my cousin who is color blind.
    When he sees a pin with white GI, he can play. With Colored GI, he not only does not see
    the color, but the extra glow from Cameras on Colored GI, he sees as a graduated wash of gray.
    For him, it was not possible to follow or even see the ball sometimes on a BSD with Blue GI.
    It was very interesting, to say the least, to get his view on how LED colors affected a game.

Anyone else here Color blind?

#685 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Just horrible. WTF!!!

200w_d.gif

#686 1 year ago
    Quoted from Boof-Ed:

awesome work. Look at the difference between one and the other. One you can actually see the playfield and ball. the other you can't see shit. This is a textbook example on why colored LED's should not be used. It's awesome that you have learned and bettered yourself. Kudos to you.

#688 1 year ago

Wow that one is pretty bad they must went out of their way to mod that back box and not only is the color bad the location of the lights is even worse.

#689 1 year ago

Wow, lots of love here for my ol acdc. Lol.
    The previous owner did the lighting and was done to be behind the original translite. It's hard to photograph. I did unplug the purple 20 led strip above the jukebox and looked great after.

20171120_204015.jpg

20171111_122126.jpg

#690 1 year ago

I'd like to offer my BSD that I had circa 3 years ago - at the time I thought this looked badass, total blue overload. If I had another I would do it very differently now!

20140728_170504 (resized).jpg

#691 1 year ago
    Quoted from Archytas:

I'd like to offer my BSD that I had circa 3 years ago - at the time I thought this looked badass, total blue overload. If I had another I would do it very differently now!

Quoted from Rascal_H:

Looks like every BSD I’ve seen. That game is a favorite for the pukers.

#692 1 year ago

Funny story I had it at a show where I was selling it - there was so much blue one of the potential buyers came up to me and asked if "Half the GI was out?" I went and looked and said no, it was fine.

The blue was that dark

#693 1 year ago

if one person realizes the error of their ways form this thread, it's all worth it. Saving one game at a time.

#694 1 year ago

f1ef43fdc80d544187b6ee292b89b2397a34bf18.jpg

#695 1 year ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Best thing you've said so far sport.......
    Here are a few tastefully lit pins with James' help of pinballbulbs.com as a counterpoint. some UV and blues in the GIs.....god forbid.

I'm a week and a half late, but HOLY JEEZ THESE ARE HIDEOUS.

Enough with the UV. Enough with the blue. Enough with the purple. No more.

#696 1 year ago

New Ebay listing...

"Do you like LED lights? If so, you will not find a game with more! This terminator 3 pinball is loaded with LED strips. They can change color, flash, or remain the same. Two LED remotes allow you to customize your T3 playfield. Their is even a customized LED light behind the back box. A blue light is also under the cabinet. The entire playfield and flashers are LED. The metal ramps even have LED strips added!"

t2 (resized).jpg

t22 (resized).jpg

#697 1 year ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

New Ebay listing...
    "Do you like LED lights? If so, you will not find a game with more! This terminator 3 pinball is loaded with LED strips. They can change color, flash, or remain the same. Two LED remotes allow you to customize your T3 playfield. Their is even a customized LED light behind the back box. A blue light is also under the cabinet. The entire playfield and flashers are LED. The metal ramps even have LED strips added!"

That might be the worst I've ever seen.

#698 1 year ago

Yup. That one is really up there. I wonder if the listing tells you if the game works or in no one even cares at this point.

#699 1 year ago

A game that looks like that isn't for play, it's for show. It would be terrible for both.

I have to laugh at how many "tricked out" games we see posted online that still have the default high scores on them. They literally spend more time putting LEDs and trinkets in than they do playing the things.

#700 1 year ago
    Quoted from jar155:

A game that looks like that isn't for play, it's for show. It would be terrible for both.
    I have to laugh at how many "tricked out" games we see posted online that still have the default high scores on them. They literally spend more time putting LEDs and trinkets in than they do playing the things.

To be fair, my games often have the default high scores on them because after my guests leave, I take the batteries out to wipe out their scores so I can get back on the list easier.........

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 209.99
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 59.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 4.00
    Electronics
    Z-connector (24 pin) Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Pimp
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 239.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    € 8.10
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 9.99
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.99
    Playfield - Other
    Lee's Parts
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    There are 4211 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 85.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside