New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 46571)

The Shadow Club

By marsgnu

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7,804 posts
  • 611 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by monkfe
  • Topic is favorited by 210 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,145 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

WPC Power Board - Voltage Test Points (resized).jpg
WPC CPU LEDs (resized).JPG
2F6C7C4C-84BF-449C-971C-00F0231C8BB1 (resized).jpeg
20201126_085544 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
VideoCapture_20201125-175004.jpg
1B2E1624-A46F-46B6-BDDE-F2C129CD2E2F (resized).jpeg
20201125_002039 (resized).jpg
D3AA5F37-B0E9-4157-BC37-C73620EDD300 (resized).jpeg
E1C72A25-849C-4B78-8E48-5577D6F750C3 (resized).jpeg
6CAD49BA-4EC1-4E7E-9F1B-2ED82D01E8B4 (resized).jpeg
E6B2E547-678A-4F13-9405-167E9A12A97B (resized).jpeg
4E5CE2C8-E2C6-48B6-B562-4741C02271F4 (resized).jpeg
Switch Matrix (resized).JPG
IMGP9213 (resized).jpg
WPC MPU - switch connectors (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7804 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 157.
#51 7 years ago

I like the illuminated starpost adjacent to the shooter lane. Nice touch!

#52 7 years ago

I've got a question for all TS owners out there. On The Shadow that was in the game room at my college, the ball would almost always land in the Khan multiball/mode start hole after shooting the left loop and holding the upper right flipper. Mine NEVER does that. What does yours do? Is it supposed to land in that hole and what adjustments could I make to fix that if it is?

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from action76:

I've got a question for all TS owners out there. On The Shadow that was in the game room at my college, the ball would almost always land in the Khan multiball/mode start hole after shooting the left loop and holding the upper right flipper. Mine NEVER does that. What does yours do? Is it supposed to land in that hole and what adjustments could I make to fix that if it is?

A lot depends on the pitch of the game and angle the flipper is at when held. Speed of the shot will also influence it. I don't think it's supposed to work that way and should require hitting the shot with the flipper button, however it's nice sometimes to be able to hold the flipper and happen automatically.

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from action76:

Mine doesn't do that, but I've played Shadows where it does. I think there are a lot of factors involved, including the pitch of the playfield, the strength of the main flippers, the angle of the upper flipper, the type of rubber, etc ...

Edit: Looks like BoJo beat me to it.

Quoted from BoJo:

I don't think it's supposed to work that way and should require hitting the shot with the flipper button ...

Agreed.

#55 7 years ago

josh5859, I really like the colors on your Shadow! How in earth did you accomplish that?? I want my Shadow to grow up to be like your Shadow for sure!

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from vintage4life:

This is easily a top 5 machine in my opinion! Super fast and every mode is awesome! Been to final battle a few times and have yet to finish it. Always a shot away. I will never sell this pin. I was going to send my wires into Mike but after seeing those ramps and diverters all brassed out! That looks great.

I used the Pinbits stainless steel ramp flaps with brass rivets. You will need to sand some of the brass off the rods of the diverters or they will not fit. Use a fine metal sand paper to do this. Don't forget black nickel on the gun and to chrome the trigger.

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from action76:

Mine doesn't do that-in fact, it tends to drain at the left outlane if I hold it down and it's going the right speed.

#58 7 years ago

I had mike do my wireforms, I dropped the ball not doing the ramps and diverters.

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinmeister:

I used the Pinbits stainless steel ramp flaps with brass rivets. You will need to sand some of the brass off the rods of the diverters or they will not fit. Use a fine metal sand paper to do this. Don't forget black nickel on the gun and to chrome the trigger.

Thanks for the info. Def going to do this. Already talking to mike!

Quoted from action76:

Mine does it. All you have to do is adjust the top flipper. Move it forward slightly and test it out a few times. That's how you will get it. I like it that way! It still requires the skill in hitting that left lane quickly.

#60 7 years ago

Hello All,

Nice to see The Shadow Club materialize. I just picked up my Shadow less than a week ago and made a very long haul to get it and bring it home. The machine is exceptionally clean and I was really impressed with the color matched LEDs and rubber.

I really like the brass treatments shared here and will consider that work on my machine in the future.

Aurich, you should join the club. Shadow is such a great game!

Shadow.jpg

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from Special_When_Lit:

Aurich, you should join the club. Shadow is such a great game!

Trying to set up shipping, hopefully I'll be a member in a couple weeks.

#62 7 years ago

Hi guys (and girls)! I have a small prob. One of my standup-targets next to the ramp is broken. The "taget face plate" is snapped in half. Marco and other places sell just the face, but the target is rivited together. Can you take it apart somehow? Has anybody done it? Im real tight with cash so i dont want to buy a whole target.

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from marsgnu:

Hi guys (and girls)! I have a small prob. One of my standup-targets next to the ramp is broken. The "taget face plate" is snapped in half. Marco and other places sell just the face, but the target is rivited together. Can you take it apart somehow? Has anybody done it? Im real tight with cash so i dont want to buy a whole target.

Disassembling the target is easy. You just have to drill out the rivet. The harder part is figuring out a way to rivet it back together.

#64 7 years ago

Just installed LED's in the inserts of my Shadow. Tony Middendorf kindly came over last week to get me started. Watching his process helped me develop my own. I placed an order with PinballBulbs and love the results.

Anybody interested in a breakdown of everything I used? I have it broken down to bay or wedge, color and etc. I could put the breakdown here or create another thread. Might be best to put it here?

#65 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Trying to set up shipping, hopefully I'll be a member in a couple weeks.

Awesome! Let me know how it turns out Aurich. You will probably have yours before I receive mine

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from MnHotRod:

Just installed LED's in the inserts of my Shadow. Tony Middendorf kindly came over last week to get me started. Watching his process helped me develop my own. I placed an order with PinballBulbs and love the results.
Anybody interested in a breakdown of everything I used? I have it broken down to bay or wedge, color and etc. I could put the breakdown here or create another thread. Might be best to put it here?

Yeah Id like to see a breakdown. I have my shadow apart right now and it will help to have everything ready to go when it comes time to put the leds in. Thanks

#67 7 years ago

Could we have some map on how to do the color matching led and rubber -thingy? It looks stunning!!

EDIT: ok, this had already been asked and answered Please post the breakdown!!!

#68 7 years ago

I have an issue on mine. It's the hook right behind the sanctum. It doesn't eject the ball during Shadow MB.

#69 7 years ago

My Shadow Loaded with cointakers Ultra Bright Leds
This game comes alive with leds, especially with an extenal sub, i wired in a 200 watt external sub, this game pumps out so much bass, that I can feel it in my chest while playing the game, talk about adding to the pinball playing experience!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

.....sorry for the sideways pictures, these were uploaded from my cell phone

#70 7 years ago

my shadow arives monday :0)

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

I have an issue on mine. It's the hook right behind the sanctum. It doesn't eject the ball during Shadow MB.

Same here - it apparently related to how the rollovers in the sanctum are bended. It is very difficult to get them into right position to feed the bals to the hook, once its the next ball's turn to be put onto the playfield! Apparently the first rollover should be higher than the rest of them, so that it would push the second ball into the hook, once first ball is released onto the playfield. It is annoying as hell when it does not work, I know!

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from MnHotRod:

If you want to feel free to post it here It will help alot of people (including me) I think.

#73 7 years ago

Breakdown for inserts used below. May make some changes when I receive orders from PinballBulbs and Cointaker. Changes I'm thinking about will be listed at the bottom of this page.

------------------------------------------------------------

THE SHADOW LEDS

NOTE: All LED's are from PinballBulbs.COM (PB) unless specified otherwise. Their LED's appear to be the same as Cointaker Super Brights with the addition of Clear or Frosted globes.

----------

INSERTS:

GREEN:
KHAN: (4) 44/47 - Green Frosted
LOCK: (3) 555 - Green Clear

WHITE:
MONGOL: (1) 555 & (1) 44/47 - Warm White Frosted
PLAIN: (1) 555 - Warm White Frosted
SUPER JACKPOT: (1) 555 - Warm White Clear
SCENES: (6) 555 - Cool White Single (Pinball Life)

RED:
ARROW: (6) 555 & (2) 44/47 - Red Clear
SCARF ROUND: (4) 555 - Red Clear

DARK ORANGE:
JACKPOT: (5) 555 - Orange Clear
EXTRA BALL: (1) 555 - Orange Clear
SHOOT AGAIN: (1) 44/47 - Orange Frosted

LIGHT ORANGE:
START SCENE: (1) 555 - Warm White Clear
WHO KNOWS: (1) 555 - Warm White Clear
FINAL BATTLE: (1) 555 - Warm White Clear
START KHAN MULTIBALL: (1) 555 - Warm White Clear
BATTLEFIELD READY: (1) 555 - Warm White Clear
MINI-PLAYFIELD PLAIN: (10) 555 - Warm White Clear

YELLOW:
MONGOL: (4) 555 & (2) 44/47 - Cool White Single (Pinball Life)
SHADOW LOOP: (1) 44/47 – Cool White Clear

----------

GENERAL ILLUMINATION

(38) 44/47 - YET TO BE INSTALLED

04/10/2013: Possible changes with next batch of LED's from PinballBulbs (PB) and Cointaker (CT).

WHITE:
MONGOL & PLAIN: (2) 555 - Warm White Clear + (1) 44/47 - Warm White Flex Super Bright (CT)
SCENES: (6) 555 - Cool White Frosted

DARK ORANGE:
SHOOT AGAIN: (1) 44/47 - Warm White Flex Super Bright (CT)

YELLOW:
SHADOW LOOP: (1) 555 - Cool White Flex Super Bright (CT)

PHOTOS:

My goal for LED's in the inserts is to stay as close as possible to the look of incandescents, but brighter. The six white scene inserts will get an upgrade to brighter LED's from PinballBulbs. The ten plain inserts in the Battlefield are still incandescent's waiting for LED's to be installed when received. There are also a couple inserts running Cool White Clear that will be replaced with Warm White Clear when received with next order.

NOTE - 04/14/2013: I have not yet addressed General Illumination (GI) with LED's. I'm placing an order for more bulbs from PinballBulbs & Cointaker now. The only LED's installed at the point are (2) 2-LED Cool White CT bulbs in the left drop lane.

Hi-Rez Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mnhotrods/sets/72157633247416516/show/

IMG_4409.JPG

IMG_4418.JPG

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from MnHotRod:

Breakdown for inserts used below. May make some changes when I receive orders from PinballBulbs and Cointaker. Changes I'm thinking about will be listed at the bottom of this page.
The Shadow LEDS
NOTE: All LED's are from PinballBulbs.COM (PB) unless specified otherwise. Their LED's appear to be the same as Cointaker Super Brights with the addition of Clear or Frosted globes.
GREEN:
KHAN: (4) 44/47 - Green Frosted
LOCK: (3) 555 - Green Clear
WHITE:
MONGOL: (1) 555 & (1) 44/47 - Warm White Frosted
PLAIN: (1) 555 - Warm White Frosted
SUPER JACKPOT: (1) 555 - Warm White Clear
SCENES: (6) 555 - Cool White Single (Pinball Life)
RED:
ARROW: (6) 555 & (2) 44/47 - Red Clear
SCARF ROUND: (4) 555 - Red Clear
DARK ORANGE:
JACKPOT: (5) 555 - Orange Clear
EXTRA BALL: (1) 555 - Orange Clear
SHOOT AGAIN: (1) 44/47 - Orange Frosted
LIGHT ORANGE:
START SCENE: (1) 555 - Warm White Clear
WHO KNOWS: (1) 555 - Warm White Clear
FINAL BATTLE: (1) 555 - Warm White Clear
START KHAN MULTIBALL: (1) 555 - Warm White Clear
BATTLEFIELD READY: (1) 555 - Warm White Clear
MINI-PLAYFIELD PLAIN: (10) 555 - Warm White Clear
YELLOW:
MONGOL: (4) 555 & (2) 44/47 - Cool White Single (Pinball Life)
Shadow LOOP: (1) 44/47 – Cool White Clear
04/10/2013: Possible changes with next batch of LED's from PinballBulbs (PB) and Cointaker (CT).
WHITE:
MONGOL & PLAIN: (2) 555 - Warm White Clear + (1) 44/47 - Warm White Flex Super Bright (CT)
SCENES: (6) 555 - Cool White Frosted
DARK ORANGE:
SHOOT AGAIN: (1) 44/47 - Warm White Flex Super Bright (CT)
YELLOW:
Shadow LOOP: (1) 555 - Cool White Flex Super Bright (CT)

Great, Thanks! Do you use led in your GI? Plastics colormatch or just warm white?

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from MnHotRod:

Breakdown for inserts used below. May make some changes when I receive orders from PinballBulbs and Cointaker.

This is perfect for when the time comes for me to put LEDs in mine.

#76 7 years ago

MnHotRod, can you post pics of your Shadow, so we'll know how it will look like?

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from alexk3954:

Awesome! Let me know how it turns out Aurich. You will probably have yours before I receive mine

Hopefully! Trying to get NAVL to set up a pick up time with the seller, but they're lagging. Amusing myself with designing new instruction/free play cards in the meantime. I'll have to test them on Kyle's Shadow.

#78 7 years ago

Recently sold my HUO Shadow idiotically. Worst move ever.

#79 7 years ago

I love my shadow. One of the best games out there. Lots of flow and hard as hell. I keep playing all the time.

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from tpellowe:

Recently sold my HUO Shadow idiotically. Worst move ever.

Tom, I can't believe you sold The Shadow after all the effort you put into finding one.

#81 7 years ago

Yup. Moronic. Weak moment. Slight chance buyer may change his mind - however remote. I'll keep you posted.

#82 7 years ago

So stoked to see this page!!!! My shadow arrives monday as well!!! Ha ha. Maybe we should have another club for the members getting shadow Monday. Ha ha. It would be fun to see pictures of everyone's shadows as they get them unpacked and set up Monday. Who's with me??
CM

#83 7 years ago

Also, wondering if anyone could post a link to where to get some new shines chrome legs???

#84 7 years ago

Pics posted. GI and Translite have not been LED'd yet.

Quoted from Nepi23:

MnHotRod, can you post pics of your Shadow, so we'll know how it will look like?

GI will be Cool White or Warm White.

Quoted from marsgnu:

Great, Thanks! Do you use led in your GI? Plastics colormatch or just warm white?

#85 7 years ago

I got my Shadow yesterday!! Got it all set up, tested and adjusted a few switches and was able to throw down a few games before heading to work!!! I still need to learn the rules etc but I'm really digging the flow and pacing of the game!! The battlefield is really cool!!!

LEDs going in tomorrow!!

image.jpg

#86 7 years ago

Im kind of stuck right now... im am trying to pic and mix a led kit for Translite, GI and inserts. I went to pinballcenter.eu and then i was overwhelmed with choices... anybody done anything like this before?I got Insert help form MnHotRod bot I am mainly confused with the GI because i want to colormatch with the plastics. Anybody have a list of what light they bought?
Thanks

#87 7 years ago

IMHO color matching the plastics (on all tables) is seriously overrated and overdone. What you'll end up with is a too dark Shadow. Color matching inserts is one thing, going all colors on the GI is something else.

It's just lights, and LEDs are cheap, so I wouldn't over think it, you can always change your mind, but my two cents is that too much colored LEDs = too dark playfield and ruined playfield art.

The Shadow I'm buying has been LED'd out already, if it's got that problem that'll be one of the first things I correct, though I think it had a couple spotlights added just to address that problem.

#88 7 years ago

I'd like to know the recipe for Special When Lit's version of color-matched rubbers and leds, but those were apparently already done for him, so we do not have to source for the recipe.

#89 7 years ago

Can we join your Shadow Club?

image.jpg

#90 7 years ago

Does anyone know which is the best sanctum overlay? The one someone put on mine is way to pail its prettymuch white

#91 7 years ago

Does anyone know which is the best sanctum overlay? The one someone put on mine is way to pail its prettymuch white

I think they are all that white color, it looks hideous. I wish someone a could do a better color matching. I just pulled the the decal off mine and am gonna try my hand at the repair. Only problem is I need a decal for the lettering on the sanctum. Is this available? The bottom of a couple letters are worn. I'll post a pic.

IMG_20130419_164937.jpg

#92 7 years ago

Hmm wander if the writing is intact under mine

#93 7 years ago

ebay.com link » Shadow Pinball Machine Sanctum Overlay Decal

This doesn't look too white

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from marsgnu:

This doesn't look too white

Yeah, those are the ones that don't match well. They really aren't white but they are not dark enough gray to match. However I still think it looks better than a worm to the wood sanctum if you have no other option.

#95 7 years ago

Is there anyone here who has repaired the sanctum and has had to redo the lettering and if so how did you go about doing it?

#96 7 years ago

After a good bit of downtime, I've finally got my Shadow at 100%, and have been playing the crap out of it.

What a unique and very good game this is.

#97 7 years ago

I'm still trying to figure out my mini kicker coil prob which is really pushing me off cuz I can't figure it out. So playing mine atm isn't great cuz the balls just roll off the battlefield

#98 7 years ago
Quoted from RudeDogg1:

I'm still trying to figure out my mini kicker coil prob which is really pushing me off cuz I can't figure it out. So playing mine atm isn't great cuz the balls just roll off the battlefield

Is it just not kicking at all? It may be bad optos.

#99 7 years ago

It's not optos it won't fire in solenoid test

#100 7 years ago
Quoted from RudeDogg1:

It's not optos it won't fire in solenoid test

Hmm' I assume you checked fuses? It could just be a bad coil? I'll let others more in the know comment.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
There are 7804 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 157.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside