Carpenter - Halloween pinball machine (resized).jpg
PXL_20240413_183059405 (resized).jpg
IMG_3592 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3589 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3590 (resized).jpeg
Cbl9jGwUcAEkjQk (resized).jpg
IMG_2793 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 16,966 posts in this topic. You are on page 328 of 340.
#16351 5 months ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

I tend to agree the modes are too difficult to start. I really suck at hitting the orbits so it's sometimes easier to just let the ball drain to reset the drops and I've done that a time or two when I'm really frustrated with how much I suck... LOL
Obviously the simple answer is "play better" and that's 100% correct but given the depth of the game now and all of the modes/options, I don't see any harm to making it easier to start another mode. Otherwise, for me, it's about bug fixes. The game is soooooooo close... I think I've ran into one of the screen bugs and I definitely have the shooter lane bug (once out of every 5 games or so on the new code).
Honestly though people who are complaining about the code, especially now, I really don't understand. Perhaps I'm jaded owning JJP titles where they never seem to finish the code, especially POTC, that I don't see the big deal. It would have been one thing if they abandoned it entirely after all the issues, but they didn't... I plan on grabbing a Scooby at some point as a result of Spooky not abandoning this game.

It's funny, Halloween I think is the ONE game where when I need to hit a shot (particularly the orbits), I brick - EXCEPT when I need to reset the drops. I don't understand why that would be, but I am pretty good at nailing those orbits *AS LONG AS* it's just to reset the drops. For points? In a mode? Forget it.

I think some of us are just in complaining mode about this game. It took a loooooooooong time to get where we are.. but it's a pretty damn good place to be at this point. Hopefully Spooky feels like it's a win after this marathon. I'll admit I started to lose faith a little bit here and there with the long waits, but I'm super impressed with how they stepped up. Especially having to replace TWO key components of the game (the artist and the developer), at least one of whom had been with Spooky for years. Definitely would not complain about any bug fixes, but there's so much stuff in this game now, it's impressive.

#16352 5 months ago
Quoted from timtim:

Mode start seems perfectly fine to me. I kind of wish the orbit had a big hurry up or better bonus value, not really anything else to do besides resetting drops.

More combo shots would be great. I personally wouldn't mind seeing the drop reset for modes moved to the left ramp as well, and change the orbits to be more meaningful for combos and perhaps other features, like increased end of ball bonus scoring, or some other game benefit. Right now the orbits main use outside of modes is just to reset the drops. It's one of the tougher shots in the game and its just a mode restart mainly? I wouldn't mind seeing it changed as others have noted to the ramp shot and then figuring out something more meaningful for the orbits instead. In some other games I know the orbits are used as means of increasing values of various aspects of the game, end of ball bonuses, advancing a game feature, increasing jackpot values, and so on.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It's funny, Halloween I think is the ONE game where when I need to hit a shot (particularly the orbits), I brick - EXCEPT when I need to reset the drops. I don't understand why that would be, but I am pretty good at nailing those orbits *AS LONG AS* it's just to reset the drops. For points? In a mode? Forget it.
I think some of us are just in complaining mode about this game. It took a loooooooooong time to get where we are.. but it's a pretty damn good place to be at this point. Hopefully Spooky feels like it's a win after this marathon. I'll admit I started to lose faith a little bit here and there with the long waits, but I'm super impressed with how they stepped up. Especially having to replace TWO key components of the game (the artist and the developer), at least one of whom had been with Spooky for years. Definitely would not complain about any bug fixes, but there's so much stuff in this game now, it's impressive.

It's not so much complaining, but that the game is kind of complete now, I think it's good to discuss the easier enhancements and polish that could be considered for the game. They have stated they still have plans for the game and polishing up things is a big part of that now, so feedback and smoothing out the code is all that is being suggested.

#16353 5 months ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

It's not so much complaining, but that the game is kind of complete now, I think it's good to discuss the easier enhancements and polish that could be considered for the game. They have stated they still have plans for the game and polishing up things is a big part of that now, so feedback and smoothing out the code is all that is being suggested.

And we’re all here for it!!!

#16354 5 months ago

A lot of really interesting ideas, thanks to everyone who’s taken the time to write them up or comment to discuss. We’ll see what we can do!

#16355 5 months ago
Quoted from m4tt:

A lot of really interesting ideas, thanks to everyone who’s taken the time to write them up or comment to discuss. We’ll see what we can do!

Thank you for taking the time to read our comments.

#16356 5 months ago

Is the video clip at the end of the movie where Loomis shoots Michael and he falls out the window in the game? If not is should be at the end of the final wizard mode when all your balls drain and its over. Kind of like the end of the game

#16357 5 months ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

Is the video clip at the end of the movie where Loomis shoots Michael and he falls out the window in the game? If not is should be at the end of the final wizard mode when all your balls drain and its over. Kind of like the end of the game

It's the clip that plays when you beat the Boogeyman wizard mode.

#16358 5 months ago

If any of you are interested and use Facebook hop over and follow my page "Spooky Luke". I am going to start sharing a bunch of the behind the scenes photos of the game design and engineering of Halloween, Ultraman, Scooby Doo and I have even been known to drop the occasional future title hint. I'll try to share something cool atleast once or twice a week that nobody has had the chance to see.

Screenshot_20231114_123544_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20231114_123544_Facebook (resized).jpg
#16359 5 months ago

Hmm no pumpkin scoop, and instead no subways at all on the right, instead a return wireframe from the middle PF

#16360 5 months ago

…nm

#16361 5 months ago

One of my drop targets in the 3-bank set broke. Any instructions on how to replace that? I have a spare one from Spooky but I'm not sure how the mech comes off or apart. Any advice/ tips?

#16362 5 months ago
Quoted from gregcube:

One of my drop targets in the 3-bank set broke. Any instructions on how to replace that? I have a spare one from Spooky but I'm not sure how the mech comes off or apart. Any advice/ tips?

I got the mech off. Is there a recommended tool to remove these? Or do I just finger it?

IMG_20231114_191022176 (resized).jpgIMG_20231114_191022176 (resized).jpg
#16363 5 months ago
Quoted from m4tt:

It's been requested before but is it possible to add flipper power adjustments? I've got an early build game and the flippers are super powerful at startup, but fade pretty quickly. The last game I played at the end I was struggling to make it up the center ramp. Some of that was because I had to play the sanitarium 5-6 times to finally beat it and get into the boogeyman wizard mode. Kept choking on the last shot.

And that last game I played was pretty long and I don't think I saw any bugs/issues, not even that blood store / mode selection display issue. I think I was one mode away from getting to the new wizard mode.

Maybe at some point we could get high scores for the individual modes or other things (blood collector)?

#16364 5 months ago
Quoted from gregcube:

I got the mech off. Is there a recommended tool to remove these? Or do I just finger it?[quoted image]

Needle-nose pliers, a small flat-head screwdriver, or both.

#16365 5 months ago
Quoted from KSP1138:

Needle-nose pliers, a small flat-head screwdriver, or both.

Sweet! Back in business. That was a lot easier than I expected.

#16366 5 months ago

Oops. Another issue. I guess after 3000+ games things start to break, or perhaps I broke something when replacing the drop target. In any case I've lost the sanitarium lights and the light strip below, plus two lights on the upper playfield: spinner progress middle top (111) and spinner progress top (112). I thought I found the problem in that I traced wires and found a broken RGB connector board (the clip fell off). I replaced that but still no lights. The connecting wires lead under the middle pf and upper pf. I'm guessing I'll need to remove those to get access to the RGB boards underneath. Looks painful. Any tips (or maybe a video?) for removing the upper and middle pf? Or should I be looking elsewhere to fix the lights? Thanks in advance.

#16367 5 months ago

I would check the red board on the underside of the playfield. There are 2 led connections you can make sure they are plugged in.

#16368 5 months ago
Quoted from gregcube:

Oops. Another issue. I guess after 3000+ games things start to break, or perhaps I broke something when replacing the drop target. In any case I've lost the sanitarium lights and the light strip below, plus two lights on the upper playfield: spinner progress middle top (111) and spinner progress top (112). I thought I found the problem in that I traced wires and found a broken RGB connector board (the clip fell off). I replaced that but still no lights. The connecting wires lead under the middle pf and upper pf. I'm guessing I'll need to remove those to get access to the RGB boards underneath. Looks painful. Any tips (or maybe a video?) for removing the upper and middle pf? Or should I be looking elsewhere to fix the lights? Thanks in advance.

As you probably know, LEDs are daisy chained so check to see which is the last LED lit. I had the LED under the middle PF that is directly over the right orbit go out. Appeared that strong shots may have allowed the ball to impact the LED pin connection causing the mount to fail. After replacing the broken LED I hot glued a thick, flexible piece of vinyl to protect that LED from further ball impact. Good luck.

#16369 5 months ago
Quoted from zebpin61:

As you probably know, LEDs are daisy chained so check to see which is the last LED lit. I had the LED under the middle PF that is directly over the right orbit go out. Appeared that strong shots may have allowed the ball to impact the LED pin connection causing the mount to fail. After replacing the broken LED I hot glued a thick, flexible piece of vinyl to protect that LED from further ball impact. Good luck.

Sounds like the same LED I had go out, same location; the clip was very loose and when I touched it, it came completely off the board. I replaced that LED board but the lights didn't come back on. However! Just now when messing with it again. Under the upper pf, I managed to get my finger in there and must have touched the right wire/connector or something because everything just came back on!

#16370 5 months ago

What do you guys use to clean the ball tracks on Halloween? It seems so much worse on this game then my others and I had never found a good way to remove them.

#16371 5 months ago
Quoted from finnflash:

What do you guys use to clean the ball tracks on Halloween? It seems so much worse on this game then my others and I had never found a good way to remove them.

If 91% isopropyl doesn't take it off, try some Novus 2 on a clean rag, then alcohol to get rid of residue, then wax.

I try to use Novus sparingly, since it is a very fine abrasive.

RussM

#16373 5 months ago
Quoted from finnflash:

If Alcohol doesn't work, I usually buff them out using a paste wax and wipe clean immediately.
Don't let it sit and dry like you were waxing the PF. Just buff it and wipe it clean immediately.

Then you can wipe any excess wax off with alcohol (if you don't wax your PFs).

If that doesn't work, you need a mild compound like Novus 2. But, I rarely use Novus 2 as the wax works fine.

#16374 5 months ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

If 91% isopropyl doesn't take it off, try some Novus 2 on a clean rag, then alcohol to get rid of residue, then wax.
I try to use Novus sparingly, since it is a very fine abrasive.
RussM

Simple Green removes 9/10 ball trails.

If there’s a full line still showing after that, you’ll have to buff it with some 3M/Novus 2

rd

#16375 5 months ago

Thanks for all the responses, I will try these tonight.

#16376 5 months ago

Even if you remove the trail mark it will come back in no time, well mine does anyway.

#16377 5 months ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Even if you remove the trail mark it will come back in no time, well mine does anyway.

What rubbers are you using? Black makes it dirty faster

#16378 5 months ago

Had my best game last night. This pin is shooting so smooth and Knock on wood, issue free! Epic pinball machine!!

#16379 5 months ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

What rubbers are you using? Black makes it dirty faster

The ones that came with it, not sure if the trail marks are dirt or a mark in the clear from the ball as it’s not easy to remove so think the latter.
Will have a good look next time I clean it.
I’m sure I read some other some people were finding it hard to remove the ball trail marks.

#16380 5 months ago

I've rubbed off the ball trails with my finger, the coating on spooky pins is great.

#16381 5 months ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

I've rubbed off the ball trails with my finger, the coating on spooky pins is great.

I used to spray cars etc. They definitely wouldn’t rub off with my finger, I had to get out some pro polishing compound.
Not complaining as the clear is rock hard and smooth, just not seen what I’m seeing before on other pins.

I think it might be more prominent because the clear is so thick.

#16382 5 months ago

Any one have an issue with led lighting from 75-147, i have no lights turning on….sigh just one more issue with this pin…Player 1 tech and I worked on it for a few hours again yesterday…have already changed the pintaur board twice this is the second new board…. We think we may need to take off the upper playfields to resolve diagnos. But thought maybe someone had some ideas where to look. Yes we called Spooky they are closed on Fridays…my tab on repairs for this machine are now over $2k invested in repair costs getting to this stage….everyone loves the machine at half speed…will be great when we can get it to 100%. opening a ticket monday. But thought i would try here.

Help much appreciated.

#16383 5 months ago
Quoted from Requis:

Any one have an issue with led lighting from 75-147, i have no lights turning on….sigh just one more issue with this pin…Player 1 tech and I worked on it for a few hours again yesterday…have already changed the pintaur board twice this is the second new board…. We think we may need to take off the upper playfields to resolve diagnos. But thought maybe someone had some ideas where to look. Yes we called Spooky they are closed on Fridays…my tab on repairs for this machine are now over $2k invested in repair costs getting to this stage….everyone loves the machine at half speed…will be great when we can get it to 100%. opening a ticket monday. But thought i would try here.
Help much appreciated.

If it's on the exposed led's, most likely the first one that doesn't light was damaged. Spooky will send you a new light strip

#16384 5 months ago

As finnflash said, light chain 2 starts at the pinotaur goes straight to light number 70 which is the first one on the upper strip, on the right. Do you have five lights working (70,71,72,73,74) on that strip? If actually none of them are working, I'd check the plug into the pinotaur.

However, if you do have five working, the problem should be right after light 74, either there'll be a break in one of the connecting wires in the strip, or there's something wrong with 75. Replacing the strip is best, but to test, you could solder/clip some jump wires over 75 to check/get all the others working.

It's a strange place to have a fault as that's not an easy place for a ball strike.

#16385 5 months ago

Has anyone else been having issues with orbit shots not registering since (I think) v1.13? Might be a coincidence, but I noticed when I went from v1.12 to v.1.14. It has made Death in the Driver's Seat unplayable.

#16386 5 months ago
Quoted from shaunsquid:

Has anyone else been having issues with orbit shots not registering since (I think) v1.13? Might be a coincidence, but I noticed when I went from v1.12 to v.1.14. It has made Death in the Driver's Seat unplayable.

Have you tested the orbit switches by putting the game into switch test; slow and fast moving balls, both directions

I had one fail because the plastic bracket for the switch went squirrely

RM

#16387 5 months ago
Quoted from shaunsquid:

I have also been experiencing this in v.1.14. The left orbit never registers the Death in the Driver’s Seat shot but it does trigger the knife sound.

#16388 5 months ago
Quoted from shaunsquid:

I had issues with some shots in 1.12, but so far 1.14 every orbit shot has been working for me. Also the orbit switch you hit off the sanitarium exit is now working in Death in the Driver's seat.

#16389 5 months ago
Quoted from m4tt:

As finnflash said, light chain 2 starts at the pinotaur goes straight to light number 70 which is the first one on the upper strip, on the right. Do you have five lights working (70,71,72,73,74) on that strip? If actually none of them are working, I'd check the plug into the pinotaur.
However, if you do have five working, the problem should be right after light 74, either there'll be a break in one of the connecting wires in the strip, or there's something wrong with 75. Replacing the strip is best, but to test, you could solder/clip some jump wires over 75 to check/get all the others working.
It's a strange place to have a fault as that's not an easy place for a ball strike.

Will check that today, player 1 is back next week, coordinating another call with tech support.

#16390 5 months ago

Anyone come up with a better way to secure the knife to the topper motor? I kinda stripped the threaded hex, and of course when trying to screw it back in, so I dont lose it until I had a better option, it dropped and I lost it. Michael needs his knife back.

20231118_200443 (resized).jpg20231118_200443 (resized).jpg
#16391 5 months ago

A local Ace Hardware store will have those little set screws. But because they are so small and easy to strip, I think I would replace the set screw with a regular phillips-head machine screw of the same size. It will be easier to install and secure the collar to the motor shaft.

#16392 5 months ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Have you tested the orbit switches by putting the game into switch test; slow and fast moving balls, both directions
I had one fail because the plastic bracket for the switch went squirrely
RM

Thank you for this. Just tested and looks like the right orbit isn't registering consistently. Especially on faster balls. Will take a look at it now.

#16393 5 months ago
Quoted from John_C:

A local Ace Hardware store will have those little set screws. But because they are so small and easy to strip, I think I would replace the set screw with a regular phillips-head machine screw of the same size. It will be easier to install and secure the collar to the motor shaft.

Thank you sir!

#16394 5 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Anyone come up with a better way to secure the knife to the topper motor? I kinda stripped the threaded hex, and of course when trying to screw it back in, so I dont lose it until I had a better option, it dropped and I lost it. Michael needs his knife back.
[quoted image]

Replace the screw and add loctite. Over time and use it seems like it will often just undo itself so loctite that sucker in.

Quoted from shaunsquid:

Thank you for this. Just tested and looks like the right orbit isn't registering consistently. Especially on faster balls. Will take a look at it now.

On a fast ball the ball can hug the right wall and not make enough contact with the rollover switch, I had similar issue at one point, so had to adjust the wire on the switch to be a bit more sensitive to the slight touch and it's now working great. Using slow mo video I could see the ball would just clip the edge of the rollover switch but apparently not pushing it in enough to register on those fast balls.

#16395 5 months ago

Fitted an IPS screen today, the difference is huge. All from Amazon.
Real black blacks at any angle, also removed the clear screen protector as the screen is Matt black.
Still on default screen settings but looks perfect, might mess with them.

Edit: It even makes your keys stand out more

74488F45-E43B-41A7-802B-A8847EA1046A.jpeg74488F45-E43B-41A7-802B-A8847EA1046A.jpegD6F0DC5C-3D58-439B-ACFD-8827A80DADA5.jpegD6F0DC5C-3D58-439B-ACFD-8827A80DADA5.jpeg

#16396 5 months ago

It will look even better without a key in the way

#16397 5 months ago

Keyless
Looks much blacker than the original, no screen protector fitted. Looks much better, no reflections.

B6080F30-97AC-47A7-91F4-3F8E22690006 (resized).jpegB6080F30-97AC-47A7-91F4-3F8E22690006 (resized).jpeg
#16398 5 months ago

Are the parts listed out somewhere?

Quoted from Lostcause:

Fitted an IPS screen today, the difference is huge. All from Amazon.
Real black blacks at any angle, also removed the clear screen protector as the screen is Matt black.
Still on default screen settings but looks perfect, might mess with them.
Edit: It even makes your keys stand out more
[quoted image][quoted image]

#16399 5 months ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

It will look even better without a key in the way

Just for “pinside”, I put all the headbox keys in all my 100+ pins.

Then I invited 90 people around for three days to play them all non stop. 8am to 11pm, three days in a row. Literally thousands of games played.

And guess what!

Nobody gave a toss about the keys.

rd

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Trade
Machine - For Trade
O'fallon, MO
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Monson, MA
Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Gilbert, AZ
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

There are 16,966 posts in this topic. You are on page 328 of 340.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/halloween-owners-threadhes-coming-home/page/328 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.