IMG_20240414_093008 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240414_092918 (resized).jpg
UWB DMD Speaker Panel (resized).jpg
17022 (resized).jpg
IMG_2120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2194 Fix for low 12V voltage and slow cannons. Linked to ColorDMD Install. Posted by mavantix (6 years ago)

Post #2578 Hallmark Romulan Warbird modification Posted by Pin_Guy (5 years ago)

Post #2659 canon gearbox; detail photos of innards Posted by scooter8416 (5 years ago)

Post #4774 Tubing used for ends of flipper return lanes. Posted by Gogojohnnyquack (3 years ago)

Post #8277 Disable Officer's Club from the high scores in attract mode. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Post #8653 LX-8 ROM Release with link and description. Posted by ingo333 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5816 2 years ago

I just joined the club myself. Trying to revive a neglected game (it will clean up) and just got the MPU rebuilt and installed NVRAM. I was looking at the A-16100 8-driver PCB and would like to confirm the wire jumpers on it since one looks like a wire was added later. There is a jumper in PW1 and there is a wire jumper to set SW4. Is that the correct setting for this game? If so I have some 0 ohm resistors and will clean up that jumper.

The game continually shoots out balls and if you start a game they never drain. The optos in the trough are a mess. Will probably replace the boards and fix the old ones as a backup. Also noticed F103 is blown.

Hoping to get this sorted out (and at least rebuild my old optos) so I can play it this weekend.

20210617_234943 (resized).jpg20210617_234943 (resized).jpg
#5819 2 years ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

looking closely at the picture - the Transistor at q12 is broken and one at the back cracked - see the cracked black material - these 100% need replacing..
I think you need to check all of the transistors to make sure no others are dead - use a multimeter - loads of how to's available.

I saw that Q12 and the jumper and that is what prompted me to pull out this board. After washing the board all the transistors look fine. Tested them and Q15 is shorted. Will replace that later today. Before putting it back in I need to lookup what it controlled. Also will look into TIE back mod that Eric_Manuel mentioned.

Would still like to confirm the SW4 / PW3 jumper setting.

The opto boards for the trough are pretty scary. At least the one closest to the front of the game is. Will probably replace them (any preferred replacements?) but I should have parts for a temporary repair on that.

Appreciate the tips! I’ve had to repair many of the boards used in this game for others but this is the first time I’ve had the full game and one of my own. Really excited to get this running. Also finally gives me a good way to test DCS sound boards after repairs. I could do those and check most in the bench but nice to run in an actual machine to verify.

#5821 2 years ago

The photo helps but also makes me more concerned about my board. Your jumpers are set to SW2 and SW4. Mine is set to PW1 and rejumpered to SW4. I’m guessing this was probably replaced before and came out of some other game. Maybe someone else can chime in to confirm for sure they should both be set like your board. Problems with these games is that so many parts and boards got swapped around I can’t make any assumptions that any of it is correct until I check it all. A lot just got parts tossed in enough to make them work enough to play. I want to make this one right.

There shouldn’t be a need to replace any of the other transistors other than the one that failed. Will check the associated diode and pre driver transistor. I have all those parts on hand and the proper equipment to swap them. Been doing board work for years and often have to fix the aftermath of others “attempted” repairs and end up replacing pads and building new traces. At least this board isn’t burned up.

#5822 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

IMPORTANT my new STTNG Pin friend. Research and DO (several of them) the TIE BACK Mod. It sounds like there be something already done, but DONT leave it to chance. Why. Because you will continue to burn up and blow the components on that very board until you do. Just do a search and there are info. After blowing up a board, I took the advice seriously. Also you will save some subway coils in the process too
Welcome to your first RESTORATION improvement

Thanks for the tip about the TIE back mod. The nice thing on these older machines is that most of the weak points are known and once addressed are solid.

Just learning all the specifics on this particular machine. It has some boards like this one that I don’t have in any of my other games. Most of the boards I’m very familiar with so it’s just the incremental part for the additional boards and things to watch out for on this title.

So far I’ve only had a chance to rebuild and cleanup the MPU. Did install NVRAM in a socket but could go back to a coin cell and regular SRAM if this game uses the time. Wasn’t sure yet if it did since I though only a couple like TZ used it.

#5824 2 years ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

Screenshot from the manual - according to this you need a resistor between - W4, SW2, SW4, SW6.. That is exactly what mine has - perhaps another user could make a photo? Can you take a top-down photo so we can see all of the red cable etc?
You are right -if it was on location, the chances of it being swapped from another machine is high...[quoted image]

Awesome! I missed that part in the manual. Either a jumper or 0 ohm resistor will work. I have a bunch of the 0 ohm resistors on hand so will use those to match what should be on the board.

From that page in the manual it looks like two of my jumpers are incorrect. I also need to move PW5 to SW6.

Over lunch I'll fix the jumpers, replace the bad TIP102, and do that resistor pack mod so the board will be set. Will need to do the tie back mod and check the coil the bad transistor was driving before putting this back in.

#5836 2 years ago

So I had a chance to dig into my project game and it is going to be a much longer road to travel before it will be playable. Numerous wiring hacks to sort out. Biggest surprise was the flippers. The upper right flipper is dead and noticed someone had removed the fliptronics II boards and replaced them with standard leaf contacts like my old Bkackout. I’ll have to reterminate the wires there but now I need to track down a pair of those fliptronics boards for the flipper buttons along with all the hardware that goes with them. The flipper board is still in the head and not sure yet if that was bypassed soon.

#5840 2 years ago

Thanks for all the responses as I am still learning about this particular title. So are the boards for the flipper buttons the same one for fliptronics I and II? It looks like Pinball life has the whole kits (as well as the drop assembly that I need) so that may work. Just wasn't sure yet if those were the same.

Can't wait to actually play this but I have a lot of work to do. Pulled the rest of the boards and going over the driver now. Have one eddy board to fix. It detected the ball but no output.

After seeing all the things that were done and wires cut/spliced I am amazed that it ever actually worked! This one will be an adventure for sure.

#5843 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Have a link? I did not see these available on PinballLife.
Don't be concerned with assembling this, all you do is set the spring on the plastic interrupter then snap the board onto it and call it done.

This is the link:

https://www.pinballlife.com/fliptronics-1-flipper-opto-board-set.html

just not sure if this will also work on this game. If not does anyone have a source for the correct one?

The ends were cut but I have the correct ends and can crimp on new pins. More concerned with getting all the correct replacement parts. Lots of weird things and wiring throughout the game I need to fix but will make it right. I'm sure I'll be asking on this thread for lots of reference photos as I go!

#5844 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Having taken 5 months to restore my STTNG, there is a lot to do to
As mentioned before, Williams designed these machines with 16 sets of OPTOS. There is an Opto Board with possible heat damage located under the playfield, on the left middle. As you also work your way through the machine, you'll likely want to just replace the 27 year old ones, with all new ones.
There is a redesign on the transmitter and receiver boards for the ball trough. If you've had somebody hack your board with a soldering iron, you should replace the set. This machine can be a pain tracking down a "missing ball" issue, all based of the operation of the optos.

If you really want a deep dive, go back to page ONE of this Blog, and go through each page
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

All great advice. I already rebuilt my opto board for the trough and have that working. Pulled the rest of the boards and am going over them now. I prefer rebuilt original boards over aftermarket for most. Been doing board work for years and spent many hours undoing and correcting other people’s hacks to boards. Have done several boards for Star Trek for others but now get the fun of the game itself.

The 16 opto board is one of the few that looks good as it is. The rest need work,

#5848 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Thanks for the link, I did see those on PinballLife but they are not the correct part; I already linked you everything you need to replace the filpper opto assembly with the proper parts. Remember, you will need to order two of everything if replacing both of them. This part should line up perfectly with the three original mounting holes in the cabinet.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club/page/117#post-6344343
If you prefer you can substitute the $19 Control board in the original link for the $25 one that has 5-pin optos and is linked below.
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-A-202071

Found the correct boards at Pinball Life:

https://www.pinballlife.com/fliptronics-type-2-opto-board-replacement.html?Category_Code=

and

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-flipper-opto-interrupter.html

It looks like Marco sells the flat steel spring for these but not sure if they are needed for these ones from Pinball Life. If so I'll have to make another order.

Fixed my Eddy board today. It would sense ok but had no output. Fround a broken lead on the 2n3906 transistor at the body of the part. Just put in a new one and that is set.

Also ordered the first wave of parts to start to get it back together!

#5854 2 years ago

Has anyone reproduced the cannon wiring harnesses using the super flexible noodle wires? I can see that in one of the cannons a couple wires were abandoned in the harness and a couple individual replacement wires run. At some point I'll want to install fresh sets but since it moves so much they should be made with the super flexible wires. If no one is making them then I may just build my own set.

#5858 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

But saying that the cable wiring was the issue is shortsighted and ignores corroded connectors and cracked solder joints as likely causes even though these are the two biggest issues you find on these older machines; Based on my own research and conclusions in this matter the original cannon loom was removed, cleaned, inspected, and reinstalled back in my machine during the complete restoration on my own machine where it is working flawlessly after 28 years in service.

You're totally right about all the possible issues that can come up and I need to resolve many of those on my game too. Plenty of cold solder joints, cut/spliced wires, and some connectors where the wires came out of the IDC plug and others just soldered right to the board. I'm going to undo every hack on my game and put it right. My cannon harness is also damaged, had some extra individual wires run, and should be replaced.

I have no doubt that if the original harness is installed correctly it would last a long time. But it has been a long time and since I have to replace it anyway thought it is worth asking if there is a better alternative. Personally I think the noodle wire would be an upgrade and should never need to be replacedit again. (Another game that needs it even more is the helicopter in Rescue 911) Anything that moves constantly can benefit. You can prolong it if you have the proper slack in the cables. I've run into a similar issue on the Makerbot style 3D printers when an axis starts to shift. Wire breaks causing an intermittent open and it starts missing an occasional step. I've seen it happen on a printer under 200 hours and others go for a couple thousand hours. Keep extras on hand and treat it as a consumable until I make a better version for that as well. Replaced the one on the printer I use most twice now. That gets a lot more movement so that is more prone to happen. Also had it happen in gripper assembly for certain robots that move quite a bit.

I'll be fine with putting in a fresh set of regular cables for the cannons but if there is a better option i'll give that a go first.

#5861 2 years ago

Does anyone happen to know the screw size for mounting the flipper opto boards on the inside of the cabinet? Looks like there should be 3 screws on each one. If I had to guess I would expect a #6 or #8 screw 1/2" or 3/4" long. Mine were missing.

#5874 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Here is the video I produced for Mick

Those look great! Are there multiple LEDS on each one? How much are they?

#5878 2 years ago

Had the same thing happen with a couple GI sockets on a Flash that I had. Replace the socket and can troubleshoot from there. May have taken out a fuse.

#5879 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

3/8" does sound about right.

With the plastic flipper bracket 1/2” #8 worked perfect for mounting the flipper opto boards. Installed those, cleaned up the flipper wiring, put on new connectors for those boards, and went through the flipper board. All three flippers now work.

Just need to track down why F105 is blowing and then I should be able to play a game.

#5882 2 years ago

I’ve seen pictures that show a graphic that can stick on the vertical board in the back of the playfield. Looks like a nice addition. What are the options for that and where is everyone getting them

#5889 2 years ago

After installing the new flipper opto boards, new connectors there, undoing wiring hacks, replacing the drop assembly, and going through the boards I have my game playing! I forgot just how fun this game is and am looking forward to spending time playing this. It is definitely an awesome machine.

Have another batch of parts ordered and need to spend time making it pretty. Need to pull the playfield to work on the cabinet then can move it in the basement next to Dr Who and Bride of Pinbot. I guess now the real work starts on it.

#5893 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Colordmd a must.
I have a few others to suggest, but they would sound like a advertisement.

I just ordered the sticker set for the VUK and the red alert sticjer from you which I think will look really good.

#5901 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Thanks.
I wonder (sometimes out loud) - why more people aren't interested in my PopCaps for this game.
They just aren't selling like the stern version I sold for years.

I think those look good too. May pickup a set when I get to the playfield. Need to order other parts for the game but haven’t made a detailed list yet of what ill need for that.

#5902 2 years ago

Looking for the correct length of the threaded standoff that supports the wireform at the end of the Delta ramp. A part number for that would help. If it’s in the manual then I’ve overlooked it.

#5905 2 years ago

Thank you!

#5911 2 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Once I put them on my Stern ST, I knew I had to have them for my STTNG. Well worth the purchase.
[quoted image]

Things like this are the reason I think that this Star Trek game is going to cost me more than any of the other machines I have! Going to to a few upgrades without going too overboard. There are lots of small touches that look like they coule have been on the machine from day one.

#5913 2 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

So which is better? The NEO board or the PLUS board?

The PLUS. Not only are there extra features it is supposed to have a lifetime warranty vs 2 years of the NEO. This link has a table with a side by side comparison of features:

https://www.pinsound.org/pinball-sound-boards-neo-plus/

I'm not aware of any trade in deals but you can probably find a buyer for your original DCS sound card to offset the cost.

#5941 2 years ago

I have my game running well but still need to replace several more IDC connectors and clean up some wiring. Normally people ask why something isn't working but after cleaning up more wiring issues and hacks than normal a more appropriate question is how did it ever work?

After rebuilding the Fliptronics board, Taking out the leaf switches and putting the correct opto boards for the flipper buttons and putting new connectors there. That restored the upper right flipper. Played a few games ok. The left flipper stopped working. Took a closer look at the wiring by the fliptronics board and the IDC under the ribbon cable had a few of the wires sitting in there but not pushed down all the way. Looks like the prior owner tried redoing those wires but barely made contact. I am going to replace that as well as a few other IDC connectors and will go over every one of the others. That should make it solid. Was focusing on the biggest issues first and then working the rest.

This is a really fun game.

#5943 2 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

One of the first things I do when trying to solve issues is check fuses and reseat ribbon cables, and then check the IDC connections. So many problems have been solved by simply checking these things first. I have read so many times here on pinside of people replacing expensive circuit boards to find it wasn't the problem in the first place.
Here is an example of one of my pins where the previous owner couldn't figure out why it wasn't working right. He spent weeks and $$ trying to fix it. It was just a botched IDC repair.
[quoted image]

Totally understand! I do check the wiring and that is on the list to go back over and tidy up. For the wiring I looked it over to make sure there wasn't obvious shorts of things that would damage the boards. Then I go right to the board work as that is my specialty.

I didn't swap boards around as I typically fix the originals if possible. I installed a couple boards that were missing and then did all my normal board service (an magic) to make sure the rest of the boards would be ok and they would be solid. The fliptronics board had a couple missing parts. The driver board had some wrong parts installed, A couple of the large caps were loose (that was new) and I recapped that whole board. Fixed a connector and repinned GI connector that had been soldered to the driver. Rebuild the trough opto's to fix those. Cleaned up some hackish prior work on the MPU and added NVRAM, recapped the sound board. Fixed the 8 driver board and installed the updates on that. Only boards I didn't need to touch was the DMD as that had been replaced with a newer board and the 16 opto board. For me once I have known good boards it helps me track down open wiring issues. Still going to repin and replace any questionable connectors. I will not use IDC's when I replace them, I hate those connectors. I'll use the more traditional molex.

Need to pull out the whole playfield to fix a few things on the cabinet and plan on dealing with the rest of the wiring issues then. In the meantime I'll probably at least redo the worst offenders. An example is the cluster in the image below. Taped up the exposed solder blobs temp until I get the new connector for that. There were some other wires that were cut (probably for troubleshooting) and then just twisted together. Those will all be soldered with heat shrink.

I believe my game was a re-import from France. Explains a lot of the things I am fixing. But, in the end it will be a nice machine and I am really happy to finally own one of these games.

20210617_134117 (resized).jpg20210617_134117 (resized).jpg
#5944 2 years ago

Also found that when a prior owner replaced the EOS switches they messed up. On the right many of the times it misses the switch and doesn't actuate the switch because the alignment is off. That is on the list for this weekend to address that.

I'm sure I'll find more things on this game to fix.

#5947 2 years ago

Do you still have your old board? Maybe it can be fixed. One of mine wasn't working and ended up replacing one of the transistors to fix it.

#5960 2 years ago

Had a chance to play the STTNG for a bit this evening and it is a much deeper game than I remembered or expected. Never knew about flying the shuttle through the caverns.

How do you get to the mode where the Borg ship in the back fires the ball at you? Haven't gotten to that part yet.

#5991 2 years ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

Hey guys - do any of you gurus have some detailed photos of the single drop target at the back? Specifically the small coil that is attached?
In my machine it looks like the part that gets attracted to the Coil iss too far away so somebody made it stay closer by just putting a long screw into the playfield that kept is close to the coil - I guess I need to adjust/bend it back - so any images of it fully built - away from the playfield would be perfect[quoted image]

Your drop looks like it has multiple issues. Sort of like the one that was on my machine. To save time I bought and installed an entire fresh new assembly:

https://www.pinballlife.com/1-bank-smart-drop-target-assembly-left.html

I did buy some of the spare parts and am rebuilding the original as a spare.

#5997 2 years ago

Has anyone read about the speech quote that was pulled from the game? It is mentioned in this article.

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/archives/willy9.htm

#6000 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

it’s not uncommon to have unused callouts. This is especially true on modern Sterns.
There are many others on the sttng sound roms.

Is there a list of the other unused callouts in STTNG? It would be great if any new code updates for the game end up using some of them as intended.

#6018 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Agreed. but I like the LCD better.

Unless they have come up with a new version with smaller LCD aren’t those a pain to install? Ones I’ve seen are huge. Both the LED and LCD look great but the LED seems like more of a drop in replacement.

I ended up picking up a color PIN2DMD for mine. Have one I installed in Independence Day 4 to replace a bad DMD and was really happy with the way it worked. Colorization support isn’t done for as many games as ColorDMD but Star Trek was one on the list too.

#6031 2 years ago

Has anyone run into the opto issue referenced in this service bulletin and done the mod to the eddy boards? I don’t recall seeing this mod on the boards in my game. Looks pretty easy to do and since it was a recommendation right from Williams I’ll probably do it on my boards at some point.

0535F3C3-43AB-480C-B474-10A650BBE200 (resized).png0535F3C3-43AB-480C-B474-10A650BBE200 (resized).png
#6041 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I'm just saying that there were several different sensor boards all used in the short period of time that STTNG was in production and since the part number of the board this SB applies to wasn't provided you will need to be sure that you actually have one of the affected boards and that it has never been modified before you start cutting circuits.

Well that is pretty much a given. If the board already has the mod I would have noticed that when I repaired one of the boards that wasn’t working. Haven’t had a chance to compare the boards in my game to see if they are the versions referenced in the service bulletin or not. I won’t do any mods that aren’t needed but this seemed like a good idea if anyone is running an early set that this update is out there. Not sure if everyone was aware of it or not.

#6077 2 years ago

Have any of you tried using one of the latest Tilt Audio boards? It looks like there is an altsound set available for STTNG:

http://altsound.vpin24.com/

I have an older board that I was using for another game butthe latest version is supposed to work well with the later WPC games. For the price it may be worth trying it out.

#6081 2 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

I only here people moaning about those boards here, as soon as a new version comes out he releases another.
I had pinsound in my last STTNG but my latest one is staying standard and I’m happy with that.

There has definitely been a lot of churn on that project but the latest versions seem a lot better. Once you get a stable version you can always stick with it. Easy enough to setup new versions on a separate microSD card and if you don't like it just pop in the original microSD card.

#6107 2 years ago

If it is a new to you game it’s a good idea to remove each fuse, check it for continuity, and then check to verify it is the correct amp rating and type fast or slow blow.

Most of the fuses in mine were wrong.

#6120 2 years ago

I need to replace at least the ribbon cable between the MPU and driver but it may be time for a fresh set and replace them all. Where is the best source these days for the cables or whole set? Pinball Life, Marco, PBR, etc?

#6121 2 years ago

I am thinking about getting these pop-caps for my machine:

http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/star-trekthe-next-generation-popcaps-p-24.html

Not sure what color option I want to go with yet. Would like to see some additional pictures of them installed to help figure out which one to use. The example look great and possibly leaning toward the purple ones.

#6124 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

This might have some additional pictures
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stng-popcaps-any-interest
And there is the option to get both colors

One thing that wasn't clear is the one for the third one under the ramp. Is both the cover and LED lamp pre-cut and ready to install or do we need to cut that out following the instructions included?

#6135 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

That’s why I asked, I’m happy to invest in board work if it’s the way to go. I have my STTNG a couple hours north of where I live, so I have to break it down and haul it down where my tech people are. If I can simply drop a new board in and not have to transport it, that would be easier. But if salvaging the Williams board is best, that’s what I’ll do.

If you need your WPC driver repaired let me know. I'm local and can help. I keep parts on hand for repairs and am working on a batch of these drivers now. If your small 8 driver board doesn't have the update to add the resistors on the back it would be a good idea to update that one as well.

Some of the Rottendog boards like their MPU are ok but original boards are best if you can run them.

#6144 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

If I had to purchase an aftermarket board I would take a good look at the products produced by DumbAss ... don't let the name fool you, he's really smart and very detail oriented; his boards speak for themselves.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs/page/10#post-6308140

They are really nice. I built a pair of his WPC MPU boards as spares. Still prefer originals if possible though.

#6198 2 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Has anyone replaced their wire cannons with the cat 5 cable someone had mentioned earlier? My left cannon wiring needs updated. There is no shroud covering the wires. It’s just loose bundle of wire. Will do the right as well.

I wouldn't use CAT5 cable. Even if it is stranded I doubt it is meant to handle all the flexing. Looks like Marco sells a set of Flexible harnesses. Would be nice to see other options. My cables are both working but are really hacked so I eventually want to replace them both.

#6201 2 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Yeah I checked Marco, but man, they want 99$ for a set. Kind of pricey, IMHO

They are high that is why I hope that others will post some sources for replacement cables. I may end up making my own set when I go to replace them.

#6266 2 years ago
Quoted from RellikJM:

Looks ok visually, which is promising. Pinball Life has the fuses you need. Have you inspected the areas where you installed the new sling switches, and adjusted switches recently? Is the lighting mod that attaches to GI for power new or something you’ve had for awhile? Look for anything that might be touching something it shouldn’t.

A lot of times you won’t see any visual damage to U20 if it is bad. But before getting concerned about that yet check your fuses. Are they really blown or not? If they are definitely check for shorts, etc as mentioned above.

#6299 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

What is current guidance for fixing eddy boards? One of mine never sees the ball. I was going to try replacing the pot, reflow solder, remove C3. Anything else?
Anyone use these chips?
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_4&products_id=188

If you can confirm the issue is on a particular board take a close look at it for any broken leads on components. One of mine wasn't working and found a leg on one of the transistors broken off causing an open. Replaced it and working again.

#6300 2 years ago

What is the best ROM version to run in STTNG? My game currently has LX7 in it now.

#6308 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

There's so many hacks in my machine that make no sense. All I can imagine is someone dropped the switch wiring behind the ramps, and instead of removing the ramps they pulled the wire out the back of the playfield, and removed the flasher so they could stick it through the hole. The flasher wires were left dangling under the playfield.
I have a restore thread here where I'm documenting all this crazy stuff.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-ten-forward-ran-out-of-booze-initiate-self-destruct-sequence

On the bright side at least it looks like most of the splices were covered in heat shrink. I had quite a few that were soldered with nothing covering them or insulation to protect from shorts. Luckily the wires were spread out far enough not to touch.

Looks like you're making great progress!

#6335 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

So I still have 5 switches out and haven’t solved it yet. I found a fuse that was out and that fixed the GI. But the 5 switches all on the same switch matrix are out. I have a tech alert to check all 5 of them. Is it either the power driver board, or could it simply be a bad switch? Are switches daisy chained together such that you could have a broken wire or cold solder and lose 5? Maybe that’s a dumb question.

Which switches? Could be any of the above. Maybe a bad diode as well. Are they actual switches or optos?

#6339 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Yep, coin door closed works. Just the 5 switches. It’s weird because the coin door buttons for the settings also stopped working, so I tried simply replacing the door. That solved everything for a few days, all control buttons worked and even the 5 switches came back. But now the switches are back out, but the coin door buttons work. I can go into test mode and all switches work except those 5.

Was there ever any corrosion on the MPU? If there was and it made it down to the connectors it can get in the ones in the harness as well. Worth looking at those in case the MPU has been replaced before you got the game.

#6348 2 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

So my pro in Michigan got my mpu board all fixed up today! Removed that roasted IC at u20, installed a socket and the replacement IC. Also installed a lithium battery for me. And tested the board in his personal STTNG machine ! He’s the PRO! He’ll be coming out on Friday to do the rest of the troubleshooting.

That's good that you got it going. Coin Cell? I've done those on request but still prefer NVRAM as long as the clock isn't needed. Ended up putting NVRAM in my STTNG. It's in a socket now so could go back to regular SRAM and coin cell if I ever wanted to.

#6364 2 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

I put one in my last one and my others have them fitted but to be honest I think I will be leaving the old plasma one in for a while and see how it goes, they cost £420 or $585 US around here these days! Yeah they are pretty nice though.

You may want to look into the PIN2DMD as an alternative solution since I think Star Trek is one of the machines that the colorization is complete. Going to be installing one in my STTNG and have one in my ID4 which looks amazing. My get an actual ColorDMD for my Dr Who since that is the only one that seems to have full colorization for that title.

#6381 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Does anyone have a drawing of how to cut the 3rd pop bumper?
I'm picking one up and I'd like to add that to it.

You may want to check these out if you haven't seen them as they add that third cap and look like a nice upgrade.

http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/star-trekthe-next-generation-popcaps-p-24.html

#6382 2 years ago

Can someone confirm the way the upper rollover lanes behave? I think the wires to the lamps or switches on the outer rollovers are reversed on my game. Then the ball rolls down the center that one lights. At first I thought I had a flaky switch that wasn't registering but then noticed it would light the opposite rollover for the outside ones. So for those I need to ensure the opposite rollover is unlit in order for it to register. Really odd and is probably just a wiring error and one more hack to undo.

#6386 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Rollovers should light the corresponding light(left, middle, right). Any flipper press will move the lit lights to the right.

That is what I expected and it should be like my other games. I'll have to check to see if the wires going to the two outer switches are swapped of if the ones for the lamps are swapped. Will take a look in the manual to see if those wires with color codes are called out. Maybe there are some good reference photos of the wiring in that area in this thread.

My playfield is fine when in place but kind of a pain to pull out until I get a chance to properly fix the wood rails it slides on.

#6409 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

wait what??? The playfield isn't supposed slide on any wood rails.

Probably the ones in the lower back part of the cabinet that the playfield slides on before it hooks onto the metal. Mine are messed up and I need to fix those soon. Makes it a PITA to open it up and do any work under the playfield,

#6442 2 years ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

Yes - they are loaded. All ready to play press start and a ball is loaded into catapult. Press fire and ball is launched to start game and immediately a 2nd ball is loaded and auto fired.

Are all the other opto's working and the ones in the subway?

#6468 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Hiya all. So my quest to solve the 5 switches out on my STTNG continues…(all 5 switches are on the same switch matrix, the 3 neutral zone switches and the ramp entry switches for Alpha and Beta). So I dropped a new backup power driver board into my game to see if that was the trouble, same thing - game works fine except those 5 switches. Hoping that narrows it down for you smart/tech guys. Is it one of the 5 switches that’s bad? Anything else to check? Thanks!

Since you’re in the area it would be possible to try your MPU in my machine to confirm if your MPU is still fine. As long as it’s ok then more likely a wire off under the playfield or some other issue.

If it is something in your machine I have a friend in the area that does in home service. He is the best around, fair priced, and highly recommended.

1 week later
#6513 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

That could be. Weird that it would be severed in the middle of the wire. Like it could be deliberate.

Possible it got caught on something and severed that way.

#6516 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Several issues to manage when deciding to do the "Non-Glare" glass.
* Cost of course (they are all about the same....)
* Shipping Cost (this varies greatly) and yes, I know it's glass.
* The are for main manufactures producing this specialize product. VooDoo and Invisiglass are the leaders.
* It appears special care is required for cleaning, not sure the details however will be learning more.
* Do they make a widebody version? Some DO NOT. The Williams machine owners like STTNG and Indiana Jones, etc. need this.
Machines of 25 years or more usually have tons of scratches and abuse. So when doing a restoration, I had to determine if it was worth the expense verses other costs (PinSound / Color DMD) and so on.
In the case of my machine, with the additional lighting, color displays and all of the other stuff, I finally decided to make the plunge. This is the first experience I've had with such an upgrade.

Will be interesting to hear if it makes a difference. Haven't see it in person before. One upgrade that did help a lot was just the bent plastic piece to block the DMD glare from reflecting from the glass. That made a huge difference and ended up getting them for the other DMD games too.

#6535 2 years ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

My opinion yes, for sure fix the board. No need to bypass or add something because you have problem. I think it a couple caps and 2 bridge rectifiers, fixes it.
Someone may even sella kit nowadays.

On almost all of the boards I’ve worked on the bridges were fine. More times I’ve seen issues caused by people changing parts that weren’t bad and damage the board since they didn’t have the proper tools. If the large caps have never been changed then it would be good to start with those. I’d only do the bridges if they test bad. I’ve got three driver boards in for repair now and most of that is clearing off all prior work and fixing hacks from prior bridge and cap replacement. Also have a burned connector to fix.

Need to be careful on the large caps with the snap in leads. I’ll typically heat them with two irons and have my son pull them out. Small caps can also go bad and check for bad connections at the 5V regulator. If they’ve never been done change all 5 large ones. I’ve pulled out some that read less than a 3rd of their rated value and the other specs were awful.

If you can determine that a reset occurs when certain coils fire you may have a bad diode on that coil. You may also have a really poor IDC connection with an intermittent connection.

3 weeks later
#6578 2 years ago
Quoted from oradke:

Seriously? Is that a common thing in the US?

Not too common but not unheard of either. During peak times when everyone runs their AC the voltage can drop in older neighborhoods. I have two of these:

https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU

I keep setup and can watch the power on each leg in the house. They are also great for seeing how much the games actually draw.

A few weeks ago we had one leg drop by 20V. If for some reason the power is low you may notice it in your game.

1 month later
#6751 2 years ago

If you can't make up your mind about red or blue of purple there is always blurple:

https://www.pinballlife.com/pop-bumper-blurple.html

#6755 2 years ago

My STTNG has a been pretty solid since going over all the boards. Just the other day it started launching two balls at times instead of just one. The first ball is fine but if I start out with locking a ball then it ends up launching two after locking that first ball. I’m guessing opto issues but haven’t dug into it yet. Want to see if I can get it isolated over the weekend. I know the opto boards for the trough were rough so will check that out again. I finally ordered a fresh set of trough boards for it.

#6762 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

My STTNG has a been pretty solid since going over all the boards. Just the other day it started launching two balls at times instead of just one. The first ball is fine but if I start out with locking a ball then it ends up launching two after locking that first ball. I’m guessing opto issues but haven’t dug into it yet. Want to see if I can get it isolated over the weekend. I know the opto boards for the trough were rough so will check that out again. I finally ordered a fresh set of trough boards for it.

Swapped out the IR transmitter board for the trough and game is playing again as it should. The original one has a lot of prior work. At least three different styles of IR LEDs were used. Different shades of the plastic on them reminded me of old Christmas lights. May eventually get a new set of IR LEDs later and rebuild it as a spare.

#6764 2 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

I've been dragging my feet for too long with my STTNG - it's really time for me to consider pulling the trigger for PinSound and a color dmd....

From what I’ve read PIN2DMD is also a good option for Star Trek. I was really happy with the one I installed in Independence Day and have one ready to install in my STTNG. Did a quick test and the colorization looked good.

#6771 2 years ago
Quoted from mtadams29:

Hi folks, hoping someone can help me. I just replaced the original CPU board with the PIN_TEK 89 board and replaced all of the ribbon cables. Everything looks connected fine, however, when I power the machine on I get no playfield lights at all, and the DMD display is not showing the start up screens, almost appears scrambled if that makes sense? I've replaced a few fuses that blew after the install. The D19-21 LEDs on the board are not lighting per the specs. 21 stays lit as it should, but 19 is also staying on constantly. I'm guessing I have something plugged in wrong, but I can't figure out what it is! Any assistance would be great. FYI, I am an extreme novice here, so, if you can explain it like you would to a child that would be best. Thanks!

What was the game doing before you installed the new board? Was there battery damage? If so did it travel down into the connectors?

Do you have a link to the specific board you bought? Did it come with the ASIC and game ROM or did you move them over?

When plugging in the ribbon cables have you triple checked orientation and that they are plugged in off by 1 pin?

#6790 2 years ago
Quoted from mappy24:

FYI, I replaced the plunger, sleeve, spring etc. but the problem has started again, the plunger is magnetised and keeps sticking to the bracket.
I've got a demagnetizer on my Amazon Wishlist but in the meatime I've just gone back to plan A and fitted little bits of stick foam that my wife had in her craft drawer to prevent the plunger coming into contact with the bracket. Working great so far!
The only other problem I'm having at the moment is with the popper that feeds the left cannon, occasionally the ball will fail to make it out and fall back down again causing the machine to search endlessly. I think I'm correct in saying that coils generally don't go bad so I'm considering replacing the sleeve, spring, plunger again, unless there's anything else I can do? I can't see how optos would come into this one, unless there's an opto to detect a ball in the plunger and it's not being detected?[quoted image][quoted image]

I think the ridge on the coil sleeve is supposed to be on the other side of the bracket.

1 week later
#6843 2 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

You could find something similar in any WPC-89 machine. The problems here are not confined to STTNG.
There is no such thing as "normal jumpers suggested to install". The "normal" board has NO JUMPERS. Jumpers are an indication that someone who worked on the board (and probably should not have worked on the board) pulled through holes. It amazes me that it looks like 1/3 - 1/2 (33%-50%) of the through holes were pulled by the technician doing that work.

This! I just went through 4 WPC drivers for people and took care to fix them properly so no jumpers like that are needed. Combination of stitches and at least on the bridges being able to solder both the top and bottom of the PCB.

#6848 2 years ago
Quoted from koji:

Where is the source for the recommended jumpers? I couldn't find anything related to the older WPC boards on pinwiki for recommendations.
I have tried to hold back on mocking the original work tho.. as I understand it, this is often a person trying to hack in a repair quickly, with what they have on hand in who knows what kind of location back in the day... likely any of us could be guilty of that kind of thing given the context and era.

The recommendation is to not mess up the WPC driver board in the first place! There are no recommended jumpers that I am aware of for the WPC driver boards. All those jumpers were added to the back of the board because someone did not have the proper knowledge and/or equipment to work on those boards. They basically F’d it up and the jumpers are a bandaid. When they removed the caps and bridges (most of the time the bridges are actually ok) they pulled out the through hole plating and damaged traces. Because that happened they added all the jumper wires. I’ve gotten boards in for repair like that. I end up stripping off all the parts they messed with, rebuild traces, create stitches using wire or excess leads from components, fix pads, and carefully assemble in an order that lets me solder both the top and bottom of the board under the bridges. When I’m done no extra jumpers on the bottom unless there are some traces that got vaporized.

I rarely ever run across a bad bridge on the boards. If it happens it is usually due to some idiot overfusing the board or other parts of the machine. Never overfuse. It can damage a bridge if it is the next weakest component. There are many places online that recommend replacing the caps and bridges. Caps yes, bridges no. The original caps are usually due for replacement and are often reading way low. The caps should be carefully replaced. Unless the bridges are bad just leave them. People often cause problems by removing them and damage the board.

Early Bally and Stern driver boards should have jumpers added on the back of those boards to tie the two 5v sections together and jumpers to tie grounds together. Gottlieb needs ground mods on their early boards

#6864 2 years ago
Quoted from mtadams29:

Hi everyone just curious if anyone has seen these? Running the display test on my machine cause I had some funky lines. I recently replaced, well, everything in the backbox basically. I am getting the pager error on both test 1 and test 2, so the B(1) and B(2). Both show the 8 with lines and 7. The RAM DATE ERROR one is annoying since I replaced my CPU board with a PINTEK that has NVRAM and never touched it. The EPROM is new as well.
Also, as far the the lights in the backbox go, are they supposed to be on? I have one or two that illuminate, and all of the flashers work, but the others stay off no matter what test I run. Bad sockets? The bulbs all look fine. Something I can test with a meter?
Thanks for all the help folks!
[quoted image][quoted image]

That is coming up under display test? What about the DMD controller board? I’ve repaired several where the 8K SRAM chip failed. In the picture it looks like you may have the LCD ColorDMD installed. I’ve never used one of those but possibly an issue with that?

What happened to all the original boards? Those can usually all be rebuilt. I’m running all original boards in my machines. Exception is the opto boards for the trough. Aftermarket boards are an improvement there.

1 week later
#6912 2 years ago
Quoted from mtadams29:

Good call on 112, it was bad. I replaced it an voila, flippers! Voltage at TP6 is reading at 87.4V. Seems way to high to me.

Was it a reimported game? Maybe it is high tapped. Some people just cut the wires for the transformer and crimp them together instead of adding a jumper for the proper voltage. I’ve heard it happens quite a bit. You’ll have a fast machine but my friend always says he sees bent targets and ramps because of over voltage.

#6956 2 years ago
Quoted from Thehipster:

So here we go. I am embarrassed to admit this but if it helps someone in the future it will be worth it.
I went to check the voltage for the optos at your suggestion at J118. I pulled back the wire harness that was obscuring it to find that the connector had been pulled off the board along with the other two.
Switched on and everything worked as it should.
The cable loom is pulling it down and bending the wires so I am going to have to secure it somehow.
After a couple of games the pin could not locate balls and I discovered that J118 connector was slack and being pulled down by the weight of the cable loom. I reseated it but the trough was sending out two balls at a time during gameplay so I may have to check the opto IRs.
I will keep you posted as I have some free time tomorrow night UK time.

Nothing to be embarrassed about. There is so much going on under there that things are hard to see. You may very well end up helping someone else out who runs across a similar issue.

#6977 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Guys, read my post in his thread.
I already did my caps.. and already did some work.
I'm not saying it's the end all be all, but it does work.

Usually installing quality caps fixes the 5V issues. Also needed is replacing the small axial 100uf cap if it is the silverish blue one. On many boards I also have to clean the mounting for the main 5V regulator and resolder to the PCB. Any bad connection there any you notice it. If the cap fir the regulated 12V was never changed check and replace that too. Seen several of those leak and etch through traces. Rarely do I have to replace bridges but occasionally do.

If you see that silverish blue 100uf axial cap on the MPU change that too. Those are garbage. Everyone one I’ve tested is bad.

I think the reset board has its place and great for troubleshooting.

#6981 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Caps aren't the problem. I replaced with quality 105degree caps sourced from digikey. I don't do capkits because you don't know where the caps came from or how long they've been on the shelf
Thanks for the advise, hopefully someone else will find it useful

Then those caps shouldn’t be a problem on your board. I also get them from Digikey or Mouser and those all test well before installing. I’m sure others may not always go with a trusted source.

Still worth double checking the bolt and nut on the 5V regulator.

1 month later
#7133 2 years ago
Quoted from mtadams29:

Thanks! It was a huge help, the one in the current board is definitely bad. Will try and replace it soon. Wish me luck!

If it is bad bend it back and forth at the body of it to break the leads. Then heat the leads one at a time to pull out. Clear the solder from the holes afterwards.

Just one method that works well. There are multiple ways to do it so if you have a method that you prefer use it.

I've replaced the transistors on these boards before. In one case I had to replace one of the resistors too.

#7136 2 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

anyone have a source for replacement 2K trimmer pots for the STTNG eddy pcb's ? I want to replace mine but want to make sure I get the right ones, Digikey and Mouser have what looks like it might work but want to be sure. The williams part number is 5014-1 0260-00.
Here's what I found so far: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Amphenol-Piher/PT10LV10-202A2020-S?qs=pCZPOPZMYPhb8H8I5oW3PQ%3D%3D

Those look like the right ones.

#7140 2 years ago

I had to replace one and it used the smaller 10mm horizontal trim pot. I would have probably ordered some like the link you posted but I found some of the exact ones stashed in my parts bin so didn't need to place an order.

#7177 2 years ago

Have any of you tried to install the extra tantalum caps on the back of the driver board to help ensure there is a solid 5V coming from the driver board as described here:

https://flippers.com/will-tips.html#Thermistor

He is right about the datasheet on the part and that the WPC schematics have an error. One important piece of information that is lacking however is the workoing voltage specs of the caps used. When using tantalum caps I always try to use ones that have at least 3 times the rated working voltage. I'm going to use ones rate at 50V on the input and 35V on the output (could be a bit lower on the output) which are ones I have on hand.

#7180 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I would never install extra tantalum caps. They tend to fail as a short circuit and catch fire.
Honestly; Even with the LM323K datasheet saying Tantalum - You are far better off putting a Ceramic 1uF with low ESR.
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/kemet/C410C105K3R5TA/12701220
seems to be about perfect for that application and the price is right.

That ceramic should work well too.

I totally understand your reservation about tantalum caps and that when they fail most of the time that failure is a short and they smoke. I've run into that many times in the past but more so with ones from the 80's timeframe which totally suck. Lots of problems with those.

I don't use them often other than replacements but they can be used safely. They should have a rated working voltage at least 3 times what the working voltage in the circuit. That is what I've read as a best design practice when using them. The quality of the ones made today (good brands from a reputable source like Digikey or Mouser) are excellent and shouldn't have the quality issues like the early ones.

They are not my first choice to use but will occasionally use them as long as there is plenty of buffer on the voltage rating. Unfortunately that note about working voltage is missing from that original link about the update and if people arn't aware or factor that in then they can definitely see fireworks.

#7220 2 years ago
Quoted from pinfarmer:

Only 15 dollars for this tiny piece on Marco. WTF. Pinflation is hitting the parts market too I see.

My drop target assembly was a complete mess. Just bought the entire brand new assembly from pinball life. Was totally worth it and ended up being cheaper than buying the individual parts to rebuild it.

#7241 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Comment. I love to work on, and improve my STTNG. Likely I spend more time enhancing, modding, and improving it more than playing. I don't profess to be a good player, however I am pretty good at repairs.
Here is the point, from working on a lot of pinball machines... Some things are beyond my technical scope to fix with confidence, such as specific components on motherboards. And in the case of my STTNG pin, it had a horrible life previously, with hacks, bypasses, burnt sockets and broken parts. Worse than I could have imagined when I purchased the machine.
So the issue of the practical side of reliable repair, sometimes requires board replacement. In parts, time and labor it's more practical for the average guy. It's amazing to me to see on forms comments which shame people for purchasing a NEW board instead of using a repaired Williams board from 28 years ago.
Parts aren't cheap, so if a HomePin or Rottendog board works, why not use it? Williams certainly isn't making them anymore, and my machine works fantastic with them.

Usually the opto boards are good just to replace since those are often burned up, hacked up, etc. The other board are often saveable. I've rebuilt all the boards in mine (and undid many hacks) so all the rest are nice original boards . Except for the DMD which was an aftermarket board when I bought my machine, If you want your original boards repaired there are options. I do repairs as well as several others. My machine gets a lot of use as a test jig to verify boards that I repair for others. If it works in Star Trek then it should work well in any other game.

Other than some connectors I need to replace/repin my game is electrically solid and plays well. Need to work on the cosmetics when I finally get a chance to bring it home. It really is an awesome machine and the gameplay is fantastic on it.

#7274 2 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

Anyone have problems with the eddy sensors working in the Mirco playfields because the ball sensor isn’t routed deep enough to sense the ball rolling over it up top ?

I haven’t heard that but even if it isn’t routed at exactly the same depth can you account for that by readjusting to sensor board? Are both acting up?

#7291 2 years ago
Quoted from Nacman:

I have two commercially available boards. One is from Rottendog and the other is a copy of theirs basically. Both boards have fewer components and and it appears they both may have addressed the floating signal issue with the sip package. However, the Rottendog has a schematic that is wrong and they will not update it. The other board has no schematic I can find.
Both use 13N10L transistor as they are advertised to be "Newer" and fewer components needed. I all for newer and less components if it can be explained.
The boards, when in my machine work, however, I do get more chattering on the drop down/popup target blocking lock. I don't know why.
The most important reason for me to create a nearly identical Williams board is many of our best contributors here and elsewhere are most familiar with the idiosyncrasies of original boards we use, boards we repair. Finally when different people with different skill sets, solder on these older boards many times over, the traces lift and the through hole connectors are pulled out needing a trace be built. The traces on the board I produced are larger (not much, but larger) and even though I don't know the cooper amount used on the original, this one is made with a 1/2 ounce process.
I produced the board to be identical to the Williams original with the two enhancements for protection. People who have no issue replacing transistors probably have stock of those already.
There are no enhancements ( doesn't drive any more circuits but is is more robust in protecting things) (see Link below)
https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation
"PinSider Inkochnito offered the following technique to further bullet-proof the 8-driver board. The mod adds a "pull down" resistor to each of the data signals to the 74ALS576 which prevents those signals from "floating" in the event that the ribbon cable fails or has been disconnected (either on purpose or by accident).
In the PinSide post, Peter shows the 8 Driver Board, a 10k resistor SIP, and a single 10k resistor. Tie the CLK signal of U1 (pin 11 of the 74ALS576) high via the single 10k resistor., it is no different than the A16100"
To my knowledge - No one produced a board incorporating those enhancements directly on the board electronics until the board I caused to be produced.
-Nacman

What have you found wrong on the Rottendog Schematic? Actually if there is truly an error they will update it. They are doing that on one of their other boards. I believe the new owners are working on updating them and plan on posting all the current schematics to help support the users of their boards.

#7294 2 years ago
Quoted from Nacman:

Let me be clear. I am happy that ANYONE makes boards. I have a RD in my T2. But specifically to your question, the schematic I have (pic attached) that came in the box from RD shows the Transistors used as 20N10L but what is on the board is 13N10L. I haven't checked to see if it is a suitable replacement, I bet it is, but the schematic or the board are not reflective of the same thing. There is also 1 or 2 resistor values if memory serves me, that don't match the schematic or vice versa the board doesn't match the schematic.
I don't feel like digging out my ESR meter to test which ones are wrong, but I remember realizing these errors when I was troubleshooting what I thought was a Driver board issue. It ended up not being the case for that issue but that is when I found the discrepancies.
-Nac[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for the note. I'll let them know about that one as something they need to check.

#7331 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

You have a power supply issue.
Have the same problem... I band-aided mine by swapping in a khar reset eliminator:
https://www.kahr.us/daughterboard.html
But I haven't root caused the underlying problem

Possibly have connector issues (bad connection) and if never replaced it may be time for new large capacitors on the driver board and the small 100uf axial caps on the driver and MPU. Just be VERY careful if you replace the large ones since many people end up pulling out the through hole plating which requires additional work to repair.

#7340 2 years ago
Quoted from Thehipster:

I re-seated all of the connectors on the power and mpu boards and everything is working as it should. No more reboots.
I have a feeling that this is all related to my 'accident' with the wire looms when I pulled three connectors off the boards and bent some pins.
I think I am going to have to send out the boards for re-pinning.
Incidentally, for those who know about my previous problem with the looms, I have now got the technique to lift the playfield without damaging anything including my back.

Why would you need to send out the boards? At worst the pins can be straighten and if some of the solder joints cracked reflow some fresh solder. No need to replace unless the pins have been bent back and forth too many times where they will break, they have broken, they are heavily corroded, or burned up.

Most of the time the connector pins can be straighten like it never happened.

1 week later
#7373 2 years ago
Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

I don't have any optos . Previous owner replaced them with regular flipper switches. Works great.

Someone put leaf switches on the game I bought too. Surprisingly the two main flippers worked but not the upper right flipper. Got two reproduction opto boards, plastic interrupters, return springs for the interrupters, and repin New connectors. Now they work like they should.

#7387 2 years ago
Quoted from Koosan:

Hi there !
I am new here on the forum. I got a STTNG pinball bought in France 8 years ago and brought it back here in Canada. I LOVE IT! Made few repair on it during years, so far OK, even if I am not a pro.
I bought recently a ROTTENDOG A12697-1 replacement board, because I had too many voltage issue (burnt moldex, Gi problems ...) and I wanted to buy my peace of mind
Got it today. Mount it. Everything works fine now, everything back to normal, except this :
when the shield flashlight turns on, the right cannon moves. It makes small on/off movement, synchronised with the light.
In test mode, when I go to the Shield flashlight test (Flash test 23), it does move the cannon, even if I don't push the high voltage button under the front door. So does it mean that the ground wire for the gun motor is shorted with the ground wire for the shield flashlight?
Have you guys any idea of what is the problem and where to check?
I checked the wires under the playfield, don't see any shortcut.
Waiting for your help ! Thanks !
BTW I come from France, so, sorry for my approximative english speaking

Do you have any pictures of your wiring in the backbox where it connects to the driver board and also the cannon wiring under the playfield. The wiring on many of these games gets hacked up, etc and maybe one of us can spot something. There are so many variables that it is difficult to help without more details.

Can you check for this issue? Maybe it is a short on the mounting?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/warning-to-rottendog-wdb089-owners-check-it-now

You mention your old driver was burned up, etc. Were any of the connectors burned too? Were those fixed and wired exactly the same and verified against the manual? What did it do with the old board in it? Do you have pictures of your old board and details on the messed up areas?

Often people pop in a new board but that won't solve issues that are in the game itself.

4 weeks later
#7465 2 years ago
Quoted from PinHigh1:

My eddy proximity sensor isn't working. LED on the board stays lit. Potentiometer adjustments don't turn it off. I see there is a guy in AUS selling the board. Just curious though...anyone figured out what is going wrong? Is it the pot going bad? Wondering if I can just repair this. I've ready about changing the R1 resistor...just curious if anyone knows. Otherwise I'll just buy a board. Thx!

Have you looked over you board closely for any cracked solder connections? Broken leads on components? I had a bad board on mine and found a broken lead on the transistor on the board.

#7469 2 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Definitely have to agree with this. No evidence for my opinion other than looking at the schematic. I would doubt that any of the passives are out of specification. Better odds with a guess that the active components are the problem.
[quoted image]

Aren’t there at least two different boards? That schematic doesn’t look like the ones in my Star Trek game.

#7472 2 years ago

I guess it would be good to pull out the working board to see if it is the same or if someone had replaced a board and put in the wrong one.

One wasn’t working on mine. I swapped the board from side to side and confirmed it was a problem on my board. On the bad board while looking it over on the bench noticed one lead was broken (cracked) on a transistor. It was right at the body of the part and hard to see but it was open. Just replaced it and fixed the board. Had to be one of the simplest repairs and felt luck it wasn’t worse.

3 weeks later
#7540 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

there is opto’s in all the resting spots where balls lie…. You have a sporadic one somewhere. You need to have all 6 balls first in test mode in main ball trough under switchtest where if you activate any they pop up… with the balls in trough they should be closed .shake game just a little and see if any go on and off for sporadic ones.. may need to reflow solder on a resistor , if all checks out play game so balls go into the in game subway rest stops and check for reading closed when ball is in them. Those resistors are on the 16 opto board and may need reflow if sporadic switch..
The opto resistors or the opto goes bad is usually the issue. Good luck. Check them switches even the one switch where the borg ship ball sits

I had a flaky IDC connector going to my trough optos and would cause all sorts of odd issues and it would often launch two balls. I ended up crimping all new pins on and installing them in a new connector shell.

1 week later
#7600 2 years ago
Quoted from Thehipster:

First image ball out of machine. 2nd pic balls in machine.
[quoted image][quoted image]

On the connectors going to the opto board do they still have those horrible IDC connectors where the wires just press in? I was having all sorts of issues on my game and could tell that it wasn’t in good shape. At least one of the wires pulled right out. I temporarily pushed them all back in but as soon as the parts came crimped new pins on each wire and put in a normal shell. No more issues after that.

Bad connections will cause all sorts of intermittent issues. If you have the coin door open and the switch test selected you can carefully reach in and wiggle the cable to the trough optos and see if they go on and off. If they do then replace the connectors on the harness going to it. Also carefully look the rest over for any hacks, etc.

It’s totally worth it in the end. Star Trek is an awesome machine!

#7610 2 years ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Here is a suggestion for every pinball machine owner, if your machine is not new.
Cracked Header Pins and Cracked Solder Joints
Examine the header pins
Cracked header pins cause all sorts of problems, cause game resets, things not working.....
Reflow the solder on every board
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Not just reflow. If they look like that you really need to remove the old solder too.

On older boards I’ll pull the connectors out since the oxidation gets in where it was cracked and the pin is oxidized too. With it out I can clean the part that goes in the board then reinstall an use fresh solder.

#7626 2 years ago
Quoted from Thehipster:

Are these any good?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Take a really close look at that electrolytic capacitor standing up on the board. I saw one board where that leaked and etched the traces under it causing an open connection for the power on one of the LM339 chips. I fixed the traces and replaced the cap. All good after that. Not saying that is the issue here but something that should be checked.

1 week later
#7671 1 year ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

I just bought the same translite for my machine and now I need to change some led colors. Can you show what color LEDs your running for this alt translite ?

I typically use frosted white LED's which seem to work well for just about all translites. Some people use color but it has to be used carefully. Some people do a good job. Others get an awful LED kit from ebay.

3 weeks later
#7737 1 year ago
Quoted from dscapo:

No credit dot and never resets.
Just seems to “lose its place” when it’s been powered on for awhile or sometimes action gets frantic late in games/ multiple players.
I had attributed most of the faults to dirty opto switches and a beyond filthy subway before.
It played much better and stopped the multiple ball feed issues I was having.
I’m wondering if something happened when replacing the two connectors in the head and installing the tie back. I did that a week after the cleaning.

Does your game have all original boards or aftermarket boards installed? If original boards have they ever been serviced? Any hint of battery corrosion on the MPU board or connectors? Have the large caps been replaced on the driver board and the smaller ones used for the 5V supply? If not it is probably time to replace those. I've had some that were less than half the value they should have been. Usually don't have to replace the bridges unless someone overfused or did some hacked prior work on the boards. Mine acted flaky until I went through and rebuilt the driver. Of course I had to rebuild all the boards on mine except the DMD driver which had a new replacement board in it when I got it.

#7738 1 year ago

I need to do some work on my machine to fix the playfield since it is a huge pain to lift up and work on. difficult to latch and I've noticed that the back corners of the playfield are chewed up a bit. Is that common on the back corners of the playfield?

I bought a set of Data East playfield brackets that are like the ones on my Rocky and Bullwinkle. Plan on installing those on Star Trek and that should take care of those back corners for good.

Just need to get the game in the basement so I can finally really clean it up. Such a beast of a machine to move!

2 weeks later
#7794 1 year ago

A friend made a custom topper for my STTNG machine. At the moment the color selection is manually controlled but I may try to make it a bit more interactive to change colors with the game. I think he is willing to make more of these. Probably just under $100 if it works out. Will get some pictures to see how this prototype looks on the game.

STTNGtopper (resized).jpgSTTNGtopper (resized).jpg
#7799 1 year ago
Quoted from ray-dude:

Folks, I’ll soon be receiving a ST:TNG. It will need new cabinet stickers on the head. Any advice on who is selling the highest quality reproduction cabinet art these days?
Looking forward to playing this gem of a machine again!

Interested in new cabinet decals for the head as well.

1 month later
#7887 1 year ago
Quoted from MANTO1975:

Thanks Manny65,
yeah, only looking for an original board,
cheers
Trevor

With an original board make sure you do the mod to add the resistor pack and resistor on the back of the board. Also do the tie back mod on the game.

1 month later
#8051 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeSinMD:

For anyone that saw my post yesterday about the issue with the error message coming up saying close the coin door to use the buttons. I pulled the board to examine it and this thing still has batteries mounted to the MPU. One of the legs that holds the battery holder to the board is clearly corroded. I have had the game for several years and never had any issues with it. I’m sending it off to have it looked at and have NVRAM installed So I never have to worry about this again. I’ll let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks. Mìke

If there was corrosion take a good look at the 2801 and LM339 chips and the components below the battery. Depending on how bad the batteries leaked those often need work too and possibly traces repaired.

2 weeks later
#8120 1 year ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Some of my games have remote battery holders (this was how they were when I bought them), while others are their original design (ie on the CPU board). Running lithium batteries I'm less concerned about leakage and I use Pinside to track when I last replaced the batteries on each of my games.
Grab one of DumbAss tieback boards (posted above), as this is a plug & play solution.
In regards to lifting the PF, yes after pulling it forward each side will lock allowing you to fully raise the PF (slightly past vertical) where it will sit quite happily such that you can work on it.
To check the ROM version, it'll come up when you power on the game and also when you first go into the service menu (using the diagnostic switches on the coin door).

If you have to use AA batteries then the only ones I would use are teh lithium versions. They last for a long time and I haven't heard of any of those leaking yet. I have them in a couple machines. Others like my own STTNG the battery holder was removed, I unsoldered the SRAM, put in a socket, and installed an NVRAM chip. On games where you don't care about the clock then the NVRAM is a great option.

#8130 1 year ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Pinwiki shows STTNG power driver board as an A-12697-1. The manual also specifies A-12697-1. However, I see many other references that show an A-12697-3 used, and the one currently in my game that I need to replace is an A-12697-3 out of a Popeye.
I also see on Pinwiki that the earlier TZ's originally came with the -1 board and switched to -3, and also that a coindoor interlock switch was introduced. Was this the reason for the PD board change? My STTNG is a reimport from Germany and has a coindoor switch that's simpler than the usual American switch (fewer terminals & wires), if that makes a difference.
I need a new PD board for my game but now I'm completely confused as to whether to get the -1 or the -3. What are the differences between these two boards? Any help is appreciated.
Edit: Was also just reading that since STTNG was such a overly complicated game, Williams used parts on boards to control things that weren't normally controlled by those boards because they just ran out of room on the correct boards, could that have something to do with it? Flipper components on PDB may have controlled something not flipper-related?

You should be able to use either power driver board. The -1 should have the extra relay populated that is needed for earlier games and can work in just about any WPC89 game. The -3 was for later games with the flipper board which didn’t use or need the relay. Those only will work in the later games. I rebuilt a -3 for my STTNG and run that.

2 weeks later
#8184 1 year ago

After finally moving my STTNG into the basement I’m seeing a couple new odd issues. Mabe some of you have seen it before.

At times it will start the shuttle simulation while there is a ball in play. Since the flippers go dead it just drains then you end up losing that ball. It seems that at times other modes start when they shouldn’t. I have an extra MPU board and can swap that out to test.

The other is with the left cannon. When that is activated you can't fire the ball until it starts swinging back. Just last night it kicked up a ball to it while it wasn’t in the rest position so it didn’t get loaded. Ball went on the side and wedged between the cannon and wire form. I had to pull the glass to get it out.

Now that the game is finally inside I can finally clean it up and enjoy it.

#8186 1 year ago
Quoted from oradke:

You cannon problem sounds like you need to replaces the switches under the playfield. They tell the cannon when it's safe to load the ball and when to shoot.

I'll check the one for the left cannon. Thanks!

#8191 1 year ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Edit: In thinking about it a bit more, if shuttle simulation and mission modes are starting at the wrong times, they are both triggered by the ball going into the subway. So it might be an opto board issue??

I checked all the switches on top of the playfield and those were ok. Need to verify the ones for the cannons and checking all the optos again seems like a good idea.

#8222 1 year ago

Getting ready to install a PSU5 no noise on the driver board --> https://www.ezsbc.com/product/psu5-nonoise/

I'm going to keep the heatsink but replace the screws, nuts, and lockwashers.

Question is how others have assembled it. Use the thermal pad like the original? Heat sink grease instead of pad, or nothing at all and just bolt it together?

Looking for best practice when using these.

Thanks

#8229 1 year ago
Quoted from jadziedzic:

I keep the heatsink (for cosmetic reasons) and insulator when I install a PSU5; there's no need for grease as the PSU5 is very efficient and runs cool. Definitely be sure to use #6 split lock washers and discrete nuts instead of the KEPS nuts (with captive toothed lock washers) as I noted over on Pinwiki to avoid potential shorts to components on the PSU5 board.

This is what I just did on mine. Read about how the captive lock washers could short things out. I hadn't planned on the grease but saw that one person had used it. Kept the insulating washer. Just finishing up some other repairs and then this driver will be ready to run.

1 week later
#8249 1 year ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Looking back through your posts you have new boards - Pin-Tek CPU board, New Fliptech board, Rottendog 8 driver board (and I think maybe a Rottendog Power Driver board), Pinsound sound board, Pinsound DMDLux board, and ColorDMD; but you also seem to be continually blowing fuses although only intermittently which is always harder to troubleshoot.
The only thing in common between the 4 flipper fuses and F103 (which relates to the 8 driver board) is the CPU board, yet that is new as noted above although you installed the ASIC and game ROM (I'm assuming from the original CPU board). So I wondering whether there is an issue with the ASIC or the CPU board itself; and I also see that you have a Bride of Pinbot which uses the same CPU board and ASIC as STTNG - therefore I'd suggest taking the CPU board from BoP and dropping it into STTNG (move the STTNG game ROM over to the new CPU board) and see if the problem still exists.

If you have NVRAM on those MPU boards do NOT just swap it between BOP and STTNG specifically! I just ran into an issue where someone did this on those exact two games and caused something I had not seen before. The MPU from BOP would not boot in STTNG when the display connector was plugged in at the top of the MPU. Unplugged it would boot. If I pulled the NVRAM and put in a fresh one it would work. It seems that some of the data kept in NVRAM from BOP (maybe regarding the Alpha display) prevented it from booting in Star Trek. I then took the NVRAM that kept it from booting and ran a memory test on that which cleared it out. Put it back in and it worked. If it was normal RAM you could just pull the batteries. I was really surprised since I hadn't heard of it happening before. When I get more time I may try it again to confirm and then see if I can figure out why that happens.

1 month later
#8339 1 year ago
Quoted from Deleenhe:

No idea but it’s huge.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

That is the LCD version. The LED version is smaller and the same size as the regular DMD

2 weeks later
#8465 1 year ago
Quoted from Deleenhe:

I am having a problem with weak ball launches. I discovered the wrong coil on the launcher, changed it for a 23-800 per the manual but it is no better. I only reach the sinkhole about 20% of the time. I took a slow motion video of the launch and it seems the catapult arm is not moving with enough speed to keep the ball from falling into the bottom rails of the wire form and losing a lot of speed. It is then basically just rolling off the spiral portion of the ramp and hitting the wire gate on the lower side of the sinkhole. Flippers and other mechanisms seem strong. The mechanism seems to move very freely, what should I be checking that might be causing the arm to move slowly/weakly?

Besides what others mentioned I would look over the whole machine inside. Are there any signs it was exposed to moisture? If the game was a reimport it may have spent time in a shipping container. Parts will get rust on them and connectors will oxidize. If there is oxidation on the pins of the driver board or on the connector it can build up resistance there and you can lose power.

The other is look for signs that the driver board has had prior work. If someone replaced the coil they may have had to replace a transistor or more on the driver. If they did never assume any prior work was done properly or correct parts used. Some people do great work but unfortunately there are a ton of hacks out there that should never touch boards. At least half or more of the repairs I do is stripping off all the horrible prior work and redoing it.

#8469 1 year ago
Quoted from Deleenhe:

I was doing this today and I didn't find any moisture evidence but I did find that the ground braid in the cabinet has been broken and does not have continuity from side to side. It looks like the playfield may have caught the braid and broken it on the right side of the machine and someone just captured the end of it on the right rear leg mounting bracket.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
I am guessing this is a very bad situation as nothing on the right or front of the machine is actually grounded. Until I can get some braid, I will solder in a piece of wire to connect these two sections.

My cabinet is chewed up in a similar way. Also one of the springs is missing on the right playfield rail making lifting the playfield and working on it a pain. I've got some 3/4" aluminum angle that I am going to put over the wood rails in the lower sides of the cabinet. The back corners of my playfield are worm but I have an set of rear playfield metal slide brackets from a DE LW3 and a Gottlieb Stargate. Going to see what ones work best and that should resolve the problem of sliding the playfield so no more wood on wood. ALso have new springs for the playfield latches. Hoping all that fixes it.

1 week later
#8514 1 year ago
Quoted from DragonLord:

On my game, the both flipper buttons move the lit top lane roll over (above the pop bumpers) multipliers to the right. Is this normal code for this game? In most games I've played the left flipper would move the lit shot to the left and right to the right. Is there a way to adjust this?

Not sure what games you are used to playing but just about all of my games the lane change only moves the unlit spot to the right. Or lit spot. This is across Gottlieb, SEGA, and Williams/Bally.

1 month later
#8658 1 year ago

If you don't want to run the patching utility on your computer I found an online site where you can do it:

https://www.marcrobledo.com/RomPatcher.js/

#8714 1 year ago
Quoted from ingo333:

And that's the only thing we are asking for: if you have any input or ideas for additional LX-9 tweaks or there are problems you have with LX-8, please don't hesitate to report them. Here, via PM, over at flippermarkt.de or via email to [email protected]

So far the new code looks great. I may have run into an issue. Not sure if it is with the new code or an opto issue on my particular game.

On the first and 2nd balls I locked both to get closer to multiball. When it started the multiball the cannon loaded and was able to launch it righ tinto the scoop under the borg ship. It seemed to register the hit but then there was a pause and went into ball search. When I get a chance I will see if I can manually try it again with the glass off to see if I can reproduce the issue. Again, it may be a false alarm and it could end up being an opto issue in my game.

Would like to hear if it works ok for others.

#8716 1 year ago
Quoted from ingo333:

We've tested really a lot with more than 10 machines without seeing any problems before the release and I have now received several reports that LX-8 works for them without any problems too but you are the 2nd one that reports that... and both of you doing 2 locks to get closer to the Borg Multiball... I've tried to reproduce it already 3 times today, no luck.
Having spent quite some time in the subway last year (check my avatar), I have seen several places where balls could get stuck down there.... so it's really hard to tell, if it's the firmware... the next time you see that happen, try to open the door before the ball search kicks in and maybe you'll find a ball somewhere...
Anyway, I'll keep trying to reproduce this... and thanks for reporting!

I will definitely check that. Should be able to spend some more time on it this weekend.

2 weeks later
#8790 1 year ago
Quoted from maur:

As others have said, colordmd is fully compatible. I have it and LX-8 has caused no problems.
Maurizio

I have a Color PIN2DMD in mine and LX-8 works well with that too.

#8834 1 year ago
Quoted from spidey:

I tried installing an EEPROM that didn't work, and when I put my LX7 back in, the game locks up after about 1 minute. I did take the CPU board completely out but I believe I put all the cables back in place. Any ideas?

Do you have NVRAM in the machine?

#8836 1 year ago
Quoted from spidey:

I believe I found the problem. Years ago I did a poor repair job on one of the large capacitors on the power driver board and I must have bumped it when removing cables. I pushed it back in and then I was able to play for a while. I had pulled the through hole copper connector out removing the old cap and had put a piece of solder in there as a substitute. Still not sure how to really fix it better.

Will need to add a stitch. I've had to do that often on WPC driver boards I get in for repair. Lots of people end up pulling out the through hole plating when replacing the large capacitors. With the capacitor removed clean out all the solder (a quality solder wick helps) then on the top where the trace is scrape off about 1/4" of the green solder mask. Tin that. Then take a scrap lead from an LED, resistor etc and make a small L shaped bend. Put it in the hole at the edge and solder the top of the L to the trace. It will stay in place after re-installing the capacitor and complete the circuit. I like using the LED lead scraps since they are square and fit better. You can fix it.

1 month later
3 weeks later
#9057 11 months ago
Quoted from math08:

Well, got the board off, there are three pigtails on the back. The yellow wire is coming off of J 115 and goes to one of the Triacs. I have no idea what the two red wires are for. The larger one comes off of J 102 and goes to one of the two components under the large rectangular aluminum heat sink. The smaller red wire seems to come off the other component under the large rectangular aluminum heat sink and goes to something else on the board. The last pic is the back of the header on J 121.
Is the board toast?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

That board is definitely not toast and I have rebuilt way worse. Unfortunately I see quite a few drivers like this with the jumpers added on the back. Someone not familiar with board repair removed connectors, bridges, and caps but when they did damaged the PCB and ripped out the through hole plating on some of the holes. Happens way too often.

I typically strip off all that prior work and then start over. Will add missing pads and add stitches with wire in the holes and ensure soldered on both sides so that all those jumpers will go away and the board looks and acts restored. Lately I have been installing new 5V switching regulators to reduce heat. Those work great on most of the drivers.

That can be saved.

#9059 11 months ago
Quoted from Days:

STNG is way more complete than some recent games, don't see any need of it. Just add a led color dmd and a pinsound, and it's already the 2.0

Don't forget about the awesome new version 8 code that came out for the game! Definitely thankful for all the effort put in by those that developed and shared new code with the rest of us.

#9062 11 months ago
Quoted from Days:

indeed! If STNG could get an update in code with some extra stuff? of course, all machines can get always better, but when you see those kits , they are cool, but are for very basic games , like the wirlwind, bride of pinbot and that gives real update and missions etc, stng have already nice missions, and great animations.

Definitely some of the machines can be improved and thankful for those that step up an invest their time to do so. STTNG is one example. The PEMBOT code for Pinbot and the new Bad Cats code is another

Some of the new 2.0 code for the games is a nice option. I m ok with the original BOP but it is awesome that people have the option of the 2.0 if they want.

1 week later
#9112 11 months ago
Quoted from ray-dude:

Time has come to move my daughter's STTNG into her room (to make room for my next pin
Alas, the door way is 1-2" too narrow for the head.
Any tips for removing the head from a STTNG? I have not done this before for any pins, so all advice appreciated.

Take lots of pictures! It can help to label each of the connectors as well.

1 week later
#9137 11 months ago
Quoted from DarthPaul:

It can never be easy.
[quoted image]

That image needs to be in the “Pinball Horror Pics!!” thread. WTF were they thinking? So many hacks connecting to the opto boards keep coming up. Besides the lamp connectors on the driver this seems to be one of the most hacked boards.

2 weeks later
#9202 10 months ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I’ve 30 yr originals and they are fine, stop gas lighting

Are you guys kidding? Maybe you were lucky and have a game that wasn’t played much. Those original harnesses can get chewed up bad. The ones on my game had been spliced many times in the past by previous owners and a couple of alternate wires to replace one where the wire broke. I think the harness for my left cannon is acting up again. Definitely replacing both when I get to shop out my game.

3 weeks later
#9339 9 months ago

Nice description of all the variations and changes. Even if the labels are gone it will be easy to tell if a board is a A-18543-1 or A-18543-2 and if needed changing two caps and a resistor would convert those boards.

1 month later
#9493 8 months ago
Quoted from PinJim:

My dmd died last night. Some poking around and I found the obvious, missing high voltages.
I pulled the board and can see some shitty previous work, grrrrr. I tried to clean it up but I think this board is beyond salvageable.
I’m not about to pay for a colordmd. Guess I’ll try and find a reasonably priced replacement board. Any suggestions? I’d love to find an original board, but guess most aren’t much better than mine….[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I’ve fixed worse. Now that the parts are off start by washing the board. Get all the old flux and dirt off so you can see what you have to work with.

#9496 8 months ago
Quoted from PinJim:

The old flux won’t come off. I’ve scrubbed it with alcohol over, and over, and over.
I’ll try to save the board, but for sure there are some missing traces.

There are different types of fluxes. Try using the AWESOME cleaner in the spray bottles from dollar tree with an old toothbrush. It is sort of a yellow liquid. Works better than alcohol on some boards.

Missing traces happens. I use solid telephone wire to bend up and make new traces. Sometimes have to replace pads as well.

1 month later
#9646 6 months ago
Quoted from Thehipster:

I work on the theory you live and learn. This opto on the flipper switch has enlightened me.

At least you had optos on your game. When I go mine someone had removed them and installed regular leaf switches. Upper flipper didn't work. Put in two new flipper opto boards, etc and got is all sorted out....

1 month later
#9683 5 months ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Was thinking of adding a color dmd to my STTNG. I never really thought about the LED version. Always bought the LCD version for my past pins. However after installing a color LED one on my friends Avatar, now I’m torn. Thoughts?

I put a Pin2DMD in m any STTNG and really happy with it since it is one game where the Pin2DMD colorization is really well done. I will probably go with an LED ColorDMD for my Doctor Who.

The LCD is great for some machines but the LED versions look better in others and are a lot easier to mount. Doctor Who is one of the machines where an LCD install would be a pain.

2 weeks later
#9725 5 months ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Just found this very odd mod at Pinball Life. What are they smoking over there, and how can I get some?
[quoted image]

I’d expect that to come out on April 1st.

Now we need to see the picture of it installed.

2 weeks later
#9744 4 months ago
1 month later
#9808 3 months ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Working on a deal to bring this game back!!
Is the new LX-8 rom the way to go and does someone sell that rom?
Also back in the day years ago when I had my first one it had a modded shuttle, klingon BOP, and Romulan ship which I no longer exist I think (definitely not the shuttle). Is anyone doing modded ships for this game anymore?
And is the pinsound upgrade a must for this game?
Thanks for any advice

Some people have the Pinsound board and think it is fantastic. Honestly I think the original sound track and sound board are just fine as they are. The one Pinsound board I tried I wasn't happy with it and sold it first chance I got. I don't think it is a must have upgrade.

The LX-8 ROM is a definite improvement and one I would do for sure. That and either the LED version of the ColorDMD or a PIN2DMD (which I have in my game). The color display is a definite upgrade and adds value to the game.

#9842 3 months ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Now that all the Pinsound noise has died down (I realize that it is relevant to the machine we all love, not everyone uses a Pinsound nor cares about using a Pinsound - perhaps a separate STTNG + Pinsound thread?) and responses to technical issues won't get lost ...

I would load the six balls while still in switch edge (or level) test. The most likely cause is the trough opto transmitter board if it still OEM since those 270 Ohm 2W resistors like to desolder themselves, or they have been poorly repaired in the past.
@fourlights: if you're unsure then post an image of the trough opto transmitter board. It is the green board not the blue one. You can post an image of both if you want.

Pictures of the connectors going to the trough boards would help too. I've seen the connectors and wiring hacked up almost as often as those boards are trashed.

#9852 3 months ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Side by Side comparison. Rottendog vs Victor's 8 Driver Board. Improvements throughout.
* The addition of the needed pull down resistor
* The addition of the Tie Back J9 Connector
* Better connectors throughout
* Socketed Rom
* More robust electrical design
* Better on board labeling / identification
* Grounded board to backbox
[quoted image]

Victor does a fantastic job on his boards and does look like a great option for someone if their board is bad or missing. If I needed one I’d buy one. But if running a nice original board that is working there really isn’t any need or advantage to buying any replacement board. Just update the original which should cost under a $1 for parts (excluding shipping) and doesn’t take much time to add the resistor pack and extra resistor on the back. I’ve done that on mine and those for friends that use the same board in their games. I haven’t looked at the Rottendog version or had one but should take a look to see if it could benefit from a similar simple mod.

2 months later
#10335 15 days ago

The LX-8 (and eventually LX-9) ROM is a must have upgrade. Would Definitely recommend going to a color display (Either ColorDMD or PIN2DMD) as well. But for sounds I'm happy with the original sounds on this game. Never had the desire to change them. The one time I tried the Pinsound was on a Dr Who and it was a complete and utter disappointment. With the original speakers and then tried a higher end set of speakers. I wanted to like it but it just did not live up to any expectations. If it had worked things may be different as Dr Who is one that can definitely benefit from a variety of mixes. Luckily sold the Pinsound and have no desire to waste money on another. Some people use them and love them. Maybe the one I got was just a dud but it soured me on trying another. So you may or not have luck with one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 85.00
$ 9.95
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.99
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 63.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club?tu=robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.