(Topic ID: 169477)

New Game Houdini? Just Announced by American Pinball.

By RickThorn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,206 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170505_122504 (resized).jpg
20170506_201321 (resized).jpg
20170506_201325 (resized).jpg
20170506_201329 (resized).jpg
20170506_201334 (resized).jpg
20170506_201313 (resized).jpg
20170506_201339 (resized).jpg
20170506_172939 (resized).jpg
20170506_172921 (resized).jpg
tesla (resized).jpg
1m7dqw (resized).jpg
20170326_010217 (resized).jpg
20170326_010211 (resized).jpg
20170326_010205 (resized).jpg
20170326_010202 (resized).jpg
IMG_1099 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2532 American pinball is advertising in pinball life orders Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #2768 Press Release from American Pinball before TPF 2017 Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #2820 video of game reveal at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2829 TPF gameplay video (short) Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2831 Photo of Houdini backbox/translite Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #2839 more short Houdini gameplay video from TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2841 Video of Houdini catapult toy in action Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2851 Price confirmed as $6995 from sources at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #3006 A quick review of TPF reactions. Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #3050 Some history of Houdini leading up to TPF from rosh Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vdojaq.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 7 years ago

This narcissistic fool again?

Yeah, check out the posts, and trails. It's him.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

I really hope this is real. Jpop was a great idea guy, and a really bad business guy.
But if someone else is driving the train, I'm looking forward to it.

REALLY? Why the "F" would anyone within the pinball community buy anything even remotely associated with JPOP? The guy runs off with almost $1 million and it's OK as long as he is not in charge?

And I don't feel sorry if Vasani didn't do his homework 1st and American Pinball goes down the drain faster than I could flush my morning dump!

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

We all know that if someone worked with JPOP and put out a killer game that actually gets made people would line up with wallets open and bent over with their pants down. The 100 or so people screwed out of money might still hold a grudge but everyone else will forget real quickly. People still buy WCS, TOM, TOTAN, and CV without much thought about it.

Quoted from PoMC:

It'd only be fair that people who've lost money on J-Pop get first dibs on pre-ordering the LE model.

It would only be fair that if someone lost money on JPop they get full value of what they paid for ANY model. Oh wait, he has no record of who paid what. If Jpop is involved with American Pinball in ANY function other than a paid employee, or if these machines are re-skinned Jpop designs, this company should be put out of business before they know what hit them.

#112 7 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

He is a good designer. He didn't intentionally mess up. I talked to him for an hour and realized it's a bad idea to invest in his project. His talents shouldn't be wasted because of his past mistakes.
I wouldn't preorder this game but I'd buy it if it's good and priced right. Jpop is just an employee.

He may not of intentionally messed up, however he kept taking money AFTER he knew he messed up and AFTER he knew the machines were never going to make it to production. He is a thief, a criminal, and his talents should be wasted while serving time or making restitution.

It's like saying a drunk driver who killed someone after his 3rd DUI shouldn't be sent to jail because he was a good person when he didn't drink. Oh just keep the booze away from him, everything will be just fine.

I cannot fathom how anyone can make excuses for this rat bastard!

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Quoted for posterity.

How about quoted for absolute accuracy?!

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Kaneda is sitting back laughing his ass off

Exact opposite. He has all the symptoms of having a narcissistic personality disorder. I can assure you he is mad as hell, turning bright red with anger. He has to have his ego stroked, hence the multiple identities. He can't help himself. He doesn't need a podcast or another pinball machine, he needs a top quality shrink.

#119 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm honestly confused.
Is this all bullshit or is there any chance it's real?
Someone who has done the homework please chime in!

I think there is a chance that it is real bullshit!

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I can assure you he is not

You know him better than I would, so be it.

Doesn't change that he is still a grade A asshole.

#126 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I can assure you he is not

Actually I have to disagree, I have been the lucky recipient of his personal emails in the past. He is a sniveling, narcissistic little prick. A total douche bad in the highest form. He should do PR for JPop and this so called American Pinball, they all deserve each other. Peas in a pod. He should pack up that Hellcat and his TMNT jammies and move on in with JPop.

#179 7 years ago

Look, if American Pinball is going to be the phoenix that rises from the ashes from Jpop's disasters and misdealings, AND makes good to make everyone whole who paid for any of JPop's pipe dream machines, then I am all for this. Remember, these were deposits for products, NOT investments for product development. If anyone here doesn't think JPop has skin in this venture(American Pinball) and is ONLY an employee, I have some swamp in Florida to sell you.

Unfortunately, there is probably a .001% chance of this happening otherwise we would be getting MG & RAZA by American Pinball. Instead, we will get Houdini and the magic trick already happened, the money vanished.

If JPop is present for the unveiling at Pinball Expo, I fully expect an all out loud verbal barrage towards American Pinball that could turn very ugly and deservedly so.

#202 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

people trading games he happened to work on decades ago while an employee of Williams does nothing for him or his financial situation. any benefit is completely nebulous and insubstantial. it's not even a net benefit in terms of the very dubious notion of helping his reputation, since the game exists and gets played either way whether it's traded or not.
buying a NEW game that gets built, one that he designs or has a hand in designing, which puts money directly into his pockets -- or even entertaining that notion -- is obviously many orders of magnitude more directly helping this scumbag thief.
the two concepts are not equitable.

Very well said and spot on!

#203 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I stopped reading after this.
Simply. Won't. Happen.

Then you shouldn't have taken my quote out of context or kept reading. Either one, you conveniently left out my saying there is 0.001% chance of that happening.

#208 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

In which case you wasted time even typing it.

Probably

#239 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Any professional magicians out there in Pinball?

Absolutely, JPop! He made $1 million disappear without a trace. He obviously was into mind control too because it seems there are some warped minds around here that excuse what JPop has done.

#363 7 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

You guys know that American has a phone #, right? Simply call them at (847) 893-6800 and find out from them. Doing that will either end this thread or escalate it.

I just called, get a voice mail. Someone else call and tell me if that voice is who I think it is?

#409 7 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

You are so funny!
I see another account getting the ole heave hoe! You sure like keeping folks busy. Poor moderators.
Can you do a show that explains where you get all these accounts from and names? Maybe teach us the ways of proxy routing IP addresses or what ever it is that you do?
So entertaining!
If Robin started charging 1$ for new member he would make a fortune off you.

Exactly!

#468 7 years ago
Quoted from davebowman:

I would love to, but I have no idea what the meaning of it is. I have never seen or played an X-Men pin

Kaneda, you can knock it off any time now. No one is buying this BS.

#477 7 years ago
Quoted from davebowman:

There should be some sort of punishment in place, when caught being so vocal & wrong at the same time. That is the cocksureness that is the bane of this forum. I told Robin the same. If you ever found out that I wasn't Kaneda, you would just be silent and ride it out. That's the problem with users on this forum. You never doubt yourself for one second. It hasn't even occurred to you that you could be wrong. Your mind is too small and weak.

Your reply is all I need. I was positive if I made any remark toward your DaveBowman character you would take the bait to jump all over it.

Congrats!

#480 7 years ago
Quoted from davebowman:

Take the bait?? What? lol.
Just for the fun of it, then. What would you do if you were wrong? Crawl back in into the hole?

I consider myself a pretty stand up guy. If I was wrong, I know how to apologize. And since we are talking about holes, good luck with the one you have put yourself in.

#533 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

In the picture of the row of cabinets, doesn't it appear that those are standard cabinets rather than the steep inclined cabinets Zidware was working on to allow for the LCD to be below the glass?
Even the artwork is cut off such as the lion's mane. Could these MG games be without an LCD?

Good catch! Yes, those are indeed standard cabinets. Check out the slope on the very last cabinet, that is NOT JPop's cabinet design.

#539 7 years ago
Quoted from davebowman:

Of course you consider yourself a stand up guy. Are you also a good and fair person, with the right world views? Of course you are! You're very, very top of the line.

Well folks, after some research on this guy, his full name is Nicholas (last name removed by Staff). Nicholas is NOT Kaneda. Nicholas, I am sorry.

#551 7 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Why post his full name?

The guy gave us the link to his website, and it is there. So I see ZERO issue with it.

#571 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

So if I pick a website off Wordpress ... And then post that link here and say it's my website... That's totally convincing to you?
I can use my vpn service and set my location to be Germany... Subscribe to a free email service in Germany... And simply assume the identity of the person whose website I linked here on pinside. That's easy to fake. You need to verify the owner of the content.. Not just relay that some content exists. Looks like the owner finally spoke up on Twitter to verify his participation here. Point being... Verification is more than posting a name and existing website. Otherwise, I'm Barack obama and my website is http://www.whitehouse.gov
Something is still fishy there tho... His interests here sure have a ton of coincidences... And it would have been much easier to resolve this than he did.

You make the incorrect assumption I didn't go deeper than just his website. I can assure you, he is NOT Kaneda. I made contact through his twitter account and apologized to him directly.

Kaneda is a bark bag of excrement.

#581 7 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Way to take it straight into the gutter. I know nothing about Mr. Vasani but I can smell what you just tracked in here.

I am very sorry if I offended you, it was meant as a satirical name, just as JPoop.

#582 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

It's unfortunate that I missed that jab. Def not cool. But after seeing him post ridiculousness in vid thread for the last hr I'm not surprised.

Dude, you would be offended by a Peanuts comic strip. Just get over it.

#585 7 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

I'm not offended, just pointing it out in hope you find your satire elsewhere. Mark Twain would probably have characterized Jim differently given some perspective.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean I have to stop. If you don't like my humor, you can simply move on.

#588 7 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Mark Twain would probably have characterized Jim differently given some perspective.

I sincerely doubt it.

#590 7 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

I didn't even ASK you to stop but double down on your "humor" if that's where you are on this.

Quoted from emkay:

I didn't even ASK you to stop but double down on your "humor" if that's where you are on this.

Actually not really. I was man enough to apologize to you and you couldn't just leave it at "I wasn't offended"

#593 7 years ago

You know what? We are all a bunch of morons with nothing better to do all day but hang around Pinside to give our full 2 cents.

Time to give ALL of it a rest. If I have been tough on any of you this weekend, well I have been pissed off since Friday. Let's all hope for some good news out of all of this JPop and American Pinball development.

I do sincerely hope that every dollar owed to every pinside member is made whole by A.P. & JPop. It seems like a huge undertaking to make these deadlines that they have self imposed. We ALL beat this to death this weekend.

Lets get back to pinball for tomorrow.

#614 7 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

I agree that it smells fishy, but I'd expect it to be in Aimtron's booth... who is a G2E vendor.

Exactly

#636 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Yeah Nicholas is ummm something. He gave AP a 5 star review on FB...and he said you aren't a stand-up guy?? Ridiculous.

I am starting to think my apology was for not.....why is some guy(Nicholas) from Denmark concerned with anything to do with American Pinball? Secondly , Kim M. was on A.P.'s facebook page asking for the $23K owed to him for MG & RAZA. This Nicholas guy tells Kim to stop trolling the page? Whawhawhat?!?!

This is all completely unreal..... He may not be Kaneda, but there is a connection between them
somewhere and he is just as much of a tool!

#640 7 years ago

Ok , a little detective work. The A.P. building in Streamwood is the original Aimtron U.S. Headquarters. Aimtron moved to Palatine a few years ago but held on to the Streamwood property. I found a picture from 2010 of the interior of Streamwood, take a good look. The floor, walls, and ventilation all MATCH the pictures of the empty MG cabinets. Cabinets are in Streamwood.

streamwood (resized).jpgstreamwood (resized).jpg

streamwood 2 (resized).jpgstreamwood 2 (resized).jpg

#795 7 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

The only thing that could blow this hype to the stratosphere is if its revealed Trump is the millionaire backer.

If he was, you could at least count on it all being done.

#981 7 years ago

American Pinball did not just rise out of the ashes from JPop's failures and Zidware. They saw valuable, but distressed assets that could get them in the door of the pinball world QUICKLY. A.P. knows and Jon knows full well he could not sell the intellectual properties paid for by others so A.P. could not buy any of it. John HAS to be an employee on paper and he keeps all of the rights from Zidware and anything else. This keeps A.P. safe from any of John's lawsuits. Since A.P. is a new company, they will not be financially responsible for any of JPops misadventures. Instead, I have to speculate what they are doing is producing MG, RAZA, and AIW on BEHALF of John in exchange for him to be designing for A.P. and his cabinet designs. Of course John is getting paid, but not monetarily. He is getting paid with his machines being produced by A.P., they are bailing his ass out on the deposits he took . As far as anyone else John owes, aside from game purchases and deposits, A.P. with have nothing to do with that. I would almost go as far as speculating that the initial run of Magic Girls that are owed will not have an American Pinball logo on them anywhere.

I would have to venture and guess all the parts, boards/computers, harnesses, and mechanisms on these will be "made and assembled in China" and the games will just be quickly assembled here. How else for can you do low production # games for a retail of $7K? What that will do is bring new games to the market on a quicker pace, especially if common mechanisms are used on several designs. Almost like when Gottlieb would produce the same playfield for 5 different games, just the names and themes changed. It could be done on modern machines with simple layout changes. Hell , made in china might

I would also guess that you will see machines on a rotating basis, meaning one new machine produced for every title owed machine, just like we have now, Houdini introduced now, Magic Girl owed. At the end, if both parties are still standing A.P. does look like a shining star and John, well, stick to designing. What they are not paying in start up costs, which is significant because JPop did have a pretty solid core of assets with cabinets, designs, a working prototype, and other essentials, they will be paying in producing John's 3 games. It's a trade off and a gamble, but it is a gamble that could pay off significant odds.

Just pure speculation on my part, but as a businessman and a gambler, I can see how this comes about.

#1071 7 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Why do I think JPOP is more connected to American Pinball than we are being led to believe?

Because at this point JPop cannot be anything more than "just an employee" on paper. This is how A.P. skirts any liability of Jpop's debts.

#1079 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Why would they hire him as an employee? I suspect he's just a contract designer.

I agree, better term for what he is "on paper" .

#1233 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Hm, you know stuff dude...send me a pm, i won't gossip,tell me what's up over there!

Read between the lines, it has already been figured out.

#1294 7 years ago

Can anyone answer this? Did JPop approach Aimtron/Dhavani or did Aimtron/Dhavani approach JPop?

This would go a long way in helping people understand what is going on here. It also may change some opinions.

So what is it, chicken or the egg?

I know 100% my 1st impressions were that American Pinball was the new Zidware and f*ck anything to do with them. That opinion has changed.

#1440 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

They were incorporated back in Oct 2015. So clearly they were underway going back at least that far. But they could have been working out of their basement/whatever for awhile. They'd want the license when they had to start paying bills, people, etc... establish the tax records, etc. So certainly more 'heavy lifting' and engaging with others probably started more along those licensing timeframes.
Adding to the flare... the business is incorporated with the agent's address being a simple 2 story residential house in the area. A house D.V. bought just in 2014.. I can understand if he has rental properties, etc.. but seems kind of transient to use that kind of address in your formal business dealings... especially when you were supposed to be an established proprietor.
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Hoffman-Estates/1155-Kingsdale-Rd-60169/home/13738050
I just love how their website acts like all of dad's business are AP's successes... and no talk about being a fresh company, etc.

If you don't own a business, then you are only speculating. Initial filings are quite often done to a home address until the business is established.

There is nothing funny here. You guys are reaching for something you will never find if Dhavani is a smart businessman. There is no paper trail that shows JPop as anything other than an employee and/or consultant of A.P. And there will not be until all his legal doings are resolved or bankrupted.

#1483 7 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

I think it is funny that one of AP first expenses will be defense of several lawsuits. I am a hunter. If target walks
in front of my crosshairs I pull the trigger. Another way to put it would be - if a potential revenue stream comes into association with Jpop , his wife, or any part of what zidwAre did said or made, it is only prudent to go after that revenue as well. I actually have a verifiable history of doing this. But these are smart businessmen right? They have carefully considered this and have budgeted for legal expenses. I mean anyone with half a brain dealing with Jpop would, right?

Good luck in wasting your or anyone elses money. A.P. is NOT Zidware.

#1487 7 years ago
Quoted from DennisK:

Oh, there is a little bit of video of Houdini for those that want a closer look (not of it flipping, but with it on).
American Pinball noted they were in the GIGABYTE booth at G2E. I reviewed GIGABYTE's Facebook page and saw they took some video at G2E, including a tour of their booth while the machine was present. The video is on Facebook so linking to it is a bit weird, but I hope I do it correctly:
https://www.facebook.com/GIGABYTE.US/videos/10154529279378695/
40 seconds in is the start of Houdini. Ends 54 seconds in. Anyway, for those that wanted to see more.

Video now proves that the guts of these machines belong to GIGABYTES. Hate to tell any of you that are owed anything other than a machine by Zidware, it will be a drawn out court battle with JPop that NOBODY wins.

#1503 7 years ago
Quoted from KingNine:

I would have agreed with you last week. But now the totality of the evidence is making me disagree with this opinion. Especially now that we see corporate document filings with John P listed on them. There is no way a simple consultant is listed on corporate filings. Maybe this is his effort to make things right. Maybe not. I won't risk any money in it for sure!

What evidence are you speaking of? The only thing JPop is listed as is the person to call in case of emergency! That does not make him an officer of the company. I don't understand how 1 + 0 = new evidence.

#1744 7 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

I have a few questions, which Jonathan's podcast and others here may have missed. AP could deliver MG, but not be obligated to do so - it depends on how they set up their deal with Jpop. What's that deal?
Why is AP committing to the MG deliveries? (would they add that liability without getting a future benefit in return)
American Pinball has no legal obligation and no liability to deliver MG, right? (Assuming they didn't buy Zidware, I don't see how they would have any possession of Zidware parts or IOU's to vendors or preorders). Yet they announce they will do MG and they have a relationship with Jpop, the Sunday after their Friday news splash of "here we are" with Houdini.
BUT, American Pinball announces Houdini is in prototype, JPop did the design, and they compensated him - but how - my bet is it wasn't $.
Here's my WHAT IF, to discuss. What if rather than cash, AP said they'd fulfill Jpops commitment and orders, starting with MG - it would be worth a lot to Jpop to get MG crossed off todo list. Work gratis a year or two, and we take the gorilla off your back - deal?
In 2017, AP likely needs Jpop ideas for AP game #2. Again, What if same deal to waive consulting fees for AP delivering RAZA and AIW, or at least refunding deposits or give a credit towards MG, AP Houdini, or AP #2 (ala the Pintasia deal, but with a 1 credit).
What would AP be taking on in 2015 IOUs? I think $1mil may be high estimate. May be that high if everyone paid in full for RAZA, but many were partial deposits (per pinside posts). IF the actual IOU is ONLY $200-$300k, maybe they get John's next several game ideas for free, then give him a "hurry up and get it done" % of future AP titles from John, BUT AFTER all of Jpop's commitments have been met/delivered. In other words, JPOP - we own you, until then. Thats only 40 - 50 games at $7k, tons of goodwill, and green lights.
SO - my conclusion, (which Jpop had hinted at since even before Pintasia), The only way out for Jpop after the Pintasia fail (and he was in dire straights before that), was to find someone with capital, and fulfill John's IOUs first, and perhaps a participation % sales after.
My hope for all with $ in this game. The big difference now is the AIMtron dad has capital, the son Dhaval has hired people, has a space (for free, an old AIMtron building), and manufacturing experience, vendors and some management skill, and some business savvy.
What do you guys think?

I agree with this all pretty much spot except the only ones who will be made whole are the purchasers/depositors of MG, AIW, & RAZA. Your synopsis pretty much mirrors what I had been posting last week.

1 week later
#1967 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I guess you're not in the private group. No matter, I now feel comfortable releasing this on Pinside. Here's a copy of my post to the owners group on October 6th:
-----------------
" I had a phone meeting this morning with Scott Goldberg of American Pinball. Not his fault but I was short on time and we will speak again. Here are my quick notes.

Jpop is a consultant for AP to do Houdini
AP has no ownership of Zidware.

Houdini is an original machine and not a lesser tier Magic Girl.
The manufacturer and builder of Houdini is AP. Designed by Jpop.

Kim

Houdini was Zidware #4....... Jpop handed that over(at minimum) to AP in exchange for the manufacturing.

#2246 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I don't know how anybody even takes this seriously, showing up with a lit playfield kinda like JPOP showing up with some empty cabinets I would run not walk away from this. This would be like Kevin Kulek designing a new game for another company and people trying to justify that, what a joke.

There is no need to run, just don't spend a dime with these clowns until they have an inventory of machines ready to deliver. Only run if you find yourself tempted to open your wallets or swipe your cards for deposits.

I think AP knows they couldn't ask for a wooden nickel up front.

1 month later
#2440 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

We will soon be able to start singing that twelve days of Christmas song.

On the 1st day of Xmas John Poppadiuk gave to me, a promise of a Magic Girl for lots of my money
On the 2nd day of Xmas J Pop gave to me, 2 silver balls and a promise of a Magic Girl for lots of my money.
On the 3rd day of Xmas J Pop gave to me, 3 empty cabinets, 2 silver balls, and a promise of a Magic Girl for lots of my money.
On the 4th day of Xmas J Pop gave to me, 4 lame excuses, 3 empty cabinets, 2 silver balls, and a promise of a Magic Girl for lots of my money.
On the 5th day of Xmas J Pop gave to me, 5 American Pinball Employees!, 4 lame excuses, 3 empty cabinets, 2 silver balls, and a promise of a Magic Girl for lots of my money
On the 6th day of Xmas Jpop gave to me, ...... oh hell, you guys finish it!

#2491 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Anyone try calling? If the phones are disconnected that might be a hint.
This looks like good info with the name changed.

Ok, so yesterday at 2pm, I decided to call. I *67 first to block my number. The phone rings 2 x and someone picks up, obviously reads a caller ID, sees a blocked # and hangs up. So I wait til 3:30pm and call again. This time I did not block my business #. Someone answers hello, it's obvious it's Dhvani. I ask is this American Pinball? He says yes, how can I help you. I play stupid and say hey, I saw you guys on Facebook, do you have any machines ready for Xmas? He says no, we are still in the development stage and the 1st machine will be ready end of 1st quarter 2017. I asked is that the Houdini machine I saw? He says yes and repeats the time frame. He then asked for my email so he could keep me updated. I gave him my business email and said thanks. That was it.

Obviously something is still going on.......what? Who knows.

2 weeks later
#2554 7 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Is it wrong of me for wanting them to just come out and throw jpop completely under the bus if they get their game out? I know it's highly unprofessional, but man it would really just make my day to hear somebody from AP come out and say, "you guys were right! We never should have trusted jpop. He really screwed us. But we were able to soldier on and finally delivered on our promise. We're sorry for being late, but we had a lot of messes to clean up for not listening to you guys in the first place"

Keep in mind, if there is no Jpop, then there will be NO Magic Girl.

In the best interest of AP, that is the way they should do it. Focus on Houdini and nothing else.

#2659 7 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Like I said Whysnow, let's see what happens. If they are building this from the ground up (other than theme) it should be judged on its own merits. If it is similar to what happened at expo where you had a playfield with Zidware parts, then you are correct.

Problem is how can anyone prove those parts were part of any investment towards MG or the other 2 games? Never going to happen. AP could just walk away from ANYTHING to do with JPop and never finish the MG machines. They have zero liability.

#2662 7 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

This is my thought too, and i have a lot pf personal friends out large amounts of money. Myself, I think that this is in part Bill Brandes fault though. I have nothing against Bill, but think that he could have done things differently. We know that with the "legal" problems announced by AP, its because Bill said that he owned the right to things. I think that he should have let them design, and manufacturer them, get them out to the owners (at this time it is thought that MG owners would get there game) and then go after a compnay that has made money and have something worth suing over. Instead, now noone gets anything
With AP now starting from scratch, and Jpop gone, there really should be no expectation of AP doing anything for MG RAZA and AIW owners

However, they(AP) should make a statement towards this if indeed that is the scenario. Sooner than later.

#2665 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Although this is true, this would mean the significant parts AP already stocked and had made for finishing MG are wasted.
A lot of money was invested to finish this title.
It went well beyond the "crash course" that was tried by enthusiasts over a year ago.

And wouldn't everyone shit their pants if the "new and improved" Houdini looked a lot like a MG layout?!?

#2717 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

I suspect that transparency will be something along the lines of.... We were contracted to build the completed/production ready MG for John for xxx dollars with a production ready Houdini used as trade minus any work we had to invest to finish it.... turns out John actually ows us more now since we had scrap everything and start over. Oh, and MG isn't anywhere near production ready anyway so just as soon as John gives us a game thats ready to be produced we can work with him on making those arrangements.

You actually bring up a very good point here. All along AP has said that Jpoop is not part of the actual AP team and that MG was a contract build in exchange for "consulting". But, as you point out here, a finished product has to be made available in order for production. Who is working on(allegedly) MG in the background to make this thing ready for production? Balcer?

1 month later
#2751 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Someone should correct this posting. It should read New HOUDINI game by American Pinball. JPOP has nothing to do with this game. Interested to see more on this work in progress..

100% spot on.

When the visual leaks start trickling in......you all are going to be shocked.

#2755 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Balcer will be at TPF end of this month.. Surely there will be some news. Not that far away.

Maybe even some pictures?

#2760 7 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

I like the way these guys operate. They stuck their foot in their mouth with the "MG" thing... went silent for awhile, and then out of nowhere ship the completed game to get out from under it. Now they're a little silent about Houdini, I'd imagine they're going to pop up with a nice playing prototype soon. They seem to be capable of moving faster than most companies, which could be good or bad. Fun to watch, I wish them well!

AP did not ship these MG's, it was JPop. Houdini will be 100% AP

#2762 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

JPOP shipped them out but AP entirely assembled them, right? I don't think JPOP has the ability to screw anything (together) other than his investors.

AP officially has nothing to do with the builds of these games. AP did not build these, JPop did.....BUT.....he had help.

2 weeks later
#2782 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

So this thing will be playable there?
Still skeptical after all these other pinball startups that AP somehow is going to show everyone how it's done and get a complicated pinball machine out in record time.

Yes, 2 of them at least.

#2791 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Probably not wise to prejudge it, but:
Doesn't bode well.

Your right, hold that judgement until you see the machine.

#2803 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I'm not making a definitive conclusion. Hence the pre-amble.
But given what they have shown, it does bode less than well. Do you know what "bode" means?

Yes, it's a term of foreshadowing.

I believe the true question should have been do you know the definition of prejudgement?

drop the mic (resized).jpgdrop the mic (resized).jpg

#2903 7 years ago

I swear, all the nitpickers who are playing arm chair quarterbacks are just morons. A.P. deserves a standing ovation for this, their efforts, and pulling this off in the time they did. They also deserve a pat on the back for for getting MG out and then tossing JPop on his ear.

It's their 1st game, and it looks to be a winner. I know a lot of these people involved with this game and I am their cheerleader because this is exactly what we need, a true, local competitor to STERN.

Oh the cabinet, oh the artwork, all a bunch of crap. You don't play the cabinet, you don't play the artwork.

And if you don't like this game, fine, wait for game #2. Maybe EXPO?

#2904 7 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

How much is Houdini and when will it ship?

Retail is $6995.00, I have heard June as the target for distributors to start getting games.

#2925 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

All this may be true but shouldn't you add a disclaimer at the end? As in: "I will soon be selling this product".
Always nice for people to know these things when reading positive (or negative) reviews. Helps give perspective,

This was an honest perspective.

#3018 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

We are currently evaluating which shows we will be at and certainly looking at the ones that have been mentioned in this thread. MGC might be a touch too soon, but after we settle back in we will assess it.

MGC is in the "backyard", you guys need to be there with these.

#3055 7 years ago
Quoted from orangestorm87:

Wow, now that Lebowski has imploded, I have a new PIN to put at the top of the want list.
So any chance you follow up with Telsa, for game #2? Could make quite the "steam punk" pair

Clarify for the younger crowd that you are NOT talking about the automobile or 80's rock band. I also assume you mean Tesla.

Yes, that would be an awesome theme for a machine!

#3068 7 years ago

I really like the backbox design, it compliments the placement of the speakers. Finally, no speaker in the lower cabinet.

#3072 7 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

So much respect to rosh and the AP crew for their awesome accomplishment and the way that they are doing business. Kudos, guys!
So it sounds like vdojaq is number 1 for wanting a game and I am number 2, based upon how long we have both been tracking this game. (go look at my "Save us, AP and Houdini" thread from Expo). Question is, who is going to be cool and join us?

I grew up on Doug Henning and then David Copperfield. Always loved the history on Houdini, so the theme is a homerun for me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 84.99
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 36.95
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 9.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 119.99
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vdojaq.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jpop-game-houdini-just-announced?tu=vdojaq and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.