(Topic ID: 244666)

JJPOTC Treasure Chest Open/Close mod, now working!

By pinballj

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 1,106 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 hours ago by harryhoudini
  • Topic is favorited by 84 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 156 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

A2EC4704-98FE-475F-8BA5-F3C50A941C98 (resized).jpeg
AB9689CC-3E86-4BB8-B6E2-5DBF56051599 (resized).jpeg
D53B4D19-804C-4B88-9B81-113673AD8017 (resized).jpeg
E04A8370-E614-4E7F-8B6D-9403DC65F1FD (resized).jpeg
3121975F-7923-4EE1-9684-2979549F239B (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Cheat Heartbeat-min.gif
Lid-Bracket (resized).jpg
1FE2A9BF-5D88-4ECD-AD42-87C4602EC681 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
AC1ECC09-D487-4768-BEE6-91B577172798 (resized).jpeg
AACE8A99-8237-4F7C-BF48-2ADE8B1E54EF (resized).jpeg
8E1496FC-8D2B-455A-8DE6-48C38BDE210B (resized).png
0438BDDE-11B1-4237-9616-5A01D5228894 (resized).png
6E683879-C722-454D-8BE4-06CB1E5035CF (resized).jpeg
20190930_143532 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #7 Working prototype video Posted by pinballj (4 months ago)

Post #185 Everything needed to make your own chest-opening mod... Posted by pinballj (3 months ago)

Post #615 Code for lighting mod controller Posted by harryhoudini (67 days ago)

Post #925 Adjusting switch for mod when chest lid doesn't work Posted by harryhoudini (37 days ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kornfreak28.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 4 months ago

I want one!

#52 4 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

Haha I get your point though. Hopefully OP changes mind or someone takes these like mod couple and sell them

I agree! Most of us don’t own a 3D printer, you know?

#77 4 months ago
Quoted from pinballj:

I thought it was removed do to inconsistent ball locking , but no clue if that was due to the fork mech not raising or something else. I did the servo method to have something completely separate "powering" the lid. Worst case if there were rejects with the servo, you can just simply unplug it and turn the servo to the location you want the lid to be at in a fixed position

So are you planning on selling the mod?

#94 4 months ago
Quoted from pinballj:

Good job though on getting this working!!
I must say I like this too for the simplicity, but I like the open/close to be less drastic and slower (creepier?). I actually slowed down the servo a bit when it opens, and made it close a little faster on purpose.
Just a quick update on the servo version:
Testing over the weekend (Father's day) went great. The chest never locked up, it open a closed when you expected, no ball rejects, etc.
There is one minor change I am doing to the bracket (moving the micro switch just a little bit) and I think I can call that part finalized, which then I will get that uploaded.
I found a place that can make the metal brackets, and I am just waiting for a quote on what that will cost.
I will upload the plans, Bill of Materials, and a link to the source again when all is done.
Kit-wise: It will prob be a week or so before knowing what this will all cost. I will do a call-to-order when I have all of the info to share.
Last but not least, the spot right behind the treasure chest where I made a temporary cover in white in the video, I am working on a mount that will both hide the hinge better, and allow for the first mate of Davey Jones to guard the chest (using one of those 7" toys you use to replace Tortuga Tom):
https://pirates.fandom.com/wiki/Maccus

I agree!

1 week later
#128 3 months ago

I also like the servo idea. Hopefully kits are available soon!

#138 3 months ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

FYI, I'm going to try and work with pinballjj to make kits commercially available.

You rock Harry!

#154 3 months ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

This is great is this easy enough for a average person to do?

^^^^^

#157 3 months ago
Quoted from pinballj:

It is not too bad.
For the DIY:
It takes you longer to cut the metal plate and 3d print the bracket.
Soldering is not too bad.. just 7 connections to solder (3 for servo, 2 for switch, 2 for power).
The rest is wire ties and screws.
Final bracket, plate pattern and source for the arduino will be uploaded and link will be provided in this thread.
For the kit:
harryhoudini is going to make up a kit that is available. Of course the kit needs to be made first, but I would think a person comfortable already with installing a mod in some capacity could handle this in half an hour or so.

Awesome video! The chest works flawlessly!

#166 3 months ago

Respectfully asking to keep this thread focused on the awesome chest mod and not on game play strategy. Thanks!

#179 3 months ago
Quoted from pinballj:

I thought about that, but really wanted to keep this completely isolated from the game itself. Just to avoid any interference with the playfield switch matrix etc. Definitely doable though using two inputs on the arduino to trigger when: strobe is low to the switch and the output of the switch is low. That would require connecting (soldering?) Into the existing switch though.

I agree with you. Keep it isolated from the game itself.

#189 3 months ago

I’m confused, Do we have to print the bracket ourselves or is this bracket sold at thingiverse?

#195 3 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

I don't know where you live, but lots of libraries have 3D printers now and you can print one there if your library has them. Also check your town for services that offer 3D prints.

Cool!!! Thanks!

#205 3 months ago

Cool. I guess this is more of a group buy. I found most of the parts in larger bulk quantities and it should save like $15 ea in part costs alone. All prime amazon to me, so really not a lot of additional cost on shipping. The 3D parts should be pretty inexpensive. I am just waiting on a few more pieces to come in to place so I can get a proper cost. I have a sample of the 3D part from pinballj coming (and the hinge) and a sample of the 3D part coming from Geteos who is doing all the printing so I can make sure they are the same and do a test fit. I'll plan on programming the arduinos and making all the connectors for a plug and play install. I have parts ordered for both install methods (it's like pennies to add both options) so you can choose.

Add me to the list of buyers

#214 3 months ago
Quoted from Geteos:

Got one bracket done to ship to harryhoudini This is a pretty long print.[quoted image]

Love the awesome team work!

#282 3 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

Ha! Even roughing it out, I spent way more time on this than I should have. This is a rough print. If you go to .15 or .10 it can look much better.
Here's the Nano enclosure. There are two channels (left and right) inside the enclosure, under the board to run the wiring down to the end of the box and out so it has a clean look. This just has the two switch leads attached for the picture.
[quoted image]
I have no idea what heat these generate, so I vented the top, just in case.
[quoted image]
Then the Nano enclosure snaps into the modified bigger bracket. Since it takes so long to print a full bracket, I only printed the base of that area to test the fit. It just clips in and out. Pretty nice.
[quoted image]
I'm printing the revised big bracket now that I've added some cable management to to clean it up. Once I get this all done, I'll post the revised big bracket and the nano box.

What’s this for? Sorry guys, confused

#293 3 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

The existing bracket just has a block and a space to zip-tie the Nano to it, which looks...messy. This cleans everything up and puts it in a clip-on block and has hooks to manage the wires so the install will be much cleaner.

Thanks for the explanation! Is this going to be included in HH’s kit? Or is this going to be sold separately?

#380 3 months ago

Here are the Mouser part numbers for the power connector if anyone wants to build one. I am using the larger gauge .093 crimp connectors because I'm using larger wire for the passthrough and it was tight today with th smaller connectors. I don't think my crimp tool even supports them, damnit.
Mouser #: 571-14806990
Mfr. #: 1-480699-0
Desc.: Pin & Socket Connectors Pin & Socket Connectors CAP HOUSE 2 POS
Mouser #: 571-3505501
Mfr. #: 350550-1
Desc.: Pin & Socket Connectors Pin & Socket Connectors SOCKET 20-14 AWG
Mouser #: 571-3505471
Mfr. #: 350547-1
Desc.: Pin & Socket Connectors Pin & Socket Connectors PIN 20-14 AWG
Mouser #: 571-14806980
Mfr. #: 1-480698-0
Desc.: Pin & Socket Connectors Pin & Socket Connectors PLUG HOUSE 2 POS

Is all this other stuff going to be included in the kit?

#383 3 months ago

EVERYTHING will be included

Thanks! Sorry about the inquiry, but this is getting a bit too high tech for me

#390 3 months ago

Yeah, I mean I have all the stuff here already so if someone wants I light I can add that in. I'll figure out what the parts cost and add it to the site.

Did you post a Video of the light in action by any chance?

#396 3 months ago

I'll send you a light if you want.

I think the light mod looks great and I think you are doing a fantastic job Harry! Thanks!

1 month later
#674 65 days ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Got the Chest Mod and Maelstrom switch upgrade done! Incredible work man! Played about 15 games and everything kicking butt...worth every penny!

Maelstrom switch? What was wrong with it?

#747 60 days ago
Quoted from McSirTuna:

adamross 3-4 hours is possible. But if I had to do it again and didn't run into the issues I did, then I could certainly see it taking much less ~1 hour. I personally move slow / methodical when I'm installing mods. Sometimes you may drop screws and that can easily burn an extra 20 minutes finding them. Things happen anytime you dig into a machine. But as previously stated, I don't regret it a bit. It's a really great modification that is worth the time it takes to install. Scott's instructions are VERY good and make it easy to follow along.
The install rod should be included.

I personally love your videos. They are very helpful and I hope you keep making more. Thanks!

3 weeks later
#895 39 days ago

HA, that's smart! I am guessing that pressure is due to the way the rod goes through the lid hole. If the rod is bent forward at like 3-5 degrees then when it pulls down and the lid tips it will slide through the hole without binding up. At least that is my experience. But yeah, some steel wire or nylon cord probably does pretty well.[quoted image]

What did JJPinball used?

#899 39 days ago

That is my bad... I am updating that when I can, but it's pinballj. I'm slightly dyslexic. Now it affects the URL's, lol.. so I have to fix that with the new website that I'm putting up soon.
He used the same rod, our mod is basically what he designed. His lid was thinner so I think it was less of an issue. Once you kink the rod it sort of becomes obvious that it should be kinked because it sort of orients itself in the hole, if you see what I mean. I can do a quick video of the bending process I used if that would help.

It’s actually my bad! I knew there was a J somewhere. My apologies

#907 37 days ago

Your lid is probably thinner than the ones we produced

You made some?

#951 36 days ago

Like a 2d vertical piece of plastic with a decal on it?
I think I'd rather go like the "beach scene" with some treasure and palm trees. Doesn't that jive with the treasure chest?

IMO, anything you put there must be proportionate to the chest. The chest is huge and if you add tiny palm trees or tiny rowboats they will look out of place. Why not add some gold or something along those lines? Or just hide it with a decal. Less is more IMO

#953 36 days ago

Gold = treasure/loot, that was one of the ideas.
Row boat would be as big as the chest but only about the top half of the boat.
I don't think an out of proportion beach scene would look out of place, it would be more like forced perspective (think cinderella castle in disneyland).
Working on some options, we'll see what looks good. I'm partial to the loot option but I'll likely print at least the row boat to see what it looks like.
If less is more, a black box would be the ideal one. Hardly visible, no lights really shine on it. I think we'll offer the box as a base and then a topper of your choosing.

I love the treasure/loot idea! Interested to see the row boat too. I do see what you mean about the beach scene....

#962 33 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

harryhoudini I'm installing one of these for a local friend tomorrow. The only thing I am unclear on is the removal of the existing lid, does this require Pearl removal?

He posted a really cool video on his site. Pretty easy IMO.

#964 33 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I must have missed it. I reviewed the install instruction videos which started with the parts and ended with the alternate rod setup. Did not see one for the initial chest disassembly?

Look at post 826

#976 32 days ago

Does anybody have a video of the lighting mod?

#997 30 days ago

Yup, that's another common reason. Can't use chrome balls, apparently.

What kind then?

1 week later
#1026 19 days ago
Quoted from mslow:

The flexible pushrod kit comes with short metal threaded rods that screw into the plastic yellow pushrod at each end. I trimmed the length of the yellow plastic with a razor blade. And screwed in the metal rod using needle nose pliers to hold the threaded rod. I used the clevis that came with the yellow pushrod and connected it to the servo. I used the original nut that came with the mod kit on the other end of the yellow rod. I did slightly bend the threaded rod at the trunk end to help with alignment. Once you have the yellow push rod all constructed and have the proper length figured out, cut the outer red tube to a shorter length than the Yellow pushrod and mount or glue it in place. The red is a stationary conduit that the yellow travel through.

Can you post a picture of it installed please?

#1028 19 days ago
Quoted from mslow:

Sure![quoted image][quoted image]

Perfect! Thanks!

#1035 17 days ago

I can send you one, I think we have extras.

Brilliant solution. I've ordered some and I'll post a video of the install for anyone who wants to change over.
The biggest issues I've seen with the rod hanging up are either on the playfield (gotta bend it around the slot) or through the hole in the chest lid bracket. Unless it's bent at the lid about 5-10 degrees and oriented properly (the rod will "sit" in place when it is bent) it will get hung up.
lancelin2k14 I think we got you sorted over email, let me know if you are still having issues.

That would be great!

#1043 15 days ago

I have the devices in hand ready to wire up if anyone wants one. I'll figure out the cost. It would plug and play, you would do nothing apart from plugging it in.

Is this for extra power?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Novato, CA
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 28.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kornfreak28.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside