New Game Houdini? Just Announced by American Pinball.

By RickThorn

12 months ago

Stats

• 3,139 posts
  • 459 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by merccat
  • Topic is favorited by 95 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 303 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20170505_122504 (resized).jpg
20170506_201321 (resized).jpg
20170506_201325 (resized).jpg
20170506_201329 (resized).jpg
20170506_201334 (resized).jpg
20170506_201313 (resized).jpg
20170506_201339 (resized).jpg
20170506_172939 (resized).jpg
20170506_172921 (resized).jpg
tesla (resized).jpg
1m7dqw (resized).jpg
20170326_010217 (resized).jpg
20170326_010211 (resized).jpg
20170326_010205 (resized).jpg
20170326_010202 (resized).jpg
IMG_1099 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3139 posts in topic. You are on page 64 of 64.
#3151 4 months ago

It was a blast to play....very nice job. I was pleasantly surprise at how cool it's shaping up to be.

#3152 4 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Quoted from brucipher:
Anyone beat my high score at Allentown?
Yes, bjsilverballs did With like 274k

Grand champ score at end was around 450k and there was also a score in upper 300s as well. The champ started vanishing elephant mode with the 2x stage multiplier and then got the playfield multiplier at 2x and 3x for the shots.

Looking at wire form on the return from the ramp but first half will likely stay plastic.

#3153 4 months ago

yes looks like there's a bail out into the pop bumpers half way along the plastic ramp. I think after this point turning into wire form to the left inlane would do the trick and make the aesthetics of the machine 100 times better!

#3154 4 months ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Wow, talk about a dark horse!
edit: man I love that backglass. I can't believe the depth of the rules, too, looking forward to playing this.

I like it too, but I think it'd look much better if they removed the fairly large logo from the left hand corner (entirely) and put a placque in the bottom centre of the speaker panel (like the Stern LE placques) with their logo. Few cents extra, but the backglass would benefit and they could embellish their brand a bit.

#3155 4 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The plastic ramp looks out of place.
Somebody needs to make a wireform for this game

Absolutely...the plastic does not fit the turn of the century look. I also hope now that the heat is off of Joe he can tweak the layout....man the picture really speaks volumes of how tight the shots are on the right side.

#3156 4 months ago
Quoted from rosh:

Grand champ score at end was around 450k and there was also a score in upper 300s as well. The champ started vanishing elephant mode with the 2x stage multiplier and then got the playfield multiplier at 2x and 3x for the shots.
Looking at wire form on the return from the ramp but first half will likely stay plastic.

Are you shipping with art blades, or will they be available? The inside left and right of the cab is screaming for art.

#3157 4 months ago

I was pleasantly surprised and very impressed by this game at Allentown. It looked great and played very well. It was about 10 feet away from a couple of Dialed Ins and felt like a fairly comparable game in terms of both quality and content.

I really like that they're just making one version of the game too.

#3158 4 months ago

The actual grand champ has been identified with a photo in the other Houdini thread.

Blades, TBD, we will be looking at that soon.

#3159 4 months ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Absolutely...the plastic does not fit the turn of the century look. I also hope now that the heat is off of Joe he can tweak the layout....man the picture really speaks volumes of how tight the shots are on the right side.

Joe described how they removed a post from the middle of the pops RIGHT before bringing the game to the show, and it made a tremendous difference in letting the ball travel laterally across the PF.

This apparently alleviated a 'concern' (my paraphrasing term, not his) that there was too much just up-and-down travel and not enough horizontal. I told the guys they should make a movie, not just about the drama but about how much detail went into this (and many other) pin. Best experience I've ever had in pinball. Who gets to talk with the artists themselves? That was just so great.

#3160 4 months ago
Quoted from EricR:

I was pleasantly surprised and very impressed by this game at Allentown. It looked great and played very well. It was about 10 feet away from a couple of Dialed Ins and felt like a fairly comparable game in terms of both quality and content.
I really like that they're just making one version of the game too.

YES. all the craziness with the LEs and super duper champion edition versions of each game just get out of control. I am the biggest Lawlor fan in the world but it makes me sad I will never be able to justify a DI. It's just so far out of my "acceptable frivolous purchase" budget I have taken to ignoring that it exists! AP is better off - less confusing with the single (kick ass) edition

#3161 4 months ago

After reading all the posts from the last few pages, the most important ones from Rosh, I give you guys a huge thumbs up! I was totally on the side of no thanks ever and now, I would actually put down a deposit.

For us Canada guys, hopefully you can strike a deal Nitro Pinball. They have always been top notch! And Tommy, let me know when its available, I'll send the deposit.

#3162 4 months ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I dont think any chain/lock/restraint were nickel/chrome plated in his work at the time....

Also, LCD screens back then were only black & white.

#3163 4 months ago
Quoted from emkay:

Also, LCD screens back then were only black & white.

Pretty funny.

#3164 4 months ago

I have not seen the machine in person but agree plastic ramps should go. Look at other machines as they age how bad cloudy, cracked ramps look and they make it harder to see the ball in play.

#3165 4 months ago
Quoted from Spencer:

After reading all the posts from the last few pages, the most important ones from Rosh, I give you guys a huge thumbs up! I was totally on the side of no thanks ever and now, I would actually put down a deposit.
For us Canada guys, hopefully you can strike a deal Nitro Pinball. They have always been top notch! And Tommy, let me know when its available, I'll send the deposit.

Nitro has already confirmed they are a distributor and in fact will have Houdini at their booth in Tacoma in June

3 months later
#3166 20 days ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I hate spoons, always going out of adjustment (same can be said for leaf switches, which is why my project is using cherry switches with extended arms). I had thought of an idea where the bottom ring would be one contact point, and the ring would be another. The metal ball creates the jumper to complete the circuit.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jpop-game-houdini-just-announced/page/35#post-3378733

Looks like Ben is using this concept for his mini pinball:
» YouTube video

#3167 20 days ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jpop-game-houdini-just-announced/page/35#post-3378733
Looks like Ben is using this concept for his mini pinball:
» YouTube video

There are so many mechanical systems in pinball that are they way they are "just because" they've been stable forever that are overdue for evolution and redesign.

2 weeks later
#3168 5 days ago

I like that design. Simple, elegant and functional, awesome idea!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 3139 posts in topic. You are on page 64 of 64.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.