(Topic ID: 169477)

New Game Houdini? Just Announced by American Pinball.

By RickThorn

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3,206 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 74 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 303 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20170505_122504 (resized).jpg
20170506_201321 (resized).jpg
20170506_201325 (resized).jpg
20170506_201329 (resized).jpg
20170506_201334 (resized).jpg
20170506_201313 (resized).jpg
20170506_201339 (resized).jpg
20170506_172939 (resized).jpg
20170506_172921 (resized).jpg
tesla (resized).jpg
1m7dqw (resized).jpg
20170326_010217 (resized).jpg
20170326_010211 (resized).jpg
20170326_010205 (resized).jpg
20170326_010202 (resized).jpg
IMG_1099 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3177 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 64.
#2951 2 years ago

You guys wanna buy this thing be my guest. Still seems like a johnny come lately cash grab to me but unless the market collapses there's surely a market for this thing at $7,000. And no denying they proved it can be done quick...all the other non-sterns seem to be taking years to churn something out.

Looks like they put the right team together.

#2952 2 years ago

I like what I see.

Couple other comments (from a couple guys) I agree with;

1) Stage curtain on backbox display show nice curtains on both sides. I think they should close stage drapes from both sides, not just the left side
2) Chains on pop bumpers & ramp, are way to new & shiny.

I'm anxious to read more and hopefully plan it soon.

#2953 2 years ago

Comment in another thread indicates those shiny chains are temp, what could be gotten in time for show

#2954 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You guys wanna buy this thing be my guest. Still seems like a johnny come lately cash grab to me but unless the market collapses there's surely a market for this thing at $7,000. And no denying they proved it can be done quick...all the other non-sterns seem to be taking years to churn something out.

Scrapping Jpop's Houdini design and rebuilding from scratch, keeping their word and making MG owners "whole" even after Jpop Jpooped them, and producing machines without preorder money upfront. Cash grab indeed.

#2955 2 years ago

Just some unneeded info.....

Houdini was quite a unique person, he even ended up as a Spy for the US government.

I attended a Halloween Sceance for him in the late 70s with Randi and other Magicians.
What a hoot!

The respect from his peers, sticks with me still.

The weirdest. thing for me that I did only recently, was to listen to audio recordings of him speaking.....Not at all the voice I imagined.

Worth a 3 minute listen.

From what I know, I believe he would be thrilled at seeing this pin made in his honour!

#2956 2 years ago

From what I know, I believe he would be thrilled at seeing this pin made in his honour!
Hell who wouldn't except maybe Harry Potter!

#2957 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Hell who wouldn't except maybe Harry Potter!

Michael J. Fox didn't want his face and many don't want their voices. So, you never know.

#2958 2 years ago

My only gripe on the art from the pictures is that on the back glass, harry essentially disappears into the u shape because of how it lines up

#2959 2 years ago

I know I've been down on the art, but I just wanted to re-iterate that this is still an amazing accomplishment, to see this level of finished work in such a short amount of time. It shows they're the real deal.

So in the name of fairness, here's what I like about the game:

- The pop bumper lock/chain setup
- The chain link inserts
- The multiple catapults

Definitely bringing some unique touches. So, kudos to the whole team.

#2960 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

Scrapping Jpop's Houdini design and rebuilding from scratch, keeping their word and making MG owners "whole" even after Jpop Jpooped them, and producing machines without preorder money upfront. Cash grab indeed.

It's a hastily thrown together project funded by some bored billionaires trying to move out some product while people are still happily doling out $7,000 for new games. It's a cash grab. Unless you think they are going for a Nobel prize here?

#2961 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's a hastily thrown together project funded by some bored billionaires trying to move out some product while people are still happily doling out $7,000 for new games. It's a cash grab. Unless you think they are going for a Nobel prize here?

I thought that's called business....Why are you so upset at a company making an entrance I to the hobby?
Or why not just ignore the thread....?

#2962 2 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Otherwise I have to ask if Houdini ever had a robot?

The first ever robot in a movie was Q the automaton in houdini's silent movie serial, "mastery mystery", you can find it on YouTube. Three robot did not yet exist

#2963 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So just to be sure... you DON'T approve of this project and want it gone from the face of the earth??

#2964 2 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

1) Stage curtain on backbox display show nice curtains on both sides. I think they should close stage drapes from both sides, not just the left side
2) Chains on pop bumpers & ramp, are way to new & shiny.

Originally the curtain on the backglass parted in the middle, but we were unable to duplicate that for the actual stage mech in the machine, so we changed it to match the mech. But certainly something we may revisit.

We could not get a chain that had the right look in time, but will be a weathered looking chain.

#2965 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

The first ever robot in a movie was Q the automaton in houdini's silent movie serial, "mastery mystery", you can find it on YouTube. Three robot did not yet exist

Yet they always want to pair Houdini up with an elephant in the art. I don't think he ever made an elephant disappear.

Then again I don't mind some "artistic license" being applied. I've certainly seen worse art than this. High praise I know.

#2966 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Originally the curtain on the backglass parted in the middle, but we were unable to duplicate that for the actual stage mech in the machine, so we changed it to match the mech. But certainly something we may revisit.
We could not get a chain that had the right look in time, but will be a weathered looking chain.

What are all the toys on the game?

#2967 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Totally agree there. I'm not interested in buying but I wouldn't mind playing it because...well, you know...I like pinball.

It will be interesting to see how well it plays for such a short development.

I wonder what the story behind Balcer's layout is. If he already had ideas to change things at Expo or started fresh. 5 months have past since Expo. How does that development time compare with Stern?

#2968 2 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I don't think he ever made an elephant disappear.

He did it only one time, and no one is quite sure how he did it.

We have tried to be as factual as we can, not saying we did not take poetic license a little. We have a feature around him being a spy for the government, which has never been confirmed, but if he was a spy, not like he would be talking about it

#2969 2 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

What are all the toys on the game?

The two main toys are the steamer trunk, which opens and then we throw a ball via a catapult 20+ inches through the air.ive seen it hundred of times and I still get a thrill each time it does it.

Second toy is the stage that has a curtain that opens and closes and once inside we can make the ball disappear and even reappear

Also three hidden magnets a second catapult a couple of vuks, subway . . .

#2970 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

The two main toys are the steamer trunk, which opens and then we throw a ball via a catapult 20+ inches through the air.ive seen it hundred of times and I still get a thrill each time it does it.
Second toy is the stage that has a curtain that opens and closes and once inside we can make the ball disappear and even reappear
Also three hidden magnets a second catapult a couple of vuks, subway . . .

Very cool how deep will rules be? And will scoring be higher when finished?

#2971 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Thanks for listening and responding!

#2972 2 years ago

Yes very cool all the feedback from the Houdini team

#2973 2 years ago

I wish AP the very best of luck with this. They've pulled a rabbit out of the hat twice now!

I love steampunk, and as a design ethos for this pin think it would work really well.

#2974 2 years ago

Congrats to American Pinball for really putting together what looks to be a great game. I will for sure be an interested buyer. The only thing I'm not loving are the sides of the backbox, I would prefer a more traditional look.
Other than that I can't wait for the opportunity to purchase one.

#2975 2 years ago

I really have not been able to get into the boutique pins for some reason. Alien was the first boutique game that had me even remotely interested. Now this Houdini has me interested. I actually like the entire package including the art and backbox. It is different and unique and the theme is not a main stream franchise. Reminds me of the magical 90's Williams era style pin. I am digging what I see!

#2976 2 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Very cool how deep will rules be? And will scoring be higher when finished

A little hard to respond right now to these questions via my phone and while talking to folks playing, but I'll answer questions posted as best I can when time permits.

#2977 2 years ago

AP, if you can produce these games, I'll buy one. No preorder shenanigans, that ship has sailed. But if you put this game in a box at a reasonable price, I want one.

#2978 2 years ago

rosh thank you for even posting here. I for one really appreciate the direct communication, Houdini looks to be in great shape at this point. Can we really expect this to ship this year? And is there only one model? I actually prefer one model with everything as opposed to all the LE, SE, MEME, editions

#2979 2 years ago

Dibs on number one off the line

#2980 2 years ago

I like it. Great job American Pinball!!

I'll take one Houdini and the next STEAMPUNK themed machine.

#2981 2 years ago

How about when the power is off real velvet curtains close covering the LCD screen?

#2982 2 years ago

I'm really impressed seeing this progress. AP appears to have really been hard at work, which is the opposite of other boutique manufactures that have gone to lawsuit as of late.

#2983 2 years ago

Only played twice but like what I saw. Looking forward to more time on this game. Does not feel cheap at all. The catapult is very cool. Put the JPOP stuff in the past. Let's all keep an open mind and enjoy more new pinball than we have had in a long time.

The AFMR, Alien, TBL, AC from Spooky, Aerosmith, BM66, and more to come. And I finally got to check out Dialed In.its a fun game but the name is still hard to really appreciate as an original theme.

Not every theme is gonna be for everyone. Bottom line is Houdini is more than a pretty cabinet with flashing lights. Play it if you get a chance and be your own judge.

#2984 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

He did it only one time, and no one is quite sure how he did it.

Houdini hid the elephant more than once and we know how he did it. There is a wonderful book by Jim Steinmeyer called "Hiding the Elephant" which goes over all of the great advances in magic from the Black Art principle to Pepper's Ghost (which is used in Ghostbusters) to Houdini's elephant vanish. Houdini desperately wanted to be respected among his peers as one of the greatest magicians but his fan base just wanted to see the escapes. Houdini was crushed that the elephant illusion was not as well received by the public as he'd hoped.

Congrats on the game AP! I'm a huge fan of the history of magic so this is my theme. If you want a little constructive feedback, the previous artwork on the backglass was freaking amazing. The new backglass art is ok but I am a bit disappointed. I think Harry needs to be on the backglass. Best of luck.

#2985 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

A little hard to respond right now to these questions via my phone and while talking to folks playing, but I'll answer questions posted as best I can when time permits.

How about the European market? Planning to ship games here? Distributors?

#2986 2 years ago

Does AP have european distibutor? When will the games start being delivered.....?

#2987 2 years ago

After all the other announcements this is the one i want. I think it might be time to move a couple out and a new one in.
Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

#2988 2 years ago

I love this pinball machine and i would Like to buy it, but How ?

#2989 2 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

How about the European market? Planning to ship games here? Distributors?

#2990 2 years ago
Quoted from lpierrick:

I love this pinball machine and i would Like to buy it, but How ?

Carry on Luggage, with a visit?

#2991 2 years ago

Impatient to know

#2992 2 years ago

No direct sales?
If so, who are the distributors?

#2993 2 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Houdini hid the elephant more than once and we know how he did it. There is a wonderful book by Jim Steinmeyer called "Hiding the Elephant" which goes over all of the great advances in magic from the Black Art principle to Pepper's Ghost (which is used in Ghostbusters) to Houdini's elephant vanish. Houdini desperately wanted to be respected among his peers as one of the greatest magicians but his fan base just wanted to see the escapes. Houdini was crushed that the elephant illusion was not as well received by the public as he'd hoped.
Congrats on the game AP! I'm a huge fan of the history of magic so this is my theme. If you want a little constructive feedback, the previous artwork on the backglass was freaking amazing. The new backglass art is ok but I am a bit disappointed. I think Harry needs to be on the backglass. Best of luck.

A disappearing Harry on the backglass like the Dr Dude transformation effect?

#2994 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Do you even bother to read what you type before hitting the "Send post" button?

#2995 2 years ago

Can someone please post a link to some decent game play

#2996 2 years ago

I had those same gear flipper toppers on my GoT.

#2997 2 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

Can someone please post a link to some decent game play

There isnt any yet...it was only available to play for like the last 24 hours......Patience!

#2998 2 years ago

In case Anyone is interested...line waz to long to play so this is the best I could do.

20170326_113537 (resized).jpg

20170326_113546 (resized).jpg

#2999 2 years ago

anyone with pics of the backbox, cabinet and front artwork?

#3000 2 years ago

I sure hope one of these is at Allentown this year, looks fantastic!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
There are 3177 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 64.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside