(Topic ID: 169477)

New Game Houdini? Just Announced by American Pinball.

By RickThorn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,206 posts
  • 463 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170505_122504 (resized).jpg
20170506_201321 (resized).jpg
20170506_201325 (resized).jpg
20170506_201329 (resized).jpg
20170506_201334 (resized).jpg
20170506_201313 (resized).jpg
20170506_201339 (resized).jpg
20170506_172939 (resized).jpg
20170506_172921 (resized).jpg
tesla (resized).jpg
1m7dqw (resized).jpg
20170326_010217 (resized).jpg
20170326_010211 (resized).jpg
20170326_010205 (resized).jpg
20170326_010202 (resized).jpg
IMG_1099 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2532 American pinball is advertising in pinball life orders Posted by DennisK (7 years ago)

Post #2768 Press Release from American Pinball before TPF 2017 Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #2820 video of game reveal at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2829 TPF gameplay video (short) Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2831 Photo of Houdini backbox/translite Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #2839 more short Houdini gameplay video from TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2841 Video of Houdini catapult toy in action Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #2851 Price confirmed as $6995 from sources at TPF Posted by Khabbi (7 years ago)

Post #3006 A quick review of TPF reactions. Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Post #3050 Some history of Houdini leading up to TPF from rosh Posted by rosh (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rubberducks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#55 7 years ago

If (big if) it's real, it's obviously going to be a rethemed Magic Girl with elements of his various other past designs.

#136 7 years ago

IIRC Houdini name (even if "Harry Houdini") would require no licensing even if he still has an active estate, even in the US.

90 years since his death, so definitely no copyright for anything, and I suspect any trademarks aren't hugely active and pinball I'm pretty sure is a new sector so probably wouldn't require licensing due to no trademark activity in recent times (can't imagine there have been any arcade / gaming machines themed on him in 15-25 years either).

Potentially wrong though.

#218 7 years ago

The reviews can and will be deleted. The company has not released a product or a service for anyone to review.

#221 7 years ago

I'm pretty sure they don't have the ability to do it, but can appeal to cs to have it done.

#347 7 years ago

IMO it's legit.

Dhaval is the son of the founder of Aimtron Electronics, who definitely have the expertise to engineer (electronic and mechanical) and build these machines, and more importantly manage the project(s).

The photos look like they may have been taken inside of Aimtron's Palatine facility (North side of Chicago).

Should be very interesting ... given what they do, they won't have been going in green from a technological and developmental perspective, unlike other new entrants - DP, JJP, HW, HP, SC, SP.

#405 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

There would still be fraud angles to pursue when things are significantly different from what you were sold and signed up to buy

Not really.

#427 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Yes really. If I order a Nissan 350z based on pre-release specifications, estimates, and mock ups.... Then you deliever a Honda Civic with Nissan badges and still call it the 350z I ordered,, I could pursue fraud based on multiple angles. "Subject to change" covers your tail for change to a degree... It does not excuse deceptive tactics or fraudulent claims.
It depends on how materially and significant different what you were sold on verse what they deliever. To bring it closer to home.. If stern announced smve as a remake of the original with updated art and toys... Then delievered their new ThePinv2 to your doorstep... you'd have a civil case at your option.
As usual... The challenge is you have to invest in the case to pursue.

Large multinational car companies don't take pre-orders for production models when they're years from production in a prototype stage (when they haven't even been shown, save for spy shots at a test track).

Your analogy does not work.

If you pre-order something still being heavily prototyped and never shown in a near final form, how can you then dictate the terms of its completion and features, engineering and appearance therein?

If you or others want to pursue something like this, if they do deliver, good luck to you .. you'll be pouring far more money down the drain than any original losses.

#432 7 years ago
Quoted from davebowman:

But still, the point is valid. Why would a company do this? Spend time and money correcting jpop's past? Surely, he can't have such an impact on a company...is he THAT amazing?

Because, if they're serious about entering the industry in a significant way, it's a gigantic amount of publicity.

The idea that JPop 'customers' would ever see a machine, after Pintasia fell through, was preposterous.

Yet, it could now happen.

They get to be the knight in shining armour.

No doubt the machine will be available to purchase, too.

How else could they get so much buzz and chatter? Everyone's talking about this now, instead of JJP #3, AFMr, Alien(s) and BM '66.

#437 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Nice strawman. They do however do what I outlined... Which is why it was cited with that exact model. The example is to show an example of the law, not jpop' timeline or process. Jpop did establish enough of a concept and promises to get many people here to commit with hard cash. He didn't just sell "I have an idea that is pinball related". Again, the amount of material differences is where the judgement would be made. Not absolutes like you tried to project.

Your example isn't remotely relevant, for the reasons specified. Further, if you pre-order something expensive from a large company, you ALWAYS sign a detailed contract, laying out the terms. Do you have one of those to point to with Zidware? Thought not.

#656 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Yeah agreed. Regardless this is nuts. He'll be texting me pics when it's unveiled. Should I just add them to this or start an official/unofficial Houdini thread?

Start a new thread. This is just a circlejerk of social (network) disfunction.

#907 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

MG was also $16k
I could find no IP owner for Houdini. Meaning they might not have had to pay for it

90 years since his death. No image rights anywhere, even the US.

#953 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You can tell a few of the hype-monsters have raging boners for this game already. Look, it's OK to think it looks cool...but REMEMBER REALITY. Remember the Jpop ponzi scheme. Even if you weren't ripped off by Jpop or don't care about those who did, do not PRE-ORDER or give AP a cent unless there is tangible evidence this game PLAYS, plays WELL, can be manufactured well, manufactured soon, and shipped. If anything shitty happens, no one will have any sympathy for those who just jump on this considering the facts.

That would surely go for any game. Aimtron haven't ripped anyone off.

#960 7 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Just wanted to add a personal thought...Right or faulse
If i was in the JP position, with my skills and the work i've done in the past, you can be sure that i would not be in business with AP as an employee but an associate and gets some shares of the company. So i would really get the opportunity to repair my mistakes.

Doubtful, and it'd be an incredibly stupid move on Aimtron / AP's part.

They're doing him a massive favour re: MG etc, and no doubt partly en lieu of higher pay / commission for him. Even a year ago, I'm guessing JPop barely had a cent left, and needs money .... hence probably why you're seeing two games at once from Aimtron. MG for good PR for the company, and for JPop to redeem himself. Houdini for both parties to get paid.

If they fall out with JPop or there are issues with him, granting him capital would make it very difficult. Why bother to risk it? If they're developing these machines, and quickly, they clearly have the resources to pay him.

#1389 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Have people ever gone crazy at expo during a seminar?
If you read this thread you can imagine some fireworks during their presentation but I'm guessing it will be pretty tame.

The venue has security. Presumably anyone misbehaving will be thrown out unceremoniously, as they should be.

2 weeks later
#2176 7 years ago

As far as I'm concerned, what has emerged is very positive.

JPop is just a consultant on Houdini.

Zidware is totally separate.

They are simply the contractor for MG.

Balcer has been taken on and absolutely will fix the game.

May not be great news re: original JPop backers, but it's great news regarding AP being a serious entity and Houdini.

But yeah, I strongly suspect that they only recently realised they needed to get Joe in.

2 months later
#2498 7 years ago

Don't know what people were expecting given that it became obvious that JPop had sold them something which didn't work, the tone of their seminar, and Joe Balcer's employment and his comments on the readiness of the game.

It obviously doesn't look that great, but on the other hand Joe was responsible for WOZ, so I think there is some reason to be optimistic, if he's given sufficient time and budget to finish the game.

I'm sure they'll show something if and when they have it.

If they leave, I'd expect them to publicly state why (JPop).

2 weeks later
#2669 7 years ago

It looks like there was a change even in the few days between the two New Year posts. I suspect they reached a final impasse with JPop on the former, and the fallout was that they parted ways entirely as alluded to in the latter.

Now that they've essentially all but said JPop is gone and his unworkable original design is a thing of the past, I'm fairly optimistic.

Joe can definitely work some 'magic'. The company behind AP can definitely design and manufacture electronics, and do assembly. I'd say it's mainly now a question of will, and how much money they're prepared to invest in the project, now that Popadiuk and his design are history. That's still of course a major question, but they clearly had an opportunity to jump ship after they realised they'd been taken for a ride by JPop. They didn't take that opportunity.

For people wondering if the whole thing is a scam and whether any of the staff or contractors are getting paid ...

.... you have to imagine that at least two people are getting paid a salary, rather than vague allusions to some kind of compensation. It would be extraordinary for someone of Balcer's experience, talent and the sorry background of the whole endeavour for him to accept anything less. Also, one of their other staff members has been burned in the past, not getting paid for their work in the pinball industry. So you'd imagine they'd insist on a decent salary too, and be extremely shy of anything but cash in hand.

#2691 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

No, it looks dated because it looks dated. It's 90's Playstation 1 level polygons and animation without the art direction those games had. It gets tough love because of the art direction. I love the new concept, but the concept is irrelevant if the games don't look contemporary and appealing.

I'd say it looks more like a browser / facebook integrated game from 2 or 3 years ago ... one of the poorer ones. Unfortunately.

#2709 7 years ago
Quoted from TheBEAVR:

You forgot con in front of artist. Also, if he were so great he wouldn't have fucked up the woman in ToM nor had to rip off the martians from "Mars Attacks."

Contrary to what he might like to have people believe, JPop is not the artist on any of his games (including BW days), AFAIK.

As far as P3 commissioning the same calibre of work ... well that would probably rely on them deceiving potential contractors about remuneration, which I suspect they're very much unwilling to do. Good work costs good money, generally.

#2721 7 years ago

You'd think they might have withdrawn those endorsements ....

They shouldn't, but many people place a lot of stock in linked.in endorsements ... maybe Aimtron did too ...

#2740 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

It is possible the rights were straightened out . . . We have not heard from the rights owner about this since the initial "no reply". But with the up and down of this crowd I understand. It is up to him if he wants to comment. Would be nice to have an idea of what has transpired there.

If you mean Pintasia / Bill Brandes, I suspect he's the last thing holding back MG from being produced. Just look at how Houdini was delivered, as a supposedly working or workable design, and the subsequent fallout.

2 months later
#2789 7 years ago

Probably not wise to prejudge it, but:

• The $7k no preorder model has now become a limited time introductory offer (preorders), with presumably signifacant price increases thereafter.

• Art. Even if JPop's direction and production of the previous game's art was less than perfect, the artist had clear talent and craft, and was working along the right lines. Judging by the art revealed, he's been dispensed with and we now have a mid-2000s-Stern-esque clip art fest with some very basic photoshop layers. New artist may well be an old master, but he or she has clearly produced this very specific look under instruction.

• The press release is full of typos and semantic errors and is very poorly written and clearly not proof read at all.

Hmm. Doesn't bode well.

#2795 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Your right, hold that judgement until you see the machine.

I'm not making a definitive conclusion. Hence the pre-amble.

But given what they have shown, it does bode less than well. Do you know what "bode" means?

#2810 7 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Received a tweaked updated press release and replaced the one I posted earlier.

They still haven't proof read it

#2812 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

No time for that now. Believe you meant to type -> They still haven't proofread it!

Indeed. The value of looking at something more than once ...

#2850 7 years ago

Amazed at how far they've gotten in so little time, having literally just started up. It appears they have a more advanced machine after 4-5 months of work than some companies have managed in 3-6 years.

Less than convinced by the art and backbox, but the mechs look good and it's absolutely rammed with features.

Very glad they got rid of the ridiculous half obscured JPop screen position as well as his game design.

#2856 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Actual Features or decorations/ plastic toys?

JPop's design was purely the latter. The Balcer design appears to be the former.

#2900 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

If I was in the business of manufacturing pinball machines I would seriously hire Bowen to help with the release ceremony. I would allow him to play a proto for a couple of days and get familiar with the layout and the rules and then watch him kill it and play the game the way it should be played in front of an audience.
I also noticed on the new Jetsons machine that there are no instruction cards. To me that looks in-complete and why would you show a new game for the first time to the public without instruction cards? ( Mabye I am missing something and they have not made cards yet because the objectives and rules are still TBD?) For the time frame that this game was put together I am very impressed. Jetsons does not impress me at all.

There's so little on the Jetsons that it can't require much explanation.

As for Houdini and other games. It would be nice.

But I think most manufacturers are very keen to avoid too much scrutiny early, or indeed at all in some cases. Lone exception being JJP, who conduct the testing and development of their machines very much in the open, once revealed.

#2912 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Retail is $6995.00, I have heard June as the target for distributors to start getting games.

That's an insanely quick turnaround, particularly for a new company.

If they can produce reliable machines with decent supply in that kind of time frame, I think some of the other new entrants will be getting nervous, or a lot more nervous than they already are. Probably Stern too, if they produce in volume.

It would completely torpedo the notion that there must be practically half a decade of development time for both individual games and platforms, and year after year of missed deadlines and empty promises. Or, if they ship with fairly complete code, that you need to wait 18 months to 2 years (if at all) for a game that's fun or challenging.

#2918 7 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

i'm not talking about smaller companies giving stern serious competition but AP.
no new companies was able to do it this fast, including the smaller ones, yes some do have nice game.

Indeed, the people behind AP are not small at all, in pinball terms. Much larger than Stern, seemingly.

It would appear that their background with electronics and engineering have paid immediate dividends.

#2928 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

All of these new companies together is serious competition for Stern, if they don't up their game they will see that 92% market share shrunk real quick. No more BS about PF issues, no more cutting down on cost with new pf manufacturers, crap decals that peel. Service pegs, on/off switch cost savings etc...etc.

There's no way they're anywhere near 92% now, anyway. Not for the last year, with JJP spitting out Hobbits and still large numbers of WOZ.

#2931 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

If you figure Stern builds 15k games a year (Jody has said they build between 55-60 games a day), then that leaves 1300 pins for everyone not stern if they are at 92%
Spooky is up to what, one a day? that's 260
Heighway is ramping up, but they are still low numbers while they complete their factory.. maybe 50/month? 600/year
JJP probably easily sells 1,000/year between Woz and hobbit many many many editions
AP is just getting into the game
Dutch barely eeked out 50 games before the factory asked for more money
P3 hasn't started shipping as far as I know
So 1910 non-stern games, divided by the total of 16910, Stern is actually more like 89% of the market and slowly dropping as more companies take a bigger slice of the pie.

JJP are definitely over 2500 per year. Probably nearer 3500. They couldn't possibly operate at 1000 units p.a. still. The losses given their staffing levels and size of production line would be catastrophic. Given that they'll have 3 machines on the line this year, I'd imagine the plan is for well over 4000 units shipped in 2017.

Stern definitely didn't build 15,000 in 2016 ... they had a complete halt at one point due to pf issues, and numerous other slowdowns. I think 10,000 would be pushing it. The reason their order book is so huge and Gary was crowing about their highest production month ever since the Sega days was precisely because they had such a bottleneck.

#2934 7 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

I mean, you don't know whether they are profitable or not. They have an angel investor. They could be burning his cash keeping the doors open. I doubt they're doing 3500 games a year. Pinball continues to be hard.

Weren't they doing 4 week runs of 200 WOZs at a time, on the newly established much smaller second line, all to order, just as Hobbit started production? People continue to order plenty of WOZ ... that should give you an idea. Haven't heard that any old Hobbit orders are still outstanding, and Jack claimed he had 1900 orders just as production began.

The investors would have to be absolutely mad if they were keeping the doors open with only 1000 games being sold at this stage.

They may already be running at 4k cadence ... I'd be shocked if it was significantly less than 3k.

#2936 7 years ago

If the factory was as slow as you guys seem to think, there's absolutely no way they'd be taking their time in refining and revising Dialed In for an extended period of play testing and protoyping.

Multiple other games in the industry are going out far more shonky than the prototype we saw at Expo.

1 month later
#3138 6 years ago

Yeah. Definitely less chrome and more brass, gunmetal and raw iron type finishes would look better.

#3154 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Wow, talk about a dark horse!
edit: man I love that backglass. I can't believe the depth of the rules, too, looking forward to playing this.

I like it too, but I think it'd look much better if they removed the fairly large logo from the left hand corner (entirely) and put a placque in the bottom centre of the speaker panel (like the Stern LE placques) with their logo. Few cents extra, but the backglass would benefit and they could embellish their brand a bit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 119.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 9.95
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 84.99
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 36.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rubberducks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jpop-game-houdini-just-announced?tu=rubberducks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.