IMG_2001 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240414_092939 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,385 posts in this topic. You are on page 174 of 208.
#8651 1 year ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

I want to test my MPU board. I have Getaway and White Water. Can I swap the MPU boards for testing?

Yes those games use the same MPU board - you just need to swap the game ROM

#8652 1 year ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

I want to test my MPU board. I have Getaway and White Water. Can I swap the MPU boards for testing?

This will show you which MPU each game requires. They are compatible, just need proper ROMs...

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#WPC-89_.26_WPC-S

#8653 1 year ago

speaking of proper game ROMs...

Exactly 29 years after the release of LX-7 - which came out on Feb. 17 1994 - I'm really proud – and a little surprised - to announce the release of something really cool:

Screenshot from 2023-02-17 12-31-50 (resized).pngScreenshot from 2023-02-17 12-31-50 (resized).png

• More than 20 bugs fixed.
  • Features! Tweaks! Improvements!
  • For sure the No 1. upgrade every STTNG should have installed.
  • And it simply plays fantastic!

The goal was to eliminate bugs and inconsistencies, but also to add obviously missing features. Everything was designed to maintain the spirit of the original game and every change that is not a bug-fix can be disabled. But if you like LX-7 you are certainly going to love LX-8.

If you own a legal copy of LX-7, here you are going to find everything you need - including a well written manual with 22 fine pages answering everything you might want to know:

https://drive.proton.me/urls/WZV79221ZC#SFQiTtAwWYm2

For sure a serious amount of time went into developing, testing and documenting all of this. Over at flippermarkt.de a very competent alliance of fellow STTNG owners teamed up to make this happen!

For your thoughts, ideas, extensive testing, bug reports, continuous and persistent help to make one of the best pinball machines of all time even better, special thanks (and shouts!!) go out to:

Guitarluke - oradke - grabul - agolo - chessman68 - mineu - Thargor - rocanich – ClarkKent

And for additional beta testing:

toxie - koji - Manny65 - Eric_Manuel

If you happen to meet them… you should buy these guys a beer!

Cheers!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an unofficial patch for LX-7 (Special-Speech version) and it’s not authorized by Williams! The use of modified software outside of PinMAME is not intended and done at your own risk!

#8654 1 year ago

It‘s seriously several kinds of awesome. My favorite part is the new randomized Shuttle Simulation!!!

#8655 1 year ago
Quoted from ingo333:

...Everything was designed to maintain the spirit of the original game and every change that is not a bug-fix can be disabled...

How did your team get the source code? Or did you use a decompiler?

#8656 1 year ago
Quoted from ingo333:

Exactly 29 years after the release of LX-7 - which came out on Feb. 17 1994 - I'm really proud – and a little surprised - to announce the release of something really cool:
[quoted image]

More than 20 bugs fixed.
Features! Tweaks! Improvements!
For sure the No 1. upgrade every STTNG should have installed.
And it simply plays fantastic!

The goal was to eliminate bugs and inconsistencies, but also to add obviously missing features. Everything was designed to maintain the spirit of the original game and every change that is not a bug-fix can be disabled. But if you like LX-7 you are certainly going to love LX-8.
If you own a legal copy of LX-7, here you are going to find everything you need - including a well written manual with 22 fine pages answering everything you might want to know:
For sure a serious amount of time went into developing, testing and documenting all of this. Over at flippermarkt.de a very competent alliance of fellow STTNG owners teamed up to make this happen!
For your thoughts, ideas, extensive testing, bug reports, continuous and persistent help to make one of the best pinball machines of all time even better, special thanks (and shouts!!) go out to:
Guitarluke - oradke - grabul - agolo - chessman68 - mineu - Thargor - rocanich – ClarkKent
And for additional beta testing:
toxie - koji - Manny65 - Eric_Manuel
If you happen to meet them… you should buy these guys a beer!
Cheers!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is an unofficial patch for LX-7 (Special-Speech version) and it’s not authorized by Williams! The use of modified software outside of PinMAME is not intended and done at your own risk!

Congratulations ingo!!

Thank you for your amazing work on this. The bug fixed play is night and day for the playing experience of this beloved game.

The level of detail in better understanding the game code is also amazing just to identify how many nuances and details were taken for for granted.

Thank you again. It's amazing!

#8657 1 year ago

[quoted image]

Any idea when and where this might be available in the purchased ROM world? I want this but don't have the ability to write my own ROM's

#8658 1 year ago

If you don't want to run the patching utility on your computer I found an online site where you can do it:

https://www.marcrobledo.com/RomPatcher.js/

#8659 1 year ago

[12:43:24 PM] Original file "trek_x7.rom" selected.
[12:43:25 PM] Applying patch, please wait... (don't panic!)
[12:43:25 PM] An error has occurred: xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT
(turned off checksum validation on my original lx7 rom)
[12:43:58 PM] Applying patch, please wait... (don't panic!)
[12:43:58 PM] Patch successfully applied!
(didn't work)

(downloaded lx7 from ipdb)
[12:46:48 PM] Original file "TREK_X7.ROM" selected.
[12:46:57 PM] Applying patch, please wait... (don't panic!)
[12:46:57 PM] An error has occurred: xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT
(turned off checksum validation)
[12:47:03 PM] Applying patch, please wait... (don't panic!)
[12:47:03 PM] Patch successfully applied!

Sorry, doesn't work. Had to turn off the checksum validation, rom is directly from ipdb. Resets ram in pinmame fine, but then on bootup goes into a boot loop.

#8660 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:[12:43:24 PM]
Sorry, doesn't work. Had to turn off the checksum validation, rom is directly from ipdb. Resets ram in pinmame fine, but then on bootup goes into a boot loop.

I've tried quite a few of these online patchers.. I didn't find anything working as it should.

trek_x7.rom from ipdb is the correct file. It must be the special speech version from the link in the "how_to_create_LX8.pdf.

Don't turn off checksum validation.

it's an xdelta3 patch. not xdelta. you can also use:

apt get install xdelta3

if you are using Linux.

here are the md5 checksums of all files involved:

24b52ce325bc4f2706a95d5e241d3b15 trek_LX-8_AD41_BE08.rom
9d9cee575ace3f89e05f2631b3e300a1 trek_x7.rom
60dcd12c3f25b1b8f826f4d4098bcef6 trek_x8.xdelta

and you can apply the patch like this:

xdelta3 -d -s trek_x7.rom trek_x8.xdelta NEW_LX8.rom

But if you follow the pdf, everything should be working.

#8661 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

If you don't want to run the patching utility on your computer I found an online site where you can do it:
https://www.marcrobledo.com/RomPatcher.js/

This one produces valid output, but it doesn't check the input files. So it's a bit dangerous.

Please use xdelta3 with Linux (like described above) or the DeltaPatcher.exe contained in the zip file (there is also a link where you can find the original source of that file). you might end up with a corrupted file otherwise.

edit: this is the md5 of the resulting LX8: 24b52ce325bc4f2706a95d5e241d3b15

#8662 1 year ago

I used the version of xdelta that was in your zip file.

#8663 1 year ago

And the trek_x7.rom from the link? I did this 3 times today - zero problems.

trek_x7.rom from Special Speech sttng_x7.zip on ipdb.org (md5: 79d9cee575ace3f89e05f2631b3e300a1)

with the trek_x8.xdelta from the zip (md5 should be: 60dcd12c3f25b1b8f826f4d4098bcef6)

gives you an error with the DeltaPatcher.exe from within the zip?

#8664 1 year ago
Quoted from ingo333:

And the trek_x7.rom from the link? I did this 3 times today - zero problems.
trek_x7.rom from Special Speech sttng_x7.zip on ipdb.org (md5: 79d9cee575ace3f89e05f2631b3e300a1)
with the trek_x8.xdelta from the zip (md5 should be: 60dcd12c3f25b1b8f826f4d4098bcef6)
gives you an error with the DeltaPatcher.exe from within the zip?

I can confirm the patch process functions as documented on my Windows 11 Home Edition PC.

#8665 1 year ago

It's not clear from ipdb's site that the special sound roms also included the game rom, so I was using the regular lx7 rom that was posted. Working now.

Looking forward to the tech info as well (well.... honestly, probably looking forward to that more than the upgrade itself. Hopefully a T2-8.3-esque multipage PDF?)

#8666 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

It's not clear from ipdb's site that the special sound roms also included the game rom, so I was using the regular lx7 rom that was posted. Working now.

great you've got it working now.

Quoted from slochar:

Looking forward to the tech info as well (well.... honestly, probably looking forward to that more than the upgrade itself. Hopefully a T2-8.3-esque multipage PDF?)

looks like Averell has set a new standard here .... it's currently around 50 pages and counting...

#8667 1 year ago

Patcher worked fine for me on Win10 x64 bit running as a sandboxie app.
Haven't tested the rom yet. does anyone remember which EPROM the game needs? 27C010 ?

Parts list claims :
2137 ...4 5343-12881-00 e prom 27c040 4meg 120nsec 1

#8668 1 year ago

this is amazing news! and i would love to buy a beer or two to the guy/guys that made the code.
And also, if someone can do one for me in europe i can pay for it ( plus the rom and the shipping of course )

#8669 1 year ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Patcher worked fine for me on Win10 x64 bit running as a sandboxie app.
Haven't tested the rom yet. does anyone remember which EPROM the game needs? 27C010 ?
Parts list claims :
2137 ...4 5343-12881-00 e prom 27c040 4meg 120nsec 1

Yeah, the C010 is too small.. needs to be 512K (27C4001 / 27C040) AFAIK.

#8670 1 year ago
Quoted from koji:

Yeah, the C010 is too small.. needs to be 512K (27C4001 / 27C040) AFAIK.

Size of patched file on disk is 512kb.
27C010 is a 128kx8 chip and has the same pinout but as you stated; won't fit 512kb.

#8671 1 year ago

And here I just bought a new weebly MPU with an LX7 rom! For those of us who don't have rom burners, is there somewhere we can purchase an LX8 rom to just swap in?

#8672 1 year ago

I’m assuming “special speech” and “silly speech” are referring to the same thing?

#8673 1 year ago
Quoted from jibmums:

And here I just bought a new weebly MPU with an LX7 rom! For those of us who don't have rom burners, is there somewhere we can purchase an LX8 rom to just swap in?

I'd recommend picking up a GQ-4x4 USB programmer.. quite cheap ~~$100, and has served me well for all of my SS machines, and this will ensure you can upgrade for any subsequent patches and so forth.

Alternately, I'd reach out to the local pinball clubs.. I'm sure there is always someone willing to do it, usually the ask is that the person can replace the part (rom) for the person helping out...

#8674 1 year ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

I’m assuming “special speech” and “silly speech” are referring to the same thing?

Yes. And as mentioned somewhere hidden inside the manual, it's optional. You don't need the Special Speech audio ROMs.

And if you have them installed, you can enable and completely disable (<- this is new) them via adjustment "A.2 28 Special Speech".

#8675 1 year ago

I used a 27C4001 and it work fine. Easy with the Superpro 280u programmer (previously hacked to run on 64bit windows).

I had some weirdness when first upgrading to LX8. Had infinite ball ones. eventually; I took out all the balls via clear balls menu and put them in one by one while the game was on and it "fixed" itself.

Overall; no real change to my game play. The "no flippers" during ball selections feels weird by overall a welcome change to keep flipper usage down.
I feel like there is some "lag" somewhere I can quite place. A couple of times I pulled the trigger and either didn't register the trigger pull or was delayed by 500-1000ms. I also had some weirdness around "start game".

Hopefully; this doesn't translate to poor convention operation as the game is going to be present TPF'23 with these LX-8 roms. Smart me would take LX-7 "just in case".

#8676 1 year ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I feel like there is some "lag" somewhere I can quite place. A couple of times I pulled the trigger and either didn't register the trigger pull or was delayed by 500-1000ms. I also had some weirdness around "start game".

We've tested on ~10 machines and there where one or two reports of lag, but nothing that could be reproduced by the others... But something you might want to try: take out the batteries for a few seconds... it's mentioned in Chapter 4 Troubleshooting.

I've switched between LX-7 and LX-8 a few times, but haven't seen any issues.

Quoted from Zitt:

I also had some weirdness around "start game".

If you are speaking of "right flipper starts game" and "trigger doesn't work" - that happens also when you switch back to LX-7 or LX-5, so it seems that's normal after a ROM change. Once you have pulled the trigger, the next game should be fine.

Quoted from Zitt:

Overall; no real change to my game play. The "no flippers" during ball selections feels weird by overall a welcome change to keep flipper usage down.

Wait until you are used to it and go back to LX-7 ... that feels really weird then. And actually we didn't want to change your game play, it should still be LX-7. But if you like to, you can now use Launch-A-Probe and Skill Shot, they might give you an extra ball... you could set Ferengi MB to 90s... or the Return To Duty to 30s... Holodeck is more interesting and the NZ Lock is definitely a nice thing... but you are right... it's actually still STTNG... =)

#8677 1 year ago
Quoted from ingo333:

We've tested on ~10 machines and there where one or two reports of lag, but nothing that could be reproduced by the others... But something you might want to try: take out the batteries for a few seconds... it's mentioned in Chapter 4 Troubleshooting.

I've switched between LX-7 and LX-8 a few times, but haven't seen any issues.

I didn't try pulling batteries. Good tip before I get too many high scores. I did see "restore factory reset" so thought that was good enough.

Quoted from ingo333:

If you are speaking of "right flipper starts game" and "trigger doesn't work" - that happens also when you switch back to LX-7 or LX-5, so it seems that's normal after a ROM change. Once you have pulled the trigger, the next game should be fine.

Meaning I pushed the start button and nothing happened. I actually got "locating balls" on the second game after installing new rom. This is what prompted me to clear the balls and then re-add them 1 by 1.

I <3 my STNG. I wouldn't have changed the roms because I acutally like LX-7 with ghost patch. But I figured; when it rome... install the latest.

#8678 1 year ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I actually got "locating balls" on the second game after installing new rom.

No reports of that until now... and we've played a lot... maybe it was just the ROM change.

Quoted from Zitt:

I <3 my STNG. I wouldn't have changed the roms because I acutally like LX-7 with ghost patch.

we love our STTNGs too =)... that's why we've fixed LX-7. And all the tweaks, can be disabled. But maybe you should try to put your game play aside, forget all you know about how to play STTNG, use Launch-A-Probe, hit the NZ often and enjoy crashing against walls in the shuttle simulation... you may actually like it.

#8679 1 year ago

Going to try to get some lx8 in stream... Now. Lol

https://www.twitch.tv/kojis92

#8680 1 year ago

Can anyone burn me a rom?

More than happy to pay for it. Pls DM me.

Thx!

#8681 1 year ago
Quoted from ingo333:

This is great work and complete notes too, in and working fine (with NV Ram too), thank you!

#8682 1 year ago
Quoted from koji:

Going to try to get some lx8 in stream... Now. Lol
https://www.twitch.tv/kojis92

Well Done! Watched you for an hour! lol

#8683 1 year ago

Hi i can provide this rom . Way to go Ingo. One of the all time greats is greater.

#8684 1 year ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Can anyone burn me a rom?
More than happy to pay for it. Pls DM me.
Thx!

Same here. I need one also.

#8685 1 year ago

I have a handful of blank 27C4001 eproms. DM

#8686 1 year ago

Can anyone post photos of the trough board connectors on their STTNG. On mine, the LED PCB connector is chewed up pretty bad and the photo transistor PCB connector has been reconstructed, but on both connectors the +12V and ground wires don't match the manual.

#8687 1 year ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Can anyone post photos of the trough board connectors on their STTNG. On mine, the LED PCB connector is chewed up pretty bad and the photo transistor PCB connector has been reconstructed, but on both connectors the +12V and ground wires don't match the manual.

Upgrade to something new which you will use every single game.
This works fantastic for $59 for the SET

a-17982_a-17981_2 (resized).jpga-17982_a-17981_2 (resized).jpg

https://www.pinballlife.com/7-opto-trough-board-set-for-williamsbally-widebody-pinball-machines.html

#8688 1 year ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

[quoted image]
https://www.pinballlife.com/7-opto-trough-board-set-for-williamsbally-widebody-pinball-machines.html

+10 on the home pin set. Swap and go. Through problems no more

#8689 1 year ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

[quoted image]

Yes, the pin came with new homepin boards, its the connectors that are suspect.

#8690 1 year ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Yes, the pin came with new homepin boards, its the connectors that are suspect.

Understand the need. I am away at the moment. I can help please with photos after the 27th if you do not get any in the meantime.

Cheers

#8691 1 year ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

You can post images of your wiring as well. The wiring in the manual is correct.

sttng_ball_trough_wiring.jpgsttng_ball_trough_wiring.jpg
#8692 1 year ago

Trying to patch the LX-8 file and followed the pdf instructions after first downloading the LX-7 from IPDB.

Get this error : An error has occurred: xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT

And does someone know what is version LG-7 ? (IPDB)

Anyone ?

#8693 1 year ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

Trying to patch the LX-8 file and followed the pdf instructions after first downloading the LX-7 from IPDB.

You need to download the file from the link inside the pdf:

"1. Download sttng_x7.zip from here: https://www.ipdb.org/files/2357/sttng_x7.zip"

there's a "trek_x7.rom" inside. That's the file you want to patch.

#8694 1 year ago

Not sure if I would need to replace speech and game roms?
If so who is selling both?

#8695 1 year ago
Quoted from ingo333:

And as mentioned somewhere hidden inside the manual, it's optional. You don't need the Special Speech audio ROMs.

#8696 1 year ago

Hi this new INgo rom is now available in my pinside store. Pinballrom. It is a one stop shop for all your rom/chip needs. Feel free to message me with any questions.
Thanks
Dave Astill

#8697 1 year ago

What is the readme/updates for the new rom?

#8698 1 year ago

ingo 333 has made an amazing booklet. It has many changes, Too many to list.

#8699 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

You can post images of your wiring as well. The wiring in the manual is correct.[quoted image]

This is what I have, likely the cause of my switch issues

6010D284-E2C2-48E1-8252-0E536EEB4289.jpeg6010D284-E2C2-48E1-8252-0E536EEB4289.jpeg7A8BB1F1-1991-4C2E-ADD9-003A016570ED.jpeg7A8BB1F1-1991-4C2E-ADD9-003A016570ED.jpeg
#8700 1 year ago

For those that don't want to pay Canada to USA shipping; direct message me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 64.99
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 63.95
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

There are 10,385 posts in this topic. You are on page 174 of 208.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/174 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.