pasted_image (resized).png
20240418_140558 (resized).jpg
IMG_2009 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2008 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2007 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2003 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2004 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,393 posts in this topic. You are on page 129 of 208.
#6401 2 years ago

This was discussed in the Forum a while back. Answer is both Williams appeared the switch. -probably depending on availability….

#6402 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:STTNG Legs.... originally black? Or chrome?
Mine are black but saw pictures both ways so not sure.

Yes black, just fitted a new set of black legs to mine. Although metallic black would look even better.

#6403 2 years ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

This was discussed in the Forum a while back. Answer is both Williams appeared the switch. -probably depending on availability….

All I know is I got mine new in the box...
Yes, mine also came with the "odd" flipper coils.

#6404 2 years ago

For those who love everything Romulan, culture, ships, attitude, you'll love this HD resolution video for the Romulan Empire Display Mod (located directly behind the Romulan ship on the STTNG pinball playfield.
Enjoy!

#6405 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

There are several STTNG videos on YouTube featuring actual gameplay with various sound packages individuals have created. PinSound not only replaces the actual sound board in the machine, but also replaces all (3) speakers for much better ones. Not only is the sound digital 2.1 stereo, it also provides for an external SUB to be added (very cool), and also provides for an externally mounted remote headphone station with volume control.
Multiple STTNG sound packages can added and are constantly improved.
Probably the most needed and worthwhile upgrade to a STTNG pin.

Don‘t forget the option of adding a shaker to the pin. You can customize everything - switch out the sounds, change volume etc per sound file, add custom shaker effect per soundfile etc. Also, you can run the soundfiles through an audio processor like Audacity, e. g. to enhance dynamics. Drawback: If you take the full package (pinsound board, speakers, headphones station, shaker) you‘re looking at apprx. 750 Euros.

#6406 2 years ago

I’m about to do surgery on my opto harness this weekend. Wondering if someone can get me some pictures to help clean this up.

Normally the subway optos connector (yellow arrow) is routed from the opto board all the way across to the right side of the playfield by the right VUK. Mine is too short. I bought correct color wire to re-route the connector to the usual place.

But I could use some help figuring out how to clean this up to match factory. Can anyone take some closeup pictures of their harness near the opto board? Especially where these wires intersect? It’s probably in the cable clamp.
B9237CE4-590A-4444-8BF8-D816B746D4DB.jpegB9237CE4-590A-4444-8BF8-D816B746D4DB.jpeg

EC898FD1-6F68-4DB5-B330-ED4CCCAB8A0C.jpegEC898FD1-6F68-4DB5-B330-ED4CCCAB8A0C.jpeg

817EB6CA-BE5C-4160-95BF-84BC7431825E.jpeg817EB6CA-BE5C-4160-95BF-84BC7431825E.jpeg

#6407 2 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Or the left, depending on which flipper you hit.

Mine only moves to the right no matter which flipper you hit.

#6408 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

My playfield is fine when in place but kind of a pain to pull out until I get a chance to properly fix the wood rails it slides on.

wait what??? The playfield isn't supposed slide on any wood rails.

#6409 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

wait what??? The playfield isn't supposed slide on any wood rails.

Probably the ones in the lower back part of the cabinet that the playfield slides on before it hooks onto the metal. Mine are messed up and I need to fix those soon. Makes it a PITA to open it up and do any work under the playfield,

#6410 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

I’m about to do surgery on my opto harness this weekend. Wondering if someone can get me some pictures to help clean this up.

This is the only wire harness I don't have detailed pictures of; I'll see what I can find from the original disassembly/reassembly.

Does this help?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6411 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Probably the ones in the lower back part of the cabinet that the playfield slides on before it hooks onto the metal. Mine are messed up and I need to fix those soon. Makes it a PITA to open it up and do any work under the playfield,

Again, the playfield isn't suppose to slide on any wood rails. The two short rails in the back of the cabinet are only there to support the playfield when it's lowered into the cabinet before its locked into the slide rails, and again for removing the playfield once it's unlocked from the slide rails.

The playfield should be held suspended by the rear pins on the side rails and locking brackets when pulled forward in the cabinet allowing it to rais without coming in contact with anything else in the cabinet.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6412 2 years ago

oh heck.... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That's a pretty good wire harness picture also

#6413 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

This is the only wire harness I don't have detailed pictures of; I'll see what I can find from the original disassembly/reassembly.
Does this help?[quoted image]

Yes thanks, that is the best I have to go on this far.

I still need to get a look at the intersection where it all joins together. Tried looking on eBay for an old one for sale and googled around but not much out there on it. I could just get creative but my OCD is kicking in.

#6414 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

oh heck.... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That's a pretty good wire harness picture also

Yep. Damn, I need to do some work on mine now...

#6415 2 years ago

So my pro showed up today and got my machine all fixed up! He brought back the cpu board with the replaced IC and socket, lithium battery (not coin cell type), did the tie back mod for me, and fixed an issue during Romulan mode where my machine was acting funky. There’s one thing that needs to be fixed in addition but I can do that myself. All my wiring with the slingshot switches was fine. I’m a happy camper !

#6416 2 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

So my pro showed up today and got my machine all fixed up! He brought back the cpu board with the replaced IC and socket, lithium battery (not coin cell type), did the tie back mod for me, and fixed an issue during Romulan mode where my machine was acting funky. There’s one thing that needs to be fixed in addition but I can do that myself. All my wiring with the slingshot switches was fine. I’m a happy camper !

Awesome! Now it's time to play and post some scores. Where was the fault that caused U20 to burn up?

#6417 2 years ago
Quoted from RellikJM:

Awesome! Now it's time to play and post some scores. Where was the fault that caused U20 to burn up?

GI voltage got shorted to switch matrix somehow. I’m thinking it was from a lighting mod that I had disconnected and I’m thinking one of those wires touched somewhere it shouldn’t have. I remember being careless that day while trying to adjust the leaf switches for the slingshots. An expensive mistake to be sure. Lesson learned.

#6418 2 years ago

Is there a guide anywhere for rebuilding flippers? That’s next on my to-do for my machine. Flippers need work badly.

#6419 2 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Is there a guide anywhere for rebuilding flippers? That’s next on my to-do for my machine. Flippers need work badly.

https://homepinballrepair.com/pinball-flipper-rebuilding-how-to-fix-and-replace/#rebuilding covers various vendors and ages including WPC. And while Vid's Guide is more on Sys11 flippers it still has some good info and is worth a read https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

#6420 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

https://homepinballrepair.com/pinball-flipper-rebuilding-how-to-fix-and-replace/#rebuilding covers various vendors and ages including WPC. And while Vid's Guide is more on Sys11 flippers it still has some good info and is worth a read https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

Ahh. Perfect. Thank you. I tried researching vids guide but it didn’t look like WPC was covered.

#6421 2 years ago

Question... in the backbox there is a connector with the column 9 Violet/white wire. The playfield-side connector has two black wires in the middle pin. The backbox side connector has nothing in the middle pin.

I thought this was an error in my machine but I see the same in screenshots of other machines.

Why is it like this?

946C0223-5791-4079-A456-9FA4CC73849B.jpeg946C0223-5791-4079-A456-9FA4CC73849B.jpeg

#6422 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Why is it like this?

I remember researching this connection and used to know where those 2 wires landed on the playfield ... all I can say is it made sense at the time and I understood why it was done.

I know it has to do with the 12V as the pin that's not column 9 on the backbox side of the connector is GRY/YEL. This is sent to the destination with no return wire (BLK) so its being pulled from another point on the playfield.

#6423 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I remember researching this connection and used to know where those 2 wires landed on the playfield ... all I can say is it made sense at the time and I understood why it was done.
I know it has to do with the 12V as the pin that's not column 9 on the backbox side of the connector is GRY/YEL. This is sent to the destination with no return wire (BLK) so its being pulled from another point on the playfield.

Looks like it is J118-3, into connector, then out and all the way to the eddy boards. Makes sense since those boards also get +12 from J118. Still interesting they didn’t just run the black wire straight through, they bothered to crimp it in a pin.

#6424 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Question... in the backbox there is a connector with the column 9 Violet/white wire. The playfield-side connector has two black wires in the middle pin. The backbox side connector has nothing in the middle pin.
I thought this was an error in my machine but I see the same in screenshots of other machines.
Why is it like this?
[quoted image]

The black wires in there are just for a splice..(factory).

#6425 2 years ago

question on the ball launch...when ball lock is picked upon opening play, the rear drop target drop and the ball is "locked" the next ball is launched and the drop target is then up and the ball is supposed to kick back and feed the upper right flipper for a shot to the borg ship correct?...mine just seems to drop into the lane guides...I'm guessing I need to ajust the circular ball guide that feeds ball, but wanted to make sure this is the correct way its supposed to work...

#6426 2 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

question on the ball launch...when ball lock is picked upon opening play, the rear drop target drop and the ball is "locked" the next ball is launched and the drop target is then up and the ball is supposed to kick back and feed the upper right flipper for a shot to the borg ship correct?...mine just seems to drop into the lane guides...I'm guessing I need to ajust the circular ball guide that feeds ball, but wanted to make sure this is the correct way its supposed to work...

AFAIK, you would want it to feed the lane guides more often (if I find it is launching hard, a nudge will often make sure the ball goes down a lane), but this will really depend on the pitch of the machine and how well calibrated the launcher is etc. I don't think I would consider either particularly wrong.. the key is you have decent consistent launching power to the drop, which it will hit down.. and then, could either go down a guide, or miss them.. for my set up, most of the time, it will go down a guide which is really what you want IMO.. without that, achieving bonus multiplier levels would be very_ difficult.

#6427 2 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

As far as I'm aware your game is working as expected. The STTNG rules http://pinball.org/rules/startrekthenextgeneration.html states "When the target is up (most of the time) the ball will bounce around and go into a bonus multiplier lane to the bumpers" and this is how mine and others I've played work. Sometimes rather than going through the rollover lanes, the ball can bounce back off the top of a lane guide and into lock (as the drop target was knocked down from the launch) - this is also mentioned in the rules guide "Shoot the right orbit... This locks the ball if it's lit, lights the lock if it isn't (and sometimes locks it anyway; the ball bounces off the target blocking the lock, off the top of one of the lanes, and back up into the lock), and feeds the ball into the lanes and bumpers". So I don't think it's supposed to rebound back around the orbit to the upper flipper.

#6428 2 years ago

Hi Guys - SO I am nearing the end of the refurb….

I had a cannon issue that i think is resolved - well it is working right now - some intermittent connection issue…. When I have a day to look I will investigate (I already replaced the entire cannon cable)

BUT, whenever I play a game, it resets?

I tried a few times - I could get it to reset when I get to shoot a cannon and then the next time i press the right flipper - game resets. Power down and reboot.

Any steer from you guys? Could this just be the 5v circuit? I had hoped that was going to be OK because i swapped to LED’s but i guess that is the AC circuit…

Any advice appreciated.

#6429 2 years ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

I had a cannon issue that i think is resolved - well it is working right now - some intermittent connection issue…. When I have a day to look I will investigate (I already replaced the entire cannon cable)
I tried a few times - I could get it to reset when I get to shoot a cannon and then the next time i press the right flipper - game resets. Power down and reboot.
Any steer from you guys? Could this just be the 5v circuit? I had hoped that was going to be OK because i swapped to LED’s but i guess that is the AC circuit…
Any advice appreciated.

Take a read of https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets - this will help steer you in the right direction to solving the problem

#6430 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

As far as I'm aware your game is working as expected. The STTNG rules http://pinball.org/rules/startrekthenextgeneration.html states "When the target is up (most of the time) the ball will bounce around and go into a bonus multiplier lane to the bumpers" and this is how mine and others I've played work. Sometimes rather than going through the rollover lanes, the ball can bounce back off the top of a lane guide and into lock (as the drop target was knocked down from the launch) - this is also mentioned in the rules guide "Shoot the right orbit... This locks the ball if it's lit, lights the lock if it isn't (and sometimes locks it anyway; the ball bounces off the target blocking the lock, off the top of one of the lanes, and back up into the lock), and feeds the ball into the lanes and bumpers". So I don't think it's supposed to rebound back around the orbit to the upper flipper.

ok great then....thanks...

#6431 2 years ago

Anyone know the part number of this doodad? Having a hell of a time finding it in the BOM.

CF2A4CC3-CBF8-4680-8E7B-D9404B90A07D.jpegCF2A4CC3-CBF8-4680-8E7B-D9404B90A07D.jpeg

#6432 2 years ago
Quoted from Kronlar:

For some reason it looks like previous owner may have replaced subway? Not sure what original looked like or even if new ones are available.
Everything will get checked out though. Right cannon mech seems to be moving slower or just making more noise than left. Need to check that out.

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like Kronlar has the only other STTNG I have seen with a short opto harness where the subway opto connector is on the LEFT of the machine instead of the right. It must have been revised at some point, I wonder why.

#6433 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Anyone know the part number of this doodad? Having a hell of a time finding it in the BOM.

Are you talking about the metal wire form or the broken plastic on top?

#6434 2 years ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

Any advice appreciated.

Put game in test mode... pound away at the flipper buttons...
1) does the game reset?
Answer:
Yes--- +5volt regulator circuitry is failing and can't handle the +50volt spikes from the flippers.
No---- something else is wrong with the game.

#6435 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

All I can say is, "tell'm @zitt".

#6436 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Put game in test mode... pound away at the flipper buttons...
1) does the game reset?
Answer:
Yes--- +5volt regulator circuitry is failing and can't handle the +50volt spikes from the flippers.
No---- something else is wrong with the game.

Brilliant! Tried this - reset after 3 seconds.
so, now I know what to look at. Thanks guys - will go through the pinwiki.

#6437 2 years ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

Brilliant! Tried this - reset after 3 seconds.
so, now I know what to look at. Thanks guys - will go through the pinwiki.

There are a bunch of things you can do but the simplest fix is the removal of the z-connector. It’s on the wiki. My game was resetting all the time. Removed the connector and never had a reset since in about 3 years.

#6438 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Thanks, I didn't even realize it was broken.

My machine looks like this:
IMG_7655 (resized).jpgIMG_7655 (resized).jpg

I googled around to find what should be there, and found the picture I posted in my last post. So I thought I was missing a metal piece, but in fact it is just a broken plastic. Funny both of these machines had a piece of metal stuck there.

IMG_7658 (resized).JPGIMG_7658 (resized).JPG

#6439 2 years ago

Ok. So apart from 5v issue.. when I press start. And shoot a ball into play - my game immediately adds another ball to the catapult and auto fires it. Any ideas?

I installed brand new ball trough opto boards and in test they work fine - all 7 optos.
Catapult switch also tests fine.

#6440 2 years ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

Ok. So apart from 5v issue.. when I press start. And shoot a ball into play - my game immediately adds another ball to the catapult and auto fires it. Any ideas?
I installed brand new ball trough opto boards and in test they work fine - all 7 optos.
Catapult switch also tests fine.

It should load two balls to the vuks thru the subway

#6441 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Yes - they are loaded. All ready to play press start and a ball is loaded into catapult. Press fire and ball is launched to start game and immediately a 2nd ball is loaded and auto fired.

#6442 2 years ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

Yes - they are loaded. All ready to play press start and a ball is loaded into catapult. Press fire and ball is launched to start game and immediately a 2nd ball is loaded and auto fired.

Are all the other opto's working and the ones in the subway?

#6443 2 years ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

Are you sure there are six and not seven balls in the game? Stupid question, but I've seen it happen especially in this game that stages balls.

#6444 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Are you sure there are six and not seven balls in the game? Stupid question, but I've seen it happen especially in this game that stages balls.

Yep - emptied and checked.. I am going to check the remaining optos tomorrow - subway rebuilt already but I will check the other ones underneath the play field…

#6445 2 years ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

You sure the balls are staged in correct place? Coil test and make sure subway diverters are working?

#6446 2 years ago

Note:
I did a repair many years ago on a STTNG.
The game ended up having extra balls in the game.
One of the V.U.K. chute had a thin walled sleeve fitting that was warped.
This warped sleeve caused extra balls to be temporally stuck in the chute.
Make sure the three V.U.K. chutes do not cause balls to get stuck halfway up.

#6447 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Wait, doesn't it load three balls to the Vuks, one to the right cannon, one to the left cannon and one to the left VUK?

#6449 2 years ago

Thanks guys - i will check when I have a moment and come back. I am guessing an opto is the issue… Subway - I swapped the cracked one I had out and all optos and diverters are working 100%.. the machine has all new ramps including subway - all were shot.

#6450 2 years ago

Quick update image: still to do:
1. Polish top half of playfield - I only added the wire ramps to test how it was working
2. Add war bird and Klingon ships - hallmark versions are on my table awaiting some resistors but the hard work is done…
3. Target decals..
3 - replace 2 missing plastics…

Then into the electrics and fix the 5v issue and ball issue!!

This game is taking a while…

C88C07E6-B2C8-4ACC-8983-14D6EB30C270 (resized).jpegC88C07E6-B2C8-4ACC-8983-14D6EB30C270 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.99
$ 9.95
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 85.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 63.95
There are 10,393 posts in this topic. You are on page 129 of 208.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/129?hl=oradke and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.