(Topic ID: 244666)

JJPOTC Treasure Chest Open/Close mod, now working!

By pinballj

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230211_193725 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230211_193309 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230211_174738 (resized).jpg
2022-12-10 18.13.36 (resized).jpg
2022-12-03 16.39.16 (resized).jpg
2022-12-03 16.39.03 (resized).jpg
20221109_175012 (resized).jpg
20221109_190714 (resized).jpg
20221109_175033 (resized).jpg
20221109_174757 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_152356_edit_415805112164156 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151839_edit_415860847540189 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151846_edit_415835308941755 (resized).jpg
D51450B8-C097-4943-9B2C-5358436C4892 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2497 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7 Working prototype video Posted by pinballj (4 years ago)

Post #185 Everything needed to make your own chest-opening mod... Posted by pinballj (4 years ago)

Post #615 Code for lighting mod controller Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Post #925 Adjusting switch for mod when chest lid doesn't work Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 1,330 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 27.
#1 4 years ago

I am working on a mod for opening and closing the treasure chest on JJPOTC that I thought I would share my progress on!

I got a prototype working this evening, but it is a REAL prototype (it will break in about 10 more tries lol), as I did a fast print with the 3d printer for sizing and proof of concept.

Here it is in action:

Now it may not look like much movement, because there is not right now. I need to make a slightly longer linkage (it is on order), and I need to make a new bracket for the chest lid. This mod is completely reversible too (no additional drilling, etc reqd).

Similar to how the prototype JJPOTC machines worked, the chest lid is closed when the fork ramp is down. When the fork ramp is raised, the chest lid will slowly open (adjustable in software of course).

The two pictures without the 3d printed bracket I included to show the fork mech screw holes that I plan to use to mount the bracket, as well as the existing slot through the playfield that nothing goes through (maybe that is where the original mech linkage was located at?).

I will do my best to keep progress documented here, but source and design will be available here too:
https://github.com/jfleitz/jjpotc-chest

Rough cost estimate in parts about $25. I am hoping on having this done in the next couple of weeks to where I will make a second one and see if Antz at Zanzabar will let me try it on his CE on location.

I have no clue if this will cause additional ball rejects, but I wouldn't think it would. If it did, I can always adjust the "close height" so that it doesn't close all of the way.
mounted-on-fork1 (resized).jpgmounted-on-fork1 (resized).jpgmounted-on-fork2 (resized).jpgmounted-on-fork2 (resized).jpgpf-slot (resized).jpgpf-slot (resized).jpgproto1 (resized).jpgproto1 (resized).jpgproto2 (resized).jpgproto2 (resized).jpgscrew-holes (resized).jpgscrew-holes (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

Good job. I new it could be done.

#3 4 years ago

Wow...awesome

I will want one!

#4 4 years ago

Glad you're working on this!

#5 4 years ago

Cool, favorited the thread and look forward to updates.

#6 4 years ago

Love it

#7 4 years ago

The treasure chest now fully opens and closes now!

From the Proof of Concept, I had to make the following changes:
1. Change the 3d printed bracket for mounting the micro switch in an angle (similar to the microswitch that already exists toward the playfield)
2. Make a new metal bracket to replace the "fixed position lid bracket".
3. Using a m3 threaded end rod for the servo linkage.
4. Adjusted the open angle in software
5. 3d printed a new cover for the solenoid gate behind the treasure chest to make room for the hinge

I am going to test this a bit (finally have the game back together! I have been having JJPOTC withdrawls lol), before updating the instructions and BOM for building this.

-Jeremy

#8 4 years ago

Very nice!

You planning on selling kits?

#9 4 years ago

I'm in, if you ever make a run of sets for sale please count me in.
Great great work!!! This one blew me away, great job - again.

Cheers !

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Very nice!
You planning on selling kits?

I was thinking about it, but it will need a lot of testing. It isn't too bad to install except for taking the top of the chest off, and then putting it back on with the hinge.

However, just playing a few games...it is pretty cool with the "chest opening sound playing while the lid opens"

For testing, I talked with the owner of Zanzabar (Antz) who has a CE on location, and he is all in for letting me install it for heavy testing.

I am definitely not in this for money, so the bill of materials, where I bought each part, and the stl files for the 3d printed parts will be published after testing.

#12 4 years ago

Followed! Nice work!!

#13 4 years ago

Wow great job! I’m excited for this.

#14 4 years ago

Super cool, nice work!

#15 4 years ago

Awesome sauce Jeremy!

#16 4 years ago

Very cool. I think just about every JJPPOTC owner would be up for getting this installed on their games.

#17 4 years ago

Fantastic! Very much looking forward to this.

#18 4 years ago

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how the original chest mech worked? If it could somehow inherit it's motion from the chest fork, rather than run on its own motor, I think it would be cool.

The chest fork mech motion has a bit of "attitude" to it, in how it goes up slightly before it slams down.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how the original chest mech worked? If it could somehow inherit it's motion from the chest fork, rather than run on its own motor, I think it would be cool.
The chest fork mech motion has a bit of "attitude" to it, in how it goes up slightly before it slams down.

I think it was directly linked somehow to the fork mech. If you watch the earlier twitch streams when it was there, the motion of it opening was fast and closing fast. I thought about going down that path myself, but thought if after all of the testing JJP decided it was causing ball rejects, maybe the fork was not lifting all of the way all of the time... to just use a separate motor.

But I guess to answer your question, I honestly don't know LOL.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

I think it was directly linked somehow to the fork mech. If you watch the earlier twitch streams when it was there, the motion of it opening was fast and closing fast. I thought about going down that path myself, but thought if after all of the testing JJP decided it was causing ball rejects, maybe the fork was not lifting all of the way all of the time... to just use a separate motor.
But I guess to answer your question, I honestly don't know LOL.

You know, for the longest time chest shot rejects were caused by the fork mech getting loose. It would be a shame if the opening chest was junked without being the actual cause.

#21 4 years ago

Love this. Fantastic mod!

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

You know, for the longest time chest shot rejects were caused by the fork mech getting loose. It would be a shame if the opening chest was junked without being the actual cause.

Well that is an excellent point. Now I kinda want to go back to the drawing board and make a simpler mod

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

Well that is an excellent point. Now I kinda want to go back to the drawing board and make a simpler mod

Well think of it this way, we have one solution that definitely works. Maybe there's another that also works without needing a servo, switch etc! I would be really interested to see the original mech...

#24 4 years ago

I want one!

#25 4 years ago

Great work!! If you sell I'm in!

#26 4 years ago

Yeah I think I will have to get one of these. Two thumbs up!

#27 4 years ago

I hope you decide to make some kits and sell!

I want one, price it so it’s worth your time.

#28 4 years ago

Awsome sure hope you make some kits

#29 4 years ago

Looks good. Interested.

#30 4 years ago

money....take it.

#31 4 years ago

Great Mod!

If you decide to sell Kits i will be in for sure.

#32 4 years ago

AWESOME!! YES PLEASE!

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

The treasure chest now fully opens and closes now!
From the Proof of Concept, I had to make the following changes:
1. Change the 3d printed bracket for mounting the micro switch in an angle (similar to the microswitch that already exists toward the playfield)
2. Make a new metal bracket to replace the "fixed position lid bracket".
3. Using a m3 threaded end rod for the servo linkage.
4. Adjusted the open angle in software
5. 3d printed a new cover for the solenoid gate behind the treasure chest to make room for the hinge

I am going to test this a bit (finally have the game back together! I have been having JJPOTC withdrawls lol), before updating the instructions and BOM for building this.
-Jeremy

IM IN!!

#34 4 years ago

my prayers have been answered! Yes please!!!

#35 4 years ago

Looks great. This will be a must-have mod.

#36 4 years ago

Put me down for two when its ready.
Thanks for making this happen. So cool.

#37 4 years ago

I’m in as well if you sell them. Very cool!

#38 4 years ago

Amazing!

Hopefully you can sell these... It seems almost unfair to make pirates even better.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Amazing!
Hopefully you can sell these... It seems almost unfair to make pirates even better.

The sooner the better so we can all test them for JJP for the next 6 months in the real world and Eric can get his open/closing chest on the LE re-run once it's proven durable and JJP makes a deal with Pinballj for solving their engineering puzzle.

#40 4 years ago

WoW! Great engineering here, cant wait for you to get these out as a mod or print file.

#41 4 years ago

Very cool!

#42 4 years ago

One for me please!

#43 4 years ago

That is a dream mod, please go forward with it and make it happen. I am in for sure.

#44 4 years ago

When I lock a ball can it go up and down like the cookie monster?

No; like Trex in JP

#45 4 years ago

I'm in. Got to be worth you making these given the interest.

#46 4 years ago

I want one and dont even own a pirates.

#47 4 years ago

Everyone. The OP says he does not want to make it for you and sell it. He says he will give instructions a material list and the 3D stl files. So stop all saying that you want to buy it from him (unless he changes his mind)

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Everyone. The OP says he does not want to make it for you and sell it. He says he will give instructions a material list and the 3D stl files. So stop all saying that you want to buy it from him (unless he changes his mind)

I definitely want to buy one. I'm in.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I definitely want to buy one. I'm in.

Made me laugh!

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Made me laugh!

Haha I get your point though. Hopefully OP changes mind or someone takes these like mod couple and sell them

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
There are 1,330 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 27.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-treasure-chest-open-and-close and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.