IMG_0517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0701 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0513 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1404 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1405 (resized).JPEG
IMG_7706 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 94 of 219.
#4651 5 years ago

The mode insert will stay lit once played. You don't have to actually complete it. The Completed All Scenes insert in the scarf should only light when you gone through all the modes. LEDs can ghost in specific inserts at specific times in the game. It might be related to another insert being lit or just part of the game. Ghosting is where there is some voltage on the circuit that will light an LED because it uses less voltage than an incandescent. You can quickly determine if it's a ghosting issue by trying an incandescent bulb or non ghosting LED.

I've run into ghosting problems like that where it is only one or two inserts. On a couple of occasions, my Shadow ghosts and flickers real bad on a bunch of inserts. It's weird because I will swap one bulb for an incandescent and the problem goes away. I can then put back in the same LED and everything will still be fine.

#4652 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

The mode insert will stay lit once played. You don't have to actually complete it. The Completed All Scenes insert in the scarf should only light when you gone through all the modes. LEDs can ghost in specific inserts at specific times in the game. It might be related to another insert being lit or just part of the game. Ghosting is where there is some voltage on the circuit that will light an LED because it uses less voltage than an incandescent. You can quickly determine if it's a ghosting issue by trying an incandescent bulb or non ghosting LED.
I've run into ghosting problems like that where it is only one or two inserts. On a couple of occasions, my Shadow ghosts and flickers real bad on a bunch of inserts. It's weird because I will swap one bulb for an incandescent and the problem goes away. I can then put back in the same LED and everything will still be fine.

Thanks,
I'll give it a shot, it's not really messing anything up for me was more just curious.

#4653 5 years ago

New owner here just starting to delve into this great game and have 2 questions for now:

1. Besides picking the skill shot, what purposes to the diverters have? I don't seem a reason to be adjusting them but I'm guessing I am missing something.

2. Shots to the left ramp with the ball diverted to the right often end up flying off the habitrail as there is not a 'side' rail which would be keeping it in place. I guess slow rollers would be fine but those shots have some pretty decent velocity being so close to the flippers.

Thanks. So far loving this game.

#4654 5 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

1. Besides picking the skill shot, what purposes to the diverters have? I don't seem a reason to be adjusting them but I'm guessing I am missing something.

Here is copy and paste from the rule book. It's an awesome timed mode.

Vengeance

On either side of each ramp diverter is a ring. At the start of a game all rings will flash. When you shoot a ramp, the ring on the same side of the diverter that the ball went, will become solidly lit (each ring is worth 3 million). Complete all four rings to start possibly the coolest mode since Big Foot Hot Foot: Vengeance.

Vengeance is a cool 30 second mode where each ring is worth 5, 7, 9, 11, etc million. Completing all four awards 50 million, and restarts the timer. There is a very friendly grace period at the end of the mode, so you can still score Vengeance after the sound/music has stopped.

If you start Vengeance as part of a combo (ie: the combo collects the last ring), you start Combo Vengeance where each ramp is worth 10 million.

If, during Vengeance or Combo Vengeance, you get all rings in a row (ie: a combo), you are awarded 100 million as a Super Vengeance.

#4655 5 years ago

Wow, that is cool

That makes it pretty important to keep the ball on the habitrail I mentioned. Any secrets on that?

#4656 5 years ago

Wow, that is cool
That makes it pretty important to keep the ball on the habitrail I mentioned. Any secrets on that?

One thing that helps (sometimes a little, sometimes a lot) is loosening the habittrail, sliding it as far to the right as possible and re-tightening.

#4657 5 years ago

Thanks for the ideal I did that with some success...

However, I think my main issue is a little more involved after more investigation. My "left ramp right switch made" switch does not register on a regular basis. I adjusted it a little and it works 100% in test mode when I roll a ball up the ramp.

However, in game play cleanly struck left ramp shots diverting the ball to the right results in the ball flying OVER the switch. These same shots are the ones more likely to jump the habitrail. I noticed this while watching the switch at eye level. Is this a known issue and are there any known remedies to this situation?

Thanks!

Darin

#4658 5 years ago

Replace the switch with a straight one.

#4659 5 years ago

Thanks for the ideal I did that with some success...
However, I think my main issue is a little more involved after more investigation. My "left ramp right switch made" switch does not register on a regular basis. I adjusted it a little and it works 100% in test mode when I roll a ball up the ramp.
However, in game play cleanly struck left ramp shots diverting the ball to the right results in the ball flying OVER the switch. These same shots are the ones more likely to jump the habitrail. I noticed this while watching the switch at eye level. Is this a known issue and are there any known remedies to this situation?
Thanks!
Darin

A while back I installed a switch with a 3" flat actuator. It almost always triggers. Pinball Life sells 'em. If your ball is flying off the habittrail, it doesn't help much with that.

IMG_2315.JPGIMG_2315.JPG
#4660 5 years ago

I'm needing to order a few things anyhow, so I'll add that to the order. Thanks.

#4661 5 years ago

Man, I’m loving this game! Waaay under rated imo. $4500 got me a nice example with nickel powder coating, pin stadium lights, color DMD, alt trans light, ocd led board. Cab has a few dings but playfield very nice.

2FC9C287-D129-4873-86D4-D07F78FFEB97 (resized).jpeg2FC9C287-D129-4873-86D4-D07F78FFEB97 (resized).jpeg787B3E1D-A661-4922-9C31-4581CA63E8CA (resized).jpeg787B3E1D-A661-4922-9C31-4581CA63E8CA (resized).jpegB7D26070-BD18-4CC2-8293-7B81C549C71B (resized).jpegB7D26070-BD18-4CC2-8293-7B81C549C71B (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#4662 5 years ago

Man, I’m loving this game! Waaay under rated imo. $4500 got me a nice example with nickel powder coating, pin stadium lights, color DMD, alt trans light, ocd led board. Cab has a few dings but playfield very nice.

Congtatulations. Shadow is easily one of the top 5 most underrated pins.

#4663 5 years ago

Damn, those Grips look Great! That was my last, Best pair of those!

Enjoy!

#4664 5 years ago

You did those? Yeah, looks awesome.

I’m going to need to shell out the $2.99 to rent the movie sometime. I saw it when it came out but never since and don’t remember anything about it.

#4665 5 years ago

You did those? Yeah, looks awesome.

A Good friend and Artist did the work.....we enjoy the reward!
I found myself just walking by the game, and grabbing the gun...feels great!

#4666 5 years ago

Hello Group, Just picked up my first SHADOW and am loving it. Thinking of installing an LED kit. Which kits do you think works best in it. Or do I purchase individual LEDS, if so, does anyone have a list of bulbs and locations? Appreciate any thoughts on the subject from Pinsiders who have LED their Shadow. Thanks, Brad

#4667 5 years ago
Quoted from Demoman1:

Hello Group, Just picked up my first SHADOW and am loving it. Thinking of installing an LED kit. Which kits do you think works best in it. Or do I purchase individual LEDS, if so, does anyone have a list of bulbs and locations? Appreciate any thoughts on the subject from Pinsiders who have LED their Shadow. Thanks, Brad

Search through some of my earlier posts. I do a detailed breakdown of different light styles, across lit posts, cool and warm lighting. I recommend Comet Pinball lights, and doing your own lighting as opposed to going with a kit.

#4668 5 years ago
Quoted from Demoman1:

Look around at pics, and get some ideas what you like.
Youll have 3 shades of white for the GI...Personal Taste.
If you want to play with any other colors in GI, why not try.
Best bet is Comet Twin 2835 in Frosted Sunlight, IMO.
Same for the inserts, color match, but the color you use for the Modes, people vary the most.
Thats it....easy, done and fast....not a hard game to LED at all.

