(Topic ID: 244666)

JJPOTC Treasure Chest Open/Close mod, now working!

By pinballj

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230211_193725 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230211_193309 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230211_174738 (resized).jpg
2022-12-10 18.13.36 (resized).jpg
2022-12-03 16.39.16 (resized).jpg
2022-12-03 16.39.03 (resized).jpg
20221109_175012 (resized).jpg
20221109_190714 (resized).jpg
20221109_175033 (resized).jpg
20221109_174757 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_152356_edit_415805112164156 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151839_edit_415860847540189 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151846_edit_415835308941755 (resized).jpg
D51450B8-C097-4943-9B2C-5358436C4892 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2497 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7 Working prototype video Posted by pinballj (4 years ago)

Post #185 Everything needed to make your own chest-opening mod... Posted by pinballj (4 years ago)

Post #615 Code for lighting mod controller Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Post #925 Adjusting switch for mod when chest lid doesn't work Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I am working on a mod for opening and closing the treasure chest on JJPOTC that I thought I would share my progress on!

I got a prototype working this evening, but it is a REAL prototype (it will break in about 10 more tries lol), as I did a fast print with the 3d printer for sizing and proof of concept.

Here it is in action:

Now it may not look like much movement, because there is not right now. I need to make a slightly longer linkage (it is on order), and I need to make a new bracket for the chest lid. This mod is completely reversible too (no additional drilling, etc reqd).

Similar to how the prototype JJPOTC machines worked, the chest lid is closed when the fork ramp is down. When the fork ramp is raised, the chest lid will slowly open (adjustable in software of course).

The two pictures without the 3d printed bracket I included to show the fork mech screw holes that I plan to use to mount the bracket, as well as the existing slot through the playfield that nothing goes through (maybe that is where the original mech linkage was located at?).

I will do my best to keep progress documented here, but source and design will be available here too:
https://github.com/jfleitz/jjpotc-chest

Rough cost estimate in parts about $25. I am hoping on having this done in the next couple of weeks to where I will make a second one and see if Antz at Zanzabar will let me try it on his CE on location.

I have no clue if this will cause additional ball rejects, but I wouldn't think it would. If it did, I can always adjust the "close height" so that it doesn't close all of the way.
mounted-on-fork1 (resized).jpgmounted-on-fork1 (resized).jpgmounted-on-fork2 (resized).jpgmounted-on-fork2 (resized).jpgpf-slot (resized).jpgpf-slot (resized).jpgproto1 (resized).jpgproto1 (resized).jpgproto2 (resized).jpgproto2 (resized).jpgscrew-holes (resized).jpgscrew-holes (resized).jpg

1 week later
#7 4 years ago

The treasure chest now fully opens and closes now!

From the Proof of Concept, I had to make the following changes:
1. Change the 3d printed bracket for mounting the micro switch in an angle (similar to the microswitch that already exists toward the playfield)
2. Make a new metal bracket to replace the "fixed position lid bracket".
3. Using a m3 threaded end rod for the servo linkage.
4. Adjusted the open angle in software
5. 3d printed a new cover for the solenoid gate behind the treasure chest to make room for the hinge

I am going to test this a bit (finally have the game back together! I have been having JJPOTC withdrawls lol), before updating the instructions and BOM for building this.

-Jeremy

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Very nice!
You planning on selling kits?

I was thinking about it, but it will need a lot of testing. It isn't too bad to install except for taking the top of the chest off, and then putting it back on with the hinge.

However, just playing a few games...it is pretty cool with the "chest opening sound playing while the lid opens"

For testing, I talked with the owner of Zanzabar (Antz) who has a CE on location, and he is all in for letting me install it for heavy testing.

I am definitely not in this for money, so the bill of materials, where I bought each part, and the stl files for the 3d printed parts will be published after testing.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how the original chest mech worked? If it could somehow inherit it's motion from the chest fork, rather than run on its own motor, I think it would be cool.
The chest fork mech motion has a bit of "attitude" to it, in how it goes up slightly before it slams down.

I think it was directly linked somehow to the fork mech. If you watch the earlier twitch streams when it was there, the motion of it opening was fast and closing fast. I thought about going down that path myself, but thought if after all of the testing JJP decided it was causing ball rejects, maybe the fork was not lifting all of the way all of the time... to just use a separate motor.

But I guess to answer your question, I honestly don't know LOL.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

You know, for the longest time chest shot rejects were caused by the fork mech getting loose. It would be a shame if the opening chest was junked without being the actual cause.

Well that is an excellent point. Now I kinda want to go back to the drawing board and make a simpler mod

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It looks like the parts list to make this happen are:
- Hinge
- L bracket to connect hinge to linkage
- Linkage down through the playfield slot
- Metal linkage to use as "seesaw" hooked to the fork mech, 2 holes 1 slot
- Basic lock nuts, nylon washers, spacers etc.
Unknowns at this point:
- Exact sizes/specs on the parts in question
- Are these customs, or can they be found in the wild somehow
EDIT: Maybe this will work? It claims to have holes -and- slots. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-0-094-ft-x-1-375-in-Plated-Steel-Slotted-Metal-Flat-Bar/3059253

Just fyi the hinge I used is this one:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gatehouse-1-1-2-in-Zinc-Mortise-Door-Hinge-2-Pack/50041808

The holes on the hinge line up perfectly with the threaded posts that stick out of the back of the chest bottom.

I had to make a new metal plate for the actual chest top though. You could probably bend the metal bracket that comes in the game, but I wanted to go back to the original config , if I ever needed to.

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Maybe I'm slow.. or missing something... but OP used a servo, right?
And the concept is that the original method to do this was going to be using the same lifting mechanism as the forks but was never implemented? I would ponder why it was scrapped? Is it just cost for parts or I am wondering if the forks will not have enough power to lift the lid or quickly enough? Otherwise that seems like a quick and easy solution.

I thought it was removed do to inconsistent ball locking , but no clue if that was due to the fork mech not raising or something else. I did the servo method to have something completely separate "powering" the lid. Worst case if there were rejects with the servo, you can just simply unplug it and turn the servo to the location you want the lid to be at in a fixed position

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

After seeing the proto pictures , I set out today to see it active in a fully mechanical form.
It works ,( I have a video but no clue how to upload it here) although its quite a violent action& jerk on the whole metal chest bracket . Fitting some rubbers will help but I can guess that stress fatigue on the brackets is the cause of ditching the function for production models.
Oh and a shame my lid came so warped from the factory
Kudo’s to the op for the servo idea, probably the best way.

Good job though on getting this working!!

I must say I like this too for the simplicity, but I like the open/close to be less drastic and slower (creepier?). I actually slowed down the servo a bit when it opens, and made it close a little faster on purpose.

Just a quick update on the servo version:
Testing over the weekend (Father's day) went great. The chest never locked up, it open a closed when you expected, no ball rejects, etc.
There is one minor change I am doing to the bracket (moving the micro switch just a little bit) and I think I can call that part finalized, which then I will get that uploaded.
I found a place that can make the metal brackets, and I am just waiting for a quote on what that will cost.

I will upload the plans, Bill of Materials, and a link to the source again when all is done.
Kit-wise: It will prob be a week or so before knowing what this will all cost. I will do a call-to-order when I have all of the info to share.

Last but not least, the spot right behind the treasure chest where I made a temporary cover in white in the video, I am working on a mount that will both hide the hinge better, and allow for the first mate of Davey Jones to guard the chest (using one of those 7" toys you use to replace Tortuga Tom):
https://pirates.fandom.com/wiki/Maccus

#97 4 years ago

I really agree with all of the points being thrown out here, and it is great that someone figured out the original design too. I agree with zaphX too with the servo adding more complexity.

That being said, I just wonder why it was removed in the first place? Was it somehow causing damage to the lid maybe?
Eric mentioned some issues, just wonder what they all were. I do remember at the Louisville show, Keith and a couple others wired the chest open.

I just figured a servo is so cheap, $12 at amazon for the metal gear that I used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KZKOIZC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

That if the servo ever did go bad, I can easily order another...so the servo going bad is nbd to me.

But to each their own. I should have the final version to share in a couple days. It sounds like people will have choices for adding the mod back, which is awesome to me. Especially for this beautiful game. I am not trying to sell this, but seeing the chest open and close when a ball is ready to lock is so cool.

1 week later
#140 4 years ago

FYI, I'm going to try and work with pinballjj to make kits commercially available.

Yes, Harry totally rocks for doing this! I will be posting a new video and a link to the materials etc. later!

#146 4 years ago

I still need to do the final writeup, but here is a video of the final testing of the servo actuated open/close:

I apologize for the bad audio/video, but I couldn't find my USB audio in adapter. I had an ok game considering there was a mic stand with a phone in front of my face lol.

#155 4 years ago

It is not too bad.
For the DIY:
It takes you longer to cut the metal plate and 3d print the bracket.
Soldering is not too bad.. just 7 connections to solder (3 for servo, 2 for switch, 2 for power).
The rest is wire ties and screws.
Final bracket, plate pattern and source for the arduino will be uploaded and link will be provided in this thread.

For the kit:
harryhoudini is going to make up a kit that is available. Of course the kit needs to be made first, but I would think a person comfortable already with installing a mod in some capacity could handle this in half an hour or so.

#161 4 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Love how the chest sound effect (creaking when it opens and closes) aligns almost perfectly with the actual chest movement.

Yeah I messed with the speed of the servo to get it to match as close as I could. My brother advised me to make sure the next video showed the animation on the screen at the same time

#169 4 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Pinballj - awesome work! Thanks for doing this. Is the .stl on GitHub current or are you using an updated bracket?

Sorry, I need to upload the latest. Will do that tonight, and will make sure the latest source code is up there too.

#178 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Idea/question: If I remember right (and it's possible I don't) there was already an EOS switch on the fork mech. Maybe it's possible to tap that instead of adding a second switch?

I thought about that, but really wanted to keep this completely isolated from the game itself. Just to avoid any interference with the playfield switch matrix etc. Definitely doable though using two inputs on the arduino to trigger when: strobe is low to the switch and the output of the switch is low. That would require connecting (soldering?) Into the existing switch though.

#185 4 years ago

So I got almost everything documented now for anyone wanting to tackle this. I am printing out a bracket and making a plate to send to harryhoudini so that he can make some kits up for people wanting to go that route too.

Here is a link to the bracket on thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3719361
I have everything in a GitHub repo here: https://github.com/jfleitz/jjpotc-chest

If you don't want to read the readme though, the Bill of Materials list is here: https://github.com/jfleitz/jjpotc-chest/blob/master/materials.md

I need to get the final plate sketched up and uploaded, but that should be all that is left for documentation purposes.
Oh also, the latest source has been uploaded to the github repo too (it was just the close angle that I adjusted).

Good luck to everyone trying this! I am confident harryhoudini will make a good kit too, once all parts are acquired etc.

-Jeremy

Oh, and pardon my grammar in the write-ups... I haven't really proofread anything yet lol.

#196 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Hi Jeremy. Had a quick read. Really looking forward to this. Quick question. Is it possible for the fork and chest to get out of sync? Just wondering if the switch acts as a toggle whether it could happen. Thanks!

I don't think it could unless the switch is out of adjustment. Basically if the switch is closed, the chest lid is closed. That is when the fork mech is completely retracted.

Any other position (fork mech raising, fork mech all the way open etc), the chest lid is opened since the micro switch would be open

#197 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Thanks so much! Really looking forward to this!
Do you recommend PLA, ABS, or something like Nylon for the bracket material? Is there a lot of stress on it?

I am still a noob at 3d printing, but thought ABS made the most sense myself, since it is durable and easy to use. Nylon would be a great choice but my extruders don't support it

#213 4 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

Got one bracket done to ship to harryhoudini This is a pretty long print.[quoted image]

Looks great! And yes it is a long print lol.

Good job!
There is nothing like the smell of 3d printing plastic in the morning btw.

#313 4 years ago

Hi everyone, so I took Soulrider911 's advice and thought I would make a 3d printed lid bracket and try it out. It worked but I messed up the alignment on the hinge, so it didn't shut correctly. I am going to update the file and share that out on thingiverse as well, for people that want to take that approach. I didn't get much testing in yet though.

First pic shows the new plate installed. Second pic shows the difference between my hacked metal proto vs the 3d printed one
20190703_075029 (resized).jpg20190703_075029 (resized).jpg20190703_085152 (resized).jpg20190703_085152 (resized).jpg

#314 4 years ago

Just noticed that you really can't see the hole and "lever" from the previous pic, where the pushrod goes through. Here is what the top looks like. I put ribs on top to help with strength.

20190703_074647 (resized).jpg20190703_074647 (resized).jpg
#330 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

For the record, on the servo the pinouts are:
Brown: Ground
Orange/Reddish: +
Yellowish: Signal/Control
And here's how the board wires up (power for the board comes through the mini-USB):[quoted image]

Thanks for posting, but just to clarify, the source has it as D10 (not D12), but that can easily change in software if you want to use D12

https://github.com/jfleitz/jjpotc-chest/blob/609117a48fa64482862a90c043a359e189d8d106/arduino/chest-opener.ino#L13

20190703_082420 (resized).jpg20190703_082420 (resized).jpg
#333 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Fixed. Thanks.
Do you have a picture of your base bracket with the switch attached? I think I have this right, but want to make sure.

Sure.. I forgot to call this out too, as I bent the micro actuator on the last bracket to get better contact (see pic). I am traveling right now, but thought instead of bending, you could pivot the switch on the screw toward the center of the bracket until the actuator points to the edge...then screw down. Hope that makes sense.

When I get back I will try that myself and post results. The original bracket has been working perfect, so I haven't messed with it.
Fyi harryhoudini

switch mountedswitch mountedswitch actuator bentswitch actuator bent

20190703_082420 (resized).jpg20190703_082420 (resized).jpg
#346 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Wait, so are you saying connecting the computer USB to the Nano mini-usb for 5v power wasn't reliable so you just sent the Nano 5v directly from the ATX power supply to the mini-USB, OR are you saying you didn't use the mini-USB to supply the 5v at all?
IF you didn't use the mini-USB, where did you put the 5v power input in on the Nano?

You should be able to power the nano from the 5volt pin (same as where the servo is wired) and not use the mini USB connector at all. I got a Y atx adapter that I am going to use to do this myself.

So basically 5volt pin on the nano goes to Servo power and ATX red wire from the power supply. This bypasses the voltage regulator on the nano (which is a good thing imo, since current draw of a servo could be pushing it).

#378 4 years ago

Bonus lighting opportunity. Ordering some 1/4” lexan to test with. This stuff is 1/16 and still performs pretty well.
[quoted image]

That is a great idea. I know there is the red led already in the trunk, but you could power the rgb strip from the same arduino. Maybe make a red heartbeat like glow while the chest is opening, then a fading a red light when shutting.

#400 4 years ago

Excellent work PinMonk and @harryhoudini!
This seems to be coming together nicely

#411 4 years ago

Oh man, we need to talk! I'm going to test 1/4" lexan/polycarbonate. I think that's a good thickness and will work, but I've only used 1/32" so far. The question is if there are any obstructions caused by the 1/4". I don't think so because pinballj's lid that he 3D printed is at least that thick. I suppose you could cut it from almost anything to test, wood or plastic.
I'll send/post it when ready.

Btw, it definitely doesn't have to be as thick as the one I sent you harryhoudini . My proto used a steel plate, and I wanted to try out a 3d printed bracket. I just wasnt sure how flimsy it would be, even with an 80% fill. I printed a 3mm thick without the ribs at 100% last night and it is a little flimsy, but not too bad.

#435 4 years ago

Finally got my chest bracket printed and tested. My proto was using a steel plate cutout. The 3d printed version seems just as good. I ended up with a 3mm thickness. I didn't put any slots in the hinge holes, but I did slot the chest cover holes (like the original did) so that you can adjust where the lip closes.

This file is now added to the chest bracket "thing" on thingiverse:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3719361

Oh, one other note... putting washers in between the hinge and the bracket (see pic) allows for the hinge to freely open without getting hung up on the bracket. It works much smoother IMO.
20190710_203341 (resized).jpg20190710_203341 (resized).jpg20190710_203504 (resized).jpg20190710_203504 (resized).jpg

20190710_203741 (resized).jpg20190710_203741 (resized).jpg
#439 4 years ago

FYI, PinMonk pointed out an issue with the open/close mod where the servo makes a buzzing noise and "always stays on". This is the servo actually making little adjustments to hold position of what it was commanded. It "shouldn't" be an issue, but since this drawing power (and really is making the servo motor always do something), I made a change to the source to turn off the servo when it reaches it's destination. New source has been uploaded, and can still be found here:

https://github.com/jfleitz/jjpotc-chest/tree/master/arduino

Thanks for pointing this out @vireland!

#442 4 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Nice! I was going to mention this, looks like the denounce added solves it?

Yeah the detach solved it (denouncing was there for the switch inputs).

#456 4 years ago

Controller with socketed connections for everything including light mod add-on. Production sample.
[quoted image]

Nice work!

3 weeks later
#557 4 years ago

I don't know why the 4-way arm. That's just what pinballj's prototype showed up with. Does it matter? I think they are the same length arms on each?
I think the thinking on the kwik-link arms was to provide somewhat unlimited adjustability. If you use the arm and the threaded end is at the servo are you bending the upper end? Seems like that's sort of almost semi-permanent whereas the other way you can just slide it in and out of the bushing on the servo. I wanted to do a sort of "T" barrel type slip joint at the top but this way seems to work just fine.

Yeah sorry about the confusion on the 4 way arm use. It was just the first one I grabbed. Really any of them would work (but I dont have OCD either lol).

On the kwik link, I did end up using the threaded rod end w the clevis to go on the servo instead of the mini connector on mine (either way works), and then using a little ball end that has a set screw on the side for the end to the chest top.

This also allows for you to unscrew the kwik link altogether from the top of the playfield, if you ever wanted to get into the chest. Of course I can't think of why you would want to do that. Maybe have a party. Oooh a disco party with @harryhoudini's light mod!

Nice work on your nano bracket @vireland! I like the labels too!

1565141589486395881561050416345 (resized).jpg1565141589486395881561050416345 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#654 4 years ago

Hummm.. interesting. I did not have this happen in my testing. I did not disconnect the servo in the code, from everything I read it wasn't necessary and would let the servo move with force applied to it and not hold its position. Could this be an issue with that particular servo?
I can certainly add a detach method but I've even read comments where people suggest not to do that. It is my understanding you keep it attached so it has power applied and holds its position.
vireland or pinballj do you have specific experience with this issue? Or vireland were you just commenting that is what pinballj did?
I'll search the thread and see what was up.

Yeah @Harryhoudini..check to see if you have the attach / detach calls in. From the commits:
https://github.com/jfleitz/jjpotc-chest/commit/2f9159ae7dabb1739699a685a197005ceec405a1#diff-022815730130ab86b39b409e5cb96a18

If you do, and it is still chattering, my thought is that the servo is not able to "home its position". I would recommend:
1. Remove the servo arm from the servo
2. Make sure ramp is down
3. Turn game on and allow for servo to "home position "
4. Put servo arm back on (but not too much tension on the linkage, to allow servo to move).

Just my thoughts/opinions. Btw, excellent work for getting these manufacturered! I am terrible with keeping up with emails, let alone pinside in a timely fashion lol.

-Jeremy

#666 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This is a common thing with the Arduino examples - they get you started but don’t always follow all the way through for practical use

Totally agree with you on this. I assumed that the func would go to the pos and stop, not go to the pos and hold. Sadly I cant remember who called this out to me (and the reason why I added the detach).

Either way, I appreciate the constructive criticism myself lol. I havent had a servo motor burn out yet, but I did put the change in awhile ago too.

1 month later
#1005 4 years ago

pinballj is the man!
We got caught up in a WOZ mod that really needs to be done. Will get back on the chest back, just needs a bit of refinement.

No...you're the man for getting this produced and available to the masses!

3 months later
#1164 4 years ago

Hey, chest mod got nominated for a TWIP award! While it's listed as Pinball Mod Co the credit all goes to pinballj who did all the hard work. I've finally been able to play my game (it's mostly together!) and love watching the chest open and close.

I voted for it too lol. Honestly though, you and your fam made this mod easily available to all (vs having to DIY everything). The early version had quite a few on this thread helping make tweaks and suggestions to the original coding and bracket too.

TWIPY or not, I am just happy my chest opens and closes!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 38.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Wanted
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-treasure-chest-open-and-close?tu=pinballj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.