2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,260 posts
  • 503 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Mnluz
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 392 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

CDC61D8B-FD6A-4D64-A69E-01294E9E947B (resized).png
ED493CEB-E58E-4946-97C9-FCCE99E36547 (resized).jpeg
F119E176-AD5E-4740-8FF9-BD0F26A2515A (resized).jpeg
61CCCECE-2607-4D17-96C7-E30F907A1F0D (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_3864 (resized).jpg
Jam (resized).png
2A4B0C7A-AF2B-44C4-A323-A95C678D5DC6 (resized).jpeg
50146242-6525-4B6F-A6E3-2AFD65C96BB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2200.jpg
orca-image-1514668461402.jpg_1514668461799 (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Guardians Title (resized).jpg
IMG_1137.JPG
1079jeb (resized).jpg

There are 4260 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 86.
#2901 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Seriously, the layout is a proven winner

It was a winner back in'95 with AFM

#2902 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Why would they do this? They could just make more premiums. Doesn't make any sense.

pretty simple really... marketing.

You will sell vaults to both completely new owners AND current owners.
You provide an option the customer wants (i.e. no stupid prem left ramp flap but with spinner and bomb button)
It costs you nearly nothing to make the new vault model and you can market and sell it for more than the pro while still only costing about the same as the pro to make.

There would be both prem/le and pro buyers that would upgrade to the newer version which many would consider the best of both worlds. (yeah yeah... I know all the prem/le owners claim to love the left ramp pash toy, but if we are honest it is very clunky and a poor implementation compared to the smoothness of the pro ramp)

The person whom told me is typically pretty good with info.
I personally hope it happens because the only thing keeping me from getting a pro is the lacking bomb and spinner. The only thing keping me from a prem is the stupid ramp. It would be great to see the final polish on what I think is one of the best common day games made and programmed.

#2903 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I haven't heard them say that? George Gomez has definitely stated that any remakes, reruns, whatever you call them will use the same boardset as originally supplied. Maybe TWD:VE would be an exception because they have made one with Spike tech?

I hope that you are right. The business man in me says that it makes much more economical sense to reproduce old pinball titles with current operating systems and current cabinets. Not needing to keep the stock alone would save Stern maga bucks, not to mention easier production on their line. Will not be the first time Stern has done a complete backflip.

#2904 2 years ago

More GotG stream at 530pm est with your pal tradinat0r.

http://www.twitch.tv/pinballundesirables

#2905 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

TWD has already been made using Spike technology. Stern spent a fortune developing Spike and have publicly said many times that they can produce old titles with Spike. Plenty of customers still around that would buy TWD VE. It is an awesome game for the home collection.

The point is, if there's a market for TWD with the spinner/extra magnet/walker bombs -- why not just make more premiums instead of a hybrid 'pro'. Are the ramp flap and crossbow THAT problematic that it would be worth leaving them off?

#2906 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

The point is, if there's a market for TWD with the spinner/extra magnet/walker bombs -- why not just make more premiums instead of a hybrid 'pro'. Are the ramp flap and crossbow THAT problematic that it would be worth leaving them off?

No.

#2907 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

TWDLE is my no 1 machine ever. It has the number 1 keeper spot in our home with MET and TAF behind it. All the "problematic" things that people speak of have never happened to us on that machine. Ours plays smooth as silk. I would leave the game as is. It is all about the market so Stern want to capitalise. I can definitely see how a Pro with "best features of a premium" would be very desirable.

#2908 2 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

More GotG stream at 530pm est with your pal tradinat0r.
http://www.twitch.tv/pinballundesirables

Prison Mike - Watched a bit yesterday. I thought they didn’t allow vaping in the clank. Comment?

#2909 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I haven't heard them say that? George Gomez has definitely stated that any remakes, reruns, whatever you call them will use the same boardset as originally supplied. Maybe TWD:VE would be an exception because they have made one with Spike tech?

I believe he is referring to the fact TWD was a mule for prototyping Spike in the full size games. For awhile, Stern hauled around a TWD that had been implemented with Spike boards to show the platform off.

#2910 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Prison Mike - Watched a bit yesterday. I thought they didn’t allow vaping in the clank. Comment?

if you snitch you think i won't push you up against the wall beeyotch?

screw it, going live now!

#2911 2 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

if you snitch you think i won't push you up against the wall beeyotch?
screw it, going live now!

Which way will he be facing

#2912 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

SW was great right out of the box and is quite complete a few months later. GOTG could all of sudden get a major update by the end of the month and everyone bitching will look like fools but that's the norm on this site especially with regards to Stern, wait a year if you want a complete game but if someone wants to buy now then good for them, the only stupid thing is to buy a NIB Stern and expect final code, doesn't happen.

your on drugs, SW is a big fat miss just like most of the other tittles. I hate that some amazing titles are getting wasted. I just added a spidey vault and Metallica so I know they have it in them but Greg is right it is far and few between and the quality of the machines have dropped significantly.

#2913 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

It all depends on what you're comparing Stern to. I wouldn't disagree with what you're saying. But, I'm also not 100% convinced that a passion for pinball is what's driving Stern. They definitely have a passion for manufacturing pinball... but I'm not always so sure they have a passion for the game as a driving force.

Seems like we're almost getting into a philosophical realm with this discussion. I get that people get an unquantifiable good feeling from supporting small businesses and underdogs (like Spooky or JJP) that they're not going to get buying a Stern game, and that can't be discounted. But otherwise, who really cares what management's motivation is? Either the end product is a fun to play (or fun to own) pinball machine, or it's not. There's plenty not to like about Stern's recent track record with QA/QC and release-day code quality, but it seems like a shame to let that spoil your experience playing what have turned out to be some legitimately fun pinball machines.

#2914 2 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

your on drugs, SW is a big fat miss just like most of the other tittles. I hate that some amazing titles are getting wasted. I just added a spidey vault and Metallica so I know they have it in them but Greg is right it is far and few between and the quality of the machines have dropped significantly.

Metallica wasn't exactly a home run when it first came out either. And Spider Man waited several years for the code to be updated/completed. You cannot compare a new released game to one that's been out for several years.

Rob

#2915 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I get that people get an unquantifiable good feeling from supporting small businesses and underdogs (like Spooky or JJP) that they're not going to get buying a Stern game, and that can't be discounted. But otherwise, who really cares what management's motivation is?

It can be boiled down to "you reap what you sow"

Companies like JJP and Spooky are winning "champions" of their brand and customer loyalty because they are treating customers how they want to be treated and frequently are WOWing their customers. This is what builds loyalty. The product is only part of the relationship because this is not a 'one and done' type of ownership with a pin. There can be challenges, there are parts, there is service, there is communications, etc. All things Stern has been doing the polar OPPOSITE in in recent times.... instead insisting on having their cake and eat it too... pointing to the distribution network when it suits them to hide from customers, while trying to leverage the home market for increased ASPs and margins. Yet the distributors aren't supported by Stern in a way to do it.. So Stern just keeps pissing off customers... and then when the product slides at the same time.. you no longer have that 'brand loyalty' to soften the blow.. or have customers willing to cut you some slack.

In short.. if you treat your customers like shit... they are going to be far less willing to cut you slack or stand by you through tough times.

That's what Stern is starting to face as alternatives continue to grow in viability.

#2916 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

TWDLE is my no 1 machine ever. It has the number 1 keeper spot in our home with MET and TAF behind it. All the "problematic" things that people speak of have never happened to us on that machine. Ours plays smooth as silk. I would leave the game as is. It is all about the market so Stern want to capitalise. I can definitely see how a Pro with "best features of a premium" would be very desirable.

100%. I have never had an issue with mine either. BG ramp works great. To say that pre/le owners would “upgrade” to a VE is laughable.

#2917 2 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Metallica wasn't exactly a home run when it first came out either. And Spider Man waited several years for the code to be updated/completed. You cannot compare a new released game to one that's been out for several years.
Rob

I actually just did and can. If you don't get the take home message then I can't help that. If anyone wants to argue quality has gone in the shitter then you in de Nile!

#2918 2 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

I actually just did and can. If you don't get the take home message then I can't help that. If anyone wants to argue quality has gone in the shitter then you in de Nile!

Yes, and ultimately only the loss of sales will drive change at the head of Stern. They need to ask why is there so much vitriol about us in the past couple of years. Only then a change of management and philosophy can come about. Until then it's Stern that's living in denial.

#2919 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Yes!

#2920 2 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Dang Billy, you must still have the MG crack pipe syndrome on the brain!

People should buy what they like and I'm getting a POTCCE because it looks awesome and I like the new guy. And I hope to get an Alice Cooper too.

That said, Lyman is turning BM66 into another GREAT classic, as good as it gets.

And AS is a kick ass pin too.

When you produce 3 or 4 pins a year you are bound to have some stinkers. So what.

JJP is working on their 4th pin in 6 years and Spooky is simply amazing.

I do agree that, like the NFL, they seem to sometimes work at destroying their business.

It's thanksgiving, I'm thankful for ALL the great pinball out there

#2921 2 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

I can't argue with the drugs part but SW is a great game, let us just agree to disagree regarding which games are good and which are bad (The Hobbit) and while I enjoy SM the vault edition artwork and callouts are just terrible but if you like it then fine (maybe u need some drugs) as for quality I've never really had any issues with Stern's quality so I can't comment, as long as my pins work well no offense to anyone but I don't care. I just bought a new build TWD Pre and its been great, no trouble with my SW either, or METpre, STLE, TSPP, GOTpro, Tron, SM,AV,TF,XMENLE etc. in fact I notice very little in difference from when I started buying pins in 2008 till now. Could that be because of drugs, I certainly hope so.

#2922 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I can't argue with the drugs part but SW is a great game, let us just agree to disagree regarding which games are good and which are bad (The Hobbit) and while I enjoy SM the vault edition artwork and callouts are just terrible but if you like it then fine (maybe u need some drugs) as for quality I've never really had any issues with Stern's quality so I can't comment, as long as my pins work well no offense to anyone but I don't care. I just bought a new build TWD Pre and its been great, no trouble with my SW either, or METpre, STLE, TSPP, GOTpro, Tron, SM,AV,TF,XMENLE etc. in fact I notice very little in difference from when I started buying pins in 2008 till now. Could that be because of drugs, I certainly hope so.

I don't do drugs BUT maybe its because of all the alcohol I'm drinking I can't see much difference and/or I don't give a shit, and/or the games are FUN as F.

You know the cool country song, "Billy's got his beer goggles on tonight"!

#2923 2 years ago

so who has a spider man VE for me? Kappa

#2924 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I don't do drugs BUT maybe its because of all the alcohol I'm drinking

Umm...what?

#2925 2 years ago

Apparently this plastic has a breakage issue but don't worry we are making a PETG protector for it. We will have these ready next week at Cointakers and Pinball Life

Resized_20171121_152456 (resized).jpg

#2926 2 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

I actually just did and can.

Well of course you can but its still completely ridiculous.

#2927 2 years ago

Code be damned, Im excited for my Pro. My machines are in a theater room, so if Im really missing sound/call outs for the first few months, Ill have the movie playing in the background!

#2928 2 years ago

Stern now considers 1.0 code the finished/final version. If you don't know, now ya knoooow ninjaaas!

#2929 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Well of course you can but its still completely ridiculous.

only to someone on drugs

#2930 2 years ago

The future Vault edition will be GOTG Volume 2 edition.

#2931 2 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

only to someone on drugs

#2932 2 years ago
Quoted from Laseriffic:

Apparently this plastic has a breakage issue but don't worry we are making a PETG protector for it. We will have these ready next week at Cointakers and Pinball Life

Same as Stern Star Trek ... and KISS premium/LE. You’d think they’d work out that you can’t put a thin slice of plastic over the top of a drop target ....

rd

C1A32D01-9D29-4010-ADC9-B414C914BA2B (resized).jpeg

#2933 2 years ago

It's fun and there's tons of potential people

20171122_224350 (resized).jpg

#2934 2 years ago

I just saw that Buffalo Pinball is currently hosting someone streaming GOTG on Twitch.

#2935 2 years ago

This game looks really badass. I hope it plays like it looks with no ghosting, chipping, or can separation. I will be looking for one when the code is finished and I can afford one. Right now every 6,7,8 thousand dollars I have goes to buying cars to sell at income tax time. Because of the flood there are very few cars to buy and what is out there is expensive.

#2936 2 years ago

Watching the current stream it even has same lightshow patterns as aerosmith lol...... so met layout with aerosmith code basically ? I really wish stern wld step out of the box more often like they did with gb..... then maybe id buy a few more.

#2937 2 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

I'm not spending $5500 on "potential".

I spent $60 for Super Mario Odyssey - a full and complete GAME that I've put 60
hours of time into...and we're giving Stern $5500-$8500 for POTENTIAL!?!? Unreal.

#2938 2 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

Fun means nothing around here and potential is pathetic! Perfect when shipped or it's sh*t!

Nice Jordan 4's btw

#2939 2 years ago
Quoted from chill:

I just saw that Buffalo Pinball is currently hosting someone streaming GOTG on Twitch.

It looks like the game is having ball management problems, ball search not uncovering all the balls. I am having a similar issue on mine that crops up with the ball getting stuck behind the orb target, game goes into ball search trying to find the ball and have to reboot. Looks like some kind of bug as it doesn't happen all the time.

#2940 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

hours of time into...and we're giving Stern $5500-$8500 for POTENTIAL!?!? Unreal.

Agreed. Buying a game based on what you think the potential could be is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Rob

#2941 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

thanks. I had heard from a typically reliable source that TWD vault was coming where they will have the PRO model with walker bombs, spinner, and extra magnet. I was told the only thing holding it up was that Lyamn is still busy on other titles with code.
If true, it would be enough for me to likely by a TWDve for home finally.

Why would they make TWD VE so soon though? Don't they usually wait at least a couple years after a run has ended before releasing a VE?

A pro with walker bombs, spinner and extra magnet would be awesome.

#2942 2 years ago
Quoted from facelift:

A pro with walker bombs, spinner and extra magnet would be awesome.

I wonder if a "Pro+" is something that would be detrimental to blind-buy launch sales on future games. Why buy a Pro now when an upgraded Pro might come later?

#2943 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I wonder if a "Pro+" is something that would be detrimental to blind-buy launch sales on future games. Why buy a Pro now when an upgraded Pro might come later?

Because given the slope downward on materials corner-cutting at Stern the last couple years, that Pro plus later might actually be a Pro minus because of even crappier build quality on a machine that looks similar and better but isn't.

#2944 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's great but you don't have to, why do you guys make it out like someone is forcing you to buy this game? Super Mario good comparison

#2945 2 years ago

So would you recommend AS pro or GOTG pro now?

#2946 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

That's great but you don't have to, why do you guys make it out like someone is forcing you to buy this game? Super Mario good comparison

It's a great comparison. Pinball is a game. It's not a car, a piece of art, or something to stare at. It's a game. I'm comparing a $60 game that has tons of hours of entertainment vs. a $5000-$8500 that would offer hours of entertainment if finished and tested.

No ones forcing me to buy anything...but clearly I'm a potential customer who used to buy these games and now won't. I'm not the only one. It's important to have this conversation, because if you think about it, it's absolutely bonkers to spend this much on a GAME that is not complete or tested when sold to customers. My game dollars have gone elsewhere. Maybe I'll pick up a PS4 this weekend. They're less than $200 everywhere this weekend. Just put that into perspective. You could buy a Switch, Xbox One, PS4, and like 100 games between them for LESS than a pinball machine. It's not unreasonably to expect a finished quality game from Stern. Eventually the sycophants will run dry.

#2947 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

No ones forcing me to buy anything...but clearly I'm a potential customer who used to buy these games and now won't. I'm not the only one.

Rare I respect you and your post and with no intended offense I think you need to lower your expectations a little. Quality has gone down on occasion and price has gone up, but how many times do we need to hear that you have not bought or supported Stern since Metallica. It is starting to sound like a broken record, and makes you look like a Stern hater(which I know you are not).

I guess my point is I think you need to relax a little and be thankful pinball is back in the spotlight and you have choices to buy from multiple companies. I got frustrated at Stern's money grabbing Batman 66 game release and it put a bad taste in my mouth, but I got over it quickly. I got a bad taste in my mouth when Rick with PPS started flapping his mouth at fellow pinsider's about coin mechs, etc., but I got over it and bought a MMR.

Stern has been behind the eight ball since their move and they may have rushed out machines or cut and pasted design elements to make a production schedule deadline, but they are still turning out decent, fun games imo. The only games Stern has made that I do not care for are WWF, and Batman 66 (Mainly because I am not into theme). All of Sterns other games made since Metallica are fun games.

You can argue all day long until you are blue in the face trying to convince other people not to buy "Stern Crap" because lack of code or imperfections, or bad design, etc. I think you are wasting your breath, because Pinsiders make up maybe 5-10% of the overall potential pinball buyers. This ideology of 'If we all take a stance and don't buy-Stern will learn a lesson and make improvements' is a pipe dream. Sorry but Stern is up 40% in last two years and doing very well, they take suggestions into consideration, but they will maintain their 3 title a year release regardless of production delays.

I have been very happy with all of my recent NIB Stern pinball machine purchases and I am thankful that I am in the position to be able to afford them and I am thankful that Stern is still in business making great machines.

I am not a Stern Fanboy, just a dedicated pinhead who loves pinball and wants it to thrive.

Quoted from Rarehero:

It's important to have this conversation

Yes it's important to have this conversation, but it does get old after the 100 time of reiteration(Again Broken Record)
Time to dive back in Rare and buy some new Sterns-they are a blast!

Lower your expectations and be thankful....

Lowered Expectations.png
Keep Calm Lower Expectations.png

#2948 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

thanks. I had heard from a typically reliable source that TWD vault was coming where they will have the PRO model with walker bombs, spinner, and extra magnet. I was told the only thing holding it up was that Lyamn is still busy on other titles with code.
If true, it would be enough for me to likely by a TWDve for home finally.

Stern have told distributors that TWD is on last call.

Can't comment on the validity of your Vault theory. I do think they'dbe missing a trick not to do TWD VE with comic book art in future though.

#2949 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's a great comparison. Pinball is a game. It's not a car, a piece of art, or something to stare at. It's a game. I'm comparing a $60 game that has tons of hours of entertainment vs. a $5000-$8500 that would offer hours of entertainment if finished and tested.
No ones forcing me to buy anything...but clearly I'm a potential customer who used to buy these games and now won't. I'm not the only one. It's important to have this conversation, because if you think about it, it's absolutely bonkers to spend this much on a GAME that is not complete or tested when sold to customers. My game dollars have gone elsewhere. Maybe I'll pick up a PS4 this weekend. They're less than $200 everywhere this weekend. Just put that into perspective. You could buy a Switch, Xbox One, PS4, and like 100 games between them for LESS than a pinball machine. It's not unreasonably to expect a finished quality game from Stern. Eventually the sycophants will run dry.

Comparing one piece of software with a console installed base of millions to a 250 pound commercial gaming device built by hand with no relative scale in distribution isn’t a good comparison. At all.

#2950 2 years ago

Yeah everybody shutup and lower your expectations. Send money now!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Ballston Spa, NY
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Portsmouth, NH
$ 399.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Great American Pinball
There are 4260 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 86.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside