IMG_1999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240414_092939 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg
IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,370 posts in this topic. You are on page 133 of 208.
#6601 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I thought Patofnaud did a more than fair explanation.
What isn't clear?
As the designer of the KBOP WingLEDs; I can explain why there is an issue... but not specifically why the OCD outputs incompatible voltages.

He laid it out clearly with he older GI ocd board. Some mention of the newer boards being different occurred..then somebody mentioned this bypass could happen directly from the wiring block in the lower cabinet which would be great.

Just want a bit of a dummy’s tutorial on that.

#6602 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Hey does anyone know where this ramp guide goes?

99.99% sure it should be installed like this: It keeps fast moving balls from flying off the rail.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6603 2 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

Speaking of OCD boards and STTNG compatibility , I asked a question and need help in this other thread regarding bypassing the GI ocd board’s 5v output for the Klingon Bird of Prey Mod. Any clarity is appreciated.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-mixing-gi-ocd-and-kbop-mods-issue

I would light all mods with external power, and not use the machine at all. Hallmark ships do NOT all use the same power btw. Much discussion on this topic has been previously posted with the proper advice. So a search on the topic.

#6604 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

I would light all mods with external power, and not use the machine at all. Hallmark ships do NOT all use the same power btw. Much discussion on this topic has been previously posted with the proper advice. So a search on the topic.

Agree - get a separate Power block. They cost $20 so also one of the cheapest mods out there... You can get one with dual power output and check to see what you need for the Hallmarks machines you own..

It's a 28 year old game and the power supply and when new, there was just enough to power to drive what was in there 28 years ago... If you swap to LED'S, you free up some bandwidth for a couple of mods maybe.

I have had power issues with Williams, Gottlieb and Data East and unless you want to keep the system OEM - in which case you aren't adding mods - mod the power as well. The good news is that it's completely reversible.

#6605 2 years ago

I just purchased and installed these smart Eddy boards from Tangles' Pin Parts in Australia. They work nicely and install easily. They also work on TOM, Scared Stiff, and Road Show with a jumper set correctly. The price was a little better when I bought 4 of them (2 for me, 2 for a friend). They arrived in less than 2 weeks.

https://www.tanglestech.com/TPP-1023

(The first two pictures are the new boards installed. The third picture shows the original boards. The 4th picture just shows the printed instructions and a board.)

IMG_2081 (resized).jpegIMG_2081 (resized).jpegIMG_2082 (resized).jpegIMG_2082 (resized).jpegIMG_2083 (resized).jpegIMG_2083 (resized).jpegIMG_2084 (resized).jpegIMG_2084 (resized).jpeg

#6606 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Makes total sense! Thanks!

#6607 2 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I just purchased and installed these smart Eddy boards from Tangles' Pin Parts in Australia. They work nicely and install easily. They also work on TOM, Scared Stiff, and Road Show with a jumper set correctly. The price was a little better when I bought 4 of them (2 for me, 2 for a friend). They arrived in less than 2 weeks.
https://www.tanglestech.com/TPP-1023
(The first two pictures are the new boards installed. The third picture shows the original boards. The 4th picture just shows the printed instructions and a board.)
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Would be awesome if PBL or Mirco started carrying these so we didn't have to deal with shipping times.

#6608 2 years ago

Hi,

Do the IPDB eproms (Special Sound ROMs LX-7) contain "new" quotes from the movie ?
If yes, how to enable the new quotes ?
Can I use 27c040-15 ?
Is it a raison why the U8 name is ng_u8_s.l1 (compare to others ngs_ux.rom) ?

Thanks

#6609 2 years ago

Anyone put new decals on their cabinet?

If so, where did you get them? How was the quality?

I’m looking at Mr Pinball in Australia and Pinball Decals in Europe.

Thanks for any help!

#6610 2 years ago
Quoted from mkael:

Hi,
Do the IPDB eproms (Special Sound ROMs LX-7) contain "new" quotes from the movie ?
If yes, how to enable the new quotes ?
Can I use 27c040-15 ?
Is it a raison why the U8 name is ng_u8_s.l1 (compare to others ngs_ux.rom) ?
Thanks

The special sound roms contain bloopers and various weird/funny quotes from the actors when they recorded the pinball speech. Has nothing to do with movies. There is a setting to enable extra speech in the settings if you have the appropriate LX-7 ROM as well as the special sound roms.

It's mostly for the attract mode when you press a flipper button. You will hear some during game play as well.

#6611 2 years ago

Is there several LX-7 revision?
On my STTNG, the game rom is LX-7 and sound rom L-1
Thanks

#6612 2 years ago

The LEDOCD seems to be working well. The flickers are all gone. And I never realized how much I missed that fade effect that incandescent have.

#6613 2 years ago

Hi,
Did someone use the wpclp_1.4 software to "patch ghosting " on the LX-7 rom ?
thanks

#6614 2 years ago
Quoted from Redwizard000:

The LEDOCD seems to be working well. The flickers are all gone. And I never realized how much I missed that fade effect that incandescent have.

One of the games that really benefits from LEDOCD or what I have Aftergow board, most WPC games with leds look wrong without them to me.

#6615 2 years ago

The LEDOCD effect is subtle, but once you have it in, you don’t wanna go back.

#6616 2 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

One of the games that really benefits from LEDOCD or what I have Aftergow board, most WPC games with leds look wrong without them to me.

Where do you get the Afterglow PCB? All I can find is their github page.

#6617 2 years ago

Cool Mods from Mick Pinball

#6618 2 years ago

More cool mods from Mick Pinball

#6619 2 years ago

Mick Pinball

#6620 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Where do you get the Afterglow PCB? All I can find is their github page.

It is a DIY project
stumblor organised a group buy at some point

#6621 2 years ago

The plungers on both my cannons are sticking and not returning. I think they need to be demagnetized as the coil sleeves are clean and smooth and the mechs are not binding up at all.

I don't have a demagnetizer or degausser - I found this nice cheap one that does both magnetize and demagnetize. Would this be sufficient? Does anyone have a recommendation for a tool? Thanx in advance...

https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-40010-Magnetizer-or-Demagnetizer/dp/B00018AONE/ref=psdc_553336_t1_B00PBCDRN4

#6622 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

The plungers on both my cannons are sticking and not returning. I think they need to be demagnetized as the coil sleeves are clean and smooth and the mechs are not binding up at all.
I don't have a demagnetizer or degausser - I found this nice cheap one that does both magnetize and demagnetize. Would this be sufficient? Does anyone have a recommendation for a tool? Thanx in advance...
amazon.com link »

I use an electric one I got on Amazon that I paid around 90$USD for. I see it's no longer available for you guys but weird enough it's still available on the Canadian Amazon.

It's a temporary fix. They are starting to stick again after about 9-10 months since I demagnetized them. Probably way cheaper to just replace the plungers.

#6623 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

amazon.com link »

Maybe put something non-conductive between the metal parts that are magnetically sticking? Some thin rubber traction tape comes to mind.

#6624 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

amazon.com link »

When this happens on my game I take the mech apart, clean up the plunger, spring, coil sleeve, etc. really well then I stretch the spring out a bit to give it more return strength and it usually fixes the problem for at least a couple years or more.

#6625 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:When this happens on my game I take the mech apart, clean up the plunger, spring, coil sleeve, etc. really well then I stretch the spring out a bit to give it more return strength and it usually fixes the problem for at least a couple years or more.

No he's right, the magnetism is a thing. On my STTNG I recently completely rebuilt my canon mechs out of 100% new parts. They work great. If I put the old plunger back in, they stick.

#6626 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

No he's right, the magnetism is a thing. On my STTNG I recently completely rebuilt my canon mechs out of 100% new parts. They work great. If I put the old plunger back in, they stick.

I've had my game for 16+ years and have never once replaced one of those plungers, have probably cleaned them up 3 or 4 times max in that time. Not saying it can't / doesn't happen but I've never had to replace one and this game was a routed re-import fresh out of a container when I bought it.

#6627 2 years ago

Ours

img052 (resized).jpgimg052 (resized).jpgimg063 (resized).jpgimg063 (resized).jpg
#6628 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Anyone put new decals on their cabinet?
If so, where did you get them? How was the quality?
I’m looking at Mr Pinball in Australia and Pinball Decals in Europe.
Thanks for any help!

img063 (resized).jpgimg063 (resized).jpg
#6629 2 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

Ours
[quoted image][quoted image]

I’m assuming you’re the Australian ones. LOL

I just ordered from you guys the other day.

#6630 2 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

Ours
[quoted image][quoted image]

Really like the blacked out look, I might do this

#6631 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Really like the blacked out look, I might do this

I did that with mine.

Beezleboob will be posting photos of it in the next couple weeks.

#6632 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I’m assuming you’re the Australian ones. LOL
I just ordered from you guys the other day.

correct

#6633 2 years ago

Are there special mirror blades for this pin since it’s a widebody? Who is best source for mirror blades.

What about that backboard decal?

Anyone sell just the backbox side decals only? See with ministry of pinball but that’s an oversea shipment.

Zitt’s pop caps… if I go purple what color pop bodies and skirts are people using?

Thanks
Dan

#6634 2 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

Are there special mirror blades for this pin since it’s a widebody? Who is best source for mirror blades.
What about that backboard decal?
Anyone sell just the backbox side decals only? See with ministry of pinball but that’s an oversea shipment.
Zitt’s pop caps… if I go purple what color pop bodies and skirts are people using?
Thanks
Dan

The B/W Superpins (aka widebody) use the standard B/W mirror blades, as the PF length is the same

#6635 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

The B/W Superpins (aka widebody) use the standard B/W mirror blades, as the PF length is the same

Thanks

#6636 2 years ago

I can supply head decals either full size or die cut

#6637 2 years ago

It's flipper rebuild time... yaaay.

Flipper rebuild kit and new coils. Ordered a replacement for a broken plastic and bought some Comet LEDs.

Regular, standard maintenance. Fun times.

#6638 2 years ago

Crafted this handy little opto switch tester with duct tape and zip tie. Was diagnosing random extra balls and this helped me rapidly conclude the fault was on the logic side. Reseated some connectors and the problem quickly resolved.

Thanks for the eddy board sensor lead btw!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#6639 2 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

Zitt’s pop caps… if I go purple what color pop bodies and skirts are people using

Never been asked or pictured.
I'd probably do purple bodies, clear skirts, and clear bases so the playfeild graphics is more visible. Of course all purple is possible if that's your desire, but wouldn't look right against the blue playfeild graphics -imho

#6640 2 years ago

Someone posted a pic of the play field and numbered all the inserts along with the corresponding bulb to go with it. I’m once again trying to come up with a master led bulb list and that spreadsheet is a little confusing for me to read. Like the column that says “number of identical bulbs “ has me scratching my head. Like. Is that the number of bulbs needed for that color or????

#6641 2 years ago

Got my shipment from Comet in and switched out my saucer bulbs. Changed the outer bulbs from white (and an odd green) to purple and changed the command decision light from purple to white.

I think it looks pretty good, what do you guys think?

I will play with it like that for a while, though I can't play too seriously because my right flipper is messed up and I am waiting on a rebuild kit. I have enough white bulbs to change them all back to white with a purple in the middle, that's the alternative, if it turns out I don't like them like this.

20211012_185456 (resized).jpg20211012_185456 (resized).jpg
#6642 2 years ago

Got my shipment from Comet in and switched out my saucer bulbs. Changed the outer bulbs from white (and an odd green) to purple and changed the command decision light from purple to white.
I will play with it like that for a while, though I can't play too seriously because my right flipper is messed up and I am waiting on a rebuild kit. I have enough white bulbs to change them all back to white with a purple in the middle, that's the alternative, if it turns out I don't like them like this.
[quoted image]

I prefer the warm classic glow of incandescents save for the upper playfield flashers which I have blue in borg and color matched the other two.

I chased this funky color LED path once. The only way I’d do it again is color match the inserts and do herg boards. But I could be swayed for something creative for worm hole.

#6643 2 years ago

[quoted image]

Check out Mick Pinball for the "Engine Mod Led Mod" to make the engines move. I posted a video of it a few threads back.

#6644 2 years ago

Since you're asking for opinions, I think it looks garish and gaudy. The game wasn't designed to have purple lights there, and it throws off the aesthetic of the Enterprise. In addition, too much purple lighting in any game makes the ball difficult to see.

Inserts are always best when color matched. General illumination is best when white - warm, natural, or cool depending on theme and personal taste.

That said, I'm just a random guy on the Internet. It's your game, and you should absolutely enjoy it however you want!

#6645 2 years ago

Posted this previously. For those interested in really upgrading their STTNG Pin with better sound, check this out. Certainly Pinsound System is the way to go. However don't use their "speaker adapter panel" for the smaller speaker hole.
It just blocks some of the sound, and limits the addition of the other cool mod out there, LEDs around the speakers.
Check out this company who produces a replacement speaker panel, with the hardware already installed to have a larger right side hole. $29 plus shipping!

https://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=114&zenid=eq9gis5imujk9so48laj9fd7l5

aaf5417104e9d33a460775ac6d5e710bbd18f563 (resized).jpgaaf5417104e9d33a460775ac6d5e710bbd18f563 (resized).jpg

SpkrPanel-WPC-5 (resized).jpgSpkrPanel-WPC-5 (resized).jpg
#6646 2 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Since you're asking for opinions, I think it looks garish and gaudy. The game wasn't designed to have purple lights there, and it throws off the aesthetic of the Enterprise. In addition, too much purple lighting in any game makes the ball difficult to see.
Inserts are always best when color matched. General illumination is best when white - warm, natural, or cool depending on theme and personal taste.
That said, I'm just a random guy on the Internet. It's your game, and you should absolutely enjoy it however you want!

I wanted to try something different. The purple bulbs weren't expensive, so I just got a set. Previous owner had one green bulb in there and it was annoying me.

I haven't really played many games with them, I will this weekend assuming I can get the flippers rebuilt (the right flipper doesn't go down all the way).

Probably will play a bit with the purples and then switch them back to white, play a bit, see what I like the best.

I assume any lamp under a clear insert on a game from this era was designed to be a shade of incandescent white? I do have a few oddball colors in some of the inserts.

#6647 2 years ago

Does anyone know where I can find a spinner and assembly? I installed a STERN spinner that works well. Thanks

20211013_092720 (resized).jpg20211013_092720 (resized).jpg
#6648 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Holy smokes I think you just helped me fix a flaky cannon. Somehow, I didn't realize the plungers could get magnetized. Once in a blue moon I have a weak shot or a failure to retract despite everything being clean and all the electrical connections being solid.

#6649 2 years ago

I assume any lamp under a clear insert on a game from this era was designed to be a shade of incandescent white? I do have a few oddball colors in some of the inserts.

Indeed. Every insert was designed to have an incandescent bulb underneath, which would illuminate the insert in whatever color it was plus perhaps slightly warmer. I agree LEDs look better for a multitude of reasons including brightness and clarity, but it has to be done within reason. Doing over-the-top lighting modifications like that take away from the experience intended by the designer. If the inserts were supposed to be purple, Greg Freres and Steve Ritchie would have made them purple.

#6650 2 years ago
Quoted from FireballAK:

Does anyone know where I can find a spinner and assembly? I installed a STERN spinner that works well. Thanks

Why is the spinner contact bent above the plastic like that? No wonder it doesn't work well!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 63.95
$ 15.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.99
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,370 posts in this topic. You are on page 133 of 208.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/133 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.