(Topic ID: 169477)

New Game Houdini? Just Announced by American Pinball.

By RickThorn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,206 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170505_122504 (resized).jpg
20170506_201321 (resized).jpg
20170506_201325 (resized).jpg
20170506_201329 (resized).jpg
20170506_201334 (resized).jpg
20170506_201313 (resized).jpg
20170506_201339 (resized).jpg
20170506_172939 (resized).jpg
20170506_172921 (resized).jpg
tesla (resized).jpg
1m7dqw (resized).jpg
20170326_010217 (resized).jpg
20170326_010211 (resized).jpg
20170326_010205 (resized).jpg
20170326_010202 (resized).jpg
IMG_1099 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2532 American pinball is advertising in pinball life orders Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #2768 Press Release from American Pinball before TPF 2017 Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #2820 video of game reveal at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2829 TPF gameplay video (short) Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2831 Photo of Houdini backbox/translite Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #2839 more short Houdini gameplay video from TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2841 Video of Houdini catapult toy in action Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2851 Price confirmed as $6995 from sources at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #3006 A quick review of TPF reactions. Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #3050 Some history of Houdini leading up to TPF from rosh Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballlew.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#638 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I am starting to think my apology was for not.....why is some guy(Nicholas) from Denmark concerned with anything to do with American Pinball? Secondly , Kim M. was on A.P.'s facebook page asking for the $23K owed to him for MG & RAZA. This Nicholas guy tells Kim to stop trolling the page? Whawhawhat?!?!
This is all completely unreal..... He may not be Kaneda, but there is a connection between them
somewhere and he is just as much of a tool!

If it wasn't Kaneda it was a clone of him and good riddance.

#655 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Yeah agreed. Regardless this is nuts. He'll be texting me pics when it's unveiled. Should I just add them to this or start an official/unofficial Houdini thread?

just put them here...we don't need three threads.

#669 7 years ago
Quoted from hardware:

Thanks! Pinballlew PM'd me a similar answer, but provided a link to Kaneda's podcast. Is Pinballlew Kaneda?

I assure you I am not Kaneda. Well sht that is what kaneda would say...the link to the podcast was so you can see how he freaked out on everyone and continues to do so.

#733 7 years ago

AP must be under the spell of JPOP and listening to all of his advice on how to reveal a non flipping cabinet.

#864 7 years ago

14494691_1319501131408062_5937743291399215096_n-1 (resized).jpg14494691_1319501131408062_5937743291399215096_n-1 (resized).jpg

14502717_1319501161408059_8681814998721787670_n (resized).jpg14502717_1319501161408059_8681814998721787670_n (resized).jpg

14440771_1319501138074728_1412938910670500914_n (resized).jpg14440771_1319501138074728_1412938910670500914_n (resized).jpg

#1035 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

At least more of Houdini has been shown than BM66. Bazzinga!!!

Bet you BM66 flips...Kapow!

1 week later
#1761 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Notice all the similarities between unplayable box of lights KISS and Houdini? Right down to the banners hiding the fact LCD isn't properly mounted.
I wonder if John knew Stern had the license and did that as a "job application"? One thing I have no doubt of was he wanted to get bought out. (The goal of all business but usually after they've built something)
But Stern acquired Zidware the smart way - by hiring their artist.

First thing I thought when I saw that picture of Kiss was the comparison to Houdini. It's as if his hobby is building models of full scale pinball machines.

#1770 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Anyone giving any kind of preorder money to any pinball company has zero room to complain. Checks are sent at your own risk.

This could be said for any industry...there are no guarantees in life but speaking of just pinball here I would preorder from Stern or Spooky. Is it at my own risk...sure but low risk IMO.

#1774 7 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Let's assUme someone at this company actually has the ability to produce a working prototype (something jpop couldn't seem to do even when his entire company/career was on the line counting on it).
Ok, now who is going to actually manufacture these games?
I look at the learning curve JJP had to go through- and they had a building full of people who actually have a clue about pinball- and can only wonder at the ability of this mystery company to deliver.

A learning curve for sure but it is only pinball and can be done. A lot of knowledgeable people around and if they get rolling I am sure they will figure it out. Gene did it with BBB, JJP did it, Spooky did it, and Heighway.

#1775 7 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

But Oh Contraire.... allow me to retort. You are leaving out the 4+ years of deception, lies about advances and production to his buyers, excuses after excuses for the delays and lack of anything playable... We were willing to provide him our faith and cash. The captain knew the ship was sinking and continued to let the orchestra play.

I don't think he believed that he couldn't pull it off...and to see AP now I don't think he even believes it now. He refuses to let the ship sink and he might just pull it off...time will tell..I still have my $100 waiting

#1781 7 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I definitely agree. He thought he could pull it off... by himself. Alienating the talent that could help him succeed. Refusing to listen to anyone with a different opinion. Never recognizing his true limitations. I think he could have definitely "pulled it off" if he had been willing to let go of the paranoia and fear of having his golden ideas stolen from him. Even at the very end of Zidware, Jpop continued to talk about his NDA and believing his golden ideas would somehow prevail.
In retrospect, it is kind of sad.. It "could" have been and had the potential to be great. Now I'm afraid that people are willing to accept whatever can be provided to complete the circle.

Sounds like Paranoia, fear, Ego got the best of him. I think the games if fulfilled will not be what most were expecting but they have the potential to be fun. I hope it gets pulled off.

#1841 7 years ago
Quoted from pinfarmer:

If the artist was never paid for his (amazing) artwork than can Jpop or anyone else for that matter claim ownership of said artwork? the theme yes but the actual images?