#4669 5 years ago

I agree with OLDPINGUY, easiest of my pins to change to LED. I used the Cointaker Premium non-Ghosting LED kit and have added/exchanged some bulbs like Comet's Purple Passion. Buying a kit is the most expensive way to go, but it makes it much easier - especially if you have never done something like this before. I think The Shadow is one of the 90's pins that really benefits from the LED bulbs.

#4670 5 years ago
Quoted from Demoman1:

Don’t buy a kit.

I prefer Comet dual SMD. I have sunlight white with a few accents in ice blue and red. Most like cool white, and I think warm white is too yellow. Sunlight strikes a nice balance while retaining some 90s charm.

I would buy a few 25 pack lights in cool white, red and blue. Don’t use too much color, just a few strategically placed accents or you’ll have clown puke. Let the art speak for itself.

Enjoy!

#4671 5 years ago
Quoted from Burley9043:

I agree with OLDPINGUY, easiest of my pins to change to LED. I used the Cointaker Premium non-Ghosting LED kit and have added/exchanged some bulbs like Comet's Purple Passion. Buying a kit is the most expensive way to go, but it makes it much easier - especially if you have never done something like this before. I think The Shadow is one of the 90's pins that really benefits from the LED bulbs.

I agree - don't buy kits.

My shadow looks awesome - I used cool whites, reds, purples, blues. and instead of green and yellow and oranges - use only warm white (for inserts).
Oh sorry I put two warm whites in slingshots (1 warm white and one blue for each)

#4672 5 years ago

I think warm white looks better, it better reflects the art deco era the film takes place in.

#4673 5 years ago

Yeah, avoid kits. I also like warm white bullet lights for all the GI lights. I'll admit I color matched my inserts but, if I was to do it again, I wouldn't bother. Just get a pack of natural white for inserts and you you'll be good to go. This is all personal preference and I see the why people do it but, I'd suggest not trying to add colored bulbs all over the place. I suggest sticking with warm white to show off the artwork as intended.

Also see:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails

#4674 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Yeah, avoid kits. I also like warm white bullet lights for all the GI lights. I'll admit I color matched my inserts but, if I was to do it again, I wouldn't bother. Just get a pack of natural white for inserts and you you'll be good to go. This is all personal preference and I see the why people do it but, I'd suggest not trying to add colored bulbs all over the place. I suggest sticking with warm white to show off the artwork as intended.
Also see:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails

Here are some of my earlier posts where I explore the different lighting approaches on Shadow:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/48#post-2860137
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/48#post-2863623
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/48#post-2880013

#4675 5 years ago

great photos !!!

boy what an awesome game is this.
I got to do to something to light up Battlefield as it is too dark :/

mine looks like this :

IMG_20180627_213628 (resized).jpgIMG_20180627_213628 (resized).jpgIMG_20180627_213646 (resized).jpgIMG_20180627_213646 (resized).jpgIMG_20180627_213706 (resized).jpgIMG_20180627_213706 (resized).jpg
#4676 5 years ago

The one I recently bought has PinStadium. That is my only pin with hat but I can say it works great on Shadow.

#4677 5 years ago

The one I recently bought has PinStadium. That is my only pin with hat but I can say it works great on Shadow.

is pinstadium enough for lightning up battlefield if you play in a dark room?
I have ordered 2 pcs of reflector spotlights - I will try to add them to the battlefield, that should be enough.

#4678 5 years ago

Here are pics of the stadium lighting I made for Shadow - actually make it for all my games - but the results on Shadow are exceptional. The entire playfield is well lit evenly so you can clearly watch the ball get thrown behind the wall and the Battlefield is evenly lit. I see guys installing all sorts of spotlights and LED strips to try and light the Battlefield with not so great results.

The stadium lights will also reduce the glare from the translite if you have it bursting with rays of light from LEDs (like the photos a few posts up). Not sure how that game can be played with the bright glare from the translite reflecting on the glass?

My inserts are LED but the GI is still incandescent bulbs because you don't need the LEDs to help light the playfield. So the GI will still fade and the GI looks WAY better with normal bulbs anyway.

20180523_192640 (resized).jpg20180523_192640 (resized).jpg20180523_192644 (resized).jpg20180523_192644 (resized).jpg
#4679 5 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Here are pics of the stadium lighting I made for Shadow - actually make it for all my games - but the results on Shadow are exceptional. The entire playfield is well lit evenly so you can clearly watch the ball get thrown behind the wall and the Battlefield is evenly lit. I see guys installing all sorts of spotlights and LED strips to try and light the Battlefield with not so great results.
The stadium lights will also reduce the glare from the translite if you have it bursting with rays of light from LEDs (like the photos a few posts up). Not sure how that game can be played with the bright glare from the translite reflecting on the glass?
My inserts are LED but the GI is still incandescent bulbs because you don't need the LEDs to help light the playfield. So the GI will still fade and the GI looks WAY better with normal bulbs anyway.

Can you light only certain areas with the stadium lighting? Or is it the whole pin or none of it?

#4680 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Can you light only certain areas with the stadium lighting? Or is it the whole pin or none of it?

Sure, just black out sections of the LED strips with electrical tape or whatever.

#4681 5 years ago

My shadow is the only one I’ve ever seen so I have limited experience but I cannot imagine the lighting without the PinStadium.

#4682 5 years ago

I just added an led strip over the backboard and spot lights added to the 2 slings and one for sanctum at right ramp left corner. Cost about $30. my game is lit up enough to play in the dark which I do. Also it is a must to have Aurich's translite and speaker panel. You can do all this for $100 less than pin stadium lighting.

shadow 4 (resized).jpgshadow 4 (resized).jpgshadow 5 (resized).jpgshadow 5 (resized).jpg
#4683 5 years ago
Quoted from wolfy:

I just added an led strip over the backboard and spot lights added to the 2 slings and one for sanctum at right ramp left corner. Cost about $30. my game is lit up enough to play in the dark which I do. Also it is a must to have Aurich's translite and speaker panel. You can do all this for $100 less than pin stadium lighting.

You can DIY the stadium lighting like I do. Under $40 for stadium lighting, no spotlights or other LED strips to add. No wiring into the game's wiring either because I plug the 12v power supplies from the stadium lighting strips into the service outlet, not the game's 12v or anything. Done and done with the entire playfield lit up evenly.

#4684 5 years ago

very cool how do I make one.

#4685 5 years ago
Quoted from wolfy:

very cool how do I make one.

Lots of great ideas and examples in this thread. You can search my name in the thread and see what I did.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poor-mans-stadium-lighting/page/7#post-4465596

#4686 5 years ago

Well I just got Aurich 's translite package...and it looks gorgeous! I'm just missing the actual machine to put it in, lol.

Hopefully I'll be part of this club in the near future.

#4687 5 years ago
Quoted from wolfy:

I build an LED into the battlefield paddle and placed one spotlight on the right sling. The one works on this game since the light can be made to blend in perfectly with the cape on the playfield.

Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Well I just got aurich 's translite package...and it looks gorgeous! I'm just missing the actual machine to put it in, lol.
Hopefully I'll be part of this club in the near future.

Are there still The Shadows out there with the original backglass?

#4688 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

You may be right, lol. But I think the translite looks amazing and figured the worse case scenario would be to put it in a lit frame somewhere in the house.

#4689 5 years ago

I'm a fan of adding spotlights on darker games.
Here is what I did with my Shadow.

Also added a blue strip on the back left and red on the back right, lit the mode and khan holes, drain hole, and put a socket under the mini playfield to add a bit of purple frosted. For the upper playfield I added two spots with green as it ties into the green on the speaker panel (yes I still have baldwin)
Lastly I added a few red frosted under the sanctum plastics to bring them out, and changed the flashers to red on the brick backboard, and purple on the playfield.

I really recommend mirror blades on this game too, it really opens it up and reflects the color.

20180628_170134 (resized).jpg20180628_170134 (resized).jpg20180628_170147 (resized).jpg20180628_170147 (resized).jpg20180628_170206 (resized).jpg20180628_170206 (resized).jpg

#4690 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

20180525_211353 (2) (resized).jpg20180525_211353 (2) (resized).jpg
#4691 5 years ago

Anyone have one of those green dot stickers to cover up magnet wear?

#4692 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Heck yeah. Different people see things differently. When I look at the two translites, the original looks like it was created by a talented artist. The replacement, not so much. On the original, the art is corny, much like the movie and the in-game callouts. It features most prominently Lamont, the wealthy man-about-town, Margo, the socialite, Khan, the Shadow's archenemy, The Shadow himself... the characters you encounter in the game. I'm not saying I think it's a masterpiece, but I don't hate it. The replacement looks less interesting to me so I never bothered to get one. It's perfectly OK that a lot of people (most people?) see it differently and have other opinions. I will admit, Doug Watson used essentially the same style on Indiana Jones, with Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford) prominently displayed on the translite, and I always liked that translite more than the one he created for The Shadow.

#4693 5 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Heck yeah. Different people see things differently. When I look at the two translites, the original looks like it was created by a talented artist. The replacement, not so much. On the original, the art is corny, much like the movie and the in-game callouts. It features most prominently Lamont, the wealthy man-about-town, Margo, the socialite, Khan, the Shadow's archenemy, The Shadow himself... the characters you encounter in the game. I'm not saying I think it's a masterpiece, but I don't hate it. The replacement looks less interesting to me so I never bothered to get one. It's perfectly OK that a lot of people (most people?) see it differently and have other opinions. I will admit, Doug Watson used essentially the same style on Indiana Jones, with Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford) prominently displayed on the translite, and I always liked that translite more than the one he created for The Shadow.

Harrison Ford isn’t on the Indiana Jones backglass. At least not the Bally Williams Pinball Adventure one.

#4694 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Harrison Ford isn’t on the Indiana Jones backglass. At least not the Bally Williams Pinball Adventure one.

Here's my IJ. The previous owner had it signed by Doug Watson at TPF a few years ago. I guess one could say that the characters rendered on the translite are inspired by the movie. They're not photos of the actors. I think that holds true for The Shadow as well. The translites in the two games are essentially the same style, but I do find the IJ one more interesting. It's art

IMG_4089.JPGIMG_4089.JPG

#4695 5 years ago

So I don't hate the original backglass, but I think this 3-minute "alternative translight" for The Dark Knight might help to show what I dislike about it. The main focus should be on The Shadow, not Lemont.

Untitled (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).jpg

#4696 5 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

I'm a fan of adding spotlights on darker games.
Here is what I did with my Shadow.
Also added a blue strip on the back left and red on the back right, lit the mode and khan holes, drain hole, and put a socket under the mini playfield to add a bit of purple frosted. For the upper playfield I added two spots with green as it ties into the green on the speaker panel (yes I still have baldwin)
Lastly I added a few red frosted under the sanctum plastics to bring them out, and changed the flashers to red on the brick backboard, and purple on the playfield.
I really recommend mirror blades on this game too, it really opens it up and reflects the color.

Why not just PinStadium and be done with it?

#4697 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Congtatulations. Shadow is easily one of the top 5 most underrated pins.

One of the top 5 best pins you mean!

#4698 5 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Anyone have one of those green dot stickers to cover up magnet wear?

This is what i'm lookin' for

magdot (resized).jpgmagdot (resized).jpg
#4699 5 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

This is what i'm lookin' for

Me, too

#4700 5 years ago

Man, I got like 4 of them when I bought em for my last shadow, they gotta be out there!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,927 posts in this topic. You are on page 94 of 219.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/94 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.