(Topic ID: 169477)

New Game Houdini? Just Announced by American Pinball.

By RickThorn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,206 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170505_122504 (resized).jpg
20170506_201321 (resized).jpg
20170506_201325 (resized).jpg
20170506_201329 (resized).jpg
20170506_201334 (resized).jpg
20170506_201313 (resized).jpg
20170506_201339 (resized).jpg
20170506_172939 (resized).jpg
20170506_172921 (resized).jpg
tesla (resized).jpg
1m7dqw (resized).jpg
20170326_010217 (resized).jpg
20170326_010211 (resized).jpg
20170326_010205 (resized).jpg
20170326_010202 (resized).jpg
IMG_1099 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2532 American pinball is advertising in pinball life orders Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #2768 Press Release from American Pinball before TPF 2017 Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #2820 video of game reveal at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2829 TPF gameplay video (short) Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2831 Photo of Houdini backbox/translite Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #2839 more short Houdini gameplay video from TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2841 Video of Houdini catapult toy in action Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2851 Price confirmed as $6995 from sources at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #3006 A quick review of TPF reactions. Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #3050 Some history of Houdini leading up to TPF from rosh Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#96 7 years ago

someone want to explain how you mount posts in the middle of a metal apron wall?

houdini_autocad (resized).jpghoudini_autocad (resized).jpg

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

We need to do some homework and find out who owns the rights to the Houdini name. There has to be an estate or something. They can file an appeal and challenge the Trademark

This company in ontario canada is using the houdini name. I would imagine they are paying some sort of license
https://www.sidefx.com/

this website may know something too:
http://www.houdini.com/en/

#189 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I'm not sure how you could own any of them. That's just my opinion though, everyone has a right to their own.

I have fond nostalgia for wcs94, remember playing it when it was new, long before being in the hobby and knew who any designers were. 5 years ago I longed to own one, I wouldn't want to own one anymore.

#212 7 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

however I was told that a similar application that is further along in the process - I believe she said it belonged to Gamesys - is heading towards rejection due to the same, conflicting, prior registration.

http://www.gamesyscorporate.com/games-brands/games/houdini/

https://vimeo.com/132848521

#223 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Sadly, in this country, a Brand new Corporation, is a completely new Legal entity, and they do get to start over from scratch.

I once worked for a fiber optic company that split it's divisions into A & B for each product line, but then formed yet another company with a completely new name. I'm pretty sure they did that to wipe the slate clean of all the bad product issues they had in the past. It's a shame companies aren't forced to be more public. If old company has these managers running it, and the new company has the same people, then people can do the math.

#259 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Cliff notes. Feel free to add anything I've missed pls:

Very similar design layout to MG
JPOP was asking about Houdini licensing 5 years ago
When dgarrett visited American Pinball it was eluded to him that was the case
Affiliation with JPOP's lawyer

I think that's it

you're forgetting that scott goldberg worked at zizzle

#303 7 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

The statement says the pics are new

Has to be, there was never more than 4 cabinets in the shop.

Also, there are now 2 buttons for each flipper, originals only had 1. I imagine either he is planning on adding extra flippers (with separate controls), or more likely magna-saves since he loves those so much. Oh also those cabinets look like stock williams (not super high angle). Probably so they aren't buying custom sized glass. This is bizarro now that I'm comparing.

new_mg (resized).jpgnew_mg (resized).jpg
old_MG (resized).jpgold_MG (resized).jpg

#367 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

When the con man comes to town with napkin sketches, lofty promises, and zero credible evidence of crossing the most difficult barriers that everyone knows about

#376 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Patented as well.....

John's were patented. American pinball is using standard cabinets, compare the pitch

#407 7 years ago

Between a standard cabinet, and apparently no squiggle ramps, I'd get prepared for a compromised and potentially flat game folks

no_ramps (resized).jpgno_ramps (resized).jpg

#517 7 years ago

The new website screams of John working on it. What company has a blog?

#540 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Kevin needed a new car

Kevin needs a van to live in when his house gets repossessed.

#591 7 years ago

I just got a sneak peek at the playfield

#746 7 years ago

"There is this wild loop-de-loop shot unlike anything I’ve ever seen in pinball before"

If they took my file off pinballmakers, I'm going to laugh
http://pinballmakers.com/wiki/images/thumb/d/d3/Loop_da_loop_ramp.jpg/200px-Loop_da_loop_ramp.jpg

200px-Loop_da_loop_ramp[1] (resized).jpg200px-Loop_da_loop_ramp[1] (resized).jpg

#754 7 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Looks like my never before seen ramp on TFTC lol

Quoted from Mitch:

Tftc doesn't have a upsidown loop

Right, it has a loopback (180, not 360)
image-12[1] (resized).jpgimage-12[1] (resized).jpg

Only game I've ever seen with a complete loop is a gottlieb gold wings

Quoted from Mitch:

?? You have a custom made loop ramp on your game? Pics?

It's not in a game yet, it's a work in progress. Also playing around with a vert loopback ramp:

#875 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Until people are playing the game, this was the state of Magic Girl. John was always able to obfuscate the state of the game with much of the artwork and shiny lights.

I would hope a major company dumping money into a project wouldn't put full trust into John, but stranger things have happened.

Now that we have good photos, anyone notice that they put the text "BELIEVE" upside down on the top of the backbox so that it reflects on the mirrored ball?

believe (resized).jpgbelieve (resized).jpg

I'm mostly curious how obscured the right half of the screen is going to be with that tall building sitting in front of it

blocked_lcd (resized).jpgblocked_lcd (resized).jpg

#1134 7 years ago

skewed the latest playfield image to get a good top down view. It would appear it shoots decently?

houdini_top_down (resized).jpghoudini_top_down (resized).jpg

#1213 7 years ago

so if MSRP is $7k, would that make street price $6250? That's right in line with spooky.

#1261 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Ya know that feeling you get after haven eaten waaaaay too much popcorn...

#1354 7 years ago
Quoted from radium:

If I paid Zidware for MG and AP gives me an MG, I say thank you and continue my suit against Zidware.

I would imagine they wouldn't just "Give you" a magic girl, there will likely be a contract to be signed that states you won't pursue legal action against JPOP, or any of his affiliations including american pinball. Hell, most companies make you sign a contract when you get laid off in order to collect severance so they ensure you won't try to sue them afterwards.

#1499 7 years ago

It's so bizarre to see a pinball machine at a gigabyte booth. You'd have to wonder what most of the attendees thought..
"They still make pinball machines? They use pc motherboards now?"

#1605 7 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Your input will help me devise my next scam, so thanks in advance.

There's not enough margin in underwear. You'll run out of money before you get your first pair prototyped

#1704 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

His spoon-less pop bumpers for instance were quite clever

I hate spoons, always going out of adjustment (same can be said for leaf switches, which is why my project is using cherry switches with extended arms). I had thought of an idea where the bottom ring would be one contact point, and the ring would be another. The metal ball creates the jumper to complete the circuit.

spoonless_pop (resized).pngspoonless_pop (resized).png

#1785 7 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

If AP pulls it off wondering if they would make some of this home brew pins ? Good outlet for the builders company and the pinball buyers! It would be great to be able to purchase a Doom or Buffy the Vampire Slayer...
Guess time will tell !

I'd like to see that as well. The wrath of olympus project could potentially become real (other than the small build by owners in the living room on a weekend). No license to deal with, proven design.

#1814 7 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

Imagine the design hours lost in solidwords and on waiting for a 3D printer to churn out a new and improved star post

I really hope that was just him testing the waters with 3d printing (what could be simpler than a star post?). If he really intended to 3d print star posts (which I suppose would hold up ok), seems silly. Maybe he was just jealous of how many parts spooky managed to 3d print on AMH and this was his way to say "hey I 3d print too, look over here!". Afterall, he also shoved a rug underneath magic girl after seeing one under big lebowski.

#1817 7 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

Are you kidding me? Did he actually do that?!

Yes, theres a photo of it in his old shop somewhere. Sadder thing is I don't think he gets the joke because he probably never watched the movie

#1821 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Yes, theres a photo of it in his old shop somewhere

found it

33714011b27b49875fd6a836fae3a7419db2d321[1] (resized).jpg33714011b27b49875fd6a836fae3a7419db2d321[1] (resized).jpg

#1890 7 years ago

Just announced on facebook, Joe balcer joined American pinball

#1925 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

So what are the odds they will not have any playable games at Expo?

Magic girl better be playable if cointaker is picking up games (s)?

I say Houdini plays, code is very basic (like default framework on mission pinball basic). Code updates could easily be patched online later just like Stern does. If they don't have at least that, they can have all the funding and designers in the world, most buyers will be very reluctant to hand over money.

#2043 7 years ago

go read pinball news:
http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2016/index.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scott said right now wasn't the time for John Popadiuk to be at Pinball Expo. John is a consultant, "nothing more, nothing less", he said. Any issues relating to delivery of Magic Girl and other Zidware titles will be addressed by Zidware.

Turning to Houdini, Scott said the intention is to have the game ready to deliver by the end of Q2 2017. He said there's no connection between Houdini and Magic Girl, and Houdini will have its own cabinet design, separate from the Zidware cabinet.

Joe then talked about the hardware American Pinball will be using, saying it's a PC-based system using their own custom boards.

Scott said he got into pinball from working with John Popadiuk at a toy company. Dhaval talked about his history in gaming electronics and experience in international markets.

Joe said their strategy is definitely for their games to be operated, and that's how they are designing it, although they are very conscious of the home collector market. There will only be one version of Houdini, although they might have a limited edition collector version of future titles.

Joe continued, saying he came to the company last week and took over a 75% complete playfield design for Houdini to which he needs to add more features and adjust some of the shots.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That last part sounds like John did a bad job of laying out shots yet again, which is why Joe Balcer was brought in to fix his mistakes (and why Houdini is now 9 months behind)

#2162 7 years ago

walking into that room at expo was just... weird. It was literally a bunch of printed artwork sitting on tables against the walls, and then this playfield sitting lit up on some sort of box with a sheet, and the guys standing around observing everyone's reaction to it. I took a quick look, realized how it didn't look like a playfield that could flip, and walked out. What a sad reveal compared to the rest of expo.

#2236 7 years ago

I have zero sympathy for American pinball. If you just Google John popadiuk, the first 2 links should tell you everything you need to know. Partnering blindly is a great way to sink a sub-company fast.

#2273 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

Spooky can only make good and funny machines, but they still look like 1985 machines

Yes, so many machines in 1985 that had jump ramps and servos, and an elevator that slowly rises not driven by solenoid, and open source code, and freely downloadable cabinet and playfield artwork, and 3d printed parts (also open source and downloadable in case yours breaks 20 years from now). name a single manufacturer that has ever done any of those things.

4 weeks later
#2379 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Even their Facebook page went silent. They were quick to reply there before, post something there and see if you get a response.

last post was from october 20th, stating
"Following expo we wanted to confirm for everyone that we are in fact refreshing the cabinet design and playfield for our Houdini Machine and will be sharing some new pictures in the next few weeks.".

It's exactly 4 weeks today, must be using the JPOP calendar, it has 37 extra leap year days.

#2391 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Don't forget the Z's reduce metal strength and add CNC time. It's not an aircraft, you're not trying to reduce weight.

Add cutting time yes absolutely. Reducing strength probably not as much as you think. If it was a square cut with radii in the corners, it would be the same strength. Z-shapes could possibly distribute forces at weird angles (But a simulation in solidworks would tell you for sure, something John also probably didn't know how to do). Shape cutouts are cool for surfaces that are normally visible, under the playfield not so much. Clearly John never read or created a product cosmetic spec. This goes the same for his hangups on other pinball cabinet with unpainted metal vents in the back.

2 weeks later
#2411 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

The game had potential, although the scope of redesign may be prohibitive.
This may become yet another long running joke in the pinball world, the famous "Houdini disappearing act".
Certainly disappointing based on the opportunity, but I do hope original investors, many which I do know, obtain their MG game someday in consequence.

If I had to GUESS what's going to happen next:
1. Because JPOP rushed houdini effectively making it unplayable (and generally lied how pinball progress works), AP won't honor the MG playfield builds (and what would be the point if they won't work).. they may have already started the process of building new playfields, but that's as far as the build will go.
2. AP dumps the cabinets/playfields, chalks it up as a loss. Tells John to pick them up and do whatever he wants with them but he can't store them at AP. John continues to build up the premise that's he's still trying to build them for customers.
3. Joe Balcer treats houdini as a concept playfield, and tweaks everything to turn it into a working pinball.. AP moves forward as a new pinball startup with Joe Balcer as a reputable pinball designer, and tries to scrub JPOP from their reputation.

I don't imagine you'll hear from AP until something is ready and playable, they already have a black eye so they want to make sure the next reveal is worthy of showing. They said 9 months, so don't expect to see anything until next July.

1 week later
#2472 7 years ago

AP Domain is still valid until Oct 27th of 2017.. it's possible ipage.com (server) is down temporarily

#2483 7 years ago

They may have took the website down until they're ready for the next announcement. Another possibility, John worked on it and vindictively took it down after a fallout? After all, we know John is good at taking websites down (and facebook pages, and blogs).

2 weeks later
#2533 7 years ago
Quoted from DennisK:

I just received an order from Pinball Life and it included a Houdini flyer

Wonder if Terry will supply parts for them? (cash only) .. This should be interesting (with Balcer, not JPOP)

#2599 7 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

Has anyone here contacted terry at pinball life and just asked him what's going on with the ap fliers?

When I was there Friday, he said they gave him a stack of flyers cards and asked him nicely to send them out with orders. He doesn't seem to have any affiliation with them whatsoever. It's no different than when Marco shoves upcoming pinball show flyers in orders.

#2628 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Houdini will never ship

probably will, don't think Balcer is there to just twiddle his thumbs, nor is the programmer they hired.

Quoted from Rarehero:

no one who is paid up on a Zidware game will ever see it get made from AP

100% correct on any zidware title

#2639 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

why not get rid of the theme and start completely fresh?

maybe they paid for some sort of license? Or maybe they DID change the theme, but want it to be a surprise when it's revealed?

#2642 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

What carrot will he dangle in front of the next investor?

pussycat bowling? Or space mission? Or any kitchie atomic retro 60's theme he can slap onto his tall cabinet with plexiglass backbox with integrated speaker and LCD mounted in the back of the playfield?

space mission (resized).jpgspace mission (resized).jpg

atomicshop_banner_rev-01 (resized).pngatomicshop_banner_rev-01 (resized).png

1 week later
#2730 7 years ago

Has AP created some bad PR? Yes..
Have they taken any pre-orders or screwed anyone? No.

Knowing what pinside knows about john, you can imagine the mound of info they've discovered since expo. While they haven't officially cut ties with john, it's surely looking like that's likely.

When houdini finishes, it'll probably play good, and I'm sure it will sell. My hope is that they survive and the many homebrew projects floating around can finally get mass produced if the designers choose to do so

1 month later
#2754 7 years ago

Balcer will be at TPF end of this month.. Surely there will be some news. Not that far away.

3 weeks later
#2930 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

There's no way they're anywhere near 92% now, anyway

If you figure Stern builds 15k games a year (Jody has said they build between 55-60 games a day), then that leaves 1300 pins for everyone not stern if they are at 92%

Spooky is up to what, one a day? that's 260
Heighway is ramping up, but they are still low numbers while they complete their factory.. maybe 50/month? 600/year
JJP probably easily sells 1,000/year between Woz and hobbit many many many editions

AP is just getting into the game
Dutch barely eeked out 50 games before the factory asked for more money
P3 hasn't started shipping as far as I know

So 1910 non-stern games, divided by the total of 16910, Stern is actually more like 89% of the market and slowly dropping as more companies take a bigger slice of the pie.

#2941 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

In line to play it right now. Slow moving line = long ball times

Looks like Terry from pinball life is there

#3076 7 years ago

Now I get how you guys pulled it off in 5 months, LOTS of hard work (and it shows). This pin shows a lot of promise, really great job for a first pin out of the gate. Huge kudos to the entire team.

#3094 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

As far as 'lighting bolts', there are none of those in the machine, nor will your find a 'Z', even in the 'spirit board' high score entry screen. The lack of a was not taken well by a particular parts guy with a Z in his name. It was pointed out, that even though you can see it, you can still enter it. So if you see a Z, its as not done by us Again, as a reminder, nothing that was done by John was kept, we started over from scratch, keeping nothing but the name.

As asked before, can the op please update the title. It's clear that THIS houdini title has nothing to do with JPOP.

5 months later
#3166 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I hate spoons, always going out of adjustment (same can be said for leaf switches, which is why my project is using cherry switches with extended arms). I had thought of an idea where the bottom ring would be one contact point, and the ring would be another. The metal ball creates the jumper to complete the circuit.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jpop-game-houdini-just-announced/page/35#post-3378733

Looks like Ben is using this concept for his mini pinball:

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 36.95
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 84.99
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 119.99
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 9.95
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jpop-game-houdini-just-announced?tu=toyotaboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.