I would think that John broke a verbal contract with ZY if the artwork was used without John fulfilling his agreement with him. So legally I don't think he can use the artwork. I heard rumours that ZY was supposed to get a MG out of the deal and who knows what other compensation. ZY should contact AP in my opinion and see if he is on the list to get a MG at least.

Loved this picture from ZY showing his sense of humor:

Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 10.32.51 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2016-03-09 at 10.32.51 AM (resized).png

#1851 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I would love this as a large vinyl banner. I'd buy one and hang it up.

I bet you could get one made from bannersusa.com, they made a cool vinyl banner for my girls soccer team for $100. Ask ZY if he would be cool with it as it is his artwork

#1893 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I still say they should forget about all the other machines. Offer everyone either a Magic Girl, Houdini or their money back.

I see them going this route minus the money back option with the RAZA and AIW depositors.

#1905 7 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I agree with all of this.

Yes! Pinball only gets reasonable at some economy of scale greater than 16-100 customers per title. I figured JPop knew this going into it with MG, but he dug him self into an impossible hole once he made the same mistake 3x over. At this point the only way to make something work financially is to uncap the production limit on MG and get more customers. If that works, uncap the also ridiculous limits on RAZA and AIW, finish the games and sell the crap out of them too.

What were the production caps on RAZA & AIW?

#1936 7 years ago

From their FB page...hmm set up an appointment to not preorder?

We're looking forward to seeing everyone in person this weekend at Expo. It's true we'll be presenting Friday morning at 9am.
If you'd also like to schedule an appointment please email us at [email protected].

#1939 7 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

I don't see the connection between "appointment" and "preorder"?

It is an assumption hence the ? Why else would you set up an appointment if it is not to discuss purchase?

#1941 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

maybe to discuss your options regarding JPOPs thievery?

ahh good point possible.

#1942 7 years ago

I posed the question for clarification on their FB page so maybe we will get a answer. It is an open ended post by them so only open to assumptions.

#2157 7 years ago
Quoted from Masaru:

For a bunch of non millienials you all crack me up. This game was announced recently yet you feel entititled to see a full working game at expo. MG issue has allegedly been addressed and people who put down (0.01% of posters) will get the game. For price point (as jjp and stern have raised prices) how about in lieu of complaining and whining everyone takes a back seat and sees what happens. Everyone was ready with pitch fork and torch when game was announced and attached to jpop, yet how many of you actually put in on a magic girl?

go away!

#2318 7 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Really? No way to hit that target?

14713533_10210217848113359_4970785105914744881_n (resized).jpg14713533_10210217848113359_4970785105914744881_n (resized).jpg

#2340 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's simple.
AP will and should forget MG, RAZA and AIW, pins that weren't engineered to work in the first place or ever had a prayer of being delivered.
Focus on Houdini and give previous Jpop victims a rebate of some kind if they want to buy a Houdini.
Onward and upward. Forget the past and let it go.

Houdini is in the same shape as MG, they should just scrap that as well and start from scratch...let someone design a game that know about physics and make something shootable.

1 month later
#2417 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Didn't they claim to be delivering a MG to someone at expo?? Cointaker I believe? What happened with that?!

Fail

#2427 7 years ago

What I have learned about American Pinball....they will say anything to get let into Expo...

#2432 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I don't think they had to say much at all. The head of expo stated that he had absolutely no clue about the Jpop fiasco when he booked American Pinball!

I think they had to say a lot and did say a lot...when the uproar happened on Pinside and a lot of people said they would not be supporting Expo that is when Pacak stepped in and said woah I didn't know all of this. Then American Pinball made all of these claims and talked with Pacak and he decided to allow it but only after Pinside calmed down and decided to give AP a chance because of all these claims they made about MG being delivered to Coin Taker and posted the pictures of the MG machines in development. Their current lack of communication cements this theory to me. Now that they gained entry to Expo and it is over they have no ulterior motive to communicate anything to the Pinball Enthusiasts they are not.

1 week later
#2504 7 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

If MG runs on something that can be programmed by an outside party, somebody will take it on as a personal project. If the physical is there, the code will we done by somebody.

That's the problem with Jpop games...the physics are askew with MG and Houdini...sure they look pretty but the shot lay out is not correct in the current state of the machines.

#2513 7 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

I'm betting he means just those two ....... I saw in person that Houdidn't playfield & it had shots that were impossible.. or if ever made had no plan or way for the ball to go back into play , take a close look at that left clear ramp on it

Yes I was just referring to MG and Houdini now.

1 week later
#2574 7 years ago

I wonder if their use of Houdini was in trade for manufacturing MG. So is AP still obligated to JPOP to get MG's out once finished?

#2676 7 years ago
Quoted from Tigger64:

That post does deflect back to Zidware. But I think all along they should have made it more clear where that division or responsibility between AP/Zidware (Jpop) is.

Well they have changed their position several times on this and it is unclear where they stand as they have not addressed it lately. Plus if we look back they where standing up for JPOP and had made promises of their own about MG and have alluded that American Pinball were going to make all zidware pre purchasers whole. Granted it was unclear exactly what this program entailed for RAZA and AIW as all we heard was stay tuned. So they should address this and let everyone know what the deal is with what they have already stated...especially if what they said is no longer the truth. Not going to happen in my opinion and their word means zilch anyways currently because of how they have handled themselves.

1 month later
#2763 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

AP officially has nothing to do with the builds of these games. AP did not build these, JPop did.....BUT.....he had help.

Ok who helped him? I am sure AP had something to do with the cabinets at least as early on they posted the picture bragging about it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 9.95
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 84.99
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 36.95
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballlew.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jpop-game-houdini-just-announced?tu=pinballlew and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.