(Topic ID: 169477)

New Game Houdini? Just Announced by American Pinball.

By RickThorn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,206 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170505_122504 (resized).jpg
20170506_201321 (resized).jpg
20170506_201325 (resized).jpg
20170506_201329 (resized).jpg
20170506_201334 (resized).jpg
20170506_201313 (resized).jpg
20170506_201339 (resized).jpg
20170506_172939 (resized).jpg
20170506_172921 (resized).jpg
tesla (resized).jpg
1m7dqw (resized).jpg
20170326_010217 (resized).jpg
20170326_010211 (resized).jpg
20170326_010205 (resized).jpg
20170326_010202 (resized).jpg
IMG_1099 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,177 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 64.
#2751 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Someone should correct this posting. It should read New HOUDINI game by American Pinball. JPOP has nothing to do with this game. Interested to see more on this work in progress..

100% spot on.

When the visual leaks start trickling in......you all are going to be shocked.

#2752 7 years ago

They seem to be very quiet for some reason.
I think there is more going on in that dark quiet factory than we know.

#2753 7 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

They seem to be very quiet for some reason.
I think there is more going on in that dark quiet factory than we know.

My thought would be recent silence to distance themselves even further from Jpop, especially with him being in some discussions since he started to ship out Magic Girls. I see Houdini coming to fruition, given that the game is already started (even though a ramp supposedly turns right into the side of the cabinet). At least there's a design, art and some functionality that can be finished. If it actually does happen, it might be my first NIB assuming I don't grab one before that happens. If it doesn't get finished, as others have said earlier in this thread, what a waste of a great theme.

#2754 7 years ago

Balcer will be at TPF end of this month.. Surely there will be some news. Not that far away.

#2755 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Balcer will be at TPF end of this month.. Surely there will be some news. Not that far away.

Maybe even some pictures?

#2756 7 years ago

After the MG Hail Mary pass, these guys have the potential to be a real competition to Stern. I liked Houdini's original design and art and I'm eager to find out if they dumped the entire design or corrected the issues. Mainly because I'm not exactly a big fan of Balcer's designs.

#2757 7 years ago

I think it's s great theme but I would never buy nib as I'm very cautious about the company. I'd wait and see how it holds up, gets coded and how support is first.

#2758 7 years ago

As magic girl is now available to some Orginal buyers , did AP complete them and ship? The last time I saw them they were just empty cabinets?

#2759 7 years ago

I like the way these guys operate. They stuck their foot in their mouth with the "MG" thing... went silent for awhile, and then out of nowhere ship the completed game to get out from under it. Now they're a little silent about Houdini, I'd imagine they're going to pop up with a nice playing prototype soon. They seem to be capable of moving faster than most companies, which could be good or bad. Fun to watch, I wish them well!

#2760 7 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

I like the way these guys operate. They stuck their foot in their mouth with the "MG" thing... went silent for awhile, and then out of nowhere ship the completed game to get out from under it. Now they're a little silent about Houdini, I'd imagine they're going to pop up with a nice playing prototype soon. They seem to be capable of moving faster than most companies, which could be good or bad. Fun to watch, I wish them well!

AP did not ship these MG's, it was JPop. Houdini will be 100% AP

#2761 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

AP did not ship these MG's, it was JPop. Houdini will be 100% AP

JPOP shipped them out but AP entirely assembled them, right? I don't think JPOP has the ability to screw anything (together) other than his investors.

#2762 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

JPOP shipped them out but AP entirely assembled them, right? I don't think JPOP has the ability to screw anything (together) other than his investors.

AP officially has nothing to do with the builds of these games. AP did not build these, JPop did.....BUT.....he had help.

#2763 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

AP officially has nothing to do with the builds of these games. AP did not build these, JPop did.....BUT.....he had help.

Ok who helped him? I am sure AP had something to do with the cabinets at least as early on they posted the picture bragging about it.

#2764 7 years ago

Here's the first glance at the new cabinet.

houdini 4 (resized).jpghoudini 4 (resized).jpg

#2765 7 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Here the first glance at the new cabinet.

[Image/post mismatch]

#2766 7 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

thumbs up x 5.

#2767 7 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Biggest bash toy I have ever seen, may pick one up for my TWD as a well walker replacement

2 weeks later
#2768 7 years ago

Pinball Magazine just got the following press release from American Pinball. Jeff Busch being is charge of art is news to me. Looks like there will not be any references on the game reminding of the design originally showing at Pinball Expo 2016. There's also a new website up for American Pinball.

--------
HOUDINI, THE GREATEST MAGICIAN OF ALL TIME COMES TO LIFE IN THE FORM OF A PINBALL MACHINE

American-Pinball™ to Launch Houdini, Master of Mystery at Texas Pinball Festival, March 24th-26th.

Chicago, IL –March 24th, 2017 - American-Pinball, manufacturer of arcade games and amusements, is excited to announce the pending world-wide release of Houdini –Master of Mystery™ pinball machine for the home, arcades, gaming centers and magic collectors. American Pinball’s Houdini Master of Mystery will be available for purchase later this year for a limited-time introductory price of $6,995,

Based in the mecca of the pinball universe just outsideChicago, IllinoisAmerican Pinball features a team with decades of industry experience and a reputation that proceedsthemselves including legendary pinball designer, Joe Balcer, Director of Software Engineering,Josh Kugler,Director of Product development,Jim Thornton and Director of Sales, Jolly Backer and Art Director,Jeff Busch.

“We’ve built an incredible team that is responsible for some of the most well-known pinball games ever created,” explained Dhaval Vasani, founder and president of American Pinball. “We’re on a mission to create an immersive and engaging pinball machine that will distinguish American Pinball from others in the industry with the goal of delivering the ultimate fun experience for everyone including hobbyists, collectors as well asgeneral magic lovers and Houdini fans.”

Houdini is a name known around the world and one that is associated with greatness. This legendary figure is now celebrated with the newest machine from American Pinball. Houdini was more than just the world’s greatest escape artist, he was an illusionist, a movie star, a debunker of psychics and some believe he was also a government spy. The Houdini, Master of Mystery pinball machine celebrates his incredible life andimmerses the player in all fun things Houdini. Become one with Houdini and experience his greatest tricks, be a part of his movies, participate in a séance and go on secret missions.

“From start to finish, the timeline we’ve achieved for Houdini is unheard of in the start-up pinball world,” explained Joe Balcer, Director of Operations. “We’ve built a team and an incredible machine in under four months.”

With a limited-time introductory of $6,995, the “Houdini-Master Mystery” will be unveiled at the upcoming Texas Pinball Festival March 24th-26th2017. Come play the magic.

Please log on to American-Pinball.com for more details.

ABOUT AMERICAN-PINBALL

American Pinball has been listening and watching the industry for quite some time and has come to the conclusion that there’s a need for a new player in town. One that has their priorities straight and believes in quality craftsmanship and a “Made in America” mentality. People want a company that’s focused first on creating an incredible game experience and less on how to make a quick buck and that’s exactly what American Pinball is all about. We believe in hiring good people with an authentic approach to the pinball industry combined with decades of industry experience that will position the company to be an innovator, leader and pioneer for years to come. The entrepreneurial spirit is one of the company’s greatest strength as it provides us with an opportunity to make strategic and quick decisions with the goal of delivering the most engaging, fun and unique pinball machines ever created. Since day one of American Pinball we knew we wanted to create a company that would distinguish itself from the industry both as a result of the company itself and the products we manufacture. Our first game Houdini, Master of Mystery will be our first real example of that.

----------

#2769 7 years ago

Interesting... I look forward to seeing and playing it at TPF.

#2770 7 years ago

So this thing will be playable there?

Still skeptical after all these other pinball startups that AP somehow is going to show everyone how it's done and get a complicated pinball machine out in record time.

#2771 7 years ago

If this is a real machine- and available in the next 90 days I would have a hard time between AFM and this one....but looks like AFM is gonna' likely get my money....

#2772 7 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Chicago, IL –March 24th, 2017 -

The first Houdini trick: playing with time
(had to check today's calendar, just to be sure)

#2773 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Still skeptical after all these other pinball startups that AP somehow is going to show everyone how it's done and get a complicated pinball machine out in record time.

if they ask for ANY deposit/ pre-payment/ anything... that would be a BAD move!!!

#2774 7 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

The first Houdini trick: playing with time
(had to check today's calendar, just to be sure)

Got it today, it didn't say anything about an embargo or when it could go out, so I figured today immediate release was fine.

#2775 7 years ago

I have some mixed feelings on the art revealed.

upside+down (resized).jpgupside+down (resized).jpg

chinese+lock (resized).jpgchinese+lock (resized).jpg

elephant+cu (resized).jpgelephant+cu (resized).jpg

#2776 7 years ago

It's like weird 1990s "digitalized" photoshopping.

Them showing closeups is probably not helping, would have been better to wait 2 days and show the entire package.

#2777 7 years ago

AP's business sense, and common sense, have been shown to be lacking. The amount of research they engaged in prior to involvement with JPOP should be an indicator of their overall business practices and acumen. Everything they do must be taken with a grain of salt as this could happen to them again, repeatedly. If a completed, working game shows up for sale, that's one thing. But if they ask for any money before the machines are completed and available, watch out. They now have a track record of bad decisions and poor research as their foundation.

