(Topic ID: 244666)

JJPOTC Treasure Chest Open/Close mod, now working!

By pinballj

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 1,093 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by harryhoudini
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 155 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

AB9689CC-3E86-4BB8-B6E2-5DBF56051599 (resized).jpeg
D53B4D19-804C-4B88-9B81-113673AD8017 (resized).jpeg
E04A8370-E614-4E7F-8B6D-9403DC65F1FD (resized).jpeg
3121975F-7923-4EE1-9684-2979549F239B (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Cheat Heartbeat-min.gif
Lid-Bracket (resized).jpg
1FE2A9BF-5D88-4ECD-AD42-87C4602EC681 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
AC1ECC09-D487-4768-BEE6-91B577172798 (resized).jpeg
AACE8A99-8237-4F7C-BF48-2ADE8B1E54EF (resized).jpeg
8E1496FC-8D2B-455A-8DE6-48C38BDE210B (resized).png
0438BDDE-11B1-4237-9616-5A01D5228894 (resized).png
6E683879-C722-454D-8BE4-06CB1E5035CF (resized).jpeg
20190930_143532 (resized).jpg
barrel-nut (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #7 Working prototype video Posted by pinballj (4 months ago)

Post #185 Everything needed to make your own chest-opening mod... Posted by pinballj (3 months ago)

Post #615 Code for lighting mod controller Posted by harryhoudini (62 days ago)

Post #925 Adjusting switch for mod when chest lid doesn't work Posted by harryhoudini (32 days ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tgrinchy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#96 3 months ago

Excited about both of these options and great job guys!! Leaning servo personally for softer action. It's too bad we don't have the root reason why the mech was abandoned else I may be more inclined to go the simpler route; would be afraid of just re-creating the original problem.

#113 3 months ago

I’m so excited to see this come to fruition that I’ll likely buy both just because I like to have options!!

Ya’ll are doing great work, thank you!!

1 week later
#220 3 months ago

This looks great! Count me in too!

#227 3 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

The heart is the only thing that makes sense as it's part of the story and the chest "beats." Honestly, though if it opens and closes and the LED is brighter (green then red), that's probably enough.

Pretty much this - for me I’m just interested in the opening/closing mech and leaving the rest as is.

#252 3 months ago

Also ordered!! Looking forward to it!!

#312 3 months ago
Quoted from dts:

Harry, any chance you could print Vic’s nano enclosure for those of us with ocd?

Curious on this as well

#324 3 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

The nano box is done, I'm just fine-tuning the main bracket. Wire-management for the servo is done and great, but the channel for the switch wires is too small. Once I adjust that the main bracket will be ready to go. I also tightened up the servo cutout on the main bracket since the original was too wide. I have a super-OCD nano box with a junction box, but no idea how long that will take (and let's be honest, that's overkill, but I am ill), so I'm just going to give you the revised bracket and nano box STLs as soon as I get the switch wiring channel fixed.
Here's where it's at before adjusting the switch wire channel. Note that this is still a very low-res print so the plastic's a little rough:
[quoted image]
The servo leads would be cut and routed into the nano box, or you'd have a connector coming out of the nano box and connect the servo to that. The servo lead can probably be shortened to a custom length by opening the 4 screws on the servo and shortening the wire from that end, but I haven't tried that (yet). I will have to for my super-OCD version, though.

Looks great!!

1 week later
#446 3 months ago

If printing the top plate, would it make sense to add some more support to the small linkage “tab” at the end?

Seems like it may bend over time? Maybe not though...

3 weeks later
#542 70 days ago

Looks great! Lexan lid looks really nice too. Do those lid screws need washers? The heads seemed a little small around those slots but could just be the angle.

1 week later
#623 61 days ago

Received my order today! Ran into my first issue though - the servo slid right out of the mounting holes on the bracket. Looks like the holes got stripped when installed or the holes on the bracket are just a tad too large for the screws to bite properly. Anyone who received theirs have this issue?

#632 61 days ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Bah! I don't think they are stripped, I think the hole was too big. I thought we caught all of them, sorry. Just toss a larger screw in, if you need them I'll toss some in the mail tomorrow.

What size screw do I need to use?

#644 61 days ago

#4 1/2 is what is in there, I think. So something bigger. Doesn't matter as long as it fits the hole and holds the servo. I can check, still in bed.

Ended up using #6 3/4 screws.

Got the whole thing installed - took me a good 45min including aligning the lid which took the longest. I used the alternate rod config for my install.

Still testing and messing with how much I want things to open. So far looks great! Due to the angle of the chest, it’s easy to see the lid mech but not much one can do there. Putting back on the coil shield made it pretty tight but shouldn’t be an issue.

#649 61 days ago

So I'm a few games in - not only is this mod awesome, but it makes me play better as well; I topped my grand champion score as soon as I installed it!

I noticed some "chatter" from the servo - for example, when the lid is open, it'll periodically adjust itself up/down a bid so the chest lid appears to shake a bit every so often. I believe Vireland had noticed this or something similar with the servo attempting to keep the correct position - which pinballj corrected in code a bit later. Scott - did this ship with the latest code update? Wasn't sure if this was the same thing but just running prior code.

#699 58 days ago

Here are the updating instructions for the Arduino controller. Aside from a laptop you need a mini USB cable. I linked to one on amazon, if you have an old one it should work but I had trouble with really old ones.
https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/jpinballs-actuated-chest-mod-update-instructions
Someone let me know if they have done this and tried the new code. If I left anything out, anything is unclear. Thanks!

I tried the new code and the chest is reversed now - prior version had orientation correct; now it's open when forks down instead of closed.

FYI I uploaded the 1.0 code and the orientation is correct again.

Scott - was the orientation change in 1.1 intentional or a mistake?

#702 58 days ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Can the code be updated before the mod is installed or does it require power from the pirates?

It can be updated without being installed; it'll receiver power over usb.

#708 58 days ago

Yep I figured that was the case here - my servo came with the rod attachment around the 3 position so that’s what I've been working with. I have no issue swapping to the 9 o’clock position but wasn’t sure which side was the “standard” in this case; now we know

I’ll swap to 9 and go from there, thanks!

#714 58 days ago

HA... I just changed the code. The 1.1 version (you're probably the only person who has the old version) has the direction the same as the v1. That way there is no confusion... err, no further confusion

LOL - so I moved to 9 o’clock and seems fine. Are you saying 3 o’clock is the way to go with a new code update on 1.1?

4 weeks later
#959 29 days ago

Gold = treasure/loot, that was one of the ideas.
Row boat would be as big as the chest but only about the top half of the boat.
I don't think an out of proportion beach scene would look out of place, it would be more like forced perspective (think cinderella castle in disneyland).
Working on some options, we'll see what looks good. I'm partial to the loot option but I'll likely print at least the row boat to see what it looks like.
If less is more, a black box would be the ideal one. Hardly visible, no lights really shine on it. I think we'll offer the box as a base and then a topper of your choosing.

Thinking outloud, could we somehow leverage the up/down actuation of the rod that controls the lid for another mod?

For example, when the lid closes, a chest key could raise up at the same time since it has an upward motion anyways? Might not be feasible, just an idea I had.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 43.00
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, VIC
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 2.50
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tgrinchy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside