New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 244666)

JJPOTC Treasure Chest Open/Close mod, now working!

By pinballj

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 1,297 posts
  • 122 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 days ago by Betelgeuse
  • Topic is favorited by 90 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 216 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20201114_192923 (resized).jpg
20201114_192818 (resized).jpg
02C87E30-4BFA-435D-A3EF-31D168D3AB92 (resized).jpeg
738E8522-6D97-4B27-9C08-837DEC04E7DA (resized).jpeg
88EEEF69-A22E-4982-A5A8-807FAE7A8B8C (resized).jpeg
E126011B-BD4F-4C12-902F-4FF80843C940 (resized).jpeg
762FC743-F788-4846-BA20-02D6650478D6 (resized).jpeg
56F3A09C-5A1D-481F-9FD4-7115C9DE444A (resized).jpeg
03F92215-5BB9-42F9-8ECA-F4BD9246B90D (resized).jpeg
291FCCBE-5C51-4F0F-ACA2-38E81072B7EA (resized).jpeg
EA9E7984-8C8B-4E95-ADEB-DC3312A20DAC (resized).jpeg
20200623_175636 (resized).jpg
20200620_172247 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200511_154933 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200511_153939 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200509_154540 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1297 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 26.
#251 1 year ago

Ordered placed! One of the best mods ever! Looking forward to these shipping in several weeks!

#252 1 year ago

Also ordered!! Looking forward to it!!

#253 1 year ago

Man I can not wait to get this in my game. So I actually have the majority of the parts so going to build my own... one key part I am still a little unsure on is the chest Bracket(s).

It would appear the original bracket on the trunk lid was modified, and another bracket was added and bent to a 90?

bracket (resized).png
#254 1 year ago

Thats a newly manufacturer lid bracket, looks like original but the lip needs to be on the other side .

Bending the existing lip cold the other way its now wil result in a fracture if you dont heat it on the bend line

#255 1 year ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

Thats a newly manufacturer lid bracket, looks like original but the lip needs to be on the other side .
Bending the existing lip cold the other way its now wil result in a fracture if you dont heat it on the bend line

Right
This is a newly made part.
I did not want to destroy the original part,
think also that it would break with cold bending.

#256 1 year ago

the bracket may have been made but the main part in that picture I am pretty sure is the original trunk bracket?
i have a blow torch and that is how i would bend it... wonder if the bracket would be strong enough if 3D printed at high density.

#257 1 year ago

If anyone wants the 3d printed part only they are listed now. Will take a bit of time to ship so if you want it immediately might want to source it online.
https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/jpinballs-actuated-chest-mod-bracket-only-jersey-jack-pinball-pirates-of-the-caribbean

#258 1 year ago

Great harryhoudini the part that I’m still confused on - and seems to be lightly documented and no stl file for is the trunk bracket not the servo mount. Do you have that file?

#259 1 year ago

No file has been made yet. It was a manual modification I think pinballj made and I'm waiting on that as well. I don't know if he sent me one, so either I'll get designs from him or fab one up myself. I am talking with a local metal place to produce them once I get the actual design. I can sketch it up in some program if a drawing doesn't exist, just need measurements.

Edit - I'm dumb. pinballj is sending me the top bracket as well. I'll draw it up and post for anyone who wants it and I'll get the fab shop to quote. I have another piece to produce for a different mod so maybe it will be cost effective. I can probably add it in as an option to the 3D bracket alone so you can get both pieces and just pickup the other parts. In the kit I'm including everything you need to install, including all wiring harnesses, etc. Plug and play.

#260 1 year ago

Awesome harryhoudini I’m the meantime I ordered a replacement trunk lid bracket and going to bend mine and test then possibly see if I can make a 3D printed version that is strong enough, this would be great also as it reduces a lot of weight

#261 1 year ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Awesome harryhoudini I’m the meantime I ordered a replacement trunk lid bracket and going to bend mine and test then possibly see if I can make a 3D printed version that is strong enough, this would be great also as it reduces a lot of weight

I was thinking about that as well. If you end up doing that, it might be easier than fab shop doing a small run of metal and we'll print those as well. I worry they are too thin to be viable unless printed in something expensive.

#262 1 year ago

I’m still learning 3D printing but from what I gather the integrity and strength has a lot to do with the orientation of the part on the printing bed. Also the layer height, and infil (the density of the inside the walls) but as I said I’m kinda new to it

#263 1 year ago

Ordered, thank you sir!

#264 1 year ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

If anyone wants the 3d printed part only they are listed now. Will take a bit of time to ship so if you want it immediately might want to source it online.
https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/jpinballs-actuated-chest-mod-bracket-only-jersey-jack-pinball-pirates-of-the-caribbean

I'm making a bracket/container for the fake arduino board so you can snap it to the bracket in a vented enclosure instead of having to zip-tie it to the block as it is now. If people hang tight for a day or two I should have it tested and I'll post the change.

#265 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

I'm making a bracket/container for the fake arduino board so you can snap it to the bracket in a vented enclosure instead of having to zip-tie it to the block as it is now. If people hang tight for a day or two I should have it tested and I'll post the change.

Doh... already printing!

#266 1 year ago

Have it cut in clear lexan. Its how my set up is and you can move the chest RGB light board under it too for better effect , two mods one.

And its bulletproof too. And lightweight

#267 1 year ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

Have it cut in clear lexan. Its how my set up is and you can move the chest RGB light board under it too for better effect , two mods one.
And its bulletproof too. And lightweight

Nice. I happen to have lexan here as well. But I'll call a cnc place. Do you have a template?

#268 1 year ago

Ordered, thx for your work.

#269 1 year ago

the bracket may have been made but the main part in that picture I am pretty sure is the original trunk bracket?
i have a blow torch and that is how i would bend it... wonder if the bracket would be strong enough if 3D printed at high density.

I made it from a piece of old iron shelf.
No live JJP part was killed for it.
IMG_8254 (resized).jpg

#270 1 year ago

Nice. I happen to have lexan here as well. But I'll call a cnc place. Do you have a template?

Just flip the original bracket

#271 1 year ago

My 3D Printer is on the way! Pumped I wanted one anyway this just gave me more of an excuse to get one

#272 1 year ago

Ha! Even roughing it out, I spent way more time on this than I should have. This is a rough print. If you go to .15 or .10 it can look much better.

Here's the Nano enclosure. There are two channels (left and right) inside the enclosure, under the board to run the wiring down to the end of the box and out so it has a clean look. This just has the two switch leads attached for the picture.

nano-box-bottom (resized).jpg

I have no idea what heat these generate, so I vented the top, just in case.
nano-box-top (resized).jpg

Then the Nano enclosure snaps into the modified bigger bracket. Since it takes so long to print a full bracket, I only printed the base of that area to test the fit. It just clips in and out. Pretty nice.
nano-braket-clipped-in (resized).jpg

Here's the top part with cable management for the leads to the switch and the leads coming up from the servo on the side. I'm pretty sure I'll be cutting the connector off the servo and soldering the control line straight to the Nano and the power leads to the 5V adapter.

nano-bracket-top-w-cable-management (resized).jpg
#273 1 year ago

Nice!

Do you know if those dimensions work for all "nano" devices or is that only the specific size of an Arduino?

#274 1 year ago

Nice!
Do you know if those dimensions work for all "nano" devices or is that only the specific size of an Arduino?

I only have the fake Arduino Nano board from Amazon that the OP suggested for this project on the BoM. No idea how it stacks up to other real or fake Nanos. I'm assuming they tried to fake convincingly, including dimensions, but I have no idea.

#275 1 year ago

Ordered. Thank you for all the work.

#276 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

I only have the fake Arduino Nano board from Amazon that the OP suggested for this project on the BoM. No idea how it stacks up to other real or fake Nanos. I'm assuming they tried to fake convincingly, including dimensions, but I have no idea.

Cool, thanks. I purchased a bulk of different (pre-soldered) boards so I'll measure and see if we need to modify to fit or if it is universal.

#277 1 year ago

Cool, thanks. I purchased a bulk of different (pre-soldered) boards so I'll measure and see if we need to modify to fit or if it is universal.

Which boards did you get? By pre-soldered do you mean the pin headers are on the board? That might be a clearance problem. Since there's so few wires to connect, I didn't even put the header pins on the boards I got.

#278 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Which boards did you get? By pre-soldered do you mean the pin headers are on the board? That might be a clearance problem. Since there's so few wires to connect, I didn't even put the header pins on the boards I got.

Ah, I thought the headers were in use with the hookup wires. I can exchange them pretty easily.

I think this is the model: amazon.com link »

I believe the supplier also has them in unsoldered.

#279 1 year ago

Ah, I thought the headers were in use with the hookup wires. I can exchange them pretty easily.
I think this is the model: amazon.com link »
I believe the supplier also has them in unsoldered.

With just a handful of wires to connect, it's easier just to push the wires though the holes and solder them directly to the board. I'm hoping to have everything wired up with the revised bracket and nano enclosure later tonight to make sure it all comes together cleanly. Then I can worry about installing it to get the chest working.

#280 1 year ago

Think I’m going to fork the OP’s code and add support for toggling and led strip on and off for those of us that have an led strip in the trunk
Also anyone know where he sources the 5v power from? What connection on backbox?

#281 1 year ago

Think I’m going to fork the OP’s code and add support for toggling and led strip on and off for those of us that have an led strip in the trunk
Also anyone know where he sources the 5v power from? What connection on backbox?

ATX adapter on the computer power supply to tap the 5V without affecting anything else.

#282 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Ha! Even roughing it out, I spent way more time on this than I should have. This is a rough print. If you go to .15 or .10 it can look much better.
Here's the Nano enclosure. There are two channels (left and right) inside the enclosure, under the board to run the wiring down to the end of the box and out so it has a clean look. This just has the two switch leads attached for the picture.
[quoted image]
I have no idea what heat these generate, so I vented the top, just in case.
[quoted image]
Then the Nano enclosure snaps into the modified bigger bracket. Since it takes so long to print a full bracket, I only printed the base of that area to test the fit. It just clips in and out. Pretty nice.
[quoted image]
I'm printing the revised big bracket now that I've added some cable management to to clean it up. Once I get this all done, I'll post the revised big bracket and the nano box.

What’s this for? Sorry guys, confused

#283 1 year ago

kornfreak28 he is making a bracket to hold the arduino for the chest meck

#284 1 year ago

HAHA... I was planning on doing that. I was actually going to see about doing the lexan trunk lid plate with the strip behind it. I have a RGB strip with a dimmer/levels so I can set brightness and color. But I use 12v power because it's easily accessible under the PF. But, you can also just use a DC buck converter to take the 12v to whatever you want.

And I have a bunch of this stuff in stock if anyone wants to have it shipped with their mod. I'll get it posted to the site.

#285 1 year ago

Production line is ramping up boys! Got the wife on the job!

0702191742 (resized).jpg
#286 1 year ago

Production line is ramping up boys! Got the wife on the job![quoted image]

About time we got them to do something useful.

#287 1 year ago

Just because:

giphy.gif

#288 1 year ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

What’s this for? Sorry guys, confused

The existing bracket just has a block and a space to zip-tie the Nano to it, which looks...messy. This cleans everything up and puts it in a clip-on block and has hooks to manage the wires so the install will be much cleaner.

#289 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

The existing bracket just has a block and a space to zip-tie the Nano to it, which looks...messy. This cleans everything up and puts it in a clip-on block and has hooks to manage the wires so the install will be much cleaner.

I assume it could just be screwed to the block too, no?

#290 1 year ago

I assume it could just be screwed to the block too, no?

If the block size was increased to allow holes. As it is now, the design is very tight. No wasted space. It's only designed to clip in.

#291 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

If the block size was increased to allow holes. As it is now, the design is very tight. No wasted space. It's only designed to clip in.

Hot glue it is!

#292 1 year ago

Your team hard at work

"Ms Houdini works on the production line here at Magical Pinball Mods.... blah blah instagram post"

0702191854 (resized).jpg

#293 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Thanks for the explanation! Is this going to be included in HH’s kit? Or is this going to be sold separately?

#294 1 year ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thanks for the explanation! Is this going to be included in HH’s kit? Or is this going to be sold separately?

We've already been printing brackets (I mean geteos has, lol) so they don't have any changes like this in them. I was actually planning on wrapping the nano in shrink wrap tubing and hot gluing or double stick taping it to the bracket. I don't think the cover will be that big of detraction

#295 1 year ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I'll post the revised parts so you can print it if you want. I want mine to be a very clean install, but I'm pickier than most.

#296 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

I'll post the revised parts so you can print it if you want. I want mine to be a very clean install, but I'm pickier than most.

Well, I certainly hope you rounded all the corners and sanded it

#297 1 year ago

Well, I certainly hope you rounded all the corners and sanded it

Ha! I ALMOST made the corners rounded, but talked myself out of it to concentrate on functionality/accessibility/wire management. Sanding for a utilitarian product is a bridge too far, so I'm not doing that. These improvements are essentially for my own OCD mollification.

#298 1 year ago

You disappoint.

I was actually thinking about painting them.

#299 1 year ago

Hey Harry how many orders have come in so far? Totally understand if you don’t wanna share just curious about demand.

#300 1 year ago

So cool.. will love this as a kit to put on my potc

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
14,000 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Houston, TX
14,000 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Louisville, KY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
There are 1297 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 26.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside