(Topic ID: 244666)

JJPOTC Treasure Chest Open/Close mod, now working!

By pinballj

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230211_193725 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230211_193309 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230211_174738 (resized).jpg
2022-12-10 18.13.36 (resized).jpg
2022-12-03 16.39.16 (resized).jpg
2022-12-03 16.39.03 (resized).jpg
20221109_175012 (resized).jpg
20221109_190714 (resized).jpg
20221109_175033 (resized).jpg
20221109_174757 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_152356_edit_415805112164156 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151839_edit_415860847540189 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151846_edit_415835308941755 (resized).jpg
D51450B8-C097-4943-9B2C-5358436C4892 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2497 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7 Working prototype video Posted by pinballj (4 years ago)

Post #185 Everything needed to make your own chest-opening mod... Posted by pinballj (4 years ago)

Post #615 Code for lighting mod controller Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Post #925 Adjusting switch for mod when chest lid doesn't work Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paynemic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#60 4 years ago

Following. Want one for sure.

1 week later
#181 4 years ago

Also in for a pre-order

#221 4 years ago

Count me in for a servo kit!

1 month later
#677 4 years ago

any news on updated code HH? I was about to install and I remembered it needed an update...

#723 4 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Just installed the chest mod. In the close position, the arm is up (12:00) instead of down. Wasn't too much trouble to switch it.
The 4 screws that go into the metal bracket were a bear to get in, especially the left side. I removed some playfield hardware to make room.
Also the tab in the back of the chest bumps into the clear coil cover. I'll probably just dremel that cover a little.
Anyway, this mod is fantastic!

I had this exact same experience. You saved me the typing. On all points. It’s awesome though!

Also, my buttons for lighting, mod control didn’t seem to do what the little map said, but I mostly figured it out. Great stuff.

#756 4 years ago

I must have gotten lucky because my whole process was one hour. I too had to cut a little shrink wrap away to expose the controller board receptacle. My lid is not perfectly aligned either. Frankly, my top and bottom weren’t really made to the same dimensions anyway. So regardless of position, mine wouldn’t fit like the pic someone posted a few posts ago.

#791 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Last I heard it is still being worked on and is undergoing extensive testing. That's the one I am holding out for.

Hold out no further. The “elegance” of the mechanic solution aside, with the lighting, heartbeat, and lid opening, the servo mod is perfect.

2 weeks later
#882 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I received my trunk mod. Question for those that installed it already: Would it be easier to install this with the playfield out of the machine? (service rails setting on saw horses) I'm guessing that removing the trunk lid might be the only thing easier. I have a bunch of other mods to install including ModCouple stuff, Pinball Mod Co stuff, cliffys, side blades mylar in the starfield area, etc. and will remove the playfield to make most of this easier. Since I'm doing that anyway, I'm looking for the easiest way to do it.

No. It was fine in the machine. I wouldn’t take it out.

#897 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

That is my bad... I am updating that when I can, but it's pinballj. I'm slightly dyslexic. Now it affects the URL's, lol.. so I have to fix that with the new website that I'm putting up soon.
He used the same rod, our mod is basically what he designed. His lid was thinner so I think it was less of an issue. Once you kink the rod it sort of becomes obvious that it should be kinked because it sort of orients itself in the hole, if you see what I mean. I can do a quick video of the bending process I used if that would help.

Is there a step by step or video for reprogramming the computer? I’ve been using mine on original code because it was so awesome I couldn’t wait. Then I forgot it needed to be done.

#966 4 years ago

So I reprogrammed my Arduino with the new code. Went reasonable well. But now my chest opens all the way then closes most of the way (when it should be wide open). Did I miss part of the instructions? Is there a homing routine or do I need to change something mechanical?

#968 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Are you using the star arm on the servo? If so, you probably have the rod on the wrong one.

Yes. Star arm. It worked on the old code but I was one of the people that had to mount to the opposite arm. I’ll figure it out.

#970 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Are you saying this happens when it first turns on? It does a new startup routine yes, it cycles the chest once. It should go the same distance it did before the update (I don't think that changed). I think the direction should also be the same on the new version, which is why there was a non-versioned update to 1.1 (which I think only one or two people downloaded). Did you move anything hardware wise when you did the update? Like, take the whole thing out and put it back in? I would only question if the rod is binding on the lid (in the hole) and needs a little bend. Unless it's hitting something else that was really the only reason I saw for partial movements, that or the rod not being aligned/adjusted. But if you didn't move anything that would be odd.

I did take some slack out of the rod (I know better than to adjust two variables at once, but I did it anyway). Before the update, the nut was maybe 7mm above the lid plastic when the lid was closed. So I kept it closed and took that slack out of the rod and retightened. Now it opens all the way and then mostly closes again.

I’m a little confused about the version I should have downloaded. It’s my recollection I did download 1.1

10 months later
#1269 3 years ago

So I think I’m still on the old code! I realized I forgot to update it. Are there easy instructions on how to do this?

2 months later
#1281 3 years ago

I do think there is a step in the instructions about adjusting that switch to engage the plastic spacer well. I had to change mine but I don’t think you should have to change the position of the whole mod mech

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 38.00
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paynemic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-treasure-chest-open-and-close?tu=paynemic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.