IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg
IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2194 Fix for low 12V voltage and slow cannons. Linked to ColorDMD Install. Posted by mavantix (6 years ago)

Post #2578 Hallmark Romulan Warbird modification Posted by Pin_Guy (5 years ago)

Post #2659 canon gearbox; detail photos of innards Posted by scooter8416 (5 years ago)

Post #4774 Tubing used for ends of flipper return lanes. Posted by Gogojohnnyquack (3 years ago)

Post #8277 Disable Officer's Club from the high scores in attract mode. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Post #8653 LX-8 ROM Release with link and description. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zitt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

518 posts in this topic match your search for posts by zitt. You are on page 1 of 3.
#34 11 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Beer drinkers mod.

Ok. Time to share there beer drinker.
Where'd you get them?

2 years later
#171 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

also, borg windows should be green, not blue. Borg colors are generally some combination of black / grey / silver with green lighting.

Not correct. The windows are correct as blue:
Lore's+Renegade+Borg+ship.jpgLore's+Renegade+Borg+ship.jpg

4 months later
#374 8 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I found the perfect spot for one right above the third flipper. Put a green led in there and it really makes the Borg ship pop.

20160324_092003_(resized).jpg

I don't believe you... I don't see any green on the borg ship. Infact I dont even see a borg ship in that photo.

#398 8 years ago

I think I'm still running old FW.... so I don't have any options to change.
One of these days...

2 weeks later
#463 7 years ago

Not four dots... 3.
"The Next Generation"?

2 weeks later
#475 7 years ago

I don't think mine has that plastic installed either as I've seen the ball in there once or twice.
If someone has one being unused temporarily or could scan a trace of one into the computer... I can get some made.

#477 7 years ago

Right. I wouldn't.

At a minimum; I'd need someone to pull this plastic - then put it on a white sheet of paper and trace with a pen/pencil... including the holes. Then you can either scan it (if you have it) or mail it to me.

Once I get it; I should be able to reproduce this within a small margin of error.

1 week later
#513 7 years ago
Quoted from ibjames:

ugh.. I'm starting to feel like I shouldn't have bought one of these and stuck to video games... now it shoots balls from the starting point like crazy, the switch tests fine. I really thought I would be able to figure these things out if there was a problem, I have a feeling I'll never be able to play with the glass on with this thing

You actually picked the worse game to cut your teeth on... STNG is one of the most complex and problematic machines out there.

I don't have any advise... other than try to take the emotion out of the troubleshooting. Eventually; you'll either learn or find someone who can teach you.

1 week later
#571 7 years ago

Ok. That is almost a great an example of a crapped out Trough connector.
On my STNG; I had issues... and it turned out the connectors supplying power to both boards were shot.
IIRC, I ended up removing the IDC connector supplying power to the detector board and re-crimping fresh new connections.

I didn't do mine "right" because I left the IDC connector in place for the signals... and only replaced the power connectors.

To verify; with your PF slide out and resting on the lockdown bar... wiggle the idc connector while in that switch test. If I'm right; you'll see the optos go wonky again.

This would be supported by the fact that the right flipper is directly over the trough and is "vibrating" the loose power connections.
Wiggle MeWiggle Me

#573 7 years ago

That PBL tool... is good for one or two connectors.
Which is why I almost always go for broke and install new crimp style connectors using this tool:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/molex-llc/0638111000/WM9999-ND/243789

#580 7 years ago

The upper flipper should be tackled after you get the opto board working right...
I'm about 90% sure it has nothing to do with the optos... nor the eddy board as neither should affect the flippers.

I'd look to make sure the flipper is "plugged" it... and that it's power connectors are "burnt".
At that point; I'd verify the power is there... and driver transistor is ok. The fact that is doesn't move at all indicates to me that you have a power/transistor issue.

#586 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Seriously? What are you doing with your tool? I punched every single IDC in STTNG with that tool and its fine.

It's not just me... everyone I've discussed this with tends to agree. The plastic tool just fails after a few connections.
But; it's possible my Neanderthal paws are making it worse.

#627 7 years ago

My experience was the same. Domes too big for hole.
I used a Step Drill to enlarge the hole.

#629 7 years ago

Yes. No issue with the holes if you use the steps.

2 months later
#692 7 years ago

...eek... I have a friend with the same issue.
AFAIK; the only option is to remove the mylar, replace the insert, apply waterslide decal, and reinstall mylar.
We haven't done his yet... may never do it given the amount of work ... and likelihood of a screw up.

Maybe someone else has a suggestion.

2 weeks later
#738 7 years ago

I did this once on my star trek plastics and the oven got too hot and the paint did stick to the glass.
So; you need to be careful for sure.

#740 7 years ago

PinGuy,
That backboard... how hard was it to install?
I have one for my machine; but after looking at it; I kinda felt is was too much work.

#742 7 years ago

Great info thanks. I was thinking the same thing... I have a new PF ... but don't have any immediate plans swapping my PF.

2 weeks later
#799 7 years ago

Agreed. I already ordered replacements so just need to install them.

#810 7 years ago

I took advantage of the BrExit Euro and ordered a STNG Apron from Pinball-Dreams.com.

Easy to install and came with printed instructions. You have to transfer your existing rails and hardware from your old apron; but was still easy to do. I decided to wire mine into the OPTO 12V's... and I had to bump my 3A SB to 4A SB as I also have ColorDMD installed. They don't recommend the opto 12V; it was just right there by the apron and easy for me to splice into. I'll probably live to regret that decision.

Before:
stock apronstock apron

After:
Pinball-Dreams.com 's ApronPinball-Dreams.com 's Apron

#812 7 years ago

Pez. I know. But compare to the USA distributor; and it's a decient deal.

2 months later
#859 7 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Does anyone have extra plastics? Looking for: Slings, Ferengi, and the curved plastic that sits below the advance in rankplastic/lamps. Thanks.

http://www.thepinballwizard.net/index.php?p=product&id=1865 for the slings

#863 7 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Honestly, this game is a lifetime keeper for my family but I don't see paying to clear the PF or going to all the trouble of stripping it to do so. The protector seems inevitable for me...

LOL. I think the protectors are a waste of money... but can see the appeal. I wouldn't really want even a small ledge over the switches / etc.

I have a mirco PF in storage... and maybe when I retire (not for 20years); I'll consider swapping the PF. I agree the swap look daunting; and that's really the rub for me. I have no problems at all clear coating a PF. Done it too many times with great results.

#870 7 years ago

Hey... It had to relieve itself... You can relate, right?

#904 7 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

WTB: Neutral Zone Cliffy protector. They seem to be sold out everywhere I've looked.

Did you contact Cliffy himself?

#918 7 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

I am new to STTNG but have a few of your mods in my STLE. I have wanted one of these aprons for a while. Did you have any problems getting the pinball dreams site to work. I keep getting a MM in the cart instead of STTNG apron. Having trouble registering also.

The best thing to do is either use a translated german site... or really contact Pinball-Dreams here via IM.
He'll get you a realistic shipping cost and you can paypal him the amount in euros.
That's what I did and got mine without a hitch.

#924 7 years ago

Does cliffy at passion 4 pinball make lane extenders?

#937 7 years ago

Is the resting position the same on both flippers?
I've only had this problem when the resting positions were off. There is a alignment hole in the PF near the tip of the flippers.

2 weeks later
#965 7 years ago

come to tpf in march for comparison shopping

#991 7 years ago

DS9 is "ok" the reality is I still feel the same as I did when I was a kid.
DS9 is very soap opera like... with lots of character arch which is good. But it still feels slow compared to TNG.

#999 7 years ago

My issue with Enterprise is they really tried to take too many "story lines" from the previous shows and tried to make it work in the show.
I really did enjoy Enterprise as a ST show... but that intro was just plain wrong.
I've worked chronologically thru TOS, TNG and am now on DS9 on Netflix.
I find I like DS9 better now than I did as a late teen... but it still feels too soapy to me.
I'm actually looking forward to Voyager... as I missed several seasons because of UPN not being broadcast while I was in college.

2 weeks later
#1099 7 years ago

Don't order a kit. Look at the game and order LEDS you want.
I don't think I have ever bought a kit; it's fun to implement your own lighting and probably cheaper too.
You'd have to ask cointaker... but IIRC they didn't use to provide instructions. I think it was up to the customer to figure it out.

1 week later
#1223 7 years ago

I would not recommend a resistor. Inductive feed back from the motor may have adverse effects on the laser diode.

#1230 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

That's a valid point Zitt, but I think I would throw caution to the wind on this one...even if you reduce the lasers life expectancy by a factor of 100 it's still going to be good for 1000 hours, and 1000 hours runtime on a STTNG cannon means it will work for generations

Laser diodes are temperamental beasts in general. While developing the Stern Star_Trek Laser upgrade... I think I burnt out 2 or three.

#1260 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I prefer incandescent on this title, with the exception of select back box and play field GI's; I do realize I'm in the minority here.

I tend to agree... but the Backbox is def a current hog at 100% bulb.
I believe I left the faces as incandescent... but used LEDs for highlighting the ships/tractorbeam/etc on the BG.

I currently have my GI at 100% blub... but have converted most of the start mission indicators to LED. Those look pretty rad as LED (warm white).

I need to redo my BG LEDs because I used early LEDs which have dimmed considerably over the last few years. Glad that dude is out of business tbh.

2 weeks later
#1361 7 years ago

When was the last time the Optos were replaced on your game?

Mine had original optos which has yellowed with age... to the point where the emitting optos weren't consistently outputting enough light to trigger the detector. This led me to repeatedly try and troubleshoot optos. Eventually; I decided screw it and replaced all my opto leds with new "blue" optos and haven't had an issue since.

If you suspect these optos are orginal and are yellow/brown colored... do yourself a favor and replace them with new ones. You'll sleep much better with this machine being on location.

#1387 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I would be very interested in obtaining a fully signed STTNG translight

The best way to do this... is DIY:
http://www.creationent.com/cal/st_lasvegas_guests.html
I did it... and have worked on one of the star's pinball machine twice now. One to remove the original batteries... after drilling the lock. and One to install Titan silicon rubber kit.

Given it's the 30th STNG anniversary... "in theory" you should be able to get everyone's autograph at one show.

3 weeks later
#1455 7 years ago

St Patrick Stewart does not approve!

#1457 7 years ago

...I need to upgrade mine to the latest Firmware so I can try DOTS XL.
Does anyone remember how long it took to upgrade to the latest ColorDMD firmware?
I'm assuming it's much shorter than a Stern Star Trek code update...

2 weeks later
#1529 7 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

The drop target is down when this happens, the ball usually rattles around that area and pops back out. As I mentioned it happens on the launch/re-load as well as normal lane shots.

Re-check that drop target.
I had the same issue and was very confused at TPF'16 as I couln't get the damn thing to load right.
After about an hour of debug; I figured out that my drop assemblies screw holes were stripped and the assembly would fall partially out due to gravity. This cause their to be a shallow "hole" that removed the inertia of the ball and it would fail to actual transition to the subway.

Putting some toothpics and glue in the stripped hole; made the assembly flush against the drop target hole... which allowed the ball to transition into the subway like it's suppose to.

#1532 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Perfect fix for any stripped out screw hole.

LOL - agreed; but hard to do when it's "live" at a convention with people waiting to play in your booth.
I need to pull that assembly back out and redo the screw holes with wood glue and more toothpicks.
I think I used SuperGlue and a bamboo skewer at the show.

1 week later
#1559 7 years ago

So... basically do this while the wife is out of town; or before you disconnect the washer perm... before replacement. Got it.

3 weeks later
#1640 6 years ago

I posted a new thread about an possible upcoming popcap set I'm thinking of getting made for the STNG machine.

Please stop by:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stng-popcaps-any-interest
and give me your opinion

1 week later
#1648 6 years ago

I wouldn't play shot-gun debug like this Plunger.
I think your issues are related to the ColorDMD ... putting a high load on the game.
The other thing is It's probably gotten warmer in your neck of the woods which can lead to more problems on a marginally bad voltage rail.
I'd look at the 5V and 12VDC rail to see if either are marginal. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1013-kahrus-circuits/00092-wpc-power-fix-daughterboard is one way of trying to solve this problem.

If you haven't had your caps on these rails replaced... they are probably leaking too much and/or causing too much ripple into the MPU board which could explain what you are seeing.

#1652 6 years ago

Sounds like a Power supply filtering issue to me.
Has the Soundcard been re-capped? What about the supply rails into the soundcard?

2 weeks later
#1670 6 years ago

I've always wanted to research the necessary digikey part list for the molex connectors and pins so that i could diy a replacement loom.
Never got around to it.

#1674 6 years ago

There has been talk that hacking in wires make the whole assembly more fragile; but I think that was only if you attempted to repair only at the broken wire. I think you are implying that you cut out a few inches and slice in new wire which may be ok.

For me; I just replaced the whole loom on both cannons and haven't had a issue since.

1 week later
#1701 6 years ago

I think both of mine rotate on startup.
Mine use to cycle several times; but then I replaced the plungers which had become magnetic and they only cycle once now.
(my plungers were sticking "up" because of the magnetizm)

#1704 6 years ago

Mine times out and doea charity plunge if you dont trigger it in time.

#1706 6 years ago

Could one the coil wires be broken in the twist area of the harness where only one or two of the wire strands are still connected but no strong enough to provide a full pulse to the cannon?

#1709 6 years ago
Quoted from urbanledge:

I wish you could change the setting to allow more time to aim.
Noobs never get the chance to fire it

In Final Frontier; I just let it charity plunge as it gives me more time to juggle the other balls.

#1722 6 years ago

Calling attention to a product being made in Germany and distributed here in North America. This set of 18 laser etch decals will dress up the stainless steel VUK housing as brackets used on Star Trek: The Next Generation

Here's a quick picture:
Left VUK Dress kitLeft VUK Dress kit
more pictures in the thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-sttng-mod-for-ball-popper-housings-and-other-parts

Direct link to purchasing for North America:
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/game-specific-products-star-trek-the-next-generation-stng-vukbracket-dressing-p-25.html

1 week later
#1742 6 years ago

Calling attention to my Pre-Order survey for my new STNG Popcaps which I hope to be offering for sale in the near future.

Sample Installation:
Sample Installation - Uniform colorsSample Installation - Uniform colors

I'm collecting survey data to give me an idea of what configurations will be popular so I can ensure I have adequate stock of those configurations.
https://goo.gl/forms/QhWqKS9AF6mxuYuq2
Please fill free to submit your opinion. I will use the data collected to build inventory of the Undercap colors and to ensure I have enough LEDs to offer with the kit. This isn't a "pre-order"; more of an "i am interested" list. If you provide me with your email address; I'll offer a coupon for this product as a "thank you" and would only be valid for a week or two after product launch.

If you want to see more pictures (or comment on the caps); please checkout my thread here on Pinside:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stng-popcaps-any-interest/page/2#post-3832378

2 weeks later
#1783 6 years ago
Quoted from Ordinal:

If anyone can offer some advice, the right cannon often won't fire when I pull the trigger.

Sounds like a cannon loom issue to me. You might want to order a replacement kit or follow the advice of others here about testing for broken wires in the loom.

Quoted from Ordinal:

Also, the top diverter is not diverting. It is very resistant to triggering. I've tried lubricating the arm, because that's all I really have in the way of parts.

Have you taken it completely apart; cleaned the diverter where it mates with it's sibling?
I'm pretty sure I took my whole diverter out of my machines; and removed all traces of dirt, oil, etc. then re assembled.

Quoted from Ordinal:

Finally, the left lane return's eddy sensor is extremely weak. It will only trigger on one side of the resistor, and even then the ball has to be touching the wire.

There isn't much too that eddy circuit. You might need to get a replacement sensor or send yours out to get re-done.
Since the eddy sensor has a disconnect-able "sense" inductor (the "resistor" thing you talked about)... swap it with your other sensor on the right return lane. If the sensitively issue follows the inductor; you can eliminate the eddy sensor board and look to see if the sensor wires are tight in the IDC connector.
If it stays with the board; then you may have a cracked solder or some other defect on the board.

1 week later
#1788 6 years ago

The only on I know of is the red dot. I'm assuming someone custom created one.

#1790 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

orange ones for accuracy

:Cash register sounds: in the background

3 weeks later
#1824 6 years ago

Jeremey,
Check the trough for divots which would allow a ball to hang in the trough.
I'd also check to make sure the balls didn't get magnetized for some reason.

1 week later
#1826 6 years ago

I'd like to announce immediate availability of my STNG Popcaps for #Star Trek: The Next Generation with a 10% discount and 10% hurricane Harvey donation match.
Uniform Color OptionUniform Color Option

#1833 6 years ago

Agreed... that was painful to look at.

FYI; due to #Irma; I've extended my Hurricane_match on the STNG Popcaps until the end of the weekend to get some more donations matched.

1 week later
#1848 6 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Just got a sweet documented HUO sttng.
I gotta say I was missing out not owning this game sooner.

Look nice to say the least.
Mine is at best Player's Quality... some dumbarse fiber-glassed one of the ramps on the PF so there is some Fiberglass in the back orbit. I haven't torn it apart to assess the issue as it still plays good.

I see you've got the STNG VUK decals... why haven't you upgraded the KBOP and more importantly the PopCaps?

STNG PopCaps - Example InstallSTNG PopCaps - Example Install

#1864 6 years ago

Star Trek Discovery premiers tonight after the game on cbs. Watch it!

#1872 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

custom cut third pop bumper cap ...

Or my STNG PopCaps?

Maybe intermittent LED strip every other light or something? (pictures?)

Have similar issue. I'm thinking a DotStar LED strip under the upper Glass channel driven by a arduino.

#1876 6 years ago

Kronlar,
Are you going to HAAG in Houston in Oct?

If so; I can bring my stng products to the show if you are interested.

Keep in mind; I'm nearly out of stock on the purple WingLEDs... so if you want a set in that color; you need to order now as I don't intend to restock anything other than Red in the future.

#1889 6 years ago

It was explained somewhere... but I forget specifically...
I think the officer requires a buy in... or maybe you need to actually get to a specific rank. I just don't remember.

#1900 6 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Maybe I can find someone at the Games workshop store to paint my ships,

I had
http://backalleycreations.blogspot.com/2013/06/attack-of-borg-ships.html
paint my borg ship and cannons to match each other.

IMHO; the hallmark upgrades are better for Klingon and Romulan ships. I personally still need to install/do my Romulan ship.

#1902 6 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

I assume that is where I would find info about their work, would love to have them do the paint work if I can't source it locally. At least the ship comes off easy enough.

Yeah, basically.
For me I bought a new borg ship from PinballLife... and a set of cannons from Mick I think.
Contacted Matt at Back Alley (via email IIRC) and asked him to do the set.

1 week later
#1909 6 years ago

No. L7 on ipdb is stock.
You have to apply the ghosting patch separate from available roms as Mr Personality actively trolls for modified roms.

#1911 6 years ago

LED OCD is overkill and really on applicable to GI and is much more expensive than a patched rom.
Ghost patch is for controlled inserts.

Not saying OCD isn't a good product; just that I prefer my the GI to be Incandescent on this game.

#1914 6 years ago
Quoted from pzy:

9 balls ended up being ejected from different parts of the game

9? Hopefully, 6.

2 weeks later
#1922 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i hang out and chat with him, and give him tips, and then sometime between 1am and 3am he leaves. he just raves about what a great game it is, and has no interest in playing any of my other games. he's getting pretty good ... he can make Final Frontier occasionally, but I don't think he's done it with 4 artifacts yet. he also hasn't made warp 9. but he's definitely improving!

hum... sounds like a opportunity to get some more space for another game.
"loan" it to him for a while.

#1930 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Do these optos go bad often?

I have never had a flipper opto need cleaning... much less go bad. The flipper optos are different products than the standard optos. With standard optos; the epoxy discolors with age (changing from a blue to orange tint)... leading to eventual IR transfer issues. the Black U-channel optos used in the flipper mech are industry proven parts that were used back in the day for every ball mouse made; so they aren't generally known to be sources of problems.

But that shouldn't mean it doesn't happen.

I'd check for binding on the button's assembly first then clean.. then if it still happens; check for binding while stuck up.
Else it could be a cold solder joint on the relevant boards.

1 week later
#1943 6 years ago

Now thru Cyber Monday my STNG Popcaps and the STNG WingLEDs are eligible for our 16% off Sale while supplies last. Discount does not apply to shipping.

Must Enter Discount Code: BF2017

#1949 6 years ago

I need a borg decal on my ship.... one of these days; I'll make one.

#1955 6 years ago

Good eye. I'm going to see if I can get one to do a test install on my machine.

#1958 6 years ago

I'm going to look at using some #2-56 screws to mount to a new plastic. Should be cast metal; so a #2-56 tap would work.
Probably be a post-Christmas project.

#1965 6 years ago
Quoted from kevindrives:

I finally bought my first pin and it's a ST:TNG! Very exciting. My father in law loves it too!

Time to start the upgrades/Mods.
Enjoy. STNG was my first entry into the Pinball world... you'll pry it from my cold dead hands.

#1969 6 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

Hmm, maybe Zitt will figure out how to put some lights in the Eaglemoss model for us! It would be pretty cool if the nacelles glowed light blue! Hint hint zitt

Quoted from Cheeks:

Exactly who I was thinking of since I have MULTIPLE of his mods, but I wasn't gonna call him out like that (although I do agree with you).

No worries. I was already planning on looking into it when my ship arrives.
My biggest concern of course is that it's diecast metal... that makes it difficult to light up.
It does look like the nacelles lenses are plastic in the pictures... if so; would be a good candidate if the nacelles can be detached from the ship.

Quoted from Paulb:

I have one for sale

One what?

1 week later
#1992 6 years ago

I'm considering getting one. Not to install; because my Translite has all the actors signatures.
Tough call.

#2000 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

If you ever decide to part with it ... PLEASE contact me and let me know what you want for it

LOL. ok.
I bought the glass from CPR last night.
Right now I'm thinking of making some Art for the arcade using it...
I think if I ever get in a situation of having to sell anything... I'd sell the game first; with the glass and the translite when I'm just about homeless.

#2005 6 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

What would be awesome is if you could scan it, and digitally isolate the signatures, then print them out on a clear insert we could layer in between our translites, so we could all have the signatures too!

Why the heck would I do that?
The whole point to having the autographs is to have the memories of standing in line to get the autographs.
Would anyone REALLY pay to have digitally reproduced signatures? Is that even legal?

I have an awesome memory of one of the actors... that has led to TWO trips to see that actor and his personal machine.
First one to drill the lock, remove the original OEM batteries, and the next to install a Titan Pinball rubber kit.
Not saying that's the norm; but that's kind of the point.

Urban is suppose to be on the Star Trek Cruise... I hear he's a pinhead; so I'm looking forward to his reaction when I ask him to sign the Pro translite I will have in my possession.

2 weeks later
#2068 6 years ago
Quoted from newmanoconnor:

Your boards are amazing. However, they are expensive, and in the case of my STTNG incompatible(without a mod I’d rather not make) since I have a kbop led mod.

There were some suggestions here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-mixing-gi-ocd-and-kbop-mods-issue#post-2783358
basically; you'd want to bypass the OCD for the Hallmark KBOP.

One of these days; I'm going to "get around" to buying an OCD for my STNG... Just haven't been overwhelmed with a desire to join the crowd. I still like the incandescent look in many games (in GI).

2 weeks later
#2110 6 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Mine bounces off the metal backstop somehow and does not fall in the hole most of the time. Really annoying and I'm having a tough time telling why it's bouncing off.

Check to ensure you top drop target assembly is secure and tight.
At TPF in a recent year; mine wouldn't autolaunch into the top hole because the assembly wasn't secure and the top drop surface wasn't high enough in the PF hole. The result is that the ball lost all of it momentum trying to get out of the drop hole that it wouldn't reach the rear hole behind the drop.

#2112 6 years ago

If that fixed it great; BUT, please make sure the screws which mount the assembly to the underside of the PF are tight.
If they are; you fixed it.
If not; you'll need to tighten the assembly to the PF and then re-adjust the drop target.
On my machine; that drop assembly has been removed so often that the wood had begun to strip.

1 week later
#2131 6 years ago

Does anyone have a picture of the attachment points for the launch habitrail on STNG?

I've been test playing a lot of STNG for a new project I'm working on and noticed that my right cannon is regularly hitting the habitrail when I try to hit the neutral zone during Battle Simulation. I recently took apart my right side ramps to install my POP caps and thinking I may have reassembled it incorrectly. Maybe be as simple as not putting the washer in the right place. This "problem" wasn't there before my disassembly.

#2134 6 years ago
Quoted from radium:

I had the playfield up... dropped a screw... 90 minutes later and I still can't find it. I heard it bounce off the subway and that was it. This has got to be the worst possible machine to own if you have arthritis.

Check the woofer on the bottom of the cabinet. I can't tell you how many times I've had a screw drop and attach itself to the speaker.

Pin_Guy ... many thanks. I have the large washer ontop which might be the problem. I'll move it to the bottom.
Also; I don't have spacer between the two habit trails. It hasn't since I've owned it. At least that's what I recall... will go check the machine shortly.

I just posted about my Rear GI lighting project for STNG:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stng-a-reargi-prototype
for those that may be interested.

#2137 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I seem to recall there is a lot of positional movement to these rails and it took some time to get them positioned properly.

I moved the large washer to be between the plastic and the bottom habitrail mount and it "fixed" it. Just a small movement in the Z direction was enough to get the ball to clear the habitrail.
Thanks.

#2143 6 years ago

Nice game, looks pretty good.

But you missed a few mods you might be interested in. (shameless plug)
STNG PopCaps
VUK dresskit
Klingon Bird of Prey WingLEDs

#2150 6 years ago

Bend a coat hanger. Worked for another customer.

1 month later
#2184 6 years ago

When your used search fails; Starship Fantasy has them... or did at TPF'18.

#2187 6 years ago

Check fuses.
Sounds like the fuse which supplies opto power gave up.
Measure them as good out of the circuit - with a DVM.

#2210 6 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

My unregulated 12v was at 14v and my 12v was right around 12v

That sounds reasonable.
I'd look to see what upstream from the bridge rectifiers could be an issue because those voltages seem correct.

1 week later
#2243 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

proper repairs of thru holes mean installing solid copper eyelets of the same inside diameter and pad size as the original

Duuuude.... Can you share some info on how you did this?
I'd love to be able to do that kind of repair on my boards.

#2248 6 years ago

Daymn... That stuff is expensive.
I'll look at it in greater detail after Apr 15th. ;D

#2250 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

The kit pictured is in a really nice felt lined metal box and was manufactured in the late 70's or early 80's; this was one of the manufacturers sample kits they they would provide to the larger repair facilities. I consider myself very fortunate to have acquired this kit.

I'd say. I'd love to find one on ebay one day.

1 week later
#2267 6 years ago
Quoted from SaminVA:

I agree and I happen to have a video for that too.
» YouTube video

Yuck. I'd have replaced those LEDs too... The crap brown color is a good indication of poor IR transmission as the Epoxy has "yellowed" due to emitting IR radiation for 30ish years. It's cheap at $0.74/ea insurance policy.

They should be this nice Blue/purple hue
QED223A4R0_sml[1] (resized).JPGQED223A4R0_sml[1] (resized).JPG

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/on-semiconductor/QED223A4R0/QED223A4R0CT-ND/3907905

The main reason I mention this is I was having a lot of issues with my Optos and it wasn't until I went in an replaced every one of them with new ... did my flaky opto issues go away.

#2273 6 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Topside tear down...

@Blitzburgh99... are you planning on doing some PopBumper maintenance on your machine before you put it back together?

I'd recommend a set of STNG Popcaps, EVOs, and some PopBumper Bodies if you are. I have some clear and red popskirts coming from Pinball.Center (hopefully ships on Monday)... so you might be interested on those as well.

#2278 5 years ago
Quoted from PTHermes:

Ordered some caps and bridges; wow does a Marco order add up quick!!
For being 25 years old, the board is hack-free, so I guess I can't complain.

Geebuz... how much is the Marco markup on that?
I understand the ease of ordering from a pinball supplier... but I'd almost always recommend going with a true Electronic Device supplier like Mouser or Digikey.

2 weeks later
#2292 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

remove all the balls and look at your switch edge test; any opto that is not closed will require attention

I'd also check the IDC connectors at the trough in switch edge test by wiggling the harness.
On my STNG; the IDC connector's displacement grove was just plain worn and the wires were making intermittent connection leading to "multi-ball".

#2294 5 years ago

I've never personally had to replace the transistors (receivers)... but I imagine if you have a bad surge event; it could fry the photo transistors.

#2297 5 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

I replaced ALL opto pairs and have ZERO issues.

I sorta agree. I has so many opto issues that I replaced my brown LED emitters with new blue ones because the difference in IR output is much higher.
I do think replacing the phototransistor is a little excessive; but given how cheap they are; I can't argue to aggressively.

1 month later
#2330 5 years ago
Quoted from radium:

My right canon rotates and then weakly vomits the ball, seemingly in the same position each time. Happens about 80% of the day time. The trigger does work and shoots the ball normally. Weird.

I'm not sure there is anything wrong if does it after a full rotation.
Mine does something similar as a "time out" for not pulling the trigger manually.
I think it's part of the software to autoplung after so long.

Others can chime in if they know differently.

2 weeks later
#2355 5 years ago
Quoted from chriz99:

thanks guys, here are some more pics

Get some STNG Popcaps on there... STAT.
STNG PopCapsSTNG PopCaps

3 weeks later
#2385 5 years ago
Quoted from kevindrives:

I have a blue strip in the back above the borg ship. Adds a nice glow up there.

I agree... I did this:

#2388 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Anyone add any LEDs to the small [Klingon] ship left side ramp? It has two lights under the wings!

Yes it's been done... but I personally think my product is better (so you don't have to look at the bulbs) at all. You can find more detail in this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stng-wingled-kit
BUT, you'd have to upgrade yours to the halmark version. ;D

#2392 5 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

I picked a different color, and my only regret is that they could have been brighter had I chosen the white.

Have you tried turning up the brightness knobs under the wings? There are two tiny variable resistors that should allow you to blind yourself.

Quoted from Hammerhead:

Agreed! It challenges your soldering skills but looks great once its done!

If that is a challenge... then DO NOT try the DEST Enterprise mod.
I honestly never considered the STNG WingLed mod to be complex... but I guess it is if you don't feel comfortable with a soldering iron to begin with.

Quoted from Mocean:

Lighting the Romulan ship scared me, too.

I have a Romulan BOP pre-modded in box... for years... and I haven't installed it.
I'm still trying to decide how I want to do mine... and, IF I want to do something special.

I think it's time to go pull mine out of the box and see what the original modder did.

1 week later
#2396 5 years ago

Announcing a soft launch of a new product I've been working on for a few months... I finally got a product I was happy with so I'm making them available to all Star Trek pinball owners.

This product originally started as an embellishment for the Data East Star Trek machines to go on top of the "Red Alert" flashers:
Condition: Red (Alert)Condition: Red (Alert)
This Data East kit comes with 4 "Red Alert" Decals for 7.49USD w/ free shipping if ordered alone:
Data East (example install)Data East (example install)
Data East (incandescent flasher bulb)Data East (incandescent flasher bulb)

I then realized the kits could be expanded to the Williams Star Trek: The Next Generation.
On the STNG; the kit only comes with a single Red Alert decal for the beta ramp; so is considerably cheaper at 2.49USD.

These are in stock now and available for immediate shipping.
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/modifications-bolt-on-mods-alert-flasher-decals-p-46.html

1 week later
#2400 5 years ago

I'm waiting for Tuesday to deliver some smt parts for my rendition of the wingleds for romulan bird of prey. I'd like to thank pinguy for giving me the incentive to look at the "pre-modded" Romulan ship I bought from another vendor... I took one look and knew it wouldn't work. Those bone strokes drilled holes in the back of the wing and the nacelles to wire in what looks like a single LED then put green heatshrink around it to "cover" the damage.

I designed a new circuit to replace the two incandescent bulbs with green leds and added a place for a center white led sorta like this picture:
https://goo.gl/images/EBzV6w

I'll post pictures later when I verify functionality.

#2402 5 years ago

Check your fuses. Check all voltages

#2404 5 years ago

Logic would dictate something connected to J116 which according to page 3-24 (manual) is +12V.
I think 12V also runs the optos which would explain the autolaunch of balls. Maybe F114 or F116... but I'm guessing F116 which is TP1 and LED7. If TP1 does not have 12V and Fuse 116 is good; then you probably have a bad BR5. According to WPC DMD schematics.

#2417 5 years ago

Pinball.center ?
If so, I can get them with next order

#2419 5 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Hey thanks! I emailed them to ask if hey would ship US. Will PM you if not.

If it's pinball.center... They defiantly will not ship to US.
Well documented here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/german-mail-forwarding-workaround-for-pinball-center

I am a distributor for some of their products... and I'm going to be finalizing an order with them in the next few days.
Now is the time if you want me to add some lane guides from them.

#2420 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I have a Romulan BOP pre-modded in box... for years... and I haven't installed it.
I'm still trying to decide how I want to do mine... and, IF I want to do something special.

I think it's time to go pull mine out of the box and see what the original modder did.

Ok. This weekend was my birthday weekend... I spent it making my own version of the Hallmark Romulan Bird of Prey for my personal STNG.
I went and looked at the pre-modded, supposedly plug-in installable in my machine and quickly realized it wasn't up to snuff. The other guys' mod was basically a single LED heatshrinked to each nacelle. That wasn't up to my quality.

Using PinGuy's posts (above) as a reference... I went all out. Early last month; I designed a Romulan WingLED PCB which would take 6.3VAC GI in... and the flashlamp ground to provide interactive gameplay. Basically; the nacelles stay dimly lit when the romulan flasher is off. But, when the flasher comes on; the nacelles go to full 20mA brightness (two per nacelle) and the white LED comes on to give a physical implementation like this screen grab from Memory Alpha:
D'deridex Class rBOPD'deridex Class rBOP

Remember; the Romulan Bird of Prey looks like this as stock from Hallmark:
Hallmark Romulan BOP - stockHallmark Romulan BOP - stock

After taking my BOP completely apart and installing the WingLEDs; I made the executive decision that I was going to paint mine as a nod to the original series with an actual Bird of Prey paint job. I painted all surfaces of the BOP while it was apart. Here's a Sneak peak:
paint - In Progresspaint - In Progress

Once I had the BOP paintjob complete; I reassembled it. I then realized that I wanted the BOP more "green" than perl-green (as stock from Hallmark) so I mixed my own airbrush transparent green-black cover to seal the bop paint and give it more of a Romulan feel. No; I didn't use any photo's as an idea for what looked good... I just kinda went all out which my own color scheme. Here's the final comparison:
Stock vs Zitt's PaintStock vs Zitt's Paint

Another view:
Subtle BOP markingsSubtle BOP markings

One final view to match the original reference shot:
Money ShotMoney Shot
https://www.flickr.com/photos/52968060@N00/42798112860/sizes/l/ (<--- Click me for high rez picture)

I still need to order a new flasher dome from PBL... and probably a Green flasher from CometPinball... then I'll be ready to install it in my machine.

So; what does everyone think? Worth the extra effort? Would ya'll like to see a blog write up documenting how I painted the ship? suggestions?

2 weeks later
#2423 5 years ago

I finally got to install my custom Painted personal Romulan bird of Prey with prototype Romulan WingLEDs...

Before (stock rBOP)Before (stock rBOP)

Zitt's custom rBOPZitt's custom rBOP
In this picture I wasn't able to capture the green flash bulb going off... but you can see the white LED lit. I'll have to try to do some fancy tripod shots to capture the flash sequence.

More high rez pictures at my Flickr feed:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/52968060@N00/sets/72157604320572388/page2
at the bottom of the page.

The WingLED circuit leaves the nacelles dimly lit (powered from GI) when the flash isn't active.
Nacelles dimly lit - custom paint - in gameNacelles dimly lit - custom paint - in game

When the romulan flash goes off; the nacelles go to full brightness and the white LED comes on and stays on for about 400mS after flash turns off.

I've put the Pinball-Decal's romulan ship up for sale in my shop:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1122-pinball-modscom/01982-star-trekthe-next-generation-romulan-ship
if anyone is interested in it.

1 week later
#2427 5 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

I think the previous owner took advantage of that in the past.

Sorry; not high enough rez picture... does the machine have those awesome popcaps? if not; it might not be a good idea to show the wife...

Oh; and my advice... don't start getting autographs on the translate... that can be expensive.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-most-you-have-paid-for-an-autograph/page/2#post-4391973
worth it; only if you are a fan who enjoys conventions.

1 month later
#2487 5 years ago
Quoted from Celofane:

Just a little game to test Final Frontier with my fresh Pinsound card

Not too bad... I question the use of what appears to be a DS9-ish theme on the Final Frontier... but to each his own.
Nice looking machine... even without my mods. ;D

#2509 5 years ago
Quoted from Staf:

i have gone in test mode , and they dont light up

Also check the Flasher menu.

I know when designing my
the Borg ship has a flasher mechanism in addition to standard "lamp" matrix mechanism.

#2521 5 years ago

In case you missed in the BF thread:
Pinball-Mods.com is having a site-wide Black Friday / Cyber Monday sale.

All Pinball-mods.com products are 18% off - Must use discount code: BF2018.

All Pinball.Center products and STNG VUK kits are on sale for 10% off - No discount code needed.

All sales will end at 11:59pm on Cyber Monday (11/26/2018). Shipping is not discounted. Limited to stock on hand - No Rain Checks.

#2523 5 years ago
Quoted from Bos98:

I have about 100 opto transmitters and receivers I replaced all of the ones pertaining to the left cannon while I had it opened.

I actually got fed up an replaced every opto in the game with fresh "blue" lensed IR transmitters and I haven't had issues since.

#2525 5 years ago

Thinkgeek's site is failing to keep up with the web traffic.
I can't order my wants... giving up.

#2531 5 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

That is a great idea. I'll see if I can figure out a unique combination of flashers/motors that will let me detect one/both of those events (and then something to signal the canceling of them to return the LED ramp lights to "normal" behavior.)

Another idea I'd like to do is to use the pinduino to just drive LEDs in the Borg ship. It would be great to have it green (never understood why it has blue film in its cutouts) in normal play, and then flash red when hit in multiball.

On my STNG RearGI project; I connected up to the lamp and Flasher matrix with an opto matrix. On that project; I made "blue" or "green" borg an option.

The Borg ship is blue because if you watch the episode; the "Type 3 ship" which is based on has blue "windows".

#2534 5 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Would be fun to talk shop at some point.

Come to TPF'19; and we can.

#2538 5 years ago
Quoted from mrpilkington:

Thread lurker here. Thinking of picking up a heavy project STTNG. Does anyone know of a populated, or mostly populated playfield for sale? A big plus would be with wiring harness. Or just a separate wiring harness for sale too.

Nope to all questions.
I doubt you are going to find any populated PFs. Most smart people will see the project knowing that parting this title is not logical - just too good of a game that can command a really good price.

#2542 5 years ago

I have personally never had a Receiver go bad. The material used in my machine was probably everything but IR blocking (IE the black color) so it's unlikely the epoxy dome would become IR resistant. I don't think the emitters are usually black; maybe a trick of the camera... or mouser got lazy and used a photo from the receiver on an emitter.

Sadly; It's been several years (read 4+) since I replaced my emitters so I don't have an exact part number handy. I'd think any of these would likely work in our application:
Digikey IR 940nm Emitters

If you look at Digikey: QED123 is clearly pictured as having a light purple or bluish lens... so yeah; Mouser's picture is suspect. The datasheet backs this up: "clear, peach tinted, plastic". Black is NOT correct.

4 weeks later
#2625 5 years ago
Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

Started playing with the Hallmark Enterprise ornament. Here is my question, and I tried to find some answers on here, but could not find anything conclusive. The box reads to attach to 5V - 6.5V light bulb chain.....so I connected it to my variable power supply with 6.5V. Well, the light are very dim and the LED on the top (navigation light) does not turn on at all. Once I increase the voltage to 12V, the lights had a good brightness, and the navigation light started to blink like it should. So it sounds like I could simply attach it to the GI 12V?

Not familiar with an Enterprise mod? You mean you're trying to connect to a Enterprise-D?
Like this?

If so; Christmas Ornaments which plug into the string are ALWAYS AC devices... just like the Romulan and Klingon Bird of Prey. This means these devices almost always need the 6.3VAC GI circuit; not a DC power supply. If you don't connect these device an AC source; the lights won't blink. 12VDC seems way to much and will like burn everything out in the ship in short order. Additionally; to protect the ships from melt-down; you almost always need a serial resistor on the ships. I was looking for the original R.G.P thread on the ships; but can't seem to find it on google.

TBH; I'm kinda surprised you went with the decal on the popcaps instead of my STNG popcaps:
STNG PopcapsSTNG Popcaps
More detail in my thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stng-popcaps-any-interest

#2627 5 years ago

As for your popcaps, I saw yours, but I was too cheap

It's alright... you'll come to your senses.

1 month later
#2717 5 years ago

I have a refurbished Pinball.Center set of stainless steel extended ball guides if you're interested.
Send me PM.

#2747 5 years ago

I'd check to make sure your ramp isn't set to low causing the ramp flap to become a "ramp" which causes the ball to "jump" off the ramp and hit the underside of those plastics.

#2757 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

No, this game shipped with only 2 covers on the pops. There simply int room for 3; most folk cut one to fit and add it as it looks naked without one. Nothing should be hitting the ramp, is it possible something is not assembled correctly?

Correct. Mine had two; and I found a ?r.g.pinball? post or a website which descibed the process.
I agree; The pop bumper right shouldn't be hitting the ramp. I'm more inclined to beleive:
1) the Beta ramp is loose and is "flexing" on the pop bumper body scratching the ramp.
2) the pop bumper body is loose, scratching the ramp on "pop-ing".

Once you figure it out; I'll shamelessly recommend my PopCaps for your game. I personally think they make the pops SO much better and I even include a "cut-down cap" for under the beta ramp. ;D

#2773 5 years ago

Omg...tell me it has new balls in it now!

#2783 5 years ago
Quoted from BCpinhead:

Thanks for the display recommendation , but how do I tell if I have a plasma dmd or a led one? When I look at it it looks like tiny LEDs?

You appear to have a original DMD (which bobukcat called plasma).
The original display was plasma based; in that the orange color is generated by electrics entergizing noble gasses in the display to create plasma and emit orange light.

Some people (myself included) prefer the ColorDMD products which include color dots for this game. This means that all the display animations were artistically colored. Example:

You don't appear to have a colordmd and the prices are north of 400usd usually.

Most people prefer the LCD versions of colorDMD rather than the LED version because you set several different modes. Sadily; I can't find a video explaining / contrasting the different types of "dot" modes.

3 weeks later
#2841 5 years ago

The hallmark is not dropin compatible with the gi.
You need current limiting at a min or it will burn out in hours.
There is an RGP thread available from google which talks about the series resistor values.

Yep, that's what I did, it's ~3.6VAC instead of the 6.3 I was expecting.

More than likely, your meter isn't a true RMS meter. Is it a cheapie?
Make sure the GI isn't in "dimming" mode.

If you're looking for a more modern solution; Please see:
http://Pinball-Mods.com/url/stngWingLED

2 weeks later
#2865 5 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Is this likely a board issue or a connector issue? The one LED on the board is lit red so I have power.

Most likely a bad IDC connector. Look to see if the wires are not secure in the "pinch" points of the idc connector.
On mine; I had to actually replace that IDC connector with real crimp-on connectors so it would be rock solid. Given the game is over 20years old; the vibration has cause those IDC blade connection to just go bad.

1 month later
#2991 4 years ago

Repairing the wire harness only works if you crimp on new connectors with brand new wire.
Soldering broken wire will only yield broken wire after so many turns of the turret.

Replace the entire harness with a brand new one... if one wire was broken; they all are suspect now.
I speak from experience.

#2993 4 years ago

I've toyed with the idea of having replacement looms made; but I'm not sure they'd sell honestly.
Where did you end up ordering replacement looms?

#2998 4 years ago

Pinbits had them for 17each. I'd replace both.

#3000 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

They're sold out and i'm fairly certain the pinball heaven kit does both cannons.

That's a good deal if it's both canons. Seems a little too cheap; but if covers both canons; a win for a local Austin guy!

#3013 4 years ago

Appreciate the effort... but I don't think the LED looks better than the LCD.
Given you've put the camera at an angle; makes me suspect that the LED is just too bright.
Furthermore; What you haven't mentioned is that with the LED; you don't have the option of selecting different dot styles at tall. It's one and done. If you don't like the LED "dots" - too bad... your stuck with it.
STNG was the first LCD ColorDMD I purchased. I'm happy with my purchase and this video comparison really doesn't change that decision.

#3018 4 years ago

Pin_Guy,
Sorry; that must have come across as criticism when it wasn't intended to be. I appreciate that you did video the two.
I'm sure there are some people out there that will as well as it will help them to decide.

Good job. Thumbs up!

Quoted from Pinless:

Let me know if you can tell what’s going on from the pics. Thanks in advance for any assistance you could provide.

I'm about 90% sure that hinge on the bottom "shelf" is suppose to be attached to the double standoff bracket above.
My game is still wrapped up from Pinball show; so I can't grab a shot of it myself. maybe someone else can.

Quoted from PinJim:

. This mornings fun was the “missing” pop bumper cap. I used the template from this website (thanks!!)

But... But... What about my popcaps? They come pre-cut to fit under that ramp. ;D

1 week later
#3061 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

Anyone got any idea's here? Maybe the all knowing pin_guy? A

I assume we are talking about the CPU board. I'm looking at:
Williams WPC DMD Schematics 16-9473
pp4 (WPC CPU Board Sheet 1 of 1) [Page 2]

I assume you are talking about R59 connected to U19D (LM339):
U19DSTNG (resized).pngU19DSTNG (resized).png

shows it's clearly at 1kresistor. Given it's in series to a comparator; I'd be surprised if it wasn't 1/4watt but I don't see any notes on that schematic page confirming that.

#3072 4 years ago

In honor of Captain PicardDay; I'm doing a
16% off sale
for all STNG Products. Don't snooze... cause this deal disappears on Sunday Night my time.

2 weeks later
#3147 4 years ago

My father is in town today; and the damn STNG wouldn't work. I've done no debug yet...
The game resets withing 5mins... and the flippers reset the game in milliseconds of flipping either flipper.
My gut tells me that one of the power supplies is low. If anyone has any quick thought; I'm open to it.

#3150 4 years ago

The line voltage could be low; but the reality it is the same location it's been in for over a decade.
I'll methodically go thru the game checking for ripple and DC voltage on the game before moving on to more shot gunny type things.
IIRC; I don't think I've had to do any power supply work on this game so it's really due.

1 month later
#3227 4 years ago

Did some work today on my STNG... got it working; but not 100% sure the reason.
Measured TP3 (12V) and got 11.88V. All other voltages looked ok.
Pulled PDB to look at solder joints. Reflowed BR1,BR2, C6 and C7. Replaced C2 as I had one on hand.
Reflowed Q2 (12Volt Vreg) and looked for any additonal cracked solder joints. Re-installed; resets gone - Voltage still at 11.88V. Connectors look good. Browned pins were already replaced a couple of repairs ago.

I'm about 90% sure the caps are original to this board and machine as I didn't actually see any fresh solder joints on the caps.
May go ahead and put together a cap kit for the board (Digikey) so that I have it on hand when I have more problems.

#3229 4 years ago

IPDB.orghas the rom file.
Do you know anyone with an EPROM programmer?
https://mattsbasementarcade.com/product/star-trek-the-next-generation-sound-rom-set-l-1-u2-u8-bally-williams-roms/
seems to be able to make them... have no affiliation. Random first link found by google search.
I could do it as well; but I'm not sure if I have stock of the right size EPROM.

#3231 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

I could have my eprom re-programmed, but I’m not 100% sure it’s a software issue.

It probably isn't. I rarely hear of "corrupted" ROMs unless they are left "open" to light. Most have light blocking stickers that prevent them from going corrupt.

That said; I looked at my stash. Have smaller 15, 32, and 512k eproms… but no 27c040's (4Mbit) which the schematics claim U5 is.

#3236 4 years ago

Probably. The masked roms could be an early version or something.

#3238 4 years ago
Quoted from dashv:

Thinking of picking one of these up restored from a distributor. Anything I should be on the alert for/ask about specific to this game?

I'm assuming you'll be paying top dollar; hence Distributor:

Look for acid damage on CPU board. Look to see what rom the CPU board has. Confirm IPDB.ORG claims LX-7 is the latest CPU code. IF they have LEDs installed in Inserts; verify and ask if they've installed non-Ghosting patch to the ROM. Else look closely to make sure the LEDs in the machine aren't flickering.
Look for burned traces on PDB.

Look for PF damage at Neutral Zone hole and to a lesser degree; the back drop target.
Look for cracked/damaged Ramps at entrance holes. IE where the ball would cause most damage. Verify pricing on a ramp set before you go.
Common Mylar damage on the top "delta/insignia" insert between beta ramp entrance the side wall at the "Exit" of launch orbit. Verify the subway nexus is clean. It should be clear; not sliver. IE if dirty; it will look like silver mirror. Clean; it will be effectively clear. Ask when the PF was last fully shopped; IE teardown complete topside to clean; else you'll have to do it at some point. Ask them to show you the diode tieback solutionhas been implemented to avoid burning boards later..

Play several games. Verify no credit dot. Make sure rear drop target assembly is working right but using diagnostics to raise and drop the target under cpu control. Make sure assembly isn't "loose" from stripped out mounting holes.
Standard shop job; Is it clean? are the rubbers new? All lamps working. Look for cracked / damaged translite. Check for binding on both cannons.
Common to see cracked ART plastics. The one between the neutral zone and advanced rank is usually cracked at the tip.
Slingshot Plastics; usually have chips on the corners. Plastic near the back drop target is usually broken just behind the hole.
Plastics under the Side lane feeders usually are broken. If cracked; look before you go at CPR's STNG plastics. Know how much to expect to pay for a new set of plastics.

Test solenoids in diags to make sure all diverters are working.

Just my thoughts for initial quality checks. Remember; this machine can be a bear to maintain due to complexity. Be comfortable that the whole machine is "A++" if your paying A++ pricing. Remember to expect problems and be comfortable to fix.

Research pricing here in the market to get a range of prices. Superclean, no issue machine would fetch higher. A "flipped" dirty machine would fetch on the lower end. Again; Distributors will claim this been restored with all they did was wipe it down and throw some rubbers in it. All of the above will help you determine how much the distributor really did.

#3241 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Does anyone have part numbers for the wire connectors that go to the 7 opto trough boards?

Are you talking about the IDC 0.156 connectors?
There has to be a VIDs guide on this; right?

#3246 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Who else was going through his list thinking “yep, had that, fixed that, still broken, need to check that, oh crap I have that too” ?

Yet no upvotes.

I speak from experience.

I was just looking at my machine this weekend repairing the Power Driver Board. I had to do more adjustments to be back drop target a day or two because it was shotgunning after repairing it for "Credit dot". My Drop Target was "stripped" due to constant repair which came to a head a couple of years ago at TPF. The three wood screws were stripped and I had to find a toothpick or two for onsite repair before I did a real repair with wood glue when it got home.

I have burned traces which someone repaired. I repaired burnt connectors last time I had it on the bench - even installed new crimp on connectors. Still have broken side plastics and the plastic between neutral and advance rank. I repaired the rear plastic:

I still have ticking timebomb of tieback... lazy, it's 104 with 112 heat index right now. So no chance until winter- maybe.

My local friend has an STNG with the delta damage... and was saying how it bothered him greatly. His he said looked like someone took a Dremel to it. I'm seeing the mylar on mine beginning to bubble. So I know it's going to be a fix needed soon - hopefully an easy repair.

My machine was an Auction machine from unknown heritage - probably a routed game. I paid "top dollar" back in 2007... and it was dirty with all kinds of issues. I still haven't bravely tore down the machine for a real shop and clean. So; if I were paying a distributor "top dollar"; I'd expect him to do it for a "restored game".

Finally - I know this is going to be dismissed as "too expensive"... but given this machine's current market prices... and the fact that this was said:

Quoted from dashv:

it is a top dollar price and they are claiming a full work over on the machine and a 90 day warranty.

This right here should give you an immediate pause / WTF moment. You aren't getting a deal. You will be on the upper range of pricing. This game needs to be perfect. DO NOT TRUST the seller - I don't care who it is... unless is direct from HEP himself.

You need to discuss a refundable deposit to hold the game.
Pay Frontier airlines or some other cheap airline.
Go see the game and look at it with your own hands.
If it is an A++ game or you can get a more in line price... then pay them and watch them wrap it up for shipping or whatever.
Just don't "trust the seller"; you'll probably end up regretting it.

Re-Read that above... and seriously consider it. I can't tell you how many times we have heard "stories" and regrets.

#3262 4 years ago
Quoted from dashv:

It’s M&amp;P Amusements selling it for $6,495 with a 90 day warranty/support.

Here's the thing... You can't go see the machine first hand; therefore, it's not local to you. This means shipping - since if it were in driving distance; you'd go drive and pick it up.

So; that 90day support is effectively worthless.
How are they going to resolve issues you find? Are they going to pay a pin-tech to come do repairs?
Get this in writing.

IT's all in what YOU think the machine is worth; and you still haven't gone to see it.

I'm going to assume based on your statements that you're new to Pin ownership given a NIB AFMr experience.
You didn't say if the pin was a "Grail pin" for you... Are you buying STNG because your a Fan; or because it's #3 on IPDB.org?

IF your a fan; and this game is a keeper for you... and your not afraid of the complexity / repair mountain in front of you... then $6500 is probably worth it.
However, if troubleshooting isn't in your vocabulary and you're not a Show fan... then owning this pin is going to lead you to sadness. It's going to suck the joy away from owning pinball.

For me; I actually like working on the machines more than playing them and it shows in my skills when playing. I actually welcome project pinball machines because I like making them better than they are.

It's ultimately up to you.

PS Upvoting:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3264 4 years ago
Quoted from dashv:

This is a good datapoint too. This is the exact scenario I’m afraid of with searching for a deal. Not to mention your time is worth something too. So I’d say you have well over 6k into it.

I paid about $2400 in hammer price and fees when I bought my STNG at auction in 2007. It was my FIRST pinball machine. It had cannon issues; opto issues; and all the other things I stated above. I have probably another 1500 is parts and mods in my machine. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything... it's what helped me launch my Pinball hobby and Mod businessso it's worth it to me.

#3267 4 years ago
Quoted from dashv:

It looks like I can’t upvote on the phone?

Click the yellow 1 pop cap icon in the same location next to the 6minutes ago timer (in your picture). That will allow you to upvote on mobile.

Given what you said above; then It all comes down to one simple question:
Is the 2-3k "premium" plus shipping worth the "hassle free" 90 days of play?
If yes; then buy it.
If no; then maybe pick a players condition up here in the Pinside marketand save yourself the cash for your next game. You know there will always be a next game; right? ;D

#3293 4 years ago

It's mounted to the plastic bolted on top of the beta ramp.
Most say it's suppose to be mounted with the back of the shuttle facing the player (flying up the beta ramp).
Mine is mounted flying toward the player.

#3295 4 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

Using the screws on the ramp?

No; I believe they bolt thru the center of the plastic. There should be holes there. I'm sure Pin_Guy has a picture of it... he seems to have nearly everything pictured from his restore.

#3323 4 years ago

I did solve my rando ball problem. As pin-guy suggested.
Mine turned out to be the IDC connector's "teeth" no longer gripping the power wires going to the LED board. I replaced it with a proper crimped on version and no more problems.

#3324 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

That said; I looked at my stash. Have smaller 15, 32, and 512k eproms… but no 27c040's (4Mbit) which the schematics claim U5 is.

Pinless … I ordered some 4Mbit eeproms from a China "pull" vendor … just so I had some on hand.
I'm assuming you're good... or you got a prom from PinGuy. If not; let me know.

#3327 4 years ago

Check for pinched wires or something.

2 weeks later
#3429 4 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

not necessarily “trekkies”.

Look at my collection here on Pinside... I think you'd find I fall into the latter.

#3435 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The outstanding Bird of Prey mod is already installed!

Great; glad to hear it!

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Now if I can just find a replacement for the lame-o “Einstein”

Are we talking about the shuttle craft?

If so; there was a post about someone using a slightly smaller shuttle craft here in the thread. Here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/40#post-4104815

#3443 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Just in time...

Looks 3D Printed? how'd you accomplish this? did you scan in your existing ship some how?

#3451 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

extracted a model from one of the games and converted to a 3d printable file.

As is a video game asset; or shuttle from the Pinball game?

I once tried heavily modifying a Sketchup model... but it became so complex that I had to semi-perm retire the project as there was no guaranty the resulting model would be water tight / manifold / printable.

#3468 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Is there any sort of deflector that can attach to the wire to keep the ball from hopping over the edge, or any other way to reduce the frequency of this happening?

Just spit balling here...
check the coils from one side to the other... are they different?
Maybe the left VUK has a stronger (and incorrect) coil?

Is the VUK damaged? Maybe broken welds? Could the ball be "deflecting" the top of the VUK causing it to allow the ball to travel further than the right VUK? Has the VUK been repaired on the bottom of the assembly? Could the VUK assembly be causing a weird trajectory of the ball when it feeds it?

1 week later
#3505 4 years ago

PinJim; somewhere I saw a pinball company selling a waterslide decal for that place.
I think it was overseas; maybe ministry of pinball.

That should be fairly easy to repair when you want.

Mine also has mylar bubbling there; but I haven't made any effort to correct because of stories like yours and a local friend of mine.
Maybe one day I'll strip the PF and give it some attention. But given the complexity of the PF; I think it'll be a project I tackle when I retire from Day job.

#3518 4 years ago

Flippers work by enabling the ground.
This sounds to me like there is a mushroomed, magnetic flipper plunger, and/or a broken flipper return spring.
But I guess it might also be a bad opto or the circuits themselves.
That's said; I'm not sure I've ever heard of the circuits themselves causing problems like this.

#3539 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

If you have the metal sticker kit that Zitt sells, he includes a “Red Alert” icon that goes on the upper right flasher, which I believe is the same image

The sticker is not part of the vuk kit. Separate.

#3544 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Coming along with the enhanced shuttle craft...

Getting kinda jelly tbh.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Correction. But you DO sell it! And it looks really good

yeah; sorry - was shorter than normal in that reply... on phone; hate typing on mobile.

4 weeks later
#3595 4 years ago

Blue windows are original.
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Borg_type_03

The windows in that episode are blue.

1 week later
#3625 4 years ago

I use cliffy exclusively.
I feel the neutral zone cliffy works fine. Play better

#3627 4 years ago

just the opto.
If you replaced it and the photo-transistor; it's probably upstream. Like the Opamps/comparators.

1 week later
#3649 4 years ago

I'd have to see it IRL to be ok with those decals. May be a bit much.

That said; I had my Borg and cannons by Matt at Back Alleyand I'm pretty happy with the results.

For me a subset of these decals might be better.

#3651 4 years ago

sebo, are you planning on selling these decals? Providing files? or just a one off for your personal use?

#3666 4 years ago

My STNG popcaps_are 19% off for Black Friday - must use BF2019discount code. All other pinball-mods products_are on sale too.

1 week later
#3677 4 years ago

Buy with confidence from
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/game-specific-products-star-trek-the-next-generation-stng-vukbracket-dressing-p-25.html

The inferiors ones here on Pinside are printed garbage - a knock off Nycon's originals.
Mine are

laser etched by Nycon himself... I have never had a complaint.

LovelyCoCoNuts / @amalong - Mine ship from Austin,TX I *think* the inferior ones ship from Australia.
Also hole; protectors - are you talking about Cliffy's?
http://www.passionforpinball.com/sttng_scoop.htm

1 week later
#3687 4 years ago

I wouldn't panic. Mine also rotates both on power up. Nothing is wrong with my machine.
I don't think there is any issue if the cannons both rotate.

#3694 4 years ago

I get it... but for me; if it an't broke … don't fix it.
With STNG; you just gotta wait... somethin' will break. No use fixing a non-problem.

#3700 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

1) Anything I should do other than diagnosing low voltage and replacing caps/BRs according to best practices to track down those resets?

Makes me think the issue is a shorted diode or coil in the diverter arrangement in the subway. Or the upkicker in the left vuk. Test them all in solenoid tests to see if any will cause a reset.

Quoted from spblat:

2) Will I be able to replace the required caps if I start with the wick and work patiently without a legit desoldering station? I have four WPC machines; all of them could probably use some preventive cap/BR replacements.

Doubt it. IIRC; the caps on WPC are snap-in types. You proably won't be able to get the solder joint hot enough to use the wick with a off the shelf iron.

Quoted from spblat:

3) Is the tie back mod on the drop target coil(s) still considered 100% essential?

I haven't done it... but then I'm asking for trouble. The tieback mod prevents blowing an entire board full of drive transistors.

Quoted from spblat:

4) Should I pick another ROM on general principles?

I believe LX-7 is required for proper ColorDMD operation. The danger is ColorDMD may "miss" a few frames of an animation if there is any graphics changes between LX5 and 7.
I'd do a LX-7 w/ no ghost patch if you plan (or already have) LEDs in the switch inserts.

#3704 4 years ago

Sounds like a voltage issue for sure.
Do you have the transformer set for your correct voltage?

#3713 4 years ago

same problem I had with mine. You just got to remember these ships aren't ment to come apart once manufactured. have to be prepared to roll with the punches.

#3718 4 years ago

I also replaced with leds because I didn't want the heat of the bulbs warping the ship. Also; I question the long term reliability of a incandescent in the nacelle of a ship in a vibration area.

That said; I get not taking it apart.

1 week later
#3758 4 years ago

Marco sold replacement looms for $49. So; no I don't consider 55/pair expensive.

#3770 4 years ago

Guys - check your batteries. I make it a point of swapping batteries at every TPF regardless of their age... that way; I know the likeliness of leakage is near zero. One day; maybe I'll covert to nvram.

#3774 4 years ago

I had just swapped them 9 months ago.....so I cannot blame myself for not paying attention to it....what's your take on punch vs crimp though.

Yikes, Duracells?
Strangely; my two Ballys ( Star Trek Star Trek: The Mirror Universe ) have remote battery packs; but my STNG and DEST does not. I think it comes down to not having the CPU board out of the games long enough to do a remote pack.

My take is crimp because I trust crimps more the Punch … my opinion differs form Pin_Guy … but to each his own.

1 week later
#3810 4 years ago

Heads up: Star Trek: Picard premiers sometime today (Jan 23) on CBS All Access. Not sure what time; as CBS hasn't offer that nugget of information.
Outside of North America; it premiers on Amazon Prime Jan 24th.

If you didn't watch "The View" this morning; Patrick Steward was there talking about his show. He dropped this bomb on one of the hosts.

#3821 4 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

Here are the second generation STTNG decals with gold and colour!
Fully laminated on stainless steel film.[quoted image]

Thanks for ripping off an original mod and making it inferior. Class act all the way. You're paying Nycon a royalty, right?

#3827 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

If you like the look of those decals and wanted a set of your own shipped from the states, what would you recommend?

Original mod here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-sttng-mod-for-ball-popper-housings-and-other-parts
His are printed stickers

For the record, I'm about 90% sure this dude bought a nycon set from me a scanned into his computer and now duplicates the inferior copy onto sticker stock using his printer.

#3837 4 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

Get real Mr.Zitt!

Sure let's get real.
You couldn't even be bothered to come up with original work... so how can it be:

Quoted from BioBa:

The artwork resolution of mine is also far superior.

when it's obvious to everyone who is paying attention that you exactly copied everything from the Nycon design. It's obviously a SCAN of the Nycon layout. So you are saying you painstakingly created every piece of art by yourself AFTER receiving the parts from me? You couldn't even be bothered until recently to "change" your print from black and white exact copy to "somewhat" color.

Quoted from BioBa:

This forum is for people who like STTNG pinballs and topics related to it. Your commercial driven biased opinions don't belong here.

Look... I participate in this thread. You don't. My commercial bias is well founded.
Sure it's just "coincidence" that you posted your blatant copy after I mentioned Nycon's were on sale on my site after saying how much I enjoyed Star Trek: Picard.

Quoted from BioBa:

For the record my decals are not inferior in any way. As a matter of fact they are superior. I have seen the laser etched version and did no like them.

I'll let the community figure out for themselves if your product is "superior". It's obvious to anyone that you didn't have this "idea" until you received an original set.

Quoted from BioBa:

The metal is unprotected and goes dull over time.

Lies. The material laser etch by Nycon is a bushed metal laser plastic. It can't go "dull" as you put it.
My original set still looks exactly the same over 1.5 years later. Do you live in an atmosphere of HCl? :rolleyes:

Quoted from BioBa:

My decals are fully laminated for the brushed metal to stay shiny for ever.

Product positioning. You had to laminate your stickers because
1) Yours are thin garbage... you had to make them resilent to avoid scratches by a fingernail.
2) Inkjet prints smear when people touch them... especially on this type of material. You have to laminate your stickers to keep the quality "on par" with Nycons.

Quoted from BioBa:

They can also absorb ball hits much better.

LOL. Ball Strikes? On the outside of a VUK housing... On a switch bracket above a ramp?
Man, I don't want to play your misadjusted pinball machines.

Quoted from BioBa:

And thirdly the adhesion film I use is the best money can buy.

That's right; because you're a material expert. You've tested your Nycon sample chemically and know there is something wrong with it?
Product positioning.

Quoted from BioBa:

In regards to "ripping off" I find it quite hilarious that you have stolen, reproduced and sold the original Star trek artwork but claim royalties for those stolen images for yourself and your friend.

Pot... hello kettle.
I'm not sure I'd be saying that given you literally scanned a Nycon copy and inkjet print them to sticker paper. You couldn't even be bothered to come up with an original design.
Congrats; you win the argument. It's obvious you have a superior product in every way. Bravo. :rolleyes:

I'm done defending Nycon's product to this "commercially biased" copy-cat. I'll let the community decide if they want to support the original designer or the copycat. For the record; I don't make these product. Nycon - the original artwork artist does. I import them from Nycon. So; I support the original artist.

#3839 4 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

Dude you are out of control! I have never seen that much BS in one post! This forum is for STTNG fans not for your rants. Get a life.

Great fact driven response. Not a personal attack at all. Gotcha.

Posts by BioBa… 12.
Posts by Zitt… pages … too many to hand count.

1 week later
#3874 4 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

For those who have the laser cannons like Mick sells and have the updated hand painted style, how, if at all do you attach the lasers? Or can you not use the lasers?

I used his cannons w/o lasers. No problem. They actually look pretty good when painted by Matt at backalleycreations:
My CannonsMy Cannons

#3892 4 years ago

Maybe you should start exraying pinball parts.
Anyway; welcome to the club! Enjoy your stay.

#3907 4 years ago

That ship is not part of the machine. Its an add-on mod. Without knowing the manufacturer, your stuck.

1 week later
#3954 4 years ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

That’s the Romulan Warbird in the back corner, came on every STTNG. Looks like this one may here been modded a bit but it looks good. The Enterprise is an added mod.

Specifically; the Romulan in that picture is a hallmark ship. The original was not that detailed and did not have the Nacelles lit.
The original is a glued two piece unlit model which is only "reminiscent" of a Romulan ship.

#3967 4 years ago

Funny, I look at the dmd when Playing video modes, and when I launch the ball... And when in at final frontier... And when I make asteroid shot... And....

4 weeks later
#4113 4 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Is there anything missing here (to the left of the Neutral Zone) besides a screw on the plastics?

Yes, that plastic typically extends down to the last post forming an arrowish shape. Plastic basically follows the keyline on the art (outlining wood).
My game also has that broken plastic. Common for most games.

Quoted from Mathazar:

I'm guessing a previous owner secured it with a nail? That should be a regular screw-post, right?

yes; and the alpha ramp - and a ?cliffy? ramp protector should attach to it. In your picture your ramp is broken and the plastic is missing.

Quoted from Mathazar:

Recommendations? Focused wet sanding?

Common. Leave it alone unless you want to replace the inserts and/or a new PF.

1 week later
#4141 4 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Is there a Left/Right balance control for the speakers either in the adjustments menu software or a pot or something on the sound board (I can't find either)?

I doubt it / don't think so.

I'm about 90% sure that WMS did this on purpose. The left and right speakers are actually different and probably address different tonal ranges. IIRC; one speaker is bigger which means it's probably handles low to mid range. While the other has a smaller cone and maybe a tweeter built in for better "high range".

I think WMS "tuned" the speaker setup to get the best overall sound based upon some assessment. Of course; they probably did this once in a different model; and replicated the same speaker setup across many games/models.

I'm no audio expert; so others feel free to chime in.

1 week later
#4192 4 years ago

pfinny; I agree.
I want disappointed when my new Monsterbash had a Rotten PowerDriver board. But what are you gonna do?

#4221 4 years ago

yeah; the first set doesn't look right. Wrong enterprise. Wrong insignia. Wrong era.

#4223 4 years ago

Maybe he's a fan of the Ent-E... which is ok.
I tend to agree it shouldn't be on this machine; BUT, it's his machine. I wouldn't judge him too harshly as long as it's the right show / era.

That said; We don't really know what STD Season 3 will do for the timeline.

1 week later
#4235 3 years ago

I would be surprised if Pinball Life didn't have those lane guides.
If you can't find them. I'm doing a Pinball.Center group buyin a few days... They seem to have them in stock... if this is the correct one:
https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts/playfield-parts/lane-guides/1875/lane-guide-1-3/4-red-transparent-double-sided-03-8318-9

#4240 3 years ago

The only de-hacked STNGs are ones that have undergone a complete restore.
I'm sure I have a few hack in mine I don't know about.
I *KNOW* mine has fiberglass resin on the PF under the borg ship... I just haven't felt bored enough to start the restore on this beast like PinGuy.

#4252 3 years ago

Agreed. The plunger looks like it may be sticking "out".
if so; that would block the opto/receiver pair... causing the system to continually try to eject the ball it thinks in cannon.
it will stop if you can tap the plunger to cause it to retract at the right time in the cycle.

#4256 3 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

but as top 100 superfan of the show (not verifiable, but I'm probably close),

Sorry. No.
In doubt? Did you go on a Star Trek: Cruise recently?
Do you have autographs of all the major cast on your backglass?
Did you travel to many conventions to get those autographs?
Do you personally know one of the actors...and have worked on his personal STNG machine to drill a lock, pull the batteries, and replace the degrated rubber litterly falling off his machine?

If you answer no to any of those questions? If so; see statement #1.

That said; I do need to look into Pinsound... just haven't because... see above.

#4270 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

gave the trough board and optos a look-see as eaglepin recommended. I found this mess at J1 that I now cannot unsee.

Yeap; common problem, common hack.
Mine didn't have that; but the IDC connectors were toast.
As a "hack" I cut off black and yellow wires (12VDC); and crimped a new 3pin connector on it... because; well; I didn't want to recrimp all the connections... telling myself; I'd do it right later. That was several years ago.

The right way to do this; (Pin_Guy will disagree) is to recrimp the entire connector. PinGuy would say replace with a new IDC connector as they work good; but I personally HATE IDC connectors.

While there; replace the header on the opto board to. IE replace the connector and the pins at the same time.

1 week later
#4309 3 years ago

I'm going to go out there and say there may be nothing wrong with your machine.
To Be continued flashes for me in attract mode and during lamp test - IIRC.
However, it does not work at end of game during buy in.

I haven't tried troubleshooting extensively; but I'm actually thinking either there is a manufacturing defect. Or; the game code is broken.
Of-course; this all could be a bad dream too. YYMV.

#4313 3 years ago

Seriously, I'm thinking this was a miss in QA.
As the game works perfect, is just the button doesn't flash when you think is should

1 week later
#4334 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

They're flipper positioning holes, you align the bottom edge of the flipper to the hole. You can put a toothpick in the hole and rest the flipper on the toothpick when tightening the flipper bat - remove the toothpick afterwards

I use an appropriately sized allen wrench.

#4337 3 years ago

sweet jeasues.... how tight did those heads have to be to snap off like that?
I'd never torque down on nylon like that... leads to cracking.

2 weeks later
#4373 3 years ago

Public service notice that all of my Star Trek products are on sale for 16% off for Captain Picard Day until 6/19/2020.
See: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1day-only-sale-capt-picard-day-6-16#post-5048311

#4375 3 years ago

That's pretty weak sauce; Marco.
I haven't had a single linkage break on any of my games. I rebuilt mine about 2 years ago with parts from PinballLife.com... haven't had any issues.

#4381 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Then you can go with some fancy lit ships, side blades, metal decals to cover the metal poppers (from zitt ).

Thanks. Most of the products talked about here are currently on sale thru 6/19 for Captain Picard Day.
http://pinball.click/STNGMods
I personally think the ColorDMD is the best mod for this game. I have yet to try Pinsound on any game.

+1000 for the 9 hour round trip. I'm not sure I could do that.

#4388 3 years ago

I think it depends on who built the cabinet... and what machine CNCed the Playfield.
IE it's random what machines are tight and which aren't.
i don't do mirror blades; but I have beat the hell out of my art blades on Stern Star trek.
as I result; I havent installed my Monster bash side art yet.

1 week later
#4407 3 years ago

Lube should be used only on metal to metal contacts like the diverters. Not on plastic drop targets.
Lube on these parts leads to problems including attracting dirt which gum ups the lube.

If it's not catching; it's proably a broken ledge item 14 in the drawing.
The bump near item 9 "catches" on the ledge 14 in the up position.

#4418 3 years ago

I disagree. The whole back of this game is way too dark. The borg and romulan ships just disappear.
Maybe decrease the brightness of the strip.
I really liked my solution... but, never got enough interest to take it into production.

2 weeks later
#4432 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

All retailers seem to be out of stock

Is this a temporary situation or do you think it's the beginning of "unobtainium" problem?

How many people really need this spinner assembly?

#4468 3 years ago

Order direct from cliffy at passionforpinball.com

1 week later
#4480 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Played a test game and got my GC.

That usually happens to me... when I give my game a little "love" it responds with a better score. Not sure why. Happens on the Bride of Pinbot at work too.

2 weeks later
#4543 3 years ago

IDK. Check the schematics.
I'm guessing they go to one of the J11?6? GI lines. Check for burnt connectors.

1 month later
#4601 3 years ago

Usually my site, but I'm backordered

#4604 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I thought you were importing these from someone else, since he's in Europe would it be better for him to order them elsewhere? Just trying to help out, not trying to cost you sales or anything.

Nycon has went MIA since covid .

#4629 3 years ago

Is this even a picture of a stng machine? Not sure what I'm even looking at

#4634 3 years ago

I also have them both on my website for cheaper.
http://pinball-mods.com/url/stngCrankArm

CrankArm_03-8620[1] (resized).pngCrankArm_03-8620[1] (resized).pngCrankArm_Small_03-8619[1] (resized).jpgCrankArm_Small_03-8619[1] (resized).jpg
#4640 3 years ago

Search this thread about the cannon looms. They tend to go in and out of stock regularly. There was a discussion about them recently tho.

3 weeks later
#4736 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeSinMD:

Does anyone know where I can buy a set of the metal lane extenders? Thanks! Mìke

The only place I know of is Pinball.Center but they don't ship to the USA.
If they are the only vendor (I think they are); I'm doing a .

1 week later
#4749 3 years ago

Not available. One would have to recreate the bracket with the letters cut out. Sounds prohibitively expensive.

2 weeks later
#4804 3 years ago

Sounds like the diverter shaft is gummed up with old grease and dust. I know others have ideas... I haven't tackled mine in more than decade ... so don't remember what I did specifically.

#4809 3 years ago

Pretty sure I used a similarly sized "test tube brush" I had lying around to clean the inside of my diverter.
Something like this:
http://Pinball.Click/tubeBrush

#4815 3 years ago
Quoted from Digduglus:

Looking for suggestions.

Matt @ Back alley creations does an awesome job. That is who did mine

#4819 3 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

I've got your Nebula and Warp Ramp LED mod on my

If you haven't already done so Pop Caps for Stern may go back in stock in the next few months. The defective caps are at a local anodizing shop to be corrected. Then I'll have to laser etch them. There will be no more than 10sets available and Wait-listers will be in order received.

Of course; if you want the STNG pop caps - I have plenty of stock of those.

#4828 3 years ago
Quoted from Haggy38:

Hi guys,
Just finishing some details on the ships and canons, some gi leds and long path ahead for this restoration.

If you like it ... congrats.
For me; all that blingy chrome/candy on ships/cannons looks ... wrong.
To each his own tho.

1 week later
#4880 3 years ago

I'm wondering if the white interrupters are translucent to IR emitted light... which is why they don't work.
You could try spray painting the interrupter blocker or using nail polish to block the IR light from the LEDs in the emitters.

1 week later
#4933 3 years ago

Did you replace the cannon looms?
It sounds to me like the wires inside the cannon looms are broken which leads to "lost balls" during the game.

#4935 3 years ago

None specifically with the information given. Sadly; I trouble shoot via problem solving; given you've done the shotgun approach of replacing everything - I can only assume something was done wrong.
Might be a good time to "get back to basics" and restart the troubleshooting.

Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

1) Do you use a pinball cover, and if so, what do you like??

I use PinShields exclusively on all my pins when stationary. I like that I only have to roll/unroll them when I play.
I have Pin Armor for moving my pins between the arcade and offsite events.

Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

2) Do you use an external 12 power supply for mods like lighting led strips, etc? if so what did you go with?

No. I'm a firm believer in using the existing power supply. I haven't yet found a need for an external power supply in any pin.

Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

3) Has anyone did a mod to cover up the ugly section where the ramp feeds the Borg ship?? Crap, you see the opto boards and end of ramp fittings, looks crappy.

Hasn't bothered me to the point to even figure out what you are talking about.
A picture speaks 1000 words.

Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

4) Do you have a favorite pinball table leveler ? What do you use.?
thanks man

I use to use an old Android App on an older flat bottom phone... but I lost the license when I moved phones. I really hate that software developers seem to think it's ok for you to re-buy their app when you get a new phone.

#4938 3 years ago

I'm not aware of anything that would cover that area.
The Nycon VUK kit I sell does not have anything.

It looks like a problem area because of the screw holes / Washers.
I do have some scrap VUK material here and a laser cutter; so "in theory" I could mock something up.
That said; I haven't looked at my machine yet... and don't have any Ideas on how to cover it graphic wize.

#4947 3 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

I wish we could show Zitt some love for his designed STTNG custom designs interactive backboard mod. Possibly if more people knew about his concept mod from several years ago, enough would show interest to make producing the product practical.

The backboard mod he's talking about:
We never got even close to the 50 interested people mark.

#4949 3 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

I'd love it, but not in those colors. I'd be in for one in pure white.

The colors can be changed for the main borg color - by jumper setting. IE blue or Green in the center of the strip. I have mine set for Blue to match the blue windows of the borg ship.

Pure white makes zero sense. How is that better than simple white led strip?
Confused by your statement.

1 week later
#5002 3 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Do they use a lot of power? And is it 12 volt power? Anyone have any installation tips or suggestions??

Never installed the lasers as I thought they'd be pretty cheatable.
That said; It really depends where the lasers install. I "assumed" they attached to the blinking cannon insert / bulb under the cover - but I'm not sure.
Regardless; I wouldn't think the laser would draw more than a 100 or two milliamps. I can't image they are any more stressful than three or for #555 lamps.
Honestly; that is a question of Mick's pinball:
https://www.mickspinball.com/star-trek-tng-laser-cannons
I'd contact them if you need support.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 64.99
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 85.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 63.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
518 posts in this topic match your search for posts by zitt. You are on page 1 of 3.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zitt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club?tu=zitt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.