(Topic ID: 169477)

New Game Houdini? Just Announced by American Pinball.

By RickThorn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,206 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170505_122504 (resized).jpg
20170506_201321 (resized).jpg
20170506_201325 (resized).jpg
20170506_201329 (resized).jpg
20170506_201334 (resized).jpg
20170506_201313 (resized).jpg
20170506_201339 (resized).jpg
20170506_172939 (resized).jpg
20170506_172921 (resized).jpg
tesla (resized).jpg
1m7dqw (resized).jpg
20170326_010217 (resized).jpg
20170326_010211 (resized).jpg
20170326_010205 (resized).jpg
20170326_010202 (resized).jpg
IMG_1099 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2532 American pinball is advertising in pinball life orders Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #2768 Press Release from American Pinball before TPF 2017 Posted by unigroove (6 years ago)

Post #2820 video of game reveal at TPF Posted by Khabbi (6 years ago)

Post #2829 TPF gameplay video (short) Posted by Khabbi (6 years ago)

Post #2831 Photo of Houdini backbox/translite Posted by 1iblind (6 years ago)

Post #2839 more short Houdini gameplay video from TPF Posted by Khabbi (6 years ago)

Post #2841 Video of Houdini catapult toy in action Posted by Khabbi (6 years ago)

Post #2851 Price confirmed as $6995 from sources at TPF Posted by Khabbi (6 years ago)

Post #3006 A quick review of TPF reactions. Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #3050 Some history of Houdini leading up to TPF from rosh Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 3,177 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 64.
#1 7 years ago

American-Pinball™ to Launch its First Pinball Machine at the Global Gaming Expo in Las Vegas on September 26th
Chicago, IL – September 26, 2016 - American-Pinball, manufacturer of arcade games and amusements, is excited to announce the world-wide release of Houdini - Master Mystery™ pinball machine for the home, arcades, gaming centers and magic collectors. The unveiling will take place September 26th at the Venetian Las Vegas hotel on the eve of G2E, The Global Gaming Expo.

Based in the mecca of the pinball universe just outside Chicago, Illinois, American Pinball features a team with decades of industry experience and is launching its first pinball machine under the name Houdini for several reasons. Known as a masterful magician and Harry Houdini is considered the greatest magician, conjurer and escape artist that there ever was. Captivating audiences worldwide with his legendary escapes and shows was his specialty, the Houdini™ pinball will carry on that magical tradition as a beautiful crafted pinball machine featuring a one-of-a-kind pinball theater experience with an LCD color screen and patented cabinet.

“Houdini’s escapes, illusions and handcuff challenges are world renowned even today, and formulate the basis of our inventive new pinball machine,” said president of American-Pinball, Dhaval Vasani. “Our Houdini - Master Mystery pinball machine will bring the man back to life with supremely detailed hand-drawn game artwork, inventive ball tricks, brilliantly illuminated play surfaces and spirit devices while featuring all the classic pinball features like: action jet bumpers, multi level ball stages, sculpted magic toys, secret escapes and much more.”

American-Pinball has also added a performance of new Houdini™ features to amaze players including: The Floating Ball, Water Torture Cell, Levitating Bumper, The Bullet Catch, Hindu Needle Trick, Spirit Box, Buried Alive Sarcophagus, Lock Chambers, Magic Beasts, The Séance, Milk Can Escape and Jennie the Vanishing Elephant!

“Houdini - Master Mystery pinball transforms under the hood as well with the newest game motherboards created by award winning Gigabyte Technology to drive all of Houdini’s pinball effects, full color graphics, sounds, gameplay and music,” explained Vasani.

#3 7 years ago

Makes your money disappear.

#4 7 years ago

I am RickThorn.

#5 7 years ago

Yeah, okay. Even if a legit product gets launched, after what happened with his other stuff, you'd have to be a real douche to support anything Jpop does with money.

#6 7 years ago

You had me at :

Quoted from RickThorn:supremely detailed hand-drawn game artwork,

#7 7 years ago

I have to say the modes sound awesome. Way too many machines arriving all at the same time. This is awesome! You know need $100,000 to own all of 2016's NIB titles.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Yeah, okay. Even if a legit product gets launched, after what happened with his other stuff, you'd have to be a real douche to support anything Jpop does with money.

Frolic already has one ordered. If it's epic, people's memories will be real short. Remember, 99% of potential buyers didn't get burned by JPOP.

#9 7 years ago

Where is this info from?

#11 7 years ago

In before the lock.

#12 7 years ago

Googling American-Pinball and press release yields nothing. I call BS.

#13 7 years ago

Image for trademark with serial number 87134053
Serial Number87134053
Word MarkHOUDINI
Status630 - New Application - Record Initialized Not Assigned To Examiner
Status Date2016-08-15
Filing Date2016-08-10
Mark Drawing4000 - Standard character mark Typeset
Attorney NameSteven Marsh
Statements
Goods and ServicesArcade game machines; Pinball machines
Classification Information
International Class028 - Games and playthings; gymnastic and sporting articles not included in other classes; decorations for Christmas trees. - Games and playthings; gymnastic and sporting articles not included in other classes; decorations for Christmas trees.
US Class Codes022, 023, 038, 050
Class Status Code6 - Active
Class Status Date2016-08-16
Primary Code028
Current Trademark Owners
Party NameAmerican Pinball Inc.
Party Type10 - Original Applicant
Legal Entity Type03 - Corporation
AddressPlease log in with your Justia account to see this address.
Correspondences
NameSTEVEN MARSH
AddressPlease log in with your Justia account to see this address.
Trademark Events
Event Date Event Description
2016-08-13 NEW APPLICATION ENTERED IN TRAM
2016-08-16 NEW APPLICATION OFFICE SUPPLIED DATA ENTERED IN TRAM

#14 7 years ago

Well Kaneda, I am not sure what to believe as had heard a vague rumor of this......

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Googling American-Pinball and press release yields nothing. I call BS.

Probably Kaneda fucking with us. He works in PR doesn't he? Sounds like whoever wrote this knows how to write a press release.

#18 7 years ago

They DO have the Trademark...

#19 7 years ago

SEND>>>>>>MONEY>>>>>>>NEVER!!!

#20 7 years ago

The global show is the 27th

#21 7 years ago

If this is real, I assume that the reason Rickthorn (Kaneda) has this information is because he is back to doing PR work for JPOP again.

Quoted from RickThorn:

Probably Kaneda fucking with us. He works in PR doesn't he? Sounds like whoever wrote this knows how to write a press release.

#22 7 years ago

Same patent attorney that JPOP has been using...i.e. StevenP

#24 7 years ago

This should be interesting.

#25 7 years ago

This narcissistic fool again?

Yeah, check out the posts, and trails. It's him.

#26 7 years ago

At least we won't have to wait long to know if this is in fact BS.

Would just like to point out that the heading of the PR says Sept 26, and it's the 22nd. The body says the 26th, which makes sense, but the event is the 27th-29th according to the web site. Not that it means anything, just something I saw.

#27 7 years ago

They have the trademarks registered...will be interesting for sure. I was going to post a link, but spfxtedbeat me to it.

#28 7 years ago

I like "Mystery Master" better.

#29 7 years ago

Will there be a super le

#30 7 years ago

Jpop made everyone's money vanish and now designs this? If this is for real I find it hilariously ironic.

#31 7 years ago

lol @ "patented cabinet".

#32 7 years ago

Weird thing is if you google street view you can make out this logo on the mailbox.

If it's a joke, it's sad that someone took the time to do all the "fake" websites etc.

Screenshot_20160922-174718 (resized).pngScreenshot_20160922-174718 (resized).png

Screenshot_20160922-174049 (resized).pngScreenshot_20160922-174049 (resized).png

Screenshot_20160922-174637 (resized).pngScreenshot_20160922-174637 (resized).png

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Weird thing is if you google street view you can make out this logo on the mailbox.
If it's a joke, it's sad that someone took the time to do all the "fake" websites etc.

The company is real and the founder has even said that he is working with JPOP (before toning it down a little). This presser though, is probably a load of crap put together from details about the company and JPOP c/o Pinside's favorite podcaster. Theatre was supposed to be David Copperfield. Change that to Houdini and combine concepts of Theatre and Magic Girl and it's not that hard to come up with content.

#34 7 years ago

How can I order?

#35 7 years ago

I really hope this is real. Jpop was a great idea guy, and a really bad business guy.
But if someone else is driving the train, I'm looking forward to it.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

How can I order?

Step right up!

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

I really hope this is real. Jpop was a great idea guy, and a really bad business guy.
But if someone else is driving the train, I'm looking forward to it.

REALLY? Why the "F" would anyone within the pinball community buy anything even remotely associated with JPOP? The guy runs off with almost $1 million and it's OK as long as he is not in charge?

And I don't feel sorry if Vasani didn't do his homework 1st and American Pinball goes down the drain faster than I could flush my morning dump!

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from RickThorn:

Frolic already has one ordered. If it's epic, people's memories will be real short. Remember, 99% of potential buyers didn't get burned by JPOP.

A fool and their money....there's a reason my wife and I did not go in on AIW...the whole thing was shady as f... right from the start.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

REALLY? Why the "F" would anyone within the pinball community buy anything even remotely associated with JPOP? The guy runs off with almost $1 million and it's OK as long as he is not in charge?
And I don't feel sorry if Hajabi didn't do his homework 1st and American Pinball goes down the drain faster than I could flush my morning dump!

We all know that if someone worked with JPOP and put out a killer game that actually gets made people would line up with wallets open and bent over with their pants down. The 100 or so people screwed out of money might still hold a grudge but everyone else will forget real quickly. People still buy WCS, TOM, TOTAN, and CV without much thought about it.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

We all know that if someone worked with JPOP and put out a killer game that actually gets made people would line up with wallets open and bent over with their pants down. The 100 or so people screwed out of money might still hold a grudge but everyone else will forget real quickly. People still buy WCS, TOM, TOTAN, and CV without much thought about it.

What new companies are benefiting off the designs and patents made while those games were produced?

How are they, and indeed Popaduik himself, benefitting from the secondary sales of these games?

Oh...they're not? Oops.

Meanwhile, it's almost guaranteed that "American Pinball" will be using many of the patented ideas that rope-a-DOPE forumlated with stolen money from our community in order to get yet another paycheck, and for them to get their company off the ground, but I supposed that only matters to 100 people that lost money, right?

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I wasn't one of the people screwed out of money and I still hold a grudge against Jpop and Kevin Kulek. It's like 9/11. Never forget.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

And I don't feel sorry if Hajabi didn't do his homework 1st and American Pinball goes down the drain faster than I could flush my morning dump!

He is a good designer. He didn't intentionally mess up. I talked to him for an hour and realized it's a bad idea to invest in his project. His talents shouldn't be wasted because of his past mistakes.
I wouldn't preorder this game but I'd buy it if it's good and priced right. Jpop is just an employee.

#43 7 years ago

It'd only be fair that people who've lost money on J-Pop get first dibs on pre-ordering the LE model.

#44 7 years ago

Him having a job would be the first step in getting back on his feet and maybe trying to repay those that sent him money in the first place. And no, I'm not making a joke. It's the only way it could happen.

#45 7 years ago

Don't try to justify your owning of WCS JPOP lover #1

In all serious though what is the difference? No it does not benefit JPOP or hurt the people that lost money but it proves that people in the end do not care. If it's a good game they will own it and it doesn't matter to them that a piece of sh#t that stole from a bunch of people designed it.

#46 7 years ago

I just emailed Kaneda and he confirmed he had nothing to do with this press release and hasn't spoken to John in over a year. Take it for what it's worth. Your obedient friend. Rick Thorn.

#47 7 years ago

That's a fair point o-din, but short of the justice system garnishing his "paychecks", you really think that's going to happen?

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from RickThorn:

I just emailed Kaneda and he confirmed he had nothing to do with this press release and hasn't spoken to John in over a year. Take it for what it's worth. Your obedient friend. Rick Thorn.

So you emailed yourself and then replied to yourself? Multiple Kenada personalities?

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

That's a fair point o-din, but short of the justice system garnishing his "paychecks", you really think that's going to happen?

I'm not him, but I bet he is down and out after all that. And finding any job would have been dificult. If it was me I would try, even if only a little at a time.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

proves that people in the end do not care. If it's a good game they will own it and it doesn't matter to them that a piece of sh#t that stole from a bunch of people designed it.

I guess we'll see, if in fact this thing becomes reality without pre-order money. Anyone sending any kind of money to a thing associated with John at this point deserves anything they *don't* get....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
There are 3,177 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 64.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jpop-game-houdini-just-announced and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.