#2778 7 years ago

Agreed frolic. The green glow around the key and the orange glow and bad mask around the elephant are not helping the cause. Now if that elephant is 1in in size makes a big difference but overall i think they should have released images at the show at this point with the entire thing on display. The artifacting of the JPEG compression is not helping nor is the blurry textures...but I'm hoping for a nice reveal. Who knows maybe Houdini will be the surprise of the show

#2779 7 years ago

I'm pretty sure Pinside will help critique this pinball machine's art work towards greatness!

#2780 7 years ago

HoudiniFlyer (resized).jpgHoudiniFlyer (resized).jpg

#2781 7 years ago

Where are the pics coming from?
Nothing on their website or Facebook I can see

#2782 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Yes, 2 of them at least.

#2783 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Where are the pics coming from?
Nothing on their website or Facebook I can see

Pics are on their web site: http://american-pinball.com/

#2784 7 years ago

Pretty interesting collection of folks that they have working at AP. Check out the "Who We Are" page on the site. Cautiously optimistic about seeing Houdini!

http://american-pinball.com

#2785 7 years ago

I have no idea what you guys are looking at, but that snippet of cab art is nice as heck. The details are excellent...Chris Franchi?

#2786 7 years ago

Seems they are at least sticking to the initial price point for now, wonder how long the price is at the introductory rate. Artwork reminds me of the style for the WOZ playfield

#2787 7 years ago

I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I think that artwork looks terrible. Cut & paste Photoshop fest.

Artist's home page is here: http://www.jeffbuschcreative.com

#2788 7 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Pretty interesting collection of folks that they have working at AP. Check out the "Who We Are" page on the site. Cautiously optimistic about seeing Houdini!
http://american-pinball.com

The great news is the Dot Matrix guy is the same one who did Batman Forever and Apollo 13, arguably some of the best dots from the Date East and Sega era.

#2789 7 years ago

Probably not wise to prejudge it, but:

• The $7k no preorder model has now become a limited time introductory offer (preorders), with presumably signifacant price increases thereafter.

• Art. Even if JPop's direction and production of the previous game's art was less than perfect, the artist had clear talent and craft, and was working along the right lines. Judging by the art revealed, he's been dispensed with and we now have a mid-2000s-Stern-esque clip art fest with some very basic photoshop layers. New artist may well be an old master, but he or she has clearly produced this very specific look under instruction.

• The press release is full of typos and semantic errors and is very poorly written and clearly not proof read at all.

Hmm. Doesn't bode well.

#2790 7 years ago

hmm, they def should not show closeups of the art like that... just looks horrible in my opinion. if you were gonna give a sneak peak, maybe just the translite or something in its entirety, not zoomed in shots of whatever.

#2791 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Probably not wise to prejudge it, but:
Doesn't bode well.

Your right, hold that judgement until you see the machine.

#2792 7 years ago

The artist looks talented; therefore my hunch is that much of these images are mockups to help people understand what the final game and layout will look like to understand the shots instead of showing a whitewood. I suspect that the artist will be refining these concepts into original art before the final game is shipping. It could even be Balcer's quick and dirty photoshop to give the artist an idea of how the game will play to help the artist work a little faster.

Based on the portfolio alone, I would be very surprised if this is final art.

#2793 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Probably not wise to prejudge it

#2794 7 years ago

"American Pinball has been listening and watching the industry for quite some time"

I LOLd.

#2795 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I'm not making a definitive conclusion. Hence the pre-amble.

But given what they have shown, it does bode less than well. Do you know what "bode" means?

#2796 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Do you know what "bode" means?

That thing you sail in??

#2797 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I think the position of AP nutswinger is filled and we haven't even seen the game yet. All other applicants can look for another job.

#2798 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

It's like weird 1990s "digitalized" photoshopping.
Them showing closeups is probably not helping, would have been better to wait 2 days and show the entire package.

First thing I thought was 90's Sega Photoshop. I looked up Jeff Busch....he did a bunch of 90's Sega games! Why didn't they stick with the previous artist? He wasn't John...so, should be no "bad blood" there.

#2799 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

First thing I thought was 90's Sega Photoshop. I looked up Jeff Busch....he did a bunch of 90's Sega games! .

And Balcer did a bunch of 90s Sega games. They are gettin' the band back together!!!

#2800 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And Balcer did a bunch of 90s Sega games. They are gettin' the band back together!!!

Well now that Stern has gone full hand-drawn, maybe some potential buyers are feeling nostalgic for Sega lol ...X-Files: $10k by Xmas!!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 36.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 84.99
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,177 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 64.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jpop-game-houdini-just-announced/page/56?hl=brewinbombers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.