New Game Houdini? Just Announced by American Pinball.

(Topic ID: 169477)

New Game Houdini? Just Announced by American Pinball.

By RickThorn

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 3,177 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 85 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 303 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20170505_122504 (resized).jpg
20170506_201321 (resized).jpg
20170506_201325 (resized).jpg
20170506_201329 (resized).jpg
20170506_201334 (resized).jpg
20170506_201313 (resized).jpg
20170506_201339 (resized).jpg
20170506_172939 (resized).jpg
20170506_172921 (resized).jpg
tesla (resized).jpg
1m7dqw (resized).jpg
20170326_010217 (resized).jpg
20170326_010211 (resized).jpg
20170326_010205 (resized).jpg
20170326_010202 (resized).jpg
IMG_1099 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3177 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 64.
#2851 1 year ago

$6995 confirmed.

Reverse flipper mode

#2852 1 year ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Amazed at how far they've gotten in so little time, having literally just started up. It appears they have a more advanced machine after 4-5 months of work than some companies have managed in 3-6 years.
Less than convinced by the art and backbox, but the mechs look good and it's absolutely rammed with features.
Very glad they got rid of the ridiculous half obscured JPop screen position as well as his game design.

Actual Features or decorations/ plastic toys?

#2853 1 year ago

Definitely curious about this pin but still alot of questions that will hopefully be addressed over the next up coming months. More pinball is always a plus in my book.... good job American pinball......

#2854 1 year ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

$6995 confirmed.
Reverse flipper mode
» YouTube video

Not a bad price at all considering what others go for. Def looking forward to see how this game turns

#2855 1 year ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

$6995 confirmed.
Reverse flipper mode
» YouTube video

Damn Balcer must love this gimmick... was also in TSPP ("the pin that saved Stern")

#2856 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Actual Features or decorations/ plastic toys?

JPop's design was purely the latter. The Balcer design appears to be the former.

#2857 1 year ago

Are the chain sounds when the ball is in the pops from the recorded audio, or is that physical sound?

#2858 1 year ago

Looks awesome!

#2859 1 year ago
Quoted from Manic:

Damn Balcer must love this gimmick... was also in TSPP ("the pin that saved Stern")

It's Keith Johnson's "gimmick", not Balcers. It's also in WOZ.

#2861 1 year ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It's Keith Johnson's "gimmick", not Balcers. It's also in WOZ.

I didn't say it was HIS gimmick... just that he obviously likes it.

I find the reversed flipper gimmick zero fun myself.

#2862 1 year ago

Looks neat but not sure how everything works or where some of the shots go? Looks like alot of the holes and targets are just basically just getting lucky bounces and hoping the ball just falls/hits them which im not a fan of. The stuff that back alley made looks nice tho. Is there only 1 ramp or an i missing the other entrance? Here are some good pics.....FB_IMG_1490418646749 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1490418643838 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1490418641035 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1490418638129 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1490418635283 (resized).jpg

#2863 1 year ago

Hmm I remember that catapult shot on Jpop's Houdini, same spot too. But regardless looks neat.

#2864 1 year ago

Great pics...man that little alleyway between the right orbit and right ramp has got to be the tightest shot I've ever seen.

All the standup targets littering that area sure won't help either... interesting.

#2865 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Looks neat but not sure how everything works or where some of the shots go? Looks like alot of the holes and targets are just basically just getting lucky bounces and hoping the ball just falls/hits them which im not a fan of. The stuff that back alley made looks nice tho. Is there only 1 ramp or an i missing the other entrance? Here are some good pics.....

Out of context, that may seem true, but you have to remember this is a magic theme and they explained that alot of the holes that appear "lucky" are meant to make the ball disappear and reappear on the playfield ("magic"). There are 3 total places the ball can reappear at any time when the ball dissappears. Through the subway and out the Right scoop; the ball holds and re-plunges; or a ball drop from the left side ball stack (that is under the ramp on that side, like how the ball releases on right side of ramp on Avengers).

The game also holds 7 balls and will be eventually programmed for a 7 ball multiball.

Left side ball stack pictured:

IMG_7186 (1) (resized).jpg

#2866 1 year ago

Looks pretty damn cool to me!

#2867 1 year ago

More pics for those interested:

IMG_7188 (resized).jpg

IMG_7189 (resized).jpg

IMG_7187 (resized).jpg

IMG_7190 (resized).jpg

#2868 1 year ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

Out of context, that may seem true, but you have to remember this is a magic theme and they explained that alot of the holes that appear "lucky" are meant to make the ball disappear and reappear on the playfield ("magic"). There are 3 total places the ball can reappear at any time when the ball dissappears. Through the subway and out the Right scoop; the ball holds and re-plunges; or a ball drop from the left side ball stack (that is under the ramp on that side, like how the ball releases on right side of ramp on Avengers).
The game also holds 7 balls and will be eventually programmed for a 7 ball multiball.
Left side ball stack pictured:

No kidding? That's a cool idea.

#2869 1 year ago

Reverse and inverted like being in a straight jacket very ackward indeed I like it, and it fits the theme perfectly.

The low scoring vs high it shouldn't matter at all if scoring rules are the same proportions​.

I kinda dig low scoring.

I like how they made such a massive change that all memory of jpop seems removed. It's like he vanished!

Looks like maybe some side art ?? But from a distance just looks like a blank Gottlieb system 80b cabinet. Needs something​, old school stencils that pop and draw you in closer?

Impressive what they managed in the time they had. Keep it up, as that should be the normal pace to stay in this business.

I'll give it some of my money on location for sure.

AP gets a big thumbs up for now!!

#2870 1 year ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Looks pretty damn cool to me!

I agree. Houdini has definitely piqued my interest!

#2871 1 year ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

» YouTube video

At 2:02 here there morse code when right scoop was hit.

--/../.../.../../---/-./.../..../---/---/-/.-./.-/--/.--./.../.--./../-./-././.-./

Translates to:

M I S S I O N S H O O T R A M P S P I N N E R

Was hoping for something more secretive but oh well. Good attention to detail?!

#2872 1 year ago
Quoted from timballs:

something more secretive

Well, the secret messages, would be a little more secret, wouldn't they?

#2873 1 year ago

Very cool. I like how the display is integrated with the backglass. Looks like eye candy. Awesome first or second game of you can call it that

#2874 1 year ago

Looks great but I hope this trend of a screen on the playfield ends sometime soon.

#2875 1 year ago

I'm impressed by the playfield artwork, nicely done.
Also the pop bumpers look fantastic. Thanks for using real chains!

#2876 1 year ago

Good looking pinball machine. I love the backbox and the screen.

Can so confirm there is a single ramp? I almost regret there is not a third flipper at the right side with a ramp to do.

However I don't think this pin is for me, some shot seems to be very tight, like ramp (and it seems to need strong flipper to do it) and the tiny loop beside.

I hope it is a fun pin, not frustrating one. I prefer a hard pin through the gameplay but not coz of hardware.

And what about flow?

#2877 1 year ago

If the game is being sold 'cash & carry' then I really do wish AP the best with it.

#2878 1 year ago

Looks good.
I think the only made shot I saw in those vids was the orbit. Looking forward to seeing more.

#2879 1 year ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Looks good.
I think the only made shot I saw in those vids was the orbit. Looking forward to seeing more.

I'd agree looks very clunky and not smooth; I hope that is not the case because it looks very wild

#2880 1 year ago
Quoted from musketd:

I'd agree looks very clunky and not smooth

It looks like a true shooters game with tight shots. It reminds me of GOT with the tight shots. I actually enjoy difficult shots that need to be precise. When I first played GOT I was bricking all the time in between post, then I started to slow it down and aim more. It helped with progressing further into the game. I also like the reverse flippers with reverse action on up and down motion. It reminds me of Houdini being tied up and having to play pinball-very cool. I also like Houdini and the chains on playfield that light up with advancement, this game is looking very interesting to me.

#2881 1 year ago

My congratulations go out to the entire Houdini team - to go from a bare whitewood to a fully complete prototype machine in only a few weeks is an amazing accomplishment, you should all be very proud.

But, please reconsider the muddy, SEGA-style artwork. Mixing illustration with photos and having stretched type is not a good look. I know it's easy to write off that opinion and just listen to the people who like it, but consider what happened to Hobbit, or how people responded to Ghostbusters and Aerosmith, or even how JPOP got a million dollars out of people for just showing amazing art. Artwork really makes a huge difference.

I don't want my somewhat negative reaction to dampen enthusiasm, I'd just like to see AP produce the best game they can.

#2882 1 year ago

... what... the ...F!

I was expecting to think "oh well, too bad... it's only their first pin...". But holy hell was I surprised! The art looks great, I love the steampunk theme... how did they do this in 4 months! If these guys have their act together in manufacturing, and can control costs (which in this day and age they should be able to predict to the penny), this could be a huge upset situation.

Getting this game together in such a short time suggests to me they are looking st efficiencies we do NOT see with some of the other manufacturers. They also clearly did not second guess choices after they were made, which I think is a lot of the issue with other games ("scope creep"). It seems like they just had their ideas, tested and implemented and... bam, built it!

Game looks fun, too - kind of an important thing!!

#2883 1 year ago
Quoted from jwilson:

My congratulations go out to the entire Houdini team - to go from a bare whitewood to a fully complete prototype machine in only a few weeks is an amazing accomplishment, you should all be very proud.
But, please reconsider the muddy, SEGA-style artwork. Mixing illustration with photos and having stretched type is not a good look. I know it's easy to write off that opinion and just listen to the people who like it, but consider what happened to Hobbit, or how people responded to Ghostbusters and Aerosmith, or even how JPOP got a million dollars out of people for just showing amazing art. Artwork really makes a huge difference.
I don't want my somewhat negative reaction to dampen enthusiasm, I'd just like to see AP produce the best game they can.

I am curious how it looks in person. In photos, the art looks every bit as bad as GoT art.

#2885 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am curious how it looks in person. In photos, the art looks every bit as bad as GoT art.

It's not hand drawn that's for sure but it's still very detailed. Here's an example for art that looks bad or for the sega comparisons. Houdini is like night and day compared to this.

I guess you would prefer they lost the innovative catapult for a third LCD?

image (resized).jpg

#2886 1 year ago

So are there 2 catapults - one on the left side of the game and one at the top of the game?

#2887 1 year ago

I don't get the angst about the art. I liked the Mandraws version but this looks OK too. I mean, if you zoom in on tiny details on the playfield, maybe there is stuff to complain about but as a package it looks fairly cohesive to me. I think the sculpts, plastics, playfield, cabinet art and backglass all work pretty well together, they are done in the same style. I actually really like the LCD animations and they way they integrate into the backglass.

#2888 1 year ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

I don't get the angst about the art. I liked the Mandraws version but this looks OK too. I mean, if you zoom in on tiny details on the playfield, maybe there is stuff to complain about but as a package it looks fairly cohesive to me. I think the sculpts, plastics, playfield, cabinet art and backglass all work pretty well together, they are done in the same style. I actually really like the LCD animations and they way they integrate into the backglass.

#2889 1 year ago
Quoted from Grg:

It's not hand drawn that's for sure but it's still very detailed. Here's an example for art that looks bad or for the sega comparisons. Houdini is like night and day compared to this.
I guess you would prefer they lost the innovative catapult for a third LCD?

odd to try and deflect and use old photos of plank playfields. I just asked a question on how it look in person.

Populated this actually is some pretty great art IMO. Fits very well for the theme, but I was not trying to make a comparison. i was asking for in person reviews on how Hounidi looks.

alien1 (resized).jpg

#2890 1 year ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

So are there 2 catapults - one on the left side of the game and one at the top of the game?

Yeah one at the top is your other ramp
Feed

#2891 1 year ago

Wow, I dig this! It looks really nice IMO. Nice job AP.

#2892 1 year ago

well....... think I want one but want to play it first , sure hope these guys bring this to Southern Fried

#2893 1 year ago
Quoted from Grg:

the innovative catapult

Having the catapult fling the ball out in the open where it'll most likely break stuff is innovation? Because the mech isn't new.

#2894 1 year ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

well....... think I want one but want to play it first , sure hope these guys bring this to Southern Fried

Spooky is coming, so maybe Mr Houdini can hitch a ride?

#2895 1 year ago

You guys are nuts, the artwork looks fantastic in person.

#2896 1 year ago

khabbi Can you share your impressions on the machine and game play from what you have seen?

#2897 1 year ago

I would like to see some decent video with someone who has decent skills. Where is Bowen when you need him? Seriously though I want to see some video footage longer than 20 seconds showing more than just brick shots.

#2898 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I would like to see some decent video with someone who has decent skills. Where is Bowen when you need him? Seriously though I want to see some video footage longer than 20 seconds showing more than just brick shots.

I'm sure there will be more video once the show opens today. Have to keep in mind that so far it was just the limited access at the seminar. They'll be in the show hall all day today/tomorrow.

#2899 1 year ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

limited access at the seminar

If I was in the business of manufacturing pinball machines I would seriously hire Bowen to help with the release ceremony. I would allow him to play a proto for a couple of days and get familiar with the layout and the rules and then watch him kill it and play the game the way it should be played in front of an audience.
I also noticed on the new Jetsons machine that there are no instruction cards. To me that looks in-complete and why would you show a new game for the first time to the public without instruction cards? ( Mabye I am missing something and they have not made cards yet because the objectives and rules are still TBD?) For the time frame that this game was put together I am very impressed. Jetsons does not impress me at all.

#2900 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

If I was in the business of manufacturing pinball machines I would seriously hire Bowen to help with the release ceremony. I would allow him to play a proto for a couple of days and get familiar with the layout and the rules and then watch him kill it and play the game the way it should be played in front of an audience.
I also noticed on the new Jetsons machine that there are no instruction cards. To me that looks in-complete and why would you show a new game for the first time to the public without instruction cards? ( Mabye I am missing something and they have not made cards yet because the objectives and rules are still TBD?) For the time frame that this game was put together I am very impressed. Jetsons does not impress me at all.

There's so little on the Jetsons that it can't require much explanation.

As for Houdini and other games. It would be nice.

But I think most manufacturers are very keen to avoid too much scrutiny early, or indeed at all in some cases. Lone exception being JJP, who conduct the testing and development of their machines very much in the open, once revealed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
€ 40.00
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 35.00
Electronics
Ewe22 Security PIC Chips
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 15.00
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
$ 115.00
Cabinet Parts
Merf's Pins
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 53.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 35.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3177 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 64.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside