50146242-6525-4B6F-A6E3-2AFD65C96BB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2200.jpg
orca-image-1514668461402.jpg_1514668461799 (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Guardians Title (resized).jpg
IMG_1137.JPG
1079jeb (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kvan99.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#373 6 years ago

It's got lots of shots...and Groot is nicely done. Borg is da man.

#518 6 years ago

I don't mind that it's like MET and IM mash up. It's a proven layout, what will make the game is music, callouts, rules and lightshow. Lets see how they sum it up. I mean it's hand drawn art, with sculpted toys and LCD. I just hope the rules and multiplier bullshit are not borrowed from GOT or SW.....please god..please.

#585 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

If you want to see some real genius in playfield layout, look at the left / right loop shots on Dialed In - the overlapping metal ramps combined with the ramp lock shot. Never done before.
The point is, you can innovate if you try. Or you can put another bash toy in the middle, that works too.
GOTG looks fine. Art is a little busy but fine. Standard fan, nothing really mind blowing. Non-interactive toy. Probably plays okay, nothing crazy. In short, it’s safe. Maybe they’ll surprise us with software but with Lonnie on it, probably not. All in all I am basically neutral on this one - I like the theme but nothing about the game stands out as a Must Buy.
I guess I’m glad they’re still making new machines. That’s good.

Trudeau had wild ideas but they seldom worked. That's why Lawlor is who he is, he's got incredible layout design talent. I\ve mentioned this before, just look at one of his worst games Monopoly, the layout and shots are genius.

#843 6 years ago

Yeah, the plastic ramps are the only item that's not great.

#849 6 years ago

Nothing wrong with them, I was exactly talking aesthetically. Personally, I would like to see some creativity when it comes to plastic ramps, how about a Xenon tube instead? Or a scuplted ramp like SS?

#863 6 years ago

You guys better start buying the toys from ebay before the modders buy them all.

ebay.com link: US SHIP Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 Peter Quill Star Lord Cosplay Masks Light

#897 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Hoping pinball browser can work on spike as we could add in songs over the score.
Not having the songs is a huge huge miss. Even if they had a few mixed in it would better. I'm way bummed and feel like Metallica is still the better buy.

Damn....not even one song? Pinball browser is good for call outs, not sure how it would work with a song clip. I hope you can, cause the 80's vibe is a big factor in the theme.

#968 6 years ago

Shiiiit, can they do that?

#1662 6 years ago

Best part of the cabinet....if it was me I'd have that in the center.

ROCKET (resized).jpgROCKET (resized).jpg

guardians-of-the-galaxy-groot-rocket-2 (resized).jpgguardians-of-the-galaxy-groot-rocket-2 (resized).jpg

#1682 6 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

I could see "cherry bomb" song being dropped when you start one of the multi balls that would be awesome!
» YouTube video

I dunno, I keep circling back to "Hooked on a feeling" It's more recognizable from the movie.

#1781 6 years ago

Nice, but 12" figures are too tall....I think.

#1791 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

AS is an amazing game regardless of which model you choose. I’ll never get rid of mine no way.

Okay!

#1819 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

No - those figure will work just fine. Just cut a whole in the playfield for the legs to fit through like Stern did on the 18" figures on XM.

Lol...Zing! Good one.

1 week later
#2308 6 years ago

Man, I can't say I'm loving the LCD programming.....it looks so disjointed, like a bunch of random clips thrown on the screen.

#2342 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

No, I am serious. Stern is in desperate need of an art director with experience in game animation to fix their anemic efforts making their LCDs come alive. This is what, four games in to the Stern LCD age and it still looks like a class project? The animation and general polish isn't even in the same league as the 20% finished PotC that was shown.

Yeah, I agree but I'm not sure what the fix should be. I mean do we actually want movie clips or perhaps it would be better if they had screen stills? I just can't see how this can work in a pinball game. I'd rather have a character live action video clip for key shots and the rest of the time have animation on the screen. Just cutting and pasting the clips just does not look right. I can't explain it, the future of pinball LCD would look better if they use the movie clips and mixed them with animation. For example the WOZ ball lock was the ball rolling down the hallway in the castle...or the Hobbit ball lock was the the ball rolling down the rope bridge in the troll tunnel. It was still the movie but it was manipulated to belong in the pinball game. Not the haphazard way the video clips are playing in this game. If the future is going to look like this then I'd say bring back the Dots.

#2484 6 years ago

Wow...It's like Groundhog Day.

#2865 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Don't take me seriously. My experience and time in this hobby speaks for itself. I don't need your validation. In MY OPINION, their last phenomenal game was Metallica. I'll throw Walking Dead in there as a good one - I'm not a fan of it, but I know it's good. Everything since then has been mediocre to horrible.

Yes!

#2868 6 years ago

What's amazing is that games are being shipped with .65 code..? If the code is almost a copy of AS and the layout a mash of IM and MET then 80% of the work is already done before they even start. I dunno, I like Borg and I think his talent is being wasted at Stern.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#2918 6 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

I actually just did and can. If you don't get the take home message then I can't help that. If anyone wants to argue quality has gone in the shitter then you in de Nile!

Yes, and ultimately only the loss of sales will drive change at the head of Stern. They need to ask why is there so much vitriol about us in the past couple of years. Only then a change of management and philosophy can come about. Until then it's Stern that's living in denial.

#2950 6 years ago

Yeah everybody shutup and lower your expectations. Send money now!!

#3000 6 years ago

What a load of crap. Don't bitch about Stern? Yeah Ok, first you thank these jealous guys who got Stern to include 2 songs on GOTG, you can also thank guys like KPG for getting you all new PFs for all the f-ed up GBs. While you're at it you can thank the guys on here who made them finish the final X-Men code..etc...etc.

#3133 6 years ago
Quoted from wontwa:

Stopped in the local retailer and put some games on this yesterday afternoon. As someone who's never owned Metallica or Iron Man but really enjoys playing them, prefers this theme to either of those, and is interested in picking up another game - this checks off a lot of boxes. Beautiful game, shoots well, sounds quality is great, display looks nice...but as others have said, with no call outs, video clips and sound queues happening for no apparent reason, too many placeholders, etc. it was extremely difficult to feel any level of engagement with the game. It felt like I might as well have been playing a nicer version of one of my kids' toy pinball machines.
Having been through the NIB X-Men experience, this code felt way worse than that out of the box - and I have no intention of ever repeating that experience again. The game has a lot of potential and I hope to pick one of these up down the road but it's nowhere near ready yet, unfortunately.

Now this is a useful and objective critique. Thanks

#3168 6 years ago

Well, to be fair he said they were ranging from mediocre to horrible. In reality, most of those games are mediocre, except for MET and TWD. GB was an anomaly, it had the potential to be one of the modern-day greats but because of the F-d up airballs and rules, it was DOA. I was close to pulling the trigger on an LE but I backed off due to pf issues. However, after a few dozen plays I was baffled by the way the ball was flying all over the pf...lol. I couldn't understand it. It wasn't like a first time designer or a new company had made it, so I decided not to buy because this game had some design issues that new code or I could not fix.

PS: I think AS is all around OK, nothing extraordinary but not bad either. I guess we're all waiting and hoping for another MET or Tron.

#3190 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmicjim:

I think it’s time for a new pin that doesn’t have mode selection. I’ve always enjoyed games that started modes during gameplay. There’s something rewarding in that. It’s missing from select a mode games. I’m not saying it’s better, but maybe they should mix it up. That’s why all of these pins feel the same to me.

Maybe because the people coding are tournament nuts who play games for the highest score..? I agree though, this ruleset is not the best, I mean look no further than GOT and SW. I like the layouts (We'll overlook the art and toys) but every time I play those games I have to ask ppl what am I shooting for now.

#3192 6 years ago

Fair enough but it's not only me...I tried watching a tutorial, check it out even Chris Bucci was asking for help Skip to the 8:30 tick.

#3512 6 years ago
Quoted from speederice:

What is jarring to me is that the movie clips just play out regardless of what is happening on the playfield. This works for a music pin, which can just play a song in the background as you play through a mode but it is not the same for a movie-based game.

Good observation. This is the issue. As I said before, they need still frames or animation spliced with movie scencs to integrate the game play with the video. This is just lazy and unenthusiastic.

#3659 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

...and you're coming off as a rape enthusiast. You're confusing empathy for smugness. That's on you.

Whoa now....from PC hater to a rape enthusiast is a big leap. Let's just get back to how bad GOTG is. I bet we can get a Pinsider to do all the callouts as Yondu...how's that sound? Yondu would be easy to emulate. Pinball is a Hick hobby anyway.

#3699 6 years ago
Quoted from yancy:Deleted post

Wow. Calm down Nancy.

#3703 6 years ago

She took that pic of her own free will. She knows what sells. I say more power to her.

#3730 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I mean that is a HUGE positive. Who saw that coming?
Cleland is awesome!! I love that guy and of course Lyman.
Let's give GOTG a chance.

Yeah, that's great news.

#3821 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Picking your mode/mission before plunging the ball is mostly just lazy code.
“I can’t think of anything interesting for the player to do to qualify - EARN - a mode. Hey! Why not just let them pick the mode up front?”
Gary: “Yeah! And then we can just recycle that code for all our games!”.
I guess it works on a music pin to some extent, as it gets you into a tune right away. But again, better to make the player work for that tune!

X10

#3823 6 years ago

Hmm...which mode is started with MET?

#3825 6 years ago

No, I was only asking because I thought you were counting the CIU mode equally as you would say ST, CIU song pick to me is ok, because you worked for it. Even picking songs with different shots in the beginning is fine. It's the cut scenes from a movie that doesn't well, feel right. Maybe they could start the game off with a short preamble mode then you'd have to hit something to start a mode. I know this is the traditional way to start a mode but it may work better for a movie pin rather than browsing through the different scenes and starting something on command. I can't help but think again this evolution is a bit lopsided toward tournament play.

#3879 6 years ago

Well. Besides Pulp Fiction his efforts haven't exactly been Citizen Kane grade.

#3889 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Hes smart, he kinda stole a whole bunch of styles from euro films to kung fu and film noir then put them all together with a little bit of overkill to shock people and it worked. Pulp Fiction as a pinball machine to me sounds ridiculous but then again my top pick for a pin title is Robocop based on 1 and 2, need the Nuke, need it. I also hold Robocop in the same regard as Lawrence of Arabia and Dr. Z, 3 of my favorite films. GOTG plays really nice I hope Stern doesn't kill it with terrible voice work but I have a feeling once code matures someone will make a version with movie dialog and many added songs, hopefully a Slayer version like TWD.

That's true...he did rip off the HK movie "City on Fire" story outline. Good on you for knowing that bit of trivia. Anyway, I actually really liked Res Dogs. That and Pulp Fiction are the only discs I have at home. The story was Tarantino was a video store clerk in L.A. and he used to watch all the HK action flicks while he was at work.

#3891 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Just out of curiosity I would love to hear a director that you feel all their work is on Citizen Kane level, even the rest of Orson Welles movies are not on that level.

Paul Verhoeven is the man.
Sorry I'll let this get back on topic.

Ahh..I was just making a point. Orson Wells was a freaking genius and to be honest, CK is considered great because of its technical mastery and a great plot for its time. If you get a chance you should watch his interview with Dick Cavett. As far as geniuses go, I do like Wes Anderson's movies a lot. I think he deserves a lot more credit for his work. I can watch "The Fantastic Mr. Fox" and The Grand Budapest Hotel 100 times and not get bored.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 22.50
$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,495 (Firm)
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 25.00
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kvan99.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-is-here?tu=kvan99 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.