(Topic ID: 169477)

New Game Houdini? Just Announced by American Pinball.

By RickThorn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,206 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170505_122504 (resized).jpg
20170506_201321 (resized).jpg
20170506_201325 (resized).jpg
20170506_201329 (resized).jpg
20170506_201334 (resized).jpg
20170506_201313 (resized).jpg
20170506_201339 (resized).jpg
20170506_172939 (resized).jpg
20170506_172921 (resized).jpg
tesla (resized).jpg
1m7dqw (resized).jpg
20170326_010217 (resized).jpg
20170326_010211 (resized).jpg
20170326_010205 (resized).jpg
20170326_010202 (resized).jpg
IMG_1099 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,177 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 64.
#3151 6 years ago

It was a blast to play....very nice job. I was pleasantly surprise at how cool it's shaping up to be.

#3152 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Quoted from brucipher:
Anyone beat my high score at Allentown?
Yes, bjsilverballs did With like 274k

Grand champ score at end was around 450k and there was also a score in upper 300s as well. The champ started vanishing elephant mode with the 2x stage multiplier and then got the playfield multiplier at 2x and 3x for the shots.

Looking at wire form on the return from the ramp but first half will likely stay plastic.

#3153 6 years ago

yes looks like there's a bail out into the pop bumpers half way along the plastic ramp. I think after this point turning into wire form to the left inlane would do the trick and make the aesthetics of the machine 100 times better!

#3154 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Wow, talk about a dark horse!
edit: man I love that backglass. I can't believe the depth of the rules, too, looking forward to playing this.

I like it too, but I think it'd look much better if they removed the fairly large logo from the left hand corner (entirely) and put a placque in the bottom centre of the speaker panel (like the Stern LE placques) with their logo. Few cents extra, but the backglass would benefit and they could embellish their brand a bit.

#3155 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The plastic ramp looks out of place.
Somebody needs to make a wireform for this game

Absolutely...the plastic does not fit the turn of the century look. I also hope now that the heat is off of Joe he can tweak the layout....man the picture really speaks volumes of how tight the shots are on the right side.

#3156 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Grand champ score at end was around 450k and there was also a score in upper 300s as well. The champ started vanishing elephant mode with the 2x stage multiplier and then got the playfield multiplier at 2x and 3x for the shots.
Looking at wire form on the return from the ramp but first half will likely stay plastic.

Are you shipping with art blades, or will they be available? The inside left and right of the cab is screaming for art.

#3157 6 years ago

I was pleasantly surprised and very impressed by this game at Allentown. It looked great and played very well. It was about 10 feet away from a couple of Dialed Ins and felt like a fairly comparable game in terms of both quality and content.

I really like that they're just making one version of the game too.

#3158 6 years ago

The actual grand champ has been identified with a photo in the other Houdini thread.

Blades, TBD, we will be looking at that soon.

#3159 6 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Absolutely...the plastic does not fit the turn of the century look. I also hope now that the heat is off of Joe he can tweak the layout....man the picture really speaks volumes of how tight the shots are on the right side.

Joe described how they removed a post from the middle of the pops RIGHT before bringing the game to the show, and it made a tremendous difference in letting the ball travel laterally across the PF.

This apparently alleviated a 'concern' (my paraphrasing term, not his) that there was too much just up-and-down travel and not enough horizontal. I told the guys they should make a movie, not just about the drama but about how much detail went into this (and many other) pin. Best experience I've ever had in pinball. Who gets to talk with the artists themselves? That was just so great.

#3160 6 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

I was pleasantly surprised and very impressed by this game at Allentown. It looked great and played very well. It was about 10 feet away from a couple of Dialed Ins and felt like a fairly comparable game in terms of both quality and content.
I really like that they're just making one version of the game too.

YES. all the craziness with the LEs and super duper champion edition versions of each game just get out of control. I am the biggest Lawlor fan in the world but it makes me sad I will never be able to justify a DI. It's just so far out of my "acceptable frivolous purchase" budget I have taken to ignoring that it exists! AP is better off - less confusing with the single (kick ass) edition

#3161 6 years ago

After reading all the posts from the last few pages, the most important ones from Rosh, I give you guys a huge thumbs up! I was totally on the side of no thanks ever and now, I would actually put down a deposit.

For us Canada guys, hopefully you can strike a deal Nitro Pinball. They have always been top notch! And Tommy, let me know when its available, I'll send the deposit.

#3162 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I dont think any chain/lock/restraint were nickel/chrome plated in his work at the time....

Also, LCD screens back then were only black & white.

#3163 6 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Also, LCD screens back then were only black & white.

Pretty funny.

#3164 6 years ago

I have not seen the machine in person but agree plastic ramps should go. Look at other machines as they age how bad cloudy, cracked ramps look and they make it harder to see the ball in play.

#3165 6 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

After reading all the posts from the last few pages, the most important ones from Rosh, I give you guys a huge thumbs up! I was totally on the side of no thanks ever and now, I would actually put down a deposit.
For us Canada guys, hopefully you can strike a deal Nitro Pinball. They have always been top notch! And Tommy, let me know when its available, I'll send the deposit.

Nitro has already confirmed they are a distributor and in fact will have Houdini at their booth in Tacoma in June

3 months later
#3166 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I hate spoons, always going out of adjustment (same can be said for leaf switches, which is why my project is using cherry switches with extended arms). I had thought of an idea where the bottom ring would be one contact point, and the ring would be another. The metal ball creates the jumper to complete the circuit.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jpop-game-houdini-just-announced/page/35#post-3378733

Looks like Ben is using this concept for his mini pinball:

#3167 6 years ago

There are so many mechanical systems in pinball that are they way they are "just because" they've been stable forever that are overdue for evolution and redesign.

2 weeks later
#3168 6 years ago

I like that design. Simple, elegant and functional, awesome idea!

1 month later
#3169 6 years ago

Played this at expo fun pin but the bugs in the code are really a bummer i had a 13 min game till it froze

#3170 6 years ago

I would bet if Josh found the bugs you are referring to they are fixed already.

Quoted from Delta9:

Played this at expo fun pin but the bugs in the code are really a bummer i had a 13 min game till it froze

#3171 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I would bet if Josh found the bugs you are referring to they are fixed already.

Agreed. I thought it was cool that during Most of the show he was hunched over in a chair behind the machines recording live feedback data from all of the floor units, controlling them, and fine tuning the code live as players enjoyed the new toy unveil. Great company concept that they do much of the fine tuning Before we bring them into our homes. Loved it.

#3172 6 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

No that was a feature to keep you from playing too long

yeah, there was one bad bug that cropped up if you failed on 'return form beyond' or 'escape death', that would make the stage misbehave on the next ball or for the rest of the game (unless someone got one of those modes and succeeded on it). It took a quite a while to track down, since the actual issue would not show up until long after the player failed at that mode. Finally found it on Saturday, and did a work around that reduced it, but then did the real fix on Monday. Needless to say I was not happy about the bug, and just not something I had seen. I had made it easier to get those two 'ball drain modes' for the show, so that helped reveal it, since that mode was being reached a lot more often then normal, and well with over 1000 games being played, not surprising a few things would pop up.

There were two other bugs that popped up that killed games that have been fixed. There was also a bad switch that required us to put a ball back in to play. I have now added code to compensate for, in case it occurs in the future. I'm sure more will pop up as we do more testing and there are lots of animation glitches that need attention.

#3173 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

No that was a feature to keep you from playing too long
yeah, there was one bad bug that cropped up if you failed on 'return form beyond' or 'escape death', that would make the stage misbehave on the next ball or for the rest of the game (unless someone got one of those modes and succeeded on it). It took a quite a while to track down, since the actual issue would not show up until long after the player failed at that mode. Finally found it on Saturday, and did a work around that reduced it, but then did the real fix on Monday. Needless to say I was not happy about the bug, and just not something I had seen. I had made it easier to get those two 'ball drain modes' for the show, so that helped reveal it, since that mode was being reached a lot more often then normal, and well with over 1000 games being played, not surprising a few things would pop up.
There were two other bugs that popped up that killed games that have been fixed. There was also a bad switch that required us to put a ball back in to play. I have now added code to compensate for, in case it occurs in the future. I'm sure more will pop up as we do more testing and there are lots of animation glitches that need attention.

That's awesome these shows are giving you on location testing. I'm really looking forward to this game. Thanks for explaining everything in detail as it shows your passion for making this product the best it can be.

3 months later
#3174 6 years ago

Have any of these shipped?

#3175 6 years ago
Quoted from _KIRK_:

Have any of these shipped?

Mine arrives next week ... Check the running AP thread

2 weeks later
#3176 6 years ago

Yes - there is one at one of our local pinball bars. It's a blast! Wife creamed me with 160+k

#3177 6 years ago

My understanding is that roughly 20 have shipped so far.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs
Displays
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
Plastics
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Tacoma, WA
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!
Other
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greeley, CO
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,177 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 64.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jpop-game-houdini-just-announced/page/64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.