IMG_0617 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0618 (resized).jpeg
shadow-repairdone (resized).jpg
IMG_4396 (resized).jpeg
unnamed (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #73 Insert LED bulbs and colors Posted by MnHotRod (10 years ago)

Post #4322 Alternate Shadow Translite and Speaker Panel Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #4328 Shadow Manual Rubber Ring Chart link Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #7873 The Shadow pistol grip info Posted by RobDutch (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sealawyer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4522 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you're not already on my translite waiting list and you're interested shoot me a PM, think I'm close to doing a small run, but be nice to have a couple more people first.

Hope I didn’t miss it!

#4523 5 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Nickel-chrome (Black Chrome) at its finest:

Where did you get the grips?

1 month later
#4587 5 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Working on two Shadows and made stadium lighting for the one on the right. Using a Stern red DMD in the left Shadow and the red looks fantastic actually.

You planning to sell one of those, PoMC? I’ll be in the market for one soon.

#4592 5 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Both will be for sale soon. Deciding which one will get the newly plated wireforms and gold mirror blades. Likely the one on the right just because the left one is a re-import and I know some people are weird about that for some reason.

I don't care about re-import. I'm looking for a cab/head/playfield in NICE condition, functioning 100%. I can shop it & replace whatever. I already have an Aurich translite on order. Love the look of the red DMD. Hadn't seen that before. It goes beautifully with the red in Aurich's design.

#4594 5 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Red is not bad, but if you're making a change to the display, go color DMD.
The color LED on this game looks great, especially the green color in the score numbers.

Hadn't seen the color DMD on this, but just watched the video. Holy CRAP, that looks AMAZING!!! The golds are AWESOME!!!

#4599 5 years ago
Quoted from brett:

Same here, hard to find a nice condition Shadow.

Here’s one not far from you:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/64815

#4600 5 years ago

Oh man, I played The Shadow tonight at Black Cat in DC. TRULY one of the greatest pins ever made!! So many awesome shots, ramps, combos, modes, etc!! This WILL be my next pin!

#4617 5 years ago

Those wooden grips are cool! I wish someone made a faux-ivory set to mimic the guns from the movie...

#4624 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Took me a while to sell the only pearl set I had. There simply isnt enough demand to make 100, and its costly to only make a few.....nasty resin to sand and grind......but if you buy a resin billet, you can make a set...just wear a mask 100% of the time.

Ill confess, I own guns, but dont shoot much, but I love the feel when I grip the wood and pull the trigger on Shadow....its an interesting difference, I guess those more familiar...

Makes sense. Do you have pics of it installed? What do you mean by "resin billet?"

#4626 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

If my memory holds, its a 1911 Colt. This model determines the shape and holes of the grip.
You can order blank rectangles, or shaped pieces of resin poured mother of Pearl from $15-$40 depending on company.
Grinding, sanding, and polishing tools, and outdoors with a mask.

Those look awesome! Are those the ones you made? Someone mentioned modifying existing 1911 grips, which sounds much more reasonable than carving them from scratch from a block of simulated MOP...

#4630 5 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

love the pearl. As the Shadow used long Colt 1911's with pearl handles, I'd go for them.

EXACTLY my thought! Just because I already ordered Aurich's translite, doesn't mean I want to abandon the movie connection altogether.

Here's the gun from the movie, according to http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Shadow,_The:

ShadowLARSilverLongSlide (resized).jpgShadowLARSilverLongSlide (resized).jpg

#4631 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Not to take anything away from Art's wooden grips, but if you wanted Peal ones, you could try contacting Dave at Tombstone gun grips (https://www.tombstonegrips.com/). I ordered some "blank" (no holes) ones and finished them up myself. I didn't ask, but if you send in a tracing or possibly the original Shadow grips he may be willing to do all the work..? Probably not the cheapest option, but as Art mentioned, easier than trying to grind your own down from a block.

Thanks, Lamprey. Wow, his website is seizure-inducing!! Probably worth me sending him a tracing. Cost of a stamp. Of course, I haven't even joined the club yet (planning to in the next month or two)...

Yours look AWESOME, btw! Hope you don't mind my reposting them here, for those just joining.

21c05b17e160e36a2f11e0df20076664d6e6519a (resized).jpg21c05b17e160e36a2f11e0df20076664d6e6519a (resized).jpg
1 week later
#4637 5 years ago

Where was the thread from the guy who was modifying an actual 1911 frame/slide to be the shooter? I can't find it. In addition to looking frikkin' awesome, it would allow for use of stock 1911 grips.

#4638 5 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Where was the thread from the guy who was modifying an actual 1911 frame/slide to be the shooter? I can't find it. In addition to looking frikkin' awesome, it would allow for use of stock 1911 grips.

Never mind, I found it:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/90#post-4296604
4a07cc70c26bfc21e08134d421b10f9be28abb89 (resized).jpg4a07cc70c26bfc21e08134d421b10f9be28abb89 (resized).jpga10bba3799d86487cde0d332dea28a7466fcd585_jpeg (resized).jpga10bba3799d86487cde0d332dea28a7466fcd585_jpeg (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#4696 5 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

I'm a fan of adding spotlights on darker games.
Here is what I did with my Shadow.
Also added a blue strip on the back left and red on the back right, lit the mode and khan holes, drain hole, and put a socket under the mini playfield to add a bit of purple frosted. For the upper playfield I added two spots with green as it ties into the green on the speaker panel (yes I still have baldwin)
Lastly I added a few red frosted under the sanctum plastics to bring them out, and changed the flashers to red on the brick backboard, and purple on the playfield.
I really recommend mirror blades on this game too, it really opens it up and reflects the color.

Why not just PinStadium and be done with it?

4 months later
#4986 5 years ago

Anyone know where I can find cabinet decals (not just the back box ones)?

1 month later
#5120 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I think they both look good. But, I wanted to keep the chrome look as well as what I think the gun used in the movies was like, so kept it chrome.
[quoted image]

Those look amazing!! As close to the movie gun as you can get without chopping up a real 1911 and mounting that!

4 weeks later
#5247 5 years ago

Finally in the club!!
D809DCE3-F832-4C41-8637-D8878E9AEFD1 (resized).jpegD809DCE3-F832-4C41-8637-D8878E9AEFD1 (resized).jpeg
17EB13DB-176F-4D23-91F1-8F9A362660E6 (resized).jpeg17EB13DB-176F-4D23-91F1-8F9A362660E6 (resized).jpeg

#5248 5 years ago

Topper is temporary. Remarkably clean Sanctum...

728E0125-2855-49B7-A30D-AA5BA1C08B62 (resized).jpeg728E0125-2855-49B7-A30D-AA5BA1C08B62 (resized).jpeg
#5251 5 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Welcome!
I have that Sanctum Wall decal too, just never installed it; if you ever have time and it's not too much trouble, would you mind taking a photo of it without the glass on?
Thanks!

Sure, will do! I actually bought jonesjb’s wall decal, before I even owned TS. (Did the same with Aurich’s translite package and the lighted hinge mod.) I do like the dragon one though. The inside walls of mine are pretty scraped up, so I’m going to buy blades of some sort. If I buy the CityScape blades, I’ll definitely install jonesjb’s wall overlay, but if I go with gold or black chrome mirror blades, maybe I’ll leave the dragon.

I wish I could see a side-by-side of each blade option. I’m not normally a fan of mirror blades, but can see how black chrome or gold would work on TS. I’m installing Pinstadium lights, which also might not go well with mirrored walls.

#5253 5 years ago
Quoted from Demoman1:

Here is mine with chrome and brass wireforms, I like it.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Love the brass!! Where’d you get that done? And how much?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5256 5 years ago
Quoted from Demoman1:

Here are a few closeups
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Fantastic!

2 weeks later
#5337 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

This Shadow Cityscape decal run is wrapping up and I have a couple remaining. Please PM if interested:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/73433
[quoted image][quoted image]

Love mine! Looks terrific!!!

1BCB21AF-9A1C-4C29-9FAB-1A9770DF25AF (resized).jpeg1BCB21AF-9A1C-4C29-9FAB-1A9770DF25AF (resized).jpeg5912DDA7-4234-4EA6-B1B0-C5A48F6CA972 (resized).jpeg5912DDA7-4234-4EA6-B1B0-C5A48F6CA972 (resized).jpeg
#5374 5 years ago
Quoted from Twister:

You are both already on my interested list

Me too, please!

#5375 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I added color changing flex heads by the buildings in the background.
The Sunlight frosted 2835 wash enough of it out, so that it looks like explosions, or gunfire
far in the background. A White blinking bulb will do same, but I like the subtle affect.
Oh, and a self frosted top only flat top in warm for the street light, or a blinking bulb....
One can add green for the letters, or red for the scarf, but its not a huge difference.[quoted image]

Looks amazing!! Part no.'s?

1 week later
#5401 5 years ago

The light-up headlights on the repro playfield are awesome!

1 month later
#5490 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

You’re very welcome.
I still have a few other decals left if anyone else is interested in buying:

Love mine! Perfect in every way!

2 weeks later
#5607 4 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Just installed my first ColorDMD in my Shadow and it looks awesome!
But I do have a question: there seems to be some delay between animations and sometimes the screen goes black for a second, is this normal?
[quoted image]

I'm with Scoot. Not normal. I also recently installed my first ColorDMD on my TS, and once I got the connector turned around the right way, everything has been perfect since!

#5611 4 years ago
Quoted from damadczar:

That's a good point. I'm running LX-2 I think... I'll burn a more modern (LA-6?) version and try that out.

I have the LED Color-DMD with the latest TS roms and have zero issues.

1 week later
#5638 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Well everyone, looks like I am joining the club pretty soon! Just committed to this one from pinsider weirpinball . I saw this game back in December when I picked up Transformers LE from him, and I told him "Come April, if this is still here, I'll be making another trip."
Looks like I'll be going up there sometime in May...!
Can't beat an original PF clearcoated with that Sanctum looking that nice!
[quoted image]
Cabinet has some "character" to it, and that's fine with me. The real important area, the PF, is imamaculate (throwback to our beloved Baywatch thread), and the game is 100% electrically and mechanically sound with Weirpinball having gone over practically everything.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
You can read more about it here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-the-shadow-4
And for the price critics, I didn't pay that price. Much closer to $4K - with ColorDMD and mirror blades, and those pictures are a bit older than the game's current condition (read: even better).
This has been a dark horse title for quite some time for me, and I am glad to get it home before prices get even more insane ...

Nice! Welcome to the club! I looked for a long time to find one with a beautiful sanctum! Mine is ALMOST as nice as yours. Around $4K for that is excellent, I think. I paid $3800, but no Color DMD (since added) or side blades or Aurich kit (which I already had). My cab is in a bit better shape, perhaps, but that's a relatively easy fix/low priority. Playfield condition is most important to me.

2 weeks later
#5657 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm doing an alt translite package run if anyone is interested and isn't already on my list. Just shoot me a PM.
[quoted image]

LOVE MINE!! AMAZING work, Aurich!!

#5660 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Thanks! Still one of my all time favorite games, didn't know I'd end up spreading the love for it when I bought it as my first pin, but glad it worked out that way.

Now can you PLEASE work with Dan at TiltTopper to design a 3-D (layered) topper to complement your masterpiece?? You’ll LITERALLY sell a thousand of them!! I tried to mock up something with a phurba, but it just looked like the Shadow was getting stabbed in the head...

#5674 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm not much of a topper guy, so I honestly haven't given it any real thought before. Not really interested in any more team ups, kinda soured on that experience, but if I wanted to tackle something like that I'd do my own interactive lighting etc. Toppers just feel like add-ons to me, I prefer mods that are more integrated with the game as a rule. Never say never though, I'll at least think about it for fun, not sure how I'd approach a Shadow topper.

I'm with you on most aftermarket toppers. My TAF came with one, obviously, and I opted for the LE version of the AFMr (for a variety of reasons, not only the AMAZING topper). But Dan's toppers are things of beauty. I have his T2 topper and it looks OEM, and with the dynamic lighting, it's the PERFECT compliment to T2.

Here it is, if you haven't seen it:

I also ordered this one for my AC/DC Premium, since I was so happy with my T2 one. Again, looks OEM, and the 3D/layered effect with the dynamic lighting is just super awesome!

That leaves my TS as my only modern pin without a topper... None on my early-SS or EM machines, obviously. Dan is interested in doing one for TS, but is looking for design ideas.

#5699 4 years ago
Quoted from Stuieb84:

I'm on the Aurich list and can't wait to get mine.
A couple of questions from a new 'the Shadow' devotee (mine arrived 6 days ago):
* are the new mantis ramps worth it?
* if I am to metal plate the ramps and wireframes, does this wear quickly?
* what does this group think about pinblades? do the ones that are available fit this theme?
* what are the best rubbers/silicone for the shadow pinball?
* what colors do you recommend for powdercoating the sides and lock bar? the one that I purchased came with a gold/black, but I am thinking to get it replaced with a metallic blue or purple.
* Any other pearls of wisdom for a newbie shadow owner?
Stuie B

I just ordered the v1 Tilt Graphics blades from Mezel (as part of a larger order). I think they go perfectly with jonesjb's back cabinet sticker (which I love). The inside walls of my cab are pretty banged up, such that they'd need to be filled/sanded/painted to look good again. Covering them up seemed like the better option.

The-Shadow-CityScape-GameBlades-222 (resized).jpgThe-Shadow-CityScape-GameBlades-222 (resized).jpg

I'm thinking about going with brass rails/lockdown bar/legs and wireforms. It will be expensive, no doubt, but brass looks really good on this game (although I didn't want the brass mirror blades), and since I'm never selling this puppy anyway, I don't really care if I won't recoup that cost. I do wonder how long it will last, though. I think plated ramps wouldn't hold up as well as wire forms, but I could be wrong. Pinballplating does sell some plated ramps in brass only (not for TS), and the other ramps they sell are polished. Polishing for ramps seems like the better option.

1 month later
#5889 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

To those interested in my second reprinting of the Shadow Cityscape, the decals have arrived! I've PM'd those on the list directly.
I have some extras so PM me if interested. Here's some feedback on the mod:
https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/jonesjb/feedback[quoted image][quoted image]

LOVE my sticker from you, JB! Where did you get the purple flasher lenses?

4 months later
#6378 4 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I just modified my wire ramp switch. Couldn't stand it any longer. Clear is the way to go in my opinion. It looks very factory if you shape it nicely. Highly recommended. It makes a big difference to your high scores too. [quoted image]

That’s the nicest looking one I’ve seen. Post a tracing of it?

2 weeks later
#6409 4 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

This was one I hand made before having the laser cut and engraved.
[quoted image]
Link to buy.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/87645

Done!

#6416 4 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

Is that a lot where you live? In the states it’s an amazing deal

Yeh, that's about half of what you'd pay in the US for one in nice condition.

1 week later
#6447 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

sealawyer reached out to ask about my bulb configuration in the backbox. For reference, I used 2SMD Comet bulbs and followed the configuration on this post by smiley. I went and found the post so it's easily available:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/23#post-1931151[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Interesting! I thought the color looked similar to smiley’s, but yours didn’t look as bright. Was thinking they might be 1SMDs.

I’m a big fan of PinStadiums—have them on several of my machines. My chief niggle with them was the striping effect on the ramps, which Chris solved with the Omegas. I ordered a set from his first batch but haven’t installed them yet. I was planning to put them on STTNG.

My thought on TS is that since the universe is darker (film noir-ish), it might be better as a darker game (with your perfect distribution of added color). So I figured I wouldn’t add PS lighting to it. Seeing yours now (other than the striping), it looks even better than before, and yours was already the nicest looking TS on Pinside! I might divert the Omegas from STTNG to TS after I completely ripoff your LED scheme for my TS. Hmmm...

#6451 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

If you don't mind drilling out another hole in the backbox and adding another socket, a comet "fire" bulb looks behind the latern.

Too bad they don’t have a flex version of the fire bulb. Then there’d be no need to drill.

#6475 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Just installed the twister metallic black chrome battlefield mod with gold lettering and it looks spectacular. It’s up there with aurich’s translite as one of the top mods for Shadow. It’s subtlety is what makes it ever so beautiful, and classes up an already well designed pin.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Already the nicest TS on Pinside just got a bit nicer! Can't wait to install mine. Sitting in a box along with a 100 other pin mods I've been putting off...

3 weeks later
#6560 4 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

I use color matched 1smd non ghosting in the inserts with varying lens covers and find they work well. I feel the the sunlight and warm white can change the tone of the insert and the same goes for the natural white. Now when we're talking about gi bulbs I'm 100% on board, warm white/sunlight with warm tones and natural white with cool tones.
As for the rubber goes, that's a personal preference but I only use color on the flipper bats, it's trial and error....
[quoted image]

The black flippers look great!

11 months later
#7874 3 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

The pistols used by the Shadow (Alec Baldwin) were highly customized .45 Win Mag LAR Grizzly Pistols. The pistols, named Silver Heat, were custom built by L.A.R. Manufacturing Inc., who built four pistols for the film, backdating their Grizzly to look like an over-sized M1911 by extending the slide and frame.
Source: http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Shadow,_The#LAR_Grizzly_Pistol_.45_Win_Mag
So I'm guessing Colt M1911 or LAR Grizzly gun grips might fit
[quoted image]

Stock 1911 grips won't fit. The holes are different. Lots of custom grip makers online. If you send them a tracing, then can make it out of whatever material you want. My plan is to match the pearl of the screen-used guns.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus
Shooter rods
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits
Electronics
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
7,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals
Flipper parts
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals
Flipper parts
5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sealawyer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club?tu=sealawyer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.