New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 244666)

JJPOTC Treasure Chest Open/Close mod, now working!

By pinballj

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 1,288 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 minutes ago by Jecco74
  • Topic is favorited by 90 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 211 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E126011B-BD4F-4C12-902F-4FF80843C940 (resized).jpeg
762FC743-F788-4846-BA20-02D6650478D6 (resized).jpeg
56F3A09C-5A1D-481F-9FD4-7115C9DE444A (resized).jpeg
03F92215-5BB9-42F9-8ECA-F4BD9246B90D (resized).jpeg
291FCCBE-5C51-4F0F-ACA2-38E81072B7EA (resized).jpeg
EA9E7984-8C8B-4E95-ADEB-DC3312A20DAC (resized).jpeg
20200623_175636 (resized).jpg
20200620_172247 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200511_154933 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200511_153939 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200509_154540 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200509_154404 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200509_154357 (resized).jpg
20200413_150522 (resized).jpg
20200413_145835 (resized).jpg
B092049F-16FA-4E24-A5CF-37048592C7F0 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7 Working prototype video Posted by pinballj (1 year ago)

Post #185 Everything needed to make your own chest-opening mod... Posted by pinballj (1 year ago)

Post #615 Code for lighting mod controller Posted by harryhoudini (1 year ago)

Post #925 Adjusting switch for mod when chest lid doesn't work Posted by harryhoudini (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bc_gambit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 1 year ago

Amazing!

Hopefully you can sell these... It seems almost unfair to make pirates even better.

#117 1 year ago
Quoted from Agima2000:

next test step

Awesome!

I am not mod crazy by any means, but if this can be produced by anybody, it will sell. Seems like a no brainer add, assuming reliability works out!

#127 1 year ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I like it ... following and looking for someone to sell it as a mod kit.

Similar here; I don't mind a DIY solution, but a reasonably costed kit would be nice as well!

Honestly this is like Christmas in June. Really surprising how quickly this moved from a "is this even possible?" to "hopefully this can be shipped soon"

#171 1 year ago
Quoted from moTiv8:

Money ready for this must have Mod

Same here. I am putting off ordering some other mods to see where this one ends up budget wise and saving on shipping would be nice.

#202 1 year ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I've got costing going on for the parts in bulk and I'll see what kind of labor has to be put in so I can get this listed on my store and you can all start ordering. Seems like it should come together pretty quickly.

Sweet!

2 months later
#846 1 year ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Guys - Can someone help me out here? I have the chest mod installed. Opens and closes nicely, and the lights work - but there is a problem....
Check out the video. When I start a game the servo actuates the chest lid as it "finds home". But once I start a game - the servo no longer moves or opens the chest. If I cut the game off, and back on again - same thing... servo finds home - lid opens - but never raises again. I played a game and locked 3 balls and went into multiball - but the chest never opened once. Very frustrating. Help troubleshooting this would be welcomed. - Murphy

My educated guess after doing my own install is your "fork switch" on the chest mod (the leaf/microswitch thing that gets pushed in and out when the forks move up and down, ON the chest mod hardware that you installed) is bunged up somehow.

The chest movement you see is due to the mod getting power, it will go through those motions no matter what (the servo moved a bit up and down if you will during its power on cycle).

BUT it seems that your mod is not sensing the fork movement.

#847 1 year ago

I did this install last weekend; I wasn't timing myself but I swear it took close to five hours.

1 hour of that was performing the code update, most of which was installing the different bits and following the instructions and learning how to use the software. Plus my computer is super old so even the software install took a bit longer than it may for you.

The next day I tackled the mod. I did not know there was a lid removal video so I figured that out myself. I also watched the other install videos as I did the work, so I included that in the time above.

My chest mod also had to go on the opposite arm that was pictured, which did cost me a decent amount of time as I went back and forth trying to figure out what I had missed, and eventually just went with what worked. I also spent a decent amount of time making sure wires were not going to get pinched by the rod or the other parts of the mod. I spent a decent amount of time bending the rod "just right".

Also, getting the rod at just the right height took a while as indicted by everybody else. I had it perfect "on the wrong side", then moved it to the other side and had to do some re-bends, and it was binding or something at a few points where the lid would move as usual, and then retract a bit due to pressure(?) felt by the mechanism.

Anyways with some persistence it worked great.

AND it survived a tournament we had yesterday, so after 75 or so plays it has held up well (knock on wood).

I think my last unresolved Pirates issue is "taming the slings". I am still getting sling escapes on the left sling during intense multiballs....

1 week later
#973 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Also, having gone through all the assembly, troubleshooting and purchasing of the raw materials, I want to wholeheartedly say that I think scott’s price is INCREDIBLY fair.

Agreed. After receiving the kit from Scott I think he is undercharging a bit. For sure now that the code should be settled and with maybe a few tweaks as suggested to the install videos.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Otsego, MN
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 18.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bc_gambit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside