(Topic ID: 244666)

JJPOTC Treasure Chest Open/Close mod, now working!

By pinballj

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230211_193725 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230211_193309 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230211_174738 (resized).jpg
2022-12-10 18.13.36 (resized).jpg
2022-12-03 16.39.16 (resized).jpg
2022-12-03 16.39.03 (resized).jpg
20221109_175012 (resized).jpg
20221109_190714 (resized).jpg
20221109_175033 (resized).jpg
20221109_174757 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_152356_edit_415805112164156 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151839_edit_415860847540189 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151846_edit_415835308941755 (resized).jpg
D51450B8-C097-4943-9B2C-5358436C4892 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2497 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,330 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 27.
#151 4 years ago

This is great is this easy enough for a average person to do?

#152 4 years ago

Absolutely amazing. I have a 3D printer if needed

#153 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

I still need to do the final writeup, but here is a video of the final testing of the servo actuated open/close:

I apologize for the bad audio/video, but I couldn't find my USB audio in adapter. I had an ok game considering there was a mic stand with a phone in front of my face lol.

I can not wait for you to release the info for what’s needed. I’ll be all over this!

#154 4 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

This is great is this easy enough for a average person to do?

^^^^^

#155 4 years ago

It is not too bad.
For the DIY:
It takes you longer to cut the metal plate and 3d print the bracket.
Soldering is not too bad.. just 7 connections to solder (3 for servo, 2 for switch, 2 for power).
The rest is wire ties and screws.
Final bracket, plate pattern and source for the arduino will be uploaded and link will be provided in this thread.

For the kit:
harryhoudini is going to make up a kit that is available. Of course the kit needs to be made first, but I would think a person comfortable already with installing a mod in some capacity could handle this in half an hour or so.

#156 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

I still need to do the final writeup, but here is a video of the final testing of the servo actuated open/close:

I apologize for the bad audio/video, but I couldn't find my USB audio in adapter. I had an ok game considering there was a mic stand with a phone in front of my face lol.

Fantastic work. Can't wait to get this installed!

#157 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

It is not too bad.
For the DIY:
Soldering is not too bad.. just 7 connections to solder (3 for servo, 2 for switch, 2 for power).
Final bracket, plate pattern and source for the arduino will be uploaded and link will be provided in this thread.
For the kit:
harryhoudini is going to make up a kit that is available. Of course the kit needs to be made first, but I would think a person comfortable already with installing a mod in some capacity could handle this in half an hour or so.

Awesome video! The chest works flawlessly!

#158 4 years ago

Awsome thanks.

#159 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

Love how the chest sound effect (creaking when it opens and closes) aligns almost perfectly with the actual chest movement.

#160 4 years ago

Nice video. For bonus points, can anyone point out what the star map is showing during any point in the game? I'd really be interested to see what I should be looking for.

#161 4 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Love how the chest sound effect (creaking when it opens and closes) aligns almost perfectly with the actual chest movement.

Yeah I messed with the speed of the servo to get it to match as close as I could. My brother advised me to make sure the next video showed the animation on the screen at the same time

#162 4 years ago

I don't own a Pirates (hopefully someday), but this whole thread is a great example of good things happening by dedicated people and constructive input... thanks to you all...

#163 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Nice video. For bonus points, can anyone point out what the star map is showing during any point in the game? I'd really be interested to see what I should be looking for.

The star map indicates the next shot required to be hit in the sequence of shots (10 shots initially) required to earn an extra ball. You will see the book open up on the screen everytime the next required shot has been hit. The symbol displayed in the book ( 2X, 5X, ship, etc) is what you would been required to have recognized among the stars on the star map.

While an interesting feature, I find myself never paying attention to the star map as 1) I need to focus on too many other things and 2) I find that I end up hitting the star map shots in the course of normal gameplay.

Hope this helps.

#164 4 years ago

What book?

#165 4 years ago

The book on the screen that opens up when you hit the star-map shot by complete fluke. It shows in retrospect what you hit and the symbol that you didn't see on the star-map before you did it.

#166 4 years ago

Respectfully asking to keep this thread focused on the awesome chest mod and not on game play strategy. Thanks!

#167 4 years ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

The book on the screen that opens up when you hit the star-map shot by complete fluke. It shows in retrospect what you hit and the symbol that you didn't see on the star-map before you did it.

Ah. I must not take my eyes off the playfield enough.

Psyched for this mod! Money is waiting.

#168 4 years ago

Pinballj - awesome work! Thanks for doing this. Is the .stl on GitHub current or are you using an updated bracket?

#169 4 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Pinballj - awesome work! Thanks for doing this. Is the .stl on GitHub current or are you using an updated bracket?

Sorry, I need to upload the latest. Will do that tonight, and will make sure the latest source code is up there too.

#170 4 years ago

Money ready for this must have Mod

#171 4 years ago
Quoted from moTiv8:

Money ready for this must have Mod

Same here. I am putting off ordering some other mods to see where this one ends up budget wise and saving on shipping would be nice.

#172 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

It is not too bad.
For the DIY:
For the kit:

Idea/question: If I remember right (and it's possible I don't) there was already an EOS switch on the fork mech. Maybe it's possible to tap that instead of adding a second switch?

#173 4 years ago

Add me to the interested buyer list!

#174 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

Amazing! Can't wait to order the kit. This is the ultimate Pirates mod.

#175 4 years ago
eFfmdb3 (resized).jpgeFfmdb3 (resized).jpg
#176 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

It is not too bad.
For the DIY:
For the kit:

Hmm. So for me for installing the kit, 3 hours.

Everyone in this thread has done some amazing work..! JJPOTC...the only game that gets even BETTER post release! Definitely interested in a kit from Harry and you both!

Once this is completed, are you guys up for modding the map as well? (Half joking.)

#177 4 years ago

buying a 3D printer just for this, that's how bad i need this in my game.

#178 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Idea/question: If I remember right (and it's possible I don't) there was already an EOS switch on the fork mech. Maybe it's possible to tap that instead of adding a second switch?

I thought about that, but really wanted to keep this completely isolated from the game itself. Just to avoid any interference with the playfield switch matrix etc. Definitely doable though using two inputs on the arduino to trigger when: strobe is low to the switch and the output of the switch is low. That would require connecting (soldering?) Into the existing switch though.

#179 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

I thought about that, but really wanted to keep this completely isolated from the game itself. Just to avoid any interference with the playfield switch matrix etc. Definitely doable though using two inputs on the arduino to trigger when: strobe is low to the switch and the output of the switch is low. That would require connecting (soldering?) Into the existing switch though.

I agree with you. Keep it isolated from the game itself.

#180 4 years ago

Let us know if you need some pre-orders to raise capital for parts. I’d be happy to do that on this one.

#181 4 years ago

Also in for a pre-order

#182 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I agree with you. Keep it isolated from the game itself.

Agreed. I tried to not tamper with any existing game original composition. If I add on a switch, it's unrelated to the original and independently removable. Anything is basically plug and play.

#183 4 years ago

After this mod more people will be choosing Bootstrap Bill!

#184 4 years ago

Others have said it, but I'll echo the sentiment. THIS. IS. AWESOME.

Looking forward to commercial availability!

#185 4 years ago

So I got almost everything documented now for anyone wanting to tackle this. I am printing out a bracket and making a plate to send to harryhoudini so that he can make some kits up for people wanting to go that route too.

Here is a link to the bracket on thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3719361
I have everything in a GitHub repo here: https://github.com/jfleitz/jjpotc-chest

If you don't want to read the readme though, the Bill of Materials list is here: https://github.com/jfleitz/jjpotc-chest/blob/master/materials.md

I need to get the final plate sketched up and uploaded, but that should be all that is left for documentation purposes.
Oh also, the latest source has been uploaded to the github repo too (it was just the close angle that I adjusted).

Good luck to everyone trying this! I am confident harryhoudini will make a good kit too, once all parts are acquired etc.

-Jeremy

Oh, and pardon my grammar in the write-ups... I haven't really proofread anything yet lol.

#186 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

So I got almost everything documented now for anyone wanting to tackle this. I am printing out a bracket and making a plate to send to harryhoudini so that he can make some kits up for people wanting to go that route too.
Here is a link to the bracket on thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3719361
I have everything in a GitHub repo here: https://github.com/jfleitz/jjpotc-chest
If you don't want to read the readme though, the Bill of Materials list is here: https://github.com/jfleitz/jjpotc-chest/blob/master/materials.md
I need to get the final plate sketched up and uploaded, but that should be all that is left for documentation purposes.
Oh also, the latest source has been uploaded to the github repo too (it was just the close angle that I adjusted).
Good luck to everyone trying this! I am confident harryhoudini will make a good kit too, once all parts are acquired etc.
-Jeremy
Oh, and pardon my grammar in the write-ups... I haven't really proofread anything yet lol.

Thanks Jeremy for all the work you've done this mod!

#187 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

-Jeremy

Hi Jeremy. Had a quick read. Really looking forward to this. Quick question. Is it possible for the fork and chest to get out of sync? Just wondering if the switch acts as a toggle whether it could happen. Thanks!

#188 4 years ago

Printing the bracket!

364E5E97-FEF6-4837-87CE-353A138A981E (resized).jpeg364E5E97-FEF6-4837-87CE-353A138A981E (resized).jpeg
#189 4 years ago

I’m confused, Do we have to print the bracket ourselves or is this bracket sold at thingiverse?

#190 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

-Jeremy

Thanks so much! Really looking forward to this!

Do you recommend PLA, ABS, or something like Nylon for the bracket material? Is there a lot of stress on it?

#191 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I’m confused, Do we have to print the bracket ourselves or is this bracket sold at thingiverse?

Thingeverse is a source for 3D files you can print yourself. He supplied the file for those who can print the bracket

#192 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I don't know where you live, but lots of libraries have 3D printers now and you can print one there if your library has them. Also check your town for services that offer 3D prints.

#193 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't know where you live, but lots of libraries have 3D printers now and you can print one there if your library has them. Also check your town for services that offer 3D prints.

No shit???

I thought it was crazy to rent video games and digital books, but 3D printing also?!?!? How amazing!

#194 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

No shit???
I thought it was crazy to rent video games and digital books, but 3D printing also?!?!? How amazing!

The progressive ones have realized that recreational book reading isn't coming back on a large scale, and google killed the need for research repositories in each city, so they've branched out. Even our backwoods town library has 3D printers (they're not GREAT but they're good enough).

#195 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Cool!!! Thanks!

#196 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Hi Jeremy. Had a quick read. Really looking forward to this. Quick question. Is it possible for the fork and chest to get out of sync? Just wondering if the switch acts as a toggle whether it could happen. Thanks!

I don't think it could unless the switch is out of adjustment. Basically if the switch is closed, the chest lid is closed. That is when the fork mech is completely retracted.

Any other position (fork mech raising, fork mech all the way open etc), the chest lid is opened since the micro switch would be open

#197 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Thanks so much! Really looking forward to this!
Do you recommend PLA, ABS, or something like Nylon for the bracket material? Is there a lot of stress on it?

I am still a noob at 3d printing, but thought ABS made the most sense myself, since it is durable and easy to use. Nylon would be a great choice but my extruders don't support it

#198 4 years ago

I’m waiting for a kit

#199 4 years ago

I'll be sending harryhoudini a bracket printed in PLA to test out in the kit he is building.

I've had pretty good luck with PLA in most applications as long as there is no high temps (over 50C). Will just set the infill @ 50% to help add some strength.

Also just loaded the part into my slicer, it looks bigger than I thought lol, going to be a long print...

#200 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

I don't think it could unless the switch is out of adjustment. Basically if the switch is closed, the chest lid is closed. That is when the fork mech is completely retracted.
Any other position (fork mech raising, fork mech all the way open etc), the chest lid is opened since the micro switch would be open

Thanks! Good to know. I like fool proof, being a fool and all....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 38.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
There are 1,330 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 27.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-treasure-chest-open-and-close/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.