(Topic ID: 244666)

JJPOTC Treasure Chest Open/Close mod, now working!

By pinballj

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230211_193725 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230211_193309 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230211_174738 (resized).jpg
2022-12-10 18.13.36 (resized).jpg
2022-12-03 16.39.16 (resized).jpg
2022-12-03 16.39.03 (resized).jpg
20221109_175012 (resized).jpg
20221109_190714 (resized).jpg
20221109_175033 (resized).jpg
20221109_174757 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_152356_edit_415805112164156 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151839_edit_415860847540189 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151846_edit_415835308941755 (resized).jpg
D51450B8-C097-4943-9B2C-5358436C4892 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2497 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,330 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 27.
#201 4 years ago

I've got costing going on for the parts in bulk and I'll see what kind of labor has to be put in so I can get this listed on my store and you can all start ordering. Seems like it should come together pretty quickly.

#202 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I've got costing going on for the parts in bulk and I'll see what kind of labor has to be put in so I can get this listed on my store and you can all start ordering. Seems like it should come together pretty quickly.

Sweet!

#203 4 years ago

I'll be all over it. Good to hear. Def the mod of the year if not decade if not GOAT.

#204 4 years ago

Cool. I guess this is more of a group buy. I found most of the parts in larger bulk quantities and it should save like $15 ea in part costs alone. All prime amazon to me, so really not a lot of additional cost on shipping. The 3D parts should be pretty inexpensive. I am just waiting on a few more pieces to come in to place so I can get a proper cost. I have a sample of the 3D part from pinballj coming (and the hinge) and a sample of the 3D part coming from Geteos who is doing all the printing so I can make sure they are the same and do a test fit. I'll plan on programming the arduinos and making all the connectors for a plug and play install. I have parts ordered for both install methods (it's like pennies to add both options) so you can choose.

#205 4 years ago

Cool. I guess this is more of a group buy. I found most of the parts in larger bulk quantities and it should save like $15 ea in part costs alone. All prime amazon to me, so really not a lot of additional cost on shipping. The 3D parts should be pretty inexpensive. I am just waiting on a few more pieces to come in to place so I can get a proper cost. I have a sample of the 3D part from pinballj coming (and the hinge) and a sample of the 3D part coming from Geteos who is doing all the printing so I can make sure they are the same and do a test fit. I'll plan on programming the arduinos and making all the connectors for a plug and play install. I have parts ordered for both install methods (it's like pennies to add both options) so you can choose.

Add me to the list of buyers

#206 4 years ago

Add me to the list.

#208 4 years ago

Count me in.

#209 4 years ago

All of the great mods are making a GOAT absolutely crazy. I think my LE has just about every mod available and now, here is one more 'must have'.

#210 4 years ago

Awsome

#212 4 years ago

Got one bracket done to ship to harryhoudini This is a pretty long print.

1CC53B4C-09EB-407D-8FD5-47B540ECA8E7 (resized).jpeg1CC53B4C-09EB-407D-8FD5-47B540ECA8E7 (resized).jpeg
#213 4 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

Got one bracket done to ship to harryhoudini This is a pretty long print.[quoted image]

Looks great! And yes it is a long print lol.

Good job!
There is nothing like the smell of 3d printing plastic in the morning btw.

#214 4 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

Got one bracket done to ship to harryhoudini This is a pretty long print.[quoted image]

Love the awesome team work!

#215 4 years ago

Harry I'm in 4 sure!

#216 4 years ago

Maybe we need a separate thread for it, but any updates on the linkage-based mod? This is still the route I want to go.

#217 4 years ago

Count me in!

#218 4 years ago

For those interested, it looks like shapeways.com can print the bracket in "versatile plastic" for around 50 bucks.

#219 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

For those interested, it looks like shapeways.com can print the bracket in "versatile plastic" for around 50 bucks.

If anyone wants to get just the bracket that we are printing I can list them separately too. I think it will be $5-10 cheaper than that.

#220 4 years ago

This looks great! Count me in too!

#221 4 years ago

Count me in for a servo kit!

#222 4 years ago

I'm down for this as well

#223 4 years ago

look - how many POTC did they make? 500? 1000? Whatever that number is, just make the same amount of these mods b/c it's not even a choice to get it. I would say its mandatory.

#224 4 years ago

LOL. I'm shooting for 20-30 kits to start. Should be ready to take orders soon.

#225 4 years ago

Question for this thread, since it's very chest specific. I was working on a mod to give the chest a cover so you didn't have to see all the weird internals. I debated over and over if it mattered if you see the balls. I have a solution for that.

Given the option for the actuating lid now, is anyone even interested in this kind of thing?

One option was just gold "treasure" (much like the POTC ride scene) with some sparkly jewels and such. The other was to have a beating heart in the chest. The heart would beat red, backlight illuminated. The jewels might even be backlit.

To solve the ball situation, if it was a really big deal for someone, I was looking at putting 3 tiny switches in the cover that sensed the balls and lit up 3 "chest ball" indicators within the chest cover. It's going a bit far with the effort needed, but it was a thought.

Anyhow, I'm only going to work on this if others are interested. With the open close now I am less at a push to make it but I still sort of detest the inside of the chest. I cleaned mine up with some foam strips so you can't see the difference between the mounting bracket and the chest surround but it's still weird with the balls all bunched up at the end and the little light doing it's hardest to light up the interior.

**Oh, another note... I can list my RGB chest lid lighting if anyone wants to get that with the chest. Good time to install and it can be set to any color you want.

Pic is just a shitty render of some coins... it would look more like gold treasure, I think.

Chest Filler (resized).jpgChest Filler (resized).jpg
#226 4 years ago

Question for this thread, since it's very chest specific. I was working on a mod to give the chest a cover so you didn't have to see all the weird internals. I debated over and over if it mattered if you see the balls. I have a solution for that.
Given the option for the actuating lid now, is anyone even interested in this kind of thing?
One option was just gold "treasure" (much like the POTC ride scene) with some sparkly jewels and such. The other was to have a beating heart in the chest. The heart would beat red, backlight illuminated. The jewels might even be backlit.
To solve the ball situation, if it was a really big deal for someone, I was looking at putting 3 tiny switches in the cover that sensed the balls and lit up 3 "chest ball" indicators within the chest cover. It's going a bit far with the effort needed, but it was a thought.
Anyhow, I'm only going to work on this if others are interested. With the open close now I am less at a push to make it but I still sort of detest the inside of the chest. I cleaned mine up with some foam strips so you can't see the difference between the mounting bracket and the chest surround but it's still weird with the balls all bunched up at the end and the little light doing it's hardest to light up the interior.
**Oh, another note... I can list my RGB chest lid lighting if anyone wants to get that with the chest. Good time to install and it can be set to any color you want.
Pic is just a shitty render of some coins... it would look more like gold treasure, I think.[quoted image]

The heart is the only thing that makes sense as it's part of the story and the chest "beats." Honestly, though if it opens and closes and the LED is brighter (green then red), that's probably enough.

#227 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The heart is the only thing that makes sense as it's part of the story and the chest "beats." Honestly, though if it opens and closes and the LED is brighter (green then red), that's probably enough.

Pretty much this - for me I’m just interested in the opening/closing mech and leaving the rest as is.

#228 4 years ago

Pic is just a shitty render of some coins... it would look more like gold treasure, I think.[quoted image]

Harry, there is no treasure in this chest, just the heart. As Vireland has said. You need to watch the movies.

Just finished the third last night. If u have space on the right, you can put a heart there. If you can have a red flashing light that will start when it lights as others requested, count me in!!!

Also the new plastic guard behind, maybe a small moulded plastic or at least a decal? Now that the chest closes maybe a decal would be visible.

Other places could have small piles of gold/ and or overflowing chests. Plenty of spots for those. But no gold in dead mans chest.

If it’s going to be affordable I might order it from you now!

#229 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Maybe we need a separate thread for it, but any updates on the linkage-based mod? This is still the route I want to go.

Why don’t you start another thread?

#230 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Harry, there is no treasure in this chest, just the heart. As Vireland has said. You need to watch the movies.
Just finished the third last night. If u have space on the right, you can put a heart there. If you can have a red flashing light that will start when it lights as others requested, count me in!!!
Also the new plastic guard behind, maybe a small moulded plastic or at least a decal? Now that the chest closes maybe a decal would be visible.
Other places could have small piles of gold/ and or overflowing chests. Plenty of spots for those. But no gold in dead mans chest.
If it’s going to be affordable I might order it from you now!

Yeah, don't overdo it. You have enough great ideas to work on at the moment, and we peasant folk only have so much cash at one time to help fill your orders, and keep your wife from thinking you're entirely bonkers.

#231 4 years ago

+1 great work!

#232 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Shhhhhhh.... shhhhh....

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png
#233 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

I should really watch the movies Ok, so no treasure but beating heart. Will work on that, but won't be for a bit. We have like 5 other things to kick out. The plastic replacement behind the chest is one.

#234 4 years ago

Shhhhhhh.... shhhhh....[quoted image]

A simple black cover back there might be best. If everything is embellished, nothing stands out.

#235 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

A simple black cover back there might be best. If everything is embellished, nothing stands out.

Agreed. We're going to create one with texture (wood crate) and see what it looks like but we can just remove the texture and keep it black. Hidden screws will mount where the rubber standoffs are now.

#236 4 years ago

The number of balls in the chest has nothing to do with the number of balls that are lured.
the actual status can be seen on the map.

#237 4 years ago
Quoted from Agima2000:

The number of balls in the chest has nothing to do with the number of balls that are lured.
the actual status can be seen on the map.

Right, but I could see people complaining they lost that ability. Cool, well we will figure it out and post for feedback

#238 4 years ago

@harryhoudini, what about a new lid where all of the square posts actually move, even just the front facing one's. (pull in when closed and push out when open).

#239 4 years ago

This is my fave post on PS right now. There are some truly creative geniuses here. I don’t have the game, but I will order the servo solution in case one day I do.

#240 4 years ago

I started the 3D print but unfortunately forgot to add support. 4 hours in I realized it was printing on air lol. To ad to it, I sold my 3D printer yesterday and am awaiting my new one to show up any day this week lol

#241 4 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

harryhoudini, what about a new lid where all of the square posts actually move, even just the front facing one's. (pull in when closed and push out when open).

Square posts?

#242 4 years ago

If I remember from those movies (again!), I think parts of the chest turn and move as it opens and closing. I believe this may be beyond even your genius Harry.

#243 4 years ago

Meh, too much work for not enough return in terms of visual interest.

On another note, since everyone is champing at the bit here is the kit to order. Huge disclaimer, I don't have any parts in hand yet and I haven't done the mod. This is best guess pricing based on all of the parts on the materials list, 3D printed bracket and the time to assemble it all. It will definitely take at least 2-3 weeks to start shipping.

https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/jpinballs-actuated-chest-mod-jersey-jack-pinball-pirates-of-the-caribbean

Added over 4 years ago:

Meh, too much work for not enough return in terms of visual interest.

On another note, since everyone is champing at the bit here is the kit to order. Huge disclaimer, I don't have any parts in hand yet and I haven't done the mod. This is best guess pricing based on all of the parts on the materials list, 3D printed bracket and the time to assemble it all. It will definitely take at least 2-3 weeks to start shipping.

https://pinballmods.co/PinballJs-actuated-chest-mod-JJP-POTC

#244 4 years ago

I should have the parts to start on this mod later today. I'll let y'all know how it goes. FYI, that bracket print with 60% fill medium speed and .2 layer height with a .4 nozzle is about 7 hours. The required supports really slow it down, but what are you gonna do?

First tip:
Lowes has the hinges noted already in black/dark brown:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gatehouse-2-Pack-1-1-2-in-X-1-1-4-in-Oil-Rubbed-Bronze-Surface-Broad-Cabinet-Hinge/1000141901

Second tip:
The recommended Arduino boards on Amazon are not actual Nanos, but crappy Chinese knockoffs (which is why you're getting 3 for $12). Two things you need to know - first, these require a different Serial to USB driver than the real Arduinos. They want you to get it from a russian site, but I wasn't cool with that so I found it elsewhere. Second, you have to select the processor with "(Old Bootloader)" next to it. If you just select the processor without the OLD version, it just won't work. You want to upload simply, NOT upload with programmer.

#245 4 years ago

https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/jpinballs-actuated-chest-mod-jersey-jack-pinball-pirates-of-the-caribbean

Ordered!

#246 4 years ago

ordered as well. Lets do this

#247 4 years ago

ordered!

thanks

#248 4 years ago

Ordered! It looks like a great mod.Thanks for all your hard work putting this together

#249 4 years ago

Me too! Will this craziness ever end???

#250 4 years ago

Order in! No brainer....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 38.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,330 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 27.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-treasure-chest-open-and-close/page/5?hl=bmegar